Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...306307308309310311312313314315316...LastNext
Current Page: 311 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Date: October 18, 2021 20:45

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
RIP, Colin Powell.

[www.politico.com]

RIP

- Doxa

smoking smiley

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 18, 2021 20:59

I can't repeat it enough ... a few weeks ago I mentioned the bad situation in the U.K. following the so-called Freedom Day. Well, the number of infections is still rising (today, actually mostly yesterday, almost 50.000 !!!). "Only" 45 deaths, but that's typical for weekend numbers. On a "regular" day it will be between 100 and 200 a day.
In NL we now also see a clear rize in numbers of infections and hospitals again gradually filling up with, often NOT-vaccinated, corona patients, as such "kicking out" patients with other complications (disgusting ...).

The pandemic over? Close your borders, Norway, firmly!

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 18, 2021 21:09

The definition of a "pandemic":

adjective
(of a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world

When more countries do get a high vaccination rate then it will no longer be a pandemic for the population, but for the non-vaccinated. I.e. not a pandemic, but a virus it is possible to get protection from.

Bjornulf

Date: October 18, 2021 21:22

Not so sure about that. Isreal showed protection being a lot lower after 5 months. Uk is now at the 5 months mark. We are not finished yet i am afraid

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 18, 2021 22:00

cmc
Eight days ago my wife began feeling symptoms of a cold. The following day the symptoms had progressed. The third day she went for a Covid test. The fourth day she got the result - POSITIVE.

The J&J vaccination she received in April or May is either ineffective, or she would have been in big trouble without the vaccination. She has been bed ridden the entire eight day stretch. Fever, headache, body aches, cough, loss of taste/smell, extreme fatigue - she has experienced all.
Be careful people. Covid is still out there. (USA. Minnesota)

J&J vax has shown to be 70% effective against infection in the US, which of course is far lower than Moderna and Pfizer, but the hospitalization/death rates of the breakthrough J&J cases are almost non-existent which is great news. It also seems to be waning at a slower rate compared to the others, also good news. And it was the last one tested so might have been tested against more variants.

Good luck to both of you. Keep a check on oxygen levels, I had it before my J&J shot, and had all those symptoms too plus oxygen levels kept dropping, as low as the low-70s (worse case should be 85). After a week of being on oxygen and breathing exercises I was on the mend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-18 22:32 by kovach.

Date: October 19, 2021 00:58

From the press today:

Fauci: J&J Vaccine “Very Likely” Should Have Been 2 Doses From the Start (slate.com)

Americans who received the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine shouldn’t be concerned about the shot’s lower efficacy rate now that boosters are on the way, Dr. Anthony Fauci said. But he also said that experts at the Food and Drug Administration have made clear the company should have come out with a two-dose vaccine to begin with. “I think that they should feel good about it because what the advisers to the FDA felt is that given the data that they saw, very likely this should have been a two dose vaccine to begin with,” Fauci said on ABC’s This Week.

Bjornulf

Date: October 19, 2021 01:11

The vaccine tracker by NY Times is linked up on the first post of the first page of this thread. If you sort that table by "vaccinated" or "fully vaccinated", and look at the Top 20, then you will see those countries who are closest at getting rid of the pandemic. The further down on the table, and the lest vaccination degree, the longer the pandemic will be around in the area. Basic pandemic analytics.

Tracking Coronavirus Vaccinations Around the World (New York Times live updates)

Sure we probably need another i.e. 3rd dose for those who got their first two doses early spring, i.e. 9+ months ago, especially the elderly, where the immune system isn't that strong, but sure sure sure the vaccines are working, and the pandemic is getting under control more and more places.

