Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...181182183184185186187188189190191...LastNext
Current Page: 186 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 28, 2020 17:19

Just read about the 1918-19 Spanish flu pandemic. Learn from history so you don't repeat it.

Date: December 28, 2020 17:24

The 1918 influenza pandemic was the most severe pandemic in recent history. It was caused by an H1N1 virus with genes of avian origin. Although there is not universal consensus regarding where the virus originated, it spread worldwide during 1918-1919. In the United States, it was first identified in military personnel in spring 1918. It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 28, 2020 17:44

I just find it interesting that those who blame the media are more likely to be Covid deniers and/or anti vaxxers. Why is that?

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: December 28, 2020 19:15

No one is denying the importance of vaccines and flu jabs, I haven't seen much of that, it's just that some people don't believe in making them mandatory, it's nice to have freedom of choice,( especially as the vaccine might not work for long and might not stop the spread of the virus) but obviously some people believe that if we don't take the vaccine it will make life difficult if governments insist you can't travel etc if you haven't had the vaccine.
Also some of us are suspicious enough to think that governments are using covid to contain peoples movement and track down an individuals whereabouts and put them under house arrest if they see fit.
It was noticeably telling last week when out of 2500 lorry drivers tested at the ferry in Dover, only 3 tested positive for covid, none of which had any symptoms, this makes some people suspicious about Boris Johnson's scientific facts on just how contagious this extremely contagious new deadly virus is.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 28, 2020 20:00

"Also some of us are suspicious enough to think that governments are using covid to contain peoples movement and track down an individuals whereabouts and put them under house arrest if they see fit"

No offense, but this is the definition of batshiit crazy.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 28, 2020 20:02

daspyknows
I just find it interesting that those who blame the media are more likely to be Covid deniers and/or anti vaxxers. Why is that?

Don't count me in(*) ........but those think it's just an ordinary flew.

(*) I'm not an expert and I actually I don't know nothing about this virus only what I read and hear and sometimes that makes me wander.....I guess within a few years we will know what it is or was.............

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 28, 2020 20:05

Around 35 lorry drivers reportedly tested positive in Dover, but they claim anyway not to be very exposed to the virus because they are mostly lone drivers who spend the majority of their time inside their lorries and have little close contact with anyone during their trips.

Date: December 28, 2020 20:08

stone4ever
No one is denying the importance of vaccines and flu jabs, I haven't seen much of that, it's just that some people don't believe in making them mandatory, it's nice to have freedom of choice,( especially as the vaccine might not work for long and might not stop the spread of the virus) but obviously some people believe that if we don't take the vaccine it will make life difficult if governments insist you can't travel etc if you haven't had the vaccine.
Also some of us are suspicious enough to think that governments are using covid to contain peoples movement and track down an individuals whereabouts and put them under house arrest if they see fit.
It was noticeably telling last week when out of 2500 lorry drivers tested at the ferry in Dover, only 3 tested positive for covid, none of which had any symptoms, this makes some people suspicious about Boris Johnson's scientific facts on just how contagious this extremely contagious new deadly virus is.

It's not mandatory, nor has that ever been the intention?

It's a wise thing to do, though smiling smiley

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: December 28, 2020 21:04

Beast
Around 35 lorry drivers reportedly tested positive in Dover, but they claim anyway not to be very exposed to the virus because they are mostly lone drivers who spend the majority of their time inside their lorries and have little close contact with anyone during their trips.

So stupid isn't only an American phenomenon unfortunately.

Date: December 28, 2020 21:06

Sorry but I think it's ridiculous to lock down countries and cause millions to lose jobs and businesses when all that was needed was to protect the old and the sick from the virus, the cure to this virus is causing more harm than the virus.
And the powers that be will not let this go away, this is too good an opportunity to implement control over us.
MisterDDDD I hope for all our sakes I'm batshit crazy because this year is George Orwells 1984 on steroids.

Date: December 28, 2020 21:18

stone4ever
Sorry but I think it's ridiculous to lock down countries and cause millions to lose jobs and businesses when all that was needed was to protect the old and the sick from the virus, the cure to this virus is causing more harm than the virus.
And the powers that be will not let this go away, this is too good an opportunity to implement control over us.
MisterDDDD I hope for all our sakes I'm batshit crazy because this year is George Orwells 1984 on steroids.

You and those who think similarly would very much like to believe it's only the old and sick who need to be protected. in reality, you know this is not true. There have been many younger people, and even children, who have died due to covid. Lots of people cite the low percentage of those impacted. It amazes me that they seem blind to the fact that there are PEOPLE behind the percentages. Sadly, it may take knowing someone personally who is stricken. Amazingly, in the States a nurse claimed that several people literally dying from covid while in the hospital still deny its existence. Great job of mind control by those in power here.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 28, 2020 21:39

steffialicia

There have been many younger people, and even children, who have died due to covid.

