Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...298299300301302303304305306307308...LastNext
Current Page: 303 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 20, 2021 19:07

bleedingman
Booster Review Delayed by CDC as Debate Swirls Over 3rd Shot

"The plan is surrounded by controversy as the medical community remains divided about whether the data support a need for boosters and the World Health Organization has called for richer countries to hold off on distributing third doses until less-vaccinated countries catch up."

"The review comes as U.S. health officials are investigating emerging data suggesting that the Moderna vaccine may be associated with a higher risk of heart complications in younger adults than previously believed, according to a Washington Post report published Thursday. The article cited two unidentified people familiar with the review who emphasized that the side effect still probably remains uncommon."

[www.bloomberg.com]

Yeah, those complications have killed way more than Covid itself....... Want my booster shot. Better in me than spoiling because some dumbass anti-vaxxer won't use it.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 20, 2021 20:33

daspyknows
bleedingman

"The plan is surrounded by controversy as the medical community remains divided about whether the data support a need for boosters and the World Health Organization has called for richer countries to hold off on distributing third doses until less-vaccinated countries catch up."

"The review comes as U.S. health officials are investigating emerging data suggesting that the Moderna vaccine may be associated with a higher risk of heart complications in younger adults than previously believed, according to a Washington Post report published Thursday. The article cited two unidentified people familiar with the review who emphasized that the side effect still probably remains uncommon."

[www.bloomberg.com]

Yeah, those complications have killed way more than Covid itself....... Want my booster shot. Better in me than spoiling because some dumbass anti-vaxxer won't use it.

LOL You can have mine. All 3 of 'em. (It's still 3, correct?)

Date: August 20, 2021 21:10

bleedingman
daspyknows
bleedingman

[www.bloomberg.com]

Only need one but have friends who will take the other two. You can fight the virus with Hydrochroroquine, Ivermectin or bleach. Just tell us how it works for you.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 20, 2021 21:29

daspyknows
bleedingman
daspyknows
bleedingman

[www.bloomberg.com]

Only need one but have friends who will take the other two. You can fight the virus with Hydrochroroquine, Ivermectin or bleach. Just tell us how it works for you.

I guess I should stop being mindboggled by the fact that people don't seem to watch the news, or if they do, they think it's fake. The full-on brainwashing of a certain segment is complete.

What I don't understand, is that you have the 'leaders' anti-mask/vaxxer's that ARE vaccinated. Why put their own constituents at risk? That part is just nonsensical to me. Like that Texas Governor. He's triple vaxxed, now himself has COVID, and now is getting the monoclonal antibody treatment.

But he won't allow masks in schools.

It's insane.

Date: August 20, 2021 22:05

treaclefingers
daspyknows
bleedingman
daspyknows
bleedingman

[www.bloomberg.com]

I guess I should stop being mindboggled by the fact that people don't seem to watch the news, or if they do, they think it's fake. The full-on brainwashing of a certain segment is complete.

What I don't understand, is that you have the 'leaders' anti-mask/vaxxer's that ARE vaccinated. Why put their own constituents at risk? That part is just nonsensical to me. Like that Texas Governor. He's triple vaxxed, now himself has COVID, and now is getting the monoclonal antibody treatment.

But he won't allow masks in schools.

It's insane.

Just proves you can't fix stupid. Not sure who is more stupid, those who are in the ICU and are asking to be vaccinated or those hospitalized for Covid who isnist its not Covid. These are the Darwin award winners.

Date: August 20, 2021 23:46

Those Anti-Covid Plastic Barriers Probably Don't Help and May Make Things Worse

[news.yahoo.com]

Date: August 20, 2021 23:51

bleedingman
Those Anti-Covid Plastic Barriers Probably Don't Help and May Make Things Worse

[news.yahoo.com]

definitely gives people a false sense of security.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 21, 2021 00:48

The F.D.A. is aiming to give full approval to Pfizer’s Covid vaccine on Monday.

By Noah Weiland and Sharon LaFraniere
Aug. 20, 2021
Updated 5:30 p.m. ET

The Food and Drug Administration is pushing to approve Pfizer-BioNTech’s two-dose Covid-19 vaccine on Monday, further expediting an earlier timeline for licensing the shot, according to people familiar with the agency’s planning.

