Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...134135136137138139140141142143144...LastNext
Current Page: 139 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 7, 2020 18:07

jumpontopofmebaby
Chris Fountain
I think in some cases - social distancing is impossible. The Salon/ Barber business is a good example. But when I got my haircut, Purell was used to clean hands for both my barber and myself.

How are diners ever going to reopen if everyone is required to wear masks? The Restaurant and Pub businesses are screwed. Social Distancing will not provide enough income for these businesses to survive.

The social distancing is a great idea...but once you enter a store that all goes away. When you step up to pay. There is not 6 feet anymore. And then you exchange money. So as far at the social distancing stuff. Does not work at a store.

Maybe not in your state but in California they do a very good job at it.

It really seems every attempt to reduce spread or make it safer for people doesn't work or impinges on your liberty. So, we do nothing, lots more people die (some who were stupid, some innocent). That is ok with you? Is it ok if you or someone in your immediate family catches is and dies? Just wondering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 18:19 by daspyknows.

Date: May 7, 2020 18:29

daspyknows
jumpontopofmebaby
MisterDDDD
jumpontopofmebaby
It was not selfish. The people that came to see her made their own decisions. She need the money to provide for her family. Same as the judge. That showed up for work. I guess he is selfish also then.

These are generally the same people who holler " all they had to do is listen to the police and not resist!" when an unarmed person is shot by an officer.

The people that attended Covid parties in my state also made their own decisions.
On average they then had contact with twenty-five people afterwards. Twenty five people exposed to the virus, who then have contact with twenty-five people each, who they then had contact with...
And then people who didn't decide to defy laws get sick and die, and as the numbers rise, we all have to start isolation measures from scratch.

Definitely selfish, but also ignorant.

Why was ok for the judge and everyone else in the courtroom to go to work. Why was it ok to make her show up in a court room?

Are you sure they all went to court. The Supreme Court was in session but not open.

Enforcing laws is more essential than getting a hair cut imho.

OK

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 7, 2020 18:38

daspyknows
Chris Fountain
In Texas Judge tried to make a salon admit that she was selfish for opening her hair salon. She said would not because trying to feed her children is not selfish. Crazy Judge sentenced her to jail for 7 days and fined her $7,000. A lot of folks are mad - Selfishness is not a crime -

Video of Judge and Salon owner verbal exchange is included in article.

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick defends jailed salon owner: ‘She should be home for Mother’s Day’

[www.foxnews.com]

No, but assault with a deadly weapon is. Not exactly equating the two but they should test her and if she is positive for the virus she is putting others at risk and there should be accountability.

And if she's negative??? I'm sure she's been tested, especially in prison even though isolated

Date: May 7, 2020 18:59

Maindefender
daspyknows
Chris Fountain
In Texas Judge tried to make a salon admit that she was selfish for opening her hair salon. She said would not because trying to feed her children is not selfish. Crazy Judge sentenced her to jail for 7 days and fined her $7,000. A lot of folks are mad - Selfishness is not a crime -

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick defends jailed salon owner: ‘She should be home for Mother’s Day’

[www.foxnews.com]

No, but assault with a deadly weapon is. Not exactly equating the two but they should test her and if she is positive for the virus she is putting others at risk and there should be accountability.

And if she's negative??? I'm sure she's been tested, especially in prison even though isolated

Then treat her like anyone else who broke similar laws

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 7, 2020 19:45

DandelionPowderman
jumpontopofmebaby
Chris Fountain
I think in some cases - social distancing is impossible. The Salon/ Barber business is a good example. But when I got my haircut, Purell was used to clean hands for both my barber and myself.

How are diners ever going to reopen if everyone is required to wear masks? The Restaurant and Pub businesses are screwed. Social Distancing will not provide enough income for these businesses to survive.

The social distancing is a great idea...but once you enter a store that all goes away. When you step up to pay. There is not 6 feet anymore. And then you exchange money. So as far at the social distancing stuff. Does not work at a store.

Order the food online, and get it delivered. Works great here. I haven't been shopping even once, since the pandemic broke loose.

Remember to clean the goods with lots of soap, and to wash your hands.

No need to go to the store, if you're worried about catching the virus or in the high-risk group.

It's very difficult to book an online delivery slot from any of the major UK supermarkets unless you are on the official list of people with medical conditions that make them extra vulnerable to the virus. Otherwise, if you can't find someone to shop for you, you have to go out.

