Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...196197198199200201202203204205206...LastNext
Current Page: 201 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: January 14, 2021 23:28

wonderboy
I'm sorry to see the situation has deteriorated in Ireland, Germany and California. For a while they were held up as doing things the right way. It seems the virus can only be dampened down for so long; eventually it catches fire.
Here in Michigan the vaccine rollout is going very slowly. I hope the new president creates some urgency and finds new avenues for distribution. The current methods are very rule-bound and restrictive.

It's awful here in Florida too.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 15, 2021 03:48

This is the California Plan. There looks to be at least 3 venues where I have seen the Stones being used as mass vaccination sites. Oakland Coliseum, Levi's Stadium and El Dorado Polo Club where Desert Trip was held.

[covid19.ca.gov]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 15, 2021 04:03

daspyknows
This is the California Plan. There looks to be at least 3 venues where I have seen the Stones being used as mass vaccination sites. Oakland Coliseum, Levi's Stadium and El Dorado Polo Club where Desert Trip was held.

[covid19.ca.gov]

Thanks for the link - I've also seen the Stones at all those venues, and also at Dodger Stadium, Anaheim stadium, and Petco Park which I think bv recently had mentioned as being vaccination sites?
Can't seem to find these venues in that link ... maybe I'm overlooking it...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 15, 2021 04:31

If this was a Monty Python sketch I'd be laughing so hard. Unfortunately, it's not. By the way, here in Brazil we still don't have a vaccination plan. We're hoping the vaccination may start next week, but we can't be sure. This week, the Health Minister stated that the vaccination will start on D-day at the H-hour. And he was not joking.

Brazil sends aircraft to collect vaccines, 'too early' for exports, says India

A statement issued by Brazil’s foreign ministry on Wednesday said an Airbus A330neo aircraft of Azul Airlines equipped with special containers was set to fly back from Mumbai with two million doses of vaccine from Serum Institute of India and reach the country on January 16.

Brazil appears to have jumped the gun by officially announcing the despatch of an aircraft to transport two million doses of Covid-19 vaccine from India, with New Delhi making it clear on Thursday that decisions on supplies to foreign countries will take more time.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 15, 2021 05:37

Hairball
daspyknows

[covid19.ca.gov]

Thanks for the link - I've also seen the Stones at all those venues, and also at Dodger Stadium, Anaheim stadium, and Petco Park which I think bv recently had mentioned as being vaccination sites?
Can't seem to find these venues in that link ... maybe I'm overlooking it...

None of the sites are officially designated but expect that soon. Hoping March is the month.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 15, 2021 07:53

Cristiano Radtke
If this was a Monty Python sketch I'd be laughing so hard. Unfortunately, it's not. By the way, here in Brazil we still don't have a vaccination plan. We're hoping the vaccination may start next week, but we can't be sure. This week, the Health Minister stated that the vaccination will start on D-day at the H-hour. And he was not joking.

A statement issued by Brazil’s foreign ministry on Wednesday said an Airbus A330neo aircraft of Azul Airlines equipped with special containers was set to fly back from Mumbai with two million doses of vaccine from Serum Institute of India and reach the country on January 16.

Brazil appears to have jumped the gun by officially announcing the despatch of an aircraft to transport two million doses of Covid-19 vaccine from India, with New Delhi making it clear on Thursday that decisions on supplies to foreign countries will take more time.

Was there any report on the reliability of the Indian vaccine? Or is the “western” world denying its existence?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 15, 2021 10:55

georgie48

Was there any report on the reliability of the Indian vaccine?

Not yet for the Covaxin by Indian Bharat Biotech which has an emergency approval there since 3-Jan-2021 - [www.FT.com] , [In.News.Yahoo.com] .

FAQ-factsheet for Covishield vaccine by Serum Institute of India (SII) - [Health.EconomicTimes.IndiaTimes.com] .

They're not denied by western countries - we have some reports about it in Germany's main news, e.g. [www.Tagesschau.de] , [www.Tagesschau.de] - (in German). But it seems that the data for an approval don't match the strict criteria of western countries.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-16 12:00 by Irix.

Date: January 15, 2021 13:03

Irix
georgie48

Was there any report on the reliability of the Indian vaccine?