Israel do have two challenges:

- They started early, so they need to give booster shots
- They have a number of people who do not want to get vaccinated

You do not win the olympics if you do not want to practice and do the hard work. Same with the pandemic. If you ignore it then it will not go away.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-19 01:13 by bv.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: October 19, 2021 04:16

bv
From the press today:

Fauci: J&J Vaccine “Very Likely” Should Have Been 2 Doses From the Start (slate.com)

Americans who received the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine shouldn’t be concerned about the shot’s lower efficacy rate now that boosters are on the way, Dr. Anthony Fauci said. But he also said that experts at the Food and Drug Administration have made clear the company should have come out with a two-dose vaccine to begin with. “I think that they should feel good about it because what the advisers to the FDA felt is that given the data that they saw, very likely this should have been a two dose vaccine to begin with,” Fauci said on ABC’s This Week.

J&J should have been 2 doses and Moderna/Pfizer three. Could you imagine how the anti-vaxxers would have approached that?

Date: October 19, 2021 04:26

daspyknows
bv
From the press today:

J&J should have been 2 doses and Moderna/Pfizer three. Could you imagine how the anti-vaxxers would have approached that?

And apparently 6 months apart instead of 2.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 19, 2021 11:26

Washington State University head football coach & 4 assistants fired for refusing to comply with mandate that state employees be vaccinated. The head coach was the highest paid state employee.

[www.seattletimes.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 19, 2021 17:17

kovach
daspyknows
bv
From the press today:

And apparently 6 months apart instead of 2.

The one-shot J&J was always a joke. It had roughly the same efficacy as the other ones after one shot, which immediately begged the question, I wonder what would happen after a second shot?

I think it was a marketing thing..."choose us, we're one and done!"

Overall though, there were some monumentally great things that happened in getting those vaccines developed, approved and to market in such a short time. It bodes well for a future pandemic and even for other 'regular' diseases.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 20, 2021 14:53

“Why are COVID cases spiking in the U.K., but dwindling in Japan?”

Globe and Mail health columnist Andre Picard says it comes down to policy and culture 
CBC Radio · Posted: Oct 19, 2021 6:06 PM ET | Last Updated: October 19

[www.cbc.ca]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-20 15:11 by RisingStone.

Date: November 9, 2021 18:39

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-12 01:31 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: November 12, 2021 01:30

Probably another lockdown tomorrow in Holland. When does this @#$%& story end?angry smiley

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 12, 2021 11:13

I read that in Austria they are about to introduce a lockdown for unvaccinated people banning them from leaving the house for non essential purposes.
I wonder how they can enforce this short of having police out on the streets checking people’s vaccination status.

Nate

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: November 12, 2021 11:32

TheflyingDutchman
Probably another lockdown tomorrow in Holland. When does this @#$%& story end?angry smiley
Yep, but not a total lockdown. Decision will be made today, lockdown may start tomorrow for three weeks.

Date: November 12, 2021 13:28

Nate
I read that in Austria they are about to introduce a lockdown for unvaccinated people banning them from leaving the house for non essential purposes.
I wonder how they can enforce this short of having police out on the streets checking people’s vaccination status.

Nate

In Austria only 67% of the population has been vaxxed.

They are discussing the 2G-rule in Holland as well. Let's see how it woks out.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 12, 2021 15:17

Wow we almost managed to let this thread fall back three weeks

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 12, 2021 17:10

MAF
TheflyingDutchman
Yep, but not a total lockdown. Decision will be made today, lockdown may start tomorrow for three weeks.

I always thought the crisis would be over when I could finally leave the states, and fly to Amsterdam for a vacation. Did they do King's Birthday last year? I can't imagine they would, people crammed into those narrow streets.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 12, 2021 19:39

Nikkei

Ya, I noticed this too.

Date: November 12, 2021 22:22

24FPS
MAF
TheflyingDutchman

I always thought the crisis would be over when I could finally leave the states, and fly to Amsterdam for a vacation. Did they do King's Birthday last year? I can't imagine they would, people crammed in
to those narrow streets.

