Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...225226227228229230231232233234235...LastNext
Current Page: 230 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 3, 2021 08:43

jbwelda
>For comparison USA=44%

44% of the USA population has been vaccinated? That does not sound correct.

jb

My source is [ourworldindata.org]

Scroll down a bit and select 'Table', and then you can sort on columns.

If you sub-select Vaccinations you get 45.94% for USA, but if you select People Vaccinated you get 29.77%.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 3, 2021 11:51

Thought I’d chip in with my experience:
My wife and I had first jab (Oxford AZ) on Sat March 6th we are same age apart from a couple of months, I had absolutely no side effects other than a sore arm. My wife not so good and had Sun and Mon off but back to work on the 9th. We obviously now have some protection and second jab scheduled for May 22nd. This is London UK

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 3, 2021 12:12

I have added the following vaccine monitor link to the first post of this thread:

Tracking Coronavirus Vaccinations Around the World (New York Times live updates)

USA have administrated 46% vaccine doses, as compared to the population, but as most current vaccines do require two doses per person, this means 17% of all people fully vaccinated, and 30% with the first of two vaccine shots in USA.

UK have given the first of two doses to 47% of their population, but just 7% are fully vaccinated, because UK are delaying the 2nd dose in order to get the first shot out to as many as possible.

Europe have typically vaccinated approx 12% of the population with the first shot, and 5% of both doses, some a bit more, some a bit lower numbers.

There is roughly a covid-19 protection of 80% two weeks after the first shot with Pfizer and Moderna vaccines:

Results showed that following the second dose of vaccine (the recommended number of doses), risk of infection was reduced by 90 percent two or more weeks after vaccination. Following a single dose of either vaccine, the participants’ risk of infection with SARS-CoV-2 was reduced by 80 percent two or more weeks after vaccination. (CDC March 31, 2021)

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-03 12:12 by bv.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 3, 2021 16:42

As of April 15th, all my adult kids are eligible for the vaccine here in Washington.
Watching the trial results on 12-15 year olds closely, as my 15yo daughter is the last in my immediate household to be eligible. Hopeful all high school age kids will be able to before fall.

When will people younger than 16 be COVID-vaccine eligible in Washington state, and which jab is OK for teens?

People younger than 16 became the lone group not knowing when it will be vaccinated against COVID-19 now that everyone in Washington 16 years and older will be vaccine eligible by mid-month.

Gov. Jay Inslee announced Wednesday that nearly the entire state, except for those 15 and younger, would be eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine on April 15. The expansion gives 1.2 million more Washingtonians the chance to be vaccinated and makes 6.2 million people 16 and older eligible.

Vaccinating youths and getting everyone eligible vaccinated is vital because doing so could be the end of the pandemic, said Dr. Janet Englund, a professor in the division of pediatric and infectious diseases at the University of Washington and Seattle Children’s hospital.

“I think it could be the end of the pandemic. That’s what most of us are hoping for and want,” Englund said. “There has to be uptake though. We’ve got to have a vaccine, and then people have to also take it.”

What does this mean for teenagers and children who don’t yet make the vaccine cut? We look into this question and more for this week’s FAQ Friday.

Exactly when those younger than 16 will be able to get vaccinated against COVID-19 isn’t known. There have been some promising developments recently, making real the possibility of having children as young as 12 being eligible by the time school starts in the fall.
“I think many of us in pediatrics are hoping that there will be a vaccine for at least older children by the time school starts,” Englund said.

On Wednesday, Pfizer said the COVID-19 vaccine it developed with the German company BioNTech is safe and provides strong protection against the disease in children as young as 12.

Of the 2,260 children and teens between the ages of 12 and 15 to be fully vaccinated in the Pfizer study, there were no cases of COVID-19.

Another important piece of evidence in the unpublished study is how well the shots boosted the children’s immune systems. Researchers reported high levels of virus-fighting antibodies, somewhat higher than were seen in studies of young adults.
[www.seattletimes.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 3, 2021 20:19

CaptainCorella
jbwelda
>For comparison USA=44%

jb

My source is [ourworldindata.org]

Scroll down a bit and select 'Table', and then you can sort on columns.

If you sub-select Vaccinations you get 45.94% for USA, but if you select People Vaccinated you get 29.77%.

All highly nuanced "information"...what I see is approx 30% of USA population has had one shot. When chart data does not match in a logical manner, there is something missing. For instance your noting the 46% vs 30% for what would seem to be the same metric.

Did not find the "Table" selection but did not spend that much time looking either.

