Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...193194195196197198199200201202203...LastNext
Current Page: 198 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 8, 2021 16:16

Wow BV that was some fast analysis! Thanks!

And yes I've known a few folks who have gotten the 1st shot of vaccine and had side effects, they said they had a couple nights of nausea and a day of spiking headaches like a bad hangover. And that sounds relatively common, obviously there have been worse side effects.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 8, 2021 18:02

steffialicia
Still trying hard to get the vaccine here in Florida where it was decided that those 65 and over are eligible now. Too bad we were informed, by the President, that 20 million doses would have been administered by the end of December. Another lie, yawn. I have tried three vaccine lotteries without success. Today, I stood on line beginning at 6:45 this morning in the chance that a vaccine might be available to me. No luck again.

Good luck getting the vax. Beware of the scam in Florida where people are buying vax appointments on Eventbrite which leads to nothing.

Waiting here in California too but doesn't sound like anything is imminent.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 8, 2021 19:08

daspyknows
steffialicia
Still trying hard to get the vaccine here in Florida where it was decided that those 65 and over are eligible now. Too bad we were informed, by the President, that 20 million doses would have been administered by the end of December. Another lie, yawn. I have tried three vaccine lotteries without success. Today, I stood on line beginning at 6:45 this morning in the chance that a vaccine might be available to me. No luck again.

Good luck getting the vax. Beware of the scam in Florida where people are buying vax appointments on Eventbrite which leads to nothing.

Waiting here in California too but doesn't sound like anything is imminent.

In the UK there are 9 categories of people (in decreasing order of urgency) that the NHS hopes to vaccinate as a priority. They are working on groups 1 and 2 at the moment (nursing homes, front line responders and over-80s like Bill Wyman) so we know that over-70s like me won't be eligible yet. Probably some time in February.

Yes, the scammers are working overtime here too, sending "NHS" texts asking you for personal details "to confirm you want the vaccine" or offering to let you pay to jump the queue...

[www.google.com]

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 8, 2021 19:35

In London police are looking for a conman who knocked on the door of a 92 year old woman and offered her the vaccine for £150.
Fortunately the lady is feeling ok with no side effects but it is not known what the conman injected her with.

I hope other people catch up with him before the police do.

Nate

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 8, 2021 20:11

I would not worry about vaccine side effects. The RNA technology has been in the works for many years. The fact that it is huring a bit for a day or three is just a proof of the fact that your body is working on the protection.

President Elect Biden in USA is stating they look at using all the doses right away, like they do in UK, rather than stocking up on half of the doses for the next shot three weeks later. I think that is a good idea. You get may be 85% protection from the first shot, then the 3nd shot three weeks later will make you 95% or so safe. There will be large numbers of vaccine doses coming every week to those who have arranged for deliveries. With a proper logistics plan all the shots will be safe into arms of those who need it the most.

Bjornulf

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 8, 2021 20:34

Some people here in UK have already had their second dose of the vaccine.
A 93 year old local man, Lionel Blair ,had his shot at Epsom racecourse yesterday and was interviewed on BBC news.

He is a song and dance man who still appears on TV now and then ,but his heyday was in the 60's to the 90's.
Good on yer Lionel.smileys with beer

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 8, 2021 20:57

bv
I would not worry about vaccine side effects. The RNA technology has been in the works for many years. The fact that it is huring a bit for a day or three is just a proof of the fact that your body is working on the protection.

President Elect Biden in USA is stating they look at using all the doses right away, like they do in UK, rather than stocking up on half of the doses for the next shot three weeks later. I think that is a good idea. You get may be 85% protection from the first shot, then the 3nd shot three weeks later will make you 95% or so safe. There will be large numbers of vaccine doses coming every week to those who have arranged for deliveries. With a proper logistics plan all the shots will be safe into arms of those who need it the most.

agree...but, if you have allergies to medicines or stuff like shellfish (especially severe ones), you should hang around the hospital for 30-40 minutes afterwards just to be sure you don't have a reaction.

that's what my doctor told me.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 8, 2021 21:33

crawdaddy
A 93 year old local man, Lionel Blair ,had his shot at Epsom racecourse yesterday and was interviewed on BBC news.

He is a song and dance man who still appears on TV now and then ,but his heyday was in the 60's to the 90's.

Curious to know whether Captain / Sir Tom Moore, who walked to raise money for the NHS, has had his vaccine yet. It would have been lovely if he had been first...

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: January 8, 2021 22:11

Hope this isn’t the case...that the African virus is resistant to the current vaccines.

[www.livescience.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-08 22:33 by JadedFaded.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 8, 2021 22:19

Advertiser -- 9 January 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 8, 2021 22:31

Yep 4000 deaths this past week here in the States.

Source: various

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 8, 2021 22:32

steffialicia

I hope you have better luck next time. Your description has made me curious about the process over there for getting the vaccine. How does anyone get it and do they have to pay? Because it sounds different from here in the UK, where everyone has to sit tight until they receive an appointment from their doctor based on which priority group they are in.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 8, 2021 22:32

SomeTorontoGirl
crawdaddy

Curious to know whether Captain / Sir Tom Moore, who walked to raise money for the NHS, has had his vaccine yet. It would have been lovely if he had been first...

I would have thought he would be one of the first people in UK to be offered the vaccine being 100 years old, so guess he's had his two jabs.

