Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...195196197198199200201202203204205...LastNext
Current Page: 200 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 12, 2021 22:49

Everything in Norway was closed from March 12 until late April. Everything. Then schools, restaurants, sales of real estate, normal business, opened up gradually during April, May and June. There was Easter holidays during these six weeks, so all in all the children lost just four weeks or so.

Sure the older kids may learn from computer based contact with the teacher. Sure even younger kids may learn from contact with the teacher through the PC. Still, if the child have a tough time at home, then school is the only place where they can feel peace and safe.

The schools were closed by political reasons, even if the health authorities said it was not recommended. That was probably the only major difference between what health authorities recommended, and what politicians enforced through strong advice as well as emergency laws.

During late spring, summer, also after summer, a lot of the school was outside, where ikt is safer corona wise. I met school classes every time I did my trips through the nearby forests and hillsides. I am sure they got a lot of fresh air, as well as more social contact.

Children need a lot - a lot - of social contact. You can't run a school by keeping children at home.

These days, when we have higher corona virus numbers than ever, they still keep schools open, but they work hard on cohorts, smaller groups, separating classes by different hours of start and end class, some times half day home and half day school is the numbers are very high in a county.

This will work only until there is a tipping point. At that tipping point, the virus is out of control, and lockdown is the only option.

Just an example. The school near us had a positive corona case with a child age 12 (grade six). The entire class of 25 or so children went into quarantine for 10 days, where they later on had a total of five children, all their parents, and als some other of their relatives, all testing positive. The rest of the school was open as usual, and that class were back in business as usual 10 days later, the outbreak was contained. Test - trace - quarantine. Meanwhile I think they had the reaching through their computers through those ten days.

You may test, trace and quarantine as long as there is some sort of control, some sort of lockdown on the rest of the country. If too many people do not care, if too many go to church, if too many have large parties, and if too many ignore the quarantine rules, then schools have to close, like the rest. It is a shame.

Bjornulf

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 13, 2021 03:53

stickyfingers101
we're simply too pampered and weak, IMO...people can't spend 1 Thanksgiving or Xmas or Hanukkah or Kwanza away from their families???

not in my country (the US) apparently...at least not what I've seen.

My ex-girlfriend told me about going to Tennessee to meet up with family for Thanksgiving. They were going to do it in 2019 but it didn't happen. 2020 they did. She talked to me about it, I told her it was something that can wait. Oh noooo, they had to do it.

They did.

No one got COVID. Her boyfriend at the time didn't go.

A month later (after she replaced him with someone else that has already had COVID) they met up in Mississippi for Christmas (sans new boyfriend). This time she didn't talk to me about it. This time some of them had COVID and spread it! She got it!

She STILL hasn't told me!

Meanwhile I spent those two holidays with my family, all the same two people I see on a regular basis and four I don't see on a regular basis that have kept to themselves. Some other family stopped by, we hung out on the porch for a few minutes. We kept out distance the whole time and ate outside. That's what you do - keep your distance - even though we all knew we don't have it. You just do it anyway. That's just how it is.

Neither time did anyone get COVID because nobody had it and nobody has it.

My ex? Before going up to Mississippi she had been going to work out and posted pics of herself working out - one with a mask and one without. After Christmas she went there, not knowing at the time she had COVID. She swears she's careful but I know otherwise (not just from those pics but from others as well). She has an autoimmune disease yet she's been with three guys (and a dinner date with another) since she broke up with me in August. Apparently she's impermeable to COVID. All of that after months of us being careful. One guy for two weeks (that she found online), one guy for not quite two months (another online) and now another guy (FaceBook then on the phone for three hours with him right after she friended him - a girl that swears up and down she hates talking on the phone).

That's awesome, eh? My friend. I guess not so much my friend anymore - unless she needs something.

Me - I've not being going out, haven't been looking for a girlfriend or anything else except making groceries, just keeping to myself and visiting my two family members and one buddy I watch Saints games with who is extremely careful. Basically keeping to myself and a very small circle because that's what is safe, that's what will keep me healthy.

I don't have an autoimmune disease. I don't have the weird drive to socialize and have sex with strangers that I have no reason to trust and not give a damn for some inane reason.

Blows. My. Mind.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 13, 2021 11:02

Prayers up for 1 of my best friends. He lives in Bristol, UK & has some serious underlying health issues. In the hospital with COVID-19 now. Zero good in this & am quite concerned. sad smiley

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 13, 2021 12:07

Got vaccinated last night in a hall (in Glasgow) which I'd last been inside in 2003 to see the Stones (twice).

Date: January 13, 2021 12:42

teleblaster
Got vaccinated last night in a hall (in Glasgow) which I'd last been inside in 2003 to see the Stones (twice).

