Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...253254255256257258259260261262263...LastNext
Current Page: 258 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 7, 2021 20:52

I'm not sure where this falls on the bias scale but pretty interesting article all the same:

Vanity Fair Article in the Origins of Covid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-07 20:53 by kovach.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 7, 2021 20:58

kovach
I'm not sure where this falls on the bias scale but pretty interesting article all the same:

I posted a link to that article the other day and it was deleted. It definitely spreads the blame around evenly. Our leaders and the media failed us, all because of politics. Very informative and recommended.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 7, 2021 21:04

Hairball
stickyfingers101
we've got Fake Vax Cards....

....I guess that's better than Fake Vaccines....

[www.wsj.com]

Humanity. The Worst.

"Proof of vaccine" at concerts and other places where it's required is pretty much a meaningless waste of time when anyone can get a phony Vax card.
Seems to be a growing problem, but glad they're attempting to crack down on them.
Will the card work ? Or will you have to show proof on your phone ? Consider the absurdity of this for a moment ? One has to prove and verify in order to fork over your $ . Pass and the board goes back to square .

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 7, 2021 21:12

bleedingman
kovach

I posted a link to that article the other day and it was deleted. It definitely spreads the blame around evenly. Our leaders and the media failed us, all because of politics. Very informative and recommended.

You mistakenly posted that in the "What are you listening to thread", and it's still there.
Good article by the way, and for what it's worth Vanity Fair leans to the left. [www.allsides.com]

Date: June 7, 2021 21:14

Hairball
bleedingman
kovach

You mistakenly posted that in the "What are you listening to thread", and it's still there.
Good article by the way, and for what it's worth Vanity Fair leans to the left. [www.allsides.com]

My bad, Hairball. Thanks and apologies for the misunderstanding.

Date: June 7, 2021 21:15

"Antibody test won’t reveal if you gained immunity from your COVID vaccine, experts say"

[www.idahostatesman.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 8, 2021 03:15

I Love My State.

Get vaccinated at a Washington pot shop and get a freebie to take home

Get a COVID shot and a free joint, too. It really is that simple.

The Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board is offering pot shops the opportunity to host COVID-19 vaccination clinics at their stores and give a free joint to customers who get vaccinated, according to a news release from the agency.

The state last week announced incentives, including a chance at $1 million, for residents to get vaccinated, The Olympian reported. Anyone who has been or gets vaccinated in Washington state will be entered into a drawing for a chance to win one of the many prizes

Only those who receive a shot at an on-site clinic will be able to get a free pre-roll, Brian Smith, a spokesperson for the LCB, told McClatchy News. The offer is only for people 21 and older.
Those who have already been vaccinated are not eligible for the promotion.

Three dispensaries in Washington requested that the state start a program that would give their customers incentive to get vaccinated by offering free weed, Smith said.

It’s unknown how many businesses will choose to participate in the program, but at least The Herbery (Vancouver), Uncle Ike’s (Seattle) and Apex (Spokane) — the firms that contacted the LCB with the proposal — are likely to take part, according to Smith.
[www.bellinghamherald.com]

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 8, 2021 03:18

MisterDDDD
I Love My State.

Get vaccinated at a Washington pot shop and get a freebie to take home

Get a COVID shot and a free joint, too. It really is that simple.

The Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board is offering pot shops the opportunity to host COVID-19 vaccination clinics at their stores and give a free joint to customers who get vaccinated, according to a news release from the agency.

The state last week announced incentives, including a chance at $1 million, for residents to get vaccinated, The Olympian reported. Anyone who has been or gets vaccinated in Washington state will be entered into a drawing for a chance to win one of the many prizes

Only those who receive a shot at an on-site clinic will be able to get a free pre-roll, Brian Smith, a spokesperson for the LCB, told McClatchy News. The offer is only for people 21 and older.
Those who have already been vaccinated are not eligible for the promotion.

Three dispensaries in Washington requested that the state start a program that would give their customers incentive to get vaccinated by offering free weed, Smith said.

It’s unknown how many businesses will choose to participate in the program, but at least The Herbery (Vancouver), Uncle Ike’s (Seattle) and Apex (Spokane) — the firms that contacted the LCB with the proposal — are likely to take part, according to Smith.

OK...so, now is when I start grumping about "what about ME?!" b/c I already got my vax and didn't get squat.....

I mean...free donuts...who cares?....but free WEED???

