Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...199200201202203204205206207208209...LastNext
Current Page: 204 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 20, 2021 04:27

Chris Fountain
Open Florida versus Closed California - Number of cases nearly the same. Analysis:

[www.foxnews.com]

Analysis is biased. Fox News is not a credible source for Covid information. Much more nuanced analysis would be very different.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 20, 2021 05:00

bv
Rather than trying to twist any data into making some politicians lookingt better than others, I would prefer news sites where data are data and politics are politics.

Facts:

Florida : 1,130 deaths per million population
California : 854 deaths per million population

Higher death rate in FL despite ~same infection rate may be due to huge elderly population in FL.

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: January 20, 2021 06:54

Aren't they a pack of ass@#$%s. As for Tomic's GF = Oxygen thief.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 20, 2021 07:57

daspyknows
Chris Fountain
Open Florida versus Closed California - Number of cases nearly the same. Analysis:

[www.foxnews.com]

Analysis is biased. Fox News is not a credible source for Covid information. Much more nuanced analysis would be very different.

That is beyond correct. Its true name is Fox Opinions. That article is baited and worded to incite political stances, as the comments reflect.

CA cases 3.06M Deaths 34,196

FLA cases 1.59M Deaths 24,435

Does Florida seem low? There's been a lot of grumbling about fake numbers in FLA.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 20, 2021 11:09

GasLightStreet
daspyknows
Chris Fountain

[www.foxnews.com]

That is beyond correct. Its true name is Fox Opinions. That article is baited and worded to incite political stances, as the comments reflect.

Does Florida seem low? There's been a lot of grumbling about fake numbers in FLA.

ell I posted the article with intent of providing metrics of two states with respect to Covid and how they differ. That's all.

No offense whatsoever, I read the article again and honestly do not see political motives. The article imo should not have put emphasis on number of cases as opposed to the death rate.

Also, in defense of the article, yes, both governors were mentioned for their approaches; however, article did not Bad Mouth either one or take a political perspective.

If the metrics do not agree with CDC then they shouldn't have publish the article.
It is sad that we have to challenge every major news media outlet that may have a political bias,

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 20, 2021 12:49

Corona virus in Africa:

Coronavirus: Africa infections rising sharply in worst-affected countries (BBC Jan 15, 2021)

How do death rates in Africa compare?

The reported death rate per capita on the continent has been low compared with other parts of the world, despite the weak health infrastructure in many African countries.

There could be a number of reasons for the relatively low figures:

+ The relatively young population - more than 60% are under the age of 25
+ Experience in epidemic control from tackling other diseases
+ Cross-immunity from other coronaviruses
+ Low rates of travel and more outdoor living might also help

Bjornulf

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 20, 2021 13:06

Interesting reading regarding the African continent. What should be remembered regarding the relatively young population, is that the life-expectancy is lower than what it is on other continents. It's only 62 in Zimbabwe, for instance.

Date: January 20, 2021 13:37

Most African countries don't have the means to buy vaccins. 2022 or 2023 at best.

Date: January 20, 2021 13:40

TheflyingDutchman
Most African countries don't have the means to buy vaccins. 2022 or 2023 at best.

That'll certainly be the case for some of them, definitely.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 20, 2021 13:44

About Africa. They are young, and they are healthy.

List of countries by obesity rate (Wikipedia)

I have been to Tanzania six times, also to Kenya. They are on average young, and the are slim, because they walk a lot, for hours. Number of people being overweight is 36% in USA, 8% in Tanzania (60 million population), and 9% in Nigeria (200 million population).

Covid-19 is more dangerous by high age, and by other diseases. We do see that most athletic people under the age of 40 hardly take any notice of covid-19. That is just one of several reasons why covid-19 does not hit as hard in Africa, like it does in the socalled western world, where people have almost unlimited access to food and cars.

Bjornulf

Date: January 20, 2021 13:52

Big Al
TheflyingDutchman

That'll certainly be the case for some of them, definitely.

