Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...149150151152153154155156157158159...LastNext
Current Page: 154 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Date: May 16, 2020 17:58

Hairball
"Operation Warp Speed"

I would have preferred ludicrous speed.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 16, 2020 18:12

makemeburnthecandle
Hairball
"Operation Warp Speed"

Lol - the article also mentioned several times that the goal of a vaccine by the end of the year might be a tad unrealistic.
But with the team the White House has put together led by a brilliant scientist whose well respected throughout the world, you never know.
Seemed like an interesting and fair article to me and don't know why it was deleted - especially when you see all the heavily political anti-Trump posts that make up probably 90% of this thread.
Again, not a Trump supporter, but it would be a bit more interesting if there was a balance of views, especially when something positive (that most of us would agree on) from the administration is being talked about.

Operation Warp Speed - has an interesting ring to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-16 18:14 by Hairball.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 16, 2020 18:28

Hairball
makemeburnthecandle
Hairball
"Operation Warp Speed"

Lol - the article also mentioned several times that the goal of a vaccine by the end of the year might be a tad unrealistic.
But with the team the White House has put together led by a brilliant scientist whose well respected throughout the world, you never know.
Seemed like an interesting and fair article to me and don't know why it was deleted - especially when you see all the heavily political anti-Trump posts that make up probably 90% of this thread.
Again, not a Trump supporter, but it would be a bit more interesting if there was a balance of views, especially when something positive (that most of us would agree on) from the administration is being talked about.

Operation Warp Speed - has an interesting ring to it.

So, the vaccine through the U.S. government will be ready right after the election? Sure sounds like a gaslighting exercise to me. It sounds like one of the 3 great lies. The checks in the mail (still waiting for my $1200), No job`s will be lost in the merger and a third one that I won't write here.

If this was coming from an independent pharma company I would feel better about it being tested properly. Right now there is little credibility in regards to public health from the government that I will let others take the first 100 million vaccines to confirm it is safe and not made from lysol.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 16, 2020 18:29

makemeburnthecandle
Hairball
"Operation Warp Speed"

Not 'Operation, tremendous speed, a speed no one has ever seen before speed'?

Sorry................cool smiley

Date: May 16, 2020 18:37

daspyknows
The checks in the mail (still waiting for my $1200)

No direct deposit set up?

Pretty sure all of those have been taken care of, while the snail mail checks will obviously take longer considering the massive numbers being dealt with.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 16, 2020 18:41

Hairball
Odd that a post about "Operation Warp Speed" - an article about the quest for a vaccine written by a science website - has been deleted as there was nothing political about it other than it had the US Presidents name.
Thought it would be newsworthy to note the lengths the US goverenment is willing to go to try and fight this problem.
I saw an interview clip last night of Alan Dershowitz - a self described left wing liberal (opposite of the President fyi)- and he praised the idea saying (to paraphrase) "all politics aside, I would think this is something that most everyone would get behind and root for". I'm not a Trump supporter by any means, but evidently mentioning anything positive about the current President and his goals is off limits here?

Not so odd considering the agenda here. Discussions should go both ways but apparently that isn't the case. Nice knowing you guys.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 16, 2020 18:52

Political posts quoted directly from governments and other political entities may be deleted. They may be biased and not based on science. As for the "we will have a vaccine this year" announcement by the US president yesterday, the following would be a more natural reference, in tune with most experts in vaccine and immunology these days:

Trump sets goal of hundreds of millions of coronavirus vaccine doses by January, but scientists doubt it (Washington Post May 16, 2020)

President Trump formally unveiled an initiative Friday afternoon aimed at making hundreds of millions of doses of a coronavirus vaccine broadly available by year’s end — a goal that many scientists say is unrealistic and could even backfire by shortchanging safety and undermining faith in vaccines more broadly.

Bjornulf

Date: May 16, 2020 18:54

bleedingman
Hairball
Odd that a post about "Operation Warp Speed" - an article about the quest for a vaccine written by a science website - has been deleted as there was nothing political about it other than it had the US Presidents name.
Thought it would be newsworthy to note the lengths the US goverenment is willing to go to try and fight this problem.
I saw an interview clip last night of Alan Dershowitz - a self described left wing liberal (opposite of the President fyi)- and he praised the idea saying (to paraphrase) "all politics aside, I would think this is something that most everyone would get behind and root for". I'm not a Trump supporter by any means, but evidently mentioning anything positive about the current President and his goals is off limits here?

