Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...246247248249250251252253254255256...LastNext
Current Page: 251 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Date: May 19, 2021 21:25

Times Square, New York City 2021-05-19

[www.instagram.com]

@gigi.nyc - We must welcome the future, remembering that soon it will be the past; and we must respect the past, remembering that it was once all that was humanly possible.
- George Santayana
Morning views fr Times Square #NewYorkCity
Welcome back NYC! The city is gradually reopening! Some highlights:

• May 17: Outdoor food and beverage curfew is lifted, coinciding w the restoration of a 24-hr MTA service

• May 19: Restaurants, museums, theaters and retail outlets will be allowed to reopen at full capacity. Indoor social gathering limit increases to 250, outdoor residential gathering limit is removed while indoor residential gathering limit increases to 50.

• May 29: City beaches and pools will open on Memorial Day weekend.

• May 31: Indoor dining curfew will be lifted.

Proof of vaccination or recent negative test is required for large scale venues, and businesses should still adhere to the six-foot distancing rule.
#SeeYourCity

Hope to see the Stones here on their 60th Anniversary thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-19 21:27 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: May 19, 2021 21:43

daspyknows
TheGreek
I work with some real beauts. One guy that is the most scared of his shadow will not get the vaxx because FOX hasn't directed him to , but when a pretty lady comes in and says "we don't have to wear masks at work " which we are to continue to mask up and social distance to stay safe , says Oh yeah I am getting it this week . Then I ask him about and then I get the BS of Walgreens has a waiting list -I.E. he was full of crap and was just trying to impress the lady . Another Gent says "no I don't have to wear it" and our boss says yes you do , then I of course jump in and quote from the official memorandum which was issued overnight that says to continue all safety protocols . How is any of this going to protect us ? From another surge ? Which will happen due to all the idiots running around . Hurry up and open everything back up and fill the coffers fast and damn the torpedo's coming in !

We just have the hope the vaccine keeps us who are vaccinated safe. I hate to say it but I pretty much think we need one more big wave that affects the anti-vaxxers and hopefully avoids those vaccinated. It may slow down the reopening a bit but one more short period of severe pain affecting those deniers would be better for the majority than a long slow burn that affects everyone. Unfortunately this would stress the health care staff one more time. Some folks have not learned and if they don't learn from that they never will. Let the anti-vaxxers and deniers flame away.

That is a very bitter and rather misanthropic Statement you are making here, daspyknows. It surely isn't a surprise judging from your various, not less harsh posts against people who have a different opinion in this matter. You must bear quiet some frustration, hopefully this isn't affecting your real life. Wishing someone ill or worse, be it online or not, doesn't seem to add anything good to society. It just shows the state you're in. Take care!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 19, 2021 23:06

calipachangero
daspyknows
TheGreek
I work with some real beauts. One guy that is the most scared of his shadow will not get the vaxx because FOX hasn't directed him to , but when a pretty lady comes in and says "we don't have to wear masks at work " which we are to continue to mask up and social distance to stay safe , says Oh yeah I am getting it this week . Then I ask him about and then I get the BS of Walgreens has a waiting list -I.E. he was full of crap and was just trying to impress the lady . Another Gent says "no I don't have to wear it" and our boss says yes you do , then I of course jump in and quote from the official memorandum which was issued overnight that says to continue all safety protocols . How is any of this going to protect us ? From another surge ? Which will happen due to all the idiots running around . Hurry up and open everything back up and fill the coffers fast and damn the torpedo's coming in !

We just have the hope the vaccine keeps us who are vaccinated safe. I hate to say it but I pretty much think we need one more big wave that affects the anti-vaxxers and hopefully avoids those vaccinated. It may slow down the reopening a bit but one more short period of severe pain affecting those deniers would be better for the majority than a long slow burn that affects everyone. Unfortunately this would stress the health care staff one more time. Some folks have not learned and if they don't learn from that they never will. Let the anti-vaxxers and deniers flame away.

That is a very bitter and rather misanthropic Statement you are making here, daspyknows. It surely isn't a surprise judging from your various, not less harsh posts against people who have a different opinion in this matter. You must bear quiet some frustration, hopefully this isn't affecting your real life. Wishing someone ill or worse, be it online or not, doesn't seem to add anything good to society. It just shows the state you're in. Take care!

You're missing the point. Some people are so incredibly thick headed, it takes something huge to wake them up.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 20, 2021 00:00

"You're missing the point. Some people are so incredibly thick headed, it takes something huge to wake them up." LOL Death. Death will wake them up! Lots and lots of death. Dropping like flies in the streets death. Only then will they come over to our side. Fauci knows.

"vaccinated people still need masks!"

