Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...257258259260261262263264265266267...LastNext
Current Page: 262 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 14, 2021 04:22

Strange days.............

Anti-vaxxers are weaponizing Yelp to punish bars that require vaccine proof

Negative spam reviews are destroying bars and restaurants as they attempt to re-open safely.

by Tanya Basu, June 12, 2021

YELP

On the first hot weekend of the summer, Richard Knapp put up a sign outside Mother’s Ruin, a bar tucked in Manhattan’s SoHo neighborhood.
It had two arrows: one pointing vaccinated people indoors, another pointing unvaccinated people outdoors.

The Instagram post showing the sign (above) quickly went viral among European anti-vaxxers on Reddit. “We started receiving hate mail through the Google portal,” Knapp says, estimating he’d received about a “few dozen” emails: “I’ve been called a Nazi and a communist in the same sentence. People hope that our bar burns down. It’s a name and shame campaign.” It wasn’t just the emails. Soon, his bar started receiving multiple one-star reviews on Yelp and Google Reviews from accounts as far away as Europe.

Spamming review portals with negative ratings is not a new phenomenon. Throughout the pandemic, the tactic has also been deployed to attack bars and restaurants that enforced mask-wearing for safety. As pandemic restrictions have lifted, businesses like Mother’s Ruin have sought to ensure that safety by requiring proof of vaccination using state-sponsored apps like New York’s Excelsior Pass, vaccine passports, or simply flashing vaccine cards at the door — practices that have instigated a second surge of spam reviews. These spam one-star reviews can be extremely damaging. The default mode for viewing reviews is in chronological order, from newest to oldest, which means a spam attack places fake reviews up top, making the most recent reviews that much more influential if you’re the victim of a concerted campaign. While some companies have gotten around this issue on their own sites by verifying that reviewers are actual customers by reaching out to them via email and matching them with what they have on file, industry-leading platforms like Yelp and Google let anyone to rate and review a business.

In April, Marshall Smith instituted what may have been the US’s first policy requiring patrons to prove they were fully vaccinated against coronavirus at Bar Max in Denver. He didn’t think it would be a big deal to ask customers to show their vaccination cards at the door. “I didn’t consider the politics, and perhaps that was naive on my part,” he says. Within days, his bar was slammed with one-star reviews on Google that took his average rating from 4.6 out of 5 stars to 4. “We were in the top 10 best reviewed craft cocktail bars in Denver [pre-pandemic],” he says. “It might not sound significant but if you drop out of the first page of results, it’s a big deal: you’re out of top 10 lists, listicle mentions. We don’t do a lot of advertising because people look at our reviews. We’ve built six years of good reviews that’s been chiseled away over a matter of months.” These reviews don’t stay permanently in a business’s history. Yelp roots out spam, though the company “does not tell anybody [how its spam detection works]” says Bing Liu, a professor of computer science at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Liu was a co-author in 2013 of a paper that attempted to replicate Yelp’s methods, finding that that company most likely used keywords to root out possible spammers.

Smith’s Yelp reviews were shut down after the sudden flurry of activity on its page, which the company labels “unusual activity alerts,” a stopgap measure for both the business and Yelp to filter through a flood of reviews and pick out which are spam and which aren’t. Noorie Malik, Yelp’s vice president of user operations, said Yelp has a “team of moderators” that investigate pages that get an unusual amount of traffic. “After we’ve seen activity dramatically decrease or stop, we will then clean up the page so that only firsthand consumer experiences are reflected,” she said in a statement. It’s a practice that Yelp has had to deploy more often over the course of the pandemic: According to Yelp's 2020 Trust & Safety Report, the company saw a 206% increase over 2019 levels in unusual activity alerts. “Since January 2021, we’ve placed more than 15 unusual activity alerts on business pages related to a business’s stance on covid-19 vaccinations,” said Malik. The majority of those cases have been since May, like the gay bar C.C. Attles in Seattle, which got an alert from Yelp after it made patrons show proof of vaccination at the door. Earlier this month, Moe’s Cantina in Chicago’s River North neighborhood got spammed after it attempted to isolate vaccinated customers from unvaccinated ones.

Spamming a business with one-star reviews is not a new tactic. In fact, perhaps the best-known case is Colorado’s Masterpiece bakery, which won a 2018 Supreme Court battle for refusing to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple, after which it got pummeled by one-star reviews. “People are still writing fake reviews. People will always write fake reviews,” Liu says. But he adds that today’s online audience know that platforms use algorithms to detect and flag problematic words, so bad actors can mask their grievances by blaming poor restaurant service like a more typical negative review to ensure the rating stays up — and counts. That seems to have been the case with Knapp’s bar. His Yelp review included comments like “There was hair in my food” or alleged cockroach sightings. “Really ridiculous, fantastic shit,” Knapp says. “If you looked at previous reviews, you would understand immediately that this doesn’t make sense.” Liu also says there is a limit to how much Yelp can improve their spam detection, since natural language — or the way we speak, read, and write — “is very tough for computer systems to detect.” But Liu doesn’t think putting a human being in charge of figuring out which reviews are spam or not will solve the problem. “Human beings can’t do it,” he says. “Some people might get it right, some people might get it wrong. I have fake reviews on my webpage and even I can’t tell which are real or not.”