I hope you're right. It was on the Dutch news last night. Of course reality is much more complicated and hierarchy-related.

Date: January 20, 2021 14:11

bv
About Africa. They are young, and they are healthy.

I have been to Tanzania six times, also to Kenya. They are on average young, and the are slim, because they walk a lot, for hours. Number of people being overweight is 36% in USA, 8% in Tanzania (60 million population), and 9% in Nigeria (200 million population).

Covid-19 is more dangerous by high age, and by other diseases. We do see that most athletic people under the age of 40 hardly take any notice of covid-19. That is just one of several reasons why covid-19 does not hit as hard in Africa, like it does in the socalled western world, where people have almost unlimited access to food and cars.

They do, generally, eat a healthier diet. They have to walk more due to poorer road systems and unreliable public transport.

It cannot be ignored, however, that the average life-expectancy is so low in southern Africa, for instance. In Swaziland - a very high HIV/AIDS-rate - it's something like 50. No wonder the population is so young.

Date: January 20, 2021 14:15

Fascinating, yet scary. 27.80 for the U.K.? My goodness!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 20, 2021 14:56

I thought the Sumo Wrestlers would have skewed the Japanese rate Higher smiling smiley

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 20, 2021 16:35

Surprised that New Zealand is relatively high on the list. I thought the people were very into outdoor activities.

Many, if not all, of the Pacific islands in the top 10 for obesity have no coronavirus cases. No prizes for guessing why that should be.

Date: January 20, 2021 17:26

Chris Fountain
It is sad that we have to challenge every major news media outlet that may have a political bias,

It is sad that they all have a bias and you can't trust any of them without corroborating the story elsewhere, which is what journalist used to do for you.

Now too many publishing info from 1 anonymous source. All in a rush to be the first and to fill a 24X7 news cycle.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: January 20, 2021 21:32

+ The relatively young population - more than 60% are under the age of 25
+ Experience in epidemic control from tackling other diseases
+ Cross-immunity from other coronaviruses
+ Low rates of travel and more outdoor living might also help[/quote]

I’d say this is spot on bv and thank goodness Africa has these points in favour

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: January 20, 2021 21:53

So it turns out on Tuesday I did NOT register my parents, 90 and 91, for vaccination, I only registered them for that day. The wait list I thought they were on was just for that day only. I found out I have to try repeatedly every day to get them an appointment for that day. Wish I had known that right away. The communications around vaccination procedures are really lousy.

Date: January 20, 2021 22:34

I was able to get appointments for my parents for Friday, but at the furthest away vaccination site, over an hours drive away, so not ideal. It will be very difficult for them to be in the car for at least 3 hours. I will keep trying to find something closer. The system they are using is a mess! But I will be very happy if they can get their first shots on Friday.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 21, 2021 04:50

Chris Fountain
GasLightStreet
daspyknows
Chris Fountain

[www.foxnews.com]

ell I posted the article with intent of providing metrics of two states with respect to Covid and how they differ. That's all.

No offense whatsoever, I read the article again and honestly do not see political motives.

You have to read it with a different mind frame - one that understands how they stoke their fires. The entire article, like many of their "articles", exists to instigate. That aside, it's very simple:

Fox News is not a credible source of information because it has no information, it's opinion.

That's all. Nothing else.

Date: January 21, 2021 08:30

I was able to find appointments for my parents today to get vaccinated at Petco Park. The last time I was there was to see the Stones. The traffic was worse today. We got to 5 blocks from the vaccination site and it took a full two hours to drive those 5 blocks. When we finally got into the parking lot, it took another 50 minutes to get the vaccinations. For 90 and 91 year olds, so many hours sitting in the car (altogether just under 5 hours as it was a long drive too) was an ordeal, but at least they got their first shots. It was the Moderna vaccine and they had no reactions. I hope it will be easier in 28 days to get their second shots.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 21, 2021 14:02

already new executive orders from Joe Biden are in effect mandating the wearing of masks in the USA....a promising start

Date: January 21, 2021 14:16

Rip This
already new executive orders from Joe Biden are in effect mandating the wearing of masks in the USA....a promising start

Is it not generally mandatory, anyway? I thought this was about government employee's now having to wear them inside the workplace.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 21, 2021 14:45

21-Jan-2021 - IOC chief declares that Tokyo Olympics will go ahead: "We have, at this moment, no reason whatsoever to believe that the Olympic Games in Tokyo will not open on 23 July in the Olympic stadium in Tokyo. This is why there is no plan B and this is why we are fully committed to make these games safe and successful.” - [www.TheGuardian.com] .