Vaccinated people don't need masks!"

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 20, 2021 00:14

bleedingman
"You're missing the point. Some people are so incredibly thick headed, it takes something huge to wake them up." LOL Death. Death will wake them up! Lots and lots of death. Dropping like flies in the streets death. Only then will they come over to our side. Fauci knows.

"vaccinated people still need masks!"

Vaccinated people don't need masks!"

Two months apart eye rolling smiley

Maybe go back to pre-covid times next, that'll show 'em.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 20, 2021 00:26

Students protest mandatory Covid vaccinations at colleges

In the midst of a public health crisis, hundreds of colleges have already said Covid vaccines will be mandatory for fall 2021.
Not all students plan to comply.

Covid

Across the country, a growing number of colleges and universities have said vaccinations will be mandatory for the fall of 2021. Now, hundreds of thousands of students will be required to get the Covid-19 vaccine, whether they want to or not. For the most part, students will get vaccinated if it means campus life can return to a pre-pandemic “normal” by September. But not everyone feels that way. Roughly 88% of college students plan to get the coronavirus vaccine and nearly 3 in 4 students believe vaccinations should be mandatory, according to a recent survey of more than 1,000 college students by College Finance. However, Jackie Gale, a rising sophomore at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, is not one of them. For religious reasons, Gale has never been vaccinated. The 19-year-old attended Alabama public schools and received a religious exemption from the Alabama state health department. The University of Alabama-Birmingham also exempted Gale from its vaccine requirements during the 2020-2021 school year but won’t apply the same exemption for the upcoming year, according to her lawyer. “If they decide to give her a religious exemption, that will be the end of it,” said Hiram Sasser, executive general counsel for First Liberty Institute, based outside of Dallas. “If not, we will have to communicate with them through a lawsuit.” “In compliance with applicable law, we do provide religious exemptions for immunization requirements,” a spokeswoman for the school said. The university does require students provide proof of immunization against certain diseases, although there is currently no Covid vaccine mandate for the fall semester.

For those enrolled in school, there are many vaccination requirements already in place to prevent the spread of diseases such as polio, diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough. All 50 states have at least some vaccine mandates for students attending public schools and even those attending private schools. In every case, there are medical exemptions and, in some instances, there are religious or philosophical exemptions, as well. Rutgers University, in New Brunswick, New Jersey, said it will now mandate Covid vaccinations for its 71,000 students. “Adding Covid-19 vaccination to our student immunization requirements will help provide a safer and more robust college experience for our students,” Rutgers President Jonathan Holloway said in a statement. “We are committed to creating a safe campus environment in fall 2021, and to support the health and safety for all members of the Rutgers community, the university has updated existing immunization requirements for students to include the Covid-19 vaccine,” a spokesman for the university added. Sara Razi, a 21-year-old junior at Rutgers, is challenging that requirement. ?I’m not anti-vax, I’m anti-mandate,” she said. “My education should not be restricted based on my personal decision to receive the Covid-19 vaccination. “Vaccinations are a personal and a private choice and students should have the right to choose whether or not they want to take a vaccine that is experimental,” Razi added. “Therefore, a public institution like Rutgers should not have the right to dictate a student’s personal decisions.” Razi, who has received other immunizations in the past, said she hasn’t decided yet whether she will get a Covid shot. In the meantime, she will be participating in a rally on campus, protesting the school’s mandate. The political science major from Freehold, New Jersey, is also a member of Young Americans for Liberty, a libertarian group active on nearly 400 college and university campuses, including Rutgers.

Rutgers has said it will grant exemptions, for medical or religious reasons, although requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. “There are a lot of people who are hesitant, that doesn’t mean they don’t want to get the vaccinated,” said Brittany Kmush, assistant professor of public health at Syracuse University. “This pandemic has become so politicized and it’s really unfortunate that health outcomes have been tied to political parties,” she added. Colleges need to offer information and education so families can have their concerns addressed. “Just the opportunity to listen to people and give them a place to voice their concerns,” Kmush said, “that would be helpful.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-20 00:27 by Hairball.

Date: May 20, 2021 00:50

MisterDDDD

He admits he was lying - again - to keep up appearances. He's a weasel.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: May 20, 2021 01:01

Since there is little chance the global population will be vaccinated it's futile to mandate vaccinations in the hope of eradicating Covid. Close the borders and vaccinate your country? If the vaccination protected longterm like polio or smallpox then maybe, but this one needs boosters all the time. So whats the point of vaccinating the youth, they don't need it to survive, the elders can take their shots and feel safe. The cat is out of the box.

