Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...263264265266267268269270271272273...LastNext
Current Page: 268 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 23, 2021 19:27

SomeTorontoGirl
Seeing news this morning of another new variant in India, being called the ‘Delta plus’ variant, or AY.1. There is uncertainty about how big the threat is. If variants continue to emerge (as they will in unvaccinated populations) the tour will become increasingly unlikely - am never sure whether to put this news on the Covid thread or the tour thread.

[www.bbc.com]

“India has classified a new variant of the coronavirus first identified in Europe as a "variant of concern", but it's too early to tell whether it poses a significant threat.
India's health ministry says studies showed that the so-called Delta plus variant - also known as AY.1 - spreads more easily, binds more easily to lung cells and is potentially resistant to monoclonal antibody therapy, a potent intravenous infusion of antibodies to neutralise the virus.
The variant is related to the Delta, an existing variant of concern, which was first identified in India last year and is thought to have driven the deadly second wave of infections this summer in India.
The health ministry says the Delta plus variant, first found in India in April, has been detected in around 40 samples from six districts in three states - Maharashtra, Kerala and Madhya Pradesh. At least 16 of these samples were found in Maharashtra, one of the states hardest hit by the pandemic.
Delta plus has also been found in nine other countries - USA, UK, Portugal, Switzerland, Japan, Poland, Nepal, Russia and China - compared to the original highly contagious Delta strain, which has now spread to 80 countries.“

Just when you think things might be getting better, or can't get any worse, introducing the ‘Delta Plus’ ...jeez...seems no end in sight.

Meanwhile, the original Delta has been detected in all states in the US except South Dakota, and has now jumped up to 20% of all cases here.

And this published today from CBS News:

Highly contagious Delta variant could cause next COVID-19 wave: "This virus will still find you"

Delta

Whether it's airports, NBA games, or concerts, crowds are gathering across the nation as Americans start a return to pre-pandemic life. But with just 45% of Americans fully vaccinated and only 16 states that have fully vaccinated more than half of their populations, health experts are worried about the spread of the highly contagious Delta variant. It is 60% more contagious than the Alpha variant discovered in the U.K., which was the last variant of major concern, according to infectious disease expert Michael Osterholm. "In the areas where they have large pockets of unvaccinated people, we can surely expect to see surges in cases, in some situations challenging the health care capacity of that local area," Osterholm told "CBS This Morning" lead national correspondent David Begnaud.

A hospital dealing with an overfill of patients is Mercy Hospital in Springfield, Missouri. Mercy Hospital President Craig McCoy said the hospital is "holding patients in the ER, waiting on admissions, waiting on discharges on any given day." In Springfield, only 32% of the surrounding county is vaccinated, and COVID-19 hospitalizations are up more than 210% since June 1. Perhaps most alarming—90% of all COVID samples being sequenced from that county are testing positive for the Delta variant. McCoy said at his hospital, almost every COVID patient is unvaccinated. "We've only had two that have come out as in-patients that have been fully vaccinated. The vaccine, from everything we can see, does appear to be effective against the Delta variant," he said.

While there are signs that America is beating back the pandemic with the help of vaccines, there are also indications of a potential new COVID wave. "The Delta variant is clearly going to be another wave. If you decide not to get vaccinated, this virus will still find you," Osterholm said. McCoy told Begnaud that while more than 75% of his county's seniors are vaccinated, that number plummets among people aged 21 to 60. He said that percentage is somewhere in the mid-30s, and it's people in that age group that are showing up at his hospital.

----------------

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-23 19:30 by Hairball.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 23, 2021 20:21

If its going to happen, let it rip sooner rather than later. A wave in July doesn't affect schools and indoor activities that occur in the fall and winter.

Obviously the risks are higher among the unvaccinated so another wave MIGHT influence some them if it gets bad again. If the Delta wave happens in the US during October and November it will be worse.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 23, 2021 20:29

I'm beginning to doubt these claims that every new variant is 60-70% more contagious. The numbers don't support that.

Date: June 23, 2021 22:30

Nikkei
I'm beginning to doubt these claims that every new variant is 60-70% more contagious. The numbers don't support that.

