Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...156157158159160161162163164165166...LastNext
Current Page: 161 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: November 10, 2020 20:26

I live in the US. We have had about 500,000 cases in the last four days. It is getting very bad all over the country quickly. New York looks like it is becoming a hot spot again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-10 20:35 by Rocknroll1969.

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: November 10, 2020 20:29

Aquamarine
Nate
MisterDDDD
Nate

Good luck wearing that on a ten hour flight.

Nate

Yup. My first thought as well.
Won't be taking any, but would consider for a two hour flight cool smiley

I think the risk of picking up this virus when flying will be pretty low.Soon you won’t even be permitted to enter the airport if you have a high temperature let alone board a plane.Yes of course someone could have the virus and not be showing symptoms but with all the new safety measures that will be introduced and the fact that modern planes are already fitted with HEPA filters the same air filters that are used in operating theatres that remove 99.97% of impurities I think the risk will be low.
Personally I’m not worried about flying and will do so as soon as borders open again.There has never been a vaccine produced for any Coronavirus so this virus may be here to stay.I completely understand the need to shut things down and not let health systems get overwhelmed but in some places it is now time to seriously start looking at safely opening up again.

Nate

If modern planes are already fitted with HEPA filters and they're still germ-incubators, that doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence. confused smiley

The problem is also walking thru the airports. More cases might occur in the airports then on the planes.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 10, 2020 21:34

I don't think airports is a problem. You wear a mask and you keep a distance. Airports in Norway are virtually empty anyway. I used to have 100-150 travel days every year, flying for Stones tours, business etc. This year, I have just two travel days, by car two hours, to a mountain hotel, and zero flights.

Our authorities are publishing detailed lists of corona virus in each and every flight into and in Norway. The virus is mostly coming from other countries, like Poland, The Netherlands and so on, i.e. those who are infected with the virus brought it on the plane. All flights have a mask mandate so there is virtually no virus transmission on flights, if you really need to go somewhere.

The biggest problem is people who live in crammed apartments with many other people, big cities. Also, a lot of transfer of the virus is happening among people who do not wear masks, do not keep a distance, they simply live their lives like there was no virus around. They do not even have any symptoms, but they bring the virus on to their brothers, sisters, children, parents, and into nursing homes and so on.

Bjornulf

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 11, 2020 03:26

New site for info.

[arctic.som.ou.edu]

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 11, 2020 05:56

When I was a kid my father told me a story about WWII. After all of the bombing had churned up so much earth, a plant sprouted up and the botanists had never seen that plant before. It was "brought back." There is just so much life out there in Nature, good and bad for us bags of salty water.

We have been in a struggle with viruses and bacteria and parasites for millions of years. You never know if one day "The Big One" will happen and wipe out 99% of humanity. The remaining people will be immune.

There is nothing that you can do about it of course. Certainly Covid-19 is not "The Big One" and hopefully life will get back to normal next year.

Run for the hills!

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: November 11, 2020 08:40

In San Diego County, the number of cases is rising even though everywhere I go, indoors everyone is wearing a mask. I haven’t seen a single maskless person indoors since April. But I know people have been socializing more in restaurants and having large parties at home, and masks aren’t worn there. I take care of my elderly parents, so I don’t go anywhere other than food shopping. I miss seeing my friends. My only risky activity is going to the gym. I go during the day when it is not crowded. Everyone wears a mask and I keep 6 or more feet away from others and wipe down all equipment before and after use. I honestly feel safer at the gym than I do at the supermarket. But this Saturday, they are going to close gyms and indoor restaurant dining again because of the rise in cases.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 11, 2020 13:02

It's starting to get bad again in Seattle. It's as if people have forgotten there is a virus. At the same time, places like movie theaters are opening in a limited way. It makes zero sense. Due to my health, I really don't leave the house except to get food & prescriptions & I only go at nonpeak times. Have been to a few family type things but not many or often. If I get the virus, it will be a very bad thing.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 11, 2020 14:11

Seen in front of a local church:

Love thy neighbour,
Wear thy mask.