Date: May 20, 2021 01:06

<but this one needs boosters all the time>

Do we know that yet? If so, don't be surprised if it will be like the flu vaccine: yearly.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: May 20, 2021 01:17

DandelionPowderman

Do we know that yet? If so, don't be surprised if it will be like the flu vaccine: yearly.

No. It's speculation. The hope is Covid will be subdued by herd-immunity, which can be accelerated by vaccination. But mandating experimental vaccines is not playing it safe. Like the flu or cold, covid could be circulating for a long time.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 20, 2021 01:37

Not "could be". It will be. We here are living in a parallel world when you think that Africa - for example - with its population of 1.2 billion, has received a mere 36 million vaccines. Today Malawi burned 20,000 expired vaccines that arrived 18 days before they expired. And India, a major vaccine producer, has also halted vaccine exports. So go figure.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 20, 2021 02:00

Hairball
Students protest mandatory Covid vaccinations at colleges

In the midst of a public health crisis, hundreds of colleges have already said Covid vaccines will be mandatory for fall 2021.
Not all students plan to comply.

Covid

Across the country, a growing number of colleges and universities have said vaccinations will be mandatory for the fall of 2021. Now, hundreds of thousands of students will be required to get the Covid-19 vaccine, whether they want to or not. For the most part, students will get vaccinated if it means campus life can return to a pre-pandemic “normal” by September. But not everyone feels that way. Roughly 88% of college students plan to get the coronavirus vaccine and nearly 3 in 4 students believe vaccinations should be mandatory, according to a recent survey of more than 1,000 college students by College Finance. However, Jackie Gale, a rising sophomore at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, is not one of them. For religious reasons, Gale has never been vaccinated. The 19-year-old attended Alabama public schools and received a religious exemption from the Alabama state health department. The University of Alabama-Birmingham also exempted Gale from its vaccine requirements during the 2020-2021 school year but won’t apply the same exemption for the upcoming year, according to her lawyer. “If they decide to give her a religious exemption, that will be the end of it,” said Hiram Sasser, executive general counsel for First Liberty Institute, based outside of Dallas. “If not, we will have to communicate with them through a lawsuit.” “In compliance with applicable law, we do provide religious exemptions for immunization requirements,” a spokeswoman for the school said. The university does require students provide proof of immunization against certain diseases, although there is currently no Covid vaccine mandate for the fall semester.

For those enrolled in school, there are many vaccination requirements already in place to prevent the spread of diseases such as polio, diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough. All 50 states have at least some vaccine mandates for students attending public schools and even those attending private schools. In every case, there are medical exemptions and, in some instances, there are religious or philosophical exemptions, as well. Rutgers University, in New Brunswick, New Jersey, said it will now mandate Covid vaccinations for its 71,000 students. “Adding Covid-19 vaccination to our student immunization requirements will help provide a safer and more robust college experience for our students,” Rutgers President Jonathan Holloway said in a statement. “We are committed to creating a safe campus environment in fall 2021, and to support the health and safety for all members of the Rutgers community, the university has updated existing immunization requirements for students to include the Covid-19 vaccine,” a spokesman for the university added. Sara Razi, a 21-year-old junior at Rutgers, is challenging that requirement. ?I’m not anti-vax, I’m anti-mandate,” she said. “My education should not be restricted based on my personal decision to receive the Covid-19 vaccination. “Vaccinations are a personal and a private choice and students should have the right to choose whether or not they want to take a vaccine that is experimental,” Razi added. “Therefore, a public institution like Rutgers should not have the right to dictate a student’s personal decisions.” Razi, who has received other immunizations in the past, said she hasn’t decided yet whether she will get a Covid shot. In the meantime, she will be participating in a rally on campus, protesting the school’s mandate. The political science major from Freehold, New Jersey, is also a member of Young Americans for Liberty, a libertarian group active on nearly 400 college and university campuses, including Rutgers.

Rutgers has said it will grant exemptions, for medical or religious reasons, although requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. “There are a lot of people who are hesitant, that doesn’t mean they don’t want to get the vaccinated,” said Brittany Kmush, assistant professor of public health at Syracuse University. “This pandemic has become so politicized and it’s really unfortunate that health outcomes have been tied to political parties,” she added. Colleges need to offer information and education so families can have their concerns addressed. “Just the opportunity to listen to people and give them a place to voice their concerns,” Kmush said, “that would be helpful.”

Private Universities have the right to do what they want. Public universities are more nuanced. If they already have vaccine requirements, adding one more will not be that difficult to implement. If they don't like it they can attend Liberty University.

