Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...213214215216217218219220221222223...LastNext
Current Page: 218 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 1, 2021 19:54

Big Al
Out of curiosity: does anyone here know anyone personally, whose reluctant to get vaccinated? I know people who are uncertain and, one or two who'll only vaccinate if life becomes too restrictive otherwise. I suspect they'll come around as time progresses.

I have no plans to be vaccinated.

Date: March 1, 2021 20:35

Big Al
Out of curiosity: does anyone here know anyone personally, whose reluctant to get vaccinated? I know people who are uncertain and, one or two who'll only vaccinate if life becomes too restrictive otherwise. I suspect they'll come around as time progresses.

Unfortunately there are many people that refuse vaccination. The ones that I know-vaccinated- had zero or mild side effects.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 1, 2021 21:06

steffialicia
TheGreek
March 21, 2021, I roll up my sleeve and receive the vaccine.

I get my second on March 11 but I know we cannot change much in terms of masks, etc. until much of the population has received their vaccinations as well.
Correct , as one fella I work with said oh we can forgo the masks and I said nope , and that we still have to stay safe along with the new varients of the virus and we still have not gotten the upper hand on this killer virus we still have to stay safe and follow all safety measures regardless .

Date: March 1, 2021 21:09

Big Al
steffialicia
TheGreek

I get my second on March 11 but I know we cannot change much in terms of masks, etc. until much of the population has received their vaccinations as well.

I don think here, in the U.K., we can wait for everywhere else to catch-up, though. I don't think any nation should. Boarders will have to be closed for everything accept the most essential travel.
No argument from me and I agree . Everybody wants normalcy to return as I do but at what cost ? Becoming infected or God forbid perishing from the virus ? No thanks and I can wait it out and stay safe .

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 1, 2021 21:09

Big Al
grzegorz67
Javadave
I have noticed more of the over-65 crowd shopping in my store the last two weekends, many of them long-time regulars, unseen for the better part of a year. I’m guessing they all got vaccinated.

Shots every 2 years? Geez Louise, there’s got to be a better cure than that.

No one knows for sure yet, but it’s much more likely to be annual. Covid isn’t going away any time soon , but the vaccines will help us to live alongside it without it killing us.

And to allow us to get back to a pre-covid way of living. Well, relatively normal!

well...probably true...but, the vaccine is not gonna save us, I'm afraid.

if "normal" means "eating horrible food (and tons of it) and getting zero exercise"...don't expect different numbers during the next pandemic...or even this one (since the vaccine doesn't work as well on obese people)

I won't speak about other countries b/c I cannot speak intelligently on the subject....but, "normal" means "unhealthy" for many Americans....and that was/is part of the problem....a big part....

[chicago.suntimes.com]

Those who are 40 or under account for only 2.5% of COVID deaths. However, almost 40% of the death records for that group indicate obesity was a contributing cause of death.

The vaccine is a fine TOOL to fight the virus (and I plan to get the vaccine), but it just one tool....your OWN body is your best weapon against the virus.

the smartest things you can do (IMO) are:

a) Lose that extra 5 to 300+ pounds you're carrying around
b) Start walking, running, biking, swimming, surfing, XCountry skiing, dancing.....SOMETHING...ANY form of exercise....20-30 min. per day
c) Stop smoking

d) get the vaccine....but if you aren't gonna do A, B, C...well...

Date: March 1, 2021 21:17

Big Al
I know several . One ex military who says he has had his share from being a Gulf War vet and his distrust of the USA , another claims he doesn't know what ingredients are in the vaccine and also refuses to wear a face covering at work and is thumbing his nose at disciplinary threats .

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 1, 2021 21:25

TheGreek
steffialicia
TheGreek

Correct , as one fella I work with said oh we can forgo the masks and I said nope , and that we still have to stay safe along with the new varients of the virus and we still have not gotten the upper hand on this killer virus we still have to stay safe and follow all safety measures regardless .

It's been almost two weeks since my second shot.
Only difference for me so far is the peace of mind of knowing I'm not likely to need hospitalization or die from the virus.
Still mask up, still make only essential errands etc., but if I forget something at the grocery store, I'll run back in now as opposed to waiting for next trip.