How do you come to that?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 23, 2021 22:38

daspyknows
Nikkei

How do you come to that?

I'm not making a point when saying that I'm in doubt. But the B117 variant from January was supposed to be 70% more contagious that the original one. Then the same with P1 and now Delta is supposed to spread 60% more easily than the previous one. I wonder how it can become any more contagious without the total numbers skyrocketing in the meantime. Now you can mostly read how the percentage of the latest variant is growing very fast but only within the total numbers which are steadily declining overall. Again, the only point I can make ist that it seems peculiar.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 23, 2021 22:49

Nikkei

The Alpha variant i.e. the UK mutant was 60% or so more contagious, as compared to the first variants of the new corona virus. There are numerous reports about it, and we have seen it in Norway, by the numbers, more and younger people into hospital. The R number increased from 1 to 1.6 in some areas, which basically means 100 people bring the ALPHA variant on to 160 people, while the original virus varints were stable at 100 infected people infecting another 100 new people, with a defined set of rules like distance, closed stores etc. In short, if you do have control with the original virus, you loose control with the Alpha variant, unless you add more regulations, more distance, more closed down activity.

The Delta variant is a lot more contagious, they think it is approx 70% more contagious, as compared to the Alpha variant (UK version). A very small place called Ferder in Norway had 56 people at an event getting covid-19 almost immediately, all from the Delta variant, at an event, and 6 of these 56 were fully vaccinated. Roughly 10% of fully vaccinated people will get covid-19 from the delta variant, but the good news are they will not be very sick, just flu symptoms.

If you think covid-19 is harmless still, then take a look at India, where the Delta variant has been around, and it is now totally dominant. More young people into hospital. More problems. Less concerts. Less fun.

A Norwegian health expert is saying it very simple: Get the vaccine, or you will get covin-19. It is as simple as that. Covid-19 will never go away. It will be around just like the flu, for many years, and in new variants every now and then. Get the vaccine, or you will get covid-19.

Bjornulf

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 23, 2021 22:51

Nikkei
daspyknows
Nikkei

How do you come to that?

I'm not making a point when saying that I'm in doubt. But the B117 variant from January was supposed to be 70% more contagious that the original one. Then the same with P1 and now Delta is supposed to spread 60% more easily than the previous one. I wonder how it can become any more contagious without the total numbers skyrocketing in the meantime. Now you can mostly read how the percentage of the latest variant is growing very fast but only within the total numbers which are steadily declining overall. Again, the only point I can make ist that it seems peculiar.

It does make one wonder doesn't it. I think measles is supposed to be one of the most communicable diseases that exist. Original COVID was a fraction of that.

R-factor for measles is between 12 and 18.

To put it in perspective, the regular flu is .9 to 2.1 in any given year.

COVID according to this:

[www.bbc.com]

has an R factor of between .7 and .9.

So the delta variant should theoretically be somewhere south of 2.5

Still a fraction of the measles in terms of communicability, but much worse than the original COVID.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 24, 2021 00:49

A time will come, soonish, when the existing vaxxes will not work against the dominant strain, or will stop working because their effectiveness has diminished over time. So, expect to continue the cycle of vaccination again and possibly again, and of course resistance to it is not going to decrease, most probably will increase as more people are bothered by what they see as something that will not bother them (because it hasn't so far...).

Nothing is going away. It is bound to get worse with time. We will just have to get used to it as a society. And then there is Ebola. Ain't no one gonna be ready for that. This current mess has reinforced that in my mind; if we don't do better, masses of people will literally be dying in the streets the world over.

jb

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 24, 2021 02:54

Lol, bring out your dead!

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 24, 2021 03:03

I find it ludicrous that the school of thought among some laymen is that if you don't get vaccinated, you will get the virus. If one follows that train of thought then many, many people who, for whatever reason are not vaccinated, maybe a billion or so people, will get sick and possibly die. That is not science, that is propaganda.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-24 03:04 by bleedingman.

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: June 24, 2021 03:14

bleedingman
I find it ludicrous that the school of thought among some laymen is that if you don't get vaccinated, you will get the virus. If one follows that train of thought then many, many people who, for whatever reason are not vaccinated, maybe a billion or so people, will get sick and possibly die. That is not science, that is propaganda.