Most food shops have now got distancing rules, limits on the number of people, etc, and are trying to avoid dealing in cash. On the other hand, many small local shops have started new delivery services, and some businesses that used to sell high-end food to (closed) posh restaurants are now selling to the general public online (if you like stuff like quail eggs!)

All the usual food takeaways are busy, and most cafes and restaurants are now doing takeaway or order-and-collect services in order to survive. There are various Government loan schemes for small businesses to keep them afloat and allow them to restart, but I don't know how well they will work.

We are expecting a small easing of the lockdown next week, but nothing like a general reopening.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 7, 2020 19:47

bv
jumpontopofmebaby
Chris Fountain

For two months now, all our grocery stores have had these one meter lines, lining up people 1m i.e. 3ft apart. Also we have plexiglass between the cash register person and us, also other places in the stores.

We've also had markers and plexiglass at every supermarket where I live for at least a month now, but instead of one meter (3 ft.), the distance between markers is 2 meters (6 ft). There's one way entrances and exits, and the carts are cleaned and sterilized at the entrance to the store where once inside there is also hand sanitizer napkins. At least one of the markets has one way arrows in the aisles, but I admit I unintentionally broke the rule by going the wrong way down the soup aisle the other day. Made a quick getaway before one of the clerks scolded me by sneaking over to the frozen food aisle , but learned my lesson ha. Can't bring your own reusable bags into some stores, and not sure as it's been a week or so since I've had to go to the market, but I think masks might be required at some of them? Maybe it's still voluntary, but I require myself to wear one when entering the store, or if I know I'll be anywhere near other people. Thankfully when all this started, I had a stockpile of heavy duty surgical type masks (N95) at my art studio, so my wife and I are safe for quite awhile. Along with those, we also have a selection of lightweight cotton facemasks...never knew how much I would cherish a facemask collection until now...strange days....

Date: May 7, 2020 19:55

Maindefender
daspyknows
Chris Fountain

[www.foxnews.com]

Texas Supreme Court orders salon owner to be freed

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 7, 2020 19:58

jumpontopofmebaby
Maindefender
daspyknows
Chris Fountain

[www.foxnews.com]

Texas Supreme Court orders salon owner to be freed

Good, but here's a song I have cued up for her 7 day sentence.....
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 7, 2020 20:10

Heard this on the news radio earlier, and found the story online....crazy days up in Washington state, but no doubt we have similarly crazy sh*t going on down here in California....

Four Republican lawmakers sue Inslee over coronavirus stay-home order, contending ‘the emergency has been contained’
May 5, 2020 at 4:50 pm Updated May 5, 2020 at 6:09 pm
Jim Brunner By Jim Brunner
Seattle Times staff reporter

Washington

In the latest in an escalating series of legal challenges by Republicans, four Washington state legislators sued Gov. Jay Inslee in federal court on Tuesday, seeking to strike down his stay-home order aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus.A 28-page complaint, filed by the lawmakers and others in U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, contends “the emergency has been contained” and that continuing restrictions for workers, businesses and residents are not legally justified.

The lawmakers joining the lawsuit are Reps. Drew MacEwen, R-Union; Andrew Barkis, R-Olympia; Chris Corry, R-Yakima; and Brandon Vick, R-Vancouver. Four other Washington residents also are plaintiffs, saying their rights to work, operate businesses, obtain medical care and worship have been harmed. The plaintiffs are represented by Joel Ard, a Seattle lawyer and member of the conservative Federalist Society, and David DeWolf, a professor emeritus of law at Gonzaga University.

Inslee’s emergency stay-home order, which was first imposed March 23, was recently extended through May 31, although some workplaces, construction sites and recreational activities are reopening in phases. The new lawsuit portrays the threat of the COVID-19 pandemic in Washington as overblown, pointing, for example, to the state sending ventilators to other states and scrapping a U.S. Army field hospital which had been built at CenturyLink Field.

With hospitals not currently at risk of being overwhelmed, the lawsuit says that underpinning of Inslee’s emergency order is no longer valid. “The threat has faded. But Inslee continues on,” the complaint states, adding the virus is a threat primarily to older, vulnerable populations. Inslee has not shown deaths would rise among any group if the stay-home order is lifted, the lawsuit asserts, “other than the most vulnerable population — sick, elderly people in long term care.” It adds that the governor has not adequately considered targeted measures to protect that population, while allowing others to return to work.

