Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...144145146147148149150151152153154...LastNext
Current Page: 149 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 13, 2020 03:19

Los Angeles County

California inmates tried to infect themselves with coronavirus in hopes of release, sheriff says

May 11, 2020, 10:37 PM PDT / Updated May 12, 2020, 3:33 AM PDT
By Phil Helsel

JAIL

A group of Los Angeles County inmates deliberately tried to infect themselves with the coronavirus in a mistaken belief they would be released if they were sick, the sheriff said Monday. Video released Monday by Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva appeared to show inmates at North County Correctional Facility in Castaic drinking from the same bottle of hot water and taking turns breathing through the same mask. Villanueva called the behavior disturbing. "As a direct result of the behavior seen in the video, 21 men tested positive for COVID-19 within a week," he said in a statement.

The sheriff said a spike in cases in mid-April prompted officials to review the surveillance video. "Somehow there was some mistaken belief among the inmate population that if they tested positive that there was a way to force our hand and somehow release more inmates out of our jail environment — and that's not going to happen," Villanueva said. All 21 people who tested positive were from the same module where the video was taken, Villanueva said. In all, the module had about 50 inmates. Officials believe the inmates were using the hot water to raise their temperatures — fever is a symptom of the disease, Villanueva said. All inmates have access to their own cup and the hot water dispenser, and there is no reason for them to share, he said. None of the inmates admitted to trying to infect themselves or raise their temperature, Villanueva said. Villanueva said the behavior imperiled the safety of other inmates as well as staff.

In March, the sheriff announced that some inmates had been released early and that police departments had been asked to cite rather than arrest some offenders as ways to keep jail populations low.
The process, which began in February, resulted in a reduction of about 5,000 inmates, from more than 17,000 to around 11,700, Villanueva said Monday. "Had this pandemic swept through while we were sitting on 17,000 inmates, the results would have been catastrophic," Villanueva said. As of Monday 4,590 inmates have been quarantined within the Los Angeles County jail system, 317 of whom were isolated, the sheriff's department says. There have been 357 inmates who have tested positive for COVID-19, but 117 have since been classified as fully recovered, according to the department. Inmates have to have two negative tests before being allowed to return to general population, Villanueva said. Villanueva said that the department is doing everything within its power to prevent the spread of the virus in the jail system, including now testing all inmates entering the system.

Full statement from Villanueva > L.A. Sheriff and video:

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 13, 2020 03:32

THE AGE --- 13 May 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 13, 2020 06:27

This is a very good article. The first part included below. Certain covidiots will dispute it but for all of those who understand the risk might learn something.

[www.erinbromage.com]

The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them

Please read this link to learn about the author and background to these posts.

It seems many people are breathing some relief, and I’m not sure why. An epidemic curve has a relatively predictable upslope and once the peak is reached, the back slope can also be predicted. We have robust data from the outbreaks in China and Italy, that shows the backside of the mortality curve declines slowly, with deaths persisting for months. Assuming we have just crested in deaths at 70k, it is possible that we lose another 70,000 people over the next 6 weeks as we come off that peak. That's what's going to happen with a lockdown.

As states reopen, and we give the virus more fuel, all bets are off. I understand the reasons for reopening the economy, but I've said before, if you don't solve the biology, the economy won't recover.

There are very few states that have demonstrated a sustained decline in numbers of new infections. Indeed, as of May 3rd the majority are still increasing and reopening. As a simple example of the USA trend, when you take out the data from New York and just look at the rest of the USA, daily case numbers are increasing. Bottom line: the only reason the total USA new case numbers look flat right now is because the New York City epidemic was so large and now it is being contained.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 13, 2020 09:53

TheflyingDutchman
I was walking through the sunny streets of Amsterdam yesterday, and it was sad to see the empty bars, no live music, people with masks, long queues outside the supermarkets. It felt like being in North-Korea. If we get a second wave, that would imply that a lockdown doesn't help to get the virus under control, and another lock down. Finding a vaccin may take a very long time. What kind of world are we living in ? It's almost depressing by now.

