Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...145146147148149150151152153154155...LastNext
Current Page: 150 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 13, 2020 16:56

stickyfingers101
Bellajane
I just don't get this defiance. An employee at Target arm was broken because he tried to enforce the mask policy. What is the big deal about wearing a mask? Not to mention the unnecessary violence, this behavior almost seems sociopathic. Just don't care. I mean I hate wearing masks. It's difficult to breathe...always feel sluggish...and it certainly isn't a fashion statement although there are some cute homemade masks out there. I still see people walking down the aisles in the market the wrong way. I don't know if they're being defiant or just not paying attention.

Wearing masks, washing your hands, using sanitizer, and keeping your distance really isn't too much to ask to ensure your health and well-being and everyone else for that matter. I'm deathly afraid of this second wave that they're predicting. I don't know if our healthcare system can handle it.

it's dumbfounding, isn't it?

the "experts" dropped the ball big-time by not coming out fast-and-strong w/ a "Wear Ya Masks" UNIFIED chorus from DAY ONE.

instead they turned it into a debate/argument...and now want to back-track. That rarely works.

States should've had "mandatory masks" from the beginning....and cops should be out patrolling and handing out fines (or arresting defiant dinkbags).

ps...I think the grocery store thing is mostly not paying attention.

pps..but, being an American, I feel I can say this: Americans are not really the best rule-followers and/or most disciplined people on the face of the Earth. It's just who we are, for better or worse.

It's such a small thing...to wear a mask. It says a lot about those who won't because they simply don't want to. They say that doing so takes away their freedom...BRATS. It's so incredibly selfish and self-indulgent. Btw, I am an American.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 13, 2020 17:12

Snowflake or safety first? How face masks were drawn into Trump’s culture wars

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 13, 2020 17:15

'Finally, a virus got me': Ebola expert on nearly dying of coronavirus
Peter Piot tells of his brush with death and predicts people will suffer effects of the virus for years

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 13, 2020 17:21

I don't get this fixation with masks. Masks are often false security. The Corona virus is not airborne. Most of them aren't good enough and most people can't handle them the right way.
In fact they could be counterproductive. They are essential in the health sector though. They need to be of medical standard (FFP3 or N95). And they need to be handled professionally.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 13, 2020 17:25

Stoneage
I don't get this fixation with masks. Masks are often false security.

True that. We don't wear masks in Norway. Yet the infected and the death rates are incredibly low. But IF you are infected, you should were mask. It does not stop you from being infected though. Can't see why the americans are so focused on the "masks". Common sense is the way to go.

Date: May 13, 2020 17:27

Stoneage
I don't get this fixation with masks. Masks are often false security. The Corona virus is not airborne. Most of them aren't good enough and most people can't handle them the right way.
In fact they could be counterproductive. They are essential in the health sector though. They need to be of medical standard (FFP3 or N95). And they need to be handled professionally.

They are essential for people who feel under the weather, or think they might have catched the virus (if they have to go out) + the health care workers. That's what health authorities here are telling us anyway.

However, I respect that there are different views in different countries, obviously.

Date: May 13, 2020 17:40

Okay, Dandy. Fair enough. But if you feel ill you should be in quarantine. When it comes to professional use (health care) we have the same opinion.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 13, 2020 17:41

The mask is a sign of respect. You respect other people. This has been done for ages in Japan. They wear a mask when they have the flu. Just look at the numbers. Japan have got few cases, as compared to others.

If you live in a country or a region with very few virus cases, like Grenland, Faroe Islands, Iceland, Denmark, Norway, Greece etc, then you don't need a mask, as long as you keep a distance of 1-2 m, but in high risk areas, a mask is a sign of respect. You protect others, in case you might have the virus.

Nobody knows if they have covid-19 or not. As many as 50% have almost no symptoms. It is just selfish ignorance to walk around without a mask, if there is a public rule saying you should wear a mask.

