Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...178179180181182183184185186187188...LastNext
Current Page: 183 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 21, 2020 23:07

Nate

What government wants a bunch of non tax paying retirees hanging around any longer than they have to.

Nate

A Govt that cares about its fellow human beings?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 21, 2020 23:35

CaptainCorella
Nate

What government wants a bunch of non tax paying retirees hanging around any longer than they have to.

Nate

I would argue they are few and far between and would say the majority care more about money and being re-elected.

Nate

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 22, 2020 01:28

The current UK government are much more strongly supported by pensioners than any other age group. They are also aleays the demographic with the highest rate of voter turnout so they cannot afford to upset them!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 22, 2020 02:10

Nate
CaptainCorella
Nate

Nate

I would argue they are few and far between and would say the majority care more about money and being re-elected.

Nate

Why do you think retirees don't pay taxes? (Genuinely curious, I'm in the US.)

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 22, 2020 02:43

stickyfingers101
[www.wbur.org]

I find it hard to accept that rapists should get the vaccine before their victims....

very hard.

Guinea pigs for the vaccine.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 22, 2020 02:54

Aquamarine
Nate
CaptainCorella
Nate

Nate

Nate

Same to me....... Genuinely curious, I'm in the Netherlands ;o)

Date: December 22, 2020 02:56

Aquamarine
Nate
CaptainCorella
Nate

Nate

Yes strictly speaking they would still pay some taxes but they would not generally be contributing financially to the same degree as someone who is young in employment and paying income tax.Older people are also much more likely to be a financial burden on the state costing much more than they are contributing given we have free healthcare for everyone here in the U.K.

Nate

Date: December 22, 2020 03:27

grzegorz67
The current UK government are much more strongly supported by pensioners than any other age group. They are also aleays the demographic with the highest rate of voter turnout so they cannot afford to upset them!

Yeah they’ve really demonstrated a great respect for that age group this year.
At the beginning of this mess they were all set to let the virus rip through the country and do it’s damage until they finally had to have the evidence shoved down their throat that the NHS was going to collapse.
They were sending people back into care homes from hospital without even being tested for the virus.
They awarded huge financial contracts to muppets charged with sourcing PPE equipment which was a complete failure earlier in the year.
Let’s not forget many NHS staff died in the early stages of this pandemic because they didn’t have the correct PPE.

If I was a pensioner living in the U.K. today I think I would be greatly upset at the way this outfit has handled this situation.

Nate

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 22, 2020 04:43

MAF
bv
Covid-19: If you have covid-19, and you are young, you may not know you are sick at all. You may go to work as usual, at a nursing home, in a bar, in a pub, or other places, where you will transmit the fatal covid-19 to other people, who might get really sick, or die.

A 20 year old man died because of covid-19. He had only light symptoms, recovered, went back to his friends playing football again etc. And one morning he didn't wake up - he has died. The reason: the virus has attacked his heart. The man didn't noticed that, no doctor checked this because the man was feeling well again. So take care about covid-19.

I can tell you from my own experience, there are things that linger a long time after being cleared to return to 'normal life'.

I feel pretty good, but still get winded walking to much, and not that this is a lot but it's more than nothing, I was used to walking at 70% of my max heart rate on a treadmill for 200 minutes a week. I'm not even going to attempt that for another couple of weeks (which will be about 5 weeks after I caught Covid).

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 22, 2020 04:46

MileHigh
Nate
Then why not shut everything down every winter in order to reduce the number of people who die from other respiratory diseases.
The answer is simple it would cost vast amounts of money to do so and the healthcare systems have the capacity to deal with a normal winter.
With a very few exceptions around the world governments do not care about people they care about money.

Nate

"People" and "money" are essentially the same thing. No money, no resources available to care for and support the people.

A government that is caring about money is a government that is caring about people.

That's why many businesses today refer to managing personnel as "Human Capital Management".

