Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...270271272273274275276277278279280...LastNext
Current Page: 275 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 10, 2021 07:29

That is what I have understood for some time. You need a N95 mask (like the one Mick Jagger was wearing in the picture from the other thread).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 10, 2021 07:46

Flat Earthers - their fake belief doesn't change my life.

Climate change deniers - their ignorance has zero influence on my reality.

Anti-vaxxers - they don't pay my bills. They get COVID and spread it, they spread it. They die, they die. Not my life.

It's astounding, America - the whole "freedom" trip. First World problems. People that have never suffered like people that have suffered in Third World countries.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 10, 2021 07:46

LeonidP
Rocktiludrop
daspyknows
bleedingman
daspyknows
triceratops
daspyknows
At least in the US, the anti-vaxxers are generally the climate change deniers. They talk their talk and walk their walk.

Yes this true for me in the USA. I will not lie, I will testify. Negs on both for me. No vaxxx and no climate paranoia. Deniers! Lol upon lol.. go to China and tell them to reduce their CO2 emissions.

What are you doing to counter this mythical CO2 threat? I have planted at least 16 fruit trees outside, guess what who wants/buys the fruits most? (to be continued upon demand)

These fruit trees are sequestering CO2 and pumping out O2 (I am a 2 time Trump voter)

Your 16 fruit trees doesn't cover your big gas guzzling pickup truck. You can go to China and talk to them yourself. In the meantime, feel free to go to indoor spaces without a mask and breath deeply. Wouldn't want to impinge on your freedoms. Covid is a hoax and the delta variant is something you can only catch on a Delta 747.

Your vaccines are being proven ineffective in many cases. And fully vaccinated people are getting infected by other fully vaccinated people, as I posted in the Postponed Tour thread. Follow the science wherever it may go.

My vaccines? hahaha. I wish. Would be a billionaire if they were. But getting on topic. What percentage of the dead people were vaccinated? What percentage of the vaccinated are on ventilators? What percentage of the vaccinated are hospitalized? Less than 1%. Doing simple math. What percentage of the dead people were unvaccinated? >99.6%, What percentage of those on ventilators are unvaccinated? >99% and what percentage of the hospitalized are unvaccinated? >99%. Following the science AND the math. There will be a need for a booster shot in time. My arm is ready when it is available. I will follow THE science, you can follow YOUR science and continue playing Russian roulette.

I think it's best for people like you that live in fear to keep inside for the reminder of your life until everyone scientific allows you out again. Good luck with that, leaves more space for people like me.

You're caught in a trap, the positive tests have no meaningful correlation to illness or death, you still don't get it do you, you're being had, i know it, Mick knows it, wake up because I'm starting to pity you, you're beginning to sound pathetic.

Eggzactly! Amazing how obsessed some are with searching for reasons to still remain in isolated and/or masked. Agree, good luck w/ that, to them. As to sounding pathetic ... just "beginning"? It's been there for some time.

Vaccinated people have been testing positive with few or no symptoms, certainly few of any hospitalizations or death, which is exactly the point of getting the vaccination.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 10, 2021 11:04

terraplane
That is what I have understood for some time. You need a N95 mask (like the one Mick Jagger was wearing in the picture from the other thread).

You may have noticed that Mick's son James (walking on his right side) is "only" wearing a "regular" white Mask. Mick is a global asset, so needs to get the best possible material.

The usefulness of masks issue is a constant discussion. Technically the scientists have a point, but they exaggerate. Masks do help, but you need to see it in the total picture. The distance from virus infected people is part of it. The virus spreads through the air, but it's concentration reduces rapidly with distance. Virusses don't just penetrate through a mask. You are breathing constantly inside your mask which causes an outward flow. Adding the dilution through distance reduces any virus penetration drastically.
Asians have proven for over a Century, that masks do work. Problem these days is that young Asians have adopted a lot of the egocentric mentality of Western youth and don't want to use masks as their parents and grandparents, etc. did. This is the single prove of overall degeneration of the masses.
The current situation in for example Britain and lately also in the Netherlands has proven that now many younger (disco, nightclub, pub, small size public events, etc.) who were given freedom back, are infected at dramatic rapid speed. Politicians in both countries are still thinking they should (partly) ignore the advice of those who know what virusses are all about, so sh*t continues.
Policians, Covidiots, etc. think they are clever, yeah, but through history virusses have proven to be far more clever. They are already silently working on "ypsilon" is my guess. Luckily the human body can make antibodies or else ...
4 Million (officially registered only) and counting ...
It's Only Rock 'n Roll, but I Like it smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 10, 2021 17:58

kovach
treaclefingers
kovach
daspyknows
kovach
daspyknows
At least in the US, the anti-vaxxers are generally the climate change deniers. They talk their talk and walk their walk.