Bjornulf

Date: May 13, 2020 17:45

Stoneage
Okay, Dandy. Fair enough. But if you feel ill you should be in quarantine. When it comes to professional use (health care) we have the same opinion.

This is allergy season. My nose is running, my chest is bad, and don't feel well. I would not know if I have a cold, covid-19 or allergy. Thousands have allergy. Should we self-quarantine or wear a mask? Remember you are not paid for staying at home in quarantine for weeks most places in the world. Quarantine = no income. I think a mask is an easy way of reducing transmission of corona virus in high risk areas.

Bjornulf

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 13, 2020 17:47

Stoneage

You might want to read this. [masks4all.co]

No one is saying this is a perfect 100% safety measure but if is 80% isn't that better than nothing? When accompanied with social distancing it might even be 95%. Doing nothing, well we see how well that is working.

Date: May 13, 2020 17:47

Okay, BV. Legality is another thing though. You should not break the law. And the frequent use of masks in Japan (and China) is also due to pollution, praxis and overpopulation.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 13, 2020 18:00

New Study Shows That This One Thing Could Cause 80% Decrease In COVID-19 Cases

A recent scientific study shows that one simple maneuver could reduce COVID-19 cases by as much as 80%. An international team of scientists has introduced new models to provide interactive representation of various options and effects - but none more powerful than this one. While the US continues to reopen businesses, what is the one thing that could further reduce the spread of the virus?

According to the latest data, history and science tell the same story: wearing a mask - combined with social distancing - stops the spread of the virus. Today, after much debate over the effectiveness against the virus, NBC News reports that all White House staffers are required to wear masks. Secret Service members who work near the President and other leaders already are.

Based on research and scientific models from UC Berkley’s International Computer Science Institute and Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, wearing masks can cut the incidence of cases by as much as 80%. “I felt like this was pretty urgent,” says lead researcher, Dr. Dekai Wu (or as he is more commonly known, just DeKai), pointing to a living example of why his scientific model shows significant promise.

[www.forbes.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 13, 2020 18:00

Well said BV . It's all about having respect for each other . That is the single most thing lacking in the United States - Respect for one and other , and then that gets turned into don't infringe on my rights to live my life as I see fit . To which I say that during a pandemic in this emergency we must conform to medical science period ! There can be no exceptions . Protect life at all costs !

Date: May 13, 2020 18:12

TheGreek
Well said BV . It's all about having respect for each other . That is the single most thing lacking in the United States - Respect for one and other , and then that gets turned into don't infringe on my rights to live my life as I see fit . To which I say that during a pandemic in this emergency we must conform to medical science period ! There can be no exceptions . Protect life at all costs !

Definitely agree, respect for others by doing the basic guidelines are key.

Infuriating to see people in public places, especially in higher risk areas, not wear a mask.
I was an early proponent and wearer of masks, despite the failure of many health experts and others advise.

Had to go to a grocery store and three different medical facilities yesterday.
All four places I saw people not wearing masks.
We rightfully praise our healthcare workers and grocery staff for their efforts in keeping us all going, and then some show the biggest disrespect by not wearing a mask. We are in and out of these places as quickly and safely as possible, while they have to come in contact with dozens of us in a shift.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 13, 2020 18:46

masks are the same thing as covering your cough or sneeze....only better and far more efficient.

it's very simple & very elementary....if the virus is transmitted via "droplets" ...anything blocking those droplets HELPS slow/prevent the spread.

if that's a not good enough reason, do it out of respect....

in Asia people take their shoes off at the door...would you NOT do so and disrespect their beliefs/customs solely b/c you don't think taking shoes off does anything to prevent the spread of dirt/germs?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 13, 2020 19:09

California's main universities not likely to return to campus this fall

By Theresa Waldrop, Jon Passantino and Sarah Moon, CNN

Updated 11:29 AM ET, Wed May 13, 2020
Cal State universities cancel most in-person fall classes