WHAT ABOUT ME?!?!?!?!

haha!

what a country.

Date: June 8, 2021 04:50

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right
Here I am, stuck in the middle...

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: June 8, 2021 05:41

Yes, it is an easy cop out. Whenever someone has a dissenting opinion they get branded a conspiracy theorist, a this, a that...

Date: June 8, 2021 06:35

Could a third wave of Covid be more serious than UK’s first two?

Coronavirus

Analysis: Concern over Delta variant means decision on ending restrictions on 21 June hangs in balance

Summer has nearly arrived and the UK is beginning to unlock from coronavirus restrictions, with a full lifting still on the cards in England on 21 June. Yet the spectre of the Delta variant is casting an ominous shadow, with concerns it could fuel a third wave. So just how serious could the next peak be – and could it be more serious than Britain’s first two waves? In May members of the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Modelling (Spi-M) from the University of Warwick released results from models that suggested a variant 40% more transmissible than the Alpha variant – first detected in Kent and known as B.1.1.7 – could result in up to 6,000 hospital admissions a day. This rises to 10,000 admissions a day if the variant is 50% more transmissible – assuming full relaxation went ahead. Both of those peaks would far exceed those in previous waves, which peaked at more than 4,000 people admitted to hospital in a single day and left the NHS at risk of being overwhelmed.

The Spi-M projections matter because the Delta variant, first discovered in India and also known as B.1.617.2, is believed to be more transmissible than the Alpha variant – though by how much remains unclear. On Sunday Matt Hancock said it was about 40% more transmissible, while just two days earlier Prof Neil Ferguson – a member of Spi-M – said the best estimate was 60%, though he added the possible range spanned 30-100%. But this is not the only concern. Work from Public Health England (PHE) suggests that after a single dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech or Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid vaccines, there was a 17 percentage point reduction in effectiveness against the Delta variant compared with the Alpha one – though only a modest reduction after two doses. Experts have suggested this, as well as demographic considerations, may be among the factors contributing to the transmissibility of the variant – although experiments suggest the variant is also likely to have an inherent advantage.

Further analysis by PHE has also suggested infection with the Delta variant is associated with a more than twofold higher risk of hospitalisation than the Alpha variant, although they caution more research is needed to confirm this and explore the link to vaccination. While experts have stressed increases in transmissibility are more concerning than increases in disease severity, this data suggests the outlook could be more worrying than earlier models suggested. “If you do have a variant that is more transmissible and has a higher severity then that is more of a concern, but I think there is still some uncertainty around exactly how much more transmissible the Delta variant is and whether there is higher severity – and if so how much,” said Dr Michael Tildesley of the University of Warwick and a member of Spi-M.

Those uncertainties make it hard to put exact figures on just how bad a third wave could be. “While the evidence that the Delta variant is both more transmissible and more likely to cause hospitalisation, we are still unsure as to its impact on ICU [intensive care unit] burdens and mortality,” said Prof Rowland Kao of the University of Edinburgh, who is also a Spi-M member. “Should our existing vaccines remain highly protective even against the Delta variant, then this should alleviate at least some of the impact of any third wave of infections,” he said, adding another question is whether the impact of the Delta variant seen in current hotspots will be replicate across the country. “Nevertheless,” Kao said, “the evidence is concerning … It does lend extra credence to the idea of slowing down easing restrictions and, in limited cases, considering stronger local restrictions.”

Experts have also raised concerns that a rise in infections could lead to many more cases of long Covid, and increased pressure on NHS services, potentially worsening the surgery backlog. Prof Graeme Ackland, of the University of Edinburgh, whose team has verified the Imperial College Covid models, said his calculations suggest the R number is currently far above 1 in all areas of Britain. “I think what is likely to happen is there will be a third wave of cases that will be just as big as the second wave,” he said, adding he did not think that would translate into hospitalisations and deaths on a par with, or exceeding, the second wave. “But I say that with a very high level of uncertainty,” he said. “There will still be a sizeable peak.” François Balloux, director of the UCL Genetics Institute, and a professor of computational biology at UCL, said the next week would be crucial when it came to predicting how a third wave might play out. “If the growth rates of this [Delta] variant tends to go down over the coming weeks, then I think the situation looks not too bad. If it doesn’t, then yes I worry that restrictions may have to stay in place for the time being.”

Date: June 9, 2021 04:40

This is a preprint and not yet peer reviewed. Still, food for thought.