I believe the current figure i saw on the news last night is something like 25% have had one vax which jives with what i see here.

jb

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 3, 2021 20:37

daspyknows
jbwelda
>For comparison USA=44%

jb

30% have had at least one shot so far as of March 29th so maybe 33% by now.

[usafacts.org]

And "Overall, 54,392,423 people or 16% of the population have been fully vaccinated".

U.S. NEWS states "more than %15" of US population fully vaccinated, but that was published several days ago. - US NEWS

"CDC's data tracker counts people as fully vaccinated if they got two doses on different days of either the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines or received one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
But the agency urges people to wait two weeks after their final shot to consider themselves fully vaccinated. While vaccination rates are climbing, so are cases.
The seven-day average of daily cases continues to tick upward, with an average of nearly 57,000 cases being recorded every day".

Those fully vaccinated percentages should continue to increase daily, and just have to hope those numbers rapidly beat out the non-vaccinated with the possibility of new mutations/variations taking over...

Date: April 4, 2021 01:57

US hits 4 million Covid-19 vaccine doses in a day for a new record

(CNN)More than 4 million doses of the coronavirus vaccine were administered in the past 24 hours, setting a new record and bringing the seven-day average over 3 million a day, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Saturday.

Dr. Cyrus Shahpar, Covid-19 Data Director at the White House, celebrated with a tweet early Saturday afternoon.
"Wow a record reporting day!! +4.08M doses reported administered over the total yesterday," Shahpar wrote.
"First day w/ 4M or more. Also first time averaging more than 3M per day over the past week. Millions coming together to accelerate our progress toward controlling the pandemic!"

It has been nearly 109 days since the first Covid-19 vaccine shot was administered in the US, and 104 million people have since received at least one dose, the agency said. More than 59 million of them are fully vaccinated.

More than 161 million doses have been administered in the US, according to agency data published Saturday.
That's 4,081,959 doses reported administered since Friday -- a seven-day average of 3,072,527 doses per day. Data published by the CDC may be delayed, and doses may not have been given on the day reported.
[www.cnn.com]

Date: April 6, 2021 09:42

Feels like it's been an eternal wait, but finally I'm getting my first jab on Thursday.

Date: April 6, 2021 16:16

DandelionPowderman
Feels like it's been an eternal wait, but finally I'm getting my first jab on Thursday.

smileys with beer
Congrats Dandy!!

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: April 7, 2021 00:31

For San Diego County, now in a less restrictive tier, note the requirements for OUTDOOR LIVE EVENTS WITH ASSIGNED SEATING:

. Max 33%, includes suites with 25% occupancy per suite
• Weekly worker testing program
• In-state visitors only, check for current CDPH Travel Advisory in effect
• Primarily in-seat concessions (no concourse sales)
• Max 67% if all guests are tested or show proof of full vaccination

Date: April 7, 2021 01:41

JadedFaded
For San Diego County, now in a less restrictive tier, note the requirements for OUTDOOR LIVE EVENTS WITH ASSIGNED SEATING:

. Max 33%, includes suites with 25% occupancy per suite
• Weekly worker testing program
• In-state visitors only, check for current CDPH Travel Advisory in effect
• Primarily in-seat concessions (no concourse sales)
• Max 67% if all guests are tested or show proof of full vaccination

Great that distanced gigs are opening around the country, just booked another concert today for one in July.

Highlights one of the biggest logistical hurdles in scheduling a tour for late summer early fall though. By then, and likely even prior, the current regulations will have no doubt changed considerably. Potentially to full capacity. Banking on that though, or insuring it, is extremely difficult at best. Hopefully, the industries (live entertainment and insurers) will work out clauses that make it feasible.
Huge money and pent up demand involved, so I believe it's likely.

Date: April 7, 2021 01:48

Biden moves deadline for all US adults to be eligible for Covid vaccine to April 19

(CNN)President Joe Biden announced on Tuesday that he is moving up his deadline for states to make all American adults eligible for a coronavirus vaccine by almost two weeks, but said Americans must remain on a "war footing" to beat the virus.

With all states having opened eligibility to the public or at least having announced when they plan to do so, Biden announced that every adult in the country will be eligible to be vaccinated by April 19, instead of his original deadline of May 1.

Speaking at the White House after visiting a vaccination center in Alexandria, Virginia, Biden said that 150 million doses of the coronavirus vaccine have been administered within his first 75 days in office, in line with a stated goal of 200 million shots by his 100th day in office.
While the President was pleased with the progress, he stressed the US must continue to ramp up efforts to beat the pandemic.