University

(CNN)Most of the more than 770,000 students at California's two main university systems aren't likely to return to campus this fall.
The California State University system, which claims to be the nation's biggest four-year university system, plans to cancel nearly all in-person classes through the fall semester to reduce spread of the coronavirus, Chancellor Timothy White said Tuesday at a board of trustees meeting. At the University of California, which has 10 campuses across the state, "it's likely none of our campuses will fully re-open in fall," Stett Holbrook, a spokesperson for UC, told CNN in an email.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, a key member of the White House's coronavirus task force, told Congress on Tuesday that it is a "bridge too far" for schools to expect a vaccine or widely available treatment for Covid-19 by fall reopening time. "First and foremost is the health, safety and welfare of our students, faculty and staff, and the evolving data surrounding the progression of Covid-19 -- current and as forecast throughout the 2020-21 academic year," White said in making his announcement. Potential exceptions at CSU may include nursing students who need clinical training to be on track to get licensed to work in health care, White said, or students who need access to equipment for their training. Students who need to continue research in labs will also continue forward under rigorous safety standards. White said students may need to work in shifts, wearing personal protective gear.
Rigorous health and safety requirements will be in place, such as sanitizing and spreading students out. Instead of 15 students per class, it may be five students, he suggested.

Some of CSU's 23 campuses may continue to offer remote learning only.
"On some campuses and in some academic disciplines course offerings are likely to be exclusively virtual," White said. University of California "will be exploring a mixed approach with some material delivered in classroom and labs settings while other classes will continue to be online," Holbrook said. California was the first state to issue a statewide stay-at-home order, effective March 19. Like many other schools, colleges and universities across the nation, UC and CSU began suspending in-class learning in March.

Some universities will resume classes
Around the country, most other colleges and universities are still trying to figure out what instruction will look like in the fall, with some saying a decision will be made later. Universities in at least six states have said they expect to hold classes on campuses in the fall: the University of Alabama; the University of North Carolina System; Texas Tech University; the University of Tennessee; the nine-campus University of Louisiana system; and Morgan State University in Maryland The North Dakota State Board of Higher Education last month voted unanimously in favor of a motion supporting the return of students to campuses in the fall. vHarvard said last month it will be open for the fall semester, but some or all instruction may continue to be online.

Schools from grades K-12 are closed in 48 states for the remainder of the academic school year, which ends in the next few weeks for many.
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti told CNN's Anderson Cooper on Tuesday that he supports CSU's decision to cancel nearly all in-person classes for the fall semester. "I absolutely think it'll be a different school than we're used to, whether that's fewer days a week, whether it's half the class coming in, whether it's new spaces or places where we educate," said Mayor Garcetti. Garcetti said K-12 schools in Los Angeles should prepare to resume with online classes, but "it would be a pity if we have all of our children only online throughout the rest of this calendar year." vGarcetti suggested finding safe ways for kids to be at school as long as the numbers are stable. "We should figure out safe ways for kids to be there, at least some of the week, face to face with teachers, with their peers," he said.

Date: May 13, 2020 19:13

Beast

[www.theguardian.com]

The other 1% are joggers who seem to think that, if they run fast enough, the virus won’t catch up with them

this is infuriating. I live next to the Bike Path and I see the same thing w/ bikers and joggers...

when HEAVY BREATHING (and spitting, hacking, clearing throat) all are MORE likely to transmit "droplets" into the air.

[www.nbcsandiego.com]

I get it...I'm a jogger...running w/ a mask/face cover SUCKS....but, TOO F'N BAD....

ugh.

I've taken to running at 4:30am so I don't see anybody...and I still wear a "Buff" face-covering...out of respect.

Trump not wearing one is so lame....but, I see the same thing from EVERY "out on the beat" reporter on my local news....there they are, out in the street, yacking away the news....w/ NO mask on....

same w/ my Governor and Mayor...they have one on walking around, but take it off to talk into the f'n microphone....

so, the message is that "if it interferes w/ talking (which it doesn't really) then it is OK to take it off????".....ugh....

what a surprise that some lady in the supermarket pulled her mask down to answer her f'n cell phone the other day....