"Necessity of COVID-19 vaccination in previously infected individuals"

"Background: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the necessity of COVID-19 vaccination in persons previously infected with SARS-CoV-2."

"Conclusions: Individuals who have had SARS-CoV-2 infection are unlikely to benefit from COVID-19 vaccination, and vaccines can be safely prioritized to those who have not been infected before."

[www.medrxiv.org]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 9, 2021 06:38

It's very strange to try and plan a trip to Europe. There seems no end to the crisis there. We're just starting to get out from under it here in the states. The Hollywood Bowl has scheduled concerts starting in July.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 9, 2021 08:01

bleedingman

"Background: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the necessity of COVID-19 vaccination in persons previously infected with SARS-CoV-2."

"Conclusions: Individuals who have had SARS-CoV-2 infection are unlikely to benefit from COVID-19 vaccination, and vaccines can be safely prioritized to those who have not been infected before."

[www.medrxiv.org]

This doesn't take into account the different variants. Look at Brazil and India. In Brazil there has been significant reinfection.

A friend of mine (we caught Covid together) works in cancer research and has been part of a clinical study on antibodies. What she was told by peers doing the study was that the 2nd vaccine was probably not necessary but they didn't want to muddy the messaging. Immunity decreases over time so eventually everyone may need a booster.

Right now the issue isn't prioritizing vaccines, it is getting those who won't take the vaccine to do so.

Date: June 9, 2021 08:22

It is interesting that they have never promoted zinc, vitamin D to reduce effects of CovID if you catch it

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 9, 2021 15:46

terraplane
It is interesting that they have never promoted zinc, vitamin D to reduce effects of CovID if you catch it

Is there any evidence that these reduce the effects of COVID-19?

I know Vitamin D levels are important to generally stave off disease but I thought that was important before you got sick, not after you were already sick.

And is the jury in on zinc? I've heard mixed reports on it with regards to cold/flu...not sure how that would translate to covid.

Date: June 9, 2021 17:48

terraplane

...nor have they ever promoted "losing weight" as a means to reduce COVID symptoms, if you catch it....at least not in the US.

it's all been "sit around and wait for the vaccine"....translation: "science will save you, no need to do anything for yourself or take any personal responsibility for your health"

I heard something about Vitamin D being a good call at the start of all this.

I take Vitamin D...which I suppose is better than injecting bleach.

the vaccine is great (at least it seems to be so-far), but losing that extra 1-50 "stone" people are carrying around seems like solid advice....it was good advice w/o this f'n Pandemic....

(I think a "stone" is like 14lbs....and 14lbs is like 6 kilos....I think)

Date: June 9, 2021 18:26

stickyfingers101
terraplane

...nor have they ever promoted "losing weight" as a means to reduce COVID symptoms, if you catch it....at least not in the US.

it's all been "sit around and wait for the vaccine"....translation: "science will save you, no need to do anything for yourself or take any personal responsibility for your health"

the vaccine is great (at least it seems to be so-far), but losing that extra 1-50 "stone" people are carrying around seems like solid advice....it was good advice w/o this f'n Pandemic....

Yep, all the fat people in Brazil and India are the ones dying.

Date: June 9, 2021 20:07

daspyknows
stickyfingers101
terraplane

I never said that. You're not even on-topic. My post was about how the US Gov't has failed to address the obesity epidemic and its link to severe Covid (and how losing excess weight is "solid advice").

Please don't project and please stick to the topic at hand.

however...according to every scientific and medical organization in the world, overweight people in ANY COUNTRY are far more likely to have severe Covid....

[www.cdc.gov].

here's info on Brazil and Obesity and Covid...they have a problem with both

[brazilian.report]

India has one of the fastest growing obesity rates in the world AND the 2nd highest # of obese children in the world....it's (literally) an epidemic

(ironically, they also have a "malnutrition" problem, which I also assume doesn't help things)

It's quite simple, my friend....anybody who denies a correlation between obesity/overweight and severe Covid is a "science denier"....to do so is on-par with agreeing with "injecting bleach" or "taking hydrochloroquine" as treatments...both positions have zero scientific validity.

by the way....it's LOOOOOONG been proven that losing excess weight is good for your health, PERIOD.

so, no...not "all the fat people" are dying (nor are ONLY fat people dying)...but, fat people ARE at dramatically increased risk of severe Covid.

