Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...221222223224225226227228229230231...LastNext
Current Page: 226 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 22, 2021 14:20

Big Al
Out of curiosity: would anyone here feel uncomfortable, or, perhaps, refuse the AstraZeneca vaccine? As it's not being used in much of the E.U., I suppose this question is aimed more at my fellow U.K. residents.

I had the AstraZeneca vaccine foe round 1 and have no qualms with having it once more. I just hope I'm not knocked-out for a week once again!

Having ingested all kinds of unknown substances as a teenager I have no worries taking a vaccine from the worlds leading experts in medical science.
I’m not sure when I will be able to receive the first dose as they say there will be some delays now here in the U.K.
I would take it today if offered and I wouldn’t be concerned with what vaccine it was as any very serious side effects are extremely rare.
My aunt who is in her mid 60s had the first shot of Astra Zeneca last month and had fever headaches and dizziness every day for 4 weeks after receiving the vaccine but she’s fine now.

Nate

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 22, 2021 14:36

AstraZeneca says U.S. trial data shows its COVID-19 vaccine is 79% effective
Trial also showed vaccine was 100% effective in stopping severe disease, hospitalization

AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine provided strong protection against disease and complete protection against hospitalization and death across all age groups in a late-stage U.S. study, the company announced Monday.

AstraZeneca said its experts also identified no safety concerns related to the vaccine, including a rare blood clot that was identified in Europe. Scientists found no increased risk of clots among the more than 20,000 people who got at least one dose of the shot, which was developed with Oxford University.

Although AstraZeneca's vaccine has been authorized for use in more than 50 countries, including Canada, it has not yet been given the green light in the U.S. The U.S. study comprised more than 30,000 volunteers, of whom two-thirds were given the vaccine while the rest got dummy shots.

In a statement, AstraZeneca said its COVID-19 vaccine had a 79 per cent efficacy rate at preventing symptomatic COVID-19 and was 100 per cent effective in stopping severe disease and hospitalization. Investigators said the vaccine was effective across adults of all ages, including older people — which previous studies in other countries had failed to establish.

"These findings reconfirm previous results observed," said Ann Falsey of the University of Rochester School of Medicine, who helped lead the trial. "It's exciting to see similar efficacy results in people over 65 for the first time."

Julian Tang, a virologist at the university of Leicester who was unconnected to the study, described it as "good news" for the AstraZeneca vaccine.

"The earlier U.K., Brazil, South Africa trials had a more variable and inconsistent design and it was thought that the U.S. FDA would never approve the use of the AZ vaccine on this basis, but now the U.S. clinical trial has confirmed the efficacy of this vaccine in their own clinical trials," he said.
[www.cbc.ca]

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 22, 2021 15:11

Big Al
Out of curiosity: would anyone here feel uncomfortable, or, perhaps, refuse the AstraZeneca vaccine? As it's not being used in much of the E.U., I suppose this question is aimed more at my fellow U.K. residents.

I had the AstraZeneca vaccine foe round 1 and have no qualms with having it once more. I just hope I'm not knocked-out for a week once again!

With reference to

DandelionPowderman
JadedFaded
Potential cause of blood clots with Astra Zeneca vaccine found:

[beta.firstwordpharma.com]

Two more deaths in Norway yesterday...

I admit, yes, I feel uncomfortable with that vaccine and hope to receive one of the alternatives

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 22, 2021 15:30

JadedFaded

See also here - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 22, 2021 15:37

Witness
Big Al

With reference to

DandelionPowderman
JadedFaded

I admit, yes, I feel uncomfortable with that vaccine and hope to receive one of the alternatives

That's fair enough, Witness. For what it's worth: I would still, however, rather have it than nothing at all. The amount who've suffered blood clotting is still very low.

Date: March 22, 2021 15:45

Witness
Big Al

With reference to

DandelionPowderman
JadedFaded

We gotta keep in mind that the severity of the side effects of this vaccine is still considerably lower than that of common Paracetamol painkillers.

