Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...164165166167168169170171172173174...LastNext
Current Page: 169 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 2, 2020 02:18

kovach
Thank you and yes we are in the US.

More concerned about my 80 year old mom. The retirement home she's in ran out of flu shots so we got her out to get one and while we were at it had a quick home meal for Thanksgiving with my brother and our families (less people than you can count on both hands). So far she's fine.

Was quite a catch-22...do we risk taking her to a clinic for a flu shot (they claim could help if you get covid too)? Was no good answer.

Hoping for the best.
Also, not like you need to hear it, but that wasn't a very wise or safe choice.

Catch 22 doesn't quite describe it as waiting for (or obtaining) the flu vaccine
would have been best option, as the risk of getting the reg flu much lower.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 2, 2020 02:44

MisterDDDD
kovach
Thank you and yes we are in the US.

More concerned about my 80 year old mom. The retirement home she's in ran out of flu shots so we got her out to get one and while we were at it had a quick home meal for Thanksgiving with my brother and our families (less people than you can count on both hands). So far she's fine.

Was quite a catch-22...do we risk taking her to a clinic for a flu shot (they claim could help if you get covid too)? Was no good answer.

Hoping for the best.
Also, not like you need to hear it, but that wasn't a very wise or safe choice.

Catch 22 doesn't quite describe it as waiting for (or obtaining) the flu vaccine
would have been best option, as the risk of getting the reg flu much lower.

Not quite following but my thinking was getting the flu and covid would be a worst case scenario, so hoping to prevent one might be best.

Kind of a annoyed the place my mom's at didn't plan flu shots better.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 2, 2020 09:22

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Pfizer vaccine officially approved for use in UK with rollout to commence from next week. This is the -80 centigrade one so hard to distribute. But it's happening. The army are likely to be involved in distribution.

We're the 1st country in Western World to approve a COVID vaccine. At 53, I certainly won't be amongst the 1st to get it but my parents are in their late 70s and will be. 68 million of us here so it won't be quick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-02 09:27 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: December 2, 2020 11:47

grzegorz67
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Pfizer vaccine officially approved for use in UK with rollout to commence from next week. This is the -80 centigrade one so hard to distribute. But it's happening. The army are likely to be involved in distribution.

We're the 1st country in Western World to approve a COVID vaccine. At 53, I certainly won't be amongst the 1st to get it but my parents are in their late 70s and will be. 68 million of us here so it won't be quick.

Great news this - scale wise the nhs recruiting 120,000 temporary staff and (I work in estates in the NHS, never been as busy...) space to do it

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 2, 2020 12:31

So, those awaking this morning in tier 2 can look forward to a trip to the boozer for a pint and a ‘substantial meal’, before being asked to leave once the glass is drained. Oh, happy days! eye rolling smiley

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 2, 2020 13:50

I predicted there would be a good chance of a vaccine being released before the end of this year. Yippie!

Bring on the mosh pit! grinning smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 2, 2020 14:03

RIP Ben Bova, great science fiction writer. Died from COVID-19 complications.

[www.tor.com]

Date: December 2, 2020 14:05

9 Order of Priority Groups for vaccination have been announced here.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

I scrape into Group 9, with my parents, a similar age to the Stones in group 3. Charlie's in Group 3 and Ronnie Group 4. As Mick and Keith are non doms, I doubt they'll be eligible.

After that it's the general population, defined here as the Under 50s with no known underlying health problems.

Notably there is no queue jumping for those willing to go private. All distribution is through the NHS. It all starts next week.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-02 14:14 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 2, 2020 15:00

Very good news for us here in UK and I guess the rest of the world will not be far behind giving their approval.
My dear 94 year old Mum will be on top of the list as well as all the wonderful Care Home workers.
Luckily my dear Mum has been in very good health since being in a Care Home the past year.
I haven't been able to see her since early March,but my sister has seen her for a few half hour visits in past few months.
Being 69 next month I will not be that far behind getting the vaccine.
My general health has been very good this past year which I am very pleased about.
Just gotta get my knee replacement done as had an ingrown toenail infection when the op was due and now back on waiting list.

