Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...168169170171172173174175176177178...LastNext
Current Page: 173 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 8, 2020 21:43

TheGreek
LeonidP
Big Al
LeonidP
stickyfingers101
daspyknows
Big Al
Captain Corella: businesses have to survive and people need to go about their daily lives. The nation is sick of Covid-19 and, quite frankly, ludicrous 'tier systems' I'm all for social-distancing and wearing a facial-covering, but that should be it. We need to live. Those who are petrified are welcome to stay in their bunker until there's a vaccine and Covid-19 is under control. That's their choice.

Stupidity like this is why countries like the US and UK are not like Australia and New Zealand. The most ridiculous part of this statement is highlighted. There are many essential (sacrificial) workers who do not have the option of staying home in their bunker while Covidiots are out infecting them.

Hurling insults rarely works to convince people to listen to you.

generally, it has the opposite effect.

just saying.

thumbs up
It seems to be the only way he can argue. As stated before, there can't be a debate if he's just going to act like a little kid.

Well, some cannot debate without hurling insults, unfortunately. I have respect for my fellow posters; I just don’t always agree. The UK’s tier system is genuinely confusing and controversial. I am not a covid-denier and nor do I feel we should just go back to a complete normality: face-coverings will be with us for a while. I just don’t believe another shutdown is necessary.

Shutdown is not necessary, I don't feel either. Safety precautions are great, wear the masks, practice social distancing, etc. but you can't cripple the economy.

I have a friend that owns a bar/restaurant who told me he was definitely going to have to shut down. Then he got some stimulus of some sort, $150,000! Which he said likely he will not have to pay back. I said "great" to him, but I am thinking to myself "jesus, how many bars are in my state and/or country getting similar? How many billions (trillion?) will this cost? Where is that money coming from? Our taxes I guess.
So if everybody bites the dust , what will it matter as long as you don't cripple the economy ? There has to be safety in society versus just winging it .

Has everyone been "biting the dust"?

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: December 8, 2020 22:06

TheGreek
LeonidP
Big Al
LeonidP
stickyfingers101
daspyknows
Big Al
Captain Corella: businesses have to survive and people need to go about their daily lives. The nation is sick of Covid-19 and, quite frankly, ludicrous 'tier systems' I'm all for social-distancing and wearing a facial-covering, but that should be it. We need to live. Those who are petrified are welcome to stay in their bunker until there's a vaccine and Covid-19 is under control. That's their choice.

Stupidity like this is why countries like the US and UK are not like Australia and New Zealand. The most ridiculous part of this statement is highlighted. There are many essential (sacrificial) workers who do not have the option of staying home in their bunker while Covidiots are out infecting them.

just saying.

thumbs up
It seems to be the only way he can argue. As stated before, there can't be a debate if he's just going to act like a little kid.

Well, some cannot debate without hurling insults, unfortunately. I have respect for my fellow posters; I just don’t always agree. The UK’s tier system is genuinely confusing and controversial. I am not a covid-denier and nor do I feel we should just go back to a complete normality: face-coverings will be with us for a while. I just don’t believe another shutdown is necessary.

Shutdown is not necessary, I don't feel either. Safety precautions are great, wear the masks, practice social distancing, etc. but you can't cripple the economy.

I have a friend that owns a bar/restaurant who told me he was definitely going to have to shut down. Then he got some stimulus of some sort, $150,000! Which he said likely he will not have to pay back. I said "great" to him, but I am thinking to myself "jesus, how many bars are in my state and/or country getting similar? How many billions (trillion?) will this cost? Where is that money coming from? Our taxes I guess.
So if everybody bites the dust , what will it matter as long as you don't cripple the economy ? There has to be safety in society versus just winging it .

Oh Dear Lord...it's this type of hysteria that undermines the valid points you do have....

Fact: 90%+ of people survive (plus the demographics of the 10% are heavily weighted toward the elderly - esp. in old folks homes)

we need CAUTION, for sure...but "what if everybody bites the dust?" is a total non-starter to a legitimate conversation...

My position: if we're not closing Amazon factories, I don't see how it is fair to close down my local bookstore and ruin his life while Bezos gets to profit from the gov't shutting down competitors....that sounds more like fascism than anything.

My 2 Cents: If this is to be "fair," Amazon should only be allowed to sell products deemed "essential"....if bookstores are closed, Amazon should not be allowed to sell books....it's criminal to independent businesses to have it otherwise.....

same goes for WalMart and Target and...and...and....how is it fair that billionaires get MORE rich and independent businesses get shut down and ruined?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 8, 2020 22:31

Food for thought - the consequences of COVID-19 are more than ‘merely’ the rate of fatalities. There are many other significant and long-term health consequences, as noted in the below. Without getting hung up on the strict accuracy of those numbers, it does illustrate the very real fact that many who have been affected have serious and / or long lasting complications. COVID-19 cases are causing hospital staff - doctors, nurses, lab techs, cleaners and others - to burn out across the board, and many are leaving the profession. And when hospitals operate at or over capacity for so long, other things get cancelled or delayed, including cancer treatment and heart surgery. So this virus is threatening health care systems from top to bottom and the effects will be felt by all patients, not just those with COVID-19.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 8, 2020 23:04

Second person to get vaccine in the UK
was a gentleman named William Shakespeare .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 8, 2020 23:35

Rockman
Second person to get vaccine in the UK
was a gentleman named William Shakespeare .......