Not yet for the Covaxin by Indian Bharat Biotech which has an emergency approval there since 3-Jan-2021 - [www.FT.com] , [In.News.Yahoo.com] .

FAQ-factsheet for Covishield vaccine by Serum Institute of India (SII) - [Health.EconomicTimes.IndiaTimes.com] .

They're not denied by western countries - we have some reports about it in Germany's main news, e.g. [www.Tagesschau.de] - (in German). But it seems that the data for an approval don't match the strict criteria of western countries.

Thanks Irix.
I recently heard an interview on the radio where people working for an Italian race cycling team (including cyclists) had been vaccinated against Covid-19 with a vaccine from China.
I'm in no way saying that Indian and/or Chinese vaccines can not be trusted, but it would be good to follow those (in the "western" world) who receive or have received a vaccine from those countries and see the results in a few months after vaccination.
Here the media rediculously emphasize that there have been a couple hundred complaints of "side effects" after vaccination. The emphasis on "couple hundred" it typical for media hype. By far the most "side effects" are the same as after Flu vaccination (temporary local pain around the vaccination spot, slight headache, some feeble muscles, slight fatigue). Only a few had allergy responses, which could be treated on the spot. The sheer fact that they mention "a couple hundred" already scares of ignorent people. Too bad.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 15, 2021 14:22

Cristiano Radtke

You are right about this being Monty Python material, except no one could ever make this kind of stuff up! I know it's not much consolation, but Brazil is not alone. The UK, for one, has made its own fair share of gaffes throughout this pandemic. Back in May, for example, it flew in 84 tonnes of PPE equipment (400,000 gowns) from Turkey that turned out to be unusable because they didn't meet the required standards.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 15, 2021 15:27

kovach
bv
President Elect Biden in USA is stating they look at using all the doses right away, like they do in UK, rather than stocking up on half of the doses for the next shot three weeks later. I think that is a good idea. You get may be 85% protection from the first shot, then the 3nd shot three weeks later will make you 95% or so safe. There will be large numbers of vaccine doses coming every week to those who have arranged for deliveries. With a proper logistics plan all the shots will be safe into arms of those who need it the most.

I thought I read somewhere the first shot caused about 52% immunity within a week and the second shot, a larger dose, bumped it up to 95% again within a week. Maybe there's a difference between vaccines, not sure. And I think 1 vaccine's 2nd dose is 3 weeks later and the other 4 week's.

I do worry about logistics, things haven't really gone as planned in the US, they're way behind their goals of giving the vaccine, though I'm not really sure where the breakdown in plans is there.

I do know a lot of people are declining the vaccine, which is bad news for the country as a whole, but others who want it are getting it earlier than they originally were told they were which I guess is a good thing for them.

Some more info on what a single dose gives you:

Single Dose Immunity %

Date: January 15, 2021 16:14

kovach
kovach
bv
President Elect Biden in USA is stating they look at using all the doses right away, like they do in UK, rather than stocking up on half of the doses for the next shot three weeks later. I think that is a good idea. You get may be 85% protection from the first shot, then the 3nd shot three weeks later will make you 95% or so safe. There will be large numbers of vaccine doses coming every week to those who have arranged for deliveries. With a proper logistics plan all the shots will be safe into arms of those who need it the most.

I thought I read somewhere the first shot caused about 52% immunity within a week and the second shot, a larger dose, bumped it up to 95% again within a week. Maybe there's a difference between vaccines, not sure. And I think 1 vaccine's 2nd dose is 3 weeks later and the other 4 week's.

I do worry about logistics, things haven't really gone as planned in the US, they're way behind their goals of giving the vaccine, though I'm not really sure where the breakdown in plans is there.

I do know a lot of people are declining the vaccine, which is bad news for the country as a whole, but others who want it are getting it earlier than they originally were told they were which I guess is a good thing for them.

