Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...262263264265266267268269270271272...LastNext
Current Page: 267 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 21, 2021 00:42

From CNN:

It has been 500 days since the first known US death from Covid-19.
Variants and low vaccination rates threaten to prolong the pandemic

Coronavirus

(CNN)As the United States continues on a path to near pre-pandemic normalcy, experts remain concerned over low vaccination rates and the spread of variants, which could potentially exacerbate a pandemic that has upended life for more than a year and inflicted a damaging toll on Americans and the world. New York and California, which were home to some of the nation's deadliest virus hotspots last year, are fully reopening in time for the summer as Sunday marks the 500th day since the first known Covid-19 death in the US. California officials announced in April 2020 that a 57-year-old woman who died on February 6 that year passed away from coronavirus complications, more than three weeks before what was previously believed to be the nation's first death in Washington state. Since then, at least 601,740 Americans have died from Covid-19, according to the most recent data from Johns Hopkins University. Recent months brought overall fewer cases, hospitalizations and deaths -- progress health experts attribute to vaccines.

With more than 300 million total vaccine doses administered as of this week, the US has gone through major coronavirus milestones worthy of celebration: From reporting a current seven-day moving average of 13,997 daily new cases this week compared to the peak of 251,834 cases on January 10, to administering an average of more than 3 million vaccine doses per day in April, according to data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But there's still a long way to go, CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Leana Wen warned Saturday evening. "We certainly have to acknowledge that we have come a long way, and we're out of the worst of it. We're not going to see the massive surges that we saw over the holidays," said Wen, who is the former health commissioner for Baltimore. "The problem, though, is that we should really be looking at the numbers for each community instead of looking at the US as a whole because while the US as a whole is doing so much better, and there are pockets of the country that have very high vaccination rates, we also have pockets of the country that are actually undergoing massive surges right now where their hospitals are getting full again," Wen said. While health experts agree full vaccination offers protection against some variants of Covid-19, Wen added that it's unknown whether a variant resistant to vaccines will emerge. "We just don't know. If it's anything that we've learned during Covid-19, it's how much we need to be humble in the face of this virus," she said. She noted that it's "certain" new variants will develop, which could make vaccines slightly ineffective, but not entirely. "This is another reason why those who are unvaccinated should be vaccinated as soon as possible," Wen said.

Vaccination lags continue in some states
As of Saturday, 44.9% of the total US population was fully vaccinated against Covid-19, while 53.2% had received at least one dose. Fourteen states have fully vaccinated more than half of their population, CDC data shows, and 16 states have accomplished President Joe Biden's goal to vaccinate 70% of adults with at least one dose by July 4. Nationally, 65.3% of adults have received at least one dose, with the current pace of vaccinations at 1.3 million doses per day, according to CDC data Saturday. Mississippi, one of the Southern states where vaccination rates are among the lowest in the country, has fully vaccinated 30% of its total population while 33% has received at least one dose, state health data published Friday shows. Jackson, Mississippi, Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba told CNN on Saturday the state is so far behind in vaccinations in part because of "a dynamic of so many individuals who do not have primary health care physicians on a day-to-day basis, and this is another example of how this pandemic is highlighting the disparities in health care." In Hinds County, where Jackson is located, 40% of the total population is at least partially vaccinated while 36% is fully inoculated, according to state data. "If we see people who do not have primary health care physicians and we're asking them to get vaccinated, we're asking them to deviate from the norms that they have in every other fashion of their lives," Lumumba added. "People who have not been to the doctor in many years, and in some instances never, and now we're trying to encourage them to ... go get a shot in their arm." Lumumba noted one way to encourage vaccination is "meeting people where they are," whether that's in barbershops or churches. He noted that vaccine accessibility and historical mistrust within Black and brown communities are contributing factors to the low vaccination rate in his city, whose population is about 85% Black.