"We know what we have to do. We have to ramp up a whole of government approach that rallies the whole country and puts us on a war footing to truly beat this virus. And that's what we've been doing, getting enough vaccine supply, mobilizing more vaccinators, creating more places to get vaccinated, and we're now administering an average of 3 million shots per day, over 20 million shots a week," Biden said.

The President said more than 75% of people over the age of 65 have gotten a shot and over 55% of them are fully vaccinated, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."
[www.cnn.com]

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 8, 2021 00:32

Some interesting recent news that contradicts earlier reports (like much Covid news):

Vaccinated Not Likely to Spread Covid

Covid Not Likely to Spread by Surface Contact

Date: April 8, 2021 00:53

kovach
Some interesting recent news that contradicts earlier reports (like much Covid news):

Doesn't contradict anything, Surface spread is low, not non-existent.
Spread of the virus amongst vaccinated people was unknown until the data was available to examine. Because of how the virus was... wait for it... NEW.

People looking for experts to be 100% correct in hindsight before the data is even available are ridiculous and looking for sht to stir.

Date: April 8, 2021 01:37

kovach

“We were wiping packages we were getting from Amazon, leaving them in the corner for one week so the virus would die,”
said Professor John Lednicky, an aerovirologist at UF. “Any of that really help anything? No.”

Have to say I never wiped anything that was delivered from Amazon, or left anything in the corner for a week so the virus would die - guess I was living a bit "dangerously" lol.
Wondering if all the grocery stores will stop disinfecting the handles on the grocery carts - seemed some stores never fully went that route, but Vons still does religiously.
Even prior to the pandemic, I'd always grab some of the free hand wipes and give the handle on the cart a good wipe down - ya never know what type of germs lurk on those carts.

Date: April 8, 2021 02:35

From the Assocciated Press:

The Latest: NHL’s Canucks say 21 players tested positive

Covid19
"The NHL’s Vancouver Canucks say 25 members of the organization have tested positive for the coronavirus, including 21 players.
The team was shut down last week, and it’s uncertain when it will play its next game".

Also from the same link:

"The LPGA Tour says the final event of its three-tournament Asia swing has been canceled. The Blue Bay LPGA on Hainan Island in China was scheduled for May 13-16"

And:

"Golf’s European Tour says the French Open has been postponed because of COVID-19 restrictions the government announced last week.
The tour says it will work with the French golf federation to try to reschedule it. The French Open was scheduled for May 6-9 at Le Golf National"

Given the above, probably just a matter of time until the virus wreaks more havoc in the US - especially with so many restrictions being eased up/lifted.
Baseball stadiums at full capacity? ...sounds like a nightmare....

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 8, 2021 07:51

DandelionPowderman
winking smiley

Welcome to the gang DP! I had my first one yesterday (Pfizer). Only a bit of a sour arm. All baby boomers yesterday winking smiley
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 8, 2021 13:55

It has just been announced that AUSTRALIA is restricting the AstraZenaca vaccine to the over 50's.

It's anyone's guess what the endgame to that will be given that supplies of any alternatives are extremely limited in Australia.

Buried in the waffle accompanying the announcement were a couple of things....

Any (blood clot) risk associated with AZ is actually an order of magnitude less than that associated with the Birth Pill, and

The benefit:risk analysis is interesting. The risk of a young person getting Covid is lower and the risk of a blood clot is higher, but for older people the risk (and consequence) of getting Covid is higher and the risk of a blood clot is lower.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: April 8, 2021 14:29

EU agency finds AstraZeneca vaccine can cause rare blood clots, as UK advises other shots for under-30s (CNN April 8, 2021)

European drug regulators have confirmed a link between the Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid-19 shot and rare blood clots, as UK authorities recommended that people under 30 should take alternative vaccines.

EMA officials said they looked at 18 deaths in their analysis. These fatalities were reported in 62 cases of clotting in the sinuses that drain blood from the brain, and 24 cases of clotting in the abdomen. The cases were reported in an EU safety database from European countries, including the UK, where around 25 million people in total had received the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Spain and Italy to restrict AstraZeneca’s Covid jab to over-60s
Australia and Belgium also issue new age restrictions, in policy shifts that could complicate countries’ efforts to step up vaccination programmes
(Financial Times April 8, 2021)

While the EMA, the EU’s pharmaceuticals regulator, did not change its guidance for who should take the vaccine, it noted that “so far, most of the cases reported [of blood clots] have occurred in women under 60 years of age within two weeks of vaccination”.

Belgium separately restricted the AstraZeneca vaccine to those aged 56 or older for a minimum of four weeks on Wednesday. Australia moved on Thursday to limit further use of the shot in those younger than 50, with Canberra saying the BioNTech/Pfizer inoculation should be used instead.