Covidicus 1.1

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: November 11, 2020 14:18

If masks work, why the lockdowns, if they don't work why are we forced to wear them.
Another thing, why don't we get flu in the flu season, only covid, can't believe people still haven't worked this one out yet.
Another really strange thing at the Hotel i work in, nearly 200 bedrooms almost fully booked all summer with guests from all over Britain including Liverpool, London and Manchester and not a single member of staff became sick from covid all summer and up to last Thursday, very strange that, cleaners, waitresses etc, many of them old too, go figure, guess we all got lucky to avoid this highly contagious covid, good job the Hotel is locked down, who knows what may have happened had it stayed open. Thank God we probably won't have jobs to go back to when the Hotel goes broke and Fuloued runs out next April.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 11, 2020 14:39

crholmstrom
It's starting to get bad again in Seattle. It's as if people have forgotten there is a virus. At the same time, places like movie theaters are opening in a limited way. It makes zero sense. Due to my health, I really don't leave the house except to get food & prescriptions & I only go at nonpeak times. Have been to a few family type things but not many or often. If I get the virus, it will be a very bad thing.

Glad to hear you are doing better. The way Seattle is described is the same situation in Martin County Florida. A lot of people have quit wearing masks and possibly compromising everyone's health. I'm very, very cautious when I go to the store. Go Hawks!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-11 15:05 by Chris Fountain.

Date: November 11, 2020 14:51

Masks do work. They take away 40% of the virus as a minimum, usually 50%. Only problem many people don't war the masks properly. They do not cover the nose, or they shift the mask down to under the mouth every time they walk in and out of shops and so on. If you shift around the same mask all day, you will sooner or later touch some virus outside the mask, and then you touch the face, your mouth, and you have the virus, some time.

Distance work. Two meter i.e. six feet distance take away 70% or more, may be 80%, of the virus.

Washing hands and adding alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol do work. You kill any virus on your hands.

Why does the virus still spread? Because many young people still meet up and talk and live just like they have lived all year, long time before March 2020. Also, some older people do not use masks, some refuse to wear a mask due to personal reasons, political reasons, or simply because they do not feel well about it.

Today I had a mask on for the first time this year. I live in an area with very low virus numbers, I can keep a distance, but starting this week the authorities issued a mask mandate, so I followed the mandate. It was not that complicated. I put on the mask at 10:30am, before my appointment with the physiotherapist, and I kept it on through the shopping center, when going into three different stores, and took it off at 11:30, no worries, I am still alive, and my personality and pride did not change after having a mask on for two hours. There are posters saying there is a mask mandate. You must be blind or selfish to ignore it. A mask cost a dollar so it is not that expensive.

From now on, and as long as needed, I will wear a mask any time I am inside a shopping center or at the physiotherapist or in a restaurant waiting for the food and so on. I owe it to anyone who might be affected by the virus, anyone.

Bjornulf

Date: November 11, 2020 15:00

Funny how people's minds work. Monday morning, i.e. two days ago, our capital city of Oslo in Norway issued a ban on training centers. It is common knowledge and proven fact that virus spread in the gym. So Oslo, with rapidly increasing corona virus numbers, issued a ban on training centers.

Yesterday there were largee queues outside training centers in the neighborhood counties of Oslo, just 10-20 minutes by car or tram/train, including where I live. They were still open, because our local county council wanted to show the business side a nice way of keeping business open. Last night the health minister phoned the mayors of our counties next to Oslo, and told them this was not good. Before noon today all training centers in these counties around Oslo closed.

For a long time now, some have been breaking the quarantine rules. They just went shopping, even if they were covid-19 positive. Now they get a fine of NOK 20,000 which is USD 2,000 i.e. 2,000 Euro. Then I guess they will understand the importance of the quarantine rules.

People do not care about the intention of advises and rules. They will always find a way around rules. They will go to a nearly county with different rules, or bend the rules. That is why the virus is still around, a lot.

Bjornulf

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 11, 2020 19:08

^ That's what has happened in the US. It is selfish people who are making it worse. The result is more people sick and dead.

What blows my mind is the selfishness of many of these people. It is simple, wear a mask, if things are bad and getting worse shut things down a bit to save lives. Hopefully the vaccines will be effective but we need time to get there.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 11, 2020 19:20

Probably the last place I'd want to go to is a public gym where people are profusely sweating and panting, and the virus is swimming around in perpetual motion due to all the activity.
Even with all the current safety protocols of sanitizing equipment, limited numbers of people, physical distancing etc., it a big NO from me.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 11, 2020 20:35

Hairball
Probably the last place I'd want to go to is a public gym where people are profusely sweating and panting, and the virus is swimming around in perpetual motion due to all the activity.
Even with all the current safety protocols of sanitizing equipment, limited numbers of people, physical distancing etc., it a big NO from me.