They say to wait two weeks from the last shot for it to be fully effective, and this coming weekend my wife and I are planning our first social outing in over a year.
Dinner at a couple's house who are also two weeks away from their last jab. Going to feel strange to be in someones home without any substantial distancing measures in place etc., but seems a safe first step back to some normalcy. Not going to any restaurants etc for a while.. it's not the food I miss, but the environment anyway, and that's not coming back for a while.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: March 1, 2021 22:25

I had my vaccination last week. Took 30 seconds. I don't know what all the fuss is about - just get it done and protect yourself and those around you.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 1, 2021 22:35

THE AGE --- 2 March 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: March 1, 2021 22:38

My 80 year old obese aunt refuses to get vaccinated because it is her “personal right to decide not to”. And her behavior is riskier than mine because she goes to friends homes, inside, and no one wears masks. It is the same group of friends, but how does she know if they are all taking enough precautions elsewhere? I think she is being very recklessly foolish, but she and I disagree on politics and politics have heavily influenced her opinions on vaccination, sadly.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 1, 2021 23:20

Big Al

A 70-year-old friend was going to decline the vaccine due to allergies so numerous and severe that she was once laid up for 6 weeks after a regular flu shot. But she became eligible for the vaccine last week and decided to go. She received the Pfizer and, aside from a sore arm and bouts of fatigue, she’s fine. The effects may be stronger with the 2nd shot, but she didn’t have an allergic reaction, just the relatively standard short-term aches and pains. I’ll take the shot when it’s available but that won’t likely be until July for me. Canada is lagging badly on vaccine delivery, with about 3% having received a shot so far, not many having received the second.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 1, 2021 23:59

JadedFaded
My 80 year old obese aunt refuses to get vaccinated because it is her “personal right to decide not to”. And her behavior is riskier than mine because she goes to friends homes, inside, and no one wears masks. It is the same group of friends, but how does she know if they are all taking enough precautions elsewhere? I think she is being very recklessly foolish, but she and I disagree on politics and politics have heavily influenced her opinions on vaccination, sadly.

I know someone that has a similar attitude. Believes the opinion aka lying aka fake "news" show and thinks aka believes all the scientists are wrong or politically motivated (sounds a lot like a chemtrailer, because every airplane pilot wants to poison their family and friends as well because there are way more chemtrails in the sky now than in the 1960s or whatever their crying is about that ignores and denies change). It's like the autism schism - I know of a friend who had a friend who heard of a friend whose kid got autism from a measles shot so ALL vaccines are bad! With undeniable proof, of course. It's the "My dog doesn't bite" attitude. ALL DOGS BITE.

It's astounding. This someone had... a quintuple aortic stenosis surgery 2 years ago (as I recall, they thought it would be 2 bypasses but...), prior to that it was a replaced knee and prior to that some pretty serious back surgery. Between the back and knee surgery his wife died.

I know I'm stating the obvious here but it's truly so bizarre - doesn't it seem strange to go through all of those things and not get vaxxed? Seems like building the perfect house, getting everything in it you love etc and then standing in the middle of it and setting it on fire because you don't feel like living in it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 2, 2021 01:55

From CNN:
All our recent progress with Covid-19 could be wiped out by variants, CDC director says. 'Please stay strong'

COVID

(CNN)The US is at risk of losing all its recent gains in the battle against Covid-19 as highly contagious variants take advantage of Americans getting lax with safety measures.
"Please hear me clearly: At this level of cases with variants spreading, we stand to completely lose the hard-earned ground we have gained," said Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. After weeks of tumbling case numbers, new infections are on the rise again -- about 2% more this past week compared to the previous week, Walensky said Monday.
"Similarly, the most recent seven-day average of deaths has also increased more than 2% ... to nearly 2,000 deaths per day."