I'm sorry if you can't accept that...all I can say is "follow the science," dude....otherwise, line up w/ the rest of the "Deniers" you loathe so much....

Look, bud...I know you hate me, which is fine...but, try not to let it drive you false projections and science denial.

[www.cnn.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-09 20:11 by stickyfingers101.

Date: June 9, 2021 20:18

From Fauci via CNN:

Fauci: US "cannot declare victory prematurely" against Covid-19 as variants are still a threat

Corona-Fauci

While the US has “done very well” with vaccinating its population, Dr. Anthony Fauci said, “we cannot declare victory prematurely because there are still a substantial proportion of people who have not been vaccinated.”
Fauci, director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the chief medical adviser to President Biden, encouraged unvaccinated Americans to get their shot to prevent the spread of the Covid-19 Delta variant first identified in India. “We don't want to let happen in the United States what is happening currently in the UK, where you have a troublesome variant essentially taking over as the dominant variant, which has made it a very difficult situation in the UK. We don't want to be there,” he said. "About 6% of the isolates in the United States are this troublesome variant. You don't want to give it the opportunity to take over as the dominant variant, and we have within our power to do that by getting people vaccinated, because we have very, very good vaccines,” Fauci said. Fauci also said that the US Food & Drug Administration is “very, very carefully” looking into extending shelf life or re-allocating Johnson & Johnson vaccines that are set to expire. Of the 21.4 million Johnson & Johnson doses delivered in the US, about 11 million have been administered, according to data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The vaccine can be stored for up to three months at refrigerator temperatures.

Date: June 9, 2021 20:19

stickyfingers101
daspyknows
stickyfingers101
terraplane

I never said that. You're not even on-topic. My post was about how the US Gov't has failed to address the obesity epidemic and its link to severe Covid (and how losing excess weight is "solid advice").

Please don't project and please stick to the topic at hand.

however...according to every scientific and medical organization in the world, overweight people in ANY COUNTRY are far more likely to have severe Covid....

[www.cdc.gov].

here's info on Brazil and Obesity and Covid...they have a problem with both

[brazilian.report]

India has one of the fastest growing obesity rates in the world AND the 2nd highest # of obese children in the world....it's (literally) an epidemic

(ironically, they also have a "malnutrition" problem, which I also assume doesn't help things)

It's quite simple, my friend....anybody who denies a correlation between obesity/overweight and severe Covid is a "science denier"....to do so is on-par with agreeing with "injecting bleach" or "taking hydrochloroquine" as treatments...both positions have zero scientific validity.

by the way....it's LOOOOOONG been proven that losing excess weight is good for your health, PERIOD.

so, no...not "all the fat people" are dying (nor are ONLY fat people dying)...but, fat people ARE at dramatically increased risk of severe Covid.

I'm sorry if you can't accept that...all I can say is "follow the science," dude....otherwise, line up w/ the rest of the "Deniers" you loathe so much....

Look, bud...I know you hate me, which is fine...but, try not to let it drive you false projections and science denial.

[www.cnn.com]

Totally on topic. You say Covid wouldn't be bad if there weren't fat people. Just like deaths would be minimal if there were no old people. You call me anti-science. Riiiight. Science according to Stickyfingers sounds like the flat earth society.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 9, 2021 20:33

If everyone was under 50 years old, and hunted deer and rabbits all day, I am sure nobody would worry about covid-19.

We need to face reality, which is a world with many elderly people, average expected living age in the 80's many places, people surviving cancer, people on strong medication, people with overweight, all of that is part of the real world, and many are at risk, especially with covid-19. Also many people not living on a remote ranch in Texas, or a farm in Haparanda, with acres of space, but in a big city with limited ways of getting away from crowds and other people. Consuming a lot of vitamin D and eating a lot of fish will not make old people any younger, fat people any slimmer, it's just another side track.

Wear your masks, take the vaccine, keep a distance, this pandemic is not over, even if some places, some very few places on the planet, do have access to vaccine.