Date: May 20, 2021 02:43

skytrench
Since there is little chance the global population will be vaccinated it's futile to mandate vaccinations in the hope of eradicating Covid. Close the borders and vaccinate your country? If the vaccination protected longterm like polio or smallpox then maybe, but this one needs boosters all the time. So whats the point of vaccinating the youth, they don't need it to survive, the elders can take their shots and feel safe. The cat is out of the box.

Well, the U.S. is wide open so every variant out there can potentially get in now.

Date: May 20, 2021 03:34

Amidst all the mask/no mask, the vaccinated/unvaccinated, and all the other controversies, this seems to be the elephant in the room...
Aside from a brief story several weeks ago about a bartender selling fakes, surprised this issue isn't talked about more in the news, or anywhere else for that matter.

From KTLA 5 in Los Angeles:

California AG: Buying or printing fake COVID-19 vaccination cards is a crime

VaccinationCard

California’s Attorney General Rob Bonta on Wednesday warned residents not to print fake COVID-19 vaccination record cards at home and not to purchase counterfeits. “These counterfeit records undermine the health and safety of Californians and are also illegal,” Bonta said in a consumer alert warning. “I advise you to get your COVID-19 vaccination and the authentic vaccination record that reflects you were vaccinated. Please do not purchase a fraudulent record, do not make your own, and do not fill in blank vaccination record cards with false information.”

Officials remind residents that vaccines and vaccination cards are offered at no cost, and that anyone 12 and older is now eligible to get inoculated in California. Vaccination cards include information about the type of shot the recipient received and when it was given. “By misrepresenting yourself as vaccinated when entering schools, mass transit, workplaces, gyms, or places of worship, you put yourself and others around you at risk of contracting COVID-19,” officials said in a news release announcing the warning. Additionally, officials warned that forging official documents is a federal and state crime. “The unauthorized use of an official government agency’s seal (such as the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) is a federal crime, and may be punishable under Section 1017 of Title 18 of the United States Code, and other laws,” the news release stated. Bonta also asked Californians not to post photos of their vaccination record card on social media in an effort to avoid having their important dose information stolen. Officials offer more information about the dangers of sharing their vaccination status on social media here. Officials urge residents to keep their vaccination cards in a safe place to prevent loss or damage. If you lose your card and need a replacement, contact your vaccination provider. You can also request your vaccination record from the California Immunization Registry. The organization, however, does not provide replacement cards.

To report any suspicious activity involving fake COVID-19 vaccination cards, file a complaint with the Attorney General’s Office here (AG). One instance of fake vaccination cards recently made headlines when a San Joaquin County bar owner was arrested after allegedly selling fake laminated ones for $20 at his establishment. Residents can also contact their local district attorney’s office, contact the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Health and Human Services, or file a complaint with the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center. Residents who were vaccinated at a Los Angeles County site are able to get a digital record of their shots, but officials warned that it’s not meant to be a “vaccine passport.” A pilot program for digital vaccine records was met with controversy in Orange County, where some protested their use. Officials have clarified that the digital records are not required and are meant to be a convenience.

With California expanding reopenings amid steady declines in coronavirus cases and deaths, some venues are requiring proof of inoculation or a negative COVID-19 test result to enter. The Hollywood Bowl, for instance, is designating the majority of all concert seats to fully vaccinated visitors for its 2021 season. There will only be two seating sections for patrons who are not fully vaccinated at the venue, and guests will be required to show a negative test result and a photo ID. And local sports teams like the Dodgers and the Los Angeles Football Club are also offering seats in special vaccinated-only sections.

----------------------------------------------------

For those making, selling, or buying fakes...I say off with their heads!!!

Date: May 20, 2021 03:57

The usual "sky is falling" crowd is talking about it, here at least.

The elephant in the room is more of a mouse statistically.
Yawn.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 20, 2021 05:12

bleedingman
MisterDDDD

you sound really uninformed.

Date: May 20, 2021 05:31

A quick google search shows the counterfeit vaccine cards are not only a growing concern in California and other states, but also in many other places around the world.
From Pennsylvania:

Counterfeit vaccine cards becoming larger problem as areas begin to reopen

“Individuals are trying to sell the bogus cards for people to fill in themselves so that if they’re
not vaccinated, they can still have all the privileges of those who are,”
-INA President John Sancenito

Counterfeit

Recent recommendations from the CDC mean less mask-wearing if you’re fully vaccinated, but proving vaccine status might prove tricky and has potential to open up a market for fakes.
The less we rely on things like masks and mandates, the more we have to rely on one another to stay safe. This drives a problem of some bad apples trying to scam the masses.
“During the COVID crisis, we saw, even people selling vaccines on the black market on the “dark web”. We have no idea if these were legitimate vaccines that were diverted and sold into the black market or if these were just counterfeit from the start,” said John Sancenito, president of Information Network Associates. But now vaccines are widely available and your vaccination card is proof that you got the shot. So scammers are now pivoting. “Individuals are trying to sell the bogus cards for people to fill in themselves so that if they’re not vaccinated, they can still have all the privileges of those who are,” stated Sancenito. Law enforcement is monitoring the “dark web” and social media trying to get the sites blocked, but the cards are very simple and so very easily counterfeited. “They’re not very sophisticated cards, they’re very simple the logos of CDC are available elsewhere. They’re easily manufactured,” said Sancenito.