Walensky also called out states that were easing up on Covid-19 safety mandates. "I am really worried about reports that more states are rolling back the exact public health measures we have recommended to protect people from Covid-19," she said."Please stay strong in your conviction. Continue wearing your well-fitting mask and taking the other public health prevention actions that we know work," Walensky added.
"Ultimately, vaccination is what will bring us out of this pandemic. To get there, we need to vaccinate many more people."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-02 01:55 by Hairball.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 2, 2021 03:05

1st jab tomorrow.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 2, 2021 06:51

JadedFaded

Hate to say it but that's what funerals are for. You can't fix stupid and politics confirms stupidity in many cases.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 2, 2021 08:46

grzegorz67
Big Al
grzegorz67
Javadave
I have noticed more of the over-65 crowd shopping in my store the last two weekends, many of them long-time regulars, unseen for the better part of a year. I’m guessing they all got vaccinated.

Shots every 2 years? Geez Louise, there’s got to be a better cure than that.

No one knows for sure yet, but it’s much more likely to be annual. Covid isn’t going away any time soon , but the vaccines will help us to live alongside it without it killing us.[/quote
And to allow us to get back to a pre-covid way of living. Well, relatively normal!

Let’s hope so. I agree with your idea of closing borders to all bar essential travel with full testing of all arrivals. So it looks like a year of travelling within the U.K. only but I can happily live with that if it means relative normality. Fingers crossed....

Unless it’s for business or to visit relations, I simply do not ‘get’ this British obsession with boarding a plane and holidaying. Why? To visit bloody Dubai? Am I only the only one who isn’t arsed about stepping on a plane?

Date: March 2, 2021 16:37

More good news coming today on the single shot J&J vaccine.
While this one-shot vax has a lower efficacy rate than Pfizer, Moderna etc. at 72%, like the others, it is 100% effective in preventing serious illness and death. Without needing deep freeze handling. Testing is underway to determine whether a second shot boosts the efficacy rate up with the others, which seems likely.

Biden to announce ‘historic partnership’: Merck will help make Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine, officials say

President Biden will announce Tuesday that pharmaceutical giant Merck will help make Johnson & Johnson’s single-shot coronavirus vaccine — an unusual pact between fierce competitors that could sharply boost the supply of the newly authorized vaccine, according to senior administration officials.
The officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a matter that has not been announced, said they began scouring the country for additional manufacturing capacity after they realized in the first days of the administration that Johnson & Johnson had fallen behind in vaccine production. They soon sought to broker a deal with Merck, one of the world’s largest vaccine makers, which had failed to develop its own coronavirus vaccine.
Under the arrangement, Merck will dedicate two facilities in the United States to Johnson & Johnson’s shots. One will provide “fill-finish” services, the last stage of the production process during which the vaccine substance is placed in vials and packaged for distribution. The other will make the vaccine, and has the potential to vastly increase supply, perhaps even doubling what Johnson & Johnson could make on its own, the officials said.

“It’s a historic partnership,” said one of the officials, adding that the companies “recognize this is a wartime effort.” He praised their sense of “corporate citizenship.”
The officials declined to provide details about how Merck’s involvement will affect the projected supply of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and the timetable for distributing it. It could easily take two months to get the “fill-finish” plant ready and a few more months to equip the other facility to make the vaccine, according to a person familiar with the process who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the issue.
How does the Johnson & Johnson vaccine work? When is it available? What to know about the new shot.
The Biden administration’s efforts to ramp up production of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine suggest that it sees the vaccine playing a bigger role in addressing the challenges ahead, such as the eventual need for children’s vaccines and possibly for boosters to counter virus variants, said a person familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss it. Johnson & Johnson is conducting a trial of a two-shot vaccine regimen, with the doses given two months apart; results are not expected until at least May.

The administration officials indicated Biden would wield the powers of the Defense Production Act, a Korean War-era law, to give Merck priority in securing equipment it will need to upgrade its facilities for vaccine production, including the purchase of machinery, bags, tubing and filtration systems.
In teaming up with Merck, Johnson & Johnson has a partner with a century-long tradition of making vaccines. In the United States, Merck is the sole supplier of the combination childhood vaccine that protects against measles, mumps and rubella. It developed Gardasil, which protects against the human papillomavirus. And it won Food and Drug Administration approval for an Ebola vaccine in 2019.