It's perhaps overstated but seems that may well be the eventuality of it. However, whether that's within a couple years or a couple decades is, like so much with covid, unknown.

The simplest way to look at it to me is summed up in two recent comments I've seen/heard 1) it is now a pandemic of the unvaccinated and 2) the risk(s) of the virus is greater than the risk(s) of the vaccine.

Date: June 24, 2021 03:36

JN99
bleedingman

It's perhaps overstated but seems that may well be the eventuality of it. However, whether that's within a couple years or a couple decades is, like so much with covid, unknown.

The simplest way to look at it to me is summed up in two recent comments I've seen/heard 1) it is now a pandemic of the unvaccinated and 2) the risk(s) of the virus is greater than the risk(s) of the vaccine.

I'm not so sure what's so hard to understand. It's an infectious disease so eventually most people will catch it if they aren't vaccinated. That doesn't mean they'll die, or even necessarily display any symptoms.

Interestingly reports coming with people that had COVID with no symptoms, are no w experiencing symptoms of 'long covid'. So even if you got through it the first time, it could still come back and bite you.

It's definitely a pandemic of the unvaccinated...the news this evening at a Florida government office, a bunch of people got COVID, 2 died, and the only person not impacted was vaccinated. But facts don't seem to matter so we'll twist with the COVID issue for a long time because people refuse to protect themselves and their family.

Date: June 24, 2021 04:27

Covid vaccine hesitancy sees uptake in Southern states plummet:
Daily doses in Alabama fall 90% from 44,000 in March to just 4,000 in June, while Mississippi sees rates drop 81% to become worst in the country

VaccineHesitancy

- Eight of the 10 U.S. states with the lowest COVID-19 vaccination rates are in the South, and are one of the reasons why Biden will not his July 4th 70% goal
- Four of those states - Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Wyoming - have yet to give 50% of their adult residents at least one dose
- In Mississippi, the state with the worst rates, 45.6% of residents partially dosed and 34.4 percent are fully immunized
- The state has seen vaccinations decline from 132,042 the week of February 27 to 24,737 the week of June 19, a drop of 81%
- Daily doses administered in Alabama have fallen by 90% from around 44,000 per day in late March to 4,000 per day in mid-June
- In Tennessee, just 41.3% of residents have at least one shot and 36% are fully vaccinated, and, in most counties, 80% of vaccine appointments are available

Southern U.S. states are severely lagging behind the rest of U.S. in vaccinating their residents against COVID-19. The struggle to get people to roll up their arms is these regions is part of the reason the White House conceded it won't meet its goal of having 70 percent of adult Americans with at least one dose by July 4. Of the 10 states with the lowest rates, eight are in the South and, four - Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Wyoming - have yet to partially vaccinate half of those aged 18 and older. Daily doses administered have fallen by as much as 90 percent since the spring. As of Wednesday, 65.5 percent of adults in the U.S. have received at least an initial dose, and experts say boosting rates in the Southern states will be key to beating back the virus.

Doctors say vaccine hesitancy is playing a key role in the low rates in the South with patients often making the choice to not get jabbed due to misinformation, general fears about vaccines and worries over rare side effects. Mississippi has consistently led the nation with some of the lowest vaccine rates. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), just 35.7 of the total population has been given at least one dose and 29.1 percent are fully vaccinated. When looking at just adults, these figures increase to 45.6 percent partially dosed and 34.4 percent who have completed their series. What's more, the number of doses administered each week has severely fallen from a peak of 132,042 the week of February 27 to 24,737 the week of June 19, representing a drop of 81 percent. The concerning figures have led to First Lady Jill Biden traveling to the Magnolia State to convince people to roll up their sleeves. 'I'm here today to ask all of the people who can hear my voice, who can see my face, to get their shot,' Biden said after visiting a clinic at Jackson State University, 'The president, the White House, our administration - we care about you, we care about the people of Mississippi. We want them to be safe. We want them to be healthy.'

