Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...176177178179180181182183184185186...LastNext
Current Page: 181 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 18, 2020 22:34

MileHigh
It's easy to make a slip between the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment and the Tuskegee Airmen.

Saying that you refuse to take something because someone else that just happens to be the most powerful person in the world would say it is ok is ridiculous and low-brow and irresponsible. And it's that much worse considering the person that said it might become the most powerful person in the world.

Sorry, yeah, I need to brush up on my history!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 18, 2020 22:45

bv
bleedingman
You couldn't pay me enough money to put this in my body.

Alaska Health Worker Had a Serious Allergic Reaction After Pfizer's Vaccine

[www.yahoo.com]

From the above story:
... then weaned off the drip early Wednesday morning, Jones said. He said the woman felt well, remained enthusiastic about the vaccine and was set to be discharged later Wednesday (i.e. next day).

On the very same day, in USA, more than 3,000 people died from covid-19, and 250,000 tested positive, of which thousands with complications that might damage their health permanently.

So far 300,000 died from Covid-19 in USA. An extremely rare allergic reaction, cured overnight, is not to be compared with the pandemic. I think I would take the vaccine. For sure.

Notwithstanding what bv says, this was a significant event.

The article says...
The middle-aged worker had no history of allergies but had an anaphylactic reaction that began 10 minutes after receiving the vaccine at Bartlett Regional Hospital in Juneau, Alaska, a hospital official said. She experienced a rash over her face and torso, shortness of breath and an elevated heart rate.

Previous similar reports from the UK were about people with a known history of allergies.

It does NOT (double NOT) mean that it is a vaccine to be avoided, but it definitely does mean that everyone taking it should be aware of the tiny chance of a reaction and should therefore not leave the place of vaccination for about 15 minutes.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 19, 2020 02:17

I just watched the latest Dr. John Campbell video. The daily rate for new cases in the United States is now one-quarter million.

It's terrifying.

Date: December 19, 2020 02:28

MileHigh
I just watched the latest Dr. John Campbell video. The daily rate for new cases in the United States is now one-quarter million.

It's terrifying.

You can stay up to date with numbers at this (USA) John Hopkins University site. Great numbers, great visualisations and authoritative as well.

[www.arcgis.com]

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 19, 2020 03:09

Moderna's COVID-19 Vaccine Becomes 2nd To Earn FDA Authorization

On Friday, just one week after Pfizer and BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine received a federal green light, the Food and Drug Administration formally authorized a second vaccine for emergency use — this one developed by Moderna. The biotech upstart won authorization for use in adults following extensive federal analysis of the vaccine, which the FDA found to be 94% effective at preventing the disease.

"With the availability of two vaccines now for the prevention of COVID-19, the FDA has taken another crucial step in the fight against this global pandemic that is causing vast numbers of hospitalizations and deaths in the United States each day," said a statement by FDA Commissioner Stephen M. Hahn, M.D.
[www.npr.org]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 19, 2020 09:49

If there are too many non-science vaccine denial people out there, then the pandemic might be around for all of 2021 and more. Just a few examples:

Brazil's Bolsonaro warns virus vaccine can turn people into 'crocodiles' (france24.com 8/12/2020)

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has launched an attack on coronavirus vaccines, even suggesting that the one developed by Pfizer-BioNTech could turn people into crocodiles or bearded ladies.

The far-right leader has been sceptical of the coronavirus since it first emerged late last year, branding it "a little flu." This week he insisted he would not be vaccinated, even while launching the country's mass innoculation program.

Tucker Carlson's vaccine rant should be called out by every reputable news organization (CNN December 19, 2020)

The First Amendment offers wide protection for free speech in America. But that right to express an opinion is not unlimited. Everyone knows you can't run into a crowded theater and yell fire.

Carlson openly encouraged people to be suspicious of what he described as the "glitzy" vaccine rollout on Thursday and went on to say, "So, how are the rest of us supposed to respond to a marketing campaign like this?

Bjornulf

Date: December 19, 2020 14:45

Meanwhile.. his boss.

Murdoch receives COVID-19 vaccine as Fox News host casts suspicion on campaign
(Reuters) - Media baron Rupert Murdoch received a dose of the COVID-19 vaccine this week, a day before prominent opinion host Fox News’s Tucker Carlson raised suspicion over the marketing strategy for the vaccine.

