Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...143144145146147148149150151152153...LastNext
Current Page: 148 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 12, 2020 18:20

Covid-19 IS NOT an influenza virus. It's like calling a dog a cat because both are pets with 4 legs.

[www.hopkinsmedicine.org]

Date: May 12, 2020 18:36

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Chuck Leavell talking about the virus.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 12, 2020 18:41

You’re just parsing words. The Johns Hopkins article directly states that the common flu and COVID-19 “are both infectious respiratory illnesses....caused by different viruses”, i.e. different viral infections with flu-like symptoms. A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Date: May 12, 2020 18:50

triceratops
DandelionPowderman
triceratops
BV

The prime vector is airborn droplets indoors. Especially confined indoor spaces with poor ventilation. This covers many offices, factories, homes, movie theaters, sports arenas. I think surface transmission is exaggerated. You will not get Covid by touching items in a store.

Covid has a very very poor chance of infecting you outdoors. Even at a crowded park or beach. The enemies of Covid transmission are sunlight, breeze and micro-breezes

BTW I read that Wuhan had a very overcast January, when Covid really spread.
Vitamin D is a Covid enemy.

That's correct. Unless you touch your mouth or your eyes, that is. And most of us can't avoid doing that.

I must disagree. Of course I refrain from touching my eyes and mouth when I am out and about. Just to be sure. But if I go into a number of stores and touch many items I am not going to pick up any Covid or it will be a bare minimum. Meaning not enough to harm me. Now if an infected shopper picked up an item and sneezed onto it...I can see Covid transmission there is high if I pick it up and start touching my eyes. But how many are sneezing onto items as they shop? Maybe breathing onto some...

You're taking it for granted that no one sneezed in his/her hand and touched the goods. I can't afford taking that risk. There are idiots everywhere, unfortunately.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 12, 2020 18:53

Excerpt from earlier today:

Another worry among epidemiologists, Fauci said, is that the vaccine backfires and strengthens the virus.

There have been at least two vaccines in the past that have produced a “suboptimal response,” he said. “And when the person gets exposed, they actually have an enhanced pathogenesis of the disease, which is always worrisome. So we want to make sure that that doesn’t happen. Those are the two major unknowns.”

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 12, 2020 18:57

This situation reminds me of 9/11 and its consequences. I feel like social distancing, comprehensive handwashing and even wearing face masks during winter months may be the new way of life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-12 18:58 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 12, 2020 19:09

Why on earth do people compare different viruses?

The first three below are all corona viruses, very different in fatality:

SARS : Fatality rate 11%
MERS : Fatality rate 35%
Covid-19 : Fatality rate 0.5%

No vaccine available!!!

This is something completely different:

Annual flu : Fatality rate 0.1%

Every year there is a flu vaccine available.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 12, 2020 19:20

BV

That is correct. But it is not always the right vaccine since the type of influenza viruses changes. Every year about 2,000 people in Sweden dies from the annual flue.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 12, 2020 19:23

daspyknows
Chris Fountain
I am wearing a mask every time I go out to stores and finding myself getting more and more annoyed at those who don't.

The folks that don't take precautions are going to pay. I've read what this virus can do to a person. It will attack you in many ways - Survivors are saying it was their worse experience ever. People need to realize that is not just the flu.

This is the point I have been trying to make. Why won't people wear a mask? Selfishness, stupidity, following the lead of the President? What is it?

As someone who survived, trust me, it IS NOT THE FLU.

it's probably a lot of things. Arrogance & ignorance are up there, for sure.

Cops not actively enforcing it is not helping one bit.

However, it also certainly did NOT help that when this all started Fauci, the WHO, the CDC and many, many, many other "experts" said: "masks don't do anything...they don't work" (in so many words)...many even claimed masks made it WORSE.

the so-called "experts" are STILL debating this publicly.

[www.theguardian.com]

"experts" sending mixed-messages at the same time as saying "listen to the experts" is confusing everyone and making the whole situation worse.

It seems very simple to me: if masks don't do anything, then we don't need to cover our sneeze or cough either...

they obviously work...are they 100%? Of course not....only a HazMat Suit will do that...but, our objective has been to "flatten the curve" all along.

masks certainly flatten the curve.

wear ya mask! wash ya hands!

Date: May 12, 2020 19:31

wear ya mask! wash ya hands!

