Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...220221222223224225226227228229230...LastNext
Current Page: 225 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 19, 2021 19:51

The entire Covid experience has really made the experience with my fellow humans a drag. So many jerkoffs here in America act like children. As if wearing a proper mask, over your mouth and nose, is something to rebel against. Like the virus itself is your grade school principal, and you're cool for going against it. If this country had entered World War II with this generation, we would be speaking German and eating spaetzle noodles. Which are delicious.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: March 19, 2021 19:56

24FPS
The entire Covid experience has really made the experience with my fellow humans a drag. So many jerkoffs here in America act like children. As if wearing a proper mask, over your mouth and nose, is something to rebel against. Like the virus itself is your grade school principal, and you're cool for going against it. If this country had entered World War II with this generation, we would be speaking German and eating spaetzle noodles. Which are delicious.

I completely agree.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 19, 2021 19:57

bv
If you are a republican living in California, you might dig up dirt about the CA democratic governor and post it here. If you are a democratic living in Florida, you might look for dirt about the republican governor in FL. Same with NY, same with GA, same with any state in USA, I assume. There is sadly a political mistrust in USA. Please do not bring that discussion here into IORR. One year into the pandemic, there are stupid people on all sides. No names mentioned, nobody forgotten. Just stick with the facts, I don't want to see the any domestic political propaganda fights here.

For the record, while I do live in California, I am not a a Republican. I simply posted an article from left/democratic leaning CNN that was critical of the democratic governor of California, and the fact
he's being recalled due to his mishandling of the pandemic. Just like there are articles in CNN on New York Gov. Cuomo and the way he has mishandled the pandemic (along with sexual harrassment claims).
That said, I'll try and avoid posting any "domestic political propaganda", but seems everything pandemic related here has politics intertwined with it one way or the other.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the meantime, here's another article from CNN that some no doubt will disagree with for whatever reason, but it's definitely relevant to this thread.

Here's what experts say is needed for US to return to normal. But these barriers stand in the way

CNN

States are pushing ahead with expanding Covid-19 vaccine access and rolling back restrictions on businesses and large gatherings as America seeks a return to normalcy. But experts say two barriers stand in the way of reaching herd immunity and getting back to life as we knew it -- Covid-19 variants and vaccine hesitancy. "We're seeing restrictions being lifted in so many parts of the country, we're seeing travel at an all-time high. People are already going back to pre-pandemic normal," emergency physician Dr. Leana Wen told CNN's Anderson Cooper on Thursday. "We have a pretty narrow window of opportunity to make clear what the benefits of vaccinations are. We know that these vaccines are really effective at preventing severe disease. They also do substantially reduce your risk in each of these different types of settings, whether it's going to the restaurant or gym, or seeing family and friends."

More than 22% of the US population -- 75 million people -- have received at least one dose of vaccine, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Among Americans 65 and older, more than 66% of the population have received at least one dose. Despite the progress, as of Thursday at least 10 states have seen reported increases of 10% or more in their daily average coronavirus cases when compared to last week, according to Johns Hopkins University data. The uptick comes as more states are reporting the spread of variants that are more infectious and may defeat prior immunity for those who had Covid-19.

The B.1.1.7 variant, first discovered in the United Kingdom, is projected to become the dominant variant by the end of March or early April, according to the CDC. Research from earlier in the year suggests that vaccination can still provide protection against new variants. Variants are also affecting the impact of certain monoclonal antibody treatments, according to an announcement by the Food and Drug Administration on Thursday. Because of the complications provided by variants, experts say mass inoculation is necessary. But according to Wen, the situation is more nuanced than believing American society is strictly divided between pro-vaccination and anti-vaccination proponents. "We're neglecting the huge number of people in the middle who need, who want to get the vaccine but may have some concerns or just don't have time to take time off of work or find child care," she said. "We need to make vaccination easy for those individuals and also really clearly demonstrate what is the benefit of vaccination, make clear the messaging that vaccines are the pathway back to pre-pandemic life."

States juggle expanding vaccine access and ending capacity rules
With an increase in supply, more states have expanded eligibility for the vaccines. In New Hampshire, residents 50 and older will become eligible on Monday, and the state plans to expand access to all its citizens 16 and older "in just a matter of weeks," according to New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu. When asked to comment on the state's rising average of new daily cases of Covid-19, Sununu said, "it's really about getting the hospitalizations and the fatality rate down, which is continually coming down." According to the governor, a lot of people are also getting lax about mask wearing and social distancing. "We are not out of this yet," Sununu said.