Some more info on what a single dose gives you:

Single Dose Immunity %

Hi Kovach,
I just spent about an hour and half to read the link and sub links. Very informative material! And I would recommand it to others too.
With my analytical background and past extensive communication with virologists while I was hit by sarcoidosis a lot that is written makes complete sense, but surely isn't commonly known stuff among a fast mojority of people. Some scientific details may be difficult to understand by those with no scientific background, but there is enough info for many to understand the concepts of the messages.
Thanks!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 15, 2021 17:53

Interesting stuff, Kovach - so many people saying to me (half joking) "so you'll be going down the pub now?" As if you had 100% protection the day after the jab.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 15, 2021 18:49

Wishful thinking about the pub for a while yet at least!

It’s said that anyone having the vaccine will build better immunity if they get a good night’s sleep beforehand and avoid alcohol for a day or two before and after. Not sure if the same applies to the coronavirus vaccine, but it’s apparently preferable for the same reason to have a flu vaccine in the morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-15 18:52 by Beast.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: January 15, 2021 20:32

It is worrisome that in the rush to vaccinate as many people as possible as quickly as possible, second doses may be delayed for longer than recommended by the studies.

In San Diego County, there are still 600,000 health care providers that need to be vaccinated before the public. At the rate they are vaccinating now, it could take two months before the public (65 and older) can get vaccinated, per KSWB news. I really want my 90 and 91 year old parents to get vaccinated!!

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 15, 2021 20:45

Global death toll from COVID-19 tops 2 Million. Probably many more then that.

[www.yahoo.com]

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 15, 2021 22:18

I'd like to see them turn distribution over to the private sector. Especially here in the U.S. government agencies can't handle a project this big.
Also I think you'll get more vaccination coverage if you open it up to the general public right away.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: January 15, 2021 22:58

Now I’ve read in the San Diego Union Tribune that Ralph’s/Kroger’s has begun vaccinating over 65 year olds, but the Ralph’s website says only health care workers in California. The problem seems to be extremely limited distribution of vaccine. So even if they opened it up to everyone today, you can’t vaccinate more people without more vaccine availability. But I agree that having thousands of local governments across the country all doing it differently doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 15, 2021 23:11

Well if you have 3000 viles of vaccination in fridge/freezer, it doesn't matter; still need enough personnel with license to administer shots. That is the bottleneck

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: January 15, 2021 23:18

As of January 15, 2021 the United States has 4 percent of the worlds population but 24 percent of the coronavirus cases. The US also had 20 percent of the worlds coronavirus deaths. Is the US a third world country? Many people in the US don’t even wear masks. If I really speak my mind the post would be removed. This is total failure and an a embarrassment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-15 23:19 by Rocknroll1969.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 15, 2021 23:49

Rocknroll1969
As of January 15, 2021 the United States has 4 percent of the worlds population but 24 percent of the coronavirus cases. The US also had 20 percent of the worlds coronavirus deaths. Is the US a third world country? Many people in the US don’t even wear masks. If I really speak my mind the post would be removed. This is total failure and an a embarrassment.

This pandemic is terrible, but in many countries deaths are not counted, so it is difficult to put up a statistic here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-15 23:57 by windmelody.

Date: January 16, 2021 00:26

Rocknroll1969

The UK, Italy, Spain, Belgium and probably a few other Euro nations have as many deaths. Maybe it's a first-world virus.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 16, 2021 00:40

Beast
Cristiano Radtke

You are right about this being Monty Python material, except no one could ever make this kind of stuff up! I know it's not much consolation, but Brazil is not alone. The UK, for one, has made its own fair share of gaffes throughout this pandemic. Back in May, for example, it flew in 84 tonnes of PPE equipment (400,000 gowns) from Turkey that turned out to be unusable because they didn't meet the required standards.

Yes, it's not much consolation indeed. It would be better if gaffes like that would not happen, but that's very out of our reach, sadly.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 16, 2021 17:00

There is not enough vaccine confused smileysad smiley

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Date: January 16, 2021 18:15

JadedFaded
It is worrisome that in the rush to vaccinate as many people as possible as quickly as possible, second doses may be delayed for longer than recommended by the studies.

In San Diego County, there are still 600,000 health care providers that need to be vaccinated before the public. At the rate they are vaccinating now, it could take two months before the public (65 and older) can get vaccinated, per KSWB news. I really want my 90 and 91 year old parents to get vaccinated!!

what a joke.. feel sorry for the people in the USA. They sure must deserve better?

