Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...234235236237238239240241242243244...LastNext
Current Page: 239 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 30, 2021 07:37

If it's public credit he or his supporters crave, they've already gotten it.
Biden publicly attributed and thanked him when he got his vaccine.

The administration has credited "Warped Speed" numerous times.
As do I, fwiw, I received my first shot days after the new administration took office.

That said, if more public acknowledgment of his or his administrations actions or lack of actions are needed, I'm all for it.
Biden, and everyone should continue to speak out on the facts to make certain we don't forget.

Damning analysis of Trump's pandemic response suggested 40% of US COVID-19 deaths could have been avoided

About 40% of US COVID-19 deaths "could have been averted," a new analysis of President Donald Trump's public-health policies found.

The report, published by the Lancet Commission, excoriated Trump's handling of the pandemic and general approach to public health. "He expedited the spread of COVID-19 in the US," the authors wrote.

"Many of the cases and deaths were avoidable," they said, adding that "instead of galvanizing the US populace to fight the pandemic, President Trump publicly dismissed its threat (despite privately acknowledging it), discouraged action as infection spread, and eschewed international cooperation."
[www.businessinsider.com]

'Blood on his hands': As US surpasses 400,000 COVID-19 deaths, experts blame Trump administration for a 'preventable' loss of life

Besides being the first president to get impeached twice, Donald Trump will have a stain on his legacy with arguably longer-lasting consequences: He's the only American leader in a century with more than 400,000 deaths from one event on his watch.
Many public health experts and historians blame the Trump administration for the extent of the COVID-19 devastation.

“What’s so troubling about this loss of life is it was preventable,” said Dr. Steven Woolf, director emeritus of the Center on Society and Health at Virginia Commonwealth University. “This is an infectious disease we knew how to prevent, and as difficult as it is, far easier to solve than defeating Nazi Germany. And yet, we did not mount a response to wage war against this virus as we have in these other situations.”
[www.usatoday.com]

Trump White House COVID-19 coordinator Deborah Birx says most deaths could have been avoided
Former White House coronavirus response coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx said most coronavirus deaths in the United States were avoidable, during a CNN interview for a documentary scheduled to air Sunday.

In an excerpt from "Covid War: The Pandemic Doctors Speak Out," Birx said that while many deaths in the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic were likely inevitable, the lethality of later waves could have been greatly reduced if the U.S. had "mitigated earlier ... paused earlier and actually done" greater social distancing and shutdown measures.

"I look at it this way," Birx told CNN's Chief Medical Correspondent Sanjay Gupta. "The first time, we have an excuse. There were about 100,000 deaths that came from that original surge. All of the rest of them, in my mind, could have been mitigated or decreased substantially."
[www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 30, 2021 08:21

Interesting story about hesitancy and skepticism from Napa Valley in Northern California. Some sound a bit wacky, while some seem to have legitimate concerns.
I hear a lot of the same things from many people down here in SoCal - people from all walks of life with a variety of political beliefs, and racial backgrounds (Latino, Black, Asian, White, etc.).
Thankfully everyone in my family and close friends are either vaccinated already, half way there, or are planning to asap, but there's so many others who are still on the fence for whatever reason. Or antivax completely.

These Napa residents decline COVID-19 vaccine — at least for now
From the April 29

Vaccine

Thousands of Napans have happily bared their arms to get vaccinated against COVID-19, but some locals won’t be rolling up their sleeves for the shot just yet, if at all. For a variety of reasons, these residents have chosen not to be immunized. “I’ve always been on the fence about it,” said Joe Molina, age 56, about getting the shot. “I’m not anti-vaxxer,” said Molina, “But I like to have a lot more information” before getting immunized. Molina said he’s concerned about possible adverse effects from the vaccine. And besides that, “I’m healthy. I don’t hardly ever go to the doctor.” He’s not worried about getting COVID-19, he said. “Not at all. Because I take care of myself. I wear my mask. I wash my hands diligently. I don’t believe in freaking out about COVID. I’m taking what precautions I can. I’m not afraid of it.” He’s not one to tell anyone how to live, said Molina. In his opinion, “It’s everybody’s responsibility to make up their own mind” about getting the shot.

Napan Hugh Winters said doesn’t plan on getting immunized because he had COVID-19 back in November, and therefore he believes he doesn’t need the vaccine. He’s also skeptical about the actual vaccines. “The thing is that the vaccines were created months ago,” said Winters. “Now there are variants” to the virus. He wonders if the vaccines work on today’s variants. According to the CDC website, people “should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19. That's because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19.” Given that information, would Winters consider getting the shot? “Possibly,” he said. He thinks the CDC and the medical community is “erring on the side of caution,” said Winters. “It might be one thing if I had kids in school or if I had a serious health condition, which I don’t. I just don’t think I need it.” When people ask if Winters has been immunized, “I just say ‘I’ve already had COVID, I don’t need a vaccine.’ Some people want to argue about it but they don’t really know anything.”