With my underlying conditions I won't get the AstaZeneca myself, but I wouldn't hesitate taking it.

Date: March 22, 2021 16:15

I wouldn't hesitate to take any of the vaccines available in the US right now, or AstaZeneca when FDA approved, which now appears imminent.
Was happy to get the Pfizer doses, happy my wife received Moderna, but would line up again and be just as happy to receive any of them.

"100% effective in stopping severe disease, hospitalization and death" is the only statistic that is important.

Factbox: Key insights from U.S. trial data on AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - AstraZeneca and Oxford University’s coronavirus vaccine received a major boost on Monday as data from a large trial showed it was safe and effective, potentially paving the way for its emergency authorisation in the United States.

The trial results, primarily generated in the United States but also in Chile and Peru, included a 79% efficacy in preventing symptomatic COVID-19, and showed no increased risk of a rare form of blood clots that has caused concern in parts of Europe.

The following lists key insights from the trial as it contrasts with previously known data from a trials run in Britain, Brazil and South Africa.

TRIAL DESIGN
The U.S. trials, designed and run by AstraZeneca, were simpler, with two standard doses administered at a four-week interval, while the data presented late last year from trials organised by Astra’s development partner Oxford University featured a range of four to 12 weeks between shots.
While the inconsistent intervals in the Oxford trials were due to vaccine production delays, it allowed for an analysis of how a delayed booster shot might influence efficacy.

Britain’s Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency concluded at the time that a 12-week gap between doses was the key to achieving the highest efficacy, of around 80%.

Oxford’s trial also included a group that received an initial half dose followed by a full standard dose as a booster shot, which was the result of a measurement error.

Though AstraZeneca initially said the non-standard dosing pattern held early promise of being 90% effective, the approach was disregarded by regulators and no longer pursued by Astra.

EFFICACY ON THE ELDERLY
Oxford’s trials in Britain, Brazil and South Africa did not have enough cases of COVID-19 in elderly participants to show the shot also works in that age group. In the U.S. trials, 20% of participants were aged 65 years or over.

While Britain’s regulator found it safe to assume it worked in the elderly based on blood analysis, some European countries including Germany initially only cleared the product for those younger than 65.

The U.S. trial data presented by Astra on Monday showed for the first time in a controlled trial that the shot also had a strong effect in the elderly. “In participants aged 65 years and over, vaccine efficacy was 80%,” it said.

VARIANTS OF CONCERN
While AstraZeneca did not break down the data into specific variants, the company’s statement has reassured some experts on the product’s usefulness against mutated, potentially more infectious forms of the coronavirus.

The efficacy number falls short of figures of well over 90% reported by the Pfizer-BioNTech alliance and by Moderna for their respective vaccines in December, but comes after more infectious variants of the virus had spread around the globe.

Analysts at Jefferies said the trials were likely conducted under a higher prevalence of such variants than prior studies by rivals, one of the reasons for describing it as better than expected, it added.
[www.reuters.com]

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: March 22, 2021 18:11

My father who will be 91 yo in 3 moths received the fisrt dose of AstraZeneca and he didn't had absolutely any problem!
I'm still waiting for my call which should have been happend as I work in health care and have had contact with some Covid patients, some of them died.
Here in Argentina unfortunately the vaccination system isn't going as it should be!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-22 18:12 by Quique-stone.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 22, 2021 19:44

TheGreek
I rolled up my left sleeve and got the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday . My arm hurts as I was injected in the muscle . Has anyone else who got the Pfizer vaccine felt pain in there arm ? The RN Nurse who injected me said that my arm might hurt . Then I go to Home Depot afterwords and the cashier told me the same thing . Yesterday after the injection it was sore/hurt , today it hurts .

