Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...255256257258259260261262263264265...LastNext
Current Page: 260 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 11, 2021 03:44

^ I found it interesting especially after last year. There is debate whether unvaxxed players who end up on Covid lists should be paid. The NFLPA says yes but this needs to be negotiated since a player on the Covid list can't play and must be replaced.

I think the unvaccinated who end up on the Covid list do deserve a salary haircut at least.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 11, 2021 04:01

Imagine some of the young fans of unvaccinated QB Sam Darnold ...the young fans who look up to him, idolize him, and aspire to be just like him...
I can hear some of those kids now..."If Sam Darnold ain't getting vaccinated, I ain't getting vaccinated either"!! Lol...not really funny because it's probably true.
If it were up to me, I'd have my childhood NFL heroes Dick Butkus and Deacon Jones in their prime beat the crap out of this Darnold dude until he sees the light....haha...thumbs up > Dick Butkus
-------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-11 04:30 by Hairball.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 11, 2021 04:35

So, where are the parents? Are they now letting remote "sports heroes" (I say derisively) raise their kids?

And yeah beat the crap out of him. So sportsmanlike. Really brings out the best in the country, don't it?

Hold on, I know you were kidding. Probably.

jb

Date: June 11, 2021 04:39

All tongue-in-cheek - even the imaginary young fans I invented....

Date: June 11, 2021 05:00

On a more serious note, this story is back in the headlines:

CDC plans "emergency meeting" on rare heart inflammation following COVID-19 vaccines

Vaccine

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Thursday that it will convene an "emergency meeting" of its advisers on June 18th to discuss rare but higher-than-expected reports of heart inflammation following doses of the mRNA-based Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines. So far, the CDC has identified 226 reports that might meet the agency's "working case definition" of myocarditis and pericarditis following the shots, the agency disclosed Thursday. The vast majority have recovered, but 41 had ongoing symptoms, 15 are still hospitalized, and 3 are in the intensive care unit. The reports represent just a tiny fraction of the nearly 130 million Americans who have been fully vaccinated with either Pfizer or Moderna's doses. "It's a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison because, again, these are preliminary reports. Not all these will turn out to be true myocarditis or pericarditis reports," cautioned Dr. Tom Shimabukuro, a CDC vaccine safety official. Shimabukuro said their findings were mostly "consistent" with reports of rare cases of heart inflammation that had been studied in Israel and reported from the U.S. Department of Defense earlier this year.The CDC is working on more data and analysis on the reports ahead of the emergency meeting of its own advisers next week, he said, and also planned to analyze the risk of heart inflammation posed by catching COVID-19.

The new details about myocarditis and pericarditis emerged first in presentations to a panel of independent advisers for the Food and Drug Administration, who are meeting Thursday to discuss how the regulator should approach emergency use authorization for using COVID-19 vaccines in younger children. After earning an emergency use authorization for its COVID-19 vaccine in Americans as young as 12 last month, Pfizer announced this week it had decided on doses to use in a clinical trial in children as young as 6 months old and hoped to submit data by October. Moderna said Thursday that it too had requested the FDA's permission to give its mRNA vaccine to adolescents. While Pfizer has said they expect to wrap up trials for children as young as 2 by September, FDA officials have previously cautioned that authorizing vaccines for these age groups could take longer — "mid to late fall" at the earliest — citing the additional follow-up data needed for children after they receive the shots. "We recognize that some adverse reactions, for example myocarditis or pericarditis as discussed earlier today, may be too infrequent to detect in a safety database of typical size for pre-licensure clinical trials," said Dr. Doran Fink, a top official in the FDA's vaccine office.

The CDC previously disclosed that reports of heart inflammation were detected mostly in younger men and teenage boys following their second dose, and that there was a "higher number of observed than expected" cases in 16- to 24-year-olds. Last month, the CDC urged providers to "ask about prior COVID-19 vaccination" in patients with symptoms of heart inflammation. "Risk-benefit considerations to determine whether to issue an emergency use authorization for use of a COVID-19 vaccine into healthy pediatric individuals will need to account for this information, and risk-benefit consideration will likely be different, not only compared to those for adults, but also they may be different for younger versus older pediatric groups," Dr. Marion Gruber, director of the FDA's vaccine office, said at the meeting.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 11, 2021 05:27

terraplane
treaclefingers
terraplane
It is interesting that they have never promoted zinc, vitamin D to reduce effects of CovID if you catch it

Is there any evidence that these reduce the effects of COVID-19?