Mississippi State Health Officer Dr Thomas Dobbs told Bloomberg that one of the biggest factors driving vaccine hesitancy is misinformation. One resident, Angel Devine of Jackson, told the news organization that she hadn't been vaccinated because she's worried that the shot won't be effective against variants. Studies have shown that two doses of Pfizer and Moderna are protective against the Alpha variant, that originated in the UK, and the Delta variant that originated in India. Devine said she is now considering getting the vaccine due to the urging of her 18-year-old daughter, who is studying nursing at the University of Southern Mississippi. 'She wants to get it, and she wants me to get it with her,' Devine told Bloomberg. 'I'm still concerned, but it does want me to take it a little more. We'll have to wait and see.' In nearby Alabama, vaccination rates are also lagging, with CDC data showing just 39.1 percent of the population has had at least one dose and 32 percent are fully immunized. Daily shots administered fell from around 44,000 per day in late March to 4,000 per day in mid-June, a drop of 90 percent. The low rate of vaccination was initially linked to a slow rollout, but experts now say the main factor is vaccine hesitancy. 'I think what it is boiling down to now is the political resistance,' Dr Michael Saag, a infectious diseases researcher at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, told The Guardian.

Alabama is a state that is very conservative and went to Donald Trump handily in the last presidential election. Although Trump has encouraged his supporters to get vaccinated in a Fox News interview, he never received the jab in public like other political lead and declined to record a commercial to persuade people to get immunized. Tennessee is yet another state with one of the worst vaccination rates in the country. According to the state's health department, just 41.3 percent of residents have had at least one shot and 36 percent are fully vaccinated, both well below the national average. The data also shows that in most counties, more than 80 percent of appointments are available. Dr William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine and infectious diseases at the Vanderbilt University Medical Center, said doses are being sent back to the CDC before they expire. When once there were long lines for vaccines for COVID-19, now infectious disease experts are asking people in Tennessee to step up and get vaccinated. 'There has been a heterogeneity of responses across our whole country. I would have loved to see everybody espouse vaccination no question. That would've helped a lot,' he told WTFV.

The First Lady also travelled to Nashville and made an appearance at a distillery that hosts a pop-up vaccination site. 'The vaccines are the only way to get back to the open mics, and the music festivals and the concerts that make this town so very special,' she said. Vaccination rates in Louisiana have also been low since the start of the rollout with just 37.5 percent of the population given at least one dose and 33.8 percent fully immunized. According to the state health department dashboard, no region has fully vaccinated more than 50 percent of its residents. The highest rate is in Region 1, where New Orleans is located, and only 43.31 percent of people have completed their vaccine series. KTAL reported that in Region 7, more than 1,000 vaccinations per day were being administered in the spring. This has since fallen to between 300 and 400 per week. 'We would love to see more people come in,' Chris Mangin, director of Ochsner LSU Health St Mary Medical Center, told the station.'Again, we've got plenty of vaccinations. It's just a matter of getting people to roll up their sleeves and get the shot.'

Date: June 24, 2021 04:58

bleedingman

Maybe if you go hang out with some people who have the Delta variant you can see for yourself whether its propaganda or not. I know you won't believe the article below because its propaganda.

What we can learn from two Delta variant outbreaks in Marin

Douglas Zimmerman/SFGATE
Marin County announced Tuesday the region has seen two recent outbreaks tied to the highly contagious Delta variant.

Dozens of unvaccinated people were infected, but the situation would have been more severe if the county didn't have a highly successful vaccine effort. This week, Marin reached the milestone of 90% of eligible residents receiving one or more doses. The county has the highest vaccine rate in the Bay Area.

"With 90% of the population vaccinated, these outbreaks were limited, " said Marin Health Director Dr. Matt Willis. "In the past these could have easily triggered surges that would have continued to grow. Instead, they were by and large surrounded by individuals who are protected and so the outbreaks died. This is what community immunity is. It’s encouraging to see the protection the vaccine is offering. It’s also a caution that those who are unvaccinated remain vulnerable with the Delta variant circulating."

The first outbreak occurred in the adjacent towns of San Anselmo and Fairfax where 30 COVID-19 cases were reported, all in unvaccinated individuals who were eligible for inoculation. One patient infected with the Delta variant was hospitalized and recovered. While the county didn't identify the specific variant in every case, those that were sequenced showed the Delta strain.