Also, flush the toilet as you go, and quickly! -virus also spreads through feces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-12 19:32 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 12, 2020 19:34

Stoneage
BV

That is correct. But it is not always the right vaccine since the type of influenza viruses changes. Every year about 2,000 people in Sweden dies from the annual flue.

And so far in two months time this spring 3,300 people in Sweden have died from the covid-19, completely unable to protect themselves from it by a vaccine, right?

I think it is completely inappropriate to start discussing the annual flu here. If so, then we should know that people may get a vaccine, and the fact that it will protect may be 70% i.e. 3-4 of the most probable annual variations. Also, quite a few of those who die from the annual flu did not actually bother to pay $20 or SEK 200 or whatever the private cost is to get the annual flu vaccine.

Let's face the fact, some countries are not performing as well as others, simply because they are not able to protect their elderly properly. Further, these elderly, completely helpless, are now left to die without any contacts with those who love them the most. It is a disgrace. Covid-19 is certainly NOT to be compared to any other virus around now. It is far far more dangerous, both to our population, the elderly, and the economies.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-12 19:39 by bv.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 12, 2020 19:38

DandelionPowderman
triceratops
DandelionPowderman
triceratops
BV

The prime vector is airborn droplets indoors. Especially confined indoor spaces with poor ventilation. This covers many offices, factories, homes, movie theaters, sports arenas. I think surface transmission is exaggerated. You will not get Covid by touching items in a store.

Covid has a very very poor chance of infecting you outdoors. Even at a crowded park or beach. The enemies of Covid transmission are sunlight, breeze and micro-breezes

That's correct. Unless you touch your mouth or your eyes, that is. And most of us can't avoid doing that.

I must disagree. Of course I refrain from touching my eyes and mouth when I am out and about. Just to be sure. But if I go into a number of stores and touch many items I am not going to pick up any Covid or it will be a bare minimum. Meaning not enough to harm me. Now if an infected shopper picked up an item and sneezed onto it...I can see Covid transmission there is high if I pick it up and start touching my eyes. But how many are sneezing onto items as they shop? Maybe breathing onto some...

You're taking it for granted that no one sneezed in his/her hand and touched the goods. I can't afford taking that risk. There are idiots everywhere, unfortunately.
When we go grocery shopping we always wear gloves , no bare hands touching anything .

Date: May 12, 2020 19:41

TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
triceratops
DandelionPowderman
triceratops
BV

When we go grocery shopping we always wear gloves , no bare hands touching anything .

No offense - but don't gloves spread the virus as well?

Date: May 12, 2020 19:45

Chris Fountain
TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
triceratops
DandelionPowderman
triceratops
BV

No offense - but don't gloves spread the virus as well?

If you sneeze in them yes.

Date: May 12, 2020 19:45

TheGreek

When we go grocery shopping we always wear gloves , no bare hands touching anything .[/quote]

Only works if you never touch your face and remove the glove to access your credit/debit card to pay. I usually do that but admittedly have forgotten. If all others wear mask and take precautions than its a communal lowering of risk, unfortunately there are some who just don't care.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 12, 2020 19:51

BV
Let's face the fact, some countries are not performing as well as others, simply because they are not able to protect their elderly properly. Further, these elderly, completely helpless, are now left to die without any contacts with those who love them the most. It is a disgrace

Agree with that. And there is a consensus about that in Sweden. No one disagrees with that. There are some political factors involved in the deterioration in the care of old people here.
But I can't discuss that because then it would be politics..

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 12, 2020 19:54

Covid-19 is certainly NOT to be compared to any other virus around now. It is far far more dangerous, both to our population, the elderly, and the economies.<<<<

You just made a comparative statement.

They are both viruses, why not just leave it at that? I agree that we should just be talking about the COVID19 virus. It was others who drew the comparisons and tried to claim that whatever they had been through dwarfed the near-death experiences of others. That’s just being a COVID-19 diva. Hysterical statements won’t help in finding practical solutions to this mess.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 12, 2020 19:55

MisterDDDD
Never a big fan of buffets, but now I doubt I will ever eat from one again, even post virus.

Alarming video shows just how quickly coronavirus could spread around a restaurant

I miss my Whole Foods salad bar. They just opened in my area fairly recently & I was eating there a few times a week. I'd go when the store opened in the morning before anyone had been there. I'm usually only able to really eat once a day, if that because of meds. I live by myself & if I buy all the ingredients I end up throwing away a lot. They even had salmon a lot of days! I totally get the logic though & I wouldn't be eating that even if it were available.