Bjornulf

Date: June 9, 2021 20:55

Hairball
From Fauci via CNN:

Fauci: US "cannot declare victory prematurely" against Covid-19 as variants are still a threat

Corona-Fauci

While the US has “done very well” with vaccinating its population, Dr. Anthony Fauci said, “we cannot declare victory prematurely because there are still a substantial proportion of people who have not been vaccinated.”
Fauci, director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the chief medical adviser to President Biden, encouraged unvaccinated Americans to get their shot to prevent the spread of the Covid-19 Delta variant first identified in India. “We don't want to let happen in the United States what is happening currently in the UK, where you have a troublesome variant essentially taking over as the dominant variant, which has made it a very difficult situation in the UK. We don't want to be there,” he said. "About 6% of the isolates in the United States are this troublesome variant. You don't want to give it the opportunity to take over as the dominant variant, and we have within our power to do that by getting people vaccinated, because we have very, very good vaccines,” Fauci said. Fauci also said that the US Food & Drug Administration is “very, very carefully” looking into extending shelf life or re-allocating Johnson & Johnson vaccines that are set to expire. Of the 21.4 million Johnson & Johnson doses delivered in the US, about 11 million have been administered, according to data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The vaccine can be stored for up to three months at refrigerator temperatures.
Exactly , as I could not have said it any better myself . Everyone is running around like they won the Super Bowl or something and everyone is dropping there guard and it's not over and the fat lady is not in the bld, or in the city or state or country for that matter . Such a rush .

Date: June 9, 2021 20:57

bv
If everyone was under 50 years old, and hunted deer and rabbits all day, I am sure nobody would worry about covid-19.

We need to face reality, which is a world with many elderly people, average expected living age in the 80's many places, people surviving cancer, people on strong medication, people with overweight, all of that is part of the real world, and many are at risk, especially with covid-19. Also many people not living on a remote ranch in Texas, or a farm in Haparanda, with acres of space, but in a big city with limited ways of getting away from crowds and other people. Consuming a lot of vitamin D and eating a lot of fish will not make old people any younger, fat people any slimmer, it's just another side track.

Wear your masks, take the vaccine, keep a distance, this pandemic is not over, even if some places, some very few places on the planet, do have access to vaccine.
Everyone should listen to BV's wisdom as he knows what he is talking about !

Date: June 9, 2021 21:11

TheGreek
Hairball
From Fauci via CNN:

Corona-Fauci

Exactly , as I could not have said it any better myself . Everyone is running around like they won the Super Bowl or something and everyone is dropping there guard and it's not over and the fat lady is not in the bld, or in the city or state or country for that matter . Such a rush .

Yeah Greek...it's a bit out of control...

And as Bjornulf stated "Wear your masks, take the vaccine, keep a distance, this pandemic is not over..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-09 21:13 by Hairball.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 9, 2021 21:27

bleedingman

[www.medrxiv.org]

I wonder what the % of people who had Covid got vaccinations vs. those that didn't?

Of course I bet a lot of folks had Covid and didn't know it, Would be hard to tell.

I had Covid and got the vaccination because I sure as heck didn't want it again but sounds like it may have been unnecessary. But then again...probably didn't hurt either at it seems as if we have an excess of the vaccine and running out of people who want it.

Date: June 9, 2021 23:09

treaclefingers
terraplane

Is there any evidence that these reduce the effects of COVID-19?

I know Vitamin D levels are important to generally stave off disease but I thought that was important before you got sick, not after you were already sick.

And is the jury in on zinc? I've heard mixed reports on it with regards to cold/flu...not sure how that would translate to covid.

I meant before not sure sure how much it helps after the fact.

Date: June 9, 2021 23:14

bv

No one said eating Vitamin D makes people younger, slimmer. Nor am I suggesting should or should not get a vaccine. Give the dogma a rest.
And by the way, as an example:

Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin playing a vital role in human physiology. Vitamin D deficiency is prevalent worldwide. This deficiency has many consequences which are still being explored, apart from the well-known skeletal complications. With this review, we aim to summarize the existing literature on Vitamin D status in India and understand the enormity of the problem. The prevalence of Vitamin D deficiency ranged from 40% to 99%, with most of the studies reporting a prevalence of 80%-90%. It was prevalent in all the age groups and high-risk groups alike. With the consequences of Vitamin D deficiency, namely, autoimmune diseases, cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and tuberculosis being explored, we can imagine the burden it would cause in our country. We need to create awareness among the public and healthcare providers about the importance of Vitamin D and the consequences of deficiency. Our Indian diet generally fails to satisfy the daily requirement of Vitamin D for a normal adult.

[pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 9, 2021 23:28

Interesting article in my local paper about Canadians perhaps seeking a second shot in my county (and elsewhere) if/when the border reopens.
Course, it would likely have to be approved, but the US is reportedly considering opening it to Canadians regardless of vax status, if coming for a jab.
If it does happen and anyone is in need of assistance or has questions regarding getting one quick in the county, my email is open. Very familiar with the options for both young and old winking smiley

When U.S.-Canada border reopens, Whatcom could become a popular spot for this
BY DAVE GALLAGHER

If reopening the U.S.-Canada border becomes a reality later this month, Whatcom County could become a popular destination for Canadians seeking a second shot of the COVID-19 vaccine.

It’s possible, given how few Canadians are fully vaccinated at this point. While more than 60% of the Canadian adults have received one shot of the vaccine, only 7% are fully vaccinated, according to Canadian government data through May 29. In British Columbia, 59.5% are partially vaccinated, while only 3.5% are fully vaccinated, according to the same report.

In Washington, the state reported 63.7% of residents aged 16 and older have initiated vaccination and 55.7% have completed it as of Monday, June 7.

While Canada got off to a slow start with the vaccine rollout compared to the U.S., it appears to now be ramping things up. Canadian media, including the CBC, is reporting that the second shot is now available and officials are encouraging residents to sign up for the second shot. However, second shots are still being prioritized, with seniors, Indigenous people and medically vulnerable people at the top of the list. The expectation is that those second shots will be in the arms of British Columbians in the coming months.

With restrictions banning nonessential travel set to expire on June 21 and conditions improving on both sides of the border, there appears to be momentum on easing at least some of the restrictions on June 22. The Canadian government has indicated it wants to do a phased reopening, focusing on allowing fully vaccinated travelers to cross the border. The U.S. appears to be considering different options, including lifting restrictions.

If the U.S. completely lifts its border pandemic restrictions, partially vaccinated Canadians who are tired of waiting for a second shot could find an ample supply of vaccine available in Whatcom County.

Mike Faulk, a spokesman for Washington Gov. Jay Inslee’s office, said British Columbia officials told them that they have received increased allocations from their federal government. But, if Canadians did come down to Whatcom County to get the shot, Washington would be ready.

“We continue to say that anyone is welcome to be vaccinated in Washington who is in Washington,” Faulk said in an email to The Bellingham Herald. “We have plenty of supply and if demand increases with Whatcom County provider sites we can support getting them additional vaccine.”

Supply isn’t the only factor for the low percentage of Canadians who have received a second shot. According to the CBC article, Canadians are typically getting their second appointment eight weeks after they’ve received their first dose. In the U.S., Americans were eligible to get the second dose three or four weeks after the first, depending whether they were using Pfizer or Moderna.

How the two governments handle the reopening of the border will play a key role in whether Canadians can get vaccine shots in Whatcom County, said Laurie Trautman, director at Western Washington University’s Border Policy Research Institute. One possible Canadian policy for partially vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers would be to get tested at the border. This would allow Canadians to get a shot while potentially avoiding the 14-day mandatory quarantine if it were lifted based on a negative test.

Public sentiment in Canada continues to be reluctant for a full border reopening at this time, so Canada may take a more cautious approach and only allow fully vaccinated people to cross the border. In one recent poll, nearly half of Canadians want to wait until at least September before reopening the border.

“Their goal is to not reopen the floodgates,” Trautman said, referring to the Canadian federal government.

Whatcom County officials are monitoring the situation, but at this point have no plans to open mass vaccination sites, said Schuyler Shelloner, communications specialist at the Whatcom County Health Department. If there is an uptick in Canadians coming into Whatcom County to get a second dose once the border reopens, providers will simply request more doses from the state.

“As of now, our primary concern is getting as many unvaccinated Whatcom County residents as possible to voluntarily roll up their sleeves for the shot,” Shelloner said, adding that Canadian officials have told them there isn’t a need for vaccination assistance for Canadian citizens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-09 23:29 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 10, 2021 00:37

That's odd MisterDDDD. I can't see hoards of Canadians surging the border to get the vaccine.

It's over 75% in BC that have had the first jab and climbing, and we've just started a couple of weeks ago on the second shot, and that'll go pretty quickly too. Plus, very low infection rate right now.

It seems like things are coming along pretty quickly. I heard our target vaccine rate is 90% so we'll see how quickly or if we can actually get to that rate.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...253254255256257258259260261262263...LastNext
Current Page: 258 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1997
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home