You might notice that I’ve only mentioned Yelp reviews thus far, despite the fact that Google reviews — which appear in the business description box on the right side of the Google search results page under “reviews” — is arguably more influential. That’s because Google’s review operations are, frankly, even more mysterious. While businesses I spoke to said Yelp worked with them on identifying spam reviews, none of them had any luck with contacting Google’s team. “You would think Google would say, ‘Something is @#$%& up here,’” Knapp says. “These are IP addresses from overseas. It really undermines the review platform when things like this are allowed to happen.” Google did not respond to multiple requests for comment; however, within a few hours of our call, Knapp said some problematic reviews on Google had cleared up for him. Smith said he had not yet gotten any response from Google about reviews, save for automated responses saying that multiple reviews he had flagged did not qualify getting taken down because “the reviews in question don't fall under any of the violation categories, according to our policies.”

Spam reviews aren’t going anywhere and will continue to be a problem for years to come. And the fact remains that online communities — like the European anti-vaxxers that descended upon Mother’s Ruin’s reviews — can destroy faraway livelihoods with the click of a star rating. Those ratings haunt business owners like Smith. “I still have folks putting one-star reviews on our Google listing,” he says. “Outliers pull down averages, that’s math. It’s a pretty effective means of attack for the folks who do this.” Knapp feels equally frustrated and helpless. “We’re just trying to survive through the most traumatic experience that’s ever hit the hospitality industry,” he says. “The idea that we are under attack by this community and there is no real vehicle to combat it, that’s frustrating.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-14 04:23 by Hairball.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 14, 2021 04:46

LOL Get vaccinated and still have to endure this.

"I ordered the avocado toast with poached eggs. When i got the order the avocado was as hard as a rock (so was my friend's). They gave me an OVER hard poached egg (and the waiter said that's the way they do it- NOT). I sent it back (nicely) and said just give me DRY toast and two poached eggs. When I got THAT order the eggs were cold (although perfectly poached) and my toast was saturated with oil/butter. I gave up and decided to just not eat. They took my order off the bill but it "ruined" my Mother's RUIN experience."

[www.yelp.com]

Date: June 14, 2021 04:52

daspyknows
bleedingman
Here's the footage from the article Rockman posted. Follow the science indeed. But we're all supposed to rush a vaccine into our bodies when the actual source of the illness has been covered up. [www.youtube.com]

This vaccine technology has been under development for 20 years. Understand the science behind the vaccine. Millions have died from the virus, how many have died from the vaccine? How many lives have been saved from the vaccine?

Will I get this vaccine?: No
Will I have side effects (possibly death) from this vaccine?: NO
Will I get Covid?: Maybe
Will it kill me?: Odds are heavily against it. There are treatments.

I wish everyone who chose to embrace the vaccine a long and happy life, without any unforeseen side effects.

Edit: We've been poorly served, and as this story emphatically demonstrates, lied to throughout this pandemic. There is a very good chance that this virus was created in a lab. The vaccines that have been "under development" weren't intended to fight what might possibly be a bioweapon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-14 05:00 by bleedingman.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 14, 2021 05:18

RockeeeeeBoy have breakfast at home ....
No check-in ... No mask .... just wash hands at enjoy ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: June 14, 2021 05:46

bleedingman
daspyknows
bleedingman
Here's the footage from the article Rockman posted. Follow the science indeed. But we're all supposed to rush a vaccine into our bodies when the actual source of the illness has been covered up. [www.youtube.com]

This vaccine technology has been under development for 20 years. Understand the science behind the vaccine. Millions have died from the virus, how many have died from the vaccine? How many lives have been saved from the vaccine?

I wish everyone who chose to embrace the vaccine a long and happy life, without any unforeseen side effects.

Edit: We've been poorly served, and as this story emphatically demonstrates, lied to throughout this pandemic. There is a very good chance that this virus was created in a lab. The vaccines that have been "under development" weren't intended to fight what might possibly be a bioweapon.

Agree with you on all points except the one I highlighted. Personally, I do not trust the vax. Example: a friend of my wife, 32 years old, excellent health, runs marathons, took the first of two about two weeks ago. 2 hours later she was in the hospital near death. As of today she can still barely move, nearly paralyzed.

I ain't taking sh*t.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: June 14, 2021 06:23

Of those that have a bad reaction to the vaccine, I believe that is one of the more common side effects (ie, paralysis)

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 14, 2021 06:34

There are new articles just out that the spike proteins are dangerous in and of themselves. When you get most of the Cov-19 vaccines you are stimulating your system to:

"The mRNA vaccines by Pfizer and Moderna don’t do this. Instead, they contain mRNA that tricks cells into manufacturing spike proteins that resemble the coronavirus and the body creates the antibodies to those proteins."
[www.americanthinker.com]

I understand the Russian vaccine is made the conventional way. Same/similar to other vaccinations you have gotten. Do your due diligence on this Russian vaccine.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 14, 2021 06:44

bleedingman
I have seen that video previously. It very coherent and a quick view---15min--- at youtube. An Australian reporter explains how this virus origin as a Wuhan lab leak, is achieving prominence over the long time conventional thinking that Cov-19 came from, bats or pangolins sold at Wuhan wet market.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 14, 2021 06:50

bleedingman
daspyknows
bleedingman

Why are the odds of dying or having severe long term side effects from Covid? At least 1%

What are the odds of having severe side effects from the vaccine? .00001%

Did you ever study statistics? Doubt It

Do I care whether you or any other anti-vaxxers die or have long term effects from Covid? NO. I just don't want to suffer from it.

Date: June 14, 2021 09:03

The figures are worse than that if I understand correctly.