No they didn't. I have been living in Amsterdam for almost 28 years and almost never cared to watch the King's day crap. It's the people that don't use their brains that keep the pandemic going - from an holistic point of view.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: November 12, 2021 23:21

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 13, 2021 01:41

TheflyingDutchman
Nate

Nate

In Austria only 67% of the population has been vaxxed.

They are discussing the 2G-rule in Holland as well. Let's see how it woks out.

Long live apartheid

Date: November 13, 2021 01:42

Nikkei

Some of us couldn't resist confused smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 13, 2021 02:33

THE AUSTRALIAN --- 13 November 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 13, 2021 02:51

Thanks, Rockeeee!

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: November 13, 2021 03:29

I can't find my country....................

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 13, 2021 09:21

From the Washington Post:

As coronavirus cases surge, more European countries consider lockdowns

Covid19

By María Luisa Paúl
Today at 3:54 p.m. EST|Updated today at 5:24 p.m. EST

Europe has once again become the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, a development fueled by slowing vaccination rates, spreading misinformation and loosened restrictions. With cases and deaths surging across the continent, countries are considering new lockdowns — and debating whether vaccines alone are sufficient to curb the coronavirus spread. Close to 2 million coronavirus cases were reported last week in Europe — the “most in a single week in that region since the pandemic started,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director general of the World Health Organization, said during a Friday news briefing. At the same time, the continent reported almost 27,000 deaths — a figure that represents over half of the world’s covid-related deaths last week, he said. “Some European countries are now reintroducing restrictions to curb transmission and take the pressure off their health systems,” Tedros said. “No country should be in this position, almost two years into the covid-19 pandemic.” Europe was one of the first regions in the world to begin vaccinating its population. However, misinformation has contributed to lagging vaccination rates in some countries — for instance in Bulgaria, where conspiracy theories have spurred resistance to the shots.

Countries have taken different measures to decrease the number of unvaccinated people. In Austria, one of Central Europe’s least-vaccinated nations, proof of vaccination or recent recovery from the virus is required to enter events with 25 or more people, hotels, hairdressers and many dining and entertainment venues, according to the government. Italy last month began enforcing a vaccine mandate on its public and private workforce. Still, European countries are grappling with rising cases — some experiencing their highest infection rates since the pandemic began. “It’s another reminder, as we have said again and again, that vaccines do not replace the need for other covid-19 precautions,” Tedros said. “Vaccines reduce the risk of hospitalization, severe disease and death. But they do not fully prevent coronavirus transmission.” The result has been countries returning to some of the restrictions seen in the pandemic’s early days. Austria’s government said Friday that it would meet this weekend discuss lockdown measures for unvaccinated individuals. The Netherlands — which saw an unprecedented 33 percent increase in cases over the week — announced Western Europe’s first partial lockdown of this winter, with three weeks of restrictions for shops, sports activities and dining that apply to all people, regardless of their vaccination status, the BBC reported. "I’m seeing the storm clouds gathering over parts of the European continent,” British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said in a broadcast while encouraging people to get booster shots. “And I’ve got to be absolutely frank with people, we’ve been here before. We remember what happens when a wave starts rolling in.”

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 13, 2021 13:03

I went to a wedding a week ago where there were a bunch of anti vax types in attendance (groom's side). Including myself, there were only 2 people wearing masks. I left after playing with some little kid friends for a bit post ceremony. A few days ago I started feeling funky (not good James Brown funky). So, I shut myself in as a precaution. I never got a fever though. Today I'm back to normal & think I should be ok to leave the house. I have a lot of unpleasant health issues going on & hadn't been getting much sleep. Yesterday I slept most of the day & today feel much better. It's sad to have to be wary of associating with people. This does reinforce my general allergy to weddings! smoking smiley

Date: November 13, 2021 16:38

Nate

Nate

I'm sorta ok with that, tired of the majority being punished for the sins of the minority.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...306307308309310311312313314315316...LastNext
Current Page: 311 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1474
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home