Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...135136137138139140141142143144145...LastNext
Current Page: 140 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Date: May 7, 2020 23:41

Something I posted earlier that got removed I think because it was in a string of political post.

A guy that works where I work felt ill got tested and had the virus.

Several people I know and who worked very close with him for 3 1/2 days who had shown symptoms like a light headache or a cough were also tested after his test came back positive.

Those 3 guys and a lot other workers on the job site that worked close to him and had some type of symptom were also tested and they all came back negative or virus free.

My friends for sure worked close enough to him for long enough to get the
virus.

I really am not sure what to think of this at all. Maybe some people have it but aren't ever contagious. Maybe some people just won't get it?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 7, 2020 23:43

There's no doubt we love each other generally, but Politics always brings out another personality. It's a bloodthirsty sport, and this pandemic is top of MT. Everest stuff. It's also much easier to type out disagreements than if in person. I've rarely been in company with friends or family and had ultra heated political arguments, but it's been easier via email for example. That's my experience.

Date: May 7, 2020 23:48

jumpontopofmebaby
[www.nbcnews.com]

A 'shocking' two-thirds of patients recently hospitalized in NY had been staying home

Could it be they are staying condo's or apartments and it is being passed thru the ventilation system?

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: May 7, 2020 23:57

I am sure the virus was here earlier then anyone knew. Kennedy airport and Newark International must have brought in a lot of passengers that had the virus. I am sure this is an understatement.

The people staying at home are still going for walks, food shopping and receiving deliveries. Those activities have risks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 23:59 by Rocknroll1969.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 7, 2020 23:59

Speaking of live music and how it will be impacted by the crisis:

Owner of Famed L.A. Venue The Troubadour: ‘Are We Going to Be a Footnote in History?’
“We’ve got no shareholders, no corporate funding and no income coming in whatsoever,” says Christine Karayan. “But the bills are still coming >Troubador

By Ethan Millman

West Hollywood music venue The Troubadour has long been one of the most storied venues in popular music. In the 1960s and Seventies, Laurel Canyon singer-songwriters like Joni Mitchell and Jackson Browne frequented the joint just a short drive away through the Hollywood Hills. In 1970, Elton John played his first U.S. shows there — the crowd included Neil Diamond, David Crosby and Leon Russell — that helped kickstart his career. Geffen Records signed Guns N’ Roses shortly after catching their set at the venue in 1986. Today, it’s a stop for both established stars and young artists and a popular choice for star-studded Grammy parties.

While the venue has fared well in recent years, regularly hosting special shows for the likes of Billie Eilish and the Black Crowes, they’ve never faced a greater threat to their existence due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Owner Christine Karayan was forced to lay off most of her staff, losing all but two of her workers, and she’s started a GoFundMe mainly to pay her staff. (The GoFundMe has raised nearly $60,000 since launching at the beginning of April from over 1,000 donors.)

The Troubadour isn’t alone in its struggle; it’s one of more than 1,300 venues that have banded together to found the National Independent Venue Association to encourage government officials to modify legislation to more easily accommodate venues and other businesses entirely reliant on attendance. Many of these venues worry they’ll close by the end of the year if no legislative action takes place to soften the blow, a NIVA spokesperson says.

Karayan spoke with Rolling Stone on her mounting fears for the venue’s future, fighting for legislation to save venues, and the importance of places like the Troubadour for local communities, artists and fans. She had more questions than answers.

I’m sure everyone across the board is concerned. Every small business is concerned in what their future holds, if there is a future. The question for the independent venues is if we can we safely get to the other side of this, quite frankly. The loans that are currently available, or not available I should say, are not really conducive to the types of business models we have in terms of being able to pay back in the timely manner.

The question is, “Are we going to be a footnote in history?” We’ve got no shareholders, no corporate funding and no income coming in whatsoever. But the bills are still coming, and the reality of what I do for the most part is getting on the phone with the landlord, or insurance company, or AT&T. We can’t stand this much monthly payout with zero coming in.

We’re all in the same scary boat; this same scary bit of uncertainty. We figured maybe we can at least get some legislation to help us. We just want to modify these existing programs; we just want to make the terms a bit more conducive to the way we work so we can get back on our feet and be able to move forward from this.

The Troubadour reached out to the city of West Hollywood, and NIVA offered support sending letters to Adam Schiff’s office and Dianne Feinstein’s office and to Kamala Harris’s office as well. Amy, my talent buyer, has been pounding emails, and I called every single person I know who might potentially know someone. I don’t know what did it, but we were able to obtain a video meeting with Congressman Schiff, and he seemed interested in our plight for NIVA. Hopefully we can set up another conversation; our end goal is speaker Pelosi.