According to VAERS(the primary government-funded system for reporting adverse vaccine reactions in the US), COVID vaccines are resulting in .0016% mortality rate (within 48 hours of receiving the vaccine). I think serious injuries about 4 to 5 times the mortality rate but I would need to check.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 14, 2021 09:30

bleedingman
daspyknows
bleedingman

Will I get ..., Will I have ..., Will it kill me ...
You answers on your selfproclaimed questions makes me wonder. You must be a very well known scientist where you live, or?
You, with all your knowledge, must know about post-war vaccinations a lot, or?
Dreadful diseases like polio, measles, difteria, tetanus, and many others have been reduced to numbers dramatically or even eliminated completely, thanks to vaccinations schemes started more well over half a Century ago. Maybe you are currently able to project your scientific knowledge, because you didn't get killed or badly damaged by any of those illnesses.
Do you have kids? I hope not, because with a scientifically educated parent like you their future looks pretty insecure, I'd say.
It's not about "Chinese complots" or "Pharmaceutical mass control", it's about how you deal with the problem on a human level. The simple fact that the masses are being manipulated all the time, means that they (the masses) have to be awake at any time. Why would anyone stop for a red traffic light. "I'm intelligent and don't need traffic lights of any colour". THAT sounds very intelligent, or?

Yes, bleedingman, we're being manipulated all the time, while the 600.000 dead Americans (and 3.8 million around the world) are manipulated figures indeed, they are not because of what you think, no, the real Covid death toll is very like already closing in to 10 Million.
The WW II death toll could be around 50 Million ... or would you say "44 Million, because the Holocaust never took place"? Wake up man!
Get your vaccine and live (really) happily ever after! ... with, who knows, one or a couple of great Rolling Stones concerts ahead.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-14 16:26 by georgie48.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 14, 2021 17:00

Hairball
Strange days.............

Anti-vaxxers are weaponizing Yelp to punish bars that require vaccine proof

Negative spam reviews are destroying bars and restaurants as they attempt to re-open safely.

by Tanya Basu, June 12, 2021

YELP

On the first hot weekend of the summer, Richard Knapp put up a sign outside Mother’s Ruin, a bar tucked in Manhattan’s SoHo neighborhood.
It had two arrows: one pointing vaccinated people indoors, another pointing unvaccinated people outdoors.

The Instagram post showing the sign (above) quickly went viral among European anti-vaxxers on Reddit. “We started receiving hate mail through the Google portal,” Knapp says, estimating he’d received about a “few dozen” emails: “I’ve been called a Nazi and a communist in the same sentence. People hope that our bar burns down. It’s a name and shame campaign.” It wasn’t just the emails. Soon, his bar started receiving multiple one-star reviews on Yelp and Google Reviews from accounts as far away as Europe.

Spamming review portals with negative ratings is not a new phenomenon. Throughout the pandemic, the tactic has also been deployed to attack bars and restaurants that enforced mask-wearing for safety. As pandemic restrictions have lifted, businesses like Mother’s Ruin have sought to ensure that safety by requiring proof of vaccination using state-sponsored apps like New York’s Excelsior Pass, vaccine passports, or simply flashing vaccine cards at the door — practices that have instigated a second surge of spam reviews. These spam one-star reviews can be extremely damaging. The default mode for viewing reviews is in chronological order, from newest to oldest, which means a spam attack places fake reviews up top, making the most recent reviews that much more influential if you’re the victim of a concerted campaign. While some companies have gotten around this issue on their own sites by verifying that reviewers are actual customers by reaching out to them via email and matching them with what they have on file, industry-leading platforms like Yelp and Google let anyone to rate and review a business.

In April, Marshall Smith instituted what may have been the US’s first policy requiring patrons to prove they were fully vaccinated against coronavirus at Bar Max in Denver. He didn’t think it would be a big deal to ask customers to show their vaccination cards at the door. “I didn’t consider the politics, and perhaps that was naive on my part,” he says. Within days, his bar was slammed with one-star reviews on Google that took his average rating from 4.6 out of 5 stars to 4. “We were in the top 10 best reviewed craft cocktail bars in Denver [pre-pandemic],” he says. “It might not sound significant but if you drop out of the first page of results, it’s a big deal: you’re out of top 10 lists, listicle mentions. We don’t do a lot of advertising because people look at our reviews. We’ve built six years of good reviews that’s been chiseled away over a matter of months.” These reviews don’t stay permanently in a business’s history. Yelp roots out spam, though the company “does not tell anybody [how its spam detection works]” says Bing Liu, a professor of computer science at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Liu was a co-author in 2013 of a paper that attempted to replicate Yelp’s methods, finding that that company most likely used keywords to root out possible spammers.

Smith’s Yelp reviews were shut down after the sudden flurry of activity on its page, which the company labels “unusual activity alerts,” a stopgap measure for both the business and Yelp to filter through a flood of reviews and pick out which are spam and which aren’t. Noorie Malik, Yelp’s vice president of user operations, said Yelp has a “team of moderators” that investigate pages that get an unusual amount of traffic. “After we’ve seen activity dramatically decrease or stop, we will then clean up the page so that only firsthand consumer experiences are reflected,” she said in a statement. It’s a practice that Yelp has had to deploy more often over the course of the pandemic: According to Yelp's 2020 Trust & Safety Report, the company saw a 206% increase over 2019 levels in unusual activity alerts. “Since January 2021, we’ve placed more than 15 unusual activity alerts on business pages related to a business’s stance on covid-19 vaccinations,” said Malik. The majority of those cases have been since May, like the gay bar C.C. Attles in Seattle, which got an alert from Yelp after it made patrons show proof of vaccination at the door. Earlier this month, Moe’s Cantina in Chicago’s River North neighborhood got spammed after it attempted to isolate vaccinated customers from unvaccinated ones.