Climate change-denier is a fancy way of making those who question the cause of climate change look stupid. I don't know anybody who doesn't agree the climate is changing. But how much of it is natural vs. man-made (or cow made)? How much more should we bankrupt the country to little effect since China keeps building coal powered plants?

Oh really? Ron Johnson calls it bullspit. Watch the words come out of the horse's "mouth". I know its OT but if you don't think humans are the cause you may be. Whether it is Americans, Chinese or any one else it is humans unless only those from the US and Western Europe are humans.

[thehill.com]

I'm saying there might not be a singular cause but maybe all of the above. And unless all of the largest countries take it seriously, the US won't make much of an impact so why ruin our economy over it

How does changing the source of energy to something 'clean', ruin your economy?

You realize getting there isn't free, right? Google "cost of green new deal".

Sure, if you google "cost of pollution caused by coal, oil and natural gas".

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: July 10, 2021 18:08

Not sure if I'm alone on this, but since this thread it's been depressing on iorr, the fun and and humour has left this fan club and I've never seen so few people posting these days, and this particular thread has divided so many people.
It's not like you are going to change anyone's minds at this stage of covid, there are two camps basically and people don't switch just like Democrats don't become Republican.
Initially it was informative and served a purpose but now it's become political, I don't know, it's not really what music is about, definitely not what the Stones are about, Rock & Roll as Keith said is from the neck down, it's about forgetting all your troubles, it even has a healing effect.
It's safe to say this particular pandemic isn't going to become more of a concern in the Countries that were initially hit, possibly 99% of iorr posters are from those Countries where things are looking brighter, let's start seeing the glass as half full from now on guys, I'm done with half empty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-10 18:10 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 10, 2021 20:47

The latest in the US from CNN:

With an uptick in Covid-19 cases, there is growing alarm. 'We've seen almost an entire takeover in the Delta variant,' one state official says

Coronavirus

The US has surpassed 20,000 new Covid-19 cases for the fourth day in a row as the highly contagious Delta variant persists in its track in being the most common form of the coronavirus in the country.
The last time the country had back-to-back days of cases topping 20,000 was in May, according to the data. Dr. Rochelle Walensky, who heads the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Thursday that more than 9 million people live in counties where cases are rising and where the vaccination rates are lower than 40%. "Many of these counties are also the same locations where the Delta variant represents the large majority of circulating virus," she said. Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Infectious Diseases, said the variant could bring about mini-surges in infections in those areas. "I'm concerned as this variant becomes more dominant, those select areas of the country that have a very low level of vaccination, like 30% or so, you're going to start seeing mini-surges that are localized to certain regions," he said Friday. "You don't want to see two separate Americas, one that's vaccinated and protected and yet another that's unvaccinated and very much at risk," Fauci said. Overall, 47.8% of the US population is fully vaccinated while 20 states have fully vaccinated more than half of their residents.

Sounding the alarm in Mississippi

The surge has alarmed officials in Mississippi, where only a third of the population is fully vaccinated. "We've seen almost an entire takeover in the Delta variant," said State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs. "We're seeing a lot of outbreaks. We're seeing a lot of outbreaks in youth. We're seeing a lot of outbreaks in summer activities. We're also seeing a lot of outbreaks in nursing homes, where we have our most vulnerable people," he said. Case numbers and hospitalizations are trending upward because of the spread of the virus mostly among those who are unvaccinated, State Epidemiologist Dr. Paul Byers said.
While the number of deaths hasn't risen, Byers said they anticipate that to change because death numbers tend to lag behind case numbers. The state is advising seniors aged 65 and older to avoid mass gatherings until July 26, regardless of vaccination status. People who are immunocompromised -- whose immune system is weaker -- are also recommended to follow the new guidance issued Friday.

Advice for those with upper respiratory symptoms

As cases rise, the CDC is urging all adults and children who exhibit upper respiratory symptoms to be tested for Covid-19, regardless of their vaccination status, Walensky told CNN on Friday. While there is considerable overlap between symptoms of the common cold and Covid-19 as they are both respiratory diseases, not everyone will experience the same symptoms for either illness -- and some people might not experience any symptoms at all.