My arm still a bit sore 3 days later but compared to having Covid its all good.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 22, 2021 20:01

Witness
Big Al

With reference to

DandelionPowderman
JadedFaded

Same here.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 22, 2021 22:20

AstraZeneca was made available here for my age bracket 11 days ago. I could have waited, maybe until July, for a Pfizer or Moderna shot, but took the AZ. No issues. It my be 16 weeks, though, for the 2nd shot, but I’m pretty happy to have any level of protection at this point.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 22, 2021 22:37

I had no problems at all when I had Astra Zeneca jab back on February 9th.
My dear Mum had same jab at the age of 95 and no problems and had second jab as well.
My sister who had her jab a couple of weeks ago and no problems.
I will be having second jab about May 9th and will not hesitate in getting that vaccine into my arm. thumbs up

Also very good news here in UK that latest deaths in latest 24 hour period was 17,whch is lowest since last September.
Still very sad as every death is a person who has family and friends that will be grieving their loss.

Let's hope we can keep these figures low and eventually down to zero.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-22 22:55 by crawdaddy.

Date: March 22, 2021 22:50

SomeTorontoGirl
AstraZeneca was made available here for my age bracket 11 days ago. I could have waited, maybe until July, for a Pfizer or Moderna shot, but took the AZ. No issues. It my be 16 weeks, though, for the 2nd shot, but I’m pretty happy to have any level of protection at this point.

Congrats! And very wise move.
Also- I miss Canada something fierce..can not wait to get back.

Date: March 23, 2021 00:53

MisterDDDD
... I miss Canada something fierce..can not wait to get back.

I’d love a month in the UK right about now. Maybe we should ask Bjornulf to start the Great IORR House Swap ... because that wouldn’t be a thankless nightmare! grinning smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 23, 2021 12:22

daspyknows
TheGreek
I rolled up my left sleeve and got the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday . My arm hurts as I was injected in the muscle . Has anyone else who got the Pfizer vaccine felt pain in there arm ? The RN Nurse who injected me said that my arm might hurt . Then I go to Home Depot afterwords and the cashier told me the same thing . Yesterday after the injection it was sore/hurt , today it hurts .

My arm still a bit sore 3 days later but compared to having Covid its all good.
This is really a blessing and great peace of mind to have the vaccine .

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: March 23, 2021 13:08

I know a few people who have a tender arm after the Pfizer vaccine. Mine was OK, but I had headaches, chills, fatigue, etc., for a couple of days after my second vaccination. Fine now.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 23, 2021 14:24

SomeTorontoGirl

Great news, STG!!

I agree that, all things considered, anything is better than nothing at this stage, today being exactly one year since the UK's first lockdown began. We knew so little back then and yet the learning curve remains as steep as ever.

I'll be getting my second shot of AstraZeneca in a couple of weeks. It'll be 10 weeks after the first dose and I'll be hoping for a repeat of no side effects, though some reports seem to indicate that they can be more marked after the second dose of whatever vaccine.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 23, 2021 15:10

Like Beast, I am due to have my second shot (Pfizer) in a few days time, 10 weeks after the first. No particular ill effects after #1 -I'll let you know how #2 goes.

Date: March 23, 2021 15:26

Just found out that only 70 percent of the group that get their vaccine before my group have received their jabs.

Looks like there will be a delay for at least a month for me...

Date: March 23, 2021 15:55

It was a weird distribution blip that saw me get a jab so early. Many more deserving are still waiting. Hoping the roll-out speeds up and that we’re all sorted soon.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 23, 2021 17:48

From the New York Times:

Covid-19 Live Updates: U.S. Health Officials Question AstraZeneca Vaccine Trial Results

Federal health officials said the encouraging results that AstraZeneca announced about its Covid-19 vaccine
may have been based on outdated and incomplete information, another blow to an already embattled vaccine.

COVID19

Date: March 23, 2021 18:43

For those that can't read behind their paywall.
A real shame in terms of people trusting the vaccine going forward.