$50 says 100% of people respect the "Mask Ordinance" at the gun shops, though.

what a world.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 13, 2020 19:14

Since I have a compromised immune system, I've been wearing a mask since this all started. & before when I have to do chemo. It's not a guarantee but it can't hurt if used properly. BV has a good point about allergies too. During bad allergy season, I have to cough occasionally due to runoff from my sinuses. It's just common decency for me to wear one during these circumstances.

Date: May 13, 2020 19:20

stickyfingers101
Beast

[www.theguardian.com]

The other 1% are joggers who seem to think that, if they run fast enough, the virus won’t catch up with them

this is infuriating. I live next to the Bike Path and I see the same thing w/ bikers and joggers...

when HEAVY BREATHING (and spitting, hacking, clearing throat) all are MORE likely to transmit "droplets" into the air.

[www.nbcsandiego.com]

I get it...I'm a jogger...running w/ a mask/face cover SUCKS....but, TOO F'N BAD....

ugh.

I've taken to running at 4:30am so I don't see anybody...and I still wear a "Buff" face-covering...out of respect.

Trump not wearing one is so lame....but, I see the same thing from EVERY "out on the beat" reporter on my local news....there they are, out in the street, yacking away the news....w/ NO mask on....

same w/ my Governor and Mayor...they have one on walking around, but take it off to talk into the f'n microphone....

so, the message is that "if it interferes w/ talking (which it doesn't really) then it is OK to take it off????".....ugh....

what a surprise that some lady in the supermarket pulled her mask down to answer her f'n cell phone the other day....

what a world.

What state are you in? Fortunately in California most wearing masks. Only place I have seen an issue is at Walmart. I have hear from some in red states who have been harassed for wearing masks.

I have a discussion with my business partner and he equated not wearing a mask to wearing a red MAGA hat. Only in America would something this stupid be happening.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 13, 2020 19:22

The mask issue has some tricky angles to it. Some have legitimate reasons not to wear one. The deaf and hard of hearing who rely on facial cues or lip reading are one group that can’t. Here in the U.S., certain demographics in the population already feel stigmatized due to racial prejudice. This is particularly acute for black males here. Many have expressed a concern that wearing a mask will make them even more targeted for unwarranted profiling and harassment.

As a retail vintage music and movie media store owner in Seattle, I am trying to anticipate how the mask issue will play out once we are given the green light to reopen. Our city has said that mask wearing in public is strongly recommended but not mandatory. Businesses are allowed to have their own mandatory mask policy as long as they don’t discriminate in any other way. It seems it will be difficult and potentially contentious to demand people wear a mask. We will have signage reminding people to maintain physical distance, to not enter if feeling ill, and encouraging them to wear a mask for their own and others well-being. I will be wearing a mask any time I have to be around others. I will have to see how this works, and may remain closed if the risks and headaches outweigh the benefits.

While we have been closed, I have continued working in the shop almost daily, as I have ventured into online selling for the first time in 15 years here. I spend a good portion of my day listing more items for sale, answering queries about things I’m selling, packaging orders and taking them to the post office to ship, all the while continuing to play-test records and process new inventory. Fortunately I have bought a lot of records through the years and have enough of a stash to keep me going for a few years even if I cannot continue buying them.

I am in a basement location with one stairway leading down to the shop. The heat has not been turned off yet in the building, and even with no heat directly turned on in my space (I never turn it on), we get a lot of ambient heat from three pipes that run through our space carrying the radiator heat to the rest of the building. I keep the front door open with fans running to regulate the temperature.

During this shutdown, unless I’m expecting a UPS delivery, I keep the gate at the top of the stairway locked, and the sign always is turned to say “Closed”. I still have had people wander in. Most were when the gate was unlocked for deliveries. Although the gate was shut and the closed sign was up, these folks just felt they had to investigate. None of them were wearing a mask. I wear a mask whenever I go out, but not when I am working alone. It is alarming enough to have unannounced visitors enter the store, but even more so when they are completely indifferent to the health risk their entrance is exposing me to. You would think they would at least give a phonecall to see if we were open, but they are too thoughtless for this. When they come in they try to walk up close to me, and I have had to demonstrably tell them to stay six feet away.