Will a booster be needed in the future?

After Pfizer announced Thursday that it's working to develop a third vaccine booster shot, questions emerged about the long-term effectiveness of vaccines.
In response, Fauci said people should take booster advice from federal health officials. "Certainly, they need to listen to the CDC and the FDA, the FDA being the regulatory authority that has control over this. And the CDC, in accordance with their advisory committee on immunization practices, will make the recommendation," he said. "We respect what the pharmaceutical company is doing, but the American public should take their advice from the CDC and the FDA," he said. Dr. Peter Hotez, chair of tropical pediatrics at Texas Children's Hospital, said the current vaccines offer high protection.
"It looks like the two doses of the current vaccine are pretty robust against the Delta variant," Hotez said Friday. "So yes, we'll need a booster, but nothing to worry about right now in terms of vaccination." Pfizer said it was seeing waning immunity from its vaccine -- manufactured in partnership with BioNTech -- and was picking up its efforts to develop a booster shot to offer further protection against variants. Dr. Stephen Thomas, coordinating principal investigator for Pfizer/BioNTech's vaccine trial, said it wasn't unusual for vaccine-induced immunity to wane over time. "What is the crucial point though, and which we don't know the answer to right now is, even though that immunity wanes over time, does it remain above a level which we need to protect people," he told CNN's Erin Burnett. "I would kind of focus people on the point here, that the public health burden of Covid is severe disease, hospitalization and death," he said. "Even though these vaccine immune responses wane over time, they are very, very effective at preventing those three outcomes."

Federal guidance on school in fall encourages in-person learning

Meanwhile, the CDC on Friday said schools should prioritize in-person schooling in the fall but it was crucial to layer safety strategies such as masking and physical distancing, and most importantly, vaccinations for everyone eligible. Schools that are ready to transition away from pandemic precautions as community transmission reaches low levels should do so gradually, the agency said in a draft of the guidance obtained by CNN. "If localities decide to remove prevention strategies in schools based on local conditions, they should remove them one at a time and monitor closely (with adequate testing) for any increases in COVID-19 cases before removing the next prevention strategy," the guidance says, adding that schools need to be transparent with families, staff and the community as they do so. Fauci agrees, adding that unvaccinated children should wear masks. "I think that the message from the CDC is clear and I totally agree with them," Fauci told CNN. "We want all the children back in in-person classes in the fall term."

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 11, 2021 01:02

Rocktiludrop
Not sure if I'm alone on this, but since this thread it's been depressing on iorr, the fun and and humour has left this fan club and I've never seen so few people posting these days, and this particular thread has divided so many people.
It's not like you are going to change anyone's minds at this stage of covid, there are two camps basically and people don't switch just like Democrats don't become Republican.
Initially it was informative and served a purpose but now it's become political, I don't know, it's not really what music is about, definitely not what the Stones are about, Rock & Roll as Keith said is from the neck down, it's about forgetting all your troubles, it even has a healing effect.
It's safe to say this particular pandemic isn't going to become more of a concern in the Countries that were initially hit, possibly 99% of iorr posters are from those Countries where things are looking brighter, let's start seeing the glass as half full from now on guys, I'm done with half empty.

NO your not the only one....the moderator should add the possibility to remove or hide topics

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 11, 2021 02:13

Hairball- "The latest from CNN" ? If airports did not show CNN, no one would be watching.

Date: July 11, 2021 02:49

GasLightStreet

Anti-vaxxers - they don't pay my bills. They get COVID and spread it, they spread it. They die, they die. Not my life.

It's astounding, America - the whole "freedom" trip. First World problems. People that have never suffered like people that have suffered in Third World countries.

I think that is a reality that explains an awful lot of behaviour.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 11, 2021 03:38

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

I spoke to a female friend in Ghana, recently. She told me that she knows some of her fellow country people are refusing the vaccine in the belief that they are being injected with water. Stupidly reigns in the developing world, also; not just America.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 11, 2021 04:08

And now some repugnant personalities are saying into microphones that this door to door approach is a precursor to similar visits to confiscate your guns, and, get this, your bibles.

Not much one can do with that level of ignorance other than hope the plague somehow is able to target half wits.