Spamming a business with one-star reviews is not a new tactic. In fact, perhaps the best-known case is Colorado’s Masterpiece bakery, which won a 2018 Supreme Court battle for refusing to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple, after which it got pummeled by one-star reviews. “People are still writing fake reviews. People will always write fake reviews,” Liu says. But he adds that today’s online audience know that platforms use algorithms to detect and flag problematic words, so bad actors can mask their grievances by blaming poor restaurant service like a more typical negative review to ensure the rating stays up — and counts. That seems to have been the case with Knapp’s bar. His Yelp review included comments like “There was hair in my food” or alleged cockroach sightings. “Really ridiculous, fantastic shit,” Knapp says. “If you looked at previous reviews, you would understand immediately that this doesn’t make sense.” Liu also says there is a limit to how much Yelp can improve their spam detection, since natural language — or the way we speak, read, and write — “is very tough for computer systems to detect.” But Liu doesn’t think putting a human being in charge of figuring out which reviews are spam or not will solve the problem. “Human beings can’t do it,” he says. “Some people might get it right, some people might get it wrong. I have fake reviews on my webpage and even I can’t tell which are real or not.”

You might notice that I’ve only mentioned Yelp reviews thus far, despite the fact that Google reviews — which appear in the business description box on the right side of the Google search results page under “reviews” — is arguably more influential. That’s because Google’s review operations are, frankly, even more mysterious. While businesses I spoke to said Yelp worked with them on identifying spam reviews, none of them had any luck with contacting Google’s team. “You would think Google would say, ‘Something is @#$%& up here,’” Knapp says. “These are IP addresses from overseas. It really undermines the review platform when things like this are allowed to happen.” Google did not respond to multiple requests for comment; however, within a few hours of our call, Knapp said some problematic reviews on Google had cleared up for him. Smith said he had not yet gotten any response from Google about reviews, save for automated responses saying that multiple reviews he had flagged did not qualify getting taken down because “the reviews in question don't fall under any of the violation categories, according to our policies.”

Spam reviews aren’t going anywhere and will continue to be a problem for years to come. And the fact remains that online communities — like the European anti-vaxxers that descended upon Mother’s Ruin’s reviews — can destroy faraway livelihoods with the click of a star rating. Those ratings haunt business owners like Smith. “I still have folks putting one-star reviews on our Google listing,” he says. “Outliers pull down averages, that’s math. It’s a pretty effective means of attack for the folks who do this.” Knapp feels equally frustrated and helpless. “We’re just trying to survive through the most traumatic experience that’s ever hit the hospitality industry,” he says. “The idea that we are under attack by this community and there is no real vehicle to combat it, that’s frustrating.”

well...this is the way of the future.

sounds similar to what happened w/ Game Stop - Social media manipulated/used to influence behavior & outcomes

....also sounds similar to that episode of "Black Mirror" where we are all "ranking" each other about everything....and huge portions of your life hang in the balance.

Whatever...too bad for you "Mother's Ruin"....I won't be patronizing your Segregationist Establishment...

and, if social-media can be used to smash the "I won't bake cakes for Gay Weddings" policy, not sure why it can't be used to smash the Vaccine-Related Segregation....

IMO, if you are in the SERVICE industry, your best business-plan is to Love All, Serve All....unless you don't like money.

....all money folds the same way, so I'm not sure why anybody would want to reject customers....

confused smileyRe: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Date: June 14, 2021 17:47

Another vaccine candidate coming. Will our resident antivaxxers hate this one too?

[www.nytimes.com]

Novavax Offers U.S. a Fourth Strong Covid-19 Vaccine
The company’s large U.S. trial found an efficacy rate of about 90 percent. But at this point, the nation is awash in other shots.

Novavax, a small American company buoyed by lavish support from the U.S. government, announced on Monday the results of a clinical trial of its Covid-19 vaccine in the United States and Mexico, finding that its two-shot inoculation provides potent protection against the coronavirus.

In the 29,960-person trial, the vaccine demonstrated an overall efficacy of 90.4 percent, on par with the vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, and higher than the one-shot vaccine from Johnson & Johnson. The Novavax vaccine showed an efficacy of 100 percent at preventing moderate or severe disease.

Despite these impressive results, the vaccine’s future in the United States is uncertain and it might be needed more in other countries. Novavax says it may not seek emergency authorization from the Food and Drug Administration until the end of September. And with a plentiful supply of three other authorized vaccines, it’s possible that the agency may tell Novavax to apply instead for a full license — a process that could require several extra months.

The company’s chief executive, Stanley Erck, acknowledged in an interview that Novavax would probably win its first authorization elsewhere. The company is also applying in Britain, the European Union, India and South Korea.

“I think the good news is that the data are so compelling that it gives everybody an incentive to pay attention to our filings,” Mr. Erck said.

By the time Novavax gets the green light from the U.S. government, it may be too late to contribute to the country’s first wave of vaccinations. But many vaccine experts expect that, with waning immunity and emerging variants, the country will need booster shots at some point. And the protein-based technology used in the Novavax vaccine may do a particularly good job at amplifying protection, even if people have previously been vaccinated with a different formulation.

“They may be really the right ones for boosters,” said Dr. Luciana Borio, who was the acting chief scientist at the F.D.A. from 2015 to 2017.

Last year, the Trump administration’s Operation Warp Speed program awarded Novavax a $1.6 billion contract for 100 million future doses. The company won this tremendous support despite never having brought a vaccine to market in over three decades.

In January, Novavax announced that its 15,000-person trial in Britain found that the vaccine had an efficacy of 96 percent against the original coronavirus. Against Alpha, a virus variant first identified in Britain, the efficacy fell slightly to 86 percent. In South Africa, where Novavax ran a smaller trial on 2,900 people and the Beta variant was dominant, the company found an efficacy of just 49 percent.

