Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...132133134135136137138139140141142...LastNext
Current Page: 137 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 7, 2020 02:48

From the red side of my state...

‘We were at a COVID party’: People hold coronavirus gatherings in Walla Walla area

WALLA WALLA — Some people are intentionally flouting health recommendations by exposing themselves and others to COVID-19 in Walla Walla County, officials said.

Meghan DeBolt, director of the county’s Department of Community Health, told the Union-Bulletin that contact tracing has revealed that some are attending parties with the idea that it is better to get sick with the virus and get it over with.

New positive test results in the county have resulted from such gatherings, she said.

“We ask about contacts, and there are 25 people because: ‘We were at a COVID party,’ ” DeBolt said.
[www.seattletimes.com]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 7, 2020 03:05

So I am guessing that people who respond to President Trump's latest call by thinking of themselves as "warriors" are assuming that they and their families won't be part of the human cost of opening up sooner rather than later? But if they do end up as a statistic, are they also OK with that? I don't know, but maybe they are.

Edit: Just saw MrDDDD's post above, which seems to go some way towards answering my question!

Personally, I cannot wrap my head around that kind of thinking, though on the other hand, I remember as a child that we were encouraged to visit friends who were sick with such things as scarlet fever, measles and chicken pox so that we might catch the disease, get immunity and have it over and done with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 03:14 by Beast.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 7, 2020 03:33

Just a matter of time before the so-called "warriors" find out the truth of the matter Beast.

They're like guinea pigs in an evil experiment that they've willingly volunteered for, but unfortunately they'll also drag down some of the innocent/cooperative/cautious ones in the process.
With that in mind, and whether they realize it or not, they're sort of like kamikazes...

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 7, 2020 07:28

MisterDDDD
From the red side of my state...

‘We were at a COVID party’: People hold coronavirus gatherings in Walla Walla area

WALLA WALLA — Some people are intentionally flouting health recommendations by exposing themselves and others to COVID-19 in Walla Walla County, officials said.

Meghan DeBolt, director of the county’s Department of Community Health, told the Union-Bulletin that contact tracing