Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...235236237238239240241242243244245...LastNext
Current Page: 240 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 3, 2021 18:01

Irix
Germany's Oktoberfest, the world’s largest beer festival held every year in Munich, will not take place in 2021 (18 Sep. - 3 Oct.) due to the coronavirus crisis - [www.DW.com] .

Wow seems pretty early to make that decision.Would enough people in Germany not be vaccinated by then to make it a safe event.

Nate

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 3, 2021 18:15

Nate

Wow seems pretty early to make that decision. Would enough people in Germany not be vaccinated by then to make it a safe event.

The Minister-President of Bavaria and the Mayor of Munich justified the decisions with the unforeseeable development of the infection figures. Safe implementation with hygiene measures such as masks is not realistic. In case of a later cancellation, there's a risk of even greater economic damage - [www.Zeit.de] - (in German). The Oktoberfest brings usually in 6 million visitors from all corners of the globe and dates back ca. 200 years - [www.DW.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-03 18:25 by Irix.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: May 3, 2021 19:50

Jabbed like Jagger campaign

KITCHENER -- THEMUSEUM in downtown Kitchener says it will offer free admission to people who have proof of receiving a COVID-19 vaccine this summer.

The campaign, called JabbedLikeJagger, was inspired by Rolling Stones' frontman Mick Jagger. Officials said Jagger has spoken about the benefits of vaccinations in the last few weeks.

THEMUSEUM will host the Canadian premier of Rolling Stones | UNZIPPED in November 2021.
[themuseum.ca]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 3, 2021 20:06

Startling news to read - from the WHO Director-General via AXIOS:

WHO: More COVID-19 cases reported in last 2 weeks than in first 6 months of pandemic

Coronavirus

The number of global coronavirus cases reported in the last two weeks eclipses the first six months of the pandemic, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Monday.
Why it matters: It underscores the severity of the current wave of infections in India, which surpassed 400,000 cases for the first time over the weekend, as well as a record-high number of deaths, per data from Johns Hopkins University. India and Brazil make up more than half of last week's cases, according to WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, but many other countries all over the world "face a very fragile situation." "What’s happening in India and Brazil could happen elsewhere unless we all take these public health precautions that WHO has been calling for since the beginning of the pandemic," Tedros said, urging everyone to follow safety measures. "Vaccines are part of the answer, but they are not the only answer."

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 3, 2021 20:44

Testing is much more widespread now than during the first six months of the pandemic.Having said that the situation in some places around the world right now is extremely grim.

Nate

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 3, 2021 20:59

More and more countries are or will be requiring a vaccine passport or proof.
Bring it on I say.

Vaccine Passports on the Way, Canadian Health Minister Says
Canada is working to provide vaccine certificates or passports for Canadians, the Trudeau government says.

In a weekend interview with CBC Radio, federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu said Ottawa will make sure such certificates are in place so Canadians can travel internationally.

“Canadians are going to want to travel and, just like there have been changes in other kinds of travel requirements over the years as a result of a number of events, Canadians need to be prepared to be able to travel internationally. And we'll make sure that they are," Hajdu said.

“Canadians need to be able to have the right kind of certification for international travel because, as we know, Canadians will want to travel internationally, and they will want to make sure they have the right credentials to do that from a vaccination perspective,” she said.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last week said that vaccine certificates are “naturally to be expected when it comes to this pandemic and the coronavirus.

Many countries have said they'll be providing some kind of vaccination passport or inoculation certificate that will allow governments to know who’s been vaccinated against COVID-19. The European Union recently said it will open to vaccinated Americans, and it appears that courtesy also will be extended to Canadians at some stage.

"I would say that our goal is to open the borders as soon as possible … when it is safe to do so, safe for Europeans and safe for visitors from other countries, including from Canada," EU Ambassador to Canada Melita Gabric told CBC’s The House.

A recent Ipsos poll found strong support in Canada for the idea of people needing to show a vaccine certificate to enter the country. Almost eight in ten Canadians (78%) agreed with the idea, with 56% saying they strongly support the idea, and 21% saying they “somewhat” support it. That’s exactly the same as the global average, Ipsos said.

Trudeau has talked about using vaccine passports for travel but appears to be agains the idea of following the lead of countries such as Israel, which allows access to some public facilities only for those with proof of vaccination.

The Ipsos survey found that 61% of Canadians support the idea that only people who have been vaccinated should be allowed to do things that involve larger groups of people, such as taking a light or attending cultural and sports events. By contrast, 39% of Canadians feel that limiting activities only to those who have been vaccinated is unfair to those who are ineligible, are waiting for a vaccine or choose not to be vaccinated.
[ca.travelpulse.com]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 3, 2021 21:10

Then you have the stupidity that is American. Fake vaccine certificates. I guess this would be called oroof of stupidity.