Starting Monday, Louisiana will expand vaccine eligibility to a long list of essential workers, including individuals working in higher education, food service and grocery stores, manufacturing, transportation, clergy and others. On Tuesday, Maryland will expand access to everyone ages 60 and up.
Kentucky will allow access to vaccination for those ages 50 and older starting Monday and aims for all adults to be eligible April 12. The state also joins others that have begun to open up gathering restrictions by easing curfews for bars and restaurants beginning Friday, capping them at 60% capacity.
Massachusetts will allow 12% attendance at stadiums, arenas and ballparks next week. Public-setting capacity limits are increased to 100 people indoors and 150 outdoors, with indoor house gatherings remaining at 10 people allowed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-19 20:00 by Hairball.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 19, 2021 20:18

24FPS

nah...the Russians would've whooped them and we would've just gotten fat-as-f__k a generation earlier....I mean, they did most of the work anyway.

I agree about the Mask-Thing, though.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 20, 2021 11:10

I called the pharmacy I use when they opened yesterday. They are part of a small chain & have constant computer issues. I was unable to get on a waiting list via their website. Turns out very few are calling direct to get on the waiting list. I was able to schedule for this afternoon. Am getting shot #1 of Moderne, which is the vaccine my doctor preferred that I get. He's been pretty wired into the whole process & that's the vaccine he chose. Coincidentally, Dr Fauci chose the Morderne vaccine also. So, fingers crossed all goes well & in a month or so a weight will be lifted off of me. It has been constant stress for the past year due to other health factors that made me a big target for the virus.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 20, 2021 17:50

crholmstrom
I called the pharmacy I use when they opened yesterday. They are part of a small chain & have constant computer issues. I was unable to get on a waiting list via their website. Turns out very few are calling direct to get on the waiting list. I was able to schedule for this afternoon. Am getting shot #1 of Moderne, which is the vaccine my doctor preferred that I get. He's been pretty wired into the whole process & that's the vaccine he chose. Coincidentally, Dr Fauci chose the Morderne vaccine also. So, fingers crossed all goes well & in a month or so a weight will be lifted off of me. It has been constant stress for the past year due to other health factors that made me a big target for the virus.

Wish you the best. I got Moderna too. It's been two weeks. I should be good to go, but I'm still going to wear a mask. One, to make others feel good. Two, to make sure I don't transmit it, or receive it. This virus is strange. You could get it, never get sick, and maybe you still have permanent damage to your organs. That' the untold story. How many people survived, but will never be the same health wise?

Date: March 20, 2021 18:54

To all my friends and relatives living in and around London, along with everyone else, hope this has settled down - stay safe!

> Anti-lockdown protests in London

> Anti-lockdown protesters clash with police

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 20, 2021 20:36

24FPS
crholmstrom

Wish you the best. I got Moderna too. It's been two weeks. I should be good to go, but I'm still going to wear a mask. One, to make others feel good. Two, to make sure I don't transmit it, or receive it. This virus is strange. You could get it, never get sick, and maybe you still have permanent damage to your organs. That' the untold story. How many people survived, but will never be the same health wise?

That's my approach with one caveat. I only am concerned about those who are trying to get vaccinated but haven't had the opportunity to get one yet. By the time we get into summer I won't give a rats a$$ about anyone who refuses to wear a mask and refuses to get the shot. Let em be Darwin award candidates since it is their choice.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 20, 2021 20:45

There were around one hundred people protesting against the current covid-19 rules in Oslo Norway this afternoon. They are sad ignorant people without masks, and without proper distance. Luckily almost all people in Norway ignore these people, also the press ignore them.

The covid-19 rules are there to protect our lives and our economy. I am glad I live in a country where most of the people trust the government, and their actions to keep the covid-19 numbers to an absolute minimum.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-20 22:59 by bv.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 20, 2021 20:51

Imran Khan tests positive two days after receiving the Sinopharm vaccine. Another leader, the Tanzanian President, who was a COVID denier, died a few days ago, rumoured to be as a result of the virus.

[www.theguardian.com]

Pakistan’s prime minister Imran Khan has tested positive for Covid-19.

Khan is currently self-isolating at home, according to the country’s health minister.

Sky News reports:

The premier received his first dose of the Sinopharm coronavirus vaccine two days ago – although it takes a few weeks for the immune system to build immunity.

This means people can become infected with Covid-19 just before or after receiving a vaccine and still get sick.

Reuters reports:

Khan, 68, has been holding regular and frequent meetings lately, including attending a security conference held in capital Islamabad that was attended by a large number of people.

He addressed the conference without wearing a mask, and attended another gathering to inaugurate a housing project for poor people in a similar fashion on Friday. Khan was vaccinated on Thursday.

The south Asian nation of 220 million is seeing a sharp rise in coronavirus infections.

According to numbers released by government, 3,876 people tested positive in the last 24 hours - the highest number of daily infections since early July - taking the total number of infections in the country past 620,000.

There were also 42 more deaths, taking the total to 13,799.