Where I live, people, a lot, are acting like it's not here. Meanwhile across the lake in New Orleans, there is nobody out.

My girlfriend has MS. I have to be careful. I wear a mask, wash my hands a lot. Apparently it's become an issue, an offense, to be asked/told to wear a mask.

The United States Of Arrogance. Liberty overpowers logic.

Such an embarrassment. On top of the Orange Virus spreading fake news.

A second wave is coming. I see no reason for it not to.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 13, 2020 09:55

Erik_Snow
Chris Fountain
What made the Spanish Flu go away in 1918-1920? Do these virus cells have their own life spans?

It went away basically because of actions the way we do now with Coronavirus, close theatres, wear masks, no physical contact, etc
Also....so many millions had died after the Spanish flu, there was nobdy left!, or got immune after surving. Spanish flu killed more people than who died in WWI

About 1/3rd of the planet's population.

Wouldn't surprise me if it happens again.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 13, 2020 10:28

Many parents are going to be upset if not mad with Dr. Fauci's advice that schools should be closed through Fall- see link

[bestlifeonline.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 13, 2020 12:02

Chris Fountain
Many parents are going to be upset if not mad with Dr. Fauci's advice that schools should be closed through Fall- see link

[bestlifeonline.com]

Dr Fauchi did NOT say that. Read the transcript. I followed the entire 3.5 hours US Senat hearing yesterday. When asked if there would be a vaccine or antiviral available in three months time, by Senator Lamar Alexander, Dr Fauchi said "That would be a bit of a bridge too far". Plain and simple.

I was surprised myself. Why did Senator Lamar Alexander expect Dr Fauchi to confirm there would be a treat, like a vaccine or a fully functioning antiviral, by August, i.e. in three months time? We all know that both vaccine and antiviral works are nowhere near any solutions in many months still.

Bjornulf

Date: May 13, 2020 12:08

Conspiracy theories will be deleted, once posted here, or quoted.

Also, to those who hate something or somebody, we are not interested in your hate and name calling. Respect!

Bjornulf

Date: May 13, 2020 12:11

bv
Chris Fountain

[bestlifeonline.com]

Dr Fauchi did NOT say that. Read the transcript. I followed the entire 3.5 hours US Senat hearing yesterday. When asked if there would be a vaccine or antiviral available in three months time, by Senator Lamar Alexander, Dr Fauchi said "That would be a bit of a bridge too far". Plain and simple.

I was surprised myself. Why did Senator Lamar Alexander expect Dr Fauchi to confirm there would be a treat, like a vaccine or a fully functioning antiviral, by August, i.e. in three months time? We all know that both vaccine and antiviral works are nowhere near any solutions in many months still.

No offense, but the way the question was phrased by Senator Lamar Alexander was directly tying school openings to available vaccine -lDr. Fauci implied from a public health perspective that the vaccine would not be available So what is the conclusion of subject dialog? School closings.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-13 12:18 by Chris Fountain.

Date: May 13, 2020 12:27

Chris Fountain
bv
Chris Fountain

[bestlifeonline.com]

No offense, but the way the question was phrased by Senator Lamar Alexander was directly tying school openings to available vaccine -lDr. Fuaci implied that the vaccine would not be available So what is the conclusion of the dialog? Yes. School closings.

I think the Senator wanted some good news confirmations, by asking a double question. Open schools? Treatment? Vaccine? Listen to what Dr Fauchi is actually saying, then it is easy to see and hear that Dr Fauchi is more concerned about the fact that there is no vaccine, and no treatment, rather than what and how to open.

Dr. Fauci: ‘A Bridge Too Far’ To Expect Coronavirus Vaccine In Time For Next School Year | NBC News

Bjornulf

Date: May 13, 2020 12:39

Hong Kong (CNN) Millions of people in Wuhan will be tested for the novel coronavirus within the coming days, after a new cluster of cases emerged despite a strict 76-day lockdown that was intended to eliminate the virus from the central Chinese city.

Over the weekend, six new cases were reported in the city, the first in 35 consecutive days. None of the new cases were imported from overseas, sparking concern that the infection could still be spreading in the city where the virus is thought to have first emerged.