Talks of vaccine passports have been met with a lot of resistance despite the idea of accessibility and security. Both paper and digital have their flaws.“We have to get away from paper. I hate to say it but we have to go to digital, which causes other equitable situations because not everybody has access to the internet,” said Michael Seavers, assistant professor of healthcare informatics at Harrisburg University. “Looking at the broader public health consequences of this we know we’re in a situation where being vaccinated protects you as an individual, but it also protects people in our community,” said Emily Largent Assistant Professor of medical ethics & policy at the University of Pennsylvania. “The vaccine immunocompromised people for example, and they really rely on us to come together as a community and protect them through herd immunity,” stated Largent When it comes to a “centralized vaccination status system”, many are concerned with privacy issues and are keeping their eyes north to what New York is doing. We will be keeping an eye on what’s going on in the commonwealth. Businesses are working to determine if they’ll need to change policies moving forward.

And from the Guardian in London:

Fake Covid vaccine and test certificate market is growing, researchers say

The researchers said individuals who proudly post images of themselves holding the cards on social media unwittingly provide the source for forgeries.
Without an official global database recording individuals’ vaccination status, the system will be open to fakes and forgery,

CounterfeitVaccination II

More than 1,200 vendors operating in the UK and worldwide, offering false documents for as little as £25 A hidden pandemic market advertising fake vaccine and test certificates for as little as £25 has grown exponentially, with more than 1,200 vendors in the UK and worldwide, researchers have found. After UK ministers announced the return of overseas holidays – with travellers required to show proof of negative tests, and vaccine passports on the horizon – the Guardian has also learned that anti-vaxxers and people arriving in Britain from poorer nations make up a significant number of those buying forged pandemic paraphernalia. Last month MPs were told that more than 100 people a day are trying to enter the UK using fake Covid test certificates as individuals attempt to get around current entry requirements, which include tests before and after travel and can cost individuals hundreds of pounds. Israel-based researchers found evidence of forgeries of vaccine cards by the NHS and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) alongside fake test certificates, all available for sale on the dark web and through easy-to-access platforms including the messaging apps WhatsApp, Telegram and Jabber. Products purported to be Covid vaccines and treatments are also offered, according to Oded Vanunu and Liad Mizrachi of the cybersecurity firm Check Point.

The researchers detected about 20 dark web vendors by November last year, which grew to 600 in January and more than 1,200 by March. The darknet is a network within the internet that can only be accessed with specific software. There are also multiple channels on Telegram, an encrypted messaging service, some of which have in excess of 1,000 subscribers. Ministers recently unveiled details of a “traffic light” system for holidays, setting criteria for leisure travel from Monday. Travellers arriving from green-list countries will be required to take at least two tests, each costing an average of £128, according to data from travel industry experts, while amber- and red-list arrivals require at least three. Union officials have reported that UK border workers are catching about 100 people a day brandishing fake test certificates. A Border Force official told the Guardian the majority of travellers being caught as they arrive in the UK with fake negative Covid test certificates were from poorer nations, including African, South American and Asian countries. Mizrachi, senior researcher at Check Point, said anti-vaxxers – individuals who refuse to take the vaccine on the grounds of baseless conspiracy theories and spread dangerous disinformation – are among those buying the forged certificates. “We have all the people against vaccinations,” he said. “These two groups are combining perfectly together. ‘I don’t want to get vaccinated,’ [and] someone says: ‘Hey, you can get your vaccine certificate here.’ It’s significant.”

Vanunu, head of product vulnerability research at Check Point, said: “Since the start of the epidemic in 2020, we started to see the darknet produce supply channels for things related to Covid. At the beginning, it was offering the accessories that were missing: the masks, the protective equipment. There was a lot of discussion about treatments. We started to see these drugs for sale on the darknet.” In October last year, Vanunu said they started to see vendors offering vaccines – mostly the Chinese-made Sinovac and Russian-produced Sputnik jabs. Later in the year, they saw Pfizer and Moderna jabs being offered, though the researchers have questioned the authenticity of the products due to the logistical challenges in storing the Pfizer and Moderna jabs at low temperatures. Vanunu and Mizrachi tried to buy a vaccine from one vendor and paid using cryptocurrency, but the product never surfaced and the vendor vanished. “As at March, vendors were supplying from all the countries in Europe – Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden … [plus] Mexico, Australia,” Vanunu said. “After vaccinations, the next step was the certificates and negative tests.”