What percentage of people outside the high risk groups who have contracted Covid-19 have suffered serious sickness or even death?

Nate

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 28, 2020 21:51

I've been internet-free over Christmas thanks to the Nashville bomber, and now I'm back I see stupid is still alive and well. Maybe if we substituted smallpox/polio for Covid the point would become clearer? "I'm going to take my chances contracting or spreading smallpox because I don't think it's too bad, I don't trust that Dr. Salk, and it's my right not to get the vaccine."

FWIW of the people I know with Covid, the sickest right now is 24 years old.

Date: December 28, 2020 22:44

steffialicia

Honestly, you should be ashamed of yourself for saying that.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 28, 2020 23:55

stone4ever

Just over 100 years ago (globally not any communication worth mentioning) the world was hit by the so called "Spanish Flu". The global population was still less than 2 billion. Realistic estimates came to 50 million deaths. Translated to today that would be equal to some 180 million. We now live in a world where communication has become rediculous. Important information doesn't reach the common people unbiased anymore. The Facebooks and the likes managed to create total chaos in the minds of too many.
Although I never liked or even believe politicians, one thing is clear. They have a responsibility to prevent the deaths of a hundred and more millions of people. Well, we all know that some of the most powerful countries have leaders who managed to tell the people that "we're only dealing with a common flu". So far one of them publically acts like he suddenly feels responsible for "his" people (after being hit by that "nothing special" virus). Covid-19 has shown it doesn't care about what politicians (and other idiots) say about it and if it were given a chance, it would easily kill a hundred million people (not to mention animals). Luckily over the past one hundred years science went through an amazing growth in knowledge and experience, so vaccines were developed in (compared with before) a record short time. They even found ways to deal with mutations in a relatively very short time. It's a blessing for mankind, but what is happening now is that at least a third of the people are against vaccination. Instead they prefer to rely on their Gods to protect them (but apparently not their fellowman). Christmas and other religious events, but also being able to "go to the sun" or ski resorts, is what counts for them, even if it could be their last. When will they ever learn? Never, I'm afraid.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 28, 2020 23:58

stone4ever

My friend in her 70s, currently on a Covid ward after collapsing at home, would no doubt count as one of your "old and sick". How would you have protected her from the son and daughter she lives with, both of whom still need to go out to work and earn their living? All three currently have the virus: one symptom free, one ill, one very ill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-28 23:59 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 29, 2020 00:12

THE AUSTRALIAN --- 29 December 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: December 29, 2020 00:23

my Doctor sent me a text that I my get my 1st Covid-19 shot in mid January,I am at high risk do to heart issues.

Date: December 29, 2020 00:26

According to the government figures in Britain only 6% of covid deaths have been a direct result of covid.
The way old people have been treated in care homes confined to their bedrooms and allowed no visits from loved ones is it any wonder they are dying, these are mostly very sick people to start with.
I feel sorry for everyone on hear believing everything their government's are telling them, as far as covid goes fear is the virus and knowledge is the cure, you only have to look to the third world to see this is no Spanish flu, nothing like it in severity, this is a very bad influenza type illness at worse that is similar to the flu, notice how it all but disappeared in the summer, in Britain it was down to a few deaths each day, this when lockdowns were lifted and places were packed with holiday makers from the cities. This whole thing has been exaggerated out of proportion.
I'm feeling worried that so many of you still believe this scam, it's just politics now, why else with all the statistics available to you would you still welcome lockdowns.
I'm out of here, have a great life.

Date: December 29, 2020 00:40

MileHigh
steffialicia

As an American, who is frightened to death of what is going on in this country, the only shame I have concerns the ignorance being shown by some of my fellow citizens.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 29, 2020 02:35

Green Lady
stone4ever

My friend in her 70s, currently on a Covid ward after collapsing at home, would no doubt count as one of your "old and sick". How would you have protected her from the son and daughter she lives with, both of whom still need to go out to work and earn their living? All three currently have the virus: one symptom free, one ill, one very ill.

The son and daughter are to blame. If they really needed to work, they should have stayed in a hotel.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 29, 2020 03:25

MingSubu
Green Lady
stone4ever

The son and daughter are to blame. If they really needed to work, they should have stayed in a hotel.

confused smiley

Date: December 29, 2020 06:43

steffialicia
stone4ever

You and those who think similarly would very much like to believe it's only the old and sick who need to be protected. in reality, you know this is not true. There have been many younger people, and even children, who have died due to covid. Lots of people cite the low percentage of those impacted. It amazes me that they seem blind to the fact that there are PEOPLE behind the percentages. Sadly, it may take knowing someone personally who is stricken. Amazingly, in the States a nurse claimed that several people literally dying from covid while in the hospital still deny its existence. Great job of mind control by those in power here.

smileys with beer Very well said. Those who think its only the old and those with medical issues are completely misinformed. That doesn't even account for those who have survived but now have long term health issues.