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate
That is the question

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2020 01:41

SomeTorontoGirl
Food for thought - the consequences of COVID-19 are more than ‘merely’ the rate of fatalities. There are many other significant and long-term health consequences, as noted in the below. Without getting hung up on the strict accuracy of those numbers, it does illustrate the very real fact that many who have been affected have serious and / or long lasting complications.

That does get wagged around, the 'what's the big deal with 1%' as if it's as simple as changing a dead battery.

Then there's the 'oh they're calling it a COVID death even though they had cancer' or whatever.

A lot of ignorance. As it continues.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 9, 2020 03:11

Nate
stickyfingers101
Nate
MisterDDDD
This breaking news isn't going to help.

Trump administration officials passed when Pfizer offered in late summer to sell the U.S. more vaccine doses.

"Trump administration officials passed when Pfizer offered in late summer to sell the U.S. government additional doses of its Covid-19 vaccine, according to people familiar with the matter. Now Pfizer may not be able provide more of its vaccine to the United States until next June because of its commitments to other countries, they said."
[www.nytimes.com]

It’s amazing how these evil @#$%& end up in the halls of power they should be nowhere else but on the fringes of society.

Nate

Yeah...this looks bad NOW....but Monday Morning Quarterbacking is the easiest thing in the world to do (for non-Gringo-English speakers, "Monday Morning QB-ing" is the whole "hindsight is 20-20" thing).

This was all pre-testing and pre-90% efficiency rate and all of that....in other words, the purchase order in "late summer" was for a product that the entire world and every "expert" was unsure if it would even work....

a cautious approach was justified at that point....it's a new virus we still don't fully understand and a vaccine we understood even less (at that time)....

If he had bought them in "late summer" and it turned out the vaccine didn't work or was only 20% effective....or another vaccine came out that was far cheaper....or, or, or, or.....they'd be grumping about what a fool he was to buy it without knowing what he was buying....

OR...if the US bought up all the vaccine, he'd be called a "racist-imperialist" (or something) for putting Americans first and not "sharing" w/ the rest of the world....

Yeah I’m sure most Americans are very grateful that their government didn’t waste money on a potential vaccine that could have saved many lives much better to spend it on bleach or vote recounts.

Nate

Or a 120 year stockpile of hydrochroroquine.

Date: December 9, 2020 03:17

SomeTorontoGirl
Food for thought - the consequences of COVID-19 are more than ‘merely’ the rate of fatalities. There are many other significant and long-term health consequences, as noted in the below. Without getting hung up on the strict accuracy of those numbers, it does illustrate the very real fact that many who have been affected have serious and / or long lasting complications. COVID-19 cases are causing hospital staff - doctors, nurses, lab techs, cleaners and others - to burn out across the board, and many are leaving the profession. And when hospitals operate at or over capacity for so long, other things get cancelled or delayed, including cancer treatment and heart surgery. So this virus is threatening health care systems from top to bottom and the effects will be felt by all patients, not just those with COVID-19.

Our resident Covid deniers and anti shutdown activists don't really care because it doesn't affect them. I also saw the comment that the only people who are for shutdowns are those who's business isn't affected. My business was affected as multiple clients are gone under. That affects my business but if the virus persists the it doesn't matter if the economy is open or closed, people won't spend money except on absolute necessities.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 9, 2020 05:15

daspyknows

Our resident Covid deniers and anti shutdown activists don't really care because it doesn't affect them. I also saw the comment that the only people who are for shutdowns are those who's business isn't affected. My business was affected as multiple clients are gone under. That affects my business but if the virus persists the it doesn't matter if the economy is open or closed, people won't spend money except on absolute necessities.

Wisest comment I've read in a very long time.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 9, 2020 08:23

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 9, 2020 09:02

daspyknows
SomeTorontoGirl

No, they’ll just buy their non-essential items online.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 9, 2020 13:16

LeonidP
TheGreek
LeonidP
Big Al
LeonidP
stickyfingers101
daspyknows
Big Al

just saying.

thumbs up

Has everyone been "biting the dust"?
Close to 300,000 casualties in the USA .

Date: December 9, 2020 13:38

stickyfingers101
TheGreek
LeonidP
Big Al
LeonidP
stickyfingers101
daspyknows
Big Al

just saying.

thumbs up

Oh Dear Lord...it's this type of hysteria that undermines the valid points you do have....