Date: December 2, 2020 15:19

crawdaddy
Very good news for us here in UK and I guess the rest of the world will not be far behind giving their approval.
My dear 94 year old Mum will be on top of the list as well as all the wonderful Care Home workers.
Luckily my dear Mum has been in very good health since being in a Care Home the past year.
I haven't been able to see her since early March,but my sister has seen her for a few half hour visits in past few months.
Being 69 next month I will not be that far behind getting the vaccine.
My general health has been very good this past year which I am very pleased about.
Just gotta get my knee replacement done as had an ingrown toenail infection when the op was due and now back on waiting list.

That puts you in Group 5. Absolutely zero doubt that your mum and her carers will be in Group 1! Stay safe, sir. I've been working at home continuously since the 1st lockdown in March, about 6 weeks after I met you in the King's Tun. It's pretty much become a normal part of life now and I don't even think about it. I'm expecting that to continue well into next year, when the entire UK population has been vaccinated. I'm in no hurry to return to the office.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-02 15:26 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 2, 2020 15:30

Norway authorities announced the Christmas season recommendations today. Basically stay at home if you can, do not travel abroad, but feel free to visit your family, with a maximum of ten visitors, two times through the holiday season, typically one visit Christmas Eve, and one visit New Years Eve, same visitors both times, i.e. not 10+10 visitors.

Norway authorities also stated today they will not start vaccinating until vaccines are approved by EU, which is expected by the end of December. They expect to vaccinate all of the population age 65+ within the winter and spring, also health personal in that time frame.

Bjornulf

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 2, 2020 15:33

Thank you brilliant scientists!
And of course, THANK YOU doctors, nurses, first responders!

Date: December 2, 2020 15:50

Here’s How Dolly Parton Was Involved in Moderna's Coronavirus Vaccine Research (Billboard)

Dolly Parton is using her success for good. Back in April, as the coronavirus began to spread rapidly worldwide, the country superstar donated $1 million to the disease's research at Vanderbilt University in honor of her friend and the university's professor of surgery Dr. Naji Abumrad. Turns out, that money helped fund Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine.

Moderna's groundbreaking coronavirus vaccine was designed in just 2 days (BusinessInsider)

On January 11, researchers from China published the genetic sequence of the novel coronavirus. Two days later, Moderna's team and NIH scientists had finalized the targeted genetic sequence it would use in its vaccine.

Bjornulf

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 2, 2020 20:03

Congrats to the UK.

Shows our slow bureaucracy in the US as I understand our Food & Drug Administration isn't even going to look at it until the end of next week. Which is a travesty that really needs some explanation, how can anything be more important than this right now.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 2, 2020 21:53

Group 4 for me - probably not until well into the New Year, but at least it's on its way. There are two more vaccines (one from Moderna and the 'Oxford' vaccine from AstraZeneca) in the UK approval pipeline, so by the time they get round to me it might be one of those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-02 22:02 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 2, 2020 23:13

I hope Santa and reindeer stay Covid free; We really need a good Christmas this year.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 2, 2020 23:23

grzegorz67
I'm in no hurry to return to the office.

I have a friend just like you. I’m the total opposite. Despite an underlying health condition, I begged a pleaded with work to attend the office once more. They relented, thankfully. Being at home and alone in my flat was wrecking my mental health.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 2, 2020 23:45

Chris Fountain
I hope Santa and reindeer stay Covid free; We really need a good Christmas this year.

Yes I hope so too but here in the U.K. I don’t expect Santa to arrive until January as he will have to quarantine for 14 days when entering the country.

Nate

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 2, 2020 23:53

Nate
Chris Fountain

Yes I hope so too but here in the U.K. I don’t expect Santa to arrive until January as he will have to quarantine for 14 days when entering the country.

Nate

That's why I can't visit my family in the UK for Christmas this year. sad smiley But I'd hate to be responsible for getting them sick, and I'm sure Santa feels the same way.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 3, 2020 00:03

Well the North Pole has not reported any cases as of date. Also, He we will be travelling over U.K. late at night when everyone is asleep.

When he goes down the chimney he can put on a mask at that point. Rudolf may not be able to wear a mask while flying as Santa needs his red nose to guide the sled.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 3, 2020 00:08

Chris Fountain
Well the North Pole has not reported any cases as of date. Also, He we will be travelling over U.K. late at night when everyone is asleep.