I know Vitamin D levels are important to generally stave off disease but I thought that was important before you got sick, not after you were already sick.

And is the jury in on zinc? I've heard mixed reports on it with regards to cold/flu...not sure how that would translate to covid.

I meant before not sure sure how much it helps after the fact.

This article has some info on Zinc:

Zinc & Hydroxychloroquine

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 11, 2021 05:30

Hairball
Imagine some of the young fans of unvaccinated QB Sam Darnold ...the young fans who look up to him, idolize him, and aspire to be just like him...
I can hear some of those kids now..."If Sam Darnold ain't getting vaccinated, I ain't getting vaccinated either"!! Lol...not really funny because it's probably true.
If it were up to me, I'd have my childhood NFL heroes Dick Butkus and Deacon Jones in their prime beat the crap out of this Darnold dude until he sees the light....haha...thumbs up > Dick Butkus

After his stint with the Jets I doubt Sam Darnold has many fans. Josh Allen on the other hand has been an anti-vaxxer from day 1 and is idolized in upstate NY.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 11, 2021 08:36

I wish we could segregate the anti-vaxxers. If they don't want it, fine. But don't mingle with us who are trying to end the pandemic.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 11, 2021 09:05

jbwelda
Another thing I never got: the early speculation and stating-as-fact that children will not get Covid. Just seems so counter to common sense and what we observe in the world around us. Yet, that seemed to be the perception of most, that the young would somehow be immune from it. But now...

Sometimes you don't need to be a scientist or doctor to recognize the reality
staring back right in front of your face.

jb

It's amazing that statements like children will not get Covid come from the scientific world. Anyone with common sense knows that it's a rubbish statement. Kids not getting ill easily is true in general, but they infect the (grand)parents and others just as easy as adults do among eachother. Virusses are are virusses and will always behave like virusses. Getting a flu from your kids is a well accepted fact, but for some silly reason the covid virus would not behave like a virus ??? Nearby (healthy) friends from our son (very early 40ers) got very (!) ill for three weeks with Covid thanks to their two primary school kids, who were both positive, but not ill. They picked the virus ... at school. Both parents (meanwhile almost two months are gone) still suffer the side effects of their Covid illness.
Keeping a close eye on the UK (that did so well lately) in relation to "delta" will "keep me busy" for now grinning smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 11, 2021 11:05

24FPS
I wish we could segregate the anti-vaxxers. If they don't want it, fine. But don't mingle with us who are trying to end the pandemic.

As I'm fully vaccinated, I'm quite happy to mingle with anyone. However, if in time, it proves we're lagging behind with openings due to those who haven't taken it, then I think a negative test-result set-up will be necessary. If those who haven't had it are willing to be tested each time, then I see no issue.

Date: June 11, 2021 12:29

i don't see any issue at all. People who want the be vaccinated are safe. People who don't are not. It's their own choice.

I am getting my shots. But for example I dont think i will give it to my 3 year old daughter. Since the virus is just not dangerous to her, and every other person has the choice to protect themself.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 11, 2021 13:03

24FPS

Your desire can be achieved if you stay in your house for the remainder of your life or you could choose to wear a hazmat suit every time you step outdoors otherwise forget it because it ain’t happening.

Nate

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 11, 2021 13:14

daspyknows
Hairball
TheGreek
Hairball
TheGreek
Hairball
From Fauci via CNN:

Fauci: US "cannot declare victory prematurely" against Covid-19 as variants are still a threat

Corona-Fauci

While the US has “done very well” with vaccinating its population, Dr. Anthony Fauci said, “we cannot declare victory prematurely because there are still a substantial proportion of people who have not been vaccinated.”
Fauci, director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the chief medical adviser to President Biden, encouraged unvaccinated Americans to get their shot to prevent the spread of the Covid-19 Delta variant first identified in India. “We don't want to let happen in the United States what is happening currently in the UK, where you have a troublesome variant essentially taking over as the dominant variant, which has made it a very difficult situation in the UK. We don't want to be there,” he said. "About 6% of the isolates in the United States are this troublesome variant. You don't want to give it the opportunity to take over as the dominant variant, and we have within our power to do that by getting people vaccinated, because we have very, very good vaccines,” Fauci said. Fauci also said that the US Food & Drug Administration is “very, very carefully” looking into extending shelf life or re-allocating Johnson & Johnson vaccines that are set to expire. Of the 21.4 million Johnson & Johnson doses delivered in the US, about 11 million have been administered, according to data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The vaccine can be stored for up to three months at refrigerator temperatures.
Exactly , as I could not have said it any better myself . Everyone is running around like they won the Super Bowl or something and everyone is dropping there guard and it's not over and the fat lady is not in the bld, or in the city or state or country for that matter . Such a rush .

