Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...180181182183184185186187188189190...LastNext
Current Page: 185 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: December 27, 2020 11:04

New Zealand 0

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 27, 2020 11:44

Covid: EU launches mass vaccination in 'touching moment of unity' (BBC)

The EU is launching a co-ordinated vaccine rollout to fight Covid-19, in what the bloc's top official says is a "touching moment of unity".

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said on Saturday the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine had been delivered to all 27 member states.

Some countries started administering the jabs on Saturday, saying they were not prepared to wait another day.

The EU has so far reported more than 335,000 Covid-related deaths.

A plane traced a syringe in the air above southern Germany on Wednesday to celebrate the arrival of the vaccine, a flightradar24.com image shows (Reuters)

Bjornulf

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-28 16:32 by bv.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 27, 2020 12:58

I’m not sure what impresses me more, the coordinated EU effort, or the crazy precision flying of that pilot. Meanwhile...

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: December 27, 2020 13:24

bv
CaptainCorella
bv

The first small truck with a symbolic number of 9,750 shots of the vaccine

What's the symbolism in the 9,750 number?

I think all countries in EU / EEA got the same number in the first shipment this week, like a symbol of the actual start of the shipments. After that, the shipments per week are much larger.

This vaccine is packed in lots of 9750 (I believe it’s to do with the temp it needs to be at)Working in the NHS, I read one of the distribution challenges is once a pack is open, you need to be able to get the 9750 doses administered within a certain time (ie 9750 people within a few days). It’s shaped the distribution strategy but assume it was the ‘optimum’ number to keep v cold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-27 13:25 by yorkshirestone.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: December 27, 2020 13:26

There are warnings about criminals offering the vaccine on the internet. Don't trust them. They don't have anything to offer.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: December 27, 2020 13:27

Also I believe the Oxford vaccine (due to be approved in uk within days) can be kept at normal fridge temp. This is a game changer re local clinicians having access to smaller quantities to speed up vaccination rather than ‘open and use 9750 doses’

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 27, 2020 13:39

bv
CaptainCorella
bv

The first small truck with a symbolic number of 9,750 shots of the vaccine

What's the symbolism in the 9,750 number?

I think all countries in EU / EEA got the same number in the first shipment this week, like a symbol of the actual start of the shipments. After that, the shipments per week are much larger.

Ah! It's not the 9,750 that matters, but the fact that everyone in the EU got the SAME amount in the first almost simultaneous delivery. Nice touch.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 27, 2020 14:01

yorkshirestone
Also I believe the Oxford vaccine (due to be approved in uk within days) can be kept at normal fridge temp. This is a game changer re local clinicians having access to smaller quantities to speed up vaccination rather than ‘open and use 9750 doses’

Yes, a lot of general practitioners in the UK opted not to be involved in giving the Pfizer vaccine because of the storage requirements and shelf life, which is also why it hasn’t reached too many people in care homes either - even though the 9750 doses can apparently be divided up into smaller batches, though that might not be as easy to do as it sounds. The Oxford one will be a much easier process all round.

Date: December 27, 2020 14:21

Worldwide corona virus vaccine reporting:

How many people have received a coronavirus vaccine? (Our World In Data)

Bjornulf

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 27, 2020 14:53

One in one thousand Americans have now died of Covid-19 and here in the U.K. that figure is even worse.

Nate

Date: December 27, 2020 15:46

Some countries have managed to control the corona virus way better than others. Singapore, Taiwan, Australia, South Korea, China, Cuba are among those.

This is a couple of examples of why Australia is doing great:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for international travellers (health.gov.au)

Travel into Australia
Australia’s borders are closed. The only people who can travel to Australia are:
- Australian citizens
- Residents
- Immediate family members
- Travellers who have been in New Zealand for the previous 14 days

Woman who fled Perth hotel quarantine tests negative for COVID-19, faces possible jail sentence (abc.net.au)

Western Australia's Health Minister Roger Cook says he is "disappointed and angry" at a traveller who left a Perth quarantine hotel and now faces a fine of up to $50,000 or 12 months in prison.

Jenny Maree D'Ubios, 49, was seven days into her mandatory 14-day quarantine period when she fled the Pan Pacific Hotel on Saturday morning.

In a video posted on social media at 6:54am on Saturday, Ms D'Ubios said she intended to leave the hotel. In other Facebook video posts, she expressed scepticism about coronavirus.