Date: March 20, 2021 21:26

Hairball
To all my friends and relatives living in and around London, along with everyone else, hope this has settled down - stay safe!

What bloody idiots. The police should disperse them with water cannons.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 20, 2021 22:31

Hairball

I went into town today for the first time since December and there was a heavy police presence but I wasn’t aware of the protesters until I came home and watched the news.
The police in London were heavily criticised last weekend for their handling of a vigil in Clapham for a lady that was kidnapped and murdered by a serving met police officer so they would have been very wary of using heavy handed tactics today even though these morons today would have been deserving of it.

Nate

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 20, 2021 23:17

bv
There were around one hundred people protesting against the current covid-19 rules in Oslo Norway this afternoon. They are sad ignorant people without masks, and without proper distance. Luckily almost all people in Norway ignore these people, also the press ignore them.

The covid-19 rules are there to protect our lives and ..... our economy. I am glad I live in a country where most of the people trust the government, and their actions to keep the covid-19 numbers to an absolute minimum.

Are you sure this isn't a typo BV by leaving out NOT " The covid-19 rules are there to protect our lives and NOT our economy"

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 21, 2021 00:02

NICOS
bv

The covid-19 rules are there to protect our lives and ..... our economy. I am glad I live in a country where most of the people trust the government, and their actions to keep the covid-19 numbers to an absolute minimum.

Are you sure this isn't a typo BV by leaving out NOT " The covid-19 rules are there to protect our lives and NOT our economy"

It is absolutely NOT a typo from my side.

Those countries who managed to keep the covid-19 cases low have TWO advantages:

- Less deaths, less rules, less shutdown, less closed business
- More open schools, more normal life

There are other countries who did not manage to close down fast. Especially the second and the third wave has been hard, both with covid-19 cases, as well as closed pubs, restaurants, curfew, rules of business limitations, closed schools etc. The economy have been suffering hard those places where they did not close down fast, where they ignored mask mandates, where they did not keep a distance and so on.

It is a big misunderstanding that less rules are good for the economy. It is not.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-21 09:31 by bv.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 21, 2021 00:05

NICOS
bv

Wouldn't speak for Bjornulf, (or question his statement) but wondering what s tough to comprehend about covid rules being in place to try to do both?

Not too tough to understand.. if there was complete lockdown for an extended period of time, the economy wouldn't do very well.
If everything was wide open with no covid rules, then most get sick and die, and the economy wouldn't do very well.

So a balance is needed, with rules in place to try to stop/slow the spread of the virus.
Not rocket science.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 21, 2021 00:46

I had to go to a pre-operative test clinic at Epsom Hospital this afternoon for blood tests etc. for my knee replacement operation on April 7th,and I have never seen it so quiet even for a weekend afternoon.

Apparently Epsom area has got very good stats as to how many covid cases and deaths been recorded just lately has been very low ,which I'm so glad about.

All the orthopaedic wards here have been put on hold for months now, for covid patients from a bigger area of London I think.

The nurse had told me I will be one of the first to have my knee op resumed again at Epsom Hospital on April 7th.

All seemed to be fine with the pre-op and can't wait to get my knee sorted out.

God Bless the NHS here in the U.K. thumbs up

Date: March 21, 2021 00:53

MisterDDDD
NICOS
bv

Wouldn't speak for Bjornulf, (or question his statement) but wondering what s tough to comprehend about covid rules being in place to try to do both?

Not too tough to understand.. if there was complete lockdown for an extended period of time, the economy wouldn't do very well.
If everything was wide open with no covid rules, then most get sick and die, and the economy wouldn't do very well.

So a balance is needed, with rules in place to try to stop/slow the spread of the virus.
Not rocket science.

With the vaccines its just a few more months assuming the dumbasses get the vaccine. Then the economy can recover. Pretty simple IMHO.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 21, 2021 07:42

daspyknows
24FPS
crholmstrom

That's my approach with one caveat. I only am concerned about those who are trying to get vaccinated but haven't had the opportunity to get one yet. By the time we get into summer I won't give a rats a$$ about anyone who refuses to wear a mask and refuses to get the shot. Let em be Darwin award candidates since it is their choice.

Problem with this, and I mostly agree, is that those people would still be transmitting the virus among themselves, and for the rest of us the vaccine is only at most 95% effective (so you could still contract the virus but you'd only have 5% of the possible reaction). In my case it would probably be a lot less, even though I've had both doses, as I have a condition where I'm told the vaccine seems to be of limited value, though more studies are ongoing. So the idiots could still cause misery for the rest of us.

Date: March 21, 2021 08:04

Aquamarine
daspyknows
24FPS
crholmstrom

Problem with this, and I mostly agree, is that those people would still be transmitting the virus among themselves, and for the rest of us the vaccine is only at most 95% effective (so you could still contract the virus but you'd only have 5% of the possible reaction). In my case it would probably be a lot less, even though I've had both doses, as I have a condition where I'm told the vaccine seems to be of limited value, though more studies are ongoing. So the idiots could still cause misery for the rest of us.