But the South Africa trial was complicated by the fact that a number of the volunteers had H.I.V., which is known to hamper vaccines. In addition, the study was so small that it was difficult to estimate how much protection the vaccine provided H.I.V.-negative volunteers.

With the support of Operation Warp Speed, Novavax drew up plans for an even larger late-stage trial in the United States and Mexico. But difficulties with manufacturing delayed its launch until December.

By then, the United States had authorized the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines. In February, with the Novavax trial still underway, the government authorized Johnson & Johnson’s.

As it waited for trial results, Novavax partnered with other companies to start making massive quantities of its vaccine. In India, it joined forces with the Serum Institute, and in South Korea, SK Biosciences. Novavax reached an agreement with Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, to supply 1.1 billion doses to middle- and low-income countries.

But the company’s difficulties with scaling continued, and it needed more time to develop special tests used to confirm the quality of its product.

The new results were based on 77 trial volunteers who came down with Covid-19. The volunteers who received placebo shots were far more likely than the vaccinated ones to get sick, a statistical difference that translated to an efficacy of 90.4 percent.

“It’s a strong result,” said Natalie Dean, a biostatistician at the University of Florida. “It puts them up in that high tier.”

The vaccine showed the same efficacy in a group of high-risk volunteers — people who were over the age of 65, had medical risk factors or had jobs that exposed them to the virus.

Novavax sequenced the genomes of 54 of the 77 viral samples, and found that half were Alpha, the variant that became dominant in the United States this spring.

The vaccine’s side effects were relatively mild. Some volunteers reported fatigue, headaches and other minor symptoms. “This vaccine seems easier on the arms,” said John Moore, a virologist at Weill Cornell Medicine who was a volunteer in the Novavax trial.

Novavax will apply for authorization in the United States after it finishes developing a quality control test, according to its chief executive. “You have to test them every way from Sunday to show that under any conditions you get the same answer,” Mr. Erck said. “And that takes time.”

Mr. Erck said that the company plans on making 100 million doses per month by the end of the third quarter, and 150 million doses per month by the end of the fourth quarter.

With each passing week, the United States is building a bigger supply of authorized vaccines from other companies, raising the question of whether the nation needs to give any more emergency use authorizations, or EUAs.

“The law says that once you have sufficient doses, there’s no need for additional E.U.A.’s,” Dr. Borio said.

One sign that the F.D.A. is changing its approach to Covid-19 vaccines came last week. An American company called Ocugen had been seeking emergency authorization for Covaxin, a Covid-19 vaccine now in use in India. But on Thursday, the company announced that the F.D.A. had recommended they instead take the standard path to a full approval, known as a biologics license application, which takes many additional months.

But because Novavax has been consulting with the F.D.A. since last year about its trials, Mr. Erck said the company might be able to continue with its plans for seeking emergency use authorization.

“So far, they’ve indicated that if you’re in the process for an E.U.A, you can continue for an E.U.A.,” Mr. Erck said. “Anybody could tell you that could change, but I don’t know how to predict that.”

Dr. Paul Offit, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania and a member of the F.D.A.’s vaccine advisory panel, said that Novavax’s highly effective vaccine would be most welcome. “The more the merrier,” he said. “I think there’s room for many more vaccines, because we’re going to be dealing with this virus for years, if not decades.”

Novavax is preparing for that future by investigating how its vaccine could work as a booster. A new version of the vaccine contains the proteins from the Beta variant first identified in South Africa.

Researchers gave Beta boosters to baboons that had been vaccinated with the original version of the Novavax vaccine in experiments a year ago. The researchers found that the baboon’s immunity against Covid-19 shot up after this booster, protecting them against Beta, Alpha and the original version of the coronavirus.

“When you boost, you see a very high recall response,” said Matthew Frieman, a virologist at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and a co-author of the new study. The study has not yet been published in a scientific journal.

Dr. Frieman said the new study offered encouraging evidence that Novavax vaccines might work well as boosters. It also suggested that people getting vaccines for the first time might do well to get a blend of the original and Beta versions to widen their protection against new variants, he said.

“Novavax may be used as a booster in the U.S., but it’s certainly will be the first vaccine a lot of people are going to see around the world,” he said

Date: June 14, 2021 18:39

From the BBC:

Covid: Lockdown easing in England to be delayed by four weeks

Coronavirus

Most coronavirus rules will remain in place in England for another four weeks after the planned 21 June unlocking, government sources have told the BBC. Senior ministers have signed off on the decision to delay the lifting of all legal restrictions on social contact. That could mean capacity limits for sports, pubs and cinemas will remain, and nightclubs would stay closed. Prime Minister Boris Johnson is due to confirm the delay at a news conference later - at 18:00 BST.,The extension will be put to a Commons vote this month and could trigger a sizeable Conservative backbench rebellion.

England was due to move to stage four of the government's roadmap out of lockdown on 21 June, when venues and events would be allowed to operate without capacity limits and the cap on guests at weddings would be lifted. It would also have meant an end to current rules which limit gatherings at home to six people or two households. But many scientists have called for the reopening to be delayed to enable more people to be vaccinated and receive second doses, amid rising cases of the Delta variant, which was first identified in India. A delay would also allow more work to be done on whether vaccines are breaking, or simply weakening, the link between infections and hospitalisations. Health Minister Edward Argar told BBC Breakfast that he could not confirm the delay before the PM's announcement, but that there was a "concerning increase" in cases of the Delta variant and numbers in hospital were "beginning to creep up". Most severe cases were among unvaccinated people or those who had only one dose, he said, adding that at current rates nearly 10 million second doses could be administered over four weeks to increase protection. Mr Argar said the prime minister would address issues of economic support in any announcement and that the PM was "very sensitive" to the situation of couples who had already had to postpone their weddings.

