Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...209210211212213214215216217218219...LastNext
Current Page: 214 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: February 18, 2021 19:47

JadedFaded
My 90 and 91 year old parents, who I take care of, got their second COVID vaccinations today. This is a big relief for me as I have been terrified of bringing COVID home to them. I am very careful, but it was always a worry for me.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 18, 2021 21:20

Human trials starting up in the UK:

"Covid-19: World's first human challenge trials to start in UK"

[www.bbc.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 18, 2021 21:43

bleedingman
Human trials starting up in the UK:

"Covid-19: World's first human challenge trials to start in UK"

[www.bbc.com]

Good trail to understand the spreading of corona or any other virus

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 19, 2021 03:34

Hairball
Major storms wreaking havoc in the US in more ways than one....

Via CNN:

After the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned that severe weather around the US will delay Covid-19 vaccine deliveries in the coming days,
infectious disease expert Michael Osterholm says this will not slow down production, it will just delay when the shots get into people’s arms. Instead, the big concern
is the availability of enough doses and how many people can be vaccinated before the anticipated surge in Covid-19 cases due to the UK variant.

“This very likely, in the next five to 14 weeks, is going to cause a major surge of cases in this country. And our own work has shown that … over 30 million Americans
over the age of 65 will not have access to vaccine in these next 12 to 14 weeks. That's a real challenge,” Osterholm said.

> Vaccine delays

UPDATE: Even with the beautiful weather here in the Southern California area, the storms across the US are having an impact here, and hopefully this won't cause too much of a domino effect.

Via Eyewitness News channel 7, Los Angeles

More than 12,000 vaccine appointments in Los Angeles delayed because of weather

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- More than 12,000 vaccination appointments scheduled for Friday in Los Angeles will be delayed because of bad weather across the country, Mayor Eric Garcetti said Thursday afternoon.
At least two major shipments, totaling more than 60,000 doses, have been held up in Kentucky and Tennessee because of icy roads and grounded flights amid a massive winter weather storm across large portions of the country. About 12,500 people in the city of Los Angeles who had vaccinations scheduled Friday will be notified that their appointments are being postponed. They should expect to receive notifications by text, email or phone about rescheduling. The announcement was put out by the city of Los Angeles. The city said the delays only affect the super sites, while vaccinations for the city's mobile clinics will continue as scheduled. It was not known yet whether Saturday appointments would also be postponed.

More.> Vaccination Delays

I feel bad for all of those who had appointments postponed, and hope they can reschedule asap. Also, with the major surge of cases in this country expected in the next few weeks, any such delays are the last thing we need right now. Living an hour north of L.A. in Ventura County, not sure exactly when I'll become eligible to get the vaccine, but am hoping it's sooner rather than later.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 19, 2021 06:31

I received my second shot this week, as did my wife.
Had real concerns about the weather related delays, but Washington allocated their existing supply this week for second shots, with few first shots available.

My wife is a first responder, and while much younger than I, we both were able to get ours at essentially the same time. Very grateful for that.
Also worked in my favor to be a spouse of a first responder apparently, as well as living in a multi-generational household.
I was quite surprised when I found out I was eligible and made an appointment straight away, a bit like snagging Lucky Dips.. hours at the computer and patience.

By the time I wait the recommended two weeks for the vaccine to have done it's job, it will be one year since we first went into lockdown here.
Nothing but gratitude to those working round the clock to make these vaccines a reality so quickly.

Date: February 19, 2021 08:48

Wow, didn’t know it was that hard to get an appt. Congrats on your “lucky dip tix” MisterDDDD! Any side effects to report?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 19, 2021 09:05

makemeburnthecandle
Wow, didn’t know it was that hard to get an appt. Congrats on your “lucky dip tix” MisterDDDD! Any side effects to report?

I’m not sure how it works in the U.S, but here in the U.K., the vaccine is being rolled-out in stages: care home residents and carer’s, frontline NHS staff, 75-80 year-olds, 70-75, etc. Also, those - like myself - who are considered ‘critically extremely vulnerable’ I must admit, I genuinely didn’t think they’d get around to me so quickly. As I stated in my earlier post, my first jab is on Sunday.

Date: February 19, 2021 10:02

I'll get my first jab late in March (Yep, we're slow at this).

