Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...233234235236237238239240241242243...LastNext
Current Page: 238 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 28, 2021 21:27

I just do not understand the anti vaccine attitude some people do have. I have been six times to Africa during the past 10-12 years. There is yellow fever, malaria, hepatitis A, B, C, cholera, and a number of other diseases. These diseases will kill you, or make your body seriously messed up, unless you take vaccines and proper drugs. So I did everything the vaccine experts said, my vaccine card is pretty packed, like expected when you travel the world for The Rolling Stones, or for other reasons. Vaccine is simply a natural way of protecting yourself, as well as others, and to make life easier.

Bjornulf

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 28, 2021 21:53

bv
I just do not understand the anti vaccine attitude some people do have. I have been six times to Africa during the past 10-12 years. There is yellow fever, malaria, hepatitis A, B, C, cholera, and a number of other diseases. These diseases will kill you, or make your body seriously messed up, unless you take vaccines and proper drugs. So I did everything the vaccine experts said, my vaccine card is pretty packed, like expected when you travel the world for The Rolling Stones, or for other reasons. Vaccine is simply a natural way of protecting yourself, as well as others, and to make life easier.

Never underestimate the number of unintelligent people out there. I live in Tennessee. I work in a school where the school nurse refuses to get the vaccine...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-28 21:54 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 28, 2021 21:57

bv

Boggles the mind how political partisanship has played such a role in this, at least in the US.
Stems from a "leader" calling it a "hoax" and his followers then circling the wagon, either believing him, or pretending to out of political spite.

Insane, really.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 28, 2021 22:00

NashvilleBlues
bv

Never underestimate the number of unintelligent people out there. I live in Tennessee. I work in a school where the school nurse refuses to get the vaccine...

Yep, I think NB answers BV's thoughts on the anti vaccine attitude. I've been to 81 countries and I always sought out Travel Doctors. Lots of vaccines, and soon I am hitting the road again, this time with Moderna.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 29, 2021 00:56

NashvilleBlues
bv

I meet many people throughout the day and night via my studio and the neighboring businesses (pizza joint, brewery/restaurant, etc), and the conversations sometimes detour to the state of the pandemic.
I've met quite a few people from all walks of life who are either hesitant and skeptical, or flat out anti-vax. There's young, middle-aged, old, people of varying different political leanings, or no political leanings at all...
There's varying racial backgrounds, left, right, center, etc. etc., etc. etc., etc. It's impossible to stereotype the anti-vaxxers in to one group - at least from my personal experience, but they're quite numerous which is a bit disturbing. Hard to imagine reaching the 75-80% immunity goal the way things are going, and could be if we ever do get close, there will be an entirely new/different mutation that has to be dealt with....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 29, 2021 01:44

Related to the hesitancy situation in the US - from CNN:

Some experts say new CDC guidelines are too cautious. Here's why that matters with vaccine hesitancy
By Christina Maxouris, CNN

Hesitancy

In its gradual return to normal, the US took another step forward this week.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued new guidance Tuesday on the activities fully vaccinated Americans can safely enjoy without a mask. The agency said fully vaccinated people can unmask at small outdoor gatherings or when dining outside with friends from multiple households -- activities the CDC said require unvaccinated people to still wear a mask. But some experts say the new guidance is too cautious and doesn't offer a strong enough incentive for Americans who still are on the fence about getting a shot or who may have already been unmasking in those settings. "It doesn't go far enough," Dr. Jonathan Reiner, professor of medicine and surgery at George Washington University, told CNN on Tuesday night. "What it doesn't really underscore for Americans is what the CDC knows, which is that these vaccines induce immunity." About 43% of the US population has received at least one Covid-19 vaccine dose, CDC data shows and more than 29% of the population is fully vaccinated. The CDC defines fully vaccinated people as those who are at least two weeks past their second Pfizer or Moderna vaccine dose or at least two weeks past the single Johnson & Johnson shot. "If you tell people that you can do just about anything if you are vaccinated, that is telling people that you have confidence in the vaccines," Reiner said. "But what's the message to the country when you tell people who are fully vaccinated 'Be wary of crowded locations?' You're casting doubt on the efficacy of the vaccine. And I don't think there is any doubt on the efficacy of these vaccines."