BTW my doctor and most if not all doctors will NOT allow people with those vented masks into their waiting rooms. Those thing may protect the wearer, but they do nothing for others as that vent is an open passageway for your germs to get out. My friends wife was told point blank: you cannot come in here with that mask.

First world problems for sure.

jb

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 11, 2021 04:42

kovach
LeonidP
Rocktiludrop
daspyknows
bleedingman
daspyknows
triceratops
daspyknows

Yes this true for me in the USA. I will not lie, I will testify. Negs on both for me. No vaxxx and no climate paranoia. Deniers! Lol upon lol.. go to China and tell them to reduce their CO2 emissions.

What are you doing to counter this mythical CO2 threat? I have planted at least 16 fruit trees outside, guess what who wants/buys the fruits most? (to be continued upon demand)

These fruit trees are sequestering CO2 and pumping out O2 (I am a 2 time Trump voter)

Your 16 fruit trees doesn't cover your big gas guzzling pickup truck. You can go to China and talk to them yourself. In the meantime, feel free to go to indoor spaces without a mask and breath deeply. Wouldn't want to impinge on your freedoms. Covid is a hoax and the delta variant is something you can only catch on a Delta 747.

Your vaccines are being proven ineffective in many cases. And fully vaccinated people are getting infected by other fully vaccinated people, as I posted in the Postponed Tour thread. Follow the science wherever it may go.

My vaccines? hahaha. I wish. Would be a billionaire if they were. But getting on topic. What percentage of the dead people were vaccinated? What percentage of the vaccinated are on ventilators? What percentage of the vaccinated are hospitalized? Less than 1%. Doing simple math. What percentage of the dead people were unvaccinated? >99.6%, What percentage of those on ventilators are unvaccinated? >99% and what percentage of the hospitalized are unvaccinated? >99%. Following the science AND the math. There will be a need for a booster shot in time. My arm is ready when it is available. I will follow THE science, you can follow YOUR science and continue playing Russian roulette.

I think it's best for people like you that live in fear to keep inside for the reminder of your life until everyone scientific allows you out again. Good luck with that, leaves more space for people like me.

You're caught in a trap, the positive tests have no meaningful correlation to illness or death, you still don't get it do you, you're being had, i know it, Mick knows it, wake up because I'm starting to pity you, you're beginning to sound pathetic.

Eggzactly! Amazing how obsessed some are with searching for reasons to still remain in isolated and/or masked. Agree, good luck w/ that, to them. As to sounding pathetic ... just "beginning"? It's been there for some time.

Vaccinated people have been testing positive with few or no symptoms, certainly few of any hospitalizations or death, which is exactly the point of getting the vaccination.

Of course, I was not insinuating that people should not get the vaccine.

Date: July 11, 2021 07:48

Big Al
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

I spoke to a female friend in Ghana, recently. She told me that she knows some of her fellow country people are refusing the vaccine in the belief that they are being injected with water. Stupidly reigns in the developing world, also; not just America.

Well, that's unfortunate. Whereas without a doubt there is a lot of stupidity out there, I would counter that sometimes it's just ignorance, and if people don't have access to information then it's pretty hard to blame them. Education and access to that info is the problem sometimes.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 11, 2021 08:36

Truly unfortunate in countries/regions that do not necessarily have access to facts and knowledge.

Plain worrisome and insane in countries/regions that believe in stupid conspiracy theories based on one dimensional, alternate “it was stolen” facts.

Rod

Date: July 11, 2021 20:49

Branson Missouri, via Bloomberg.com:

Delta Variant Spills Out of Midwest Tourist Hub-Turned-Incubator

“I don’t trust the CDC, I don’t trust the politicians; I trust what the Bible tells me and what the Spirit puts in my heart.” - Stephen Pello (Texas)

Branson Delta

Nestled in Missouri’s Ozark Mountains, the city of Branson has long drawn throngs of U.S. tourists with live country music, a replica Titanic, Dolly Parton’s Stampede dinner show, an 1880s theme park and an oversized bust of Ronald Reagan. But Branson now has another, more dire claim to fame as the origin of Missouri’s outbreak of the delta variant -- the coronavirus strain that now accounts for more than half of U.S. cases. Missouri’s delta outbreak has raised alarms nationally as the U.S. races to contain the variant, which is more transmissible than the original strain that ground the world to a halt and killed millions. With large swaths of the country’s population declining vaccines, the delta variant threatens to derail U.S. efforts to return to normal. Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, this week singled out southwestern Missouri -- the region that includes Branson -- as one of several hot-spots for the variant. “Low vaccination rates in these counties, coupled with high case rates and lax mitigation policies that do not protect those who are unvaccinated from disease, will certainly and sadly lead to more unnecessary suffering, hospitalization and potential death,” Walensky said in a briefing on Thursday. “We are really encouraging people who are not vaccinated yet to get vaccinated and wear a mask until you do.”