In response to the outbreak, authorities in Wuhan will conduct city-wide nucleic acid testing over a period of 10 days, according to an emergency notice issued by local authorities and circulated by state run media outlet The Paper.
Nucleic acid tests work by detecting the virus' genetic code, and can be more effective at detecting the infection, particularly in the early stages, than tests which examine a body's immune response, though the latter are easier to conduct.

The ambitious screening drive, described in the report as a "ten-day battle," could see up to 11 million people tested -- more than the entire population of Greece.

Wuhan to test all residents for coronavirus in 10 days after new cases emerge (CNN May 13, 2020)

Bjornulf

Date: May 13, 2020 12:44

I think the Senator wanted some good news confirmations, by asking a double question. Open schools? Treatment? Vaccine? Listen to what Dr Fauchi is actually saying, then it is easy to see and hear that Dr Fauchi is more concerned about the fact that there is no vaccine, and no treatment, rather than what and how to open.

Just Comments:

Most of my client co-workers are in their early 30s and have young children, which need public schooling or "Nannies" as their children are ages 2 - 10 - They are worried and confused about the Senate Hearing results.

It is really tough on them trying to work from home and parenting. I'm 60 and have no children but empathize with their current situation. They simply need to know about school openings, which is unknown at this point-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-13 12:48 by Chris Fountain.

Date: May 13, 2020 12:52

Chris Fountain

Just Comments:

Most of my client co-workers are in their early 30s and have young children, which need public schooling or "Nannies" as their children are ages 2 - 10 - They are worried and confused about the Senate Hearing results.

It is really tough on them trying to work from home and parenting. I'm 60 and have no children but empathize with their current situation. They simply need to know about school openings, which is unknown at this point-

Yeah, it's hard on everybody. But it's even harder to give a date for openings, before they know it's completely safe to do so, isn't it?

Date: May 13, 2020 12:58

DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain

Just Comments:

Yeah, it's hard on everybody. But it's even harder to give a date for openings, before they know it's completely safe to do so, isn't it?

OK I don't want to open a can of worms- Are they tired of parenting?

Date: May 13, 2020 13:06

Also - I have noticed that all these newscasters and reporters are really concerned about themselves - give news and sell books and talk about how great they are. Oh and the make-up so sublime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-13 13:11 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 13, 2020 13:30

All around me there are people I interact with an a daily basis who are saying the safety protocols are worse than the statistics of people being infected or dying from COVID-19 .Such disbelief in science and medicine and a blind loyalty to those saying victory has been achieved and lets re open the nations economy or dire consequences , of which over 80,000 dead I guess doesn't register self preservation or protections for there well being and safety . I just don't get it in today's super age of information 24/7 that people still want to ignore proven facts and science . Hey lets party and go out and have fun and to heck with the consequences . Don't tread on me and infringe on my rights to live my life as I see fit . Really ?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 13, 2020 14:05

What bemuses me, and worries me the most, is the conflicting authoritative advice on two subjects.

In some jurisdictions we are all strongly advised to wear face masks at all times, but in others that's seen as not being necessary.

In some jurisdiction it is said to be vital to keep children away from school, yet in others that's seen as not being necessary.

And I'm not talking about advice/guidance coming from sources that we know to be uninformed, unofficial, or non-scientific. I'm talking about advice that is coming from sources that are known to be reputable and informed.

But they differ totally.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 13, 2020 14:21

DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain

Just Comments:

yes, but defining "completely safe to do so" is even harder, if not impossible

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 13, 2020 14:44

DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain

Here in Finland the kids (mine included) are going back to school tomorrow. There've been public debate about its reasonability (especially teachers have been vocal against it), but, however, I read about some Norwegian research claiming that the school lockout probably wasn't such a necessary move in fighting the corona. The kids weren't such dangerous group in spreading the virus, as they first were expected to be. You know more about that?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-13 14:45 by Doxa.

Date: May 13, 2020 14:53

stickyfingers101
DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain

Just Comments:

That's easier than opening up when it's most likely not safe smiling smiley

Many places in the US are at a different stage than here (the rest of the schools opened up today), so it's hard for me to take a stance here.