Fact: 90%+ of people survive (plus the demographics of the 10% are heavily weighted toward the elderly - esp. in old folks homes)

we need CAUTION, for sure...but "what if everybody bites the dust?" is a total non-starter to a legitimate conversation...

My position: if we're not closing Amazon factories, I don't see how it is fair to close down my local bookstore and ruin his life while Bezos gets to profit from the gov't shutting down competitors....that sounds more like fascism than anything.

My 2 Cents: If this is to be "fair," Amazon should only be allowed to sell products deemed "essential"....if bookstores are closed, Amazon should not be allowed to sell books....it's criminal to independent businesses to have it otherwise.....

same goes for WalMart and Target and...and...and....how is it fair that billionaires get MORE rich and independent businesses get shut down and ruined?
It's not fair at all and the giants do rake it in at the expense of the traditional mom and pop shops . Just as a side note i don't frequent Amazon and do try to shop local as much as i can afford as i have long term built in relationships with shops that serves me well and gives me tremondous savings when i shop wisely . It is amazing what one can accomplish with a little effort in how the direct there spending . Back on point all i am saying is about safety . Look at how these positive # are blowing up now in the USA just from Thanksgiving , i can't really wrap my head around all of the hoopla around one Holiday as we lead up to Christmas . I am left scrachting my head and thinking was it worth it to those that boarded a plane or hopped on a train to eat some Turkey with their loved ones all for one day ? In my neck of the woods the positive rate is 5% and we are near capacity at our hospitals . I am very lucky to have my job which i do have to report every weekday . I am at my wits end as there is no social life what so ever nada zilch . I have not gone out to eat since last winter , ditto for taking in a movie .Work and grocery shopping .Thank God for having stuff to amuse myself and play with at home . I dread this coming winter .

Date: December 9, 2020 13:42

SomeTorontoGirl

Exactly right , if it doesn't kill you it will leave you seriously compromised in your Cardiac , Respiratory, and Pulmanary system .That's exactly where all my anxiety lies - dimminished quality of life !

Date: December 9, 2020 13:45

TheGreek
[[/quote] Close to 300,000 casualties in the USA .

And the population of the U.S.A. is?

300,000 people is a huge number, but what would the percentage be, exactly? It's not 'everyone biting the dust' exactly, is it? Let's get some perspective, yeah?

Date: December 9, 2020 13:50

TheGreek
Exactly right , if it doesn't kill you it will leave you seriously compromised in your Cardiac , Respiratory, and Pulmanary system .That's exactly where all my anxiety lies - dimminished quality of life !

It kills a tiny minority. I'm not dismissing the severity of the virus on the health of some, but just how many have had their cardiac and respiratory health affected? I suppose we cannot know for certain what the long-term effects may be. Fingers-crossed, it seems the majority are okay. I'm sorry you have anxiety over this. As someone who medicates for it, I know the feeling.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2020 14:31

Big Al
TheGreek

It kills a tiny minority. I'm not dismissing the severity of the virus on the health of some, but just how many have had their cardiac and respiratory health affected? I suppose we cannot know for certain what the long-term effects may be. Fingers-crossed, it seems the majority are okay. I'm sorry you have anxiety over this. As someone who medicates for it, I know the feeling.

THE POINT is the long term effects. That is the uncertainty and why some are way more concerned than others. Being concerned and protecting one's self does not kill anyone. It's the other way around. This is not something to just fling off like dandruff.

It's killing a tiny minority... I guess I wasn't aware that there is a large minority anywhere: more people die everyday, and lately a lot more.

Is 3 million acceptable? 10 million? It's obvious for some it is. Sure, there's still a lesser chance of being struck by lightning. The problem is, that kind of percentage is wonderful - until the storm is over your house.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: December 9, 2020 15:17

TheGreek
SomeTorontoGirl

Does this analysis assume a 100% infection rate?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 9, 2020 16:26

LeonidP
Big Al
LeonidP
stickyfingers101
daspyknows
Big Al

just saying.

thumbs up

Beats the cost of funerals for your friends and family

Rod

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 9, 2020 17:02

I don't think it is a recommended strategy to ignore the pandemic. Then the health system will collapse, or be busy for a long time. Also, we will have a hard time explaining to the next generation where all the grandfathers and grandmothers are, when they start asking in a few years time.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-09 17:02 by bv.

Date: December 9, 2020 17:13

Big Al
TheGreek

300,000 people is a huge number, but what would the percentage be, exactly? It's not 'everyone biting the dust' exactly, is it? Let's get some perspective, yeah?

So, the LEADING cause of death in America in 2020 is being diminished again. Put that in perspective it is more than heart attacks, more than cancer. That is some perspective.