Branson is an ideal incubator, the sort of place that would worry Walensky. It sits at a crossroads of the U.S. South and Midwest, playing host to big crowds that pack entertainment venues and restaurants. It heaps on feel-good Americana, and mostly caters to conservative regions where the pandemic has become a political litmus test and vaccinations lag the national average. Trump flags and hats dot the streetscape; almost no one wears masks. And there appears to be little concern in Branson, where -- as in other conservative regions across the U.S. -- doubts about vaccines and the virus alike run deep. The town in April elected Larry Milton as mayor after he ran on an anti-mask platform. Branson is now fully reopened, shows have resumed at full capacity -- Dolly Parton’s Stampede suggests masks for the unvaccinated, but doesn’t require them -- tourists line the streets and restaurants are full. Covid restrictions have vanished. Missouri’s Republican governor, Mike Parson, joined revelers for a crowded outdoor July 4th celebration in the town, in the throes of an outbreak. Parson, who didn’t respond to a request for comment, has offered mixed messages on vaccinations -- he criticized President Joe Biden for suggesting this week that shots could be promoted door-to-door, before tweeting on Thursday that vaccination is the best way to prevent Covid-19.

Branson was the first place in Missouri that the delta variant was found. Marc Johnson, a University of Missouri researcher working with the state to track coronavirus variants, first detected it on May 10 in one part of the city’s sewer system. A week later, it was found in the other part -- and in two other Missouri towns. A week after that, it was in nearby counties. Now it’s throughout the state. “It’s everywhere,” Johnson said. “And I expect that everywhere that we have not seen a spike yet, we are about to.” The delta variant now accounts for more than half of U.S. cases, according to CDC estimates. Of the counties with the most new cases, 93% are less than 40% vaccinated, Walensky said. These are the locations where hospitalizations and deaths are rising among the unvaccinated, and tend to be where delta is dominant, she said, stressing that nearly every American who now falls severely ill or dies hasn’t been inoculated. Hospitalizations are rising in southern Missouri – Branson’s most serious cases go to nearby Springfield, where one hospital set a record this week for Covid-19 admissions. The hospitals have made public appeals for staff and ventilators. “All of the sudden everybody said it’s done, but it’s not,” said Tom Keller, president and chief executive officer of Ozarks Healthcare, which runs a hospital and clinics in southern Missouri. “I don’t know how the delta variant got to Springfield, Missouri, and didn’t get to the East Coast first.” The health community hasn’t been blunt enough in warning how Covid can ravage the body, Keller said: “We’re going to be a lot more direct.”

Polling has shown that political conservatives are less likely to get the vaccine and more likely to say they think the pandemic is over, a combination that, in the face of delta, risks fresh outbreaks. In neighboring Arkansas, cases and hospitalizations are rising sharply, too. Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson said this week that the state saw its largest increase in hospitalizations since January. “We are losing ground,” he said, adding that the delta variant appears to hitting younger people. The average age of patients hospitalized for Covid-19 has fallen to 54.7 years from 62.7 in January, he said. “If you don’t want to go to the hospital, get vaccinated,” he warned. Across Missouri’s western border, Kansas has begun public-service announcements to head off what officials there fear will be a spread of the variant stemming from July 4th celebrations. The state has been monitoring rising case loads in neighboring states for weeks, said Sam Coleman, a spokesman for the governor. But in Missouri, local health officials say there is still deep skepticism in the region about coronavirus vaccines, and many people are misinformed about the safety of the shot and the danger of the virus.