Yesterday was worse. I had no deliveries scheduled, so the gate was locked. I was shocked when some guy walked into my store around 5:30 p.m., again unmasked. He had to crawl over or through the gate to come down to the store, past the closed sign. I told him we were closed and wanted no one in the store. He wouldn’t immediately leave, saying “I just really need some music, can you help me out?” I told him no, I couldn’t until we reopen and asked him to leave, which he finally did. It was awkward and a little unnerving. I reiterated my request to my landlord to turn off the building’s heat.

This is the reality I am facing. There are countless other thoughtless, careless, and in some cases nefarious people to deal with. It’s a headache under the best of circumstances, but a full-on migraine under the current conditions. I do not want to put my employees, my customers or myself at risk to deal with a bunch of knuckleheads. So I will monitor the situation once we are green lighted to open and try to make prudent decisions about how to proceed. If necessary, I will remain closed to the public and just sell online, but if it comes to that, I will have to consider relocating.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 13, 2020 19:23

Up to now, I have only been going out once a week for essentials, and so have most other people. Not many people wore masks (they were hard to get anyway) but shops were well organised with not too many people inside.

Today, the lockdown in the UK is a tiny bit easier and a few more people are back at work. This afternoon in the high street the careful queues outside the shops are gone: there are masks for sale at the supermarket counter and the people wearing them seem to think the mask means they don't have to worry about distancing any more. So I have finally given in and bought some, to wear in places like shops where I don't feel so safe any more. In any case, the pollen season is here, and though I don't have full scale hay fever I do sneeze more than usual.

Date: May 13, 2020 19:27

daspyknows
stickyfingers101
Beast

[www.theguardian.com]

[www.nbcsandiego.com]

ugh.

what a world.

What state are you in? Fortunately in California most wearing masks. Only place I have seen an issue is at Walmart. I have hear from some in red states who have been harassed for wearing masks.

I have a discussion with my business partner and he equated not wearing a mask to wearing a red MAGA hat. Only in America would something this stupid be happening.

hahaha!

I'm in MASSACHUSETTS!! The Bluest of the Blue States!!!

AHHHHHH!!!!

[www.core77.com]

(most of the issue I see is outdoors....I went to Target the other day and everybody had a mask and they had a security guard enforcing it at the door...he turned back one dip who tried to enter w/o one)

but on my way home, I saw a cop drive by 4 people walking down the sidewalk w/o masks on...didn't stop. Why bother enforcing the law? Protect and serve + easy money. Nah.

Date: May 13, 2020 19:43

Javadave
The mask issue has some tricky angles to it. Some have legitimate reasons not to wear one. The deaf and hard of hearing who rely on facial cues or lip reading are one group that can’t. Here in the U.S., certain demographics in the population already feel stigmatized due to racial prejudice. This is particularly acute for black males here. Many have expressed a concern that wearing a mask will make them even more targeted for unwarranted profiling and harassment.

As a retail vintage music and movie media store owner in Seattle, I am trying to anticipate how the mask issue will play out once we are given the green light to reopen. Our city has said that mask wearing in public is strongly recommended but not mandatory. Businesses are allowed to have their own mandatory mask policy as long as they don’t discriminate in any other way. It seems it will be difficult and potentially contentious to demand people wear a mask. We will have signage reminding people to maintain physical distance, to not enter if feeling ill, and encouraging them to wear a mask for their own and others well-being. I will be wearing a mask any time I have to be around others. I will have to see how this works, and may remain closed if the risks and headaches outweigh the benefits.

Look forward to visiting your store again in the future and hope when you reopen things go smoothly and successfully.