We’re just looking for a chance, really, but if so many other businesses are in the same boat, it’s hard to expect to get priority. But even a few hundred dollars is a few hundred we didn’t have that we can put toward the bills.

We set up a GoFundMe page initially because we had to lay off the staff fully except for the two people in the office getting the joy of cancelling and refunding for tickets. When we set it up, I thought, “Wow, I can’t believe this is happening, we’ll be ok.” I thought it’d just pass in a few weeks and that’d be it. I don’t know where my brain was, to be honest. As each day unfolded, I just thought “Oh my God, no.” This isn’t anything anyone could’ve imagined.

In terms of the city, they offered their full support for anything we need to get done, but financially no. West Hollywood is an entertainment hub; there are way too many businesses at a complete standstill. In fairness, they can’t allocate to anyone because it’s just not right. We had some calls of support from agencies we work with telling us they’d do whatever it takes to help, but I don’t know what that means. We have great relationships with them, but they’re struggling too. Everyone’s got their own story right now.

I’m confident we can easily make it to the end of the year — maybe beginning of next year — but that’s with me chipping away every single overhead we have. It’s interesting how much you really don’t think of the bigger picture until you’re in a situation like this. We’re hoping we can open at the beginning of next year, but the question on everybody’s mind is what opening will be like.

Let’s say we can open. We allow what, 25% capacity? 25%, and to take a loan on top of that, you can’t pay back anything. You’re already under the eight ball, and now the eight ball is just going to crush you if you haven’t already been crushed. I’m fortunate because we were saving up for a couple big-ticket items, and I pushed back on that figuring we should see where we are in the second half of the year. Thank God I did that or else it’d be an even more serious situation had I spent all that money in the first quarter. I got lucky. That’s what it came down to: just luck.

If this place closed, I would be devastated, my name would be associated with this demise. Even with something like a benefit show, the problem is the uncertainty of when? What? How? Hopefully, God willing, we get to the other side and can call upon a couple favors and say “Please, whatever you guys can do,” but what to ask when we don’t even know what’s going on is impossible really.

As much as we want to get out and resume some type of normalcy, I think it’s going to be strange for a very long time. Until we get that vaccine, our normal is never going to be normal. Everyone I talk to, it’s pretty much the same. It’s the uncertainty.

There’s going to be casualties, who are they? When we make it, what does it look like? How do we keep our bands, employees and patrons safe? I’m not saying someone wielding a gun is ok, but at least you can react to that and try to do something. What do you do with a threat you don’t see? We’re talking about safety guidelines. The government has to start whether it’s city or state, it has to give us some guidelines. At the same time, is it fair to expect a door person to take someone’s temperature? They’re not qualified to make those kinds of decisions on safety. But what would that look like? What’s the daily operation going to look like?

I know how fortunate we are. This place has been around a really long time, and it’s been really lucky being in Los Angeles. It’s a primary market. Like it [or] don’t like it, that’s the reality. We’ve been fortunate to have artists and managers, reporters, that have a story for the Troubadour, it meant something to them. It’s very humbling. We’re in a way better position than a lot of these venues. I know it and I’m grateful, but even with all the things going for us, I’m still as scared as everybody else because I just don’t see… it’s a step forward and three steps back.

These venues are important for so many reasons, forget the economic aspect of it. These venues are like families to the people who work there and play there, and the patrons that come there become like family. They come all the time. You see the happiness when their favorite band plays. You see that “aha moment”. Even sometimes when I don’t understand the artist, I can see it. I see it when I watch the crowd. You cannot stream that, you cannot go to the Staples Center for that. I’m not saying you can’t have a good time at Staples, however that moment that you feel, that camaraderie you feel, you cannot experience anywhere else like a small venue.

And another story:

#SaveOurStages: 1,300 Music Venues Form Coalition Seeking Federal Support to Stay Afloat During COVID-19 Pandemic

By Rock Cellar Magazine Staff on May 7, 2020 >Rock

Live music. It’s something we all want back in our lives, once circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic improve enough to allow such entertainment to return — but the very music venues that house them are in significant trouble, per a sobering new report from Rolling Stone.

1,300 venues across the United States have joined forces and formed a coalition called the National Independent Venue Association (NIVA), seeking tax relief and grants to ensure they won’t have to close permanently due to the pandemic and the devastation it’s brought the industry.