Yeah Greek...it's a bit out of control...

And as Bjornulf stated "Wear your masks, take the vaccine, keep a distance, this pandemic is not over..."
Such simple directions/guidance to protect oneself and people get all bent out of shape that there rights are being violated right ? Guess who or what doesn't care nor give a damn about ones rights ? The good ole merry Grim Reaper who does not discriminate . Talk about being "inclusive" In my neck of the woods we had on the local news yesterday outside of the state capital a press briefing from one of the 2 major parties campaigning for the mask mandate to be lifted for kids in school . One mother with her 9 year old son said it's her right to decide whether her kid(s) wear a mask or get vaccinated . This lady was screaming that her kid has difficulty breathing which I understand has to be a tremendous hardship for the youngster , but is the alternative better ? To risk exposing your youngster to COVID-19 or compromising his immune system and cardiac and respiratory system ? Another Lady on NBC News said she doesn't trust the vaccine and nor does she need it . Are people this dumb ? 600,000 dead in the United States so far since March 2020 . Yes this is a disruption and an major inconvenience to our life and liberty , but this is a once in a hundred years and once in our lifetime pandemic and all people care about is going to the bars to knock them back and all of there pastimes and hobbies and recreational activities and travel , which getting on a plane is really appealing at this moment with all of the deranged people losing it and flipping out on flights all because they have to wear a mask . I could care less about the loss of so called activities as I still have my health and happiness .

Yes Greek, it's a mess and people will continue to celebrate and "declare victory prematurely" when we're still in the thick of it, especially as far as the entire world is concerned.
And there are others who will bemoan the inconvenience of restrictions and precautions, along with those who refuse to get vaccinated, etc., etc., etc. - it's a mess, but what can you do?.
My wife and I were happily vaccinated and had our own little celebration, but we continue to follow the rules and regulations while going about our merry way and hoping for the best.

Same here. In all likelihood there is going to be another wave that hits. Even in California there is a correlation between counties that have higher infection rates and lower rates of vaccination. Those tend to be the rural counties in the state so overall California is relatively safe. At this point anyone who is unvaccinated adult will have only themselves to blame if they catch it and it disrupts their life or kills them. Hopefully the vaccine is approved for kids soon so the children of the vaccinated can be safe too.
I have had this thought as the major larger vaxx sites close due to little demand in my neck of the woods , what will happen later when people wake up ( if they do ) and want to get vaccinated after the train/bus has left the station ? They are already talking about a wave coming to the US in the fall .

Date: June 11, 2021 13:19

thumbs up
Hairball

thumbs upRe: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Date: June 11, 2021 13:21

24FPS

Re: thumbs upRe: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Date: June 11, 2021 13:55

24FPS

People that got their vaccines still can transmit the virus. So in a way people that are not vaccinated become more vulnerable. Anti-vaxxers are not the problem anymore once the majority of the population got their jab.It's the people that want to travel and travel all over the globe and bring new variations to which we have no answer that are the real problem. Too many people in this world, something that no one wants to talk about.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 11, 2021 13:58

TheflyingDutchman
24FPS

People that got their vaccines still can transmit the virus. So in a way people that are not vaccinated become more vulnerable. Anti-vaxxers are not the problem anymore once the majority of the population got their jab.It's the people that want to travel and travel all over the globe and bring new variations to which we have no answer.

Not true. The current belief is that those who are double vaccinated cannot pass the virus.

Date: June 11, 2021 13:59

steffialicia
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS

People that got their vaccines still can transmit the virus. So in a way people that are not vaccinated become more vulnerable. Anti-vaxxers are not the problem anymore once the majority of the population got their jab.It's the people that want to travel and travel all over the globe and bring new variations to which we have no answer. Too many people in this world, something that no one wants to talk about.