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 22, 2020 08:42

Nate
grzegorz67

At the beginning of this mess they were all set to let the virus rip through the country and do it’s damage until they finally had to have the evidence shoved down their throat that the NHS was going to collapse.
They were sending people back into care homes from hospital without even being tested for the virus.
They awarded huge financial contracts to muppets charged with sourcing PPE equipment which was a complete failure earlier in the year.
Let’s not forget many NHS staff died in the early stages of this pandemic because they didn’t have the correct PPE.

If I was a pensioner living in the U.K. today I think I would be greatly upset at the way this outfit has handled this situation.

Nate

I agree with all of that and am no fan whatsoever. The pandemic response has been poor here. Like any government they are more interested in winning votes than looking after voters. No vote for 4 years so none to win or lose. The opposition are likely to be much stronger next time (they could hardly be weaker!) so we'll see how they react.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 22, 2020 13:32

EMT on Flight gives CPR to dying man who didn't make it is now feeling symptoms of Covid.

"It's like I was hit by train"

[losangeles.cbslocal.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 22, 2020 15:35

"The vaccine manufacturer BioNTech expects more precise findings by February at the latest on the extent to which its preparation can also protect people against infection with the coronavirus. The data on this are currently being examined, said company CEO Ugur Sahin. The vaccine from the Germany-based company and its US-Partner Pfizer was approved in the EU on 21-Dec-2020. It has an efficiency of about 95 percent, according to the manufacturers. This means that among the test persons of the vaccinated group, 95 percent less Covid-19 disease occurred than among the test persons of the control group. It is still unclear what effect the preparation has on passing on the virus or infection with it." - [www.Tagesschau.de] .

Date: December 22, 2020 16:40

Chris Fountain
EMT on Flight gives CPR to dying man who didn't make it is now feeling symptoms of Covid.

The guy that died on that flight had prominent Covid symptoms prior to boarding yet completed his attestation form before the flight stating that he didn’t have any symptoms. Trust no one!

Date: December 22, 2020 16:55

"The Corona vaccine manufacturer BioNTech is currently working on bringing the previously necessary high requirements for cooling temperatures for long-term storage of the preparation to a "more relaxed level". Results on this are expected by the end of January, said company CEO Ugur Sahin. For a longer period, the vaccine must be stored at minus 70 degrees. In specially developed shipping boxes with dry ice, the preparation can survive up to 15 days at these temperatures. In the vaccination centres, the vaccine can be stored in an unopened state in the delivery boxes or also in conventional refrigerators for up to five days at two to eight degrees, according to the company. Up to two hours before the injection, the preparation can even be stored at up to 30 degrees. The actual vaccination can take place at room temperature, the company said." - [www.Tagesschau.de]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 22, 2020 17:10

Chris Fountain

The passenger’s wife later revealed that her husband had symptoms of coronavirus before getting on the flight and was heading home to get tested.

“She told me he had symptoms, he was short of breath and she just wanted to get him home and they plan on getting tested this week,” Aldapa said.

-----

No wonder we have problems with the pandemic. People don't care. For nine months now, we have been told to stay at home if we feel sick. And certainly not travel, or board any plane.

Bjornulf

Date: December 22, 2020 17:20

I canceled my travel insurance today. There's no point. May be 2022, hopefully, but just may be.

Bjornulf

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 22, 2020 17:25

grzegorz67
Nate
grzegorz67

Nate

I agree with all of that and am no fan whatsoever. The pandemic response has been poor here. Like any government they are more interested in winning votes than looking after voters. No vote for 4 years so none to win or lose. The opposition are likely to be much stronger next time (they could hardly be weaker!) so we'll see how they react.

4 more years, aaaggghhh.
"What can a poor boy do, except to sing in a rock and roll band, because in sleeping London there's just no place for a street fighting man"
Get on the streets! (With facemasks off course!)grinning smiley
Well, the latest acts of the EU concerning the mutant virus on the U.K. should be printed as a serious warning into the minds of those who are sponsible for the well being of the people of Britain. With arrogance you can't win.

Date: December 22, 2020 20:30

bv
I canceled my travel insurance today. There's no point. May be 2022, hopefully, but just may be.