Variants on the rise
Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee and Wyoming join Mississippi in being among the states with the lowest vaccination rates. That's a problem because experts have been warning that emerging variants could cause serious illness for the unvaccinated. The CDC has predicted the Delta variant, which was first identified in India, could become the dominant strain in the US. The Delta variant, along with the Gamma or P.1 variant, have been deemed variants of concern by the CDC—meaning their danger comes from their ability to transmit more easily or cause more severe disease. The Gamma variant, first identified in Brazil, has been detected in every US state where the CDC has variant information. Vaccination has been shown as the best way for the US to get ahead of the variants. A recent study by Public Health England found that two doses of a coronavirus vaccine are "highly effective against hospitalization" caused by the Delta variant. The study found the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is 96% effective against hospitalization after two doses. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy previously told CNN there isn't enough data to indicate the effectiveness of Johnson & Johnson's one-dose vaccine in regard to the Delta variant, but it has shown it can help prevent hospitalizations and deaths when people are infected with other strains. "The key is get vaccinated, get both doses," Murthy said. Steve Edwards, the CEO of CoxHealth, a system of hospitals and clinics based in Missouri, told CNN on Friday that the Delta variant is unlike others. "We can't tell why one patient is doing poorly and one is doing well. There's just something different about how this variant is affecting the immune system of our patients," Edwards said. He added along with low vaccination rates in Missouri, the Delta variant is playing a big role in the surge of cases at his hospitals. "I think the Delta variant is what's fueling this," he said. "Much of the South, Midwest, much of the places that have low vaccination rates -- if confronted with the Delta variant, will see a similar kind of surge of patients as we're beginning to see right now."

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 21, 2021 01:46

Ivermectin is apparently being re-evaluated. Considering the fact that vaccination isn't always successful, and the fact that the effective longevity of the various vaccines is still unknown, treatment options should still be considered. Fauci himself is now encouraging research on such treatment, which will cost millions.

This is quite informative, technical, and lengthy:

The mechanisms of action of Ivermectin against SARS-CoV-2: An evidence-based clinical review article

Conclusion

Considering the urgency of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, simultaneous detection of various new mutant strains and future potential re-emergence of novel coronaviruses, repurposing of approved drugs such as Ivermectin could be worthy of attention.

[www.nature.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 21, 2021 18:56

Canada, after extending the month to month border land crossing closure to July 21st, has announced the lifting of quarantines etc when arriving by air.
I believe this is a piece of the puzzle the band is waiting on before announcing the tour reschedule. While the land crossings are important as well, and an announcement on when they will reopen to non-essential travel is still expected soon.

No quarantine for fully-vaccinated air travellers: Ottawa
New measures allow travellers arriving in Canada by air to forego quarantine, mandatory hotel stay — provided they're fully vaccinated
Bryan Passifiume
Publishing date:Jun 21, 2021

Starting next month, fully-vaccinated travellers won’t need to quarantine upon entering Canada.

Announced on Monday, the new measures — set to come into force July 5 — will allow Canadians and eligible travellers to forego both the mandatory 14-day quarantine and day-8 COVID-19 test, provided they’ve received both COVID-19 vaccine doses at least 14 days prior to entering the country.

As well, vaccinated travellers won’t be subjected to the controversial three-day mandatory hotel quarantine — a program derided by many experts as a needless and ineffective measure to halt COVID-19 infections from entering Canada via international travel.

Non-vaccinated children arriving with their vaccinated parents will likewise be exempt from quarantine.

Travellers who aren’t vaccinated will still be required to quarantine, partake in the mandatory three-day hotel stay, and are subject to an additional COVID test on the eighth day of their quarantine.

Also starting in July, all travellers — regardless if they’ve been inoculated for COVID-19 — must declare their vaccination status prior to entering Canada.

Fully-vaccinated passengers wishing to be exempt from quarantine must provide evidence of their inoculations — including dates, number of doses and brand of vaccine via the government’s ArriveCAN smartphone app within 72 hours of their arrival, and must still have a quarantine plan if they end up not meeting requirements.