Date: January 8, 2021 22:35

Nate
In London police are looking for a conman who knocked on the door of a 92 year old woman and offered her the vaccine for £150.
Fortunately the lady is feeling ok with no side effects but it is not known what the conman injected her with.

I hope other people catch up with him before the police do.

Nate

He even had the gall to return a week later and demand a further £100! Some people have no shame.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 8, 2021 22:37

Meanwhile, in China: [amp.cnn.com] eye popping smiley

Date: January 8, 2021 22:38

Beast
steffialicia

I hope you have better luck next time. Your description has made me curious about the process over there for getting the vaccine. How does anyone get it and do they have to pay? Because it sounds different from here in the UK, where everyone has to sit tight until they receive an appointment from their doctor based on which priority group they are in.

Every state has a different procedure. In Florida, they have “lotteries” but I’ve read that people need to get in line OVERNIGHT in hopes of getting a ticket for the next day, just like getting Stones concert tickets. And these are older people who shouldn’t be in line outside overnight.

I live in Southern California and healthcare workers and first responders are the only ones getting vaccines so far. My parents are 90, so they will be in the next group, but there has been no announcement yet of what the process will be for them. It worries me.

Date: January 8, 2021 22:44

bv

I thought I read somewhere the first shot caused about 52% immunity within a week and the second shot, a larger dose, bumped it up to 95% again within a week. Maybe there's a difference between vaccines, not sure. And I think 1 vaccine's 2nd dose is 3 weeks later and the other 4 week's.

I do worry about logistics, things haven't really gone as planned in the US, they're way behind their goals of giving the vaccine, though I'm not really sure where the breakdown in plans is there.

I do know a lot of people are declining the vaccine, which is bad news for the country as a whole, but others who want it are getting it earlier than they originally were told they were which I guess is a good thing for them.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 8, 2021 22:47

Even with the vaccination - I see us wearing masks and SDing, into the end of 2022?

Agree?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 8, 2021 23:22

Chris Fountain
Even with the vaccination - I see us wearing masks and SDing, into the end of 2022?

Agree?

Unfortunately I would guess yes, and with various mutations possibly becoming even more insidious and prevalent, could be even longer than that.

JadedFaded
Hope this isn’t the case...that the African virus is resistant to the current vaccines.

[www.livescience.com]

Dread the thought.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: January 8, 2021 23:34

My wife is working in a public health office; they're registering a few 2nd-time infections with covid. What is common in all those 2nd-time infections is that people only had mild symptons the first time, but stronger symptoms the 2nd time.

So, even if you had a mild version of covid - be careful. Stay safe and healthy.

Date: January 8, 2021 23:38

JadedFaded
Beast
steffialicia

Every state has a different procedure. In Florida, they have “lotteries” but I’ve read that people need to get in line OVERNIGHT in hopes of getting a ticket for the next day, just like getting Stones concert tickets. And these are older people who shouldn’t be in line outside overnight.

So soon we will hear claims of vaccine lottery fraud.

Nate

Date: January 8, 2021 23:46

Papo
My wife is working in a public health office; they're registering a few 2nd-time infections with covid. What is common in all those 2nd-time infections is that people only had mild symptons the first time, but stronger symptoms the 2nd time.

So, even if you had a mild version of covid - be careful. Stay safe and healthy.

I had a loss of taste for only one evening back in March last year and although I didn’t have a test I think there is a fair chance I had the virus as my coworker had loss of taste for two weeks starting the same day I had it.

I am being very cautious with this new strain here in the U.K. I am very fortunate to not have to leave the house unless I want to go out up into the hills on my mountain bike.
In some places in London right now it is estimated that 1 in 20 people have the virus right now.Where I live in Hertfordshire just outside London it is estimated that 1 in 40 people have it.

Nate

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 9, 2021 00:01

In Norway they say many will get vaccine first half of 2021. Summer will be much better. I would not book any travel outside Norway next year, but life would be easier after summer they say. Hopefully the virus is slowed down by the fall, so that next winter will be much better, and we may get more back to normal in 2022.

Bjornulf

Date: January 9, 2021 00:34

Chris Fountain
Yep 4000 deaths this past week here in the States.

Source: various

Week? How about day. Its running 25,000 per week.

Date: January 9, 2021 00:37

Papo

Have there been repeat cases for people with moderate to severe cases?

Date: January 9, 2021 00:51

JadedFaded
Beast
steffialicia

I live in Southern California and healthcare workers and first responders are the only ones getting vaccines so far. My parents are 90, so they will be in the next group, but there has been no announcement yet of what the process will be for them. It worries me.

Thanks for the info. Interesting to see the different methods being used in other countries. I did wonder what Steffialicia meant by a lottery. If it really is an actual lottery, that sounds less than ideal or fair to me. Does everyone have equal access to this lottery?

Date: January 9, 2021 01:10

Papo

I had the worst case of my extended family of 9 people (ended up in the emergency room and on oxygen for a week) so hopefully I'm good for the long haul!

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: January 9, 2021 01:24

Date: January 9, 2021 03:47

Florida lottery story

[www.cnn.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 9, 2021 10:20

I was supposed to be eligible for the vaccine next month but due to the distribution issues in the states it's looking more like March/April.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-09 12:48 by crholmstrom.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...193194195196197198199200201202203...LastNext
Current Page: 198 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home