Regulators were working to finish the process by Friday but were still working through a substantial amount of paperwork and negotiation with the company. The people familiar with the planning, who were not authorized to speak publicly about it, cautioned that the approval might slide beyond Monday if some components of the review need more time.

An F.D.A. spokeswoman declined to comment.

The agency had recently set an unofficial deadline for approval of around Labor Day.

The approval is expected to pave the way for a series of vaccination requirements by public and private organizations who were awaiting firmer regulatory backing before implementing mandates. Federal and state health officials are also hoping that an approved vaccine will draw interest from some Americans who have been hesitant to take one that was only authorized for emergency use, a phenomenon suggested by recent polling.
[www.nytimes.com]

Date: August 21, 2021 01:03

So Pfizer is a "buy". In other news, Moderna is a "sell":

U.S. reviewing if Moderna shot tied to higher heart inflammation risk - Washington Post

"The review was focused on Canadian data that suggests a higher risk from the shot than the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, especially in men below the age of 30, according to paper."

[www.reuters.com]

Date: August 21, 2021 03:17

bleedingman
So Pfizer is a "buy". In other news, Moderna is a "sell":

U.S. reviewing if Moderna shot tied to higher heart inflammation risk - Washington Post

"The review was focused on Canadian data that suggests a higher risk from the shot than the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, especially in men below the age of 30, according to paper."

[www.reuters.com]

If you are referring to the stock, it is because Moderna's stock has doubled in one year. In regards to risk it is comparable to getting stuck by lightning compared to getting struck by a car while jaywalking. I will take my risk with getting struck by lightning just as I will take my risk taking the vaccine. Its a math exercise.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 21, 2021 03:26

Highly Vaccinated Israel Is Seeing A Dramatic Surge In New COVID Cases. Here's Why

"...half of Israel's seriously ill patients who are currently hospitalized were fully vaccinated at least five months ago".

COVID

Israel was the first country on Earth to fully vaccinate a majority of its citizens against COVID-19. Now it has one of the world's highest daily infection rates — an average of nearly 7,500 confirmed cases a day, double what it was two weeks ago. Nearly one in every 150 people in Israel today has the virus. What happened, and what can be learned about the vaccine's impact on a highly vaccinated country? Here are six lessons learned — and one looming question for the future of the pandemic.

1. Immunity from the vaccine dips over time.

Israel had fully vaccinated slightly over half its population by March 25. Infections waned, venues reopened to the vaccinated and the prime minister told Israelis to go out and have fun. By June, all restrictions, including indoor masking, were abolished. But Israel paid a price for the early rollout. Health officials, and then Pfizer, said their data showed a dip in the vaccine's protection around six months after receiving the second shot.

2. The delta variant broke through the vaccine's waning protection.

It was a perfect storm: The vaccine's waning protection came around the same time the more infectious delta variant arrived in Israel this summer. Delta accounts for nearly all infections in Israel today. "The most influential event was so many people who went abroad in the summer — vacations — and brought the delta variant very, very quickly to Israel," said Siegal Sadetzki, a former public health director in Israel's Health Ministry.

3. If you get infected, being vaccinated helps.

The good news is that among Israel's serious infections on Thursday of this week, according to Health Ministry data, the rate of serious cases among unvaccinated people over age 60 (178.7 per 100,000) was nine times more than the rate among fully vaccinated people of the same age category, and the rate of serious cases among unvaccinated people in the under-60 crowd (3.2 per 100,000) was a little more than double the rate among vaccinated people in that age bracket. The bad news, doctors say, is that half of Israel's seriously ill patients who are currently hospitalized were fully vaccinated at least five months ago. Most of them are over 60 years old and have comorbidities. The seriously ill patients who are unvaccinated are mostly young, healthy people whose condition deteriorated quickly. Israel's daily average number of infections has nearly doubled in the past two weeks and has increased around tenfold since mid-July, approaching the numbers during Israel's peak in the winter. Deaths increased from five in June to at least 248 so far this month. Health officials say that currently 600 seriously ill patients are hospitalized, and they warn they cannot handle more than 1,000 serious infections at the same time.