I'm in "group 4" (Group 1 is care home residents and selected NHS-workers, group 2 is 85+ year olds and selected NHS-workers, group 3 is 75-84 year olds and group 4 is 65-74 year olds and people between 18 and 64 in the high risk group).

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 19, 2021 11:10

DandelionPowderman
I'll get my first jab late in March (Yep, we're slow at this).

I'm in "group 4" (Group 1 is care home residents and selected NHS-workers, group 2 is 85+ year olds and selected NHS-workers, group 3 is 75-84 year olds and group 4 is 65-74 year olds and people between 18 and 64 in the high risk group).

Yep! I'm group 4, too.

Date: February 19, 2021 14:37

makemeburnthecandle

Yeah.. when they opened up stage 1b here, appointments became very tough to find.
I went to a large testing/vax site in the county next to mine where the virus first hit in the US. They did a great job and actually made it kind of fun..a celebration/recovery room where you have to wait a bit afterwards with music, air high fives, etc.

Got my final shot Wednesday, and I did feel mild flu like symptoms most of the day and yesterday as well. Slight headache, queasy stomach, etc. Feel great today!

This is Washington State's stages.. I landed in 1b tier 1.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 19, 2021 14:53

misterDDDD
Yeah.. when they opened up stage 1b here, appointments became very tough to find.
I went to a large testing/vax site in the county next to mine where the virus first hit in the US. They did a great job and actually made it kind of fun..a celebration/recovery room where you have to wait a bit afterwards with music, air high fives, etc.

Got my final shot Wednesday, and I did feel mild flu like symptoms most of the day and yesterday as well. Slight headache, queasy stomach, etc. Feel great today!

This is Washington State's stages.. I landed in 1b tier 1.

That looks very good! Lucky you don't live in the Netherlands. Our highly developed country (something to be proud of) has shown a totally unacceptable failure where it comes to preparing (misplanning), scheduling and actually running a vaccination program. On a scale of 17.5 million people they haven't reached the total of one million vaccinations yet angry smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 19, 2021 23:51

I had my first shot in NM. I was in the 1B group and waited for a call from the health dept., after registering Dec. 23rd. When it didn't come. I heard an acquaintance suggest to call my doctor. It worked, because the doc was affiliated with a major medical center. Everyone in my line had called a doc. A week later, my real turn came up, with the code for an appointment, so I gave it away to someone with an at risk condition. I get the second stab on March 12.

Thanks for telling how you got in, and your side affects from vaccine 2, MrDDDD. About two days of them, eh, was that Pfizer or Moderna, guessing Pfizer because of the timing.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: February 20, 2021 01:48

Yes, had the Pfizer one andee...
So glad to hear you got your first!!

About a day and a half with the mild symptoms, but enough to get my attention.
Mainly a headache.. they say not to take anti-inflammatories prior to the shot,
I have to take them regularly so perhaps that contributed..not sure.

Based on the timeline, I'm assuming Moderna for you?

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 20, 2021 03:45

Do they know if any of the vaccines stop the spreading of the virus yet?

Call your local Walgreens, or cvs, about an 1.5 hours b4 closing. A couple of work vaxxers were lucky to get their jabs that way. Lol

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: February 20, 2021 04:28

Every state in the US has its own tier levels. I take care of my elderly parents so would love to get vaccinated sooner, but I am not yet eligible and probably won’t be for a few more months. After my parents’ second shot, my dad had a very sore arm. My mom ran a low grade fever and was so weak, she could not stand or walk in the afternoon! That was frightening, but she slept for a few hours after taking acetaminophen and by evening she was absolutely fine. Phew!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 20, 2021 08:50

Louisiana opened up a whole bunch of new eligible categories this week, which is kind of unfortunate in a way because our weather has been similar to Texas, and highways have been closed in addition to pharmacies, etc., so vaccine delivery has been affected. Hopefully with a gradual thaw coming things will pick up.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 20, 2021 13:22

MingSubu

Israeli studies find Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine reduces transmission (Reuters Feb 19, 2021)

Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine greatly reduces virus transmission, two Israeli studies have found, shedding light on one of the biggest questions of the global effort to quash the pandemic.