Bjornulf

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: December 27, 2020 15:53

bv
Some countries have managed to control the corona virus way better than others. Singapore, Taiwan, Australia, South Korea, China, Cuba are among those.

Travel into Australia
Australia’s borders are closed. The only people who can travel to Australia are:
- Australian citizens
- Residents

Woman who fled Perth hotel quarantine tests negative for COVID-19, faces possible jail sentence (abc.net.au)

Western Australia's Health Minister Roger Cook says he is "disappointed and angry" at a traveller who left a Perth quarantine hotel and now faces a fine of up to $50,000 or 12 months in prison.

Jenny Maree D'Ubios, 49, was seven days into her mandatory 14-day quarantine period when she fled the Pan Pacific Hotel on Saturday morning.

In a video posted on social media at 6:54am on Saturday, Ms D'Ubios said she intended to leave the hotel. In other Facebook video posts, she expressed scepticism about coronavirus.

Too many like Ms. D'Ubios here in the US. That steep fine and sentence is a good idea but stupid and selfish still rules some people unfortunately.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 27, 2020 21:56

Dr. Fauci Says Herd Immunity May Require 90% to Get COVID Vaccine

Fauci admitted he had purposefully low-balled the number so as not to incite undue fear.

"We need to have some humility here," he added. "We really don't know what the real number is. I think the real range is somewhere between 70 to 90 percent. But, I'm not going to say 90 percent."

I can't believe anyone takes this guy seriously.

[www.yahoo.com]

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 27, 2020 23:04

bleedingman

Fauci admitted he had purposefully low-balled the number so as not to incite undue fear.

"We need to have some humility here," he added. "We really don't know what the real number is. I think the real range is somewhere between 70 to 90 percent. But, I'm not going to say 90 percent."

[www.yahoo.com]

... and at the same time nobody under 15 can get the vaccine. So it is a mission impossible. By the end of 2021 they will be feeding us with hope for better 2022. By the end of 2022 we will have high hopes for 2023... as long as wee keep on swallowing it.

And meanwhile a plane is doing "a syringe" in the air. We, people, just need symbols and slogans.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-27 23:12 by Happy24.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 28, 2020 00:11

bleedingman

[www.yahoo.com]

What experts do you believe?

Date: December 28, 2020 00:26

In one major country there was a poll saying 30% was unsure, 35% denial, and 35% ready for the vaccine. In another major country just 50% were ready for the vaccine.

When they require a vaccine pass to board a plane, or to attend a football game or a concert, or to visit a mall, then I bet more people will be willing to get the vaccine. It's just a matter of time, and means.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 28, 2020 00:49

<<When they require a vaccine pass to board a plane, or to attend a football game or a concert, or to visit a mall, then I bet more people will be willing to get the vaccine.>>

No truer words said.

Cue also an outcry from some quarters about curtailment of freedom, inequality, injustice etc.

At the same time, criminals have probably already hatched plans to cash in by providing fake vaccine certificates.

Meanwhile, some on the rich list are reportedly offering thousands to skip the queue and get the vaccine ASAP. And a Brazilian Supreme Court judge has seemingly paved the way for mandatory vaccination in Brazil.

I really don't know what to expect next.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 28, 2020 01:49

bv

Travel into Australia
- Australian citizens
- Residents

[Plus 14 days mandatory quarantine].

It's a good policy, and is one of the several significant reasons why Australia (& NZ) have done so well. It had to be forced on the Federal Govt by an unprecedented alliance of the two Premiers (sort of USA State Governors) of the two largest States - New South Wales and Victoria.

But it's not the whole story.

Regrettably influence & power also get you entry.

Tom Hanks (twice) and (separately) Liam Neeson (plus an unknown number of film crew) have been allowed in to do filming and have not had to quarantine with the great unwashed. At one point Liam Neeson (& crew) were filming quite close to where I live.

The Indian Test Cricket team are here.

And in a few weeks the Tennis will attract people like Novak Jokovic and Rafael Nadal.

One law for them, and another for the rest of us.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-28 03:27 by CaptainCorella.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 28, 2020 03:53

The gears are in motion. All that you need to do is keep your guard up and show up to get vaccinated when your name comes up on the list. Then do your follow-up vaccination. Presumably they will tell you that you will become immune within one or two weeks of getting your second shot.