Date: December 29, 2020 06:46

MingSubu
Green Lady
stone4ever

Wow, and who pays for that hotel? Hotels by me are only available to essential workers in town visiting /quarantining.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 29, 2020 07:07

MileHigh
steffialicia

American stupidity has never been higher than in 2020. Learning has been at its highest inefficiency elsewhere though not EVERYwhere. As someone that lives in the US I have witnessed and have had to experience the first part of that way too many times this year.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 29, 2020 07:08

MileHigh
The 1918 influenza pandemic was the most severe pandemic in recent history. It was caused by an H1N1 virus with genes of avian origin. Although there is not universal consensus regarding where the virus originated, it spread worldwide during 1918-1919. In the United States, it was first identified in military personnel in spring 1918. It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States.

I read up on this in the spring and most conclusions now have its origin in China, along with a load of other viruses.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 29, 2020 08:36

stone4ever
notice how it all but disappeared in the summer, in Britain it was down to a few deaths each day, this when lockdowns were lifted and places were packed with holiday makers from the cities.

Did you notice how after all this holiday making and merrymaking, it came roaring back worse than before? Due to all these people packed together? (Not that it had all but disappeared in the first place.) And that the same happens worldwide after periods when people congregate in close proximity to each other, like Thanksgiving in the US?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 29, 2020 09:32

stone4ever
According to the government figures in Britain only 6% of covid deaths have been a direct result of covid.
I'm feeling worried that so many of you still believe this scam, it's just politics now, why else with all the statistics available to you would you still welcome lockdowns.
I'm out of here, have a great life.

This is untrue and undocumented lies.
Please supply a link to serious documentation for your statements.

Fact is covid-19 have a fatality rate of 0.5% or more which is five times more than the annual flu. Fact is the fatality rate among age 60+ is way higher than 0.5%. If covid-19 is "let loose" and out of control, A LOT of people will die.

So far 0.1% of the US population have died from covid-19, a total of 340,000 people, while most of the elderly and people age 60+ have been careful and protected. This number will be 5-10 times higher without any measures like distance, test, trace, quarantine etc.

Data reveal deadliness of COVID-19, even in young adults (CIDRAP - University of Minnesota, USA - Dec 17, 2020)

Even though all-cause mortality due to COVID-19 may not be known for a while, two new studies highlight that 173,300 (79.5%) of excess deaths from March through August were COVID related, with 4,535 deaths occurring from March through July in younger adults ages 25 to 44, or 38% of all excess deaths in that group.

After adjusting mortality data to reflect an aging US demographic, 173,300 (79.5%) of the 218,000 excess deaths from March through August were related to COVID, according to the Annals study. Without this adjustment, 57.5% of 301,400 excess deaths were COVID related, but the absolute number of COVID-attributable deaths stayed the same.

Thousands of COVID deaths in young adults
During the first 5 months of the pandemic, 76,088 all-cause deaths occurred among young adults, with each month showing excess, according to the JAMA research letter. The researchers found 11,899 more Americans ages 25 through 44 have died than expected (18%), with 4,535 (38%) of the deaths caused by COVID-19.

A New York Times opinion article written by three US experts notes that, over the past 20 years, 11,000 young adults have died in July. This year, more than 16,000 did.

Bjornulf

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-29 22:15 by bv.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 29, 2020 09:52

daspyknows
MingSubu
Green Lady
stone4ever

Wow, and who pays for that hotel? Hotels by me are only available to essential workers in town visiting /quarantining.

Some workers with particularly risky jobs have chosen to live apart from their families (often in an AirBnB ) for nine months and counting now. I don't know where MingSubu is based, but that kind of accommodation is not available or affordable long term for every ordinary UK worker with a vulnerable family member. People just do not come in categories who can be neatly separated from each other so that some can live normally while others can be conveniently locked away and forgotten about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-29 09:53 by Green Lady.

Date: December 29, 2020 10:16

steffialicia
MileHigh
steffialicia

As an American, who is frightened to death of what is going on in this country, the only shame I have concerns the ignorance being shown by some of my fellow citizens.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I was getting a "let's bash America/all Americans are stupid" sense and I stand corrected.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...181182183184185186187188189190191...LastNext
Current Page: 186 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home