What officials say about the guidance
Government and CDC officials say the vaccines are extremely effective. But they say there's still good reason to be cautious, as the country is still reporting a stunningly high number of daily Covid-19 cases and tens of millions of Americans remain unvaccinated and unprotected. "I don't think the CDC's job is to say, 'Hey, let's create an incentive that will make people want to get vaccinated.' I think their job is to do the safe thing and make the right call," White House senior Covid-19 adviser Andy Slavitt told CNN on Tuesday. And there are ongoing education efforts, Slavitt said, reaching into local communities and providing information about the vaccines for Americans who are still trying to decide. CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said during a White House Covid-19 briefing that while outdoor activities for vaccinated people are generally safe without a mask, the agency continues to recommend masking up in crowded outdoor settings -- like packed stadiums -- where physical distancing may not be possible and where there may also be many unvaccinated Americans.
"We will continue to recommend this until widespread vaccination is achieved," Walensky said Tuesday. The CDC says both vaccinated and unvaccinated people should wear masks in indoor public spaces, like malls, movie theaters or museums. "Although these vaccines are extremely effective, we know that the virus spreads very well indoors," Walensky said during the briefing. "Until more people are vaccinated and while we still have more than 50,000 cases a day, mask use indoors will provide extra protection."

When can we ditch masks indoors?
As more Americans get vaccinated, the guidelines will likely continue to open up, including on the issue of masking indoors, US Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy told CNN. Right now, there's still a big part of the country that remains unvaccinated, Murthy said, and there are still high levels of virus spread so it's best for both vaccinated and unvaccinated Americans to keep masking up indoors, Murthy said. "It's still lower risk if you're vaccinated than if you're not, in terms of indoors activities," Murthy said. "But we want people to wear masks. But again, the more people get vaccinated, we get cases down, and that will start to change as well."

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 29, 2021 05:50

MisterDDDD
Boggles the mind how political partisanship has played such a role in this, at least in the US.
Stems from a "leader" calling it a "hoax" and his followers then circling the wagon, either believing him, or pretending to out of political spite.

Insane, really.

Fake news. Why would you sign off on fast tracking 4 vaccines for a hoax?

Date: April 29, 2021 05:54

bv

I think it comes down to who's traveled the world and who hasn't. I had more shots in both shoulders before visiting India than I can count, not to mention anti-malarial pills before, during, and after the trip, and I have no doubt it was all for my protection and not some government conspiracy. I can't imagine going on a trip like that without taking the necessary precautions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-29 05:57 by kovach.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 29, 2021 06:08

kovach
bv

I think it comes down to who's traveled the world and who hasn't. I had more shots in both shoulders before visiting India than I can count, not to mention anti-malarial pills before, during, and after the trip, and I have no doubt it was all for my protection and not some government conspiracy. I can't imagine going on a trip like that without taking the necessary precautions.

I don't think it's down to who's travelled. I've travelled quite a bit but not necessarily to places where I've needed a vaccine...but I'm not an antivaxxer.

This is political.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 29, 2021 11:13

treaclefingers
kovach
bv

I don't think it's down to who's travelled. I've travelled quite a bit but not necessarily to places where I've needed a vaccine...but I'm not an antivaxxer.

This is political.

My observation is that some believe that mRNA 'vaccines' are a form of gene therapy. Therefore, they worry about the long term effects. As such they are naturally hesitant.

Date: April 29, 2021 11:14

My observation is that some believe that mRNA 'vaccines' are a form of gene therapy. Therefore, they worry about the long term effects. As such they are naturally hesitant.

Date: April 29, 2021 11:34

terraplane

Many of them don't know that this technology has been in use, successfully, for a long time in cancer treatment. Some of them might even have been saved by it, without knowing it.