Covid-19 Live Updates: U.S. Health Officials Question AstraZeneca Vaccine Trial Results
Federal health officials said the encouraging results that AstraZeneca announced about its Covid-19 vaccine may have been based on outdated and incomplete information, another blow to an already embattled vaccine.

Federal health officials said Tuesday that the encouraging results that AstraZeneca announced about its Covid-19 vaccine may have been based on outdated and incomplete information about the vaccine’s effectiveness, an extraordinary blow to the credibility of an already embattled vaccine.

In a statement released shortly after midnight, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said that an independent panel of medical experts that has been helping to oversee AstraZeneca’s U.S. trial had “expressed concern that AstraZeneca may have included outdated information from that trial, which may have provided an incomplete view of the efficacy data.”

The public airing of a conflict between a pharmaceutical company and a board overseeing a clinical trial is highly unusual. It is almost certain to trigger extra scrutiny of the vaccine by the Food and Drug Administration and other regulators if AstraZeneca seeks emergency authorization of its vaccine in the United States

“This is really what you call an unforced error,” Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s leading infectious-disease expert, said on “Good Morning America” on Tuesday morning. “Because the fact is: This is very likely a very good vaccine, and this kind of thing does, as you say, do nothing but really cast some doubt about the vaccines and maybe contributes to the hesitancy.”

The friction with the independent monitoring board revolved around how AstraZeneca was determining whether participants in the clinical trial had possible or actual cases of Covid-19, according to a person familiar with the situation. The independent monitoring board twice pushed AstraZeneca to take a more rigorous approach, telling the company it had sufficient information to determine how many trial participants had the disease. That had the potential to reduce the vaccine’s apparent effectiveness.

But AstraZeneca unveiled its interim results on Monday without conducting the full analysis the board requested, possibly casting its vaccine in an overly favorable light.

AstraZeneca defended the data it released on Monday, which it said showed the vaccine was 79 percent effective at preventing Covid-19. The company said on Tuesday that the interim results appeared to be “consistent” with more recent data collected during the trial. AstraZeneca said it would immediately share its latest efficacy data with the monitoring board. The company said it would reissue fuller results within 48 hours.

The results that AstraZeneca announced on Monday were a badly needed dose of good news, especially because they came at a moment when concerns about the vaccine’s safety had led more than a dozen countries, mostly in Europe, to temporarily suspend the shot’s use over concerns about possible rare side effects. The results not only affirmed the vaccine’s safety, but also made the vaccine look more effective than it appeared in earlier trials.

But members of the independent monitoring board were surprised by the company’s announcement. “They got concerned and wrote a rather harsh note to them and with a copy to me, saying that in fact they felt that the data that was in the press release were somewhat outdated and might in fact be misleading a bit and wanted them to straighten it out,” said Dr. Fauci, who runs the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

That prompted the overnight statement from the infectious-disease institute, which is part of the National Institutes of Health.

Companies sponsoring drug or vaccine trials typically wait for the monitoring board to review analyses and conclude that the study has yielded an answer before they announce trial results.

Company executives do not see the results of the study until the monitoring board reports their study data back to the company. The monitoring board ultimately conveyed the results of the study to AstraZeneca in a meeting over the weekend, leading to the company’s announcement Monday morning.

The monitoring board’s slow progress fueled concerns among federal officials that AstraZeneca may have been sitting on the data or that the monitoring board had concerns about the way the data it was reviewing had been presented.

An AstraZeneca spokeswoman, whom the company declined to name, said on Friday that it was “completely incorrect” that the trial data had formatting problems or had not been submitted to the monitoring board in a clean fashion.

“As is often the case,” the spokeswoman said, monitoring boards “can request new or clarifying analyses of data from the trial. This would enable them to ensure the robustness of their determinations.”

The national institute’s statement, issued shortly after midnight, stunned experts. Dr. Eric Topol, a clinical trials expert at Scripps Research in San Diego, said it was “highly irregular” to see such a public display of friction between a monitoring board and a study sponsor, which are typically in close concordance.