The researchers showed the Guardian an easy method for purchasing the NHS vaccine cards issued to individuals who have received their jab. Save for a few minor punctuation errors, the cards bear a strong likeness to the genuine article. Similarly, the US equivalent at the CDC is widely available. The researchers said individuals who proudly post images of themselves holding the cards on social media unwittingly provide the source for forgeries. Without an official global database recording individuals’ vaccination status, the system will be open to fakes and forgery, Vanunu said. Mizrachi showed an open-web platform for purchasing so-called “prank” negative Covid tests for £25. The site showcases repeated disclaimers warning that the certificates are not to be used formally – but they bear an uncanny similarity to the real thing.

Earlier this year, Europol, the EU’s cross-border law enforcement agency, warned that scammers were producing and selling fake negative coronavirus test certificates in airports, stations and online around Europe. Local trading standards bodies and individual police forces have issued their own warnings against the use of the forgeries, and called for individuals to report them. A Home Office spokesperson said: “Border Force is checking that every passenger has complied with current health measures when arriving at the border. “Providing falsified documents is against the law. Border Force officers are trained to detect falsified and counterfeit documents and have the right to refuse entry and issue [a] £500 fine to any visitor they believe has travelled to the UK using fraudulent Covid test certificates. “Individuals who fail to comply with their legal duty to quarantine at home following international travel can be fined £1,000, increasing to £10,000 for repeat offences.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-20 05:33 by Hairball.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 20, 2021 06:06

treaclefingers
bleedingman
MisterDDDD

you sound really uninformed.

I think you misspelled "stupid".

jb

Date: May 20, 2021 06:49

The stupidest of the stupidest (those who would pay money for a card instead of getting one with a free vaccine) aren't a threat to anything.
That level of ignorant were never getting a shot anyway.

Their numbers ultimately will be very small at the end of the day.
And, as the data and science has now proven, vaxxed people can't get it from them, and they can't get it from vaxxed people.

Go scam a donut and go to a game or a concert etc.
Don't care.

Date: May 20, 2021 07:42

Meanwhile, those who aren't vaccinated yet for whatever reason (hesitant, anti-vaxx, religion, logistics, etc) will continue to be hosts for the ever-evolving variants and mutations
And to think some will be carrying fake vaccine cards while spreading the new mutations at movie theaters, restaurants, concerts, and wherever else they please.
Whatever the case, as has been seen already, the variants/mutations can wreak havoc, and will continue to as long as the virus exists.

Indian coronavirus variant is threatening UK plans to end lockdown

Mutation

There is laboratory evidence that B.1.617.1...can evade immunity to some extent = Christina Pagel of University College London

ON 17 MAY, many people in the UK regained some of the freedoms surrendered to the coronavirus pandemic. But there are concerns that the relaxation has come too soon, with B.1.617.2 – a variant first identified in India – set to become the dominant strain in England over the coming week. England, Wales and most of Scotland have now proceeded in line with step three of the UK government’s plan for easing lockdown. That means most businesses can fully reopen, including pubs and restaurants, entertainment venues, museums, galleries and gyms. People can welcome others into their homes, and the ban on foreign travel has been lifted to some extent. However, Prime Minister Boris Johnson urged caution and said that B.1.617.2 “could pose a serious disruption to our progress”. A complete lifting of England’s restrictions, currently pencilled in for 21 June, may be delayed.

Some scientists think that step three may already be a step too far. Jeremy Farrar, director of Wellcome and a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), told BBC Radio 4 that he wouldn’t be meeting people indoors just yet. The key question is whether vaccination has “decoupled” infection from severe illness, he said, which would mean that a rise in infections doesn’t lead to a surge of hospitalisations, deaths and long covid. “To be honest, we don’t know that today,” he said, and warned that if B.1.617.2 proves to be resistant to vaccines, the relaxation may have to be reversed. In February, the UK government set itself four tests that must be passed in order to continue on the planned pathway for easing of restrictions in England. The fourth of these is “assessment of the risks is not fundamentally changed by new Variants of Concern”.