Date: April 29, 2021 11:50

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 29, 2021 14:19

Funny thing is people drive on large bridges built by engineers - science. It takes a lot of science and advanced math and physical know how to build large bridges and skyscrapers.

Same with vaccine. They are the result of science, decades of hard work and research.

I bet those who are sceptical about vaccine live in a house on the ground floor, certainly not in a tall building, and may be they never cross a bridge, designed by science and engineers, or drive through a tunnel, a true example of advanced engineering. By the way, computers are the result of science, I bet even vaccine scepticals do use computers, even if they do not fully understand what is happening inside those microchips. It is a tough world. May be Elvis is still alive, and the world is flat.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-29 14:19 by bv.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 29, 2021 14:19

MisterDDDD
bv

Insane, really.
Exactly , reminds me of Jim Jones telling them to drink the Kool Aid. In my office everyone has been vaccinated except for 4 people . One of the 4 told me yesterday he wants to wait and see how everybody does with it . This guy is a serious germaphobe and wanders around all over the place and puts him self at more risk just because he is bored ,then he acts all paranoid around us that have been vaccinated and this pushes my buttons to no end , like he is going to contract something from us and this guy is always hacking and sneezing and most of the time his mask only covers his mouth . Another one of the 4 is ex Army and he is a massive Kool Aid drinker and this guy says he received more vaccines when he was in the Gulf and does not trust the Government , yet his main man told him along with all of his followers to take the vaccine as he was vaccinated himself I believe in Early January ( rank and status ensures your place at the front of the line ) Such insane skeptics.

Date: April 29, 2021 17:41

treaclefingers
kovach
bv

This is political.

I beg to differ. I have friends and family that are of the same political pursuations as myself. Some have gotten it like myself, some are 'waiting'.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 29, 2021 17:55

Don't worry: Darwinism has a way of transcending politics.

More power to em, the fewer of them, the more of us. They are doing the world a favor actually by providing a bad example to not follow as well as cleansing the gene pool of the more feeble minded.

Drinking the kool aid and Jim Jones are exact analogues to this situation.

jb

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 29, 2021 17:59

kovach
treaclefingers
kovach
bv

This is political.

I beg to differ. I have friends and family that are of the same political pursuations as myself. Some have gotten it like myself, some are 'waiting'.

But 'waiting' is again different from antivax. I 'get' the concerns for people that would ordinarily get vaccinated but are worried about how quickly this has come to market...ie worried about the 'longer term' effects.

With that said it's about mitigating your risk. Which is worse, waiting or not?

Getting the vaccine now 'may' expose you to a future risk (albeit pretty low by the looks of it) whereas not getting vaccinated most certainly puts you at a big risk now.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 29, 2021 18:28

treaclefingers
kovach
treaclefingers
kovach
bv

This is political.

But 'waiting' is again different from antivax. I 'get' the concerns for people that would ordinarily get vaccinated but are worried about how quickly this has come to market...ie worried about the 'longer term' effects.

With that said it's about mitigating your risk. Which is worse, waiting or not?

Getting the vaccine now 'may' expose you to a future risk (albeit pretty low by the looks of it) whereas not getting vaccinated most certainly puts you at a big risk now.
Heavens forbid that the waiting doesn't kill them or infect them and thus there immune system is compromised or worse long term affects . The waiting is the ultimate form of roulette IMHO .

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 29, 2021 21:10

New York City businesses will fully re-open in July - restaurants, stores, movie theaters will be allowed to operate at full capacity starting July 1, 2021 (Broadway in September 2021) - [www.WSJ.com] , [www.NYTimes.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-29 21:15 by Irix.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 29, 2021 21:13

Irix
New York City businesses will fully re-open in July - restaurants, stores, movie theaters will be allowed to operate at full capacity starting July 1, 2021 - [www.WSJ.com] .

