Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...136137138139140141142143144145146...LastNext
Current Page: 141 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 8, 2020 18:14

MisterDDDD
Travel from New York City seeded wave of U.S. outbreaks

New York City’s coronavirus outbreak grew so large by early March that the city became the primary source of new infections in the United States, new research reveals, as thousands of infected people traveled from the city and seeded outbreaks around the country.

The research indicates that a wave of infections swept from New York City through much of the country before the city began setting social distancing limits to stop the growth. That helped to fuel outbreaks in Louisiana, Texas, Arizona and as far away as the West Coast.

The findings are drawn from geneticists’ tracking signature mutations of the virus, travel histories of infected people and models of the outbreak by infectious disease experts.

“We now have enough data to feel pretty confident that New York was the primary gateway for the rest of the country,” said Nathan Grubaugh, an epidemiologist at the Yale School of Public Health.

The central role of New York’s outbreak shows that decisions made by state and federal officials — including waiting to impose distancing measures and to limit international flights — helped shape the trajectory of the outbreak and allowed it to grow in the rest of the country.
[www.seattletimes.com]

I probably fall into this category since I was in NY in early March before the lockdown and social distancing. I flew back on a mostly empty flight and went food shopping the morning after I got back. I had hand sanitizer and tried to be careful but there was little info. Personally, I hope I didn't spread it but I will never know. Now, even though I am clear and likely have immunity I still take precautions.

Having been through it, I can't get the stupidity of those who deny it is real and/or do not care about spreading it to others. My case was likely a 7 out of 10 where 1 is asymptomatic and 10 is dead. I had an emergency room visit but was not sick enough to take a hospital bed yet. They said if I got worse they would.

A friend asked is it like the flu? I told him a cold is 1, a bad flu is a 10 and my Covid19 infection was a 500. He said he didn't know anyone besides me who had it. Since then he has had 2 people he knew die. That's what will happen as this spreads. When people see a family member sick or dying because they spread it they will have to live with it.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 8, 2020 18:17

bv
Brazil status vs the corona pandemic:

COVID-19 in Brazil: “So what?” (The Lancet May 8, 2020)

(Lancet) The biggest threat to Brazil's COVID-19 response is its president, Jair Bolsonaro.
When asked by journalists last week about the rapidly increasing numbers of COVID-19 cases, he responded: “So what? What do you want me to do?”

Bolsonaro continues to dismiss Covid-19 threat as cases skyrocket in Brazil (CNN May 8, 2020)

(CNN) Brazil's coronavirus cases have spiked to 135,106 including 9,146 deaths, according to numbers released Wednesday by the Brazilian Health Ministry. This surge comes as President Jair Bolsonaro's spokesman, Gen. Otavio Santana do Rego Barros, confirmed he tested positive for Covid-19.

Yet Bolsonaro said earlier this week he believed "the worst had passed" for the coronavirus pandemic, during a press conference outside the Alvorada presidential residence in Brasilia. But as the number of cases and deaths continue to climb, many health experts fear the worst is yet to come.

Brazil is going to be bad. In a few weeks the top 3 countries with the highest infections are going to be U.S., Russia and Brazil. All 3 are doing little or nothing to stop the spread of the virus.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: May 8, 2020 19:17

Stoneage
Worst case scenarios will be when it hits third world countries or failed states.
I'm afraid that's true. What is happing in Africa? Anyone here in this forum from an African country?

Stoneage
Maybe some parts of the world will be spared?
No, I'm afraid Corona will reach every part of the world sooner or later.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 8, 2020 20:44

The people waiting out Covid-19 in dark, frozen Antarctica

(CNN) — While the rest of the world continues to grapple with the coronavirus pandemic, one continent has managed to remain entirely free of the infection.
Antarctica, the coldest place on Earth, is now considered the "safest place in the world," with no confirmed cases at all.

The region had a close brush with Covid-19 when outbreaks hit the final cruise ships of the season, but the virus didn't reach its frozen shores. And, because it's currently descending into winter, when it's completely cut off, it should stay that way for now.

Although there's no official native population here -- unless you count the many penguins, whales, seals and albatrosses -- around 5,000 people, mostly scientists and researchers, currently reside in its 80 or so bases.

[edition.cnn.com]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 8, 2020 20:49

MisterDDDD
The people waiting out Covid-19 in dark, frozen Antarctica

(CNN) — While the rest of the world continues to grapple with the coronavirus pandemic, one continent has managed to remain entirely free of the infection.
Antarctica, the coldest place on Earth, is now considered the "safest place in the world," with no confirmed cases at all.