People that ignore this process or refuse to participate do so at their own risk. And of course they put others at risk, and that is infuriating. Some children will die of Covid-19 and you can imagine a scenario where in six months from now a child gets Covid from an adult that refused to get vaccinated and dies as a result of it. It's not like the child is mountain climbing in winter and dies in an avalanche. This is where the death of a child is 100% preventable.

The anti-vaxers, and many other fringe types, have voices wildly out of proportion to their actual size and lack of merit. It's because of places like YouTube and freedom of expression. There is always a double-edged sword lurking in the shadows.

I am going to build solar roadways that run on free energy across the flat Earth. I am going to do it with CGI. If you believe this lie is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 28, 2020 04:47

daspyknows
bleedingman

[www.yahoo.com]

Let's face it, Fauci's still human, he's made mistakes and had to adjust due to the unknowns. I don't put my entire blind faith solely in him either though I hold him in high regard as an expert as well as reading other opinions just to stay as informed as possible. Believing 100%, or disbelieving 100% for that matter, of what 1 person says is a little dangerous.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 28, 2020 05:47

kovach
daspyknows
bleedingman

[www.yahoo.com]

Let's face it, Fauci's still human, he's made mistakes and had to adjust due to the unknowns. I don't put my entire blind faith solely in him either though I hold him in high regard as an expert as well as reading other opinions just to stay as informed as possible. Believing 100%, or disbelieving 100% for that matter, of what 1 person says is a little dangerous.

Me neither but I listen to scientists and doctors. Most are directionally in synch with Fauci. A lot has also been learned over time. The doctors and scientists I do not believe are those with a political agenda. Enough real science to see the difference.

Date: December 28, 2020 08:58

bv
In one major country there was a poll saying 30% was unsure, 35% denial, and 35% ready for the vaccine. In another major country just 50% were ready for the vaccine.

When they require a vaccine pass to board a plane, or to attend a football game or a concert, or to visit a mall, then I bet more people will be willing to get the vaccine. It's just a matter of time, and means.

BV, but this is exactly the twisted maths we are presented: "30% was unsure, 35% denial, and 35% ready for the vaccine" 35+35+30 = 100. And then we are told that "we need" about 70% of population to get te vaccine. By presenting numbers that make 100 all togehter, we are lead to believe that it is only necessary to make those "non believers" to "believe." In other words - the "deniers" are the only problem that needs to be sorted out.

But as I wrote, nobody under 15 can take the vaccine. How many people is it? something like 17-20% ? And where are they in those 100% ? Are they "ready for the vaccine" ? Are they "denial" ? Are they "unsure" ?

In this logic 35+35+30+cca20 = 100. Only one "insignificant" number is omitted and the result is then presented as a fact.

I know, that those 100% are people that took part in some poll. But there is obviously a large group of people that is absolutely crucial in the result and that group was absolutely omitted. The picture of reality thtat is (kept on) presented is again - seriously twisted. And that is only one example.

This is what I am having a major problem with. This kind of reasoning is usually presented as "science" by media and politicians since March.

Anyone can have his own opinion, that is absolutely fine. But when reading "facts," in media, it is crucial to be aware, that for instance about 80% of population is presented as 100%, before making an opinion based on those "facts." As for myself - I personlly find it impossible to find a single reliable information in the media.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-28 09:14 by Happy24.

Date: December 28, 2020 11:43

i don't really understand Herd Immunity. Every shot will help to prevent the healthcare from collapsing and protecting individuals. Why would total immunity be the goal? I would think if the main risk groups are vaccinated most of the trouble will be over.

Date: December 28, 2020 13:11

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Herd immunity, lockdowns and COVID-19 (WHO)

‘Herd immunity’, also known as ‘population immunity’, is a concept used for vaccination, in which a population can be protected from a certain virus if a threshold of vaccination is reached.

Herd immunity is achieved by protecting people from a virus, not by exposing them to it.

The percentage of people who need to have antibodies in order to achieve herd immunity against a particular disease varies with each disease. For example, herd immunity against measles requires about 95% of a population to be vaccinated. The remaining 5% will be protected by the fact that measles will not spread among those who are vaccinated. For polio, the threshold is about 80%.

Until we better understand COVID-19 immunity, it will not be possible to know how much of a population is immune and how long that immunity last for, let alone make future predictions. These challenges should preclude any plans that try to increase immunity within a population by allowing people to get infected.