Date: January 16, 2021 18:27

wonderboy
Rocknroll1969

The UK, Italy, Spain, Belgium and probably a few other Euro nations have as many deaths. Maybe it's a first-world virus.

You mean "new" world or "western" world, I guess.
You're right. With the U.K. as "leader of the west-European pack", followed by Italy and so on, "we" are almost levelhead with the USA and Canada. Only Latin America as a whole is doing worse.
Despite some local panic, as a whole East- and Southeast Asia is way behind (in this case meaning "doing way better") the others. Imagine, Japan doesn't have a proper vaccination program running yet! There hasn't been any him/herself respecting virologist daring to say that Asians respond differently on Covid-19.
Loosening up in Japan is now showing its signs in the wrong direction. I dare to say that the latest two generations of Japanese have adopted to much of western behavior, even with an essentially deep Japanese culture underneath.
No surprise that almost 90% of its population doesn't want the Olympic Games to take place this year in Japan. Let's wait and see how the Japanese government (and business world) will respond to this ... confused smiley

Date: January 16, 2021 19:42

Re: Japan
My brother is a teacher there. He says that on one hand, the people tend to wear masks and act in unison. On the other hand, the post-WW2 constitution forbids any type of government-ordered lockdown.
The schools have stayed open throughout.
You could say the virus is a first-world or modern virus is that it mainly kills older people or people with cardio/lung issues. A hundred years ago, those people weren't alive!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 16, 2021 20:11

The number of fatalities related to the corona virus is a measure of how the governments and the people work together in fighting the pandemic.

Coronavirus Cases - view by country (worldometers)

Sort the above report by "Deaths / 1 Mill population.

Japan with 35 deaths per one mill population do have a current 2nd wave, but that wave is nowhere close to the waves and corona virus numbers we have seen in USA and Europe.

1,000+ deaths per mill:
Belgium, USA, UK, Italy, Sweden, France, Mexico, Peru and others

50 or less deaths/mill:
Japan, Kenya, Australia, South Korea, Cuba, Thailand, Tanzania and others

These numbers are saying it is possible to control the virus, but sure it takes a lot of trust and cooperation between authorities and the people who live there.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 16, 2021 20:12

From the L.A. Times yesterday:

L.A. County set to open five new COVID-19 vaccination sites, aiming for 20,000 shots per day

"...The sites are Pomona Fairplex (L,A. County Fairgrounds), the Forum in Inglewood, Cal State University Northridge, the L.A. County Office of Education in Downey and Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia"

"In L.A. County we have to vaccinate 10 million people, twice. These large-scale vaccination sites are going to help us get there by massively increasing our capacity to vaccinate people quickly and efficiently.” - Supervisor Janice Hahn.

Also heard on the news that Disneyland aka "the happiest place on Earth" down in Orange County will be a vaccination site, along with Petco Park down in San Diego and many other places throughout the SoCal area.

Seems to be an uphill battle for the time being with the latest waves of those infected and new mutations spreading faster, but eventually the vaccinations will help to overcome the virus.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 16, 2021 20:25

The way things are going there will be no second doses for anyone, it will all be used up on initial doses. That means, no real immunity which means we start all over again in a couple of months. One step forward two step backward down in a babylon.

jb

Date: January 16, 2021 20:57

wonderboy
Re: Japan
My brother is a teacher there. He says that on one hand, the people tend to wear masks and act in unison. On the other hand, the post-WW2 constitution forbids any type of government-ordered lockdown.
The schools have stayed open throughout.
You could say the virus is a first-world or modern virus is that it mainly kills older people or people with cardio/lung issues. A hundred years ago, those people weren't alive!

A friend of one of my daughters is also teaching and living in Tokyo. She frequently reports and is surprised to see many Japanese not wearing masks. The streets of Tokyo are less crowded, but still relatively crowded.
A niece and the sister-in-law of my wife are giving different views (Gifu prefecture). People in villages (many elder people) avoid bigger towns (20.000+) as much as possibly. Even more so because in those towns worrying numbers of infections surface lately. Again, also there using masks is less than one would expect.
Still, compaired with Europe and the Americas, we're talking about peanuts.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...196197198199200201202203204205206...LastNext
Current Page: 201 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1461
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home