France and Germany had also previously restricted the use of the shot for the over-55s and over-60s, respectively — trusting that other vaccines, such as that from BioNTech/Pfizer and a new one-shot inoculation from Johnson & Johnson, will be sufficient to make up the lag in the EU’s vaccination programme.

Bjornulf

Date: April 8, 2021 15:01

georgie48
DandelionPowderman
winking smiley

Welcome to the gang DP! I had my first one yesterday (Pfizer). Only a bit of a sour arm. All baby boomers yesterday winking smiley
smileys with beer

I got Pfizer as well thumbs up

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 8, 2021 16:04

"Good" news if you have A-Type Blood...

the latest "science" says your blood type doesn't mean dink when it comes to Coronavirus....

[www.webmd.com]

of course....that could change (again) too....

However, other studies out of Denmark and the United States offered mixed and conflicting results

.....so, let's not put this one up next to "Gravity" quite yet....

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 8, 2021 16:18

MisterDDDD
kovach

Doesn't contradict anything, Surface spread is low, not non-existent.
Spread of the virus amongst vaccinated people was unknown until the data was available to examine. Because of how the virus was... wait for it... NEW.

People looking for experts to be 100% correct in hindsight before the data is even available are ridiculous and looking for sht to stir.

Life is full of risks. I think the real question is when do we get back to an acceptable level. You can't eliminate all risks. These findings seem to get us near acceptable risks levels while getting back to a sense of normalcy.

That being said, being a bit of a germaphobe myself, I'll still use hand gel where available, as well as free wipes, grab the bottom of door handles with my pinky, but I really look forward to ditching the masks.

Date: April 8, 2021 19:56

DandelionPowderman
georgie48
DandelionPowderman
winking smiley

smileys with beer

I got Pfizer as well thumbs up

Great! My second shot is set for May 12. A bit later than originally promissed (after 3 weeks), but two more weeks of patience is peanuts compared with the 10 months for the first one.
Slowly holidays and ... Stones concerts are teasing my brain grinning smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 11, 2021 06:26

My second vaccine in the arm. Getting closer to enjoying some things I have missed.

Date: April 11, 2021 10:40

daspyknows
My second vaccine in the arm. Getting closer to enjoying some things I have missed.

I'm sure a flashy Rolling Stones concert is among them cool smiley
smileys with beer

Date: April 11, 2021 18:34

Haven’t there been cases of blood clotting in people who have had the Pfizer jab?

Date: April 11, 2021 19:14

SonofHarlemShuffler
Haven’t there been cases of blood clotting in people who have had the Pfizer jab?

No. I mean the problem with blood cloth in combination with very high level of antibodies against platelets has been observed mainly with the AstraZeneca vaccine, but this week a few cases have been reported regarding the Johnson & Johnson vaccine as well, medical experts still looking into those cases.

Two New Studies Point to How AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 Vaccine Is Linked to Blood Clots (Time Magazine April 9, 2021)

EU agency examines reports of blood clots with J&J Covid vaccine (The Guardian April 9, 2021)

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-11 20:33 by bv.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 11, 2021 19:25

SonofHarlemShuffler

Until 2-Apr-2021 there were in Germany 7 cases of sinus vein thrombosis (3 women 34-81 years, 4 men 81-86 years) reported after vaccination with Comirnaty (BioNTech/Pfizer). There were also 17 cases of thrombocytopenia (low level of platelets) detected in conjunction with Comirnaty (12 women 16-89 years, 5 men 42-94 years) - [www.PEI.de] - (PDF).

In Germany there're regularly safety reports about the Covid-19 vaccines by the federal Paul-Ehrlich-Institute - [www.PEI.de] - "Sicherheit von COVID-19-Impfstoffen".

Translated table from the safety report by Paul-Ehrlich-Institute, 9-Apr-2021, Page 15, Table 4:

Source: [www.PEI.de] - (PDF). There were in total 10,722,876 vaccinations with Comirnaty, 713,067 vaccinations with Moderna and 2,945,125 vaccinations with Vaxzevria - (PEI, Page 5, Table 1).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-11 21:10 by Irix.

Date: April 11, 2021 21:15

Thank you, Irix. Unless I’m mistaken, your table doesn’t show how many people received each vaccine.
Do you know the figures?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 11, 2021 21:30

SonofHarlemShuffler

Do you know the figures?

Number of vaccinations now updated in my post above. Exact numbers of 1st/2nd dose can be found in the safety report, page 5, table 1 - [www.PEI.de] - (PDF).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...225226227228229230231232233234235...LastNext
Current Page: 230 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home