According to Kit Yates at the University of Bath, UK, who is a member of the alternative Independent SAGE group, this test is “potentially failing”. B.1.617.2 is booming in many parts of the UK, he says.
According to modelling done by SAGE, a variant that is more transmissible or substantially escapes immunity could lead to a surge of hospitalisations even bigger than the UK’s second wave in January, which at its peak was seeing more than 50,000 new infections every day. Most scientists agree that B.1.617.2 is more transmissible, says Yates, “although it hasn’t been entirely confirmed yet. The good news is that there’s no firm evidence that vaccines don’t work against it.”

UK health secretary Matt Hancock said on 16 May that “new, very early” lab data from the University of Oxford suggested that the vaccines work against B.1.617.2. The university confirmed the existence of the data, but said it couldn’t give further details. There is laboratory evidence that B.1.617.1, a closely related variant, can evade immunity to some extent, says Christina Pagel of University College London (UCL) and Independent SAGE. In response to the threat, the UK government said it would shorten the gap between the first and second doses of vaccine from 12 weeks to eight weeks for people over the age of 50 and for those who are clinically vulnerable. But Anthony Costello at UCL says that what was needed was a functioning test-and-trace system and regional powers to impose measures such as local lockdowns. The response in England has been too centralised, he says. The Scottish government decided that restrictions wouldn’t be relaxed in Glasgow because of concerns over B.1.617.2, and in Moray after a surge in cases there. Northern Ireland will review its restrictions on 10 June.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-20 07:43 by Hairball.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: May 20, 2021 09:44

Again: There will be no pre-Covid time again. Covid-19 will stay, mutations will stay. We have to live with this.

Date: May 20, 2021 16:37

MisterDDDD
The stupidest of the stupidest (those who would pay money for a card instead of getting one with a free vaccine) aren't a threat to anything.

And, as the data and science has now proven, vaxxed people can't get it from them, and they can't get it from vaxxed people.

Don't care.

It's as Hairball said though, regarding new variants, and as well there is evidence the immuno-compromised don't get adequate protection from the vaccines, not enough of an immune response, so they'll be at continued threat.

If everyone was vaccinated, probably not an issue, but you have what you have unfortunately.

Date: May 20, 2021 17:01

treaclefingers
MisterDDDD

Don't care.

It's as Hairball said though, regarding new variants, and as well there is evidence the immuno-compromised don't get adequate protection from the vaccines, not enough of an immune response, so they'll be at continued threat.

If everyone was vaccinated, probably not an issue, but you have what you have unfortunately.

This is not an unknown about the variants, and the vaccines ability to adapt to variants was a key factor in revising the mask guidance etc.

As for the data that immune compromised don't get adequate protection, which is incomplete, the concern there isn't for the vaccinated, but for themselves.
Wear the N-95's, don't go to public events etc etc., may be a reality for them for a bit while the science catches up, but undoubtably it will catch up.

As the CDC has stated, the mask guidance revision was due to several factors- Included in that is the vaccines ability to fight the mutant strains, either by itself or with boosters.
Additionally, Vaccinated people can't pass enough of the virus to the unvaccinated to get people seriously ill, and vice-versa.
Advancing treatments for those that get the virus will also be another game changer for those that get it in the near future.

The sky isn't falling despite all the chicken-littles constantly screaming that it could.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-20 17:04 by MisterDDDD.

Date: May 20, 2021 19:32

CNN's Chris Cuomo called the new mask guidance "a mess" last night, while his brother Andrew Cuomo (the Governor of New York) was also critical:

Gov. Cuomo calls out White House, CDC over mask guidance ‘confusion’: report

Masks

Gov. Andrew Cuomo accused the Biden administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of blindsiding governors with last week’s guidance that vaccinated people can ditch masks in most settings, telling officials, “We had to scramble.” Details of the private call between the White House, Cuomo and other governors were tweeted out Tuesday by ABC News reporter Katherine Faulders. The CDC unveiled its updated guidance May 13, which stated that anyone who is fully vaccinated can “start doing the things that you had stopped doing because of the pandemic,” in the words of Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky. “Anyone who is fully vaccinated can participate in indoor and outdoor activities – large or small — without wearing a mask or physically distancing,” said Walensky, who added that the new guidance also applied to events like outdoor concerts and sporting events. The CDC also published a graphic showing that fully vaccinated people could go without masks at movie theaters, worship services and indoor restaurants and bars.