A Napan named Walter is another local who won’t be getting vaccinated. Walter asked that his last name not be used in this story. “We live in a world of cancel culture,” said Walter. He wouldn’t want his views to paint him in a bad light or affect his family, he said. Walter explained his decision. “There’s no long-term studies” about these new vaccines, he said. “It’s rational to be concerned.” “This vaccine is essentially untested,” he said. In fact, “I’m concerned for everyone who’s taken it.” Besides that, COVID-19 has a high survivability rate and he is healthy, Walter said. “I’m in great shape, I don’t smoke, I’m not at risk,” he said. According to him, “The devil you know is better than the devil you don’t. There’s too many firsts for this one.” What kind of reaction is Walter getting from his friends or family about his decision? “You’d be surprised at how many people are looking at this the same way (and) at how many people who are not signing up for this because it’s experimental,” said Walter. “This is all unchartered territory.”

A Napan named Ann, who is in her 80s, said she isn’t getting the vaccine either. Ann asked that her last name not be used because she didn’t want to embarrass people in her family by going public with her decision. Yes, the vaccines have been approved by the FDA for emergency use, “but it’s not gone through all the steps it usually goes through,” she said. Ann has questions about these new vaccines. “How often are we going to need it? How long does it last?” “I’m not against vaccines,” said Ann. “I just don’t trust this one yet.” She knows that some disagree with her decision. “It’s dammed if you do, damned if you don’t.” “I think I might as well take my chances,” she said. For now, “I’m going to hide and watch,” what happens. “I’m not doing much stuff anyway,” said Ann. “My traveling days are over. I’m not hopping on an airplane. I will wear a mask when I go out. I’m as careful as I can be.”

Holly Rogers of St. Helena is abstaining from the COVID-19 immunization, but not by choice. “I want to but I can’t,” said Rogers. She has prior health conditions and is waiting for clearance from an immunologist or allergist first. If she gets the OK from her doctors, she will get the shot, said Rogers. “Absolutely.” Until then, “I’m stuck being the only unvaccinated person making everyone else have to wear masks” and other protections, she said.

Dr. Karen Relucio, Napa County’s Public Health Officer, said she’s heard some of the arguments against vaccination before. According to Relucio, the COVID-19 vaccines are safe. “The government is monitoring the effects of these vaccines,” she said. For example, as soon as the Johnson & Johnson vaccine was thought to create blood clots in some people, “the federal government put a pause on it,” said Relucio. “We haven’t heard of any long-term side effects from these vaccines in Napa County,” said Relucio. In fact, “There are far more people that have long-term side effects from COVID-19 than the vaccines.” She echoed the CDC’s advice about getting vaccinated even if you already had COVID-19.“We know that the virus that causes COVID-19 has a lot of mutations. There is a chance you can get reinfection and possibly complicated disease as a result,” said Relucio. Yes, the vaccines we have available today were developed months ago, but “we’ve had far less hospitalizations and deaths and cut our outbreaks,” significantly since the vaccines were implemented," she said. “We know they still work," Reluccio said. “It’s understandable that people may be afraid to use a vaccine that is under emergency use authorization but at the end of the day we are seeing the positive effects of the vaccinations,” said the doctor. “Our hospitalizations and deaths have decreased. Our outbreaks have decreased.”

To achieve herd immunity, “we all have to do our part,” said Relucio. Napa County estimates that 75% to 80% of resident will need to be vaccinated to achieve virtual herd immunity. As of early this week, 40% of residents had been fully vaccinated. “It’s not just about you, it’s about the people who are more vulnerable,” Relucio said. By getting immunized, “you are protecting those people. You are allowing the economy to open up by increasing community immunity. It’s allowing people to get jobs and children back to school full time. To allow our essential workers to be protected and to not bring home COVID to their families. It’s a collective responsibility on multiple fronts.” “These vaccines are one of the tools in the toolbox to get us out of the pandemic,” she said. “It’s a safe and effective way to prevent COVID-19 disease, hospitalizations, and deaths.”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-30 08:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 30, 2021 09:36

THE AUSTRALIAN ---- 30 April 2021

ROCKMAN

Date: April 30, 2021 09:51

The Australian -- 30 April 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 30, 2021 13:11