Quarantine exemptions only apply for passengers vaccinated with shots currently approved by Health Canada — Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Janssen/Johnson & Johnson — but with no restrictions on in which country the vaccinations were administered.

Only passengers arriving on or after July 5 are eligible for exemption.

Fully-vaccinated passengers arriving earlier — even on July 4 — must undergo current quarantine measures, and passengers are still subject to a COVID-19 test upon arrival.

The measures announced Monday do not open Canada’s borders to foreign nationals wishing to enter Canada for non-essential reasons.
[vancouversun.com]

Date: June 22, 2021 02:05

I'd like a Big Mac, large fries, chocolate shake, and a shot of vaccine while you're at it.

McDonald's Offers Free COVID-19 Vaccines at Some of Their California Stores

McCoronavirus

McDonald's is partnering up with the California Department of Public Health to offer free COVID-19 vaccinations at more than 70 locations beginning June 21.
The pop-up clinics will offer vaccines to McDonald's employees, their families, and the general public. Those who get a vaccine at McDonald's will receive a coupon for one free menu item, according to the company.
No appointment or health insurance is required, and walk-ups are welcomed.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 22, 2021 03:44

bleedingman
Ivermectin is apparently being re-evaluated. Considering the fact that vaccination isn't always successful, and the fact that the effective longevity of the various vaccines is still unknown, treatment options should still be considered. Fauci himself is now encouraging research on such treatment, which will cost millions.

The mechanisms of action of Ivermectin against SARS-CoV-2: An evidence-based clinical review article

Conclusion

Considering the urgency of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, simultaneous detection of various new mutant strains and future potential re-emergence of novel coronaviruses, repurposing of approved drugs such as Ivermectin could be worthy of attention.

[www.nature.com]

You can take Ivermectin after you catch it. It may or may not work. I'll go the the vaccine so I just don't catch it again.

Date: June 22, 2021 03:56

daspyknows
bleedingman

Conclusion

[www.nature.com]

You can take Ivermectin after you catch it. It may or may not work. I'll go the the vaccine so I just don't catch it again.

Hopefully you won't have to deal with a break through incident or be infected by yet another strain that your vaccine didn't prevent. Best be sure.

Date: June 22, 2021 04:40

bleedingman
daspyknows
bleedingman

Conclusion

[www.nature.com]

Hopefully you won't have to deal with a break through incident or be infected by yet another strain that your vaccine didn't prevent. Best be sure.

Don't worry, I use my rights to wear a mask and I make a point of staying away from crowds of unvaccinated. The odds of you catching it are much much higher.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 22, 2021 06:54

>Hopefully you won't have to deal with a break through incident or be infected by yet another strain that your vaccine didn't prevent. Best be sure.

I love when peoples use this sort of logic to rationalize not getting vaccinated. Like yeah hope you are not the one out of ten million that may be affected by something like a "break through incident", or some at this point nonexistent variant, meanwhile I will whistle my way down Covid Street because, you know, its all a witch hunt anyway.

Don't mean to be personal, but I can see its getting difficult to defend the indefensible position of not being vaccinated.

I do have to commend you though for not complaining about being alienated from your "God given rights". I think it was that other fellow.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-22 06:56 by jbwelda.

Date: June 22, 2021 06:59

jbwelda
>Hopefully you won't have to deal with a break through incident or be infected by yet another strain that your vaccine didn't prevent. Best be sure.

I love when peoples use this sort of logic to rationalize not getting vaccinated. Like yeah hope you are not the one out of ten million that may be affected by something like a "break through incident", or some at this point nonexistent variant, meanwhile I will whistle my way down Covid Street because, you know, its all a witch hunt anyway.

Don't mean to be personal, but I can see its getting difficult to defend the indefensible position of not being vaccinated.

jb

I was referring to the option of treatment should a vaccinated person be unfortunate enough to have a break through incident or should there be a variant which was resistant to the vaccine. This is being discussed and reported. You put anything in your body that you choose to and I wish you all the luck. I'll continue to check in occasionally just so's you know that I'm still alive and well. And unvaccinated.