Not true. The current belief is that those who are double vaccinated cannot pass the virus.

Do your homework. Believes are useless in this case. It's scientific prove that counts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-11 14:00 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: June 11, 2021 14:05

TheflyingDutchman
steffialicia
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS

People that got their vaccines still can transmit the virus. So in a way people that are not vaccinated become more vulnerable. Anti-vaxxers are not the problem anymore once the majority of the population got their jab.It's the people that want to travel and travel all over the globe and bring new variations to which we have no answer.

Do your homework. Believes are useless in this case. It's scientific prove that counts.

By belief, I mean by what the current research indicates. So now the vaccinated are the problem. Unbelievable.

Date: June 11, 2021 14:30

steffialicia
TheflyingDutchman
steffialicia
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS

By belief, I mean by what the current research indicates. So now the vaccinated are the problem. Unbelievable.

No,I didn't say that. I got my vaccine as well. Recent research from the university of Maastricht (Holland) has pointed out that people with the vaccine still can transmit the virus and make other people sick. And a good chance that there are variations coming up to which we have no answer. So even if most of the people are vaccinated, we still have to wear masks and keep 1,5 M distance for the upcoming years. The basic problem is overpopulation, viruses jumping over from animals to humans and humans to humans.

[www.mumc.nl]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-11 14:38 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 11, 2021 14:40

One and a half year into the pandemic. Still there are as many virus experts as there are people on the planet. Some are hanging on to some crazy theories a la the earth is flat, vaccine does not work, the virus is not dangerous, and so on.

There is plenty of research, science and facts around. Keep in mind the India a.k.a. the Delta virus is a completely game changer, same with the UK a.k.a. Alpha virus. While children were almost immune to the virus one year ago, the new Alpha and Delta variants move around fast through children and especially young persons age 10-19. These children have parents. Some of these parents are vaccine deniers. So here we go.

The first vaccine shot protect may be 30% from passing on the Delta variant, but one week after the second vaccine shot, you are 90% protected. This is why masks are still needed. One thing we know for sure, is that the corona virus will mutate again and again, and in 3-6 months time, the vaccine will be less efficient.

Getting covid-19 one year ago does not protect you from getting the new variants. Getting a vaccine one year ago does not protect you 100%. You will not die, you will not have to go to hospital, in fact, with both vaccine doses, you are protected a lot from serious illness, but some may pass the virus on, then, like a fire into the bush, it may get bad, as long as many people do not understand the important of the vaccine.

Even if there are many people who do not want the vaccine, for political, religious, or plain stubborn reasons, I think there are enough people in the western world being positive, the pandemic will be slowed down during the next months, we will be able to attend crowds and shows, but many will still get sick and die. It is a mad world.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-11 14:42 by bv.

Date: June 11, 2021 14:58

TheflyingDutchman
24FPS

People that got their vaccines still can transmit the virus. So in a way people that are not vaccinated become more vulnerable. Anti-vaxxers are not the problem anymore once the majority of the population got their jab.It's the people that want to travel and travel all over the globe and bring new variations to which we have no answer that are the real problem. Too many people in this world, something that no one wants to talk about.

I travel a lot it’s one of my main passions in life.
You believe that people like me should stop travelling in order to give someone on their last legs another year of playing cards and looking at four walls in a care home.

Never spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

In three weeks time I will be double vaccinated two weeks after that I’m getting on a plane and will be doing so multiple times this year and I won’t be tolerating or complying with the ridiculous rules the U.K. government are trying to enforce on people who have been double vaccinated and want to travel.

Nate

Date: June 11, 2021 15:06

Nate
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS

I travel a lot it’s one of my main passions in life.
You believe that people like me should stop travelling in order to give someone on their last legs another year of playing cards and looking at four walls in a care home.

Never spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

In three weeks time I will be double vaccinated two weeks after that I’m getting on a plane and will be doing so multiple times this year and I won’t be tolerating or complying with the ridiculous rules the U.K. government are trying to enforce on people who have been double vaccinated and want to travel.

Nate

People should judge for themselves. I'm just projecting a more holistic view onto the problem.

Date: June 11, 2021 15:30

A brief covid related story. I wanted to resume my volunteer work for Meals on Wheels, which is a service that brings meals to the elderly and infirm. I was told that I absolutely must be double vaccinated and wear a mask and gloves during my deliveries. I felt this would be a safe way for me to begin to return to some sense of normality. Not one of the people I dropped meals off to wore a mask. It was very disheartening.