When he goes down the chimney he can put on a mask at that point. Rudolf may not be able to wear a mask while flying as Santa needs his red nose to guide the sled.

Didn't you know Santa has delivered the first pile of (properly frozen) vaccins to the UK? He got a shot himself first of all. So ... no worries! (Really?)
smileys with beer

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: December 3, 2020 00:09

Nate
Chris Fountain

Nate

smiling smiley

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 3, 2020 01:34

Chris Fountain

There is no testing lab in the north pole or south pole although the Pfizer vaccine can be stored there.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 3, 2020 02:15

My son is feeling much better. Thanks to my IORR family for thoughts and prayers!

Be safe, and Merry Christmas!

Date: December 3, 2020 02:42

Merry Christmas Elmo Lewis! Glad to know that you will enjoy the holidays in family

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 3, 2020 05:08

crholmstrom

[www.tor.com]

You left out that he also had pneumonia and a stroke. As a sci-fi lover, sad to see him go!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 3, 2020 05:11

something dodgy here, uk produce a vaccine, no one else has yet, and the uk vaccine isnt yet approved by the eu or who yet the government has waved any responsibility if anything goes wrong and expects us to queue up to take it, i certainly wont be, id rather have the virus cos then i know im safe and going to live.

vaccines need years of testing to determine if its safe, uk needs to wisen up here, were being tricked. the testing system didnt work either and they expect us to lap up false stats.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 3, 2020 06:55

LeonidP
crholmstrom

[www.tor.com]

You left out that he also had pneumonia and a stroke. As a sci-fi lover, sad to see him go!

Pneumonia is one of the Covid symptoms and a primary cause of death. Let's be factual here.

[www.naplesnews.com]

A science fiction writer who for decades wrote a column in the Naples Daily News has died.

Ben Bova, 88, died Sunday, his niece Kathryn Brusco announced on Twitter.

"My Uncle Ben...by marriage...science fiction icon, author, adventure lover, story teller, futurist, and my son's namesake, Ben Bova, has passed away this morning from COVID-19 related pneumonia and a stroke," she wrote in a Tweet on Sunday. "Needless to say, he will be missed terribly by us and the world."

Date: December 3, 2020 11:33

buttons67
something dodgy here, uk produce a vaccine, no one else has yet, and the uk vaccine isnt yet approved by the eu or who yet the government has waved any responsibility if anything goes wrong and expects us to queue up to take it, i certainly wont be, id rather have the virus cos then i know im safe and going to live.

vaccines need years of testing to determine if its safe, uk needs to wisen up here, were being tricked. the testing system didnt work either and they expect us to lap up false stats.

There is nothing "dodgy" with the UK Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine. They just want to find out how large dose they need to use, in order to be most effective, and that take some extra time.

Why Oxford’s positive COVID vaccine results are puzzling scientists (Nature)

A highly anticipated COVID-19 vaccine has delivered some encouraging — but head-scratching — results. The vaccine developed by the University of Oxford, UK, and pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca was found to be, on average, 70% effective in a preliminary analysis of phase III trial data, the developers announced in a press release on 23 November.

But the analysis found a striking difference in efficacy depending on the amount of vaccine delivered to a participant. A regimen consisting of 2 full doses given a month apart seemed to be just 62% effective. But, surprisingly, participants who received a lower amount of the vaccine in the first dose and then the full amount in the second dose were 90% less likely to develop COVID-19 than were participants in the placebo arm.

AstraZeneca hopes to gather more data on the dosing regimen. The company has so far given the vaccine to around 10,000 participants in a US arm of the efficacy trial, which was paused for more than a month starting in September, while researchers investigated a neurological condition in a UK trial participant.

The company plans to ask regulators whether it can modify the trial to include the more efficacious dosing regimen, said Mene Pangalos, vice-president of biopharmaceuticals research at AstraZeneca, which is based in Cambridge, UK, at a press briefing.

“It would be madness to use more vaccine than you needed to get less efficacy,” says Ewer. “I think we will see a move towards roll-out of the ‘low dose, standard dose’ regime.”

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-03 11:41 by bv.

Date: December 3, 2020 11:48

BBC just published a great report on the covid-19 vaccine status as per now:

Covid vaccine update: When will others be ready?

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...164165166167168169170171172173174...LastNext
Current Page: 169 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home