Inslee called the lawsuit’s claims “biologically ignorant and humanly heartless” when asked about it at a news briefing Tuesday afternoon.“It’s just ignorant, because this is a very transmittable disease,” Inslee said. “It continues to transmit disease, we had hundreds of new cases just yesterday, it’s just a biological fact.”

J.T. Wilcox, R-Yelm, the House Republican leader, was not part of the lawsuit, but sounded supportive Tuesday, citing “irretrievable damage being done to families, institutions and commerce.” He added, “We were not meant to be governed in the long term by emergency orders. It is good to test this constitutionally.”

State Democratic Party Chair Tina Podlodowski criticized the Republican legal challenges as extremist. “This is yet another irresponsible action from Washington State Republicans that jeopardizes the sacrifices so many Washingtonians have made to save lives in the fight against this virus,” she said in a statement, vowing to make the virus response an issue in campaigns this fall.

As of Tuesday, the state has had 15,594 confirmed cases of coronavirus, with 862 deaths, according to the state health department. Of those who have died, more than 90% were 60 years or older. The new challenge is the third federal lawsuit by Republicans and conservatives against the state’s coronavirus restrictions. In April, Republican gubernatorial candidate Joshua Freed filed a narrower lawsuit targeting the state’s ban on in-person church services and other spiritual gatherings, which was imposed as part of a broader prohibition on public gatherings. Last week, Tim Eyman, the initiative promoter also running for governor, and others filed a lawsuit broadly challenging Inslee’s order as “tyranny.” The lead plaintiff in that lawsuit, Franklin County Commissioner Clint Didier, said at a news conference last week, “We can take care of this virus by letting the people catch it.”

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: May 7, 2020 20:51

As with most things in our society, the poor are hurt more by this pandemic. Many don’t have credit cards, so must pay using cash. Depending on where you live, grocery deliveries may not be available. I am not poor, but I live in a semi-rural area. I have to drive to the next town to go to a supermarket for my groceries. I go once every two weeks, wearing a cloth mask and carrying a Clorox wipe. I go to a market that usually is not crowded. When I get back to my car, I thoroughly wash my hands with a bar of soap and a bottle of water that I keep in the car because I have not been able to buy hand sanitizer. I don’t worry too much for myself, but I take care of my elderly parents and I don’t want to infect them.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 7, 2020 21:21

daspyknows
Maindefender
daspyknows
Chris Fountain

[www.foxnews.com]

Then treat her like anyone else who broke similar laws

They're not putting shoplifters in jail these days for fear of them catching coronavirus, so she was made an example of which is what some are seeing as unfair.

Date: May 7, 2020 21:26

Stoneage
MingSubu
Stoneage
MingSubu
Where is this money coming from?

Basically, the state (the Central bank) is printing more money.

Is it free money, never to be repaid?

Yes, often so. Not always though. Sometimes the state wants shares of companies. And sometimes it's loans (with favorable conditions).

The US has been off the gold standard since Nixon paid off the Viet Nam war by opening up the printing presses and printing new money. Same thing is happening here.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 7, 2020 21:28

I have quite a few grocery stores in my area, living in an urban area just half an hour drive from the capital city Oslo. I choose between two favorite ones, one is the local budget one, the other is wider selection and 20% more expensive.

The full feature slightly higher price supermarket is my favorite. I go there in the morning at 8am, when they open. It is almost empty then, lots of space. They have water and soap for washing hands, and lots of antibacterial liquid bottles both at the entrance and at the exit. I pick my own stuff. Then I use self service cash registers, there are 8 or so, usually all are available. They have a great selection, and I do my shopping without anyone touching any of my grocery items, my payment card, receipt or anything else.

The local store is a budget one, still lots of space. They have these 1m spacer tapes in front of the cash register. Same with other stores. I use to leave an extra empty 1m spacer in front of me, just to make 2m i.e. 6 ft. This budget store don't have any self service cash register, so the price of the lower cost of milk and bread etc is the fact that they touch and scan all my items. When I get home I keep all items on a special home quarantine place for 3-4 days, then most of the theoretical virus would be dead anyway. Items for the fridge or freezer are washed with warm water just to be on the safe side. I know it is sort of paranoia, but better safe than sorry.