The 89-year-old executive chairman of Wall Street Journal owner News Corp and chairman of Fox News’s Fox Corp received the vaccine at his local doctor’s office in Britain on Wednesday after being told he was eligible, a spokeswoman confirmed on Friday.

On Thursday evening, Carlson, host of “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” one of the highest rated shows on U.S. cable news, opened his show highlighting the case of a health worker in Alaska who suffered an adverse reaction to the vaccine and warned viewers to be skeptical of the “glitzy” public campaign.
[uk.reuters.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-19 14:50 by MisterDDDD.

Date: December 19, 2020 15:13

In my neck of the woods a state Senator is readying legislation for the new year to prohibit requiring vaccinations. In the name, apparently of "freedom"
Little doubt it will fail in my blue state, but also little doubt there will be more legislators attempting the same. Public safety outweighs personal freedoms,
as witnessed by everyone who straps on a seatbelt and drives the speed limit, or puts on a helmet or can't light up a smoke inside, etc etc.

As COVID vaccination ramps up, state Sen. Ericksen proposes bill to prohibit requiring it
Washington state Sen. Doug Ericksen on Thursday announced plans to introduce a bill that would prohibit employers, schools, state-regulated travel and public places from requiring COVID-19 vaccination.

Ericksen, R-Ferndale, said in a Dec. 17 release about the proposed legislation that he hopes to protect individual rights and freedom of choice.

“We need to stop discrimination before it begins,” Ericksen said in the release. “Already we’re hearing that proof of vaccination could be required for everything from employment to the ability to board a plane, train or bus.
“But no decision is more personal than the choice of what to inject into your own body. This legislation isn’t pro-vaccine or anti-vaccine – it’s pro-individual rights.”

Ericksen’s bill is in the drafting stages, according to the release, and he plans to introduce it before the 2021 legislative session begins Jan. 11.
[www.bellinghamherald.com]

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 19, 2020 21:10

FDA investigating allergic reactions to Pfizer vaccine reported in multiple states

"I think we'll be looking at all the data we can from each of these reactions to sort out exactly what happened, and we'll also be looking to try to understand which component of the vaccine might be helping to produce them," Marks said.

[www.msn.com]

Third allergic reaction to COVID-19 vaccine reported in Alaska

"Anaphylaxis is a rare but expected potential side effect that is treatable and does not have long term health implications like COVID," said the employee, who wishes to remain anonymous, in the statement. "I would get the vaccine and recommend it to anyone, despite my reaction, to help our country get immunized which is needed for the health of all Americans, for the economy, get families hugging again, for getting children back to schools, and to get the country on the other side of this pandemic."

[www.msn.com]

Date: December 19, 2020 22:21

Dr. Fauci on CNN:
"I took a trip up there to the North Pole. I went there and I vaccinated Santa Claus myself. I measured his level of immunity, and he is good to go. He can come down the chimney, he can leave the presents, he can leave and you have nothing to worry about."

Date: December 20, 2020 03:42

MisterDDDD
Dr. Fauci on CNN:
"I took a trip up there to the North Pole. I went there and I vaccinated Santa Claus myself. I measured his level of immunity, and he is good to go. He can come down the chimney, he can leave the presents, he can leave and you have nothing to worry about."

"I want to be clear. Even though Santa has been vaccinated, he can still infect your family. So IF you know for a fact that Santa has been to your house, you and your family need to wear a mask for two weeks. Santa did contact tracing so we will be visiting you eventually. Happy Holidays!"

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 20, 2020 04:04

bleedingman
FDA investigating allergic reactions to Pfizer vaccine reported in multiple states

"I think we'll be looking at all the data we can from each of these reactions to sort out exactly what happened, and we'll also be looking to try to understand which component of the vaccine might be helping to produce them," Marks said.

[www.msn.com]

"Anaphylaxis is a rare but expected potential side effect that is treatable and does not have long term health implications like COVID," said the employee, who wishes to remain anonymous, in the statement. "I would get the vaccine and recommend it to anyone, despite my reaction, to help our country get immunized which is needed for the health of all Americans, for the economy, get families hugging again, for getting children back to schools, and to get the country on the other side of this pandemic."

[www.msn.com]

The belief it has nothing to do with the mRNA but an allergic reaction to a chenical in the vaccine polyethylene glycol.