Although older people and those with underlying conditions are most at risk of severe disease and death, they are not the only ones at risk.

Bjornulf

Date: December 28, 2020 13:42

bv

Now this really scares me. It is just a matter of means. Why it scares me? Cause I see this opinion very often.

As I wrote already, we (people) love slogans and symbols. We (people) also need enemies and we like to label them. Because then we know what or who we have to fight.

Right now our enemy is the virus and then the "deniers." It is nice to know the enemy. It is nice to put a label on it / him / them. Because then everybody knows what the problem is and what to do, so that then, later on, when we are done with the enemy, we could all be happy and without problems.

The most obvious example from history is of course a German leader, that appeared about 100 years ago. He also had it very clear what and who the problem was. The tragedy didn't happen overnight. It took him 15-20 years to make a whole nation believe that he had the answers and the means. It cost millions of lives.

I don't write this so that anybody would think I compare him / her with H....r, believe me, I don't. I write this because this was only possible because the general priciple that has been working perfectly throughout human history. It was always somebody (some person, some nation, church...) that knew exactly what to do so that everybody could be happy later on...

It is the same with terrorism, isn't it? I believe the terrorists have a very clear picture about the problem. And they have the means. But if we look at it from the other side - we also know perfectly what the problem is, don't we? And if somebody doesn't, politicians and media will help him. It is the same story over and over again in human history. Both sides always "own" the truth.

And it might seem strange to apply this kind of thinking on the current pandemia, but I can't help it, I just see it everywhere. There is only one "good" opinion, which is presented by pretty much all media, by pretty much all politicians. Any other opinion is evil. I know, it is based on "facts and science." But as I wrote in my last post, the "facts" are twisted. What I usually read has all the features of propaganda. Any other opinion is instantly dismissed as conspiration theory, the proving usually never goes further than "as we all know," "it is generaly known,that..." or any such argument, which is nothing but Manipulation lesson number one.

In the end we are left to decide for ourselfs if we believe that the politicians want only general good (did that ever happen?) and if most of what media write is truth, or if we don't. If we don't, then there is not much left unfortunately, since as I wrote, I think it is nearly impossible to distinguish between what is a serious attempt to inform and what is a pure propaganda.

As I wrote before, I don't believe the politicians. I know, we should trust "scientists," but the way "science" is presented today, it is one of the most empty words. You will find any "scientific" opinion and fact that you want. Knowing myself, I will obey, as I always do. But I am really scared of the means that will be put to action against those who won't. I personally don't believe it will end with them not being able to board a plane or go to a football game. But majority will probably be happy. Well, at least at the beginning.

Well, it is really only my opinion and I don't force it to anybody. But I believe it is at least good to be aware that it is only an opinion and to be aware, that I can be totally wrong. The fact, that most people seem to be absoulutely sure really scares me. But after all - the majority may actually be right.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-28 14:13 by Happy24.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 28, 2020 13:57

bv
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Herd immunity, lockdowns and COVID-19 (WHO)

Although older people and those with underlying conditions are most at risk of severe disease and death, they are not the only ones at risk.

Outside of the most at risk groups of people what is the percentage of healthy people who suffer serious sickness or even die after contracting Covid-19 ?

Nate

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 28, 2020 14:10

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-28 14:15 by Stoneage.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: December 28, 2020 14:40

Happy24
bv

Now this really scares me. It is just a matter of means. Why it scares me? Cause I see this opinion very often.

As I wrote already, we (people) love slogans and symbols. We (people) also need enemies and we like to label them. Because then we know what or who we have to fight.

Right now our enemy is the virus and then the "deniers." It is nice to know the enemy. It is nice to put a label on it / him / them. Because then everybody knows what the problem is and what to do, so that then, later on, when we are done with the enemy, we could all be happy and without problems.

The most obvious example from history is of course a German leader, that appeared about 100 years ago. He also had it very clear what and who the problem was. The tragedy didn't happen overnight. It took him 15-20 years to make a whole nation believe that he had the answers and the means. It cost millions of lives.

I don't write this so that anybody would think I compare him / her with H....r, believe me, I don't. I write this because this was only possible because the general priciple that has been working perfectly throughout human history. It was always somebody (some person, some nation, church...) that knew exactly what to do so that everybody could be happy later on...