I have a vision ... (winking smileygrinning smiley). Some genius could decide to make special ultra thin concert suits. A bit like those worn by people working in the microchip industry. The suits should breath both ways, but the material has to be impregnated with Corona virus killing stuff (ah well, for the length of the concert ... all viruses). Those fans who wear glasses should have them sprayed with anti-condense stuff, because our faces will be inside the suit too. Off course the suit has to allow sound to travel both ways. To make sure the concert crowd doesn't look like in the "Radio Gaga" clip by Queen, the suits should be made in say 10 different colors.
Such a genius could be multi millionaire in no time grinning smiley

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: November 11, 2020 20:54

daspyknows
^ That's what has happened in the US. It is selfish people who are making it worse. The result is more people sick and dead.

What blows my mind is the selfishness of many of these people. It is simple, wear a mask, if things are bad and getting worse shut things down a bit to save lives. Hopefully the vaccines will be effective but we need time to get there.

Today, I sat in a dermatologist's office in Bradenton, Florida. A doctor's office and there were still people "wearing" a mask with their noses completely exposed!!! There are those that will say, "I can't breathe" and "it's uncomfortable". I don't buy it. It's pure selfishness. I know it's a pain but it is less of a pain than more and more people getting sick and/or dying!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-11 20:57 by steffialicia.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 11, 2020 21:59

steffialicia
daspyknows

Today, I sat in a dermatologist's office in Bradenton, Florida. A doctor's office and there were still people "wearing" a mask with their noses completely exposed!!! There are those that will say, "I can't breathe" and "it's uncomfortable". I don't buy it. It's pure selfishness. I know it's a pain but it is less of a pain than more and more people getting sick and/or dying!

Ask them if a ventilator would be more comfortable.

Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: November 11, 2020 22:09

Good one, STG! I saw this one recently: "Thou shalt not Covid thy neighbour's life. Wear thy mask."

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 11, 2020 23:07

[m.youtube.com]

Stones filled this place 2 years ago....

Date: November 11, 2020 23:26

Wear a real mask to protect yourself!

Date: November 11, 2020 23:32

A real mask filters out the atomized water droplets in the air. I view each atomized water droplet as a "hotel" or "pod" for who knows how many individual viruses.

When you enter a supermarket to shop for food, visualize a massive cloud of atomized water droplets in the air that is constantly being replenished by people breathing and speaking.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 11, 2020 23:36

Marmalade
Good one, STG! I saw this one recently: "Thou shalt not Covid thy neighbour's life. Wear thy mask."

Awesome, lady Marmalade! Hope you’re staying safe.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 12, 2020 00:15

MileHigh

Wear a real mask to protect yourself!

winking smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 12, 2020 02:19

How Ticketmaster Plans to Check Your Vaccine Status for Concerts: Exclusive

By Dave Brooks

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 12, 2020 02:31

Wonder what would happen if you purchase tickets, are not vaccinated, and then test positive within the 24 to 72 hour window prior to the concert...would they give you a refund?
Lots of kinks to be worked out, not to mention getting approved in the first place, but there might be hope.........

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 12, 2020 09:07

bye bye johnny
How Ticketmaster Plans to Check Your Vaccine Status for Concerts: Exclusive

By Dave Brooks

[www.billboard.com]

There are some doubtful assumptions ...

It's not proven (yet, hopefully) that you're "covered" for a year once you have been vaccinated. There are suggestions (based on secondary infection cases less than three months after a first infection) that the immunity period is limited. People who were recovered from a first infection died after a second time infection only three months later!

Also, when you have received a vaccine while having the virus inside you (without any noticeable symptoms) you could still transmit that virus to others.
All in all, a nice, but far from scientifically supported suggestion by a company, who's one and only purpose is to sell as many concert tickets as possible ..

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: November 12, 2020 09:43

Sorry, to me it looks like I already had my last Stones tour/gig...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 12, 2020 16:07

stone4ever
If masks work, why the lockdowns, if they don't work why are we forced to wear them.
Another thing, why don't we get flu in the flu season, only covid, can't believe people still haven't worked this one out yet.
Another really strange thing at the Hotel i work in, nearly 200 bedrooms almost fully booked all summer with guests from all over Britain including Liverpool, London and Manchester and not a single member of staff became sick from covid all summer and up to last Thursday, very strange that, cleaners, waitresses etc, many of them old too, go figure, guess we all got lucky to avoid this highly contagious covid, good job the Hotel is locked down, who knows what may have happened had it stayed open. Thank God we probably won't have jobs to go back to when the Hotel goes broke and Fuloued runs out next April.