The second outbreak rose in June from a school in Novato where 25 cases were identified, with some in unvaccinated children who aren't eligible for the vaccine due to their age.

"It was centered in the school, and then in people who were connected to the school through sports programs or social networks," said Willis.

Both outbreaks were controlled within 14 days and are no longer active, the county said.

"It offers a glimpse of what the next stage of this pandemic will look like with variants spreading among unvaccinated groups," said Willis. "How widely it spreads is dependent on the number of people in the community who are vaccinated."

He added, “When clusters of cases rise and fall quickly among unvaccinated people, and don’t really spread further, this is what herd immunity looks like. We’re seeing what community immunity could look like in Marin. The current cases are among unvaccinated residents, which is why we’re motivated to get closer to 100%.”

The Delta variant, which is more infectious and potentially more deadly than other variants, now represents more than 20% of coronavirus infections in the U.S. in the last two weeks, or double what it was when the Centers for Disease Control last reported on the variant’s prevalence.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, warned that the U.S. could be following the United Kingdom’s course, where the variant has become the dominant strain due to rapid spread among youth. Fauci said indications are that the COVID-19 vaccines remain effective against the variant. The B.1.617.2 variant was first identified in India.

In Marin, 70% of cases that have been sequenced in the past month were the Delta variant.

"The takeaway is that this variant really has legs," Willis said. "It does move quickly when it finds groups of unvaccinated people. Fortunately, in Marin that number is very small."

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 24, 2021 05:05

treaclefingers
JN99
bleedingman

I'm not so sure what's so hard to understand. It's an infectious disease so eventually most people will catch it if they aren't vaccinated. That doesn't mean they'll die, or even necessarily display any symptoms.

Interestingly reports coming with people that had COVID with no symptoms, are no w experiencing symptoms of 'long covid'. So even if you got through it the first time, it could still come back and bite you.

It's definitely a pandemic of the unvaccinated...the news this evening at a Florida government office, a bunch of people got COVID, 2 died, and the only person not impacted was vaccinated. But facts don't seem to matter so we'll twist with the COVID issue for a long time because people refuse to protect themselves and their family.

It's an "infectious disease" that no one knows the origin of. All kept very mysterious but everyone into the pool. I'm aware of the office story where people got infected and 2 died. No thanks.

Date: June 24, 2021 10:21

<It's an "infectious disease" that no one knows the origin of. All kept very mysterious...>

Like all diseases, at one point smiling smiley

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: June 24, 2021 10:29

Except in this case there seems to be a deliberate effort to conceal the origin (at least if one school of thought is to be believed).

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 24, 2021 10:56

To avoid misunderstandings, it is not accurate to say that COVID "is now a pandemic of the unvaccinated". I have at least 3 friends of mine who are fully vaccinated and got COVID all the same.

Allegedly, vaccines will protect us against the worst consequences.

Yet, we do not know for certain, as the vast majority of those who got COVID showed no symptoms at all.

I think that we will be able to see how much these vaccines are really effective only in October this year. So far the trend is quite similar to what happened last year when COVID cases dropped during the warm summer months.

C

PS I am vaccinated. I don't know if it will help or not. I am not a doctor. Have many friends that are doctors, and they don't know either. On the other hand we need to find a solution, don't we? So my idea is, give me the vaccine and let's see if it works. If it doesn't, we'll try something else.

Date: June 24, 2021 11:13

terraplane
Except in this case there seems to be a deliberate effort to conceal the origin (at least if one school of thought is to be believed).

We can believe anything we want. However, this is something we just don't know, at this point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-24 11:14 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 24, 2021 13:28

The effect of vaccines is at least 3 month. Thats all we know for sure . After that the effect will decrease slowly and by the time the fall sets in we might need to vaccinate again from scratch, plus there are new dangerous and very infectious variations coming up. Corona will spread again. According to the Dutch Outbreak Management Team there's good chance we get a new lockdown towards the end of the year, probably worldwide. Enjoy your summer and lets hope for a less severe scenario.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 24, 2021 14:05

The Fortunes once had a hitsong in the 1960s with Here it comes again. Watching the data released by the British NHS during the past 5 days reminds me of that song. "Delta" is well on its way, I'd say. "Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire" .... aagghh
confused smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: June 24, 2021 14:56

bleedingman
treaclefingers
JN99
bleedingman

It's an "infectious disease" that no one knows the origin of. All kept very mysterious but everyone into the pool. I'm aware of the office story where people got infected and 2 died. No thanks.