4. Israel's high vaccination rate isn't high enough.

The country jumped out ahead of all other countries on vaccines, and 78% of eligible Israelis over 12 years old are vaccinated. But Israel has a young population, with many under the eligible age for vaccination, and about 1.1 million eligible Israelis, largely between the ages of 12 and 20, have declined to take even one dose of the vaccine. That means only 58% of Israel's total citizenry is fully vaccinated. Experts say that's not nearly high enough. "We have a very large fraction of our population who are paying the price for a small fraction of the population who did not go to get the vaccine," said Eran Segal of the Weizmann Institute of Science, who advises the Israeli government on COVID-19. Unvaccinated people helped fuel the rapid spread of the virus while the country remained open for business in recent months with few serious restrictions. "That will lead to mass infection, which is exactly what we are seeing now," said Segal.

5. Vaccinations are key, but they are not enough.

Israel is trying to slow the wave without resorting to a new lockdown, which Prime Minister Naftali Bennett says would take an economic toll and "destroy the future of the country." The country is placing caps on gatherings, increasing hospital staff and pleading for unvaccinated people to get immunized. On Israel's doorstep, the vaccination rate is much lower in the Israeli-occupied West Bank and the Gaza Strip. Only around 8% of Palestinians have been fully vaccinated. Palestinians are wary of certain brands of vaccine in ample supply, like AstraZeneca's, while Pfizer-BioNTech's vaccine is in shorter supply for Palestinians. But the Palestinian population is not a source of transmission in Israel. Only vaccinated Palestinians are given permits to enter Israel and Israeli settlements. As for the low rate of vaccination in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, "we don't have a shortage of vaccine. It is the hesitancy," said Randa Abu Rabe, a local World Health Organization official working in the Palestinian territories.

6. Booster shots offer more protection — if you are one of the world's lucky few to get them.

Israel is the first country to offer a third shot of the Pfizer vaccine in a nationwide booster campaign. Preliminary research in Israel suggests booster shots significantly increase protection against the coronavirus a week after a person receives the third dose. Israeli national HMO Maccabi Healthcare Services, which conducted the preliminary study of 149,144 Israelis who received three Pfizer shots, said for Israelis above age 60, a Pfizer booster shot reduced the chances of infection by 86% and reduced the chances of severe infection by 92%. The early data reflects studies by vaccine-makers Pfizer and Moderna and provides a glimpse at boosters' effects in a real-world setting. After reviewing data on breakthrough infections in Israel, the U.S. announced a booster shot campaign beginning in late September for anyone eight months after their second shot. The U.K. has promised boosters soon, and Turkey is offering Pfizer shots to those immunized with the Sinovac vaccine to help citizens planning to travel, since some countries will not recognize the Chinese vaccine. Israel has lowered the minimum age for boosters to 40. "The triple dose is the solution to curbing the current infection outbreak," Anat Ekka Zohar of Maccabi said in a statement. Boosters are not being offered in the Palestinian territories yet, and the World Health Organization has called on countries to stop giving COVID-19 booster shots in order to help poorer countries get vaccinated. "Israel very much respects the World Health Organization but acts according to local considerations and the interests of Israeli citizens. We help the world a lot," an Israeli health official told NPR, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the issue. "If the U.N. didn't secure enough vaccines for Chad, Mali, Myanmar and Guatemala, that doesn't mean that Israel shouldn't seek to prevent a pandemic from happening here." Experts warn if countries do not vaccinate their populations, more variants will develop, threatening even vaccinated nations.

Looming question: Will we need COVID-19 vaccines every several months? We don't know.

The Cinema City movie theater complex in Jerusalem teems with young children and parents, but steps from the box office is a makeshift vaccination station where dozens of mostly older residents wait their turn to get booster shots. More than a million Israelis have received a Pfizer booster shot in the last several weeks. They are being watched around the world, as Israel is the first nation to give a third dose of Pfizer on a mass scale, just as it was ahead of the curve on the first round of shots. "They make the test of us," said Etti Ben Yaakov, sitting in a vaccination booth with her brother as he got a booster shot. "But in the first [round], it was the same. So I don't feel it's something wrong. I think it's good." She predicts the coronavirus, like the flu, will mean shots every year. "We will have to live with the corona," she said. Ido Hadari, of HMO Maccabi, which led the preliminary booster shot study, questioned whether regular shots will become the norm. "I don't know of any disease where we are vaccinated every six months, and to be honest, I don't think the public will come to get vaccinated every six months," Hadari said. "But you cannot predict anything with this disease."