I don't think shopping is any danger to the spread of the virus, as long as people keep a distance. The virus spread in Norway has gone down dramatically since the lockdown 8 weeks ago. It is the concept of distance 2m i.e. 6 ft that is the most important of anything. Then the wash hands often and properly with soap. Then do not hug, do not shake hands. These cheap and easy to do rules make 75% of the virus security. Shopping is not that dangerous, but if I lived on Manhattan, or Stockholm, I would be more careful, as there is a lot more virus around in the big cities

I carry my own little antibacterial bottle at all times in my pocket. I use it when I have to touch something, like a keyboard for parking, or a door handle used by others, or public toilets. Last week I got hold of a large 500 ml i.e. one pint of refill antibacterial bottle, sold out for a long time, so now I can use all the antibacterial liquid I need.

The most important rule is that people who feel just a little bit sick stay at home. Then if they still feel bad after 2-3 days, they should get a test. In my town Asker of 100,000 people, they will have a test capacity of 4,500 people every week now. I.e. they may test 5% of the population every week, and the result should be there same day usually. That means a lot in taking control of the virus, and making the population safe. You might say it is a bit more relaxing to do the shopping, and to walk outside, knowing that there are very few cases around, and the fact that most cases are already located, and in quarantine.

Bjornulf

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 7, 2020 21:30

American's are blowing a gasket over YouTube banning/removing/censoring PLANDEMIC: apparently they like being lied to.

It's full of lies. Alternative facts.

Blows my mind.

Date: May 7, 2020 21:34

Why People Cling To Conspiracy Theories Like ‘Plandemic’ (Forbes May 7, 2020)

Don't even think about posting that stuff here, please.

Bjornulf

Date: May 7, 2020 21:37

TheGreek
In my neck of the woods (NY) the # are spiking with the non essential workers who are supposed to be staying home . On the news last night it reported that essential workers ( like me ) are not spiking in transmissions , it's the ones that are home and supposed to be staying safe . Can you believe that ? It's like party time for them or something . Then our most vulnerable part of our population our seniors in Nursing homes are being infected and dying at high #, due to empty beds being used in Nursing homes to care for those infected . A close friend of mine whose mother is in one of these Nursing homes is frightened like you would not believe for his Mom and Families are not allowed to Visit and he can only talk to her on the phone . Her Family is very terrified for her health and well being .

My dad had a stroke in January and is now in one of these facilities (though not NY). The stroke has impaired his speech (so we can't even call him), his right arm (and he's right handed), and he can no longer walk. It scares the hell out of me. We did arrange a Skype call so he knows we didn't abandon him, and have another scheduled this weekend.

He was taking care of my mom who we now know (and already suspected) is in early Alzheimers, which we were close to getting her into assisted living in the same community my dad is in, and that fell through when the virus hit, which I guess is good and bad but we're all taking care of her and some of us aren't able to work from home.

It's really been a sh!tty year for my family.

Date: May 7, 2020 21:41

My wife asked me this morning:

"Why don't you just close down IORR, or leave it to others?"

It takes so much time. I should have closed the whole thing down, may be. I was just out for a short while now, and arriving back to the PC there is a bunch of Trump posts, even if I said many many times there is no room for Trump or Biden or any other politics talks here.

Bjornulf

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 7, 2020 21:56

Then end it. No one is forcing you to continue.

You make comments like this, from time to time. Your wife seems to be noticing something. Why do you continue?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 7, 2020 22:06

Salon Hair owner freed by Texas Supreme Court- YYYYYEEEESSSSS!!!!!

[www.foxnews.com]

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 7, 2020 22:16

jumpontopofmebaby
bv
I would love to be called a redneck or a hillbilly or a nerd or whatever, just to take the load and the stigma off the name calling. I think it is stupid to put labels on people, especially if it is done in in a negative way.

Anyway, who are we to talk about hillbillies? Many of us are in the 60's or even 70's, and we go to more than one show with a band in their 70's. Nerd? Sure I am. I don't really care. I just love the Stones.

We are all different in our own way. But we all love the Stones. That's what brought us here.

If we were at a Stones concert together and not on this board we would not care who voted for who or where someone lived.

We would just be all smiles sharing a great time together!

This is true and it’s good to be reminded what all of us on this board have in common. By the way the first show of the 2020 tour would
have been tomorrow!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 7, 2020 22:25

Paul McCartney has now finally cancelled his FRESHEN-UP-Tour - [www.PaulMcCartney.com] .

