Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...159160161162163164165166167168169...LastNext
Current Page: 164 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 17, 2020 12:18

[www.thestar.com]

COVID-19 vaccines pose new transportation challenges. Canadian innovators are stepping up
Tonda MacCharles
By Tonda MacCharlesOttawa Bureau

OTTAWA —One week. Two vaccines heralding promise. Maybe three more months before COVID-19 vaccine jabs could start being delivered to somewhere in Canada.

Canada took another step toward that milestone Monday when the federal government announced the names of four main bidders who have been selected to compete for the contracts to deliver a vaccine or vaccines — once approved by Health Canada — to Canadians.

On Monday, the Canadian military also flagged that it is now on standby to help.

And meanwhile, just as happened in the spring, Canadian companies and innovators with outside-the-box solutions are stepping up to offer to help in Ottawa’s looming dilemma of how to store, transport and distribute potentially more than 70 million vaccine doses that have unique cold storage requirements.

The two front-runner vaccine candidates that have reported promising early results are developed by Pfizer and Moderna.

Pfizer’s potential vaccine needs “ultracold” storage at -80C. Moderna’s requires -20 C for long-term shipping and storage but remains stable at 2 C to 8 C, the temperature of a standard home or medical refrigerator, for up to 30 days. Moderna says that allows for storage at most pharmacies, hospitals or physicians’ offices. Once the vaccine is removed from the refrigerator for administration, the company says it can be kept at room temperature conditions for up to 12 hours.

Flavio Volpe, head of Canada’s auto supply manufacturers association, quietly cast around last week for creative solutions to the “ultracold” freezer puzzle. Then he went public, posting on Twitter that he was trying to crowdsource ideas for Ottawa’s decision-makers. He’d done the same thing last spring when a shortage of personal protective equipment and ventilators became apparent in the first wave.

“In the end, we may not be able to help here, but if we can help people get a vaccine within a month, two months, 10 months or more before things would happen naturally, why wouldn’t we?” Volpe said in an interview. “We all have a stake in getting things back to normal.”

Almost immediately, his call was answered.

Texts and emails landed from a range of companies: auto suppliers that make specialized Styrofoam that could be used for dry-ice containers; companies that already make high-grade Styrofoam containers for the delicate shipping of organs for transplant; companies that manage the shipping and transport of frozen agricultural products like bull semen; and companies that make compressors and condensers, and are investigating whether they can be upgraded and adapted.

Jim Estill of Danby Appliances tweeted back his company is making -80 C freezers. “How many do you want?” he asked.

Reached Monday, Estill said his company is about to roll out a new ultracold freezer, developed in the past 90 days, that will cost an estimated $10,000 apiece.

Estill is talking to the companies aiming to lead the distribution effort. “None of them make freezers. We make freezers. So they need freezers — that’s the bottom line.

“What we don’t know yet is how they’re planning on distributing it,” said Estill. “Are they going to put everything in Toronto and then shoot it out to London from there or are they going to put one in every hospital, one in every pharmacy?

“The logistics of getting everything around, this is going to be the next crisis, to get this done.”

In Victoria, Peter Evans heads up CryoLogistics Refrigeration Technologies Ltd. which has developed a large vaccum-insulated freezer container that runs on liquid carbon dioxide, can hold a pallet-full of product, and keep it frozen or chilled without having to be plugged in to a power supply or generator. His company is also in the running to subcontract as a supplier to the companies seeking to distribute the vaccine.

The technology for the “SnowShip Sytem” has been in development for about four years, and the company is about to begin commercial production. Evans believes it can provide a solution for some of the delivery challenges COVID-19 vaccines pose.

The container operates by converting liquid carbon dioxide to a solid within the container, generating dry ice. It can do the conversion at a steady, predictable rate, and can be programmed to reach the temperature required by whatever product is stored inside, temperatures from the 2 C to 8 C degree range down to -70 C or -80 C. “We were not thinking COVID when we developed our product,” he said. Now they are.

“What we don’t know yet is how they’re planning on distributing it,” said Estill. “Are they going to put everything in Toronto and then shoot it out to London from there or are they going to put one in every hospital, one in every pharmacy?

“The logistics of getting everything around, this is going to be the next crisis, to get this done.”

In Victoria, Peter Evans heads up CryoLogistics Refrigeration Technologies Ltd. which has developed a large vaccum-insulated freezer container that runs on liquid carbon dioxide, can hold a pallet-full of product, and keep it frozen or chilled without having to be plugged in to a power supply or generator. His company is also in the running to subcontract as a supplier to the companies seeking to distribute the vaccine.

The technology for the “SnowShip Sytem” has been in development for about four years, and the company is about to begin commercial production. Evans believes it can provide a solution for some of the delivery challenges COVID-19 vaccines pose.