Date: May 12, 2020 20:06

I was walking through the sunny streets of Amsterdam yesterday, and it was sad to see the empty bars, no live music, people with masks, long queues outside the supermarkets. It felt like being in North-Korea. If we get a second wave, that would imply that a lockdown doesn't help to get the virus under control, and another lock down. Finding a vaccin may take a very long time. What kind of world are we living in ? It's almost depressing by now.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 12, 2020 20:15

crholmstrom
MisterDDDD
Never a big fan of buffets, but now I doubt I will ever eat from one again, even post virus.

Alarming video shows just how quickly coronavirus could spread around a restaurant

I miss my Whole Foods salad bar. They just opened in my area fairly recently & I was eating there a few times a week. I'd go when the store opened in the morning before anyone had been there. I'm usually only able to really eat once a day, if that because of meds. I live by myself & if I buy all the ingredients I end up throwing away a lot. They even had salmon a lot of days! I totally get the logic though & I wouldn't be eating that even if it were available.

In America buffets and salad bars will be out out out for a long while. Though I just read people are jamming the lines at Carnival cruises to book July cruises. If Cruises aka "floating petri dishes" can come back so soon who knows.

I think Swedish breakfast bars will be back. They will need attendants to dish the different foods out to you. It will be more like a cafeteria that you can pick and choose and come back for more potions. But not self serve! They serve you.

This model will never work in a Las Vegas buffet where there are 100 different foods to choose from

Date: May 12, 2020 20:16

What made the Spanish Flu go away in 1918-1920? Do these virus cells have their own life spans?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 12, 2020 21:22

Chris Fountain
What made the Spanish Flu go away in 1918-1920? Do these virus cells have their own life spans?

It went away basically because of actions the way we do now with Coronavirus, close theatres, wear masks, no physical contact, etc
Also....so many millions had died after the Spanish flu, there was nobdy left!, or got immune after surving. Spanish flu killed more people than who died in WWI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-13 01:54 by Erik_Snow.

Date: May 12, 2020 21:30

More Stimulus Money 3 Trillion Dollars -

[www.foxnews.com]

NO SCHOOL IN FALL (This will not make moms' happy-)

[bestlifeonline.com]

Date: May 13, 2020 00:06

BTW, I had corona, I made the test, 1 month ago. But for me, it was just like the flu or something. I stayed home for 2 weeks, then it was over, and luckily I never passed it on to others. But I'm only 39 and in decent health. So it's very different for people. But I hear about other people, even in their 20s, who feel like they are dying.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: May 13, 2020 00:28

Here in London UK we had an 13 year old boy who died. Alone as his parents weren't allowed in.
Thank goodness the very young seem resistant.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 13, 2020 01:26

Also in London, a shameful tale of a railway ticket office worker and mother of an 11-year-old who was at work when a man who said he had the virus spat on her. She fell ill with Covid-19 and died.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 13, 2020 01:29

Chris Fountain
More Stimulus Money 3 Trillion Dollars -

[www.foxnews.com]

NO SCHOOL IN FALL (This will not make moms' happy-)

[bestlifeonline.com]

Public schools are going to get ravaged by budget cuts....which, ironically, will mean fewer teachers and more crowded classrooms....a recipe for more spread of the illness.

oh..and teachers will get paid even less....more kids, less pay, more risks.

[blogs.edweek.org]

Date: May 13, 2020 02:10

Erik_Snow
BTW, I had corona, I made the test, 1 month ago. But for me, it was just like the flu or something. I stayed home for 2 weeks, then it was over, and luckily I never passed it on to others. But I'm only 39 and in decent health. So it's very different for people. But I hear about other people, even in their 20s, who feel like they are dying.

Glad to hear your case wasn't too bad. You were very lucky. Mine was worse but luckily I lived to talk about it. So far there are 2 of us on here who survived.

Date: May 13, 2020 02:23

I'm seriously astonished by some of the imbecillity kind of posts, luckily daskyknows and bv take of out the worst pain.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 13, 2020 03:14

The Age --- 13 May 2020

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...143144145146147148149150151152153...LastNext
Current Page: 148 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10