A political lens is unavoidable for the growing U.S. vaccine gap. The vaccination rate in counties that backed Biden for president is roughly 12 percentage points higher than those that backed Donald Trump, up from 2.2% in April, according to an analysis by the Kaiser Family Foundation “I’ve had people tell me: ‘I’ve had it, it was no big deal, I’m not going to get vaccinated,’” said Craig McCoy, a former paramedic who’s president of Mercy Springfield Communities, which operates a hospital in Springfield. “What they don’t realize is that people with antibodies of the alpha variant are sitting in our hospital with the delta variant.” In Branson, some lay out broad skepticism with the vaccine – saying they worry it’s rushed and potentially unsafe. “It’s lack of proof,” said Stephen Pello, 63, a carpenter from Texas, during a recent visit to Branson. “I don’t trust the CDC, I don’t trust the politicians; I trust what the Bible tells me and what the Spirit puts in my heart.” Pello said his doctor mentioned vaccination to him, but didn’t press the issue after Pello said he needed more information. He suspects others like him might get the shot if Trump more fervently urged them to do so, but he said even that wouldn’t change his mind. Charliese Holder, 61, a Branson visitor from Oklahoma, also expressed skepticism about information coming from government officials, including Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert. “I think there’s been too much wishy-wash from Fauci and the others,” Holder said as she ate an ice cream cone outside a packed shop on Branson’s main street. She said she hasn’t ruled out getting the vaccine, but has doubts about its efficacy. “Even though they’re calling this a vaccine, per se, the way they’re making it sound, I don’t think it’s any different than the flu shot,” she said. “There’s a lot of questions that aren’t answered.” Johnson, the University of Missouri researcher, said that the key unknown about the latest outbreaks is when caseloads will plateau, and how the delta wave will look in more heavily vaccinated communities. “We’re not done, the virus is not done, there is going to be a wave through the U.S. It could be that the really highly vaccinated places do okay, but I’m not even really sure about that,” Johnson said. “Either way, I am absolutely convinced it’s not going to stay in Missouri.”

Date: July 12, 2021 01:08

Hairball
Branson Missouri, via Bloomberg.com:

Delta Variant Spills Out of Midwest Tourist Hub-Turned-Incubator

“I don’t trust the CDC, I don’t trust the politicians; I trust what the Bible tells me and what the Spirit puts in my heart.” - Stephen Pello (Texas)

I'm not anti-religion per se, but I am anti-this

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 12, 2021 01:31

Now I'm excited for the upcoming UEFA variant

Date: July 12, 2021 03:56

Nikkei

Apparently rioting is one of the telltale symptoms.

Date: July 12, 2021 07:12

From the New York Times:

Free Doughnuts Aren’t Going to Boost Vaccination Rates

It’s more than “hesitancy” that stops New Yorkers from getting vaccinated.
Many communities have deep-seated doubts, and the Health Department is running out of ideas.

Doughnuts

If you were really scared of something — a fear founded on rumor and history, that you could get sick and possibly die, lose your ability to have children, alter your DNA or be left at the mercy of pernicious government surveillance — would you do it anyway, for the prospect of a membership to the Public Theater? Or a free glazed doughnut at Krispy Kreme? These are not hypotheticals but in fact examples of the kind of bait New York City began publicizing last month to increase Covid vaccination rates. With no evidence of whether such a strategy might be effective — and the belief presumably that it is worth trying anything — states and municipalities across the country have been working to incentivize immunization. In Kentucky you can get a free lottery ticket; Alabama has offered the opportunity to drive a truck around the Talladega speedway. An unwillingness to get the Covid vaccine, complicated as both a matter of politics and psychology, has become increasingly concerning to public health officials as the Delta variant, more contagious than the standard coronavirus, has begun to spread. In New York, 44 percent of new Covid cases seen by the city’s Health Department are attributable to the Delta variant, a doubling over the course of a week. Although 52 percent of New Yorkers are completely vaccinated, that statistic is highly misleading. In most parts of Central Brooklyn — in places like Brownsville, Canarsie and Bedford-Stuyvesant — only a third of residents have been fully immunized. This is a distinct contrast with affluent parts of the city, where the figure is more than twice as high; in the Financial District, for example, the ranks of the immunized stand at 98 percent.