The region had a close brush with Covid-19 when outbreaks hit the final cruise ships of the season, but the virus didn't reach its frozen shores. And, because it's currently descending into winter, when it's completely cut off, it should stay that way for now.

Although there's no official native population here -- unless you count the many penguins, whales, seals and albatrosses -- around 5,000 people, mostly scientists and researchers, currently reside in its 80 or so bases.

[edition.cnn.com]

I didn't realize there were that many people in Antarctica! Thought maybe a few hundred in a handful of bases! Not sure if Canada has a base down there, I don't recall ever reading anything about one.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 9, 2020 02:46

bv
There have been talks about how the virus came to USA. This article was published last month, but it is still valid.

Most New York Coronavirus Cases Came From Europe, Genomes Show (New York Times April 8, 2020)

New research indicates that the coronavirus began to circulate in the New York area by mid-February, weeks before the first confirmed case, and that travelers brought in the virus mainly from Europe, not Asia.

“The majority is clearly European,” said Harm van Bakel, a geneticist at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, who co-wrote a study awaiting peer review.

It's been in Louisiana since as early as October - no one knew what the hell it was.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 9, 2020 03:22

THE AUSTRALIAN ---- 9 May 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 9, 2020 04:52

Rockman

Part of the Murdoch Press.... so no agenda at all, ever.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: May 9, 2020 05:54

The Stones packed 70,000 people into the San Diego stadium a lot of us would be at tonight in 1981.
If you had eight thousand+ more in the parking lots, that's how many deaths there's been in the US due to the virus as of now.
#AndCounting

Posted by: curt ()
Date: May 9, 2020 06:31

GasLightStreet
bv
There have been talks about how the virus came to USA. This article was published last month, but it is still valid.

Most New York Coronavirus Cases Came From Europe, Genomes Show (New York Times April 8, 2020)

New research indicates that the coronavirus began to circulate in the New York area by mid-February, weeks before the first confirmed case, and that travelers brought in the virus mainly from Europe, not Asia.

“The majority is clearly European,” said Harm van Bakel, a geneticist at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, who co-wrote a study awaiting peer review.

It's been in Louisiana since as early as October - no one knew what the hell it was.

Where would this information be found?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 9, 2020 07:18

Speaking of Lousiana, the Sheriff of Tangipahoa Parish is suing China > China coronavirus

Blame China for coronavirus, Tangipahoa sheriff -- John Bel Edwards' brother -- says in lawsuit

BY FAIMON A. ROBERTS III | Staff writer Published May 8, 2020 at 3:05 pm | Updated May 8, 2020 at 3:32 pm

Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff Daniel Edwards filed a federal lawsuit Friday against the People's Republic of China claiming that the new coronavirus originated in a lab in Hubei province and not in a local market, as most scientists have said. Edwards, brother of Gov. John Bel Edwards, filed the suit in New Orleans on Friday, and asked the court to certify it as a class action on behalf of all 3,000 sheriffs in the country.

The Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Office has suffered from the virus in the form of reduced revenue derived from serving subpoenas and other notices, a lack of foreclosures and sales, and reduced court fees and sales taxes, the suit says. Costs in the jail to isolate and distance prisoners and for the purchase of protective equipment have also gone up, the suit alleges. Testing inmates and employees as well as overtime have also added expenses, the suit says. The office has sustained about $700,000 in estimated damages so far, Edwards alleges in the suit.

Edwards' suit has little chance of clearing the major hurdles it would need to actually get heard in court, according to former U.S. Attorney Harry Rosenberg. The first would be trying to serve the defendants, which include the Communist Party in China, a number of Chinese agencies and the lab where the suit alleges the virus originated, with the suit. Serving those parties would require working through an international treaty, Rosenberg said. "It's cumbersome," he noted. Even if that could be done, the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act could be invoked, which would grant many of the defendants immunity from the suit, Rosenberg noted. Other domestic and international policies could also come into play and hinder the suit, Rosenberg said. "I really doubt that this is going to have any standing power," he said. Edwards is not the first local official to sue the Chinese government over the virus. Similar suits have been filed in Missouri, California, Nevada and Texas, among other places. A hearing is scheduled for September in a similar suit filed in Florida, Rosenberg noted.

Daniel Edwards declined to comment. When Gov. Edwards was asked about the suit during his Friday coronavirus briefing, he said he was unaware of it. "My brother doesn’t ask my permission for anything," he said. However, the governor said he briefly talked with Republican Attorney General Jeff Landry recently and that Landry said he was researching the possibility of filing a similar suit on behalf of the state. Daniel Edwards' suit has been assigned to U.S. District Judge Nannette Jolivette Brown.