Date: June 22, 2021 07:38

bleedingman
jbwelda

jb

I was referring to the option of treatment should a vaccinated person be unfortunate enough to have a break through incident or should there be a variant which was resistant to the vaccine. This is being discussed and reported. You put anything in your body that you choose to and I wish you all the luck. I'll continue to check in occasionally just so's you know that I'm still alive and well. And unvaccinated.

At this point serious illness for breakthrough infections are rare. About as rare as side effects from the vaccine. I am not worries because I am careful and the only unvaccinated people I am in close, unmasked contact are vaccinated. If I was unvaccinated (boy that sounds stupid) I would be wearing masks and avoiding indoor high risk places. Delta and Gamma are going to do some damage.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 22, 2021 13:03

Hairball
I'd like a Big Mac, large fries, chocolate shake, and a shot of vaccine while you're at it.

McCoronavirus

McDonald's is partnering up with the California Department of Public Health to offer free COVID-19 vaccinations at more than 70 locations beginning June 21.
The pop-up clinics will offer vaccines to McDonald's employees, their families, and the general public. Those who get a vaccine at McDonald's will receive a coupon for one free menu item, according to the company.

America. Get a vaccine while you get unhealthy eating (literally) the worst "food" one can put in their body....along w/ a sugary-soda!

McDonalds will save us!!

I love this country....I really do. We truly are the best.....it's a shame we're the worst.

Only in America could THE face of the biggest health-crisis since smoking (obesity) be involved in helping prevent illness....an illness made 10x worse b/c of obesity.....and they are giving out free obesity-causing food and drink in exchange for the vaccine.

classic.

Free weed, booze and donuts were pretty good too.

if we don't address obesity (which we won't), we can expect the Variants to be far worse than they need to be.....one reason being that the vaccines are less-effective among fat people...

add to that all the other health-problems associated w/ obesity, of which there are 1000s and we are in for a rough road health-wise for a looooong time, I think.

I think I'll go surf and work in the garden. Looks like a longboard day.

U-S-A! U-S-A!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-22 13:06 by stickyfingers101.

Date: June 23, 2021 00:39

From CNN for all of our anti-vaxxer friends. Delta is going to be bad. It was 10% of the cases last week. 20% this week.

More infectious variant now makes up 20% of coronavirus samples tested, Fauci says

By Madeline Holcombe and Theresa Waldrop, CNN

Updated 5:30 PM ET, Tue June 22, 2021
Delta variant fuels the rise of new Covid cases across the globe

(CNN)The Delta coronavirus variant, which is highly transmissible and possibly more dangerous than current predominant variants, now makes up more than 20% of all samples sequenced in the United States after the percentage doubled in a recent two-week period, Dr. Anthony Fauci said.

The country seems to be following a pattern seen in the United Kingdom, both with a variant first seen there -- the B.1.1.7 Alpha -- and now with the Delta variant, said the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
"As was the case with B.1.1.7, we seem to be following the pattern with the Delta variant, with a doubling time of about two weeks," Fauci said Tuesday at a White House Covid-19 Task Force briefing.
Some labs genetically sequence samples of the virus taken from patients to find out which variant is involved, and these test results are reported to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: June 23, 2021 01:33

Yes, Delta is spreading everywhere sooner or later. Meanwhile WHO is already watching the next mutants: Lambda is on the list "variants of interest" coming from Latin Amrica. It's not over yet.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 23, 2021 01:36

stickyfingers101
Hairball

McCoronavirus

This is a joke I hope

America. Get a vaccine while you get unhealthy eating (literally) the worst "food" one can put in their body....along w/ a sugary-soda!

McDonalds will save us!!

I love this country....I really do. We truly are the best.....it's a shame we're the worst.

Only in America could THE face of the biggest health-crisis since smoking (obesity) be involved in helping prevent illness....an illness made 10x worse b/c of obesity.....and they are giving out free obesity-causing food and drink in exchange for the vaccine.

classic.