Not so odd considering the agenda here. Discussions should go both ways but apparently that isn't the case. Nice knowing you guys.

What is the agenda here?

Bjornulf

Date: May 16, 2020 19:14

bv
Political posts quoted directly from governments and other political entities may be deleted. They may be biased and not based on science. As for the "we will have a vaccine this year" announcement by the US president yesterday, the following would be a more natural reference, in tune with most experts in vaccine and immunology these days:

Trump sets goal of hundreds of millions of coronavirus vaccine doses by January, but scientists doubt it (Washington Post May 16, 2020)

President Trump formally unveiled an initiative Friday afternoon aimed at making hundreds of millions of doses of a coronavirus vaccine broadly available by year’s end — a goal that many scientists say is unrealistic and could even backfire by shortchanging safety and undermining faith in vaccines more broadly.

Yet the article I posted was from a science website that gave the facts and was critical at the same time - no political affiliation. Also, the scientist leading the operation is highly respected and has many credentials.
Of course it's probably an unrealistic goal (as the article stated several times), but at the same time there's some positive aspects to the project given the amount of time, money, and effort that will be dedicated to the discovery of a vaccine. Seems to me that something of that importance and scientific value would be "safe" territory and up for discussion, unless you completely discount and are against everything the current administration does whether positive or negative, and only want to see articles that are purely critical of the project.

But it's your site, and so be it.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 16, 2020 19:24

The two articles below seem to confirm that the more Covid-19 continues, the more questions there are to be answered.

'Weird as hell’: the Covid-19 patients who have symptoms for months:

[www.theguardian.com]

French boy dies of coronavirus-linked Kawasaki disease:

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 16, 2020 19:46

SomeTorontoGirl
stickyfingers101
humans = the worst

Yeah...just hearing that the sale of condoms is way up...and sale of fresh cut flowers is down 47%. Really? If you can get to the damn drug store... grinning smiley

I gave someone some flowers from my yard this week. They were well received. Looking like something good may come out of all this. Fingers crossed. smiling smiley

Date: May 16, 2020 19:58

Hairball
bv

Yet the article I posted was from a science website that gave the facts and was critical at the same time - no political affiliation. Also, the scientist leading the operation is highly respected and has many credentials.
Of course it's probably an unrealistic goal (as the article stated several times), but at the same time there's some positive aspects to the project given the amount of time, money, and effort that will be dedicated to the discovery of a vaccine. Seems to me that something of that importance and scientific value would be "safe" territory and up for discussion, unless you completely discount and are against everything the current administration does whether positive or negative, and only want to see articles that are purely critical of the project.

But it's your site, and so be it.

I checked that "science site". It wasn't really The Lancet... As far as I understand, it was a transcript of a press conference from the White House, where President Donald Trump said there would be hundreds of millions of vaccines available this year. Surely most people in the would will understand this is in fact a statement from the White House, and not some editorial work from that "science magazine".

IORR will NEVER be an echo chamber for politics or politicians. I don't care if it is the president of Russia, China, USA, or the Prime Minister of UK, France, or any other political leader in the world. If these people do hold a press conference, then they have 90% for sure a political message. You may NOT post a transcript of that message here, because it will be a clear political message. You will of course find sites willing to quote that press conference, but it is still the same press conference. Serious publications does not echo political campaigns. In fact I know for a fact that many US networks do not broadcast such campaigns at all.

I have been called a communist and a nazi and a dictator and a marxist and many many other names you would never use on a friend, not even on your enemy. I don't care what people call me, but when both red and blue individuals in USA call me by names that is fine by me. Then I know I am not that biased.

Bjornulf

Date: May 16, 2020 20:12

Yes there were direct quotes from the press conference, and there were also critical comments of the press conference itself in the article. In other words, it was far from being a transcript or a direct statement from the White House. What's interesting though is that the article from the Washington Post you posted has an actual video clip of the press conference - almost an entire two minutes of it.

Anyhow, I'm not here to argue with you, and for the record I have never called you any names.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 16, 2020 20:30

I find it better to express my thoughts by my own pen. Preferably in a couple of lines. For readability. Throwing long transcripts and newspaper articles around only messes things up.
Who's going to read all that? And do we not all have our own newspapers to read? If you want to refer to something just add a link. Even if very few will click on that link.
Just a thought. Like it, or not...