Staff writer Sam Karlin contributed to this report.

Date: May 9, 2020 09:05

GasLightStreet

Interesting. Can you point us to where that's cited?

It would be interesting if proved. It could end up showing, for example, that the virus originated in rural USA (however it originated - natural mutation, or man-made), and was then taken to Wuhan by one of the regular trips to there by US citizens - be it to the virus lab there (to which there were regular US visitors), or to some other less contentious facility like a sub-contracting factory.

Intriguing. GasLightStreet please follow up!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 9, 2020 11:21

CaptainCorella
GasLightStreet

It would be interesting if proved. It could end up showing, for example, that the virus originated in rural USA (however it originated - natural mutation, or man-made), and was then taken to Wuhan by one of the regular trips to there by US citizens - be it to the virus lab there (to which there were regular US visitors), or to some other less contentious facility like a sub-contracting factory.

Yes--not saying at all that this is wrong, but I've been in Louisiana for decades and this is the first I've heard about that.

Date: May 9, 2020 12:18

I think Gaslight told us earlier that he heard it from health care workers in his family.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 9, 2020 12:54

Recent DNA analysis of the corona virus are telling us how the virus spread. We do now know that the virus might have started around Oct/Nov 2019. The first known case outside China is dated to Dec 27, 2019 in France.

New coronavirus spread swiftly around world from late 2019, study finds (Reuters MAY 6, 2020)

LONDON (Reuters) - A genetic study of samples from more than 7,500 people infected with COVID-19 suggests the new coronavirus spread quickly around the world after it emerged in China sometime between October and December last year, scientists said on Wednesday.

Scientists at University College London’s Genetics Institute found almost 200 recurrent genetic mutations of the new coronavirus - SARS-CoV-2 - which the UCL researchers said showed how it is adapting to its human hosts as it spreads.

“Phylogenetic estimates support that the COVID-2 pandemic started sometime around Oct. 6, 2019 to Dec. 11, 2019, which corresponds to the time of the host jump into humans,” the research team, co-led by Francois Balloux, wrote in a study published in the journal Infection, Genetics and Evolution.

Balloux said the analysis also found that the virus was and is mutating, as normally happens with viruses, and that a large proportion of the global genetic diversity of the virus causing COVID-19 was found in all of the hardest-hit countries.

In a second study also published on Wednesday, scientists at Britain’s University of Glasgow who also analysed SARS-CoV-2 virus samples said their findings showed that previous work suggesting there were two different strains was inaccurate.

A study by French scientists published earlier this week found a man in France was infected with COVID-19 as early as Dec. 27, nearly a month before authorities there confirmed the first cases.

The World Health Organization said the French case was “not surprising” and urged countries to investigate any other early suspicious cases.

Balloux’s team screened the genomes of more than 7,500 viruses from infected patients around the world. Their results add to a growing body of evidence that SARS-CoV-2 viruses share a common ancestor from late 2019, suggesting this was when the virus jumped from a previous animal host into people.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-09 12:55 by bv.

Date: May 9, 2020 14:02

How a human body is affected:

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 9, 2020 14:11

CaptainCorella
Rockman

Part of the Murdoch Press.... so no agenda at all, ever.

Name a major paper that’s not part of SOMEONE’S stable? They all have their own barrow to push. All of them...

Rod

Date: May 9, 2020 14:55

Date: May 9, 2020 15:34

It will be very interesting to see the results of that review! Keep us posted if you can.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 9, 2020 16:09

If you want to support musicians and make good use of the Stones logo : [wegotyoucoverednow.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 9, 2020 16:20

gotdablouse
If you want to support musicians and make good use of the Stones logo : [wegotyoucoverednow.com]

Here in Washington, masks are required in more and more businesses.
Saw a heated argument at Costco yesterday as a guy was refused entry because of no mask.

Don't get out much obviously, but when I do, I get a lot of comments and thumbs up on my tongue mask. Have a couple now, but will add one more for a good cause.
Thanks for the heads up!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 9, 2020 16:33

Sure !

France is "reopening" on Monday and while not compulsory everywhere apart from public transportation, masks are going to be required in many businesses it seems. And why not...they're not "enough" but it certainly won't hurt to wear one. My town gave out one reusable per person this week and we went out for our weekly shopping outing with one today...I suppose we'll get used to it.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 9, 2020 16:45

Two White House coronavirus cases raise question of if anyone is really safe

WASHINGTON — In his eagerness to reopen the country, President Donald Trump faces the challenge of convincing Americans that it would be safe to go back to the workplace. But the past few days have demonstrated that even his own workplace may not be safe from the coronavirus.