I went to the supermarket entrance today, had a look inside and went home. People just don't respect the rules.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 23, 2020 00:27

THE AGE ---- 23 December 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: December 23, 2020 02:52

Mutant 501Y Virus is 50 to 70 percent more infectious. Very interesting, if not scary article.

[news.yahoo.com]

Date: December 23, 2020 07:57

This article is telling many details about the new mutant virus:

Mutant coronavirus in the United Kingdom sets off alarms, but its importance remains unclear (ScienceMag Dec. 20, 2020)

(The mutant) B.1.1.7 has acquired 17 mutations all at once, a feat never seen before. “There’s now a frantic push to try and characterize some of these mutations in the lab,” says Andrew Rambaut, a molecular evolutionary biologist at the University of Edinburgh.

Scientists have never seen the virus acquire more than a dozen mutations seemingly at once. They think it happened during a long infection of a single patient that allowed SARS-CoV-2 to go through an extended period of fast evolution, with multiple variants competing for advantage.

Further reason for concern comes from South Africa, where scientists have sequenced genomes in three provinces where cases are soaring: Eastern Cape, Western Cape, and KwaZulu Natal. They identified a lineage separate from the U.K. variant that also has a N501Y mutation in the spike gene. “We found that this lineage seems to be spreading much faster,” says Tulio de Oliveira, a virologist at the University of KwaZulu-Natal whose work first alerted U.K. scientists to the importance of N501Y. (A preprint of their results on the strain, which they are calling 501Y.V2, will be released on Monday, de Oliveira says.)

Scientists say B.1.1.7 may already be much more widespread. Researchers in the Netherlands have found it in a sample from one patient taken in early December, Dutch health minister Hugo de Jonge wrote in a letter to Parliament today. They will try to find out how the patient became infected and whether there are related cases. Other countries may have the variant as well, says epidemiologist William Hanage of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health; the United Kingdom may have just picked it up first because it has the most sophisticated SARS-CoV-2 genomic monitoring in the world. Many countries have little or no sequencing.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-23 08:09 by bv.

Date: December 23, 2020 10:10

Will the new mutant viruses be resistant to the new vaccines???

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 23, 2020 11:20

BioNTech says it’s confident the vaccine will still work against the new variant but if needed it can produce a new one within six weeks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-23 12:33 by Beast.

Date: December 23, 2020 11:44

BioNTech says it can produce new vaccine for Covid variant in 6 weeks (Financial Times Dec 22, 2020)

Ugur Sahin, BioNTech’s chief executive, said he thought the company’s existing Covid-19 vaccine, developed with Pfizer, would still be effective against the new variant. If not, “the beauty of the messenger mRNA technology is we can directly start to engineer a vaccine that completely mimics this new mutation and we could manufacture a new vaccine within six weeks,” he said.

Bjornulf

Date: December 23, 2020 11:45

Chris Fountain

Actually not, since the new vaccines based on RNA-Code (BioNTech, Moderna, CureVac) should be adjustable to the new mutant virus (via genetic engineering). The mRNA vaccine let the human body build a harmless fragment of the virus' outer envelope, which will then be recognized by the human immune system as foreign and then fight. The new RNA-Code of the mutant virus has to be known and then the Code in the mRNA vaccine can be updated. It's similar to a Computer-virus: if the Code-sequence is known, you can update the Antivirus-Software accordingly.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 23, 2020 17:57

A new strain of the virus has entered the U.K.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 23, 2020 18:18

Chris Fountain

I asked the same a few days ago on the previous page, and there seemed to be no absolute answers - just lots of speculation.
Seems now these mutant variations are being more closely analyzed, and some answers are starting to surface.
Things seem to be going from bad to worse....hopefully that trend will change soon!

Date: December 23, 2020 18:22

Big Al
A new strain of the virus has entered the U.K.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

The article states that the U.K. authorities are confident in the quarantine procedures for people arriving back into the U.K.

As someone who has flown into Heathrow several times this year I can tell you that the system is a joke and does not work.

Nate

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 23, 2020 18:24

bv

Realistically probably the wise thing to do - hoping for 2022.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...178179180181182183184185186187188...LastNext
Current Page: 183 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2023
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home