[chicago.suntimes.com]

[pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 20, 2020 04:22

The Netherlands has just banned all passenger flights from the U.K. and no doubt more countries will follow given the news of the new strain of the virus.
Apparently this new strain has already been around a while in which case it will already be in multiple countries.This could be the reason why the USA has seen a surge in cases recently.

Nate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-20 04:25 by Nate.

Date: December 20, 2020 06:26

Back to the drawing board.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 20, 2020 07:53

daspyknows
bleedingman

[www.msn.com]

[www.msn.com]

The belief it has nothing to do with the mRNA but an allergic reaction to a chenical in the vaccine polyethylene glycol.

[chicago.suntimes.com]

It's unfortunate but it's tough luck for the people that are allergic to the normally benign ingredients in the vaccines. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Date: December 20, 2020 08:22

MileHigh
daspyknows
bleedingman

[www.msn.com]

[www.msn.com]

[chicago.suntimes.com]

It's unfortunate but it's tough luck for the people that are allergic to the normally benign ingredients in the vaccines. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Agreed.

But at least those with pre-exisiting allergies are alerted to the possibility and can avoid this vaccine (plenty more choice in coming months).

Just as significant are reports of people WITHOUT pre-exisiting allergy history being affected. That's really bad news. Only a few people, but a tiny fraction of several billion is a big number!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 20, 2020 09:18

CaptainCorella
MileHigh
daspyknows
bleedingman

[www.msn.com]

[www.msn.com]

[chicago.suntimes.com]

Agreed.

But at least those with pre-exisiting allergies are alerted to the possibility and can avoid this vaccine (plenty more choice in coming months).

Just as significant are reports of people WITHOUT pre-exisiting allergy history being affected. That's really bad news. Only a few people, but a tiny fraction of several billion is a big number!

Isn't it just as important to know what happens to those allergicly responding people? Are they sick for a couple of days but then immune? Are they dying shortly after? Does the allergic reaction have a long time effect on their health? Did they have previous experiences with allergic reaction on medication? And if so, how did they come out of it? There are many kinds of allergic reactions from minor to very bad (sometimes fatal). With some even allergy disappears forever after one serious allergy attack of any kind. So avoiding a vaccine should depend on personal experience of allergic people. Certainly when keeping in mind that dying from Covid-19 is another "option".

Date: December 20, 2020 14:59

The vaccine and allergy reactions:

Do you stay at home whenever you read about someone in the world being killed or seriously injured in traffic? Not really.

Do you stay at home whenever you read about someone being infected or dead from covid-19? Probably not.

In UK they have vaccinated 130,000 people (and counting), of which two people, both carrying adrenalin pens, got allergic reactions. They were both fine, following normal follow-up at the vaccination locations.

In USA they have vaccinated 250,000 people (and counting), of which so far six people have had an allergic reaction. Five of these six had a history of allergy. All vaccination places do have adrenalin treatment available, in the rare case of allergy reactions. That is why you are asked to stay at the vaccination spot for 15 minutes after you get the shot, just in the rare case of an allergic reaction.

These days, like in USA, a quarter of a million get covid-19 every day now. Covid-19 will lead to 0.3% to 1% fatality depending on age and health. Every day now thousands die from covid-19, and tens of thousands get their health damaged from covid-19.

The risk of having an allergic reaction is 2 out of 130,000 (UK) or 6 out of 250,000 (USA), i.e, roughly 0.002% chance of getting an allergic, still non-fatal reaction.

Seven out of the eight getting the allergic reaction, out of the 400,000 people vaccinated so far, did know they do have a highly allergic state, and they should not really take the vaccine.

Just do the mathematics. Trust science. Trust the numbers. The allergic reaction is not fatal. They treat it and you are fine. Covid-19, on the other hand, is fatal at a rate of 0.5%, higher or lower with age and heath. In short, 0.5% chance of death vs 0.002% of a non-fatal allergic reaction.

Trust science. Take the vaccine. Protect yourself, as well as those you love, as well as your community. Be smart.

At least 4 people have had allergic reactions after Pfizer's vaccine, among hundreds of thousands who've been vaccinated. Here's what we know. (Business Insider Dec 18, 2020)

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-20 15:02 by bv.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: December 20, 2020 15:06

Nate
The Netherlands has just banned all passenger flights from the U.K. and no doubt more countries will follow given the news of the new strain of the virus.
Apparently this new strain has already been around a while in which case it will already be in multiple countries.This could be the reason why the USA has seen a surge in cases recently.