Date: May 16, 2020 20:40

Depending on the topic, I read all of the links and articles from start to finish, or in some cases at least skim over them.
And while most of of us do have our own newspapers to read, I don't think we all have every single newspaper to read - I know I don't.
Each one has a different perspective depending on a variety of criteria (location, etc.), so I find it interesting and try to take in as much as possible.
To each his own though, and if you don't like something then simply skip over it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-16 20:42 by Hairball.

Date: May 16, 2020 20:42

Hairball
daspyknows

Pretty sure all of those have been taken care of, while the snail mail checks will obviously take longer considering the massive numbers being dealt with.

I never get refunds and don't need the government having access to my accounts. My son got his check last week.

Date: May 16, 2020 20:47

daspyknows
Hairball
daspyknows

I never get refunds and don't need the government having access to my accounts. My son got his check last week.

Then not sure what you're original point was - "still waiting for my $1200".
Unless you were just quoting what others have said while waiting for their checks....

Date: May 16, 2020 20:53

My issue with "Project Warp speed" is this is not run by a private company with only a profitability agenda at play or a consortium of pharma companies and/or other governments or WHO. A government (any government) that is pushing a vaccine for a political agenda is more likely to compromise safety.

If 50 million people have had the vaccine and there are no issues then I am all in as I am not an anti-vaxer, but not going out of the thin ice with this one.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 16, 2020 21:11

political post erased, sorry.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-16 21:13 by angee.

Date: May 16, 2020 21:13

Hairball
daspyknows
Hairball
daspyknows

Then not sure what you're original point was - "still waiting for my $1200".
Unless you were just quoting what others have said while waiting for their checks....

You have never heard the 3 greatest lies joke? Take a look. Some NSW, and that is the reference to the third. Trying to be funny but guess it didn't fly.

[groups.google.com]

Date: May 16, 2020 21:21

Please do not expect me to explain why a post is being deleted, every time I delete a post. Please do not take it personally. I simply don't have time to go into endless discussions on why and what and so on. Usually, there is a good reason. Or may be I deleted it by mistake, even if I am quite accurate.

Right now there are 4,607 posts here. I have read every single one of these posts, word by word. Also, I have read all those posts I deleted. I look for hidden political messages, names of politicians I am not aware of, and I have to check every link, where it goes, what kind of site that is, where they are, who is behind it and so on. I can't spend an hour reading long posts, so if the post is complicated, and it is a quote from an unknown source, or a politician, or something which I don't see where it is coming from, or going to, then It may be deleted.

If the link is to well known sites like New York Times, CNN, Washington Post, LA Times, BBC and so on, I don't need to check out who they are, I still read what it is. It takes time. May be there have been 6,000 posts here. It it takes just two minutes on average to read, understand and verify, per post, that would be 12,000 minutes i.e. 200 hours i.e. 8 days 24/7 to read these posts. So no wonder some times I am fast when reading, I do have a life outside IORR too.

If you post a campaign i.e. a combination of a number of links where your president or prime minister looks good or bad, then I might delete that post, if it is obvious that the post is made for the purpose of making that person looking good or bad. That is called a biased post. A campaign.

If you quote your own post many times, I will delete it. If you quote a post which has been quoted more than 5-6 times then it means you are very stubborn and you just want to have the final saying. Then I will delete that one and may be half a dozen other posts in an endless quote nesting.

Normally I delete may be one post per week, because when the post is not about politics, most people post with respect. The Corona virus case used to be 90% science and 10% politics in February, when I started this thread, by March and April there has been a shift. Politics are infiltrating the science. Now in May there is more politics than science. So just forget the politics. I will just delete it.

There will not be a vaccine this year. Elvis is dead. And Paul McCartney is alive. And the earth is not flat. Every single virolog and immunolog and vaccine expert will say it may best case take 12-18 months, may be 2-3 years, may be 10 years, may be there will never be a vaccine. So let us reference what science is saying. Not the science guy who are paid by the president, even if he is a nice guy, but those who will not be fired unless they smile and say there will be a vaccine for everyone before Xmas.