Data analysis in a study by the Israeli Health Ministry and Pfizer Inc found the Pfizer vaccine developed with Germany’s BioNTech reduces infection, including in asymptomatic cases, by 89.4% and in syptomatic cases by 93.7%.

Bjornulf

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: February 20, 2021 13:55

bv
MingSubu

Israeli studies find Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine reduces transmission (Reuters Feb 19, 2021)

Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine greatly reduces virus transmission, two Israeli studies have found, shedding light on one of the biggest questions of the global effort to quash the pandemic.

Data analysis in a study by the Israeli Health Ministry and Pfizer Inc found the Pfizer vaccine developed with Germany’s BioNTech reduces infection, including in asymptomatic cases, by 89.4% and in syptomatic cases by 93.7%.

Now that's promising to read. Pfizer is heading my way so encouraging

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 20, 2021 16:06

My ex-girlfriend that got COVID, she got a blood test recently because she gave blood. No SARS-CoV-2 antibodies.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 20, 2021 16:30

In Germany experts will introduce on Monday, 22-Feb-2021 a scientific study which describes measures that will allow again large events. Only 25-30% of the venue-capacity will be used, with personalized Tickets, medical masks wearing is mandatory, no drinks/food, plus the usual social distancing & hygiene measures and so on. No preferential treatment for vaccinated. This study was supported among others by the Festivals Hurricane, Wacken, Rock am Ring, Rock im Park and Lollapalooza. More details on Monday, 22-Feb-2021 - [www.FAZ.net] - (in German). See also: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: February 20, 2021 17:03

Is this true? Heard in the news: extended lockdown in Ireland till May and 90% corona mutants.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 20, 2021 17:35

MisterDDDD
Yes, had the Pfizer one andee...
So glad to hear you got your first!!

About a day and a half with the mild symptoms, but enough to get my attention.
Mainly a headache.. they say not to take anti-inflammatories prior to the shot,
I have to take them regularly so perhaps that contributed..not sure.

Based on the timeline, I'm assuming Moderna for you?

Thank you. Moderna, yes. Hoping for no more than mild symptoms, just glad for the appointment.
I'm moving almost three weeks after that, so I'll feel somewhat protected during the process with
the movers.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 20, 2021 17:44

The coming two months of March and April will be the hardest months of the entire pandemic for Norway, also for most other countries in Europe.

More and more countries do close their borders, to avoid variants (mutants), and they take control of the virus by closing down areas as the virus is being detected.

It is a race - mutants vs vaccine. The vaccine will win, but meanwhile we have to be very careful.

Nakstad: - The next two months will be very difficult. March and April could be the most difficult in the entire pandemic, believes assistant health director Espen Nakstad. The mutated viruses make it hard to keep schools and kindergartens open. (nrk.no)

Bjornulf

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 20, 2021 18:15

It doesn't stop (20-Feb-2021): Russia has registered the first case of a strain of bird flu virus named A(H5N8) being passed to humans from birds and has reported the matter to the World Health Organization (WHO) - [www.Reuters.com] .

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 20, 2021 22:07

GasLightStreet
My ex-girlfriend that got COVID, she got a blood test recently because she gave blood. No SARS-CoV-2 antibodies.

Did she have COVID longer than six months ago? Because the thinking seems to be that the antibodies don't last beyond that.

Date: February 20, 2021 23:45

Beast
GasLightStreet

Did she have COVID longer than six months ago? Because the thinking seems to be that the antibodies don't last beyond that.

Could be a false positive test?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 21, 2021 02:03

I hope this thread won't last any longer than Rockies 1.000.000 views confused smiley

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 21, 2021 16:28

Very interesting article:

Dr. Says U.S. Will Have Herd Immunity by April

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-21 16:30 by kovach.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 21, 2021 18:27

kovach

Seems more like a Scott Atlas type opinion piece. You might have a few neighborhoods where this applies but when the majority of people have neither had the virus nor had the vaccine. Considering there are multiple strains, some people have been infected twice and the common cold which is also a coronavirus tends to re-infect humans talk of herd immunity in 60 days is just clickbait.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: February 21, 2021 18:49

kovach

Other Doctors say we are headed for another wave in March and April that will be the worst one yet. Who knows at this point? I have literally no optimism for the future anymore.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...209210211212213214215216217218219...LastNext
Current Page: 214 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home