Exactly. If a band wants to tour this fall, why not? Vaccines are everywhere.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 29, 2021 22:12

daspyknows
stickyfingers101
Big Al
TheGreek
I would support a Vaccine Passport . Here's why , You want to fly , prove your vaccinated . You want to attend a major sporting event/live concert , prove your vaccinated . Why should everybody who follows the health and safety guidelines / rules be at risk for contracting illness because of those that want to flout societal and conventional wisdom / guidelines ? Same with Restaurants . At some point pressure exerted should get some results , versus the opposite .

With aviation, it’s a given. It’ll happen. I doubt they’ll be asking for evidence in public houses up-and-down the UK, though.

Once Vax Passports get labeled "racist" (and they will if the trends in this article are true and continue)...they will go away.

[www.nursingtimes.net]

Yeah vax passports are racist against stupid white people. Give me a break. They are the ones actively refusing the vaccine. Others are more a case of being convinced and having it made available to them. Those who actively refuse the vaccine are largely limited to one race and they are the more likely to be the racists.

do you actually read anything before you post?

[www.npr.org]

25% of Black respondents and 28% of white respondents said they did not plan to get a shot. Latino respondents were slightly more likely to say they would not get vaccinated at 37%,

Date: April 29, 2021 22:12

mistake by me. removed

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-29 23:10 by stickyfingers101.

Date: April 29, 2021 22:26

daspyknows
stickyfingers101
daspyknows
MingSubu
daspyknows
MingSubu
I tested positive with a mild case early on. 2 days of flu like symptoms and messed up taste for a while.

2 people at work caught it this past month. Both only complained about headaches.

Only person, out of numerous people I know who tested positive, had a rough time. She was overweight and complained about difficulty breathing. Her doctor told her to go out and exercise. She did and believes that is what helped her get thru it.

Half the people here, las vegas, don't wear masks. I got my jabs. At this point I can't really give a shit about anyone else. Everything opens back up on the 1st. Can't wait!!!

Yep all those people in India who are sick and dying of Covid are old and overweight. Same for those getting sick in Michigan.

A good friend in Las Vegas's mailman is a single father under 40. Was in great health, not overweight and had no pre-existing conditions. He caught Covid in early November. Spent 12 weeks in the hospital including 8 in the ICU. Has tried to go back to work twice in the last 6 weeks and has been unable to work more than a few days. He is lucky to be alive but is a shell of his former self. For every person who got lucky and didn't get a bad case there is another person who has had their life changed in a bad way or worse.

Exaggerating a little on the 1:1 bro. I knew you would pop off. Lol

No exaggeration dude. Figured you would respond that way? All Covid deniers do.

you did see that MingSubu had Covid, yes?

...so did some of his friends.

AND he said he got his jabs...

"I don't give a $h_t about anybody else" isn't my cup-o-tea...but, he's clearly not a "denier"....

Try reading before you leap to erroneous name-calling.

As for India: We don't have enough demographic info on their latest "wave" to know who is currently dying......but, during Wave #1 2020, just like every other country in the world, India's Corona-Death showed a crystal clear and direct correlation with age....90% of deaths are over 40 year old.

[www.hindustantimes.com]

so, no...it's not ONLY "old people" or "obese people" who are dying....but the correlation couldn't be more crystal clear...anecdotal examples about some random 40 year old does not undermine scientific facts and data compiled across 10s of 1000s of people.

[yourlogicalfallacyis.com]

Yeah I read it. Someone who has a minor case and then dismisses it as like the flu and claims only old and obese are dying is in denial. Just like someone who drives drunk and claims its ok because I haven't crashed or killed anybody.

I guess Michigan's recent statistics are anecdotal too. Those 20 somethings are really old I guess.

[www.wxyz.com]

incidentally, yes...until the OVERALL NATIONAL OR WORLD statistics show a dramatic change in the current trends regarding "age & corona death"...MICHIGAN'S stats are still anecdotal.