All areas of Scotland are due to move to Level Zero Covid restrictions on 28 June - meaning bigger groups can gather in cafés, pubs and restaurants, although they will still have to observe social distancing. Limits on indoor gatherings in Northern Ireland are scheduled to be relaxed on 21 June and the current rules in Wales will be reviewed on 25 June. If the lifting of restrictions is pushed back, the UK Weddings Taskforce - an industry group - estimates that 50,000 weddings planned in the four weeks from 21 June could be cancelled, with the industry losing £325m for every week of delay. Currently the number of guests allowed at weddings is limited to 30. The Night Time Industries Association said businesses such as nightclubs had already spent millions preparing to reopen, and the association would legally challenge any delay to reopening. Will Power, owner of the Lab 11 nightclub in Birmingham, said a delay would be "catastrophic". "This will possibly hurt us more than the initial lockdown back in March last year," he said. Kate Nicholls from UKHospitality, which represents pubs, bars and restaurants, said businesses faced losing £3bn in sales if the relaxation of restrictions was delayed by a month. Singer Frank Turner, who has raised money for struggling small music venues, said the delay would "tip some businesses into final collapse", while theatre producer Sonia Friedman warned "many livelihoods are under existential threat".

Rising infections in the UK are being driven by the Delta variant which is believed to be around 60% more infectious than the previous dominant variant and twice as likely to result in hospital admissions.
On Sunday, the UK recorded 7,490 new cases of Covid-19 and eight deaths within 28 days of a positive test. The seven-day average for cases in the UK is up 49% compared with the seven days before.

--------------------------------------------

Analysis by Nick Triggle, Health Correspondent

If it wasn't for the Delta variant, the government would in all likelihood be announcing the go-ahead for a full unlock. But a more infectious variant against which one shot of the vaccine works less well has created a problem. That much can be seen from how quickly infection levels are rising. The trajectory we are on means we could see January levels of infection by the end of July. Exactly what that means for hospital admissions is less clear. It is already obvious that while the vaccines have weakened the link between cases and serious illness they have not broken it completely - admissions are rising after all. Early data suggests less than 5% of cases are ending up in hospital - half the rate seen previously. But that still has the potential to cause 2,000 admissions a day if we did reach January levels of infection - twice what the NHS would see for all respiratory illnesses in a bad winter. None of that is guaranteed, of course, and so a delay, government scientists are arguing, gives them more time to work out with confidence where we are heading - and it is even possible the immunity built up by the vaccines will have started to halt the growth by then.

The government has set out four tests that must be met for the next stage of easing restrictions to go ahead:

- The vaccine deployment programme continues successfully
- Evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently effective in reducing hospitalisations and deaths in those vaccinated
- Infection rates do not risk a surge in hospitalisations which would put unsustainable pressure on the NHS
- Its assessment of the risks is not fundamentally changed by new variants of concern

More than 41 million people in the UK have had a first dose of a coronavirus vaccine, while nearly 30 million have had two doses.

Date: June 14, 2021 19:38

StonedAsiaExile
bleedingman
daspyknows
bleedingman

Agree with you on all points except the one I highlighted. Personally, I do not trust the vax. Example: a friend of my wife, 32 years old, excellent health, runs marathons, took the first of two about two weeks ago. 2 hours later she was in the hospital near death. As of today she can still barely move, nearly paralyzed.

I ain't taking sh*t.

Sorry to hear about your wife's friend. Hopefully she has a full recovery. What I meant was that, since I *won't* be getting this crap, I won't have any side effects. "Trust the science" my a$$. People keep bringing up other vaccines, e.g. smallpox. The only difference is smallpox was most definitely NOT created in a lab, whereas the probability that Covid was is very possible. The anger and the pushback among the anointed gives me pause. You see, once it's in you, it's a done deal. Again, all the best to your wife's friend. She "trusted the science" and look where it got her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-14 19:39 by bleedingman.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 14, 2021 21:00

What I meant was that, since I *won't* be getting this crap, I won't have any side effects. "Trust the science" my a$$. People keep bringing up other vaccines, e.g. smallpox. The only difference is smallpox was most definitely NOT created in a lab, whereas the probability that Covid was is very possible. The anger and the pushback among the anointed gives me pause. You see, once it's in you, it's a done deal. Again, all the best to your wife's friend. She "trusted the science" and look where it got her.[/quote]

I hear ya, man.

I trust The Powers That Be about as far as I can throw Andre the Giant.

but...the vaccine does seem to work, doesn't it?

I mean, for all intents & purposes, the Pandemic is over in the US. So, it seems that unless it was never as bad as it was made out to be in the first place (and/or lots of people got asymptomatic Covid and we are getting to so-called herd immunity)....it seems that taking the Vax is working in our favor, doesn't it

For the record, I don't push the vax on anybody nor do I name-call or judge in any way....I oppose Vax Passports and Vax Mandates and I 100% support the right to free-choice on this matter....so, please don't take my Q the wrong way.

I'm just wondering if you think the vax works or not...

I think it does. Which would make sense if Covid is human-lab-made (which I think it is or it at least came from a lab)...must be easier to make a vax for a virus you made yourself, no?

Either way, if you don't wanna get the vax, I understand even if I don't agree...

I got the vax and I think it works, but if people don't want to, I'm fine w/ that too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-14 21:01 by stickyfingers101.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 14, 2021 22:24

I’ve got a ticket to the England v Scotland football game at Wembley this Friday 18th June.I didn’t realise when I bought it that the date clashes with my wedding that was postponed due to Covid-19.
If anyone is interested in taking my place please let me know.
It’s at Westminster registry office at 4pm her name is Kate and she’s a great cook.