It is the same with terrorism, isn't it? I believe the terrorists have a very clear picture about the problem. And they have the means. But if we look at it from the other side - we also know perfectly what the problem is, don't we? And if somebody doesn't, politicians and media will help him. It is the same story over and over again in human history. Both sides always "own" the truth.

And it might seem strange to apply this kind of thinking on the current pandemia, but I can't help it, I just see it everywhere. There is only one "good" opinion, which is presented by pretty much all media, by pretty much all politicians. Any other opinion is evil. I know, it is based on "facts and science." But as I wrote in my last post, the "facts" are twisted. What I usually read has all the features of propaganda. Any other opinion is instantly dismissed as conspiration theory, the proving usually never goes further than "as we all know," "it is generaly known,that..." or any such argument, which is nothing but Manipulation lesson number one.

In the end we are left to decide for ourselfs if we believe that the politicians want only general good (did that ever happen?) and if most of what media write is truth, or if we don't. If we don't, then there is not much left unfortunately, since as I wrote, I think it is nearly impossible to distinguish between what is a serious attempt to inform and what is a pure propaganda.

Well, it is really only my opinion and I don't force it to anybody. But I believe it is at least good to be aware that it is only an opinion and to be aware, that I can be totaly wrong. The fact, that most people seem to be absoulutely sure really scares me. But after all - the majority may actually be right.

As I wrote before, I don't believe the politicians. I know, we should trust "scientists," but the way "science" is presented today, it is one of the most empty words. You will find any "scientific" opinion and fact that you want. Knowing myself, I will obey, as I always do. But I am really scared of the means that will be put to action against those who won't. I personally don't believe it will end with them not being able to board a plane or go to a football game. But majority will probably be happy. Well, at least at the beginning.

Fantastic thoughtful post and you are brave to have posted it, it's so nice to see someone else notice what is happening with the media and the political agenda behind its bias fear based propagander machine.
Brings me back to an old joke.
How can you tell if a politician is lying ?
his lips are moving.
What gets me is the cherry picked science politicians use, if people took the time to do some research they would find an avalanche of science contradicting current political agendas concerning virus deaths, vaccines and the effectiveness of lockdowns.
It's becoming increasingly apparent globalist are using the virus to crash world economies to introduce the great reset, in hindsight covid 19 was the perfect storm to implement single digital currency etc.
Hope I'm proved to be wrong through, time will tell.

Date: December 28, 2020 14:45

Stoneage
Everyone here seems to be fans of draconic measures. The more draconic the better it seems. But no one dares to address the root of the problem. Where this virus, and almost all pandemics since the Middle Ages comes from. I will not do that either. Since I know that is a forbidden subject for those who believe in pc. In five minutes I will erase this comment.

Replace "covid-19" with a virus as deadly as ebola, and as infectious as measles or smallpox. Then tell us what the right measure would be. By the way, countries with not so "dramatic" measures in the past are now forced to close down more and more, while those who reacted fast may now open up. Think of the corona pandemic as rehearsals ahead of the next pandemic to come.

I don't buy this blame game of pointing at one particular source or origin for any pandemic. Ebola originated in Congo Africa. Often a virus appear - with humans - because humans mix with animals and take their natural habitats. The development of land farming, and the establishment of human settlements some 6000–10,000 years ago created the conditions that allowed the emergence of smallpox. Stacking up hundreds of mink in cages and so on. If you mess with nature then sure nature will mess with you. It is all in the history books, as well as known by science.

How to prevent the next pandemic (Financial Times)

Some guidelines in place early in this emergency — for example, that air travel should not be suspended to avoid economic, social and technical disruption — will need rewriting. Some, such as advice on mask wearing, already have been. A lesson of this crisis is that, with a highly infectious disease, rapidly shutting down passenger traffic from countries of origin is vital.

The origins and nature of future outbreaks may differ. But local lockdowns, social distancing measures and test and trace systems are still likely to be key to containing them. Asian countries that gained such experience from Sars handled Covid-19 better than many counterparts in Europe and the Americas.

The world ignored increasingly urgent warnings by infectious disease experts that an unknown pathogen — “disease X” — would emerge from animals and unleash a devastating pandemic. If Covid was disease X, we must be far better prepared for disease Y.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 28, 2020 14:54

A good and thoughtful answer, BV.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...180181182183184185186187188189190...LastNext
Current Page: 185 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1628
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10