As for the rest of your (il)logic....b/c his case was "minor" he's a "denier?"

hmmmm....not biting.

I didn't catch where he said "ONLY" old people and fat people were getting the virus (which I don't think he did, unless HE is old or fat himself)

....if I missed it, please re-post here...otherwise, it's just you projecting...

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 29, 2021 23:12

stickyfingers101
daspyknows
stickyfingers101
Big Al
TheGreek
I would support a Vaccine Passport . Here's why , You want to fly , prove your vaccinated . You want to attend a major sporting event/live concert , prove your vaccinated . Why should everybody who follows the health and safety guidelines / rules be at risk for contracting illness because of those that want to flout societal and conventional wisdom / guidelines ? Same with Restaurants . At some point pressure exerted should get some results , versus the opposite .

With aviation, it’s a given. It’ll happen. I doubt they’ll be asking for evidence in public houses up-and-down the UK, though.

Once Vax Passports get labeled "racist" (and they will if the trends in this article are true and continue)...they will go away.

[www.nursingtimes.net]

Yeah vax passports are racist against stupid white people. Give me a break. They are the ones actively refusing the vaccine. Others are more a case of being convinced and having it made available to them. Those who actively refuse the vaccine are largely limited to one race and they are the more likely to be the racists.

[www.npr.org]

25% of Black respondents and 28% of white respondents said they did not plan to get a shot. Latino respondents were slightly more likely to say they would not get vaccinated at 37%,

Absolutely. The majority of white male Republicans are refusing to get vaccinated. Black and Latinos are getting the vaccines slowly due to availability and access. It is the white Republicans who are saying vaccine passports are racist but in reality racism has nothing to do with it. So tell me, what are you?

Date: April 29, 2021 23:14

stickyfingers101
daspyknows
stickyfingers101
daspyknows
MingSubu
daspyknows
MingSubu
I tested positive with a mild case early on. 2 days of flu like symptoms and messed up taste for a while.

2 people at work caught it this past month. Both only complained about headaches.

Only person, out of numerous people I know who tested positive, had a rough time. She was overweight and complained about difficulty breathing. Her doctor told her to go out and exercise. She did and believes that is what helped her get thru it.

Half the people here, las vegas, don't wear masks. I got my jabs. At this point I can't really give a shit about anyone else. Everything opens back up on the 1st. Can't wait!!!

Yep all those people in India who are sick and dying of Covid are old and overweight. Same for those getting sick in Michigan.

A good friend in Las Vegas's mailman is a single father under 40. Was in great health, not overweight and had no pre-existing conditions. He caught Covid in early November. Spent 12 weeks in the hospital including 8 in the ICU. Has tried to go back to work twice in the last 6 weeks and has been unable to work more than a few days. He is lucky to be alive but is a shell of his former self. For every person who got lucky and didn't get a bad case there is another person who has had their life changed in a bad way or worse.

Exaggerating a little on the 1:1 bro. I knew you would pop off. Lol

No exaggeration dude. Figured you would respond that way? All Covid deniers do.

you did see that MingSubu had Covid, yes?

...so did some of his friends.

AND he said he got his jabs...

"I don't give a $h_t about anybody else" isn't my cup-o-tea...but, he's clearly not a "denier"....

Try reading before you leap to erroneous name-calling.

As for India: We don't have enough demographic info on their latest "wave" to know who is currently dying......but, during Wave #1 2020, just like every other country in the world, India's Corona-Death showed a crystal clear and direct correlation with age....90% of deaths are over 40 year old.

[www.hindustantimes.com]

so, no...it's not ONLY "old people" or "obese people" who are dying....but the correlation couldn't be more crystal clear...anecdotal examples about some random 40 year old does not undermine scientific facts and data compiled across 10s of 1000s of people.

[yourlogicalfallacyis.com]

Yeah I read it. Someone who has a minor case and then dismisses it as like the flu and claims only old and obese are dying is in denial. Just like someone who drives drunk and claims its ok because I haven't crashed or killed anybody.