Date: August 21, 2021 04:12

Stupid as f. They won't take a vaccine but will take a horse de-wormer.

Stop taking ivermectin at home to treat COVID, MS health dept. urges as poisonings spike

[www.sunherald.com]
More and more Mississippians are using a horse de-wormer medication as an at-home treatment for COVID-19, and it’s causing a spike in calls to poison control, the Mississippi State Department of Health said Friday.

Mississippi Poison Control is receiving increased reporting of ivermectin ingestion. While there is a human form of the medication that can be prescribed by doctors, residents are buying the animal paste at farm supply stories and taking it at home, according to the health department release.

The health department says taking the animal medication can be harmful and lead to hospitalizations in serious instances.

“There are approved uses for ivermectin in both people and animals,” state epidemiologist Dr. Paul Byers said in the news release. “Patients should be advised to not take any medications intended to treat animals and should be instructed to only take ivermectin as prescribed by their physician.”

Earlier this month, Singing River Health System CEO Lee Bond told the Gulf Coast Business Council that one person had been admitted to a Jackson County hospital for injecting ivermectin to treat their coronavirus symptoms.

Here’s a breakdown from the health department:

At least 70% of recent calls to the Mississippi Poison Control center have been related to ingestion of livestock animal formulations of invermectin published at livestock supply centers or farm stores.
MSDH says 85% of callers had mild symptoms, but one person was instructed to see a doctor.
There are no current hospitalizations due to ivermectin poisoning.
Symptoms associated with ivermecticin toxicity include rash, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, neurological disorders, and severe hepatitis, which would require hospitalization.

The health department is asking any Mississippi physicians, providers and hospitals who identify patients with illness related to ivermectin ingestion, either prescribed or live stock formulas, to report it to poison control at 1-800-222-1222

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: August 21, 2021 10:27

Is catching Covid now better than more vaccine?

[www.bbc.com]

"We could be digging ourselves into a hole, for a very long time, where we think we can only keep Covid away by boosting every year," Prof Eleanor Riley, an immunologist from the University of Edinburgh, told me. Prof Adam Finn, a government vaccine adviser, said over-vaccinating people, when other parts of the world had none, was "a bit insane, it's not just inequitable, it's stupid".

But there are two big questions:
- do vaccinated adults need to be boosted, or is exposure to the virus enough?
- do children need vaccinating at all, or does a lifetime of encountering build a good immune defence?

You get a broader immune response after being infected with the virus than vaccination. "That means if you had a real humdinger of an infection, you may have better immunity to any new variants that pop up as you have immunity to more than just spike," said Prof Riley. But Prof Riley said there was potential in using vaccines to "take the edge off" Covid, followed by infection, to broaden the immune response. She said: "We really need to consider, are we just frightening people rather than giving them the confidence to get on with their lives? We're close to just worrying people now."

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 21, 2021 11:09

Some info from Norway Health Authorities lately (FHI):

Israel Pfeizer study comments: The reason why some of those who got vaccinated back in Jan/Feb 2021 now get infected, and also get sick, even if they are fully vaccinated, may be because the oldest people in the population were the first ones to get vaccinated. It is common knowledge that some very old people does not always build up a complete antibody protection when being vaccinated.

Booster shots vs getting Delta when being fully vaccinated: For perfectly healthy people, who may handle an infection well, there will probably be a better protection for a fully vaccinated person being infected with Delta, than when getting a booster shot. A mild delta infection - when being fully vaccinated and healthy - may build up a wider protection vs future variants.

[www.vg.no]

Bjornulf

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: August 21, 2021 14:18

A mild delta infection is also risky. If you feel healthy again it might come back with other symptoms and you need a very good check up by the doctors. And there is the risk of long Covid (for weeks or months). Experts are still looking for a good therapy for people with long Covid.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 21, 2021 14:40

bv

A mild delta infection - when being fully vaccinated and healthy - may build up a wider protection vs future variants.