Cheers spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nate

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 14, 2021 22:53

terraplane

According to VAERS(the primary government-funded system for reporting adverse vaccine reactions in the US), COVID vaccines are resulting in .0016% mortality rate (within 48 hours of receiving the vaccine). I think serious injuries about 4 to 5 times the mortality rate but I would need to check.

VAERS information, which is nothing more than a kind of wikipedia - it's not reliable - is sporadically wrong, or fake news, manipulated by ignorant people that never grew up, to help the Karens of the world push their anti-science fake drama.

Quoting VAERS for information is no different than saying the ridiculous percentage about not dying from COVID-19. Leaving out life debilitating issues and deaths from long term side effects of having had COVID-19 is just another fake argument, the "I have home owners insurance, I'll let the tree destroy my house" mentality.

I hear people insisting that China is controlling their weather and that the US is using HAARP to make hurricanes.

Anyone can make up chemical identifiers and say how someone replaced ABC spike proteins with 123 imitation spike proteins and therefor it was created in a lab. People will believe anything, especially if they saw it on FB or watched a video on YT.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 14, 2021 23:03

Nate
I’ve got a ticket to the England v Scotland football game at Wembley this Friday 18th June.I didn’t realise when I bought it that the date clashes with my wedding that was postponed due to Covid-19.
If anyone is interested in taking my place please let me know.
It’s at Westminster registry office at 4pm her name is Kate and she’s a great cook.

Cheers spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nate

hot smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 14, 2021 23:18

stickyfingers101
What I meant was that, since I *won't* be getting this crap, I won't have any side effects. "Trust the science" my a$$. People keep bringing up other vaccines, e.g. smallpox. The only difference is smallpox was most definitely NOT created in a lab, whereas the probability that Covid was is very possible. The anger and the pushback among the anointed gives me pause. You see, once it's in you, it's a done deal. Again, all the best to your wife's friend. She "trusted the science" and look where it got her.

I hear ya, man.

I trust The Powers That Be about as far as I can throw Andre the Giant.

but...the vaccine does seem to work, doesn't it?

I mean, for all intents & purposes, the Pandemic is over in the US. So, it seems that unless it was never as bad as it was made out to be in the first place (and/or lots of people got asymptomatic Covid and we are getting to so-called herd immunity)....it seems that taking the Vax is working in our favor, doesn't it

For the record, I don't push the vax on anybody nor do I name-call or judge in any way....I oppose Vax Passports and Vax Mandates and I 100% support the right to free-choice on this matter....so, please don't take my Q the wrong way.

I'm just wondering if you think the vax works or not...

I think it does. Which would make sense if Covid is human-lab-made (which I think it is or it at least came from a lab)...must be easier to make a vax for a virus you made yourself, no?

Either way, if you don't wanna get the vax, I understand even if I don't agree...

I got the vax and I think it works, but if people don't want to, I'm fine w/ that too.[/quote]

Even if the virus was created in a lab, to your point the vaccines are working and with relatively low instances of side effects.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 15, 2021 01:27

Could prolly throw Andre the Giant pretty far these days.
Whatta we talkin... five pounds of dust? cool smiley

I judge the sht out of people who refuse the FDA approved vaccines tbh.
I don't engage or argue with them irl (here I will occasionally), as there's no point.

I mostly just pity them. I mean to go through life being that uneducated or paranoid, or willfully ignorant at this stage of the vax roll out and the pandemic is legit pathetic.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 15, 2021 01:59

StonedAsiaExile

I ain't taking sh*t.

Yup, even if your story is accurate, this wouldn't be new info or data.

Most likely scenario, she was already sick/infected when she got her first shot.
There are other scenarios, but it being caused from the jab is waaaay down the likeliness scale. Hope she recovers and instead of using the "story" to reinforce the anti-vax stance, it is a strong argument to vax up sooner. Lots of people still dying from this, it's in all the papers.

Date: June 15, 2021 02:48

MisterDDDD
StonedAsiaExile

I ain't taking sh*t.

Most likely scenario, she was already sick/infected when she got her first shot.
There are other scenarios, but it being caused from the jab is waaaay down the likeliness scale. Hope she recovers and instead of using the "story" to reinforce the anti-vax stance, it is a strong argument to vax up sooner. Lots of people still dying from this, it's in all the papers.

If this story was true the CDC would be all over it. On the other hand all these stories are coming from the anti vaxxer spoons on forehead crowd. I know personally of one person who got pretty sick but he also was on a ventilator from Covid and has had long haul Covid. That correlates with what MisterDDDD says. His side effects while severe were still minimal compared to his actual Covid infection.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: June 15, 2021 03:31

daspyknows
MisterDDDD
StonedAsiaExile

I ain't taking sh*t.

If this story was true the CDC would be all over it. On the other hand all these stories are coming from the anti vaxxer spoons on forehead crowd. I know personally of one person who got pretty sick but he also was on a ventilator from Covid and has had long haul Covid. That correlates with what MisterDDDD says. His side effects while severe were still minimal compared to his actual Covid infection.

CDC has nothing to do with it. She's in Vietnam. And no, she has/had no underlying conditions, etc. You can't blame it all on 'being sick' blah blah blah.

I'm not an antivaxer or whatever; it's a personal choice. If and when it's proven to be safe, give me a call.

Date: June 15, 2021 04:53

StonedAsiaExile
daspyknows
MisterDDDD
StonedAsiaExile

I ain't taking sh*t.