Despite the sweeping nature of the CDC guidance last Thursday, officials like Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio initially held back from following it. Cuomo, in conjunction with his counterparts in New Jersey and Connecticut, waited until Monday to announce that the state would lift most mask mandates beginning Wednesday. According to Faulders, Cuomo described the topic of masking as “sensitive” and told administration officials, including Walensky, that “we had to scramble and we didn’t really have the same uniformity of message that I think we’ve had up until now.” Cuomo also went on to claim that the announcement had “caused confusion” that led to a drop in the number of vaccinations. As of Tuesday, more than half of all New York state adults were fully vaccinated and 62 percent had received at least one dose, according to the Department of Health’s vaccination dashboard. Walensky defended the updated guidance and said it was not intended to convince people to get vaccinated, according to Faulders. In response to a separate question from North Carolina Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper, Walensky reportedly admitted that the CDC had yet to work out guidance on whether businesses and retailers should still mandate masks for employees and customers. Still, several big national and local retailers started dropping mask requirements after the guidance came out. The White House and Cuomo’s office did not immediately return requests for comment.

Biden’s CDC has come under fire for issuing confusing and contradictory guidance during the pandemic. On Monday, former Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams told CNN that the administration had made “an appropriate call” in issuing the revised guidance but “fumbled the ball at the one-yard line in terms of communicating this to the public.” “It was a little bit of whiplash for the American public in terms of them saying just a week before, ‘Keep your mask on’ and then all of sudden they’re saying, ‘Now you can take them off,'” Adams said. A Republican governor, Pete Ricketts of Nebraska, told Fox News that he found out about the new guidance “in the news, just like the general public did,” and called for “better communication” from both the White House and CDC.

Date: May 20, 2021 20:32

MisterDDDD
treaclefingers
MisterDDDD

Don't care.

This is not an unknown about the variants, and the vaccines ability to adapt to variants was a key factor in revising the mask guidance etc.

As for the data that immune compromised don't get adequate protection, which is incomplete, the concern there isn't for the vaccinated, but for themselves.
Wear the N-95's, don't go to public events etc etc., may be a reality for them for a bit while the science catches up, but undoubtably it will catch up.

As the CDC has stated, the mask guidance revision was due to several factors- Included in that is the vaccines ability to fight the mutant strains, either by itself or with boosters.
Additionally, Vaccinated people can't pass enough of the virus to the unvaccinated to get people seriously ill, and vice-versa.
Advancing treatments for those that get the virus will also be another game changer for those that get it in the near future.

The sky isn't falling despite all the chicken-littles constantly screaming that it could.

You could totally be right. But the sky does start falling the week that the mandate is dropped...that will happen in 3 weeks if it does, so time will tell if there is a new resurgence in response. I'm not saying that I know, and I know other jurisdictions are proceeding a bit more cautiously.

Date: May 20, 2021 20:53

jbwelda

jb

“I didn’t want to look like I was giving mixed signals,” he told “Good Morning America.” “But being a fully vaccinated person, the chances of my getting infected in an indoor setting is extremely low.” In other words, lying.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 20, 2021 21:02

treaclefingers
MisterDDDD
treaclefingers
MisterDDDD

Don't care.

You could totally be right. But the sky does start falling the week that the mandate is dropped...that will happen in 3 weeks if it does, so time will tell if there is a new resurgence in response. I'm not saying that I know, and I know other jurisdictions are proceeding a bit more cautiously.
It's a big roll of the dice and if I was a betting man in Vegas I would clean up .

Date: May 20, 2021 21:08

bleedingman
jbwelda

jb

“I didn’t want to look like I was giving mixed signals,” he told “Good Morning America.” “But being a fully vaccinated person, the chances of my getting infected in an indoor setting is extremely low.” In other words, lying.

Had to wait for the scientific data from the CDC to be 100% conclusive.
That's called waiting.

Date: May 20, 2021 21:23

MisterDDDD
bleedingman
jbwelda

jb

Had to wait for the scientific data from the CDC to be 100% conclusive.
That's called waiting.

That's not what he said. He could have said that but he didn't. And as we've seen from above posts, the CDC has been all over the map on masks.

"You're telling everybody to wear a mask, whether they've had an infection or a vaccine," Paul said to Fauci, who is director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. "If people that have had the vaccine or have had the infection ... if we're not spreading the infection, isn't it just theater?" Paul asked.

"Here we go again with the theater. Let's get down to the facts," Fauci replied. "Let me just state for the record that masks are not theater. Masks are protective."

"You've been vaccinated and you parade around in two masks for show," responded Paul, who is an ophthalmologist. "You want people to get the vaccine, give them a reward instead of telling them that the nanny state is going to be there for three more years and you got to wear a mask forever. People don't want to hear it."

"I totally disagree with you," Fauci said. [www.cnn.com]

And if you want to go back, remember this beaut?

Date: May 20, 2021 21:31

Not seeing the lie that you so desperately want to hang your hat on son.

And frankly, it isn't relevant. Giving the best info until more is known, data collected, theories proven or disproven, is what was needed.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...246247248249250251252253254255256...LastNext
Current Page: 251 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home