Nate
Belgium has just banned all flights and trains from U.K.

Date: December 20, 2020 15:18

MAF
Nate

Nate
Belgium has just banned all flights and trains from U.K.

Italy just announced they will do the same.

Nate

Date: December 20, 2020 15:20

It's a joke. As if the new strain isn't already widely spreaded in mainland europe.

If they really took things serious they would have closed the borders a long time ago. The summer of 2020 was one big superspread event.

However I have the unpopular opinion that we only need to take care of not collapsing the health system. Besides that I think the costs in terms of economy and therefore welfare and healthcare are too big for the mortality rate.

I think with the enormous amounts of money spent it should have been possible to protect elderly and vulnerable persons in a way the quality of life would be acceptable, and let the rest of society go on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-20 15:20 by PaintMonkeyManBlack.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 20, 2020 15:20

bv

Do you stay at home whenever you read about someone in the world being killed or seriously injured in traffic? Not really.

Do you stay at home whenever you read about someone being infected or dead from covid-19? Probably not.

In UK they have vaccinated 130,000 people (and counting), of which two people, both carrying adrenalin pens, got allergic reactions. They were both fine, following normal follow-up at the vaccination locations.

In USA they have vaccinated 250,000 people (and counting), of which so far six people have had an allergic reaction. Five of these six had a history of allergy. All vaccination places do have adrenalin treatment available, in the rare case of allergy reactions. That is why you are asked to stay at the vaccination spot for 15 minutes after you get the shot, just in the rare case of an allergic reaction.

These days, like in USA, a quarter of a million get covid-19 every day now. Covid-19 will lead to 0.3% to 1% fatality depending on age and health. Every day now thousands die from covid-19, and tens of thousands get their health damaged from covid-19.

The risk of having an allergic reaction is 2 out of 130,000 (UK) or 6 out of 250,000 (USA), i.e, roughly 0.002% chance of getting an allergic, still non-fatal reaction.

Seven out of the eight getting the allergic reaction, out of the 400,000 people vaccinated so far, did know they do have a highly allergic state, and they should not really take the vaccine.

Just do the mathematics. Trust science. Trust the numbers. The allergic reaction is not fatal. They treat it and you are fine. Covid-19, on the other hand, is fatal at a rate of 0.5%, higher or lower with age and heath. In short, 0.5% chance of death vs 0.002% of a non-fatal allergic reaction.

Trust science. Take the vaccine. Protect yourself, as well as those you love, as well as your community. Be smart.

BV- We're on the same page there!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-20 15:21 by Sighunt.

Date: December 20, 2020 15:22

Protecting the health care systems is the only reason that governments shut things down anyone who believes otherwise is deluded.

Nate

Date: December 20, 2020 15:25

Nate
Protecting the health care systems is the only reason that governments shut things down anyone who believes otherwise is deluded.

Nate

I am not sure you can talk say this. Pretty sure you're wrong exactly. Some countries believe in containment, others in mitigation.

Date: December 20, 2020 15:34

PaintMonkeyManBlack
I think with the enormous amounts of money spent it should have been possible to protect elderly and vulnerable persons in a way the quality of life would be acceptable, and let the rest of society go on.

The elderly at nursing homes are completely helpless. Many are confused, they wander around in the corridors, and they don't understand why they should stay in their rooms, not having visitors, not talking to others in the same corridor, or in the shared rooms.

Also, the elderly in many countries live under conditions with no nurses, no doctors. They have been "taken care of", but they are not protected. Part time workers, young and with no symptoms of covid-19, work in elderly homes, then live their normal lives with restaurant visits and shopping, in covid-19 rich environments, then they bring the covid-19 illness into the homes, and once it is there, it is a tragedy.

It is an illusion that you may let the pandemic loose, and protect the elderly. Just look at USA or Sweden. Already, lifetime expectancy is down by 0.5 years for male people in Sweden. It is a tragedy, and it is dramatic.

Swedish Life Expectancy Is Set to Drop Due to the Pandemic (Bloomberg Nov 25, 2020)

Sweden: For men, average life expectancy has already fallen to 80.8 in the year through August, from 81.3, Statistics Sweden said. For women, it fell to 84.4 from 84.7.