Free weed, booze and donuts were pretty good too.

if we don't address obesity (which we won't), we can expect the Variants to be far worse than they need to be.....one reason being that the vaccines are less-effective among fat people...

add to that all the other health-problems associated w/ obesity, of which there are 1000s and we are in for a rough road health-wise for a looooong time, I think.

I think I'll go surf and work in the garden. Looks like a longboard day.

U-S-A! U-S-A!

Those who get a vaccine at McDonald's will receive a coupon for one free menu item

This can't be true....it must be a joke I hope.....okay it's fake news

Date: June 23, 2021 01:53

Plenty of incentives here in the US to entice people to get vaccinated....you can get fat with free donuts, get high on free weed, get drunk on free beer,
have a heart attack at McDonalds, and even the possibility to win a big lottery... Oh yeah almost forgot - you can also get a free gun and go out and shoot something...or someone...
All these wonderful incentives, and it's no wonder this country is in trouble. If the virus doesn't kill people, these incentives are a good plan B to wreak havoc across the nation.

Date: June 23, 2021 02:23

Hairball
Plenty of incentives here in the US to entice people to get vaccinated....you can get fat with free donuts, get high on free weed, get drunk on free beer,
have a heart attack at McDonalds, and even the possibility to win a big lottery... Oh yeah almost forgot - you can also get a free gun and go out and shoot something...or someone...
All these wonderful incentives, and it's no wonder this country is in trouble. If the virus doesn't kill people, these incentives are a good plan B to wreak havoc across the nation.

After being vax reluctant all these months, this finally convinced me:

Date: June 23, 2021 02:51

Lol........................

Date: June 23, 2021 03:14

Hairball

Ironically, it's been postulated by certain politicians that hamburgers contribute to global warming and they should be banned. All those free burgers could kill us all but at least we'll be vaccinated.

Date: June 23, 2021 03:57

bleedingman
Hairball

Ironically, it's been postulated by certain politicians that hamburgers contribute to global warming and they should be banned. All those free burgers could kill us all but at least we'll be vaccinated.

hamburgers don't cause global warming. cow farts add methane to the atmosphere. cows don't fart when they are ground up. not all of us will be vaccinated, some people like playing russian roulette.

Date: June 23, 2021 05:29

daspyknows
bleedingman
Hairball

hamburgers don't cause global warming. cow farts add methane to the atmosphere. cows don't fart when they are ground up. not all of us will be vaccinated, some people like playing russian roulette.

The beef industry most certainly is detrimental to the environment and cows do fart before they are horribly slaughtered so that they can be converted to those delicious hamburgers that will add cholesterol to the bloodstream of the burger chasing vaxxers who will no doubt die horribly also. Can we be Facebook friends?

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: June 23, 2021 07:59

Isn’t that the amount of land that needs to be cleared to support the raising of beef cattle is the issue for climate change?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 23, 2021 09:50

This thread is about the pandemic. It is not about burgers or climate changes.

Bjornulf

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: June 23, 2021 10:53

Back to Covid related issues.

What do people feel about crossing the world if the Stones fall tour comes off ?

The UK message on travel is so muddy. I wouldn't want to commit to buying non refundable Tickets / flights at the moment as well as well as dealing the every changing quarantine rules.

Kind of a mute point at the moment as the US won't let us in.

sc uk

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: June 23, 2021 11:34

I for one wouldn't travel to see any band - even the Stones - just now or attend any sort of stadium event. Although vaccinated, my understanding is that I could still pass the virus on, not only risking others' health, but increasing the risk of other variants emerging. I think we should learn to walk before we run. We all hope this thing is nearly over - or at least manageable - but we're not there yet. Only three weeks ago I had to cancel a holiday (in Scotland, where I live) due to the high number of Delta cases in my city.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: June 23, 2021 11:58

Personally (even if we were allowed to leave the uk or enter the US) I wouldn’t be rushing to (I’m also double jabbed). A few more months of large scale vaccination in the UK and I would be happy to attend a foo fighters style all vaccinated gig, but I wouldn’t be booking flights to the us at the moment. The delta is v prominent in the uk just now, would imagine this will be repeated pretty quickly in Europe and US.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 23, 2021 16:04

straycatuk

What do people feel about crossing the world if the Stones fall tour comes off ?