Via Rolling Stone:
NIVA is a new coalition of independent venues across the U.S. that includes California’s Troubadour and New York’s Hammerstein Ballroom; despite never having worked together before, its member venues banded together for the first time to seek federal support such as tax relief and business recovery grants. The organization tells Rolling Stone on Wednesday that 90% of its 1,300 member venues report they do not have cash on hand to last more than six months without federal intervention, and 55% say they do not have enough to last more than three months.

Venues like the Troubadour in West Hollywood, a venerable music history museum, recently started a GoFundeMe page to help its suddenly out-of-work employees and facility in this tough time, and it’s a growing trend among the venue scene. The Troubadour has been a vocal proponent of NIVA and its #SaveOurStages campaign on social media, as well.

Dayna Frank, board president of NIVA, spoke with Rolling Stone about the efforts to save venues across the country, and gave some stark perspective on how rough it really is right now:

"We are all going to do what we need to do to protect public health, because this is a public health crisis. We were prepared to be down for three months. Six months. But now, is it starting to look like 12 months, 18 months? That’s when the existential crisis ensues. We all have personal guarantees out on all this debt. We have no corporate parent. If we can’t pay this debt, they take our personal assets. I think that’s a six-month timeline from here. That’s why we are focused on getting federal funding for our businesses that are shuttered with absolutely no way to have income. If we can’t get venues the type of support they need until they can start operating at full capacity, where are the artists going to play? They’re going to get on a bus and have no place to pull over to".

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 8, 2020 00:01

jumpontopofmebaby
jumpontopofmebaby
[www.nbcnews.com]

A 'shocking' two-thirds of patients recently hospitalized in NY had been staying home

Could it be they are staying condo's or apartments and it is being passed thru the ventilation system?

In NYC there are many extended families who live in small apartments. The younger person brings it home, asymptomatic or contaminated and share with the family. All people in the building all enter through the same doors and take same elevators (if available). Often there are communal washers and trash areas. One resident can infect many others in the building.

Most of the high infection areas are in moderate and lower income areas and would not have ventilation systems but then, it is possible. That's how Legionnaire's disease spread.

Date: May 8, 2020 00:13

Maindefender
There's no doubt we love each other generally, but Politics always brings out another personality. It's a bloodthirsty sport, and this pandemic is top of MT. Everest stuff. It's also much easier to type out disagreements than if in person. I've rarely been in company with friends or family and had ultra heated political arguments, but it's been easier via email for example. That's my experience.

It's almost as dangerous as discussing Micks solo career...(just kidding )...
Peace to everyone here - those on the left, the right, the middle, those who love Mick solo, who love Keith solo, who prefer Brian era, Taylor era, Ronnie era, those who love it all, and those who LOVE the Beatles!
It's a small world after all, and just so happens this small world is in a hell of a mess right now - a bit of kindness can go a long way ...forgot where I was going with this...haha...it's only rock and roll, and we like it.thumbs up

Date: May 8, 2020 00:18

Hairball
Maindefender

Peace to everyone here - those on the left, the right, the middle, those who love Mick solo, who love Keith solo, who prefer Brian era, Taylor era, Ronnie era, those who love it all, and those who LOVE the Beatles!
It's a small world after all, and just so happens this small world is in a hell of a mess right now - a bit of kindness can go a long way ...forgot where I was going with this...haha...it's only rock and roll, and we like it.thumbs up

The Beatles aren't rock and roll!

Just kidding......wait....ok just kidding

Date: May 8, 2020 00:22

jumpontopofmebaby
Hairball
Maindefender

Definitely the most ridiculous statement I've read in this thread...just kidding....thumbs up...(Beatles #1.)

Date: May 8, 2020 00:23

Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby
Hairball
Maindefender

Definitely the most ridiculous statement I've read in this thread...just kidding....thumbs up...(Beatles #1.)

As long as you do know I was JUST KIDDING!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 8, 2020 00:25

Rocknroll1969
I am sure the virus was here earlier then anyone knew. Kennedy airport and Newark International must have brought in a lot of passengers that had the virus. I am sure this is an understatement.

The people staying at home are still going for walks, food shopping and receiving deliveries. Those activities have risks.

100% correct.

[www.forbes.com]

For one, NYC has tons of Chinese who went home for the "New Year" and probably brought it back w/ them.

for two, NYC is the gateway to most of the US from Europe (and lots of other places)...so, it came from Europe (and elsewhere) too.

for three, it's crowded, depends on mass-transit and like most urban centers...it's dirtier than people think....all are perfect breeding grounds for such a disease.

for four, NYC was "slow" to lockdown given all of the above factors....

[www.cnbc.com]

for five, New Yorkers started running for the hills when all this broke....and dragged it w/ them....