Good story, Rockman!
It sums up several key facts that were bound to have an impact on the overall situation in China.
I first visited China in 1981 and, while visiting Beijing and standing on the Tian An Men square, I said to my wife "imagine this country when all those bycicles will be replaced by cars!". We came back to China in 2001 and yes ... cars all over the place. Total traffic chaos. Traffic lights we there just for fun (how nice those changing colours).
I still have great memories of meeting (and sometimes primitively talking to) so many Chinese people all over the country and my heart cried in 1989.
In 2003 I came again to Beijing (things were not any better) but missed out on The Rolling Stones due to the SARS issue.
These days, when I read the figures I wonder how many Chinese people have really died from Covid-19. I am afraid that its numbers are far more higher than officially reported. People suffer in silence.sad smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: April 30, 2021 14:34

I feel a little "beat up" today, after getting my second jab yesterday. But the pains are fading now. Nice to know that there is an immune system there still, and that those white cells are holding the fort.

I'm ready to rock AND to see other people rock - as soon as possible thumbs up

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 30, 2021 15:49

Great news Bård, so glad you’re jabbed and getting itchy to play!

Date: April 30, 2021 19:56

Similar to the experiment in Spain that was posted in the tour thread, from CNN:

UK rave experiment without masks or social distancing will test how events may be able to reopen

From CNN's Chloe Adams

British music fans will gather by the thousands on Friday at a live music event without face masks or social distancing, as part of the government’s Events Research Program (ERP). The event will provide scientific data to help officials determine how nightclubs and events might return to the UK this summer, according to a government notice The "First Dance" event will be hosted in a specially converted warehouse near the docks in the northern English city of Liverpool and will feature live music acts including Fatboy Slim and Jayda G, according to the city council. Those living in the area can apply for tickets online and would need a negative result to enter the event. Partiers are advised to take another test five days after the event. Normal coronavirus restrictions, like social distancing, will apply to attendees until they enter the event. While England has eased some restrictions – including allowing outdoor dining from April 12 – large indoor events are still banned.

Yousef Zahar – a DJ and founder of the nightclub hosting the event – said he couldn’t wait to see the dance floor erupt for the first time after nightclubs were closed fourteen months ago. Speaking on BBC radio Friday morning, Zahar said the event was going to be “monumental” and the response on social media had been encouraging. “The overwhelming reaction is disbelief, people are really excited that they can come and have a dance,” Zahar said. The city’s Director of Culture, Claire McColgan, said, “This hasn’t been an easy process, and it’s particularly hard as the night time sector hasn’t been open for over a year,” according to a statement from Liverpool council. The experiment will see revelers enjoy an outdoor music event at Sefton Park in Liverpool on Sunday, with The BRIT Awards, London also welcoming a live audience to its annual UK music industry awards show on May11.

--------------------------------------

And from the BBC:

Covid: UK clubbers return to Liverpool for trial night

Rave

UK clubbers have returned to the dance floor for the first time since the pandemic began, as part of trials to see how venues can reopen.

Some 6,000 partygoers are expected at a warehouse in Liverpool across a two-day event that started on Friday. Ticket-holders don't need to socially distance or wear face coverings, but they'll need a negative Covid test result before being allowed in. Liverpool is also set to host the UK's first restriction-free gig since Covid. Circus's The First Dance club nights, which are part of a series of government trials on crowd safety during Covid, are at the Bramley-Moore Dock warehouse. Sven Väth, the Blessed Madonna and Jayda G are all performing on Friday night. Fatboy Slim is headlining on Saturday.

Coronavirus has crippled the nightclub industry, with a recent report finding UK clubs have been forced to make 51% of their staff redundant since last year. In comparison, bars and pubs have axed 32% and 25% of their workers respectively. Clubs will have been closed for 15 months by June, when it is hoped all legal restrictions on social contact will be lifted in England. Scientists are using this weekend's event to look at whether crowds mixing and dancing indoors increases transmission of the virus.Public health expert Prof Iain Buchan, who is leading the research, tells Newsbeat his team will use carbon dioxide monitors to detect "pockets of stale air" in the venue. There will be also be small cameras for the scientists to monitor people's movements. Prof Buchan says a key question the trial event needs to answer is: "With all of those measures in place, do people still enjoy themselves?" "That's a really important part of making these events sustainable," he says.