That may be valid for Vikings .... winking smiley

Date: August 21, 2021 18:52

bv

A mild delta infection - when being fully vaccinated and healthy - may build up a wider protection vs future variants.

This may be the case but should be looked at as a "benefit" of someone who already had it rather than a reason not to be careful now. Reports on this I have read also have said a moderate to severe case provides these benefits but there really have not been enough studies yet.

Date: August 21, 2021 19:36

Australia suffers its worst day of Covid-19 pandemic as anti-lockdown protests flare

Coronavirus

Thousands of protesters defied coronavirus lockdowns to hit the streets of Australia's largest cities on Saturday, as the country recorded its highest single-day caseload since the pandemic began.
The states of New South Wales (NSW) -- home to Australia's most populous city, Sydney -- and Victoria reported a total of 886 infections Saturday, amid a raging outbreak of the Delta variant.
Hundreds of unmasked protesters were seen marching through Melbourne's Central Business District before confronting police hours after a snap lockdown was announced for the entire state of Victoria. Six officers were hospitalized in the protests, suffering suspected broken noses, a broken thumb and concussions, police said in a statement. Police used pepper ball rounds and pepper spray against some members of the crowd, estimated to be more than 4,000 strong. Hundreds of fines were handed out for breaching health ordinances and 218 people were arrested -- including three for assaulting officers, Victoria police said. At Sydney's protests, one officer was treated for head and neck injuries, and 47 people were arrested, NSW police said.

Delta 'nothing Australia seen before'
The state of NSW on Saturday reported a record 825 locally transmitted cases, and also had three coronavirus-related deaths. Speaking at a news conference, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said "the Delta strain is like nothing Australia has seen before." "Even in very strict and harsh lockdowns, the virus is spreading -- and that is a fact," she added. "So what we need to do is to protect ourselves and our loved ones by staying at home, and also by getting vaccinated." NSW has been grappling with a fast-spreading Delta variant outbreak for two months, with Greater Sydney under lockdown since late June. On Friday, the lockdown was extended until the end of September, with a nightly curfew between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. to be imposed in parts of the city from Monday. In the neighboring state of Victoria, 61 cases were reported Saturday, prompting authorities to extend lockdown measures from the capital, Melbourne, to the entire state. Residents are only allowed to leave home for essential activities such as shopping for food or medicine, care-giving, vaccinations and exercise. Tensions are high, with anti-lockdown protests breaking out on Saturday in Sydney and Melbourne, as well as Brisbane, the capital of Queensland -- despite restrictions easing in parts of that state on Friday. In Sydney, protesters turned up in the center of the city despite warnings from police, who set up check points to prevent people from gathering. In Melbourne, hundreds of protesters marched through the city before they confronted authorities. And in Brisbane, thousands gathered in the city's botanic gardens, although the state of Queensland recorded no local new cases on Saturday.

'Shift in attitude'
The protests highlight the challenge faced by Australian authorities in sticking to strict containment measures. For more than a year, Australia was regarded as a success story in containing Covid-19. It sealed off its borders to almost all foreigners, imposed strict quarantines for arrivals, and introduced aggressive testing and tracing regimes to catch any cases that slipped through its defenses. But its zero-Covid strategy is being challenged by the Delta variant, which is estimated to be as transmissible as chickenpox. In recent weeks, Australian officials have signaled that they are moving away from the attempt to completely eradicate the coronavirus. Berejiklian, the NSW premier, said at a news conference Thursday that people would have to learn to live with Delta. "In New South Wales, we are learning that earlier than in other states," she said. On Saturday, Berejiklian said she had noticed a "shift of attitude about what Delta means" in her conversations with other state leaders. "No matter how hard we work and no matter if 99% of people are doing the right thing, there is an element of Delta that nobody can control," she said. "We accept that Delta is here, we accept heading to zero across the nation -- especially once you open up and live freely -- will be an impossible task." Instead of reducing cases to zero, Berejiklian said the government's job is to keep people out of hospital until vaccination rates increase. "The best way we can look forward to freedom is by making sure that we get vaccinated," she said. Berejiklian expected 70% of the NSW population over the age of 16 to be fully vaccinated by the end of October, and 80% by mid-November, if current vaccination rates continue. In other parts of the country, however, the vaccine rollout is much lower. As of Saturday, just 22.6% of Australia's population of 25 million people have been fully vaccinated -- well below the UK's 60.6%, or 50.7% in the US.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 21, 2021 19:46

Even though I had the virus over 1 year ago, I look forward to getting the 2nd dose tomorrow. I really do.