The container operates by converting liquid carbon dioxide to a solid within the container, generating dry ice. It can do the conversion at a steady, predictable rate, and can be programmed to reach the temperature required by whatever product is stored inside, temperatures from the 2 C to 8 C degree range down to -70 C or -80 C. “We were not thinking COVID when we developed our product,” he said. Now they are.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 19, 2020 19:10

World Health Organization Europe update:

Statement – Situation update on COVID-19: doing our share, a new horizon with technological and pharmaceutical development, and preserving the rights of children
Statement by Dr Hans Henri P. Kluge, WHO Regional Director for Europe
19 November 2020

From the statement:

First, if we all do our share, lockdowns are avoidable. I stand by my position that lockdowns are a last-resort measure. Mask use is by no means a panacea, and needs to be done in combination with other measures; however, if mask use reached 95%, lockdowns would not be needed. But, at mask-use rates of 60% or lower, it is hard to avoid lockdowns.

Second, technologies and pharmaceutical developments are offering us a new horizon. While vaccines will not stop COVID-19 entirely and do not answer all of our questions, they do represent a great hope in the war against this virus. In the last few days, we have received good news with 2 particularly promising vaccines. However, this promise will never be realized unless we assure that all countries have access to the vaccine market, that it is delivered equitably, that it is effectively deployed and that countries address pockets of vaccine hesitancy.

Third, looking ahead, we must ensure safe learning for our children and make sure they enjoy the festive season. We possess a wealth of country practices on how to go after the virus without going after the people. We have been able to ensure safe learning for our children by keeping the vast majority of schools open for almost 100 consecutive days.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-19 19:12 by bv.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 19, 2020 21:24

Irix
DandelionPowderman

I thought the Moderna vaccine didn't require the «super-freezers»...

The Pfizer vaccine requires a storage at -75°C (-103°F) and the Moderna vaccine -20°C (-4°F) - [www.BBC.com] . But who knows which vaccines from the seven potential suppliers Canada will use - [iorr.org] .

If I heard right, they're both touting ~95% effectiveness. If that's the case, they'll probably flood the market with both to get as many vaccinated as possible as quickly as possible.

The one that needs to be kept at -75 degrees probably to hospitals that have the necessary freezers already and everything else to Walgreens, CVS etc. who not not have the specialized freezers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-19 21:24 by kovach.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 19, 2020 22:55

19-Nov-2020: German Chancellor Angela Merkel expects a corona vaccine to be approved in Europe as early as December or "very soon after the turn of the year". "And then, of course, vaccination will begin", said the CDU politician on Thursday evening after the EU video summit. "It must be said that the news of the last few days regarding the development of a vaccine gives cause for great confidence." - [www.Handelsblatt.com] - (in German).

(Germany has the Presidency of the Council of the European Union, July–December 2020)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 19, 2020 22:57

While hypocritical California Governor Gavin Newsom was busted attending a party w/out masks at a fancy pants five star restaurant schmoozing with other elite VIP's while not following his own rules ( via CNN hypocrite ),
several counties are going back to the most extreme "purple tier", with the entire state suffering badly again from the coronavirus. He has apologized, but lied to the public when apologizing - he wasn't outside of the restaurant as he claimed, but inside as newly released photos have shown. And I used to think he was a decent guy making sure everyone would get through this mess, but instead he's a typical lying political piece of crap.
Headlines screaming "Practice what you preach"...and "Do as I say, not as I do"....can't trust the dirtbag anymore.

Lots of purple...............not good.

A more detailed explanation of the colored tier system -> COVID <- of what can stay open, what has to close, what has limited capacity, etc., etc., etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-19 23:12 by Hairball.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 20, 2020 06:32

Very bad look by Newsome. That said, things are getting bad but compared to many other places California has done better than many other states because people have mostly followed the rules. The next 90 days are going to be rough in the US but hopefully things start to improve in Q1 2021 with vaccines and mitigation steps.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 20, 2020 07:12

It's not just a very bad look, but also very bad leadership, and setting a very bad example.
Many people who don't know any better will see what he's done, and think to themselves "if he can do it, why cant I"?.
Others who already ignore such rules will be telling others "see, I told you it's not a big deal...even the Gov. is out partying with a crowd and not wearing masks".
Anyhow, the guys an idiot and to make up for his idiocy he's setting a curfew for all counties in the purple tier > Curfew. ("The curfew is set to remain in effect until Dec. 21 at 5 a.m.")
Yeah it's probably the best thing at this point, but we wouldn't have to be in that position if it wasn't for morons like Newsom who were recklessly out and about, and in some cases spreading the disease.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-20 07:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 20, 2020 09:04