Those attending the club nights must have a negative Covid test result from a lateral flow test within 24 hours of the start of the event. The test cannot be done at home but instead must be carried out at a local testing centre. This is because the government wants to look at the role these centres could play as big events return. Partygoers will also be encouraged to take a PCR test five days after their night out, to make sure any spread of the virus is properly monitored. Only those living in the Liverpool City Region and showing no sign of Covid symptoms were eligible to apply for tickets. Jade Edwards is one of those with a ticket. The 28-year-old barista from Liverpool tells Newsbeat she feels "emotional" that her hometown has been given the opportunity to host a trial event. Jade says it's been two years since she properly went clubbing. "I'm excited to see Yousef... it's going to be one to remember," she adds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-30 20:06 by Hairball.

Date: April 30, 2021 20:07

DandelionPowderman
I feel a little "beat up" today, after getting my second jab yesterday. But the pains are fading now. Nice to know that there is an immune system there still, and that those white cells are holding the fort.

I'm ready to rock AND to see other people rock - as soon as possible thumbs up

smileys with beer

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 30, 2021 20:46

It really flipping sucks to have Covid-19. The symptoms are still there, and a few new ones arrive every day. I lost my taste yesterday. We were eating lasagna for dinner and I couldn’t taste anything.
I hope it goes away.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 30, 2021 20:59

JumpingKentFlash
It really flipping sucks to have Covid-19. The symptoms are still there, and a few new ones arrive every day. I lost my taste yesterday. We were eating lasagna for dinner and I couldn’t taste anything.
I hope it goes away.

Get well soon JKF!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 30, 2021 22:05

JumpingKentFlash
I hope it goes away.

I know. Get well soon. Too bad not enough people understand this,

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: May 1, 2021 03:24

This vaccine hesitancy is difficult for me to understand, but this article interviewed a number of people in rural Tennessee about their reasons for not getting vaccinated.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 1, 2021 03:49

The plague has hit Everest base camp, one person evacuated the remainder nervous.

You have respiratory distress at 20k, you got problems.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-01 03:50 by jbwelda.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 1, 2021 05:20

Dandelion Powderman, good to hear about the pains fading and the urge to rock growing!

Jumping Kent Flash, sorry you have Covid. It's no joke.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 1, 2021 11:32

JumpingKentFlash
I hope it goes away.

Feel better soon!

Date: May 1, 2021 23:09

JadedFaded
This vaccine hesitancy is difficult for me to understand, but this article interviewed a number of people in rural Tennessee about their reasons for not getting vaccinated.

[www.nytimes.com]

As a Tennessee resident, I can assure you the stereotypes of Tennesseans are painfully accurate, when thinking of small, rural towns: rebel flags, racism, sexism, homophobia, low intelligence, poor, right-wing, Christian. These people are more unlikely to wear masks and/or get the vaccine.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 2, 2021 04:08

NashvilleBlues
bv
I just do not understand the anti vaccine attitude some people do have. I have been six times to Africa during the past 10-12 years. There is yellow fever, malaria, hepatitis A, B, C, cholera, and a number of other diseases. These diseases will kill you, or make your body seriously messed up, unless you take vaccines and proper drugs. So I did everything the vaccine experts said, my vaccine card is pretty packed, like expected when you travel the world for The Rolling Stones, or for other reasons. Vaccine is simply a natural way of protecting yourself, as well as others, and to make life easier.

Never underestimate the number of unintelligent people out there. I live in Tennessee. I work in a school where the school nurse refuses to get the vaccine...

Is there a reason she gives? I know of doctors where I live that say avoid the Astra Zeneca, but they don't give any real reasons as to why.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 2, 2021 10:54

I don't think vaccine resistance is a matter of being smart or not. Some do not want any needle into their body of religious reasons. Others think they are perfectly healthy, and they do not see any reason for having any vaccine. This is all a matter of information and trust.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 2, 2021 11:54

bv
I don't think vaccine resistance is a matter of being smart or not. Some do not want any needle into their body of religious reasons. Others think they are perfectly healthy, and they do not see any reason for having any vaccine. This is all a matter of information and trust.

Refusing a vaccine in the 21st century because of a belief in the supernatural is incredibly stupid.

Nate

Date: May 2, 2021 15:43

bv

Totally understand what you’re saying.

There are multiple ways a person can be intelligent. That’s where I’m coming from.

Who knows, we all could die from the vaccine next year. Based on the plethora of scientific evidence currently available, getting the vaccine seems like the smart, considerate thing to do.

My anti-redneck rant was more about closed-mindedness. And, if science disproves one’s religious beliefs, maybe they should reconsider their religious beliefs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-02 15:45 by NashvilleBlues.