Date: August 21, 2021 20:33

Australia has had a total of 978 reported deaths since January 2020. Is that a lot? Is it worth shutting everyone down and forbidding them to even speak to one another?

[www.worldometers.info]

This link has a chart showing the age breakdown of those deaths.

[www.health.gov.au]

Date: August 21, 2021 20:51

bleedingman
Australia has had a total of 978 reported deaths since January 2020. Is that a lot? Is it worth shutting everyone down and forbidding them to even speak to one another?

[www.worldometers.info]

[www.health.gov.au]

You don't get the point at all, which is remarkable.

The reason they only have that many (which is too many still) is that they executed procedures.

Otherwise, they'd have a US-style pandemic. Get it?

The choice is 1000 dead with lockdown or prevention procedures, or hundreds of thousands without.

Why is that concept so impossibly hard to grasp for people?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 21, 2021 20:52

bleedingman

[www.worldometers.info]

[www.health.gov.au]

"a lot" ?

Like if one persons life can be measured.....? Australia and New Zealand have my respect.

Date: August 21, 2021 20:54

treaclefingers
bleedingman

[www.worldometers.info]

[www.health.gov.au]

The reason they only have that many (which is too many still) is that they executed procedures.

The choice is 1000 dead with lockdown or prevention procedures, or hundreds of thousands without.

Some people are pro-Covid and against anything that reduces the fight against public health. If only the virus attacked these people and there was no collateral damage.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: August 21, 2021 22:03

They sure kept the cases low down under, well done, but how long will Australia continue with the 0-covid strategy? If covid is going to stick around globally then they can't keep the country shutoff for so long. Military shutdowns must be damaging. How long before they have vaccinated the majority of the 60+ ?

Here's the Aussie death breakdown chart from bleedingman's post:

Few deaths under 50. More men than women are dying at 50-70years...lifestyle?
Also more women than men dying at 90+ years, most men are already dead. Death percentage is quite constant:

Australia: 43.119 cases, 978 deaths (2,3%)
Belgium: 1.160.000 cases, 25.320 deaths (2,2%)
UK: 6.430.000 cases, 131.000 deaths (2,0%)

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 21, 2021 23:30

Up to 31 August 2020 there were 682 deaths. 72.7% of people who died from COVID-19 had pre-existing chronic conditions certified on the death certificate.

Dementia was the most commonly certified co-morbidity, present in 41.3% of the 496 deaths.
Chronic cardiac conditions including coronary atherosclerosis, cardiomyopathies and atrial fibrillation were certified in over 30% of deaths due to COVID-19.
Other conditions that weaken the immune system including diabetes, hypertension and chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases were each present in over 15% of deaths.

Australian Bureau of Statistics

Date: August 21, 2021 23:59

Meanwhile, not a good way to start off the new school year...

Hundreds of Southern California students forced into quarantine over possible COVID-19 exposure

Coronavirus

Hundreds of Southern California students have been forced into quarantine after testing positive or being exposed to someone with COVID-19, school officials are reporting. For many of the students, Friday marks the end of just the first week of classes. Lake Elsinore Unified School District reports that about 500 students have been sent home to quarantine. Roughly 300 of those are from Elsinore High School alone, according to the Press Enterprise. “This exposure happening during the first week of school provided a perfect storm environment,” School District spokesperson Melissa Valdez wrote in an email obtained by the newspaper. “Since students have not been on campus for the past year many students were not able to identify classmates for contact tracing, which required whole classrooms to be impacted.” The Saugus Union School District is reporting 74 students being sent home for quarantine, according to a Daily News report. Exposed students are required to quarantine for seven to 10 days. Another 43 students in the Pasadena Unified School District were also sent home, according to the report. Ten students and three teachers said they’ve received positive coronavirus tests in the Newhall School District. “Most of our contact tracing, it’s for a minimal amount of students,” Newhall School District Director of Human Resources Ken Hintz told the Daily News on Thursday. “We have really strict routines at the schools,” Hintz said. “We believe the masks really, really help. Keeping masks on inside is the key to really stopping the spread.” At *Corona High School, a football game was canceled Friday because “multiple cohorts” within the varsity football team had to quarantine after a potential coronavirus exposure, according to the school’s website. Concerns about schools becoming super spreader sites have already prompted Culver City Unified to issue a mandate for eligible students to prove they have been vaccinated by Nov. 19.