And for those who continue to transmit the virus among themselves, there's the realistic probability the virus will continue to mutate - possibly to the point of making the vaccine itself much more ineffective at best, and even useless in the worst case scenario. The only real hope is for as many people as possible gettine the vaccine sooner rather than later, but a recent poll I read says apprx. 30% in the US are either hesitant or completely unwilling to get vaccinated, and that poll included people from all walks of life with a variety of different political viewpoints. I also read that the recent Astrazeneca scare is having a rippling effect feeding into the conspiracy theorists and the anti-vaxxers, and making those who are hesitant even more cautious and skeptical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-21 08:04 by Hairball.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 21, 2021 11:40

been up all night with flu-like symptoms post vaccine shot. i was pretty much expecting it though & i'll live. i get the same thing when i have the yearly mega-flu shot & the shingles vaccine was somewhat nasty. is because of the other exotic meds i have to take. i'll live & it will be worth the discomfort in the long run.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 21, 2021 13:19

I understand how very difficult this year has been for many, but protesting COVID safety measures seems a bit like protesting during the Blitz. Would these people tell everyone to get out of the safety of the Underground and protest the Luftwaffe? The virus doesn’t care. SMH.

Date: March 21, 2021 18:00

Hairball
Aquamarine
daspyknows
24FPS
crholmstrom

And for those who continue to transmit the virus among themselves, there's the realistic probability the virus will continue to mutate - possibly to the point of making the vaccine itself much more ineffective at best, and even useless in the worst case scenario. The only real hope is for as many people as possible gettine the vaccine sooner rather than later, but a recent poll I read says apprx. 30% in the US are either hesitant or completely unwilling to get vaccinated, and that poll included people from all walks of life with a variety of different political viewpoints. I also read that the recent Astrazeneca scare is having a rippling effect feeding into the conspiracy theorists and the anti-vaxxers, and making those who are hesitant even more cautious and skeptical.

I agree with you but in my opinion the risk of mutation involves general transmission amongst the human race. If people in the US or Europe refuse the vaccine, keep them off of planes, out of concerts and other mass gatherings meanwhile put the shots in people's arms in Africa, South America, Southeast Asia to reduce the mutant strains happening worldwide. 6 billion people need to be vaccinated to end this pandemic not 600 million in Europe and North America. Now, the anti-vaxxer idiots in the US who refuse vaccines are likely the same people who would object to helping the third world country but so what.

Date: March 21, 2021 18:22

From the Associated Press:

A rapid COVID-19 vaccine rollout backfired in some US states

"The findings could contain an important go-slow lesson for the nation’s governors, many of whom have announced dramatic expansions
in their rollouts over the past few days after being challenged by President Joe Biden to make all adults eligible for vaccination by May 1".

> VACCINE

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: March 21, 2021 22:40

Just got my first jab today! Pfizer vaccine. I found out that as a caregiver for my elderly parents, I’ve been eligible since early February! But that wasn’t widely communicated and I was displeased that I hadn’t known that sooner. But I am very very happy to now be on my way to full immunization! Second jab will be in April.

Date: March 21, 2021 22:59

^ Congrats. Too bad the communication sucked but you are on your way. I got the first Pfizer vax on Friday as well.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: March 22, 2021 09:03

Potential cause of blood clots with Astra Zeneca vaccine found:

[beta.firstwordpharma.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 22, 2021 12:36

I rolled up my left sleeve and got the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday . My arm hurts as I was injected in the muscle . Has anyone else who got the Pfizer vaccine felt pain in there arm ? The RN Nurse who injected me said that my arm might hurt . Then I go to Home Depot afterwords and the cashier told me the same thing . Yesterday after the injection it was sore/hurt , today it hurts .

Date: March 22, 2021 12:39

JadedFaded
Potential cause of blood clots with Astra Zeneca vaccine found:

[beta.firstwordpharma.com]

Two more deaths in Norway yesterday...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 22, 2021 12:44

Also I have no intention of relaxing my mask usage as the virus variants still worry me . No letting my guard down what so ever ! Also I was told by the RN Nurse to laminate a copy of my vaccine card once i get my 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine and I can show that as proof of my being vaccinated .

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 22, 2021 14:01

Out of curiosity: would anyone here feel uncomfortable, or, perhaps, refuse the AstraZeneca vaccine? As it's not being used in much of the E.U., I suppose this question is aimed more at my fellow U.K. residents.

I had the AstraZeneca vaccine foe round 1 and have no qualms with having it once more. I just hope I'm not knocked-out for a week once again!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...220221222223224225226227228229230...LastNext
Current Page: 225 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home