The reasons for refusing the vaccine differ by community and demographic, dooming any unified approach. In Staten Island, for example, where some of the highest Covid rates in the city have surfaced again lately, the data has shown that young people are the ones exempting themselves. Among Caribbean immigrants, the city’s health commissioner, Dave Chokshi, told me this week, skepticism about the vaccine has fomented around concerns that it will endanger fertility. This stemmed from a report that circulated on social media suggesting that it caused a woman’s body to fight off a spike protein involved in the making of the placenta. It wasn’t true. But the work of convincing Guyanese women in Crown Heights that the vaccine is not a threat to pregnancy is different from the work of convincing 17-year-olds in Tottenville that it is worth getting off the couch and going to CVS. One has involved enlisting pediatricians and others to talk to teenagers, bound to their invincibility, about the effects of long Covid. The other has required the more complex business of countering the intractable fallacies of the internet. It is not clear what succeeds. The city’s approach to correcting vaccine disparities can seem long on aphorisms (“convenience, community, conversation,” in the parlance of the Health Department) and short on cultural awareness, blind to the broad range of anxieties born of the long-term dismissal of poor urban communities.

Making vaccines more available is useful to the extent that there are lots of people who are holding out because they still can’t make their way to them. Tens of thousands of vaccine doses have been distributed through the city’s mobile sites — and this is obviously a good thing. But ease of access cannot override deeply held doubt. Two weeks ago, the city announced it would start offering vaccines at home to anyone who wanted them. When I asked Dionne Grayman, the president and co-founder of We Run Brownsville, a women’s health organization, about this, she was dubious. “There is a feeling of ‘I didn’t want you in my house before any of this,’” she told me. “It can feel intrusive; it can feel to people like ‘The state is in my house.’” The risk, of course, is alienating people to the degree that they only become more apprehensive, more confirmed in their suspicions that they are not understood. “The incentives are insulting,” said Ms. Grayman, who has taught high school English and now trains educators. “There are no Shake Shacks in Brownsville. Who are you talking to? This is dignity snatching; it is not dignity affirming. There’s dignity in listening to people.” In an effort to move the process along, doctors and public health officials have worked to engage community leaders — the phrase “trusted community messenger” is one you hear repeatedly in this context — to deliver the word on the importance of vaccination. When Ms. Grayman sat down with them, she told me, she had a vision different from the one espoused. She wanted a place for people in her community to have long conversations about what might be holding them back — “a real one-on-one, with no coded language,” she said — the chance to be heard, perhaps during repeated visits, in the way that pamphlets and television ads and Zoom town halls (assuming you have broadband to begin with) cannot possibly provide. “There is all this language — ‘vaccine hesitancy.’ People aren’t ‘hesitant.’ They don’t trust a system that has never worked for them before.”

From the perspective of public health, the job is to counter fear, but this disregards the extent to which certain fears are legitimate and demands a set of solutions beyond just trying to persuade people that they have nothing to worry about. For instance, many people have had negative reactions to a second vaccine dose, reactions that can put you out with chills, fever and fatigue for a day or more. Erasma Beras-Monticciolo, who grew up in Brownsville and now serves as the executive director of Power of Two, an organization in the neighborhood that works with new mothers, found that among clients who were not getting vaccinated, many worried about who would take care of their children in the event that they got sick. This was a logistical issue that in Ms. Beras-Monticciolo’s view was not inherently hard to fix. In certain situations, she pointed out, the city’s Administration of Children’s Services will provide child care for mothers in the hospital giving birth. If there were coordination between city agencies, ACS could provide temporary care for mothers who needed it as a result of vaccination. Power of Two was doing this on its own.

Date: July 12, 2021 10:40

Nikkei

It will still be the "Delta", I guess. Ypsilon could surface in mid Autumn, but ... I hope, for all of us, that it doesn't. A jump right to Omega would be the best. Maybe the virus by then has run out of imagination and we can all live peacefully ... until a new virus (Qatar? Anyone remember MERS?) surfaces confused smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 12, 2021 19:22

The Rolling Stones are probably waiting as long as possible before they do a go / no-go on the rescheduled dates this fall. They can not tour in "red" areas i.e. places with very little vaccination rate. The largest news site in Norway VG.no just published a map today, with source CDC. It basically color US states by vaccination rate. Those in red are less than 50% vaccination rate. Some of those states might be on the tour 2020 map I think.

[www.vg.no]

Bjornulf

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 12, 2021 19:43

Big Al
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

LOL I know that. People in the South think similar stupidity. However, I wasn't talking about (the lack of) intelligence. But... since you brought it up.

I am personally not going to get the jab because I’m young, healthy, and unafraid of coronavirus.

Tammy Luhren

[www.mediamatters.org]

She won't get it even though her hero got it.