That's very appropriate! smiling smiley

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 13, 2021 12:56

DandelionPowderman
teleblaster

It would be nice to receive the vaccines in Vredenburg Theatre in Utrecht. Great accoustics, when I (we) saw the Stones there in 2003. It would sure bring back great memories winking smiley. Two to three months patience and who knows?
Meanwhile we continue to LIAGT :smileys with beer

Date: January 13, 2021 15:25

georgie48
DandelionPowderman
teleblaster

It would be nice to receive the vaccines in Vredenburg Theatre in Utrecht. Great accoustics, when I (we) saw the Stones there in 2003. It would sure bring back great memories winking smiley. Two to three months patience and who knows?

It was quite spooky actually as it's been converted to a temporary (I hope) COVID hospital with bed space for up to 1,000 patients. Thankfully, it hasn't required to be used for this yet, but the sight of so many bed spaces brings home the sheer numbers involved in tackling this virus.

And yes, it did bring back some memories of that tour; also got great memories of Paris (Bercy), Rotterdam (Ahoy) and London (Astoria and Twickenham). We all managed to get about a bit then!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: January 13, 2021 16:15

I'm happy for those who have received their vaccine. Still trying and waiting in Florida, USA. It's an extremely frustrating "system".

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 13, 2021 16:27

crholmstrom
Prayers up for 1 of my best friends. He lives in Bristol, UK & has some serious underlying health issues. In the hospital with COVID-19 now. Zero good in this & am quite concerned. sad smiley

sending good Mojo to your friend....stay safe, stay strong!

Date: January 13, 2021 16:35

steffialicia
I'm happy for those who have received their vaccine. Still trying and waiting in Florida, USA. It's an extremely frustrating "system".

I got mine as my work is considered an essential service, otherwise I'd also be playing the waiting game.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 13, 2021 17:18

teleblaster

Hoping you lifted your eyes to the rafters and whispered ‘Haste ye back’ at that moment!

Date: January 13, 2021 18:11

SomeTorontoGirl
teleblaster

Hoping you lifted your eyes to the rafters and whispered ‘Haste ye back’ at that moment!

Was certainly thinking that and harking back to what now seem like the glory days when we took such pleasures as live music and good company for granted. I still have a "B stage - band only" sign that I snaffled from that show.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 13, 2021 18:25

stickyfingers101
crholmstrom

sending good Mojo to your friend....stay safe, stay strong!

thanks

Date: January 13, 2021 18:51

teleblaster
georgie48
DandelionPowderman
teleblaster

It was quite spooky actually as it's been converted to a temporary (I hope) COVID hospital with bed space for up to 1,000 patients. Thankfully, it hasn't required to be used for this yet, but the sight of so many bed spaces brings home the sheer numbers involved in tackling this virus.

And yes, it did bring back some memories of that tour; also got great memories of Paris (Bercy), Rotterdam (Ahoy) and London (Astoria and Twickenham). We all managed to get about a bit then!

You're right. I was merely kidding, but like you, wouldn't feel comfortable seeing such a place transferred into a kind of hospital.
Currently in the Netherlands the government and experts are discussing what to do if the "English" mutation of Covid-19 would take over (it's already there!). Again they are not capable of thinking "avoiding is better than dealing with it when trouble has started".
They "study" the actions taking place in the U.K. because of the dreadfully fast spreading mutation. Instead they should anticipate and take action before it's once again too late. Too much "if if if" going on. When will they ever learn?
Anyway, stay healthy!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 13, 2021 18:57

I have an appointment for my first shot of vaccine tomorrow afternoon. Not in a big venue but in a health centre just round the corner from the Eel Pie Island museum. Nice surprise - I thought my group wasn't due for weeks yet.

4% of the UK population so far have had at least one vaccination - it's a race against the ever increasing numbers of people in hospital, though now we are back in lockdown the number of new infections has started to come down very slightly over the last few days. God knows it needs to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-13 19:00 by Green Lady.

Date: January 13, 2021 19:16

georgie48
teleblaster
georgie48
DandelionPowderman
teleblaster

You're right. I was merely kidding, but like you, wouldn't feel comfortable seeing such a place transferred into a kind of hospital.
Currently in the Netherlands the government and experts are discussing what to do if the "English" mutation of Covid-19 would take over (it's already there!). Again they are not capable of thinking "avoiding is better than dealing with it when trouble has started".
They "study" the actions taking place in the U.K. because of the dreadfully fast spreading mutation. Instead they should anticipate and take action before it's once again too late. Too much "if if if" going on. When will they ever learn?
Anyway, stay healthy!

The "English" mutation moved into Scotland really quickly and is significantly more infectious. It's ravaging parts of Central Scotland and this is evident in not only the daily statistics, but in personal experience. I have had more work colleagues infected since Christmas than in the whole preceding year. It's a horrible development in a horrible virus and we must put our trust in the scientists and take responsibility for keeping ourselves and others safe. There's no point in thinking about timescales just now, I think, we just need to do all we can to control the spread of this virus. If we can do that, then life will start to get better.