Looking at last year's tour 300,000 people is every person who attended both Chicago show, Burl's Creek, Landover, Foxboro, New Orleans, Jacksonville and part of Philadelphia. At the current rate it is more than a stadium full per month. That is putting it in perspective.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: December 9, 2020 17:33

daspyknows
Big Al
TheGreek

So, the LEADING cause of death in America in 2020 is being diminished again. Put that in perspective it is more than heart attacks, more than cancer. That is some perspective.

Looking at last year's tour 300,000 people is every person who attended both Chicago show, Burl's Creek, Landover, Foxboro, New Orleans, Jacksonville and part of Philadelphia. At the current rate it is more than a stadium full per month. That is putting it in perspective.

Big Al, what would that percentage mean if it was yo mama who was stricken?

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: December 9, 2020 17:46

The coronavirus death count in the US is probably undercounted. If you look at the CDC web site for total deaths for the first 10 months of 2014 thru 2019 you will see the total death count for 2020’s first 10 months is much higher then any of the other years. The true death total might be as high as 350,000 in the US.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 9, 2020 18:07

Natlanta
... Does this analysis assume a 100% infection rate?

I don’t believe so, I think it is meant to illustrate the serious, long term, health effects beyond the oft-cited fatality rate. We don’t usually see these numbers. The consequences of the virus can be major, affecting patients’ lives and also overload the health care system. This can cause cascading economic consequences. For people in favour of he Herd Immunity approach, the result won’t just be a ‘small’ proportion of fatalities, but other long-term effects that can be similarly devastating for the economy.

Date: December 9, 2020 19:06

daspyknows
Big Al
TheGreek

You’re wrong. Covid is the third largest killer, trailing behind heart failure and cancer.

[www.scientificamerican.com]

Date: December 9, 2020 19:33

While we are on this topic i get a kick out of Greedy Ticketmaster/ Live Nation who are floating the idea of maybe temperature checks and prof of taking the vaccine in order to attend a concert . Yeah sure right ok a dokey . As if i will reveal personal health care history / info for the opportunity to take in a live event and fork over big bucks -ha ha ha - not happening and i don't care except for safe guarding my privacy .

Date: December 9, 2020 19:43

Big Al
daspyknows
Big Al
TheGreek

You’re wrong. Covid is the third largest killer, trailing behind heart failure and cancer.

[www.scientificamerican.com]

You are wrong. Your article was from October 8th. In 8 weeks it has gotten much worse. Currently Covid is the leading cause of death.

[www.webmd.com]

Date: December 9, 2020 20:29

I am surprised that people still think covid-19 is less fatal than the flu, cancer, heart attack or other fatal conditions.

First of all, you may reduce the risk of heart attack, cancer and the flu, by living healthy, quit smoking, drinking responsible, avoiding overweight, and taking the flu shot. Still, there is absolutely NO protection from covid-19.

Secondly, covid-19 is a pandemic, very unlike a heart attack or cancer. A pandemic will damage the economy, and it is a threat to anyone close to a sick person. It is spreading like rings in water, very unlike cancer or heart attacks.

Thirdly, the covid-19 pandemic is not over, by far.

Leading Causes of Death
Data are for the U.S.
(CDC 2019)

Heart disease: 655,381
Cancer: 599,274
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 167,127
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 159,486

The current covid-19 numbers are not from a full year, they are from the first wave, and just parts of the 2nd wave, still counting, unfortunately.

Cancer and heart attack does not affect other people health wise. You may visit your relative or friend or wife or husband if cancer or heart issues happen. You do not need to protect like they do with covid-19. You do not have to quaranteen, we do not close cities if someone die from a heart attack or cancer.

If covid-19 is ignored then may be 0.1% to 0.5% of the population may die. Then a lot more people will have damaged health, damaged lungs, and the health system will collapse. It will be a nightmare.

Just a few examples of how bad it is, and we are in the middle of the 2nd wave now, spring is still months away, and it will take at least half a year to get vaccine to a majority of people:

California hospital beds are filling up and doctors and nurses are just worn out (CNN December 8, 2020)

99 procent av iva-platserna i Stockholms län fyllda: ”Läget är mycket allvarligt” (Dagens Nyheter, Sweden, December 9, 2020)
English: 99 percent of ICU (intensive care) beds in Stockholm city filled: "The situation is very serious"

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-09 20:33 by bv.

Date: December 9, 2020 22:12

How do the survival rates compare between cardiac arrest and a Covid-19 infection? Yes, the virus can kill, but surely, one is more likely to die from a heart attack?

Date: December 9, 2020 22:18

Big Al
How do the survival rates compare between cardiac arrest and a Covid-19 infection? Yes, the virus can kill, but surely, one is more likely to die from a heart attack?

And your point is what?

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...168169170171172173174175176177178...LastNext
Current Page: 173 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1247
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home