----------------------------------------------------------
*Not a misprint or typo - there's actually a city in SoCal named Corona

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 22, 2021 00:16

treaclefingers
bleedingman

[www.worldometers.info]

[www.health.gov.au]

It's not a fair comparison.

Australia is not the US. We have more than 10x as many people, for one and the US has 1/3 of Australia's entire population packed into NYC alone - around 25-30 square miles, I think....

Politically, I think Australia has 6 states...we have 50.

and, in the end, IMO the US is (arguably) the Hub of the World for travel, business, entertainment, finance etc. etc....not the only Hub, but a bigger one than most (including Australia), IMO.

That being said, IMO, the US can't shut down the same way as everybody else for many, many reasons...some of which are frustrating as hell, I'll give you that.

We sure made a mess of it, I'll also give you that...I honestly expected nothing less, though.

"this country [the US] is the best...it's a shame we're the worst" - Sticky

(oh....and since Australia is not my country, I have no opinion - good or bad - of their policies other than "I don't think that will work in my country")

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 22, 2021 01:13

stickyfingers101

Australia is not the US. We have more than 10x as many people, for one and the US has 1/3 of Australia's entire population packed into NYC alone - around 25-30 square miles, I think....

and, in the end, IMO the US is (arguably) the Hub of the World for travel, business, entertainment, finance etc. etc....not the only Hub, but a bigger one than most (including Australia), IMO.

That being said, IMO, the US can't shut down the same way as everybody else for many, many reasons...some of which are frustrating as hell, I'll give you that.

We sure made a mess of it, I'll also give you that...I honestly expected nothing less, though.

(oh....and since Australia is not my country, I have no opinion - good or bad - of their policies other than "I don't think that will work in my country")

There are a few important differences. For example, Australia has no borders with other countries and all international travel has been pretty much stopped for 18 months.

Melbourne is in its sixth lockdown with more than 200 days of restrictions since March 2020. I don't live in Melbourne but I think the majority of lockdown has involved stay at home orders.

Recently the restrictions mean you cannot travel more than 5 klms. Many if not most people would have family outside that zone. So I can understand the frustrations. Having said that, I doubt protesting will achieve any positive outcome. And, I think it is unnecessary for the police to use pepper spray and pepper spray bullets on the protesters.

Looking at the statistics, maybe the better way would have been to lockdown those in higher risk groups - aged, with chronic illness, etc?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-22 01:25 by terraplane.

Date: August 22, 2021 02:17

In Los Angeles, Breakthrough Infections Are Now 30% Of All New Covid Cases Amid Delta Surge

“We may be starting to see a little bit of the waning of protection (provided by vaccines), particularly among older people.” - Barbara Ferrer, L.A. Director of Public Health

Covid - L.A.

In March 2021, when Americans first began hearing about the Delta variant of Covid-19, breakthrough infections among fully-vaccinated Angelenos accounted for just 2% of that month’s case total. By June, when Delta accounted for 50% of all variants in Los Angeles, breakthrough infections among fully-vaccinated residents had risen to 20% of all identified cases. In late July, county officials reported that the Delta variant had overwhelmed all others, accounting for more than 90% of all positive tests analyzed for variants. As a result, the ratio of breakthrough cases increased to 30%, local health officials announced today.