If it were me I would have a strict, no mask-no service policy and have some inexpensive ones at the ready for those that don't have one.
Understand the dilemma facing people of color, and empathize, but also believe that putting one on to walk into a business that requires it with everyone having one on takes most if not all of the potential for issues away.

As for deaf and hard of hearing people, isn't it they that need everyone else to not be wearing masks in able to read their lips more the issue? Again I empathize with them, and have seen some businesses using face shields in part to help with that issue. The store I was at yesterday, a deaf person was stocking the shelves, wearing a mask but also had a sticker on them that read 'I am deaf". Tough times for hard of hearing and deaf people for certain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-13 19:48 by MisterDDDD.

Date: May 13, 2020 20:01

Javadave

While we have been closed, I have continued working in the shop almost daily, as I have ventured into online selling for the first time in 15 years here. I spend a good portion of my day listing more items for sale, answering queries about things I’m selling, packaging orders and taking them to the post office to ship, all the while continuing to play-test records and process new inventory. Fortunately I have bought a lot of records through the years and have enough of a stash to keep me going for a few years even if I cannot continue buying them.

I am in a basement location with one stairway leading down to the shop. The heat has not been turned off yet in the building, and even with no heat directly turned on in my space (I never turn it on), we get a lot of ambient heat from three pipes that run through our space carrying the radiator heat to the rest of the building. I keep the front door open with fans running to regulate the temperature.

During this shutdown, unless I’m expecting a UPS delivery, I keep the gate at the top of the stairway locked, and the sign always is turned to say “Closed”. I still have had people wander in. Most were when the gate was unlocked for deliveries. Although the gate was shut and the closed sign was up, these folks just felt they had to investigate. None of them were wearing a mask. I wear a mask whenever I go out, but not when I am working alone. It is alarming enough to have unannounced visitors enter the store, but even more so when they are completely indifferent to the health risk their entrance is exposing me to. You would think they would at least give a phonecall to see if we were open, but they are too thoughtless for this. When they come in they try to walk up close to me, and I have had to demonstrably tell them to stay six feet away.

Yesterday was worse. I had no deliveries scheduled, so the gate was locked. I was shocked when some guy walked into my store around 5:30 p.m., again unmasked. He had to crawl over or through the gate to come down to the store, past the closed sign. I told him we were closed and wanted no one in the store. He wouldn’t immediately leave, saying “I just really need some music, can you help me out?” I told him no, I couldn’t until we reopen and asked him to leave, which he finally did. It was awkward and a little unnerving. I reiterated my request to my landlord to turn off the building’s heat.

This is the reality I am facing. There are countless other thoughtless, careless, and in some cases nefarious people to deal with. It’s a headache under the best of circumstances, but a full-on migraine under the current conditions. I do not want to put my employees, my customers or myself at risk to deal with a bunch of knuckleheads. So I will monitor the situation once we are green lighted to open and try to make prudent decisions about how to proceed. If necessary, I will remain closed to the public and just sell online, but if it comes to that, I will have to consider relocating.

Do you do any online sales. I am looking something rare of The Clash

Date: May 13, 2020 20:13

jumpontopofmebaby
daspyknows
stickyfingers101
Beast

[www.theguardian.com]

[www.nbcsandiego.com]

ugh.

what a world.

I got a MAGA hat!

Not surprised.

Date: May 13, 2020 20:16

stickyfingers101
I don't think the mask-issue is just among Trumpers...

but if it is....here ya go!

[www.trump2020masks.com]

Wear the F'n thing w/ MAGA Pride...I couldn't care less....just wear it!!

Vote for Whoevah Ya Want!

Just Wear Ya Mask! Wash Ya Hands!

I like the one I have on order but it would offend the MAGA crowd. I found a site where I could design my own. These days one's mask is a fashion statement.

Date: May 13, 2020 20:19

MisterDDDD

If it were me I would have a strict, no mask-no service policy and have some inexpensive ones at the ready for those that don't have one.