To illustrate the problem: My 18 year daughter moved out yesterday, because I'm in the high-risk group (her suggestion), to be able to attend school for the last couple of months.

So, personally I'm ambivalent to opening up - even though the numbers are good here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-13 14:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 13, 2020 15:00

DandelionPowderman
stickyfingers101
DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain

Just Comments:

That's easier than opening up when it's most likely not safe smiling smiley

Many places in the US are at a different stage than here (the rest of the schools opened up today), so it's hard for me to take a stance here.

To illustrate the problem: My 18 year daughter moved out yesterday, because I'm in the high-risk group (her suggestion), to be able to attend school for the last couple of months.

So, personally I'm ambivalent to opening up - even though the numbers are good here.

I hear ya!

I just have no idea how this "safe" term is going to be defined, especially when what is "good/safe" for say NYC is wildly different than say, Billings, Montana

and can we really have kids going to school in one state/town/district, but not in another?

what a mess.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: May 13, 2020 15:17

I'm very nervous about the kids going back to school as they're not exempt from this horrid virus. Right now these cases are rare but children are presenting to the hospital with a cluster of symptoms similar to the Kowasaki's disease...think they're calling it Pediatric Systemic Inflammatory Response...and it's deadly. Up to this point it was thought that children were relatively safe from contracting COVID-19 but we really don't know a lot about this virus. A vaccine can't come soon enough but I think it won't be until another year if we're lucky.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 13, 2020 15:20

What if a vaccine is never found?

Date: May 13, 2020 15:30

Yes it is a possibility that one won't be found but I trust that won't be the case. It could take a couple of years though. They're saying that we might need 2 vaccines initially and possibly yearly injections if this thing mutates.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 13, 2020 15:42

Maindefender

Then a repeat of this most likely.

Date: May 13, 2020 15:50

Norway went into a complete lockdown March 12. Then we opened up like this:

Apr 20 : Kindergarten
Apr 27 : School classes grade 1-4 i.e. age 6-9
May 11 : Schools and High school age 10-18

Last week, the government (not the health authorities) announced the step by step plan on opening up more during May and June.

Before the lockdown, the health authorities in Norway stated that kindergarten and schools did not have to close. Still, the politicians make the final decision, and they had a strong pressure from everyone, the people, to close totally. So the lockdown was including all schools, and also kindergarten.

Later on, the health authorities have been calculating the Reproduction factor i.e. the "R", how many people a covid-19 sick person transmit the virus to. They have now found out, by looking into historic data, that we had an R=3.5 two weeks before lockdown, but as we had powerful testing, tracing and quarantining during the following two weeks, the R factor was actually R=1 on the lockdown date March 12. So we did not have to do such a massive lockdown.

Still, I would say, better safe than sorry. Norway have approx 30 new corona positive cases per day now, and 95% of all tests are negative. The plan of the government is to open up stepwise every two weeks, with the foot close to the breaks at all times. If the R is getting above 1, the breaks are on. Today the R=0.49 in Norway.

Those countries who went into an early lockdown are now able to open up early. Those who were late in closing down, have a lot more cases around. The main problem with the corona virus is not just the R factor, but also the number of cases. Having 10,000 - 100,000 corona positive cases around is a lot more complicated, and expensive to handle, than just 100 - 1,000 cases.

There have been some opposition politicians in Norway who have been trying to score some political points in saying that we should not have closed down schools on March 12. The large majority of the people in Norway do not really care about politics these days, we trust the current government, and we trust they do what is needed to save our health and economy.

Bjornulf

Date: May 13, 2020 15:58

Maindefender

or the virus mutates to get around the vaccine year after year after year?

there's so many unknowns that kicking the can down the road in lockdown hoping that this will be "cured" soon very well may be a fool's errand....

it might never be cured, it might take decades or even centuries...

as horrible and morbid as it sounds, we very well may have to accept high(er) death tolls etc. etc. until this virus "runs its course naturally" (whatever that might actually mean)....