[www.businessinsider.com]

my neighbors are New Yorker "Summer People" (ie. have a summer home)...they showed up early this year....

whattaya gonna do? It's a free country, for the most part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-08 00:37 by stickyfingers101.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 8, 2020 00:25

Hairball
Maindefender

Well said Mr Hairball! The World is a poorer place if we can’t respect others’ entitlement to their own tastes and views. Peace and Love!

You’re starting to sound a bit like Ringo - he lives just up the road from you. Just got to work on that Scouse accent grinning smiley

Date: May 8, 2020 00:43

jumpontopofmebaby

Of course...smileys with beer

grzegorz67
Hairball
Maindefender

Well said Mr Hairball! The World is a poorer place if we can’t respect others’ entitlement to their own tastes and views. Peace and Love!

You’re starting to sound a bit like Ringo - he lives just up the road from you. Just got to work on that Scouse accent grinning smiley

smiling smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 8, 2020 01:56

Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby

Of course...smileys with beer

grzegorz67
Hairball
Maindefender

smiling smiley

That's the one grinning smiley I actually saw him 18 months ago on stage with Macca and a Mr R Wood.

He's been in California for about 40 years but his original Scouse Accent hasn't moved at all! I believe your missus is English so she can help winking smiley

Anyway, Peace and Love to all. We don't want Bjornulf closing the board. That would be a crying shame.

Date: May 8, 2020 03:22

Hairball
Maindefender

I’ve had a punkish song in my head today about a woman named Iris who got the virus. Something Mick would have written in ‘78. I realize it’s too early but.........she survived

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 8, 2020 03:27

Maindefender
Hairball
Maindefender

I’ve had a punkish song in my head today about a woman named Iris who got the virus. Something Mick would have written in ‘78. I realize it’s too early but.........she survived

not to get OT but i listened to the new X record today. it's pretty damn good!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 8, 2020 03:57

daspyknows
kovach
TheGreek
In my neck of the woods (NY) the # are spiking with the non essential workers who are supposed to be staying home . On the news last night it reported that essential workers ( like me ) are not spiking in transmissions , it's the ones that are home and supposed to be staying safe . Can you believe that ? It's like party time for them or something . Then our most vulnerable part of our population our seniors in Nursing homes are being infected and dying at high #, due to empty beds being used in Nursing homes to care for those infected . A close friend of mine whose mother is in one of these Nursing homes is frightened like you would not believe for his Mom and Families are not allowed to Visit and he can only talk to her on the phone . Her Family is very terrified for her health and well being .

My dad had a stroke in January and is now in one of these facilities (though not NY). The stroke has impaired his speech (so we can't even call him), his right arm (and he's right handed), and he can no longer walk. It scares the hell out of me. We did arrange a Skype call so he knows we didn't abandon him, and have another scheduled this weekend.

He was taking care of my mom who we now know (and already suspected) is in early Alzheimers, which we were close to getting her into assisted living in the same community my dad is in, and that fell through when the virus hit, which I guess is good and bad but we're all taking care of her and some of us aren't able to work from home.

It's really been a sh!tty year for my family.

Sorry to hear what you are going through. Hoping for the best. Wish there was something we could do.

Thanks man, appreciate it. Not looking for sympathy, just trying to point out how bad it is for some of us, and that's not the worst, I can't imagine how horrible it must be for some to die alone in those places then the families can't even have a proper funeral. I just hope we turned a corner and can get back in and enjoy more time together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-08 03:59 by kovach.

Date: May 8, 2020 04:32

Stoneage
First: Kovach, I know what you are talking about. My father suffered a stroke also (he is not with us anymore). Take care. Be strong. Do the best you can. Best wishes.

Second: The US internal debate has taken over this thread now. Which makes it a bit harder for a non-US citizen (like I) to navigate in. Where did all the Europeans go?

Thanks man, very sorry for your loss.

Date: May 8, 2020 04:35

MingSubu
Then end it. No one is forcing you to continue.

You make comments like this, from time to time. Your wife seems to be noticing something. Why do you continue?

Hey, we're all venting, cut BV some slack, he needs to also. We won't all agree on everything but that doesn't mean we can't agree on many things.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 8, 2020 05:07

kovach
MingSubu
Then end it. No one is forcing you to continue.

You make comments like this, from time to time. Your wife seems to be noticing something. Why do you continue?

Hey, we're all venting, cut BV some slack, he needs to also. We won't all agree on everything but that doesn't mean we can't agree on many things.