CDC has nothing to do with it. She's in Vietnam. And no, she has/had no underlying conditions, etc. You can't blame it all on 'being sick' blah blah blah.

I'm not an antivaxer or whatever; it's a personal choice. If and when it's proven to be safe, give me a call.

Which vaccine? Sputnik, Chinavax? They are all different. Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have been proven to be 99.99% safe. Covid-19 virus has not. Are you a medical expert to determine she had no underlying conditions or Covid? blah blah blah. Not credible.

Date: June 15, 2021 05:30

Coronavirus outpacing vaccine effort, says WHO, after G7 doses pledge

Coronavirus

The World Health Organization has warned that Covid-19 is moving faster than the vaccines, and said the vow by G7 countries to share a billion doses with poorer nations was simply not enough. “This is a big help, but we need more, and we need them faster. Right now, the virus is moving faster than the global distribution of vaccines,” World Health Organization (WHO) chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told journalists. “More than 10,000 people are dying every day ... these communities need vaccines, and they need them now, not next year.” Global health leaders also warned the pledge was too little, too late, with more than 11bn shots needed. Faced with outrage over disparities in jab access, the Group of Seven industrialised powers pledged during a weekend summit in Britain to take their total dose donations to more than a billion, up from 130m promised in February. While people in many wealthy nations have some sense of normalcy thanks to their vaccination rates, the shots remain scarce in poorer parts of the world. In terms of doses administered, the imbalance between the G7 and low-income countries, as defined by the World Bank, is 73 to one. Many of the donated G7 doses will be filtered through Covax, a global body charged with ensuring equitable vaccine distribution.

Run by the WHO, the Gavi vaccine alliance and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), it has so far shipped more than 87m vaccine doses to 131 countries – far fewer than anticipated. The WHO wants at least 70% of the world’s population vaccinated by the next G7 meeting in Germany next year. “To do that, we need 11bn doses. The G7 and G20 can make this happen,” said Tedros. Medical charity Doctors Without Borders questioned how sincere the G7 was in pursuing vaccine equity. “We need to see more clarity around the actual number of doses donated, and exactly how long it’s going to take to translate their pledges into real impact and access,” Hu Yuanqiong at the charity said. As well as dose sharing, the G7 pandemic battle plan includes commitments to avert future pandemics – slashing the time taken to develop and license vaccines to under 100 days, reinforcing global surveillance and strengthening the WHO. But observers voiced scepticism of their willingness to follow through on the last point especially. “I will believe [that] point when the contributions to WHO are increased,” tweeted Ilona Kickbusch, founding director and chair of the Global Health Centre in Geneva. Others stressed the need to quickly resolve the issue of Covid vaccine patent protections, to boost production.

Fully-fledged negotiations towards a possible suspension of intellectual property protections for Covid vaccines, as well as other medical tools needed to battle the pandemic, have just begun at the World Trade Organization after months of contentious debate. G7 leaders “say they want to vaccinate the world by the end of next year, but their actions show they care more about protecting the monopolies and patents of pharmaceutical giants,” said Max Lawson, Oxfam’s head of inequity policy. Human Rights Watch agreed. “Focusing on vaccines and making charitable donations are not enough,” Aruna Kashyap, its senior counsel for business and human rights. “The G7’s failure to unequivocally support a temporary waiver of global intellectual property rules is deadly status quo.”WHO and its partners also highlighted the desperate need for funds to overcome the pandemic. More than $16bn is still needed this year to fully fund efforts to speed up production and access to Covid-19 diagnostics, treatments and vaccines. That figure represents less that one percent of annual global defence expenditure, the WHO’s emergencies director Michael Ryan said, adding: “Surely we can afford one percent of that to save lives and bring this pandemic to an end.”

Date: June 15, 2021 06:02

GasLightStreet
terraplane

VAERS information, which is nothing more than a kind of wikipedia - it's not reliable - is sporadically wrong, or fake news, manipulated by ignorant people that never grew up, to help the Karens of the world push their anti-science fake drama.

Quoting VAERS for information is no different than saying the ridiculous percentage about not dying from COVID-19. Leaving out life debilitating issues and deaths from long term side effects of having had COVID-19 is just another fake argument, the "I have home owners insurance, I'll let the tree destroy my house" mentality.

I hear people insisting that China is controlling their weather and that the US is using HAARP to make hurricanes.

Anyone can make up chemical identifiers and say how someone replaced ABC spike proteins with 123 imitation spike proteins and therefor it was created in a lab. People will believe anything, especially if they saw it on FB or watched a video on YT.

So can you say what you believe the numbers to be with a source?

Date: June 15, 2021 07:49

bleedingman
StonedAsiaExile
bleedingman
daspyknows
bleedingman

I ain't taking sh*t.

Sorry to hear about your wife's friend. Hopefully she has a full recovery. What I meant was that, since I *won't* be getting this crap, I won't have any side effects. "Trust the science" my a$$. People keep bringing up other vaccines, e.g. smallpox. The only difference is smallpox was most definitely NOT created in a lab, whereas the probability that Covid was is very possible. The anger and the pushback among the anointed gives me pause. You see, once it's in you, it's a done deal. Again, all the best to your wife's friend. She "trusted the science" and look where it got her.

So. You're a chemtrail inhaling cherry picking alternative facts HAARP weather changing fake news believing conspiracy sucking make America great again kind of person.

You remind me of my father: a pissed off Republicant that is completely useless to society.

Date: June 15, 2021 07:51

terraplane
GasLightStreet
terraplane

So can you say what you believe the numbers to be with a source?

You're in the dark. Obviously.

Date: June 15, 2021 08:59

Shine a light

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...257258259260261262263264265266267...LastNext
Current Page: 262 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10