I guess Michigan's recent statistics are anecdotal too. Those 20 somethings are really old I guess.

[www.wxyz.com]

incidentally, yes...until the OVERALL NATIONAL OR WORLD statistics show a dramatic change in the current trends regarding "age & corona death"...MICHIGAN'S stats are still anecdotal.

As for the rest of your (il)logic....b/c his case was "minor" he's a "denier?"

hmmmm....not biting.

I didn't catch where he said "ONLY" old people and fat people were getting the virus (which I don't think he did, unless HE is old or fat himself)

....if I missed it, please re-post here...otherwise, it's just you projecting...

Every thing is anecdotal if you disagree with it.

Date: April 29, 2021 23:16

kovach
TheGreek
daspyknows
stickyfingers101
Big Al
TheGreek

[www.nursingtimes.net]

Not a case of racism , just a case of not being enlightened .

Everyone who disagrees with the elitist establishment these days is racist didn't ya' know?

"Climate deniers" were recently called racist somehow (which is a misnomer in itself, nobody I know thinks the climate isn't changing, the disagreement is what's causing it and how much is man-made). Just another way to label all people who question the reasons for the change redneck hillbillies.

This whole thing with vaccine passports almost falls into the same category as a national ID, needing an ID to vote, etc. And I see hypocrisy on both sides, the ones who don't want a vaccine passport or a national ID want an ID to vote, and the ones who don't want an ID to vote or a national ID are arguing for a vaccine passport (though I know the concerns around the vaccine passports are around privacy with regards to healthcare status).

Then there's the majority of us normal people in the middle who don't consider half the country racist, think more discussion on what's causing climate change and how better to deal with it would be good (is it really necessary to level everything and start over plunging the world economy into poverty or is there a transition that could avoid that?), and just maybe if an ID is needed to enter just about any office building or to write a check, it might just be necessary for other important things as well.

I like this post.

However, I would only add: traditionally, IDs were to prove/show who you are and/or that you are who you say you are

...and/or your age....

Vax Passports are completely unprecedented.

It is my position that such changes demand debate and/or discussion.

Potentially the issue may need to go to the Supreme Court (which, personally, I think it eventually will IF VPs come about)

Isn't that why we have a SCOTUS?

otherwise, we can just let Putin decide for the whole world, I suppose.

Good old Vladi.

Date: April 29, 2021 23:20

daspyknows
stickyfingers101
daspyknows
stickyfingers101
Big Al
TheGreek

[www.nursingtimes.net]

[www.npr.org]

Absolutely. The majority of white male Republicans are refusing to get vaccinated. Black and Latinos are getting the vaccines slowly due to availability and access. It is the white Republicans who are saying vaccine passports are racist but in reality racism has nothing to do with it. So tell me, what are you?

Agree with you on this daspy, its the same scene as has been replaying the past four years: disinformation and bs distracting from the real situation. Not that NPR does that, I trust them, but its the misinterpretation of the statistics that is the problem. The same anti-maskers are the same anti-vaccers are the same idiots storming the capital building. Denying that is denying reality.

But so it goes.

jb

Date: April 30, 2021 04:23

Hairball
Operation Warp Speed - gotta give credit where credit is due.

You know, thats ridiculous. T**** stood there and sabotaged everything that was being done except to get the money to his buddies in the pharmaceutical industry. He totally botched the distribution system and undermined the effectiveness of the vaccine, as well as denied the problem even existed. It was totally the equivalent of Bush Jr claiming "Mission Accomplished" in his flight suit on the aircraft carrier deck. That didn't turn out so well either.

Just be real.

jb

Date: April 30, 2021 04:30

Hairball
Operation Warp Speed - gotta give credit where credit is due.

Pfizer was not actually part of warp speed. They got no government money up front. The government took an option to but limited doses. Moderna and J & J took money up front as part of warp speed.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...233234235236237238239240241242243...LastNext
Current Page: 238 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2025
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home