But the company, which makes vaccines in North Carolina, Pennsylvania and elsewhere, encountered setbacks in its quest to develop a coronavirus vaccine. Merck announced Jan. 25 that it was halting work on two experimental shots for the virus. The vaccine did not stimulate enough antibodies in Phase 1 human clinical trials to justify continuing, the company said.
Johnson & Johnson has been searching the world for manufacturing sites where it could produce doses of its vaccine on a global scale. It has publicly disclosed more than half a dozen manufacturing sites on four continents that it said were winnowed from more than 100 possibilities.
“While the science and the biology, the chemistry is certainly challenging … the engineering feat of actually producing it is just as challenging, and we’ve been working very, very closely with partners around the world,” Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky told CNBC on Monday.

Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine uses an adenovirus vaccine as a vector — a harmless cold virus that does not replicate in the body — to deliver DNA instructions into a healthy human cell. The cell uses the genetic instructions to create a replica of a coronavirus spike protein that triggers an immune response that can recognize — and respond to — the real thing. The U.S. government paid the company $2 billion for development and clinical trials and preorders at a price of $10 per dose just days after it received emergency authorization from federal regulators.
The FDA on Saturday authorized the Johnson & Johnson vaccine for use in those 18 and older. The company said it would immediately ship nearly 4 million doses in the United States, and a total of 20 million by the end of March, which is 17 million less than expected under its government contract. Its current schedule calls for a recovery from those delays, with the company saying it is on track to deliver 100 million doses by the end of June. A top company executive told Congress last week that it has a goal of manufacturing 1 billion doses worldwide by year’s end.
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 2, 2021 16:52

GasLightStreet
JadedFaded

I know someone that has a similar attitude. Believes the opinion aka lying aka fake "news" show and thinks aka believes all the scientists are wrong or politically motivated (sounds a lot like a chemtrailer, because every airplane pilot wants to poison their family and friends as well because there are way more chemtrails in the sky now than in the 1960s or whatever their crying is about that ignores and denies change). It's like the autism schism - I know of a friend who had a friend who heard of a friend whose kid got autism from a measles shot so ALL vaccines are bad! With undeniable proof, of course. It's the "My dog doesn't bite" attitude. ALL DOGS BITE.

It's astounding. This someone had... a quintuple aortic stenosis surgery 2 years ago (as I recall, they thought it would be 2 bypasses but...), prior to that it was a replaced knee and prior to that some pretty serious back surgery. Between the back and knee surgery his wife died.

I know I'm stating the obvious here but it's truly so bizarre - doesn't it seem strange to go through all of those things and not get vaxxed? Seems like building the perfect house, getting everything in it you love etc and then standing in the middle of it and setting it on fire because you don't feel like living in it.

"does your dog bite?"

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 2, 2021 17:39

GasLightStreet
JadedFaded

Don't waste your energy on those kind of people, GLS. Just let them fade away ... those Covidiots ...

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 2, 2021 17:51

TheflyingDutchman
Big Al

Unfortunately there are many people that refuse vaccination. The ones that I know-vaccinated- had zero or mild side effects.

Including Elmo. Just a bruised arm.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: March 2, 2021 20:06

From CNN:

Whole towns are refusing Covid-19 vaccines in Mexico

Indigenous communities like Aldama have a history of mistrust toward the federal government.
In the best of cases, community leaders say, they have been ignored. In the worst of cases, they've been subjected to land-grabs, discrimination, abuse and attacks.
This time, it seems a lack of information and conspiracy theories that have spread in the region like wildfire are to blame for vaccine hesitancy.
Tomás López Pérez, Aldama's town secretary, told CNN that people there, including himself, strongly believe vaccines can do more harm than good.
"People are not well informed regarding this. Since we don't really know what vaccines are made of, we believe that they contain the [Covid-19] virus
and that's the main reason why people don't want to get vaccinated," López said.

More.> Vaccine

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: March 2, 2021 20:53

stickyfingers101

"does your dog bite?"