This is a great idea. There are companies that are doing custom designs. Sell a mask that advertises your business and online profile.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 13, 2020 20:29

Yes you can't say anything is racist dinclinations
uring these times People of all races are dying

Date: May 13, 2020 20:30

Stoneage
Okay, BV. Legality is another thing though. You should not break the law. And the frequent use of masks in Japan (and China) is also due to pollution, praxis and overpopulation.

Pollution in Japan? I guess you have never been in Tokyo. People in Japan wear masks when they are sick. That is the reason. And why do you talk about overpopulation? In 2014, Japan's population was estimated at 127 million; this figure is expected to shrink to 107 million (16%) by 2040 and to 97 million (24%).

Please do not sidetrack what I stated. I never talked about China. Japan use masks in order to take care of other people. In USA the virus is now out of control. They have a "wear mask" order, just like other countries. Just like many airliners now order, including SAS. Wearing a mask is smart, cheap and absolutely no problem. May be the US President does not want to be seen with a mask yet, but the Secretary of State Mike Pompeo now wear it. It isn't that complicated. Follow the leaders.

Follow the data, as defined by the virus:

If 80% of Americans Wore Masks, COVID-19 Infections Would Plummet, New Study Says (Vanity Fair MAY 8, 2020)

If you’re wondering whether to wear or not to wear, consider this. The day before yesterday, 21 people died of COVID-19 in Japan. In the United States, 2,129 died. Comparing overall death rates for the two countries offers an even starker point of comparison with total U.S. deaths now at a staggering 76,032 and Japan’s fatalities at 577. Japan’s population is about 38% of the U.S., but even adjusting for population, the Japanese death rate is a mere 2% of America’s.

This comes despite Japan having no lockdown, still-active subways, and many businesses that have remained open—reportedly including karaoke bars, although Japanese citizens and industries are practicing social distancing where they can. Nor have the Japanese broadly embraced contact tracing, a practice by which health authorities identify someone who has been infected and then attempt to identify everyone that person might have interacted with—and potentially infected. So how does Japan do it?

“One reason is that nearly everyone there is wearing a mask,” said De Kai, an American computer scientist with joint appointments at UC Berkeley’s International Computer Science Institute and at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. He is also the chief architect of an in-depth study, set to be released in the coming days, that suggests that every one of us should be wearing a mask—whether surgical or homemade, scarf or bandana—like they do in Japan and other countries, mostly in East Asia. This formula applies to President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence (occasional mask refuseniks) as well as every other official who routinely interacts with people in public settings. Among the findings of their research paper, which the team plans to submit to a major journal: If 80% of a closed population were to don a mask, COVID-19 infection rates would statistically drop to approximately one twelfth the number of infections—compared to a live-virus population in which no one wore masks.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo landed in Israel Wednesday for a quick, eight-hour visit amid the coronavirus pandemic, disembarking from his plane wearing a red, white and blue face mask

Bjornulf

Date: May 13, 2020 20:32

Amazfit maker is developing a self-cleaning, transparent coronavirus mask
Huami's Amazfit Aeri concept can disinfect itself and would allow wearers to unlock their phones with Face ID

Many cities already require their residents to wear masks in public and major airlines have announced they will soon make them mandatory on flights. Face masks have become an important part of our new normal. So far, shortages of N95 and surgical masks, both reserved for health care workers, have meant people are relying on cloth masks.

But while these types of mask do help contain the virus, they have significant shortcomings. They don't filter out small air particles, they have to be washed properly on a regular basis and they're not well ventilated. They also make it impossible to unlock your phone with facial recognition.

Huami hopes to solve most of these problems with the Amazfit Aeri mask. It comes with removable air filters and will have built-in ultraviolet light emitters. By plugging the mask into a USB-C plug for a few minutes, it can disinfect itself after every use. This would allow each filter to be effective for one and a half months, according to a Huami spokesperson. That's much longer than the current eight hours N95 masks are good for.
[www.cnet.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...145146147148149150151152153154155...LastNext
Current Page: 150 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home