While L.A. County numbers for the Delta variant have not been reported for August, as of August 19 Delta had risen to 98% of all tests genomically sequenced in California. Parallel growth in breakthrough infections has not been reported yet, but it is likely significant as well, according to Los Angeles Director of Public Health Barbara Ferrer today. While continuing to profess the effectiveness of vaccines, Ferrer noted that the percentages of fully-vaccinated Angelenos being infected and hospitalized have also been rising over the past three months. Fully-vaccinated people represented only 5% of L.A.’s hospitalized Covid patients in April. By July, that number had risen to 13%. Overall, however, the percentages of vaccinated people who test positive, are hospitalized or die from Covid remain low — all less than 1%. Of the nearly 5.15 million fully-vaccinated county residents as of Tuesday, 27,331 have tested positive. That’s a rate of 0.53%. Only 742 were hospitalized, for a rate of 0.014%. Only 68 have died, which makes for a rate of 0.0013%. Hospitalization numbers have been steadily rising for more than a month, but Ferrer noted today that between April and mid-August, roughly 25% of the Covid-positive patients in L.A. were actually hospitalized for a reason other than the coronavirus. Their infection was detected only during a routine admission screening. She was quick to add, however, “Let’s be clear: They definitely have Covid; we’re not inflating our cases.”

Ferrer attributed the rise in breakthrough cases to the fact that there’s more Delta variant circulating now. “People are going to come in contact more with the virus,” she observed. She also sees another factor: “We may be starting to see a little bit of the waning of protection (provided by vaccines), particularly among older people.” Ferrer cited the example of early-adopter Israel, which has 60% of its population fully-vaccinated but seems to be seeing decreasing protection from vaccines. The country has recently begun a round of booster shots. “I share the concern,” said Ferrer about the increasing number of hospitalizations among vaccinated people, “but I also think the number is so much lower (than it could have been).” She noted that the median age of fully-vaccinated people in the hospital is nearly 15 years older than the median age of unvaccinated patients, an indication of increased protection among those most vulnerable. “With these high rates of community transmission, more fully vaccinated people are getting post vaccination infections. However, this very same information also makes it clear how much protection fully-vaccinated people have,” said Ferrer. “Most of us that are fully vaccinated, we don’t get infected. And if we do get infected, we don’t end up hospitalized and they are very unlikely to tragically lose their life to Covid if fully vaccinated.”

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 22, 2021 02:31

terraplane
stickyfingers101

There are a few important differences. For example, Australia has no borders with other countries and all international travel has been pretty much stopped for 18 months.

Melbourne is in its sixth lockdown with more than 200 days of restrictions since March 2020. I don't live in Melbourne but I think the majority of lockdown has involved stay at home orders.

Recently the restrictions mean you cannot travel more than 5 klms. Many if not most people would have family outside that zone. So I can understand the frustrations. Having said that, I doubt protesting will achieve any positive outcome. And, I think it is unnecessary for the police to use pepper spray and pepper spray bullets on the protesters.

Looking at the statistics, maybe the better way would have been to lockdown those in higher risk groups - aged, with chronic illness, etc?

yeah...the US having a 100s of 1000s of people pouring over our Southern Border isn't helping (I'm not being political, I'm stating fact...the border has always been a shite-show, so this was inevitable).

Personally? I don't think lockdowns work. Once they end, people go out and the spread just starts again...doesn't it?

Lockdowns are "fine" if the objective is to "Flatten the Curve" (ie. Severe Covid & ICU patients) and they are based on clear data showing a "crisis" in hospitals....

however, if the objective is to "Beat the Virus"...well, IMO that's just silly.

Covid is never going away.

Hence, IMO, lockdowns should be locally-determined and only occur in areas where hospitalization-stats justify the need to "Flatten the Curve" (of hospitalization).

where I live, there are 6 people in the hospital w/ Covid and the ICU is running at "normal" capacity (my friend is a nurse there).

Hence, that doesn't justify lockdowns.

For those who care - 4 of them are unvaccinated. The other 2 are vaccinated, but fat and over 60. One is also a smoker.

make your own conclusions.

and, no...using pepper spray, rubber bullets and billy-clubs on your own citizens rarely make people "trust" their government more.

"hey, we just beat the snot out of you....you can trust we have your best interests at heart"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...298299300301302303304305306307308...LastNext
Current Page: 303 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1796
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home