The UK message on travel is so muddy. I wouldn't want to commit to buying non refundable Tickets / flights at the moment as well as well as dealing the every changing quarantine rules.

sc uk

The restrictions upheld by other nations would put me off. I find travelling to be a chore enough in itself, without quarantining and red-tape. In regards to only wanting to attend fully-vaccinated concerts: it wouldn't bother me, personally, if others around were not vaccinated. I don't think it'll ever be do-able to hold a fully-vaccinated event, anyway. Negative-testing proof, via an NHS phone app would be fairer, I feel.

Date: June 23, 2021 16:13

Big Al
straycatuk

sc uk

The restrictions upheld by other nations would put me off. I find travelling to be a chore enough in itself, without quarantining and red-tape. In regards to only wanting to attend fully-vaccinated concerts: it wouldn't bother me, personally, if others around were not vaccinated. I don't think it'll ever be do-able to hold a fully-vaccinated event, anyway. Negative-testing proof, via an NHS phone app would be fairer, I feel.

I thought most countries were going for shows where fully-vaxxed, people who had covid the last 6 months and people with fresh test results could attend?

The latter is the challenge here. It will cost a lot of manpower to do those rapid tests quickly. Then again, it will be better than not having an event at all, I guess...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-23 16:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 23, 2021 16:33

Hairball
This sucks for me as I got vaxxed in March . I missed out on free weed , the coupon for Mc'd's, a free gun , donuts, Jeez

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 23, 2021 17:03

Seeing news this morning of another new variant in India, being called the ‘Delta plus’ variant, or AY.1. There is uncertainty about how big the threat is. If variants continue to emerge (as they will in unvaccinated populations) the tour will become increasingly unlikely - am never sure whether to put this news on the Covid thread or the tour thread.

[www.bbc.com]

“India has classified a new variant of the coronavirus first identified in Europe as a "variant of concern", but it's too early to tell whether it poses a significant threat.
India's health ministry says studies showed that the so-called Delta plus variant - also known as AY.1 - spreads more easily, binds more easily to lung cells and is potentially resistant to monoclonal antibody therapy, a potent intravenous infusion of antibodies to neutralise the virus.
The variant is related to the Delta, an existing variant of concern, which was first identified in India last year and is thought to have driven the deadly second wave of infections this summer in India.
The health ministry says the Delta plus variant, first found in India in April, has been detected in around 40 samples from six districts in three states - Maharashtra, Kerala and Madhya Pradesh. At least 16 of these samples were found in Maharashtra, one of the states hardest hit by the pandemic.
Delta plus has also been found in nine other countries - USA, UK, Portugal, Switzerland, Japan, Poland, Nepal, Russia and China - compared to the original highly contagious Delta strain, which has now spread to 80 countries.“

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 23, 2021 19:20

straycatuk

sc uk

There has never been a better time to book travel than now in terms of great pricing and flexibility from the airlines,hotel brands etc.Most airlines are now allowing free date and destination changes or vouchers if you just want to cancel.Under normal circumstances this wouldn’t be the case.Last summer I had 5 different flights booked to various locations all on the same day and made a decision which one to take whilst on my way to the airport.I ended up in Venice. The other 4 flights I took vouchers which are valid for use up until 2023 so there really isn’t any reason not to book if you are prepared to put up with rearranging
travel.
I haven’t flown yet this year but will be flying next month two weeks after my second jab.Hopefully the U.K. government gets it act together and drops quarantine for double jabbed people as is rumoured.I am able to claim exemption from quarantine due to my work but if I wasn’t able to I would not comply with quarantine anyway as keeping people locked down who have been double jabbed is ludicrous.

Nate

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...262263264265266267268269270271272...LastNext
Current Page: 267 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home