Just a serious question. He has talked about this a few times. Always seems negative for him. So instead of having the hassle and expressing it. Just eliminate the hassle. Seems pretty simple.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 8, 2020 06:16

For what it's worth I wear a dual-cartridge respirator mask similar to the one pictured and eye protection goggles over my glasses and some Dollar Store gloves. My mask protects me.

There is not a good air seal at the top of the bridge of my nose so I take a small amount of toilet paper and wet it and it place it to form a good air seal. I haven't seen anyone on the street with something similar when I go out once a week. It seems to me these days that very few people are even wearing surgical masks on the street which I find worrisome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-08 06:18 by MileHigh.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: May 8, 2020 12:07

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 8, 2020 13:33

"If your going thru hell keep going " Winston Churchill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-08 13:37 by TheGreek.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 8, 2020 13:47

Travel from New York City seeded wave of U.S. outbreaks

New York City’s coronavirus outbreak grew so large by early March that the city became the primary source of new infections in the United States, new research reveals, as thousands of infected people traveled from the city and seeded outbreaks around the country.

The research indicates that a wave of infections swept from New York City through much of the country before the city began setting social distancing limits to stop the growth. That helped to fuel outbreaks in Louisiana, Texas, Arizona and as far away as the West Coast.

The findings are drawn from geneticists’ tracking signature mutations of the virus, travel histories of infected people and models of the outbreak by infectious disease experts.

“We now have enough data to feel pretty confident that New York was the primary gateway for the rest of the country,” said Nathan Grubaugh, an epidemiologist at the Yale School of Public Health.

The central role of New York’s outbreak shows that decisions made by state and federal officials — including waiting to impose distancing measures and to limit international flights — helped shape the trajectory of the outbreak and allowed it to grow in the rest of the country.
[www.seattletimes.com]

Date: May 8, 2020 14:09

crholmstrom
Maindefender
Hairball
Maindefender

not to get OT but i listened to the new X record today. it's pretty damn good!

Good to know thanks..thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 8, 2020 15:54

Trump says doing too much coronavirus testing makes the US 'look bad' as he pushes for the country to reopen

President Donald Trump thinks that too much coronavirus testing makes the US "look bad."

*"The media likes to say we have the most cases, but we do, by far, the most testing. If we did very little testing, we wouldn't have the most cases. So, in a way, by doing all of this testing, we make ourselves look bad," Trump said on Wednesday.

*The US still lags behind other countries in terms of the share of the population tested for coronavirus.

*Public health experts, including Dr. Anthony Fauci, have warned against reopening the country and easing coronavirus restrictions without a robust testing system in place.
[www.yahoo.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 8, 2020 16:59

There have been talks about how the virus came to USA. This article was published last month, but it is still valid.

Most New York Coronavirus Cases Came From Europe, Genomes Show (New York Times April 8, 2020)

New research indicates that the coronavirus began to circulate in the New York area by mid-February, weeks before the first confirmed case, and that travelers brought in the virus mainly from Europe, not Asia.

“The majority is clearly European,” said Harm van Bakel, a geneticist at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, who co-wrote a study awaiting peer review.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 8, 2020 17:14

Brazil status vs the corona pandemic:

COVID-19 in Brazil: “So what?” (The Lancet May 8, 2020)

(Lancet) The biggest threat to Brazil's COVID-19 response is its president, Jair Bolsonaro.
When asked by journalists last week about the rapidly increasing numbers of COVID-19 cases, he responded: “So what? What do you want me to do?”

Bolsonaro continues to dismiss Covid-19 threat as cases skyrocket in Brazil (CNN May 8, 2020)

(CNN) Brazil's coronavirus cases have spiked to 135,106 including 9,146 deaths, according to numbers released Wednesday by the Brazilian Health Ministry. This surge comes as President Jair Bolsonaro's spokesman, Gen. Otavio Santana do Rego Barros, confirmed he tested positive for Covid-19.

Yet Bolsonaro said earlier this week he believed "the worst had passed" for the coronavirus pandemic, during a press conference outside the Alvorada presidential residence in Brasilia. But as the number of cases and deaths continue to climb, many health experts fear the worst is yet to come.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 8, 2020 17:31

Well, no one expected anything less from Bolsonaro. It is always going to be worse in countries with weak democracies. Because the governments aren't to be trusted.
Worst case scenarios will be when it hits third world countries or failed states. But no one knows how this virus acts. Maybe some parts of the world will be spared?

Date: May 8, 2020 17:37

[www.cnn.com] could kill an extra 75,000 Americans through "deaths of despair"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...135136137138139140141142143144145...LastNext
Current Page: 140 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home