“I’ve never seen anything like this,” he said. “It’s so, so troubling.”

AstraZeneca’s relationship with the U.S. authorities has been fraught since last year, when senior health officials believed the company was not being forthright about the design of its clinical trials, its results and safety issues. That skepticism carried over to last week, when senior officials at a number of federal health agencies grew suspicious about why AstraZeneca had not announced data from its U.S. study..

[www.nytimes.com]

Date: March 23, 2021 18:56

teleblaster
I know a few people who have a tender arm after the Pfizer vaccine. Mine was OK, but I had headaches, chills, fatigue, etc., for a couple of days after my second vaccination. Fine now.
I am super worried about my 2nd shot in a few weeks as I have never had a flu shot and have heard all the stories of people feeling flu like symptoms and am concerned that it will kick my fanny .

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: March 23, 2021 19:50

TheGreek
teleblaster
I am super worried about my 2nd shot in a few weeks as I have never had a flu shot and have heard all the stories of people feeling flu like symptoms and am concerned that it will kick my fanny .

It won't. At worst, it's a few hours of symptoms.

Date: March 23, 2021 20:06

steffialicia
TheGreek
teleblaster

Not for everyone of course.
Mild soreness/queeziness for me lasted a couple days after second Pfizer shot.
My wife, who had Moderna, had much more of a reaction a couple days after her second shot. Women in her age group are most prone to the side affects I've read since.

Also know someone that was in the Pfizer trials who didn't know she was receiving a placebo, and had a strong reaction after her second dose. So in some it may be psychological.

Date: March 23, 2021 20:09

steffialicia
TheGreek
teleblaster

Okay and fingers crossed . Anyway there is no turning back at this point .

Date: March 23, 2021 20:11

MisterDDDD
steffialicia
TheGreek
teleblaster

My wife, who had Moderna, had much more of a reaction a couple days after her second shot. Women in her age group are most prone to the side affects I've read since.

Also know someone that was in the Pfizer trials who didn't know she was receiving a placebo, and had a strong reaction after her second dose. So in some it may be psychological.
Thing is that I am getting the shot on a Sunday ( Pfizer ) and have to work on Monday . As I never call in sick it would set the alarm bells off for me at work , which I would rather they know none of my business .

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 23, 2021 20:13

TheGreek
MisterDDDD
steffialicia
TheGreek
teleblaster

Thing is that I am getting the shot on a Sunday ( Pfizer ) and have to work on Monday . As I never call in sick it would set the alarm bells off for me at work , which I would rather they know none of my business .

Hydrate like crazy in the days leading up to the shot.

drink a lot of fluids the day of the shot.

I would tell your work that you are getting the vaccine...you shouldn't go to work if you have symptoms (just in case...odds are they'd be from the shot, but it is still proper protocol not to go in w/ symptoms, IMO)

kalí týchi!!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 23, 2021 20:20

TheGreek
teleblaster

It did me. Laid down that night after 2nd shot. Arm hurt twice as much than 1st shot. Woke up with severe chills. Fever went to 99.9. Bad headache. Fatigue. Mid-day next day all symptoms were gone. I was told the reaction meant my immune system was kicking in. I'll go with that.

Date: March 23, 2021 20:42

stickyfingers101
TheGreek
MisterDDDD
steffialicia
TheGreek
teleblaster

Hydrate like crazy in the days leading up to the shot.

drink a lot of fluids the day of the shot.

I would tell your work that you are getting the vaccine...you shouldn't go to work if you have symptoms (just in case...odds are they'd be from the shot, but it is still proper protocol not to go in w/ symptoms, IMO)

kalí týchi!!!
Euharisto , You are so wise ! Kali Tychi !!!!!!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...221222223224225226227228229230231...LastNext
Current Page: 226 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home