Date: May 7, 2020 22:41

kovach
TheGreek
In my neck of the woods (NY) the # are spiking with the non essential workers who are supposed to be staying home . On the news last night it reported that essential workers ( like me ) are not spiking in transmissions , it's the ones that are home and supposed to be staying safe . Can you believe that ? It's like party time for them or something . Then our most vulnerable part of our population our seniors in Nursing homes are being infected and dying at high #, due to empty beds being used in Nursing homes to care for those infected . A close friend of mine whose mother is in one of these Nursing homes is frightened like you would not believe for his Mom and Families are not allowed to Visit and he can only talk to her on the phone . Her Family is very terrified for her health and well being .

My dad had a stroke in January and is now in one of these facilities (though not NY). The stroke has impaired his speech (so we can't even call him), his right arm (and he's right handed), and he can no longer walk. It scares the hell out of me. We did arrange a Skype call so he knows we didn't abandon him, and have another scheduled this weekend.

He was taking care of my mom who we now know (and already suspected) is in early Alzheimers, which we were close to getting her into assisted living in the same community my dad is in, and that fell through when the virus hit, which I guess is good and bad but we're all taking care of her and some of us aren't able to work from home.

It's really been a sh!tty year for my family.

Sorry to hear what you are going through. Hoping for the best. Wish there was something we could do.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 7, 2020 22:43

bv
My wife asked me this morning:

"Why don't you just close down IORR, or leave it to others?"

It takes so much time. I should have closed the whole thing down, may be. I was just out for a short while now, and arriving back to the PC there is a bunch of Trump posts, even if I said many many times there is no room for Trump or Biden or any other politics talks here.

I guess where there's a serious pandemic, which the various governments of the world are trying to organise the societies to deal with that, with different methods, it's inevitable, because the governments are made up of politicians that there is going to be a lot of crossover by the people observing and commenting on the medical and political aspects of that process.

If it was me in charge I think I might just have a Sticky: - Political thread - this thread is XXX rated - do not enter if you are easily offended" ........................and then just wash your hands of it.
Then, if someone sends a complaint that someone else has been nasty to them or their chosen politician, just either, don't reply, or - reply "Tough luck - read the thread header".

Could free up some of your time...............(personally, I really hope you don't close down - this is the best site I've found on the internet for all the skirmishes now and again.............so, thanks for persevering........thumbs up

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 22:50 by EddieByword.

Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: May 7, 2020 22:54

bv
arriving back to the PC there is a bunch of Trump posts, even if I said many many times there is no room for Trump or Biden or any other politics talks here.
Mine was a joke actually but never mind.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 7, 2020 22:54

First: Kovach, I know what you are talking about. My father suffered a stroke also (he is not with us anymore). Take care. Be strong. Do the best you can. Best wishes.

Second: The US internal debate has taken over this thread now. Which makes it a bit harder for a non-US citizen (like I) to navigate in. Where did all the Europeans go?

Date: May 7, 2020 23:03

Stoneage
The US internal debate has taken over this thread now. Which makes it a bit harder for a non-US citizen (like I) to navigate in. Where did all the Europeans go?

Seems to me that many of the Europeans and those from other places in the world who post in this thread have been in on the "US internal debate" since this thread began.
Guess that's due to the US leadership (or lack thereof), and the implications it might have for the rest of the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 23:07 by Hairball.

Date: May 7, 2020 23:06

The virus will be around for at least a year, so I will keep the thread open as long as it takes. As long as the virus mess up the Stones touring plans it will be important to understand, talk and express opinions here. Also, the virus mess a lot other things, so it is important we can talk here without fighting.

Bjornulf

Date: May 7, 2020 23:22

In Holland festivals like Pinkpop or the North Sea Jazz Festival are not allowed until there's a vaccin, which can take several years. I assume this rule applies for other civilised countries as well. Not a nice future for live acts and festivals. It's horrible actually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 23:32 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: May 7, 2020 23:25

[www.yahoo.com]

Maybe Virus was here in December

Also I can't find it now. But I have seen twice an article that state two thirds of the people being admitted to the hospitals in New York are people that have been staying at home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 23:26 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Date: May 7, 2020 23:32

[www.nbcnews.com]

A 'shocking' two-thirds of patients recently hospitalized in NY had been staying home

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...134135136137138139140141142143144...LastNext
Current Page: 139 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home