Oddly, though, she was for vaccines with the measles outbreak in 2019, although the genius couple that was Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy stood tall on their mountain of bullshit that vaccines cause autism.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 20:00

bv
The Rolling Stones are probably waiting as long as possible before they do a go / no-go on the rescheduled dates this fall. They can not tour in "red" areas i.e. places with very little vaccination rate. The largest news site in Norway VG.no just published a map today, with source CDC. It basically color US states by vaccination rate. Those in red are less than 50% vaccination rate. Some of those states might be on the tour 2020 map I think.

[www.vg.no]

Based on this, St Louis, Nashville, and Atlanta appear potentially problematic.

This map though is actually better than I expected, as I thought some more areas on the tour routing might be red in all honesty.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 12, 2021 20:55

bv

[www.vg.no]

a while back The New York times had a similar map. Their map was not based on states but on Congress districts… The vaccination map was nearly exactly the same as the map showing the election results…

The problem for any kind of tour is that people travel acress (state) borders to shows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-12 20:57 by slewan.

Date: July 12, 2021 21:04

The hidden "danger" behind these current maps is in the fact that those States (Blue) that have a high(er) vaccination percentage have started to "relax". Well, meanwhile we know what that can result to. Only look at Britain and my own silly country, the Netherlands (where today the prime minister appologised for having underestimated the behaviour of "young" people in particular). Both countries show an explosion in infected people. If that happens in the Blue States ... don't even think of Rolling Stones concerts there.

Date: July 12, 2021 21:17

The above article/map refers to percentages of people in states who have had at least one shot, not fully vaccinated.

There are still 31 states that are under 50% fully vaccinated.

Potential shows on the itinerary in states that are still under 50%

Nashville, Tennessee
Austin, Texas
Dallas, Texas
Detroit, Michigan
Louisville, Kentucky
Cleveland, Ohio
St. Louis, Missouri
Charlotte, North Carolina
Tampa, Florida
Atlanta, Georgia

Not sure what the percentage of fully vaccinated in Vancouver is, but I think it still falls way short of 50% fully vaccinated.

---------------------------------------------------------

Vaccination percentages by state

"The CDC's data tracker compiles data from healthcare facilities and public health authorities.
It updates daily to report the total number of people in each state who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19".

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 12, 2021 21:23

Hairball

Not sure what the percentage of fully vaccinated in Vancouver is, but I think it still falls way short of 50% fully vaccinated…

In the province of British Columbia, 70% of population have 1 dose, 37% fully faxed.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 12, 2021 23:12

The FDA is planning to warn about a second rare side effect linked to Johnson & Johnson's coronavirus vaccine, a report says

"This is the second time that J&J's shot has been linked to side effects"

[www.businessinsider.com]

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 13, 2021 02:38

Moderna is beginning a study of the vaccine's impact (if any) on pregnant women.

Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine mRNA-1273 Observational Pregnancy Outcome Study

They will be monitoring:

Number of Participants Having Infants With Suspected Major and Minor Congenital Malformations [ Time Frame: Up to 1 year of infant age ]
Major malformations are those that have significant medical, social or cosmetic consequences, and typically require surgical intervention or are life-threatening (for example, cleft lip, spina bifida).

Number of Participants With Any Pregnancy Complications [ Time Frame: From end of first trimester (approximately 14 weeks) up to mid-third trimester (approximately 34 weeks) ]
Pregnancy complications may include preeclampsia, eclampsia, pregnancy-induced hypertension, antenatal bleeding, preterm labor, gestational diabetes, dysfunctional labor, premature rupture of membranes, placenta previa, postpartum hemorrhage, small-for-gestational-age (SGA) fetus and intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR), and non-reassuring fetal status.

Number of Participants With Any Pregnancy Outcomes [ Time Frame: Approximately 4 weeks after expected date of delivery (EDD) ]
Pregnancy outcomes may include spontaneous abortions, fetal death or stillbirth, live birth, elective or therapeutic pregnancy terminations, preterm birth, ectopic pregnancies, molar pregnancies, maternal death, and COVID-19 diagnosis.

Number of Participants With Infant Outcomes [ Time Frame: Up to 1 year of infant age ]
Infant outcomes may include minor congenital malformations, size of gestational age, low birth weight, size for age, failure to thrive, hospitalization of infants, neonatal death, perinatal death, neonatal encephalopathy, respiratory distress in the newborn, neonatal/infant infection, infant death, and infant developmental milestones.

[clinicaltrials.gov]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...270271272273274275276277278279280...LastNext
Current Page: 275 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1422
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home