Masks HELP, they’re not the be all end all.

Lockdowns help. In my country of Australia, about 4 months ago, we thought we had it under control. Victoria, our second largest state, all of a sudden lost control due to a problem with hotel quarantine rules not being stuck to or administered correctly. The virus took off again. The state was having >700 new cases a day and dozens of deaths per day. Went back into lockdown. Now, no new cases or deaths.

The virus IS out there, it’s deadly. To pretend it’s not is absolutely stupid and ignorant.

There are countries for whom civil liberty is paramount. To the complete, dangerous, detriment of civic responsibility. One is the US. It seems many States and communities just do not believe it’s serious and they are meandering into a veritable ongoing daily record of cases. Hospitals again are being over-run. Winter is coming. Their Federal government now just ignores it. “Vaccine coming, whoever is left will be right” seems to be the mantra. Honestly, you see the numbers and just shake your head in complete disbelief. It’s apparently fake news that 240,000 people have died.

But never mind. Let’s carry on with the pursuit of liberty and happiness. Grandpa and grandma were old anyways. We didn’t mean to give it to them. We’ve recovered now ourselves. Oh well...

Every little thing we can do to ease the path, to kill the path, of this virus, WE should do. I am an unemployed travel agent. But I, my wife and all my family and friends are healthy and have avoided Covid. We’re lucky. We’re all healthy. THAT makes us happy, and we’re not UNHAPPY that we haven’t been able to go to bars or clubs or concerts to be happy.

Rod

Date: November 12, 2020 19:39

Australia and New Zealand have been doing a great job with taking control of the virus. I don't know if schools and bars and normal life is open in these areas, but I have seen pictures from games with 20,000 plus crowds, which is a sign of how you may do normal life, and keep business running, when there is very little corona virus in the country.

For most parts of the so called western world, on the northern hemisphere, the corona virus numbers have been exploding through a new wave lately. The number of cases over the past 14 days per 100,000 population has been a measure of how much control each country do have over the virus. I do still remember late summer, when our authorities banned travel from any countries with more than 20 cases per 100,000 over the past 14 days. Now, all countries are banned, everything is in the "red" color, and cases grow rapidly.

Still, there are good news. Countries taking control of the virus, see the numbers going down, like Czechia, currently hit hard, but the numbers are now going down, and The Netherlands, also numbers going down.

It is just a matter of taking a quick strong rule set of masks, distance two meters, and avoiding the virus from getting into the nursing homes, where the elderly is at high risk. Also, when the covid-cases explode, hospitals go into overload, nurses and doctors are fully occupied with covid-19, and any other hospital activities like hip surgery, cancer treatment, transplants and so on may suffer badly, postponed routine surgery and so on.

Australia : Roughly 10 new covid-19 new cases over the past 14 days, population of 25 million people, i.e. 10 x 14 / 250 = 0.6 cases per 100,000 people during the past 14 days

New Zealand : Roughly 40 cases over the past 14 days i.e. 3 cases per day now, population of 5 million people, i.e. 40 / 50 = 0.8 cases per 100,000 people during the past 14 days

United Kingdom : Roughly 23,000 new cases over the past 14 days, population of 67 million people, i.e. 14 x 23,000 / 670 = 480 cases per 100,000 people during the past 14 days

Czechia : Roughly 10,000 new cases over the past 14 days,, population of 11 million people, i.e. 10,000 x 14 / 110 = 1300 cases per 100,000 people during the past 14 days

Netherlands : Roughly 7,500 new cases over the past 14 days, population of 17 million people, i.e. 7,500 x 14 / 170 = 620 cases per 100,000 people during the past 14 days

USA : Roughly 120,000 new cases over the past 14 days, population of 330 million, i.e. 14 x 120,000 / 3,300 = 510 cases per 100,000 people during the past 14 days

The corona virus is a deadly disease, and unless it is under control, up to one percent of the population will die over the next year or so. See the predictions of the next few months, related to rule sets being as they are, or stronger:

COVID-19 projections (IHME live data)

General daily numbers and graphs:

Worldometer

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-12 19:47 by bv.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 12, 2020 20:12

Comprehensive site for Coronavirus Metrics

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-12 21:54 by schillid.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...156157158159160161162163164165166...LastNext
Current Page: 161 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home