Bjornulf

Date: December 20, 2020 15:38

Then why not shut everything down every winter in order to reduce the number of people who die from other respiratory diseases.
The answer is simple it would cost vast amounts of money to do so and the healthcare systems have the capacity to deal with a normal winter.
With a very few exceptions around the world governments do not care about people they care about money.

Nate

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 20, 2020 15:47

Here in London we are coming to terms with the Tier 4 restrictions announced yesterday (effectively the same level as the Spring lockdown) not only over Christmas but for an unknown time to come. No meeting anyone from another household indoors (except for work, essential shopping etc). All non-essential retail closed (which leaves many businesses holding perishable stock they had hoped to sell in the last minute Christmas rush). Pubs, cafes, restaurants, reduced to takeaways only. Travel in and out of Tier 4 areas banned, and we are being told essentially not to travel at all, and to stay at home as much as possible. Churches may hold services, but no singing, no wind instruments, no socialising and everyone masked ... makes for a very strange Carol service! But a number of my older friends have had their first vaccine shots, so there is the faintest glimmer of light at the end of this horrible winter.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 20, 2020 15:51

Some other countries may have ceased accepting flights from the UK but unfortunately last night immediately after Boris announced the tight new restrictions for London there was a mass exodus of people to the rest of the UK with roads and railways packed. So that'll be the new aggressive variant spreading elsewhere now. Utterly thoughtless, selfish behaviour.

[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-20 15:52 by grzegorz67.

Date: December 20, 2020 15:55

bv
PaintMonkeyManBlack

The elderly at nursing homes are completely helpless. Many are confused, they wander around in the corridors, and they don't understand why they should stay in their rooms, not having visitors, not talking to others in the same corridor, or in the shared rooms.

Also, the elderly in many countries live under conditions with no nurses, no doctors. They have been "taken care of", but they are not protected. Part time workers, young and with no symptoms of covid-19, work in elderly homes, then live their normal lives with restaurant visits and shopping, in covid-19 rich environments, then they bring the covid-19 illness into the homes, and once it is there, it is a tragedy.

It is an illusion that you may let the pandemic loose, and protect the elderly. Just look at USA or Sweden. Already, lifetime expectancy is down by 0.5 years for male people in Sweden. It is a tragedy, and it is dramatic.

Swedish Life Expectancy Is Set to Drop Due to the Pandemic (Bloomberg Nov 25, 2020)

Sweden: For men, average life expectancy has already fallen to 80.8 in the year through August, from 81.3, Statistics Sweden said. For women, it fell to 84.4 from 84.7.

It's very sad, i agree. In march they tried to protect the nursing homes by not letting anyone visit. But the healthcare working did not had the right equipment to keep everybody safe. I am not sure how it is in other countries, but in the Netherlands I think there will be a lot of political trouble over what happend in March. Mistakes were made. The quality of life was just non existant. People died alone. Very very sad.

I don't really understand the article about the expected life years. At least not corona related. If the crisis is over the expected life years should be the same as before right ?

However I did read about delayed and missed diagnoses. The cancer diagnoses have dropped drasticly. This will have a big impact the coming years.

My point is with the hundreds of billions invested to keep the economy going it should be possible to find a system to protect elderly, but also keep their quality of life acceptable.

Now we have a situation where everything is just .... up. Economy is going to the drain, long time healthcare problems arise, mental problems arise, elderly are still not protected (nursings homes are free for visit at this very moment).

In the Netherlands 76 people under 50 died. About 450 under 65.

Also for the current mortality rate (in NL) for 80+; Last week there were 2700 positive test in this group and 170 deads.

I think it worth the questions if these numbers justice to let people die alone (which they don't do anymore), but also damaging the economy, or the loss in life years due other physical or mental problems.

Really hard subjects. Let's hope it will be over soon.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 20, 2020 16:21

bv

At least 4 people have had allergic reactions after Pfizer's vaccine, among hundreds of thousands who've been vaccinated. Here's what we know. (Business Insider Dec 18, 2020)

Thanks for the info bv! The data don't really surprise me at all, but this kind of information should be spread around the masses much more intensively. Many people too much "rely" on totally incomplete information and act like they are medical experts in the way they interpret that ... really, afraid of the truth.
Indeed, trust science!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...176177178179180181182183184185186...LastNext
Current Page: 181 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home