[www.cbsnews.com]

Date: May 3, 2021 23:58

Fake vaccine certificates...jeez...I'd bet some diehard anti-vaxxers who really want to see their favorite band live, will go this route if indeed certificates are required.
And then there's all the other places that will require certificates if they don;t already...planes, sporting events, amusement parks, colleges and universities, and the list goes on and on.
If this becomes prevalent, can't imagine things ever getting back to "normal" unless the virus mutates in to a harmless speck and eventually evolves/disappears in to nothing,
There ought to be a hefty prison sentence for those behind making these forgeries, and for those who obtain them for use, there should be a massive fine and/or jail time.

*edit - must be one of those days...posting in a hurry half way out the door...lots of spelling errors, added thoughts, etc. for a total of four edits!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-04 00:55 by Hairball.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 4, 2021 00:02

daspyknows
Then you have the stupidity that is American. Fake vaccine certificates. I guess this would be called oroof of stupidity.

[www.cbsnews.com]

It's all about the benjamins - PT Barnum (true father of the country)

Date: May 4, 2021 00:45

As early as this week, Pfizer may get FDA approval for 12-16 year olds.
Have a 15 yo that will be as close to the front of the line as I can get her.

FDA to authorize Pfizer vaccine for children ages 12-15 as early as this week

"In the Pandemic, more children could soon be in line to get a COVID-19 vaccine. The FDA could soon approve use of Pfizer's two dose vaccine in kids over the age of 12.

Right now Pfizer is the only shot approved for people 16 and older.

Doctors say those shots for children will likely be administered in locations where they'll be easily accessable such as Pediatric offices.
[www.wdio.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 4, 2021 00:47

MisterDDDD

"In the Pandemic, more children could soon be in line to get a COVID-19 vaccine. The FDA could soon approve use of Pfizer's two dose vaccine in kids over the age of 12.

Doctors say those shots for children will likely be administered in locations where they'll be easily accessable such as Pediatric offices.
[www.wdio.com]

Good news. In Canada Pfizer's also made an application for that age range. Their prediction 5-11 year olds by end of summer.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 4, 2021 02:37

Lien
Jabbed like Jagger campaign

KITCHENER -- THEMUSEUM in downtown Kitchener says it will offer free admission to people who have proof of receiving a COVID-19 vaccine this summer.../

Hmmm...how many times? grinning smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 4, 2021 02:57

treaclefingers
MisterDDDD

[www.wdio.com]

Good news. In Canada Pfizer's also made an application for that age range. Their prediction 5-11 year olds by end of summer.

5-11 year old?...... are they getting sick too of covid?.................. and what about 0-4 years old?

Pfizer's also made an application for that age range.... Pfizer's will be filthy rich if this pandemic will be over.

Normally I won't react on this thread.....but I couldn't resist this one....

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 4, 2021 04:03

treaclefingers
MisterDDDD

[www.wdio.com]

Why would anyone have their children take the shot when children, for the most part, are not at risk of dying?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 4, 2021 04:13

1) Children grow up
2) Children may spread the virus, asymptomatically, to those who are at risk of getting sick and dying and amongst themselves

Date: May 4, 2021 04:47

One good thing about someone asking why a parent would get their kids vaccinated.
They've clearly never procreated.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 4, 2021 17:59

bleedingman
treaclefingers
MisterDDDD

[www.wdio.com]

Why would anyone have their children take the shot when children, for the most part, are not at risk of dying?

For the same reason they get measles vaccines and a variety of others. Chicken Pox is not a deadly disease but there is a vaccine for that too. As a good parent, if a vaccine is available that will prevent illness and in rare cases death (yes children have died) most will chose the vaccine, especially if schools require or strongly encourage it.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 4, 2021 18:06

daspyknows
bleedingman
treaclefingers
MisterDDDD

[www.wdio.com]

For the same reason they get measles vaccines and a variety of others. Chicken Pox is not a deadly disease but there is a vaccine for that too. As a good parent, if a vaccine is available that will prevent illness and in rare cases death (yes children have died) most will chose the vaccine, especially if schools require or strongly encourage it.

You have to weigh the odds. What's the chance of me dying from a vaccine rather than the disease it's supposed to prevent? People just seem to accept deaths from disease but soon as 1 irregularity surfaces with a vaccine despite 100s of millions of doses given, many overreact.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 4, 2021 19:12

If you get drunk and drive your car then it is illegal. Not because you might kill yourself, but because you might kill others as well.

Same with vaccine. It is there not just to protect yourself, but also to protect your friends, your family, your parents, and everyone you love, plus other people in general.

Bjornulf

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 4, 2021 19:19

bv
If you get drunk and drive your car then it is illegal. Not because you might kill yourself, but because you might kill others as well.