Vice President Mike Pence’s press secretary tested positive for the virus Friday, forcing a delay in the departure of Air Force Two while a half-dozen other members of his staff were taken off the plane for further testing. That came only a day after word that one of the president’s own military valets had been infected.

All of which raised an obvious question: If it is so hard to maintain a healthy environment at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., the most famous office address in the world, where staff members are tested regularly, some as often as every day, then how can businesses across the country without anywhere near as much access to the same resources establish a safe space for their workers?
[www.seattletimes.com]

Date: May 9, 2020 16:50

TEXAS SEES HIGHEST SINGLE DAY JUMP IN CORONAVIRUS CASES SINCE OUTBREAK BEGAN WITHIN TWO DAYS OF REOPENING

As the novel coronavirus outbreak continues in the U.S., Texas has reported its second, third and fourth highest daily spikes in cases since the outbreak began, within two days of the state easing lockdown measures on May 1.

On May 2, Texas reported 1,293 new cases, the second-highest count of new cases, and 1,026 new infections on May 3, the fourth-highest number of new cases since early March in the wake of the outbreak. May 1 marked the third-highest figure on record, with 1,142 new cases, according to the latest report Monday from Texas state health authorities.

Texas also recorded its highest daily death toll of 50 fatalities on April 30, just a day before the state's reopening, Texas health authorities report.
[www.newsweek.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 9, 2020 16:54

MisterDDDD
TEXAS SEES HIGHEST SINGLE DAY JUMP IN CORONAVIRUS CASES SINCE OUTBREAK BEGAN WITHIN TWO DAYS OF REOPENING

As the novel coronavirus outbreak continues in the U.S., Texas has reported its second, third and fourth highest daily spikes in cases since the outbreak began, within two days of the state easing lockdown measures on May 1.

On May 2, Texas reported 1,293 new cases, the second-highest count of new cases, and 1,026 new infections on May 3, the fourth-highest number of new cases since early March in the wake of the outbreak. May 1 marked the third-highest figure on record, with 1,142 new cases, according to the latest report Monday from Texas state health authorities.

Texas also recorded its highest daily death toll of 50 fatalities on April 30, just a day before the state's reopening, Texas health authorities report.
[www.newsweek.com]

this is my biggest concern - loosening of restrictions will bring exponential rise in cases. Next week's numbers will be revealing. Especially for those not exercising safety measures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-09 16:55 by Chris Fountain.

Date: May 9, 2020 17:00

Chris Fountain
this is my biggest concern - loosening of restrictions will bring exponential rise in cases. Next week's numbers will be revealing. Especially for those not exercising safety measures.

My biggest concern as well.
These new cases weren't an immediate result, but what a time to "open up".

Date: May 9, 2020 18:09

curt
GasLightStreet
bv

Where would this information be found?

Published? Nowhere to my knowledge. I heard it from someone I know that is working on a vaccine in Louisiana.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 9, 2020 18:13

"I heard it from someone I know".... So, now hearsay is facts here? Please...

Date: May 9, 2020 18:18

Aquamarine
CaptainCorella
GasLightStreet

Yes--not saying at all that this is wrong, but I've been in Louisiana for decades and this is the first I've heard about that.

I heard it from a doctor working on a vaccine at the Tulane Primate Center in Covington. We had about an hour long conversation/discussion about COVID-19 and various aspects of it, like the previous SARS in Canada.

She acknowledged that there's no way to know since no one had any idea and she never said anything about anyone doing any blood tests, just that it was behaving differently from, gee, the flu, and based on how people have been sick with this new SARS, COVID-19, they connected the dots.

Will that ever be proven? Does it matter?

It probably doesn't matter to the general public. In 2020 opinion carries more weight than fact. A doctor does a bizarre surgery on someone and people prattle on about how their praying to God saved them and say nothing about the doctor.

Someone mentioned something about reading the comments on FOX News on FaceBook about the killing of Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia - I never got to it, I wound up getting sidetracked by all the idiocy being said about COVID-19.

Such a brilliant country, the US.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 9, 2020 18:19

They just decided in South Korea to immediately close down about 2200 clubs, bars and disco's in Seoul ...
40 new infections linked to a couple of clubs.
In my country (NL) experts expect a second outbreak around the third week of June due to easing down ...
The story continues ...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...136137138139140141142143144145146...LastNext
Current Page: 141 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home