Date: May 2, 2021 16:13

treaclefingers
NashvilleBlues
bv
I just do not understand the anti vaccine attitude some people do have. I have been six times to Africa during the past 10-12 years. There is yellow fever, malaria, hepatitis A, B, C, cholera, and a number of other diseases. These diseases will kill you, or make your body seriously messed up, unless you take vaccines and proper drugs. So I did everything the vaccine experts said, my vaccine card is pretty packed, like expected when you travel the world for The Rolling Stones, or for other reasons. Vaccine is simply a natural way of protecting yourself, as well as others, and to make life easier.

Never underestimate the number of unintelligent people out there. I live in Tennessee. I work in a school where the school nurse refuses to get the vaccine...

Is there a reason she gives? I know of doctors where I live that say avoid the Astra Zeneca, but they don't give any real reasons as to why.

We were offered Pfizer. She said it was because, although she doesn’t plan on having more kids, she is concerned about the possible impact on her future children. I didn’t dig deeper. Two weeks after she was eligible for the vaccine, she got covid.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 2, 2021 17:19

JadedFaded

[www.nytimes.com]

Semi-related:
Poll Shows Who's Most Resistant to Vaccine

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 2, 2021 20:03

kovach
JadedFaded

[www.nytimes.com]

Semi-related:

A study of those taking and refusing the vaccine in California. Interesting information that confirms politics rather than race is the primary driver in California. [www.sfgate.com]

Date: May 2, 2021 20:55

If current vaccination rates hold (they won't) we will reach herd immunity in the US by the end of July/early Aug.
(making a late summer early fall tour more than feasible).
Even with the number of vaccinations slowing due to the hesitancy etc., when you add in the number of people that have some immunity from catching the virus,
that will add enough to put us over the hump imo.

Ways to help get the vaxx-hesitant people to get the jab will also work I'm betting. States will likely follow other states examples and incentivize the shot- W Virginia is offering young people $100 savings bonds for ex. It may also take another stimulus check from the Feds, with a bonus for those vaccinated, as well.
As states reopen, incentivizing Americans to vaccinate against covid-19 is an urgent priority
[blogs.bmj.com]

Many companies are also requiring or paying employees to be vaccinated.
With all the things people won't be able to do if not vaccinated (fly, work,travel,concerts et al)
it will soon be a bigger pain than imagined and we will reach 75-80% fairly quickly I believe.

Date: May 3, 2021 09:48

THE AGE --- 3 May 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 3, 2021 13:47

daspyknows
kovach
JadedFaded

[www.nytimes.com]

Semi-related:

A study of those taking and refusing the vaccine in California. Interesting information that confirms politics rather than race is the primary driver in California. [www.sfgate.com]
No surprise for me reading this tidbit of info . Just as I expected it .

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 3, 2021 13:50

MisterDDDD
If current vaccination rates hold (they won't) we will reach herd immunity in the US by the end of July/early Aug.
(making a late summer early fall tour more than feasible).
Even with the number of vaccinations slowing due to the hesitancy etc., when you add in the number of people that have some immunity from catching the virus,
that will add enough to put us over the hump imo.

Ways to help get the vaxx-hesitant people to get the jab will also work I'm betting. States will likely follow other states examples and incentivize the shot- W Virginia is offering young people $100 savings bonds for ex. It may also take another stimulus check from the Feds, with a bonus for those vaccinated, as well.
As states reopen, incentivizing Americans to vaccinate against covid-19 is an urgent priority
[blogs.bmj.com]

Many companies are also requiring or paying employees to be vaccinated.
With all the things people won't be able to do if not vaccinated (fly, work,travel,concerts et al)
it will soon be a bigger pain than imagined and we will reach 75-80% fairly quickly I believe.
From you lips to Gods ears about another stimulus check/ incentive . I feel that will be a most heavy lift from Congress to get another round of stimulus checks ? I could be wrong ?

Date: May 3, 2021 14:54

With covid still wreaking havoc around the world - especially in India right now, the possibility of dangerous variants and mutations will continue to be a major threat.

"What I really worry about is that those people who are already on the fence don't get vaccinated, we don't reach herd immunity come the fall,
and then with the winter —because coronaviruses are winter respiratory viruses — we have a big resurgence, maybe we have variants coming in
from other countries. And we could start this whole process all over again," - CNN medical analyst Dr. Leana Wen, May 1, 2021

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 3, 2021 17:45

Germany's Oktoberfest, the world’s largest beer festival held every year in Munich, will not take place in 2021 (18 Sep. - 3 Oct.) due to the coronavirus pandemic - [www.DW.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-03 18:00 by Irix.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...234235236237238239240241242243244...LastNext
Current Page: 239 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1976
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home