It's those notorious 30% of society (basically anywhere around the world) that will either ignore warnings of any kind and indeed point to wrong leaders to prove that those warnings don't help or blame all bad things to others.
Ugly photos on sigarette packs (for more than 10 years now in our country) has (maybe) resulted in a small decrease in male smokers, but ... the number of female smokers has increased !?!?!
Showing images of badly ill Covid-19 people in newspapers or on TV doesn't seam to bother that same 30% of society (including stupid politicians) hot smiley
Lately I started listening again to that old Stones song from 1966 .... What To Do?, but make sure anyway to have a facemask with/ on me and look deep in the eyes of those "ignorers". Most turn away their eyes, some see it as a tease.
30% ... we'll never get rid of them, I think.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 20, 2020 09:42

I am wondering if it makes sense to issue cards certifying that you have been vaccinated. Not for Big Brother, but to allow for business travel and related to get the economy to ramp up. Take trade shows as an example. As long as you have your vaccination card you can attend the trade show. Same thing for movies, restaurants, etc.

I can envision people whining about the injustice of it all, but you have to move forward somehow.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 20, 2020 11:50

MileHigh
I am wondering if it makes sense to issue cards certifying that you have been vaccinated. Not for Big Brother, but to allow for business travel and related to get the economy to ramp up. Take trade shows as an example. As long as you have your vaccination card you can attend the trade show. Same thing for movies, restaurants, etc.

I can envision people whining about the injustice of it all, but you have to move forward somehow.

Sure it makes sense. But only if you take in account that such "cards" are reliable (read: strictly personal and highly secure). Corona is "hot", so there will always be people who want to take (financial) advantage out of it, especially because we'll be dealing with very large quantities.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 20, 2020 12:26

Hairball
It's not just a very bad look, but also very bad leadership, and setting a very bad example.
Many people who don't know any better will see what he's done, and think to themselves "if he can do it, why cant I"?.
Others who already ignore such rules will be telling others "see, I told you it's not a big deal...even the Gov. is out partying with a crowd and not wearing masks".
Anyhow, the guys an idiot and to make up for his idiocy he's setting a curfew for all counties in the purple tier > Curfew. ("The curfew is set to remain in effect until Dec. 21 at 5 a.m.")
Yeah it's probably the best thing at this point, but we wouldn't have to be in that position if it wasn't for morons like Newsom who were recklessly out and about, and in some cases spreading the disease.

Overall our governor, Jay Inslee, in Washington has done a pretty good job. I do have 1 negative comment though. The situation here is similar to California & it was obvious which way things were going by election day. Nonetheless, the new restrictions were not announced until this week. They probably should've been put in place far earlier than they were.

Date: November 20, 2020 12:40

Keeping a distance is by far the most important measure in avoiding the spread of the corona virus. In short, from a Lancet article this summer:

Coronavirus: Could social distancing of less than two metres work? (BBC)

In a study published in medical journal The Lancet, scientists looked at research into how coronavirus spreads.

They concluded that keeping at least 1m from other people could be the best way to limit the chances of infection.

The risk of being infected is estimated to be 13% within 1m, but only 3% beyond that distance.

And the study says that for every extra metre of distance up to 3m, the risk is further reduced by half. (1 m = 3 ft)

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-20 12:48 by bv.

Date: November 20, 2020 13:47

Right out of a sci-fi movie.

Inventors design high-tech helmets for Covid protection.

[www.bbc.com]

Date: November 20, 2020 13:51

Coming to a theater near you! Bubble obligatory. cool smiley

[www.imdb.com]

Date: November 20, 2020 14:00

MileHigh

Coming to a theater near you!

And I thought you meant that one: [www.imdb.com] .... winking smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 20, 2020 14:51

Posting this to see if anyone has had a rapid antibody test.
Coming (very) soon to my local grocery store pharmacy, I believe I may go ahead and get one. In fifteen minutes at a cost of only $25 the test will determine whether you have had the virus in the past unknowingly.
Wouldn't change how cautious I am as it is still unsettled on whether you can get the virus more than once, but it would be good to know as reinfection seems very unlikely.

Fred Meyer, QFC launch COVID-19 rapid antibody tests at pharmacies across Washington

Fred Meyer and QFC stores are now offering coronavirus rapid antibody testing at pharmacies across Washington and the Pacific Northwest.

The tests — which require a finger-prick blood sample and cost $25 — are intended to let people know whether they have previously been infected with the virus that causes COVID-19.
People can receive their results from the test within 15 minutes.
[www.seattlepi.com]

Date: November 20, 2020 14:55

20-Nov-2020: "Pfizer (and its German partner BioNTech) will be the first companies to seek emergency authorization for a coronavirus vaccine in the United States. The move means a vaccine could be available on a limited basis within weeks." - [www.WashingtonPost.com] , [www.FT.com] .