Date: January 13, 2021 19:21

Green Lady
I have an appointment for my first shot of vaccine tomorrow afternoon. Not in a big venue but in a health centre just round the corner from the Eel Pie Island museum. Nice surprise - I thought my group wasn't due for weeks yet.

4% of the UK population so far have had at least one vaccination - it's a race against the ever increasing numbers of people in hospital, though now we are back in lockdown the number of new infections has started to come down very slightly over the last few days. God knows it needs to.

It's really good to see people getting the vaccine so quickly now. I personally felt a sense of relief once I got mine. I also felt like going to the pub, but of course that wasn't an option. No side effects today, not even the sore arm that I was expecting to develop.

Date: January 13, 2021 21:02

teleblaster
georgie48
teleblaster
georgie48
DandelionPowderman
teleblaster

Anyway, stay healthy!

The "English" mutation moved into Scotland really quickly and is significantly more infectious. It's ravaging parts of Central Scotland and this is evident in not only the daily statistics, but in personal experience. I have had more work colleagues infected since Christmas than in the whole preceding year. It's a horrible development in a horrible virus and we must put our trust in the scientists and take responsibility for keeping ourselves and others safe. There's no point in thinking about timescales just now, I think, we just need to do all we can to control the spread of this virus. If we can do that, then life will start to get better.

Scotland too? The last two days we get highly alarming information about the situation in Ireland too and, compared with yesterday, even a kind of panic among politicians and experts over here. Possibly very soon more strict rules will be announced. For working and otherwise in- and outdoor active people (sports f.i.) very disturbing.
Me? I'm just doing my jigsaw puzzle until it "rains" anymore winking smiley

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 14, 2021 00:21

Over 1500 deaths here in the U.K. today the highest recorded daily number so far in the pandemic.

Nate

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 14, 2021 02:01

It pains me to say that the UK reportedly has the second highest Covid death rate in the world, which is a very grim statistic.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 14, 2021 02:41

Damn. Stay safe, Beast et al.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 14, 2021 09:03

Family of Texas woman who died from new COVID-19 strain: ‘This is serious’

"Highly Contagious"

[nypost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-14 09:05 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: January 14, 2021 11:08

If things in the UK had been handled differently from the start we would not be in this predicament.The priority’s were all wrong.Health not wealth.Yet these Baffoon’s are still at the helm.Anarchy in the UK indeed.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 14, 2021 14:51

Green Lady

Congrats on getting the first shot...
While in the neighborhood and in the mood for needles, Tattoo UK next to the museum does a fantastic UK Stones tongue..winking smiley

Date: January 14, 2021 15:55

Things in Holland are going incredibly slow. 17.000.000 inhabitants, less then 200.000 vaccines available.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 14, 2021 17:30

TheflyingDutchman

Things in Holland are going incredibly slow. 17.000.000 inhabitants, less then 200.000 vaccines available.

The same in Germany - from 83 million people only 1% (840,000) are currently vaccinated (14-Jan-2021).

Until 10-Feb-2021 round about 2.4 million people in Germany were now vaccinated (1st dose) and at the same time 1.1 million people in Germany already got their 2nd dose (according to Robert-Koch-Institut, RKI).

And until 1-Mar-2021 ca. 2.5 % of the people in Germany got completely vaccinated (1st+2nd dose), ca. 5 % had their 1st dose - [www.RKI.de] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-07 13:10 by Irix.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 14, 2021 17:45

14-Jan-2021: Public Health England (PHE) study - people infected with COVID-19 in the past are likely to be protected against reinfection for at least 5 months, although experts cautioned those with immunity may still be able carry the virus in their nose and throat and therefore have a risk of transmitting to others - [www.gov.uk] .

Similar results by a US-study - [Science.ScienceMag.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-15 17:05 by Irix.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 14, 2021 22:11

Irix
14-Jan-2021: Public Health England (PHE) study - people infected with COVID-19 in the past are likely to be protected against reinfection for at least 5 months, although experts cautioned those with immunity may still be able carry the virus in their nose and throat and therefore have a risk of transmitting to others - [www.gov.uk] .

I don't want to find out its 6 or 7 months though. Still being careful here since I am at 10 months now.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 14, 2021 22:39

Irix

We will be wearing masks for years-

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 14, 2021 23:20

I'm sorry to see the situation has deteriorated in Ireland, Germany and California. For a while they were held up as doing things the right way. It seems the virus can only be dampened down for so long; eventually it catches fire.
Here in Michigan the vaccine rollout is going very slowly. I hope the new president creates some urgency and finds new avenues for distribution. The current methods are very rule-bound and restrictive.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...195196197198199200201202203204205...LastNext
Current Page: 200 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home