OK, I agree with you that no one knows the origin of (well maybe some people do, maybe time will tell). How would knowing make a difference in combating the disease? Do you doubt it's infectious? If there is a vaccine that is 94% effective, why wouldn't that be a good thing, or do you doubt that stat?

And are you suggesting the office story isn't true? I don't understand your point on that.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 24, 2021 15:08

MingSubu
Lol, bring out your dead!

I'm not dead yet!

Date: June 24, 2021 17:55

Good move by the NFL and the NFLPA. If a guy can't play due to a knee injury they don't get the bonus. Not taking anything away but providing an incentive.

Vaccinated players who miss games with COVID-19 will still receive per-game roster bonuses
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 24, 2021, 4:59 AM EDT

The NFL and the NFL Players Association have given players another good reason to get vaccinated.

The league and the players’ union have agreed that if a fully vaccinated player gets COVID-19 anyway, that player will still receive any per-game roster bonuses called for in his contract in games he misses. Unvaccinated players who miss games with COVID-19 will not receive per-game roster bonuses.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Network reports that the newly agreed upon rule reads as follows: “If a fully vaccinated player whose NFL Player Contract includes a per game roster bonus (e.g., Active List roster bonus, Active/Inactive List roster bonus) subsequently contracts COVID-19 (i.e., a breakthrough case) and misses one or more 2021 regular season games as a result of such COVID-19 diagnosis, such player will be eligible to earn his per game roster bonus for any such regular season game(s).”

Fully vaccinated people rarely get COVID-19, and when they do their symptoms are usually mild. But “breakthrough” cases can happen, and now players who have breakthrough cases won’t have to worry about it hitting them in the paycheck.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 24, 2021 18:40

daspyknows
Good move by the NFL and the NFLPA. If a guy can't play due to a knee injury they don't get the bonus. Not taking anything away but providing an incentive.

Vaccinated players who miss games with COVID-19 will still receive per-game roster bonuses

The NFL and the NFL Players Association have given players another good reason to get vaccinated.

The league and the players’ union have agreed that if a fully vaccinated player gets COVID-19 anyway, that player will still receive any per-game roster bonuses called for in his contract in games he misses. Unvaccinated players who miss games with COVID-19 will not receive per-game roster bonuses.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Network reports that the newly agreed upon rule reads as follows: “If a fully vaccinated player whose NFL Player Contract includes a per game roster bonus (e.g., Active List roster bonus, Active/Inactive List roster bonus) subsequently contracts COVID-19 (i.e., a breakthrough case) and misses one or more 2021 regular season games as a result of such COVID-19 diagnosis, such player will be eligible to earn his per game roster bonus for any such regular season game(s).”

Fully vaccinated people rarely get COVID-19, and when they do their symptoms are usually mild. But “breakthrough” cases can happen, and now players who have breakthrough cases won’t have to worry about it hitting them in the paycheck.

I wonder if they treat the flu the same way? That might have set a precedent.

Date: June 24, 2021 21:33

kovach
daspyknows

Players can and have played with the flu. Covid IS NOT the flu.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 25, 2021 00:12

Nearly all COVID deaths in US are now among unvaccinated
By CARLA K. JOHNSON and MIKE STOBBE
today

Nearly all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. now are in people who weren’t vaccinated, a staggering demonstration of how effective the shots have been and an indication that deaths per day — now down to under 300 — could be practically zero if everyone eligible got the vaccine.

An Associated Press analysis of available government data from May shows that “breakthrough” infections in fully vaccinated people accounted for fewer than 1,200 of more than 853,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations. That’s about 0.1%.

And only about 150 of the more than 18,000 COVID-19 deaths in May were in fully vaccinated people. That translates to about 0.8%, or five deaths per day on average.