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 20, 2020 15:05

MileHigh
Coming to a theater near you! Bubble obligatory. cool smiley

[www.imdb.com]

Or a fancy restaurant. Canlis in Seattle doing these..

Canlis readies its latest feat for dining in Seattle: an outdoor 'Yurt Village
[www.seattlepi.com]

Date: November 20, 2020 18:02

Irix
20-Nov-2020: "Pfizer (and its German partner BioNTech) will be the first companies to seek emergency authorization for a coronavirus vaccine in the United States. The move means a vaccine could be available on a limited basis within weeks." - [www.WashingtonPost.com] , [www.FT.com] .

This is great but doesn't solve distribution issues. For all the talk about vaccine development there has been little money or attention to vaccine distribution. Vials of vaccine in warehouses doesn't help people, vaccines stuck in people's arms may. This is especially the case in rural areas where the virus is currently doing the most damage.

Date: November 20, 2020 18:20

daspyknows

This is great but doesn't solve distribution issues.

I don't think distribution is really an issue. They'll find solutions regarding freezers/coolers and the distribution to rural areas could be supported by the Army. For instance, Germany's armed forces (Bundeswehr) will support the distribution of a vaccine because it's logistically complex. Refrigerated containers in the barracks should enable the storage of a possible corona vaccine. - [www.Handelsblatt.com] - (in German).

Date: November 20, 2020 18:37

Irix
daspyknows

This is great but doesn't solve distribution issues.

I don't think distribution is really an issue. They'll find solutions regarding freezers/coolers and the distribution to rural areas could be supported by the Army. For instance, Germany's armed forces (Bundeswehr) will support the distribution of a vaccine because it's logistically complex. Refrigerated containers in the barracks should enable the storage of a possible corona vaccine. - [www.Handelsblatt.com] - (in German).

It involves money and none has been allocated for this.

Date: November 20, 2020 18:45

daspyknows

That's the task and responsibility of the government ....

Date: November 20, 2020 19:52

Irix
daspyknows

That's the task and responsibility of the government ....

It sure is. That's the problem here.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 20, 2020 20:10

Second wave here. Numbers are creeping up again. And the whole country. Not just the Stockholm and Gothenburg regions. This is not over yet.

Date: November 20, 2020 20:20

Stoneage

Second wave here. Numbers are creeping up again.

Also in Germany, although we have a partial lockdown since 2-Nov-2020, which will probably extended until 20-Dec-2020. 23,648 new infections and 260 deaths within one day despite strong anti-corona measures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-20 20:25 by Irix.

Date: November 20, 2020 20:39

I see masks everywhere. Outside people do use the mask whenever they move from shop to shop. Inside shops and the malls 98% of all people have a mask. Today I saw two people without a mask in total - I wonder if they realize they look like they are "nude", ignorance, and I wonder if they understand they are now outsiders in our common work to protect people at risk.

This week the first child died from covid-19 in Norway. Not only people age 85+ die from the virus. Every single death in Norway is listed in the papers. Where, approx age and so on, it makes us understand the people who die, too bad if they were just numbers in the statistics.

For months the total number of covid-19 deaths was almost flat here. We had a total of 250 deaths from covid-19 from the early spring and until the end of June. Then 5 died in July, then 10 in Aug, 10 in Sept, and 10 in Oct. So far in Nov 20 have died. The breaks are on, the masks are on, alcohol sales are banned in bars and restaurants, gyms closed, max 5 guests allowed in private homes for parties, penalties of nok 5,000 to 20,000 i.e. USD 500 to 2,000 make people understand the reality of the problem.

Hopefully the curves will turn down soon.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: November 20, 2020 20:44

Here's a nice big slow clap to BV for opening this once great board to all the whiny Karens amongst us. Keep the panic alive, genius!

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 20, 2020 20:58

Wear a mask if you want. It won't stop the virus though. Personally, I see no reason to wear one. Fortunately, there is no mask law here. Most people don't wear one.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 20, 2020 21:02

Kennedy
Here's a nice big slow clap to BV for opening this once great board to all the whiny Karens amongst us. Keep the panic alive, genius!

video: [www.youtube.com]

Ignoranus (n):
Someone who is both stupid and an arsehole.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 20, 2020 22:23

Stoneage
Wear a mask if you want. It won't stop the virus though. Personally, I see no reason to wear one. Fortunately, there is no mask law here. Most people don't wear one.

You give the awful impression of someone that hasn’t read any of the arguments against your position.

Nate

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...159160161162163164165166167168169...LastNext
Current Page: 164 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2070
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home