The Corona Virus SARS-COV-2, which result in the disease COVID-19, is a brand new virus. Nobody knows anything about the virus, except for what we have learned during March-May, i.e. less than half a year. We learn new stuff every day. We learn that the world was not prepared. We learn that there is a bad effect on children called Kawasaki disease, really bad. We learn that it is not smart to inject bleach. We learn that the malaria drug hydroxychloroquine may increase the fatality rate. We learn that the Ebola drug Remdesivir may have some positive effect, but this is still too early to know. WHO are coordinating worldwide scientific tests which will tell if any of the known drugs may work as antivirals, may be to reduce the fatality rate, but it is still too early to know, may be later in the summer, in 4-6 weeks time we will know more.

Feel free to post about how life is with lockdown, good or bad, about life, about the disease, about corona, about what you do these days, to protect yourself, or others, what is scaring you, what you are happy with, what makes you happy, what you do not like, there is so much to tell, and as long as you tell it with respect, there is no problem.

Just do not post politics.

And a final recommendation: Do not quote unless you know the post you quote is not offending or political. Make your own post, then you may not be deleted simply because that post you quoted was offending or political.

If everyone do follow these basic rules, then may be this thread may be still open for a while.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-16 22:24 by bv.

Date: May 16, 2020 21:37

IORR is not the only site with a policy of monitoring and moderating posts from the forum members. For the first time in social media history, Facebook, Twitter, Google and other social media channels are now working hard on making sure that their stream of information is to be trusted, deleting a lot more posts than they did delete in the past.

Keeping People Safe and Informed About the Coronavirus (Facebook)

Facebook, Reddit, Google, LinkedIn, Microsoft, Twitter and YouTube issue joint statement on misinformation (Techcrunch)

In an unprecedented move to reassure customers and flag the potential for misinformation about COVID-19 on their platforms, all of the major social media companies and their parent corporations issued a joint statement on their efforts.

“We invite other companies to join us as we work to keep our communities healthy and safe,” the statement read.

Last week, U.S Chief Technology Officer Michael Michael Kratsios held a remote meeting with representatives from major tech companies on how to coordinate various efforts related to COVID-19, including fighting disinformation. The Washington Post and Politico reported that the White House asked Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, IBM, Cisco and Twitter for help.

The World Health Organization’s director-general said last month that disinformation is as dangerous as COVID-19. During an address at the Munich Security conference on Feb. 15, almost a month before the WHO officially declared COVID-19 a pandemic, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said “We’re not just fighting an epidemic; we’re fighting an infodemic. Fake news spreads faster and more easily than this virus, and is just as dangerous.”

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-16 21:38 by bv.

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: May 16, 2020 22:41

Thanks for all you do Bjornulf. I think we sometimes forget how much responsibility you bear, managing this site.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 16, 2020 22:43

makemeburnthecandle
Hairball
"Operation Warp Speed"

haha....Spaceballs....great movie

[i.pinimg.com]

Date: May 17, 2020 00:07

bleedingman
Hairball

Evidently it's OK to post a link about a "Trump Death Clock" here that tallies up coronavirus deaths in the US due to the Presidents inaction at the beginning of the crisis.
Not that I minded seeing that as I thought it was a clever "artistic" statement, but no doubt it's a political statement bashing the current administration no matter how you look at it.
Oh well, looks like that's the way it is. A bit one sided imo, but life goes on and no reason to say goodbye, so stick around as there might be some Stones news that will interest you....maybe another single.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-17 00:11 by Hairball.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 17, 2020 00:31

Hairball - I wouldn't worry about posts made - Take a day off - and not worry!!!
We all have different views at any given moment - this pandemic is making all act out of character! smileys with beer Stay Safe !!!!

Date: May 17, 2020 00:40

Yep no worries Chris - life is good while staying safe and sane.thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 17, 2020 00:52

bv
bleedingman
Hairball

What is the agenda here?

Of course there is no agenda. It is like having a scientific conference in astronomy. Surely there always be some geniuses demanding a bunch of astrologists to speak there just to have 'balance'.

I see some people here trying to reduce this thread to be nothing but American politics, but I admire your attempt to keep this thread science-based.

- Doxa

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 17, 2020 01:04

I'm just glad the bullshit issue was cleared up!!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: May 17, 2020 01:18

Make it easy for yourself BV and consider closing the thread.
Plenty of factual information on the web re Coronavirus for those who are interested.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...149150151152153154155156157158159...LastNext
Current Page: 154 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home