Date: January 21, 2021 14:50

Big Al
Rip This

Is it not generally mandatory, anyway? I thought this was about government employee's now having to wear them inside the workplace.

I believe it's only in effect on federal property.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 21, 2021 15:48

Glastonbury cancelled again.

[www.theguardian.com]

There have been comments from the Eavis family that the festival might go bankrupt if it can't run this year.

Date: January 21, 2021 15:56

GasLightStreet
Chris Fountain
GasLightStreet
daspyknows
Chris Fountain

[www.foxnews.com]

No offense whatsoever, I read the article again and honestly do not see political motives.

You have to read it with a different mind frame - one that understands how they stoke their fires. The entire article, like many of their "articles", exists to instigate. That aside, it's very simple:

Fox News is not a credible source of information because it has no information, it's opinion.

That's all. Nothing else.

All news channels have Opinion shows along with hard News shows, as does Fox News. Maybe some have more Opinion vs. News than the other, I haven't really sit down to compare. But just as your local newspapers have Op-Ed articles, so do news channels.

Special Report with Brett Baier is an excellent News show, he's a fantastic reporter, I'd urge folks to give it a try if they watch just one show on the channel, it may change folks opinions.

The show just before it and the 3-4 that follow it are opinion shows, and yes they certainly lean 'right'.

MSNBC is on the far 'left' end of the spectrum (and you have lesser known, newer channels on the far 'right' as well like OAN and NewsMax), and CNN falls somewhere between Fox and MSNBC though certainly leans at least slightly 'left'.

If 'news' from 'opinion' can be separated, hopefully you see the same stats at more than one channel and therefore have facts. I wouldn't trust (or on the other hand completely dismiss) any single source; I want to see it from multiple sources.

And I think it's even dangerous if opinion shows pretend to be news or the lines are blurred enough to where you can't tell the difference. I routinely flip through many of the ones I mentioned to make sure I'm getting the full picture (yes it's winter and I can't wait to turn off all news and sit outside and listen to music and read instead with a cold beer in hand!).

Just curious though for the wider international audience outside of the U.S. however, do you even have more than one U.S. news channel or is CNN pretty much it and therefore you really don't have much of an opportunity to compare news sources to get the big picture??

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 21, 2021 16:03

kovach
Big Al
Rip This

I believe it's only in effect on federal property.

yes..."This executive action will direct the agencies to take action to require compliance with CDC guidance on mask wearing and physical distancing in federal buildings, on federal lands and by federal employees and contractors,"

its already better than before....step by step.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 21, 2021 20:50

One year ago to the day, the first sign of the virus in the US was diagnosed in the county neighboring mine here in NW Washington.
Today, I made an appointment for my first vaccine shot next week in that county.

Washington State is doing a good job with the vaccine rollout, hopeful with the new administrations focus on getting 100 m people vaccinated in the next 100 days,
we are finally able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: January 21, 2021 22:20

MisterDDDD
One year ago to the day, the first sign of the virus in the US was diagnosed in the county neighboring mine here in NW Washington.
Today, I made an appointment for my first vaccine shot next week in that county.

Washington State is doing a good job with the vaccine rollout, hopeful with the new administrations focus on getting 100 m people vaccinated in the next 100 days,
we are finally able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Happy for you MisterDDDD. I'm still eagerly waiting in Florida.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...199200201202203204205206207208209...LastNext
Current Page: 204 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home