Same with vaccine. It is there not just to protect yourself, but also to protect your friends, your family, your parents, and everyone you love, plus other people in general.

Amen, brother. Selfish people don't care.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 4, 2021 20:15

bv

100% wholeheartedly agree. I've had my 2nd jab (Oxford Astra Zeneca) and feel better than when I had the first jab. Anyone that declines a jab is selfish. Go for it, guys.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 4, 2021 20:17

PS: re jabs, any music fans out there owe it to the likes of Fiona Prine, who lost John Prine to this insidious virus, to get the jab when offered to them.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 4, 2021 20:26

The rich countries do have access to vaccine, and they will probably have the virus under control within 3-6 months time. Then we have to live with the rest of the world being a constant source of new variants until they too are protected with vaccine. I think 2022 will be a lot better than 2021 for most of the world, but just like India is completely out of control now, who knows how the next major variant will be like.

Bjornulf

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 4, 2021 23:19

bv
The rich countries do have access to vaccine, and they will probably have the virus under control within 3-6 months time. Then we have to live with the rest of the world being a constant source of new variants until they too are protected with vaccine. I think 2022 will be a lot better than 2021 for most of the world, but just like India is completely out of control now, who knows how the next major variant will be like.

Yes, out of control now, but how are they going to control 1,3 billion people ever? Ultimately maybe 300 million (middle and upper class) maybe end up like "us" in the western world, all vaccinated, but then there's still 1 billion others. And we have little reliable info on surrounding countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh with hundreds of millions of mostly poor people. Already they are running out of wood to burn the deaths ... places like Europe will maybe end up as "islands", like Australia and New Zealand to keep the mutants out ... I'm a natural optimist, but this doesn't look good ...

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 4, 2021 23:35

tomcasagranda
bv

100% wholeheartedly agree. I've had my 2nd jab (Oxford Astra Zeneca) and feel better than when I had the first jab. Anyone that declines a jab is selfish. Go for it, guys.

My wife, kid, and myself planned on getting vaccinated to protect the extended family including my 80 year old mother, unfortunately we all got Covid before the vaccination was available to us we believe from my 80 year old mother (who didn't even know she had it). We still all got vaccinated, I had a rough go with the virus and sure don't want it again.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 4, 2021 23:47

georgie48
bv

Yes, out of control now, but how are they going to control 1,3 billion people ever? Ultimately maybe 300 million (middle and upper class) maybe end up like "us" in the western world, all vaccinated, but then there's still 1 billion others. And we have little reliable info on surrounding countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh with hundreds of millions of mostly poor people. Already they are running out of wood to burn the deaths ... places like Europe will maybe end up as "islands", like Australia and New Zealand to keep the mutants out ... I'm a natural optimist, but this doesn't look good ...

Build walls to protect us from the poor unvaccinated masses

Date: May 5, 2021 00:10

georgie48
bv

Yes, completely out of control, and it's unsettling to think about it too much.

And then there's those who will have the phony vaccination certificates (already making the rounds) who will infiltrate the safe virus-free "islands" spreading the mutations to one and all...
Sounds like a horrible futuristic science fiction movie, but it could actually get even more bizarre than that.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 5, 2021 00:20

THE AUSTRALIAN --- 5 May 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 5, 2021 00:30

WOW man reusing swabs !!!!!
..... what a low act ....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 5, 2021 00:43

From CNN relating to hesitancy in the US, and how the President hopes to address the issue:

Biden recognizes it will be hard to convince everyone to get vaccinated
From CNN's Jason Hoffman

President Biden recognized it will be hard to convince all Americans to get vaccinated, however he said he hopes those individuals will be convinced to do so by recognizing the risk they pose to others if they don’t get the vaccine. “We know we're going to get to a place where the doubters exist or the people who just are, I don't want to say lazy, just not sure how to get to where they want to go. It's going to be hard,” Biden said responding to a question on how difficult the next phase of the country’s vaccination efforts will be. “We're going to keep at it. And I think the end of the day, most people will be convinced by the fact that their failure to get the vaccine may cause other people to get sick and maybe die,” he added. Biden said it’s beyond his personal control to convince all Americans to get the vaccine, whereas the logistical effort in creating vaccine supply was something he controlled, which is why this new phase will be harder. Asked if the administration was looking into requiring vaccines in order for Americans to do certain things if people remain resistant to getting vaccinated, Biden said his focus is on getting effective spokespeople to reach out to those communities that are hesitant. Earlier on Tuesday, the White House announced that nearly $250 million will be awarded to state, territorial, and select large city governments to power their next phase of outreach efforts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-05 01:25 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...235236237238239240241242243244245...LastNext
Current Page: 240 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1501
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home