Date: June 11, 2021 15:39

steffialicia
A brief covid related story. I wanted to resume my volunteer work for Meals on Wheels, which is a service that brings meals to the elderly and infirm. I was told that I absolutely must be double vaccinated and wear a mask and gloves during my deliveries. I felt this would be a safe way for me to begin to return to some sense of normality. Not one of the people I dropped meals off to wore a mask. It was very disheartening.

Why would they wear a mask when very likely they have been double vaccinated.Might as well wear a bulletproof vest when someone’s pointing a water pistol at you.

Nate

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 11, 2021 15:43

Nate
steffialicia

Why would they wear a mask when very likely they have been double vaccinated.Might as well wear a bulletproof vest when someone’s pointing a water pistol at you.

Nate

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 11, 2021 16:08

Nate
steffialicia

Nate

"very likely" being the operative words.
People refusing to get the jabs number at least 30%.
Essential workers deserve all the peace of mind and protection we can afford them.

We all have no way of knowing who's "fully" vaxxed or not.
Out of respect for people who may not for whatever reason have had a chance to get both shots, and wait the two weeks to be fully vaxxed, wearing one is just common sense, courtesy, and respect. People being selfish and not taking the common sense measures in place to stop the spread is how we got here.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 11, 2021 16:40

[www.nbcnews.com]

like it or not, this will drive further vaccine-hesitancy...

regardless, in the end, "vaccine hesitancy" is irrational if one looks at the odds....

However, "odds" mean little to people when they let their emotions run away w/ them....

I know lots of people don't go in the ocean b/c of a "fear of shark attacks".....or don't let their kids go in...or won't let them surf....etc. etc....which is a totally irrational fear when one looks at the odds....

simply put, lots of people don't listen to "odds"...humans are NOT "rational" creatures at lot of the time....we just like to think we are....it's why casinos are packed every night and people play the lottery day-in, day-out...

and it's why there will always be a Vax-Hesitant population...

but, that being said...if people don't want to get the Vax, don't...I'm cool w/ you either way....couldn't care less.

just don't cry "woe is me" if you get Covid...and don't ask to share my doober b/c I'm not doing that anymore w/ strangers....Vaxxed or not.

...I promise won't cry "woe is me" if I get my leg bit off by a shark while surfing...

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 11, 2021 17:17

daspyknows
^ I found it interesting especially after last year. There is debate whether unvaxxed players who end up on Covid lists should be paid. The NFLPA says yes but this needs to be negotiated since a player on the Covid list can't play and must be replaced.

I think the unvaccinated who end up on the Covid list do deserve a salary haircut at least.

Just so I am clear (b/c you used the word "haircut"): You think the unvaccinated who get Covid and can't play....should get a pay-cut?

I don't know for certain, but I would imagine the NFLPA has negotiated a blanket "sick day" policy for the players....

people are allowed to take days off of work when they are sick, dude....they also probably have "personal days" too.....most jobs in modern democracies have such policies....which is the HUMANE policy.

"if you get sick and can't work, you take a pay cut" sounds more like a Nike Sweatshop in Communist China.....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 11, 2021 17:37

stickyfingers101
daspyknows

Just so I am clear (b/c you used the word "haircut"): You think the unvaccinated who get Covid and can't play....should get a pay-cut?

I don't know for certain, but I would imagine the NFLPA has negotiated a blanket "sick day" policy for the players....

people are allowed to take days off of work when they are sick, dude....they also probably have "personal days" too.....most jobs in modern democracies have such policies....which is the HUMANE policy.

"if you get sick and can't work, you take a pay cut" sounds more like a Nike Sweatshop in Communist China.....

Except for the fact, that they are knowingly disregarding the health authorities and 'taking the risk'.

I think that is the point. You take the risk, you need to accept the outcome.

That doesn't take into account the stupidity factor, which in a society allows for the fact that some people will do things that are detrimental to their health (ie smoking, drinking and driving, hiking outside the boundary into avalanche territory), and are still covered by health insurance.

I'm not sure this practice should extend to the continuation of paying the high salary. That doesn't seem right...you make your employer inherit the risk you knowingly took.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...255256257258259260261262263264265...LastNext
Current Page: 260 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home