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for that clip, I needed a good laugh!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 2, 2021 21:05

Hopefully, those too dense to get vaccinated will catch Covid and die, that will pretty much clear up that problem (the Darwin defense). I just hope they go off to some isolated compound and do not burden the medical system with their need for a brain transplant, and not from Abby Normal which would just be trading one bad brain for another.

I get my first tomorrow. Vaccine that is, not brain. My current gray matter seems to function ok as it is, thank you.

jb

Date: March 2, 2021 21:57

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-02 22:37 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: March 2, 2021 22:47

Texas 100% open for business next week.
I'm sure many of you who post every day on this thread will lose your minds for the next couple of pages.
No masks either.

[www.dallasnews.com]

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: March 2, 2021 23:28

nellcote'71
I'm sure many of you who post every day on this thread will lose your minds for the next couple of pages.
No masks either.

[www.dallasnews.com]
excellent, not like NYS which sucks dick

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: March 2, 2021 23:28

bleedingman
Big Al

I have no plans to be vaccinated.
me too, it’s a money maker for pfizer

Date: March 3, 2021 00:29

nellcote'71
No masks either.

[www.dallasnews.com]

Mississippi also.

Texas And Mississippi To Lift COVID-19 Mask Mandates And Business Capacity Limits

COVID19

"Starting tomorrow, we are lifting all of our county mask mandates and businesses will be able to operate at full capacity without any state-imposed rules.
Our hospitalizations and case numbers have plummeted, and the vaccine is being rapidly distributed. It is time"! - Mississippi Governor Tate Reeves

Posted by: chris girard ()
Date: March 3, 2021 00:31

I have had my first shot and scheduled for the second one in 2 weeks. I know two people who have a long term case of COVID. One has been sick now for 3 months, we just did a go fund me to collect $5,000 for her so she can pay the rent and bills. She is now unemployable. I know another person who is retired, and been sick now for two months, has develop diabetes,suffers from acute fatigue. He was an avid motorcycle enthusuast, now is unable to ride. I am more afraid of the long term affects than of dying. There is no way I'm not getting the 2nd shot. Here in MD the roll out has been terrible, very disorganized and vaccine shortages are frequent. Stay safe everyone, wear your mask and get a shot.

Date: March 3, 2021 00:33

More good vaccine news here in a week that's already had quite a bit.

Biden says US will have enough vaccines for every adult by end of May
President announces the cooperation of health care competitors to produce new vaccine en masse

The US will have enough Covid vaccine doses for every American adult by the end of May, Joe Biden announced at a press briefing on Tuesday.
The rollout of that vaccine supply could, however, take longer since the distribution involves immense resources and convoluted logistics to actually get shots into people’s arms.
“We’re now on track to have enough vaccine supply for every adult in America by the end of May,” Mr Biden told reporters, flanked by Vice President Kamala Harris.

The president criticised his predecessor, Donald Trump, for failing to ink contracts with Covid vaccine suppliers for enough doses.
“About three weeks ago, we were able to say that we’d have enough vaccine supply for adults by the end of July,” Mr Biden said, suggesting that actions taken under his administration had sped up the timeline.

“We rectified that,” the president said of a potential vaccine supply shortage.

Helping to speed up the mass inoculation of the US population is the introduction of a third approved vaccine, from the drugmaker and medical manufacturer Johnson & Johnson.
The single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine joins the two-dose Moderna and Pfizer vaccines currently in circulation in the US. All three vaccines have been touted as “highly efficacious” at preventing both the spread of the virus and people’s level of illness if they do happen contract it.

“The J&J data that just came out — when you have advanced critical disease, there were no hospitalisations and no deaths. That’s good news,” Dr Anthony Fauci, the top infectious disease expert in the US, said in an interview with CBS’s Margaret Brennan on Sunday.

In other words, all three vaccines have proven 100 per cent effective at preventing deaths. The risk of hospitalisation also plummets to virtually zero for people who receive any of the three vaccines.
[www.independent.co.uk]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...213214215216217218219220221222223...LastNext
Current Page: 218 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home