I don't mean to be hard-hearted, but if we are waiting for the death toll to get to ZERO, expect a very long (and very hard) wait....one that might result in the total collapse of society as we know it.

....and we might not like it, but continued lockdowns will reap havoc on the very industries we need to fight Corona...most notably, health care.

it already is....

In a horrible irony...many hospitals are going to have to CUT staff now b/c of the lockdown....some are already doing it.

[www.cbsnews.com]

Many hospitals stopped doing "non-essential" procedures when this started....these are the "bread and butter" of hospitals....now these hospitals face budget shortfalls, which means....wait for it.....layoffs of nurses, doctors etc.

I said it when this all started: I think we're going to have to get used to a world where Corona exists and we should start adapting to that as best we can.

we should "flatten the curve" as much as we can, but we will have to go back out into the world and face this head-on at some point.

I know this isn't the flu...but "acceptance" is basically where we're at w/ the flu....we're gonna have to get there w/ Corona too, I think.

yes, we have a "vaccine" for the flu...but, it still kills 10s of 1000s every year.

we've accepted that.

yes, Corona is worse...yes, Corona is more deadly...but, we are going to have to come to some sort of "acceptance" of this illness and its death toll at some point....

I don't know what the answer is, but "continued-lockdown and hope/wait" isn't sustainable....economically, politically or socially.

Sadly, I think we're likely going to have to decide "What Death Toll" is "acceptable" for us when it comes to Corona and move forward from there as best we can.

we do this with basically everything else in life....Corona is now part of our lives.

Just my Opinion.

that being said: Wear ya mask! Wash ya hands!

Date: May 13, 2020 15:59

Maindefender

Then over time i.e. in 1-2 years the virus will probably be weaker, through mutating, less dangerous, and more people will be immune. Just like the 1918 pandemic. The covid-19 will be more like the annual flu. It is not the end of the world. Meanwhile, we just have to protect the old people, and others at risk.

Bjornulf

Date: May 13, 2020 16:26

I just don't get this defiance. An employee at Target arm was broken because he tried to enforce the mask policy. What is the big deal about wearing a mask? Not to mention the unnecessary violence, this behavior almost seems sociopathic. Just don't care. I mean I hate wearing masks. It's difficult to breathe...always feel sluggish...and it certainly isn't a fashion statement although there are some cute homemade masks out there. I still see people walking down the aisles in the market the wrong way. I don't know if they're being defiant or just not paying attention.

Wearing masks, washing your hands, using sanitizer, and keeping your distance really isn't too much to ask to ensure your health and well-being and everyone else for that matter. I'm deathly afraid of this second wave that they're predicting. I don't know if our healthcare system can handle it.

Date: May 13, 2020 16:40

Bellajane
I just don't get this defiance. An employee at Target arm was broken because he tried to enforce the mask policy. What is the big deal about wearing a mask? Not to mention the unnecessary violence, this behavior almost seems sociopathic. Just don't care. I mean I hate wearing masks. It's difficult to breathe...always feel sluggish...and it certainly isn't a fashion statement although there are some cute homemade masks out there. I still see people walking down the aisles in the market the wrong way. I don't know if they're being defiant or just not paying attention.

Wearing masks, washing your hands, using sanitizer, and keeping your distance really isn't too much to ask to ensure your health and well-being and everyone else for that matter. I'm deathly afraid of this second wave that they're predicting. I don't know if our healthcare system can handle it.

it's dumbfounding, isn't it?

the "experts" dropped the ball big-time by not coming out fast-and-strong w/ a "Wear Ya Masks" UNIFIED chorus from DAY ONE.

instead they turned it into a debate/argument...and now want to back-track. That rarely works.

States should've had "mandatory masks" from the beginning....and cops should be out patrolling and handing out fines (or arresting defiant dinkbags).

ps...I think the grocery store thing is mostly not paying attention.

pps..but, being an American, I feel I can say this: Americans are not really the best rule-followers and/or most disciplined people on the face of the Earth. It's just who we are, for better or worse.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...144145146147148149150151152153154...LastNext
Current Page: 149 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home