The AP analyzed figures provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC itself has not estimated what percentage of hospitalizations and deaths are in fully vaccinated people, citing limitations in the data.
[apnews.com]

Date: June 25, 2021 03:16

Rastafari Scorn of Western Medicine Fuels Jamaican Vaccine Hesitancy

Rasta

ST ANDREW, Jamaica (Reuters) - At a Rastafari farming community high up in the hills above Jamaica's capital, dreadlocked locals gather at the temple to worship and celebrate with Bible readings and traditional drumming and chanting. No COVID-19 protocols are in place. mThis isolated community of around 100 people called the School of Vision has so far escaped the ravages of the pandemic. They credit traditional medicine, like root wine and herbs such as neem, bitterwood and ginger, for helping fend off the virus, and do not want to take the vaccine.

Jamaica has reported around 16,800 infections and 350 deaths per 1 million people, according to statistics compiled by Reuters - lower than many other countries in the region. But lockdowns to keep the spread in check have taken a toll on the economy, and in particular on the tourism on which the Caribbean island relies, and authorities are keen to secure and roll out vaccines to return to normality. One challenge they face is scepticism of vaccines, which is widely shared among Jamaica's Rastafari, who tend to distrust Western medicine and institutions, partly due to a long history of racial injustice. "There is some danger in (the vaccines) and that is why I am not taking it and not encouraging it," Dermot Fagon, 66, the dreadlocked priest of the School of Vision, told Reuters. He said he feared it would allow authorities to track people via a microchip, a conspiracy theory that has spread in other parts of the world, too.

Although the School of Vision itself is small and fringe, Rastafari - who account for around 5-10% of Jamaica's nearly 3 million inhabitants - have an outsized influence on society. Prominent Rastafari reggae and dancehall artists like Spragga Benz and Cocoa Tea have voiced skepticism about the COVID-19 vaccines, influencing their large followings on social media. Only 32% of Jamaicans said they would take a COVID-19 vaccine, according to a recently published Gallup poll - one of the highest vaccine hesitancy rates worldwide and far below the around 60-70% that World Health Organization experts have estimated is needed to achieve herd immunity. mJamaica's government is aware of the Rastafari community's doubts, and prepared for the reality that not every Jamaican would take the vaccine, Health Ministry Permanent Secretary Dunstan Bryan told Reuters. "Herd immunity can be achieved without having all those populations vaccinated," he said.

SKEPTICISM

The Rastafari movement developed in Jamaica in the 1930s after a prophecy that a Black man would be crowned king in Africa and Haile Selassie was subsequently made Ethiopian Emperor. Blending Old Testament Christian prophecy and pan-African political consciousness, Rastafari philosophy and lifestyle became famous around the world through Bob Marley's reggae songs. Fagon says he took to the mountains outside the capital Kingston years ago to avoid the ills of modern Western society, which Rastafari refer to as 'Babylon,' and live a more natural, harmonious life. "We don't like the synthetics," Patrick Barrett, a popular reggae artist known as Tony Rebel, told Reuters, adding that food was his medicine. "I would prefer the natural order of things." Jahlani Niaah, a lecturer of Rastafari studies at the University of the West Indies, said "average Jamaicans have more skepticism" because of Rastafari mistrust. Other groups like evangelical churches are also advising against the vaccines. Authorities have so far only fully vaccinated some 57,000 people - not even 2% of the population - as they have struggled to obtain the necessary supplies. For some Rastafari, it's all just a tall tale. "It is a false alarm," popular reggae artist Worin Shaw, 44, known as Jah Bouks, told Reuters. "They are fabricating a lot of things, government and scientists. It is a money-making thing you know."

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 25, 2021 06:42

daspyknows
kovach
daspyknows

Players can and have played with Covid, fyi.

Date: June 25, 2021 07:13

LeonidP
daspyknows
kovach
daspyknows

Players can and have played with Covid, fyi.

Can you provide any examples? Players tested every day and any positive test the player put on a Covid list. Justin Turner and the golfer are the only professional athlets who I have heard competed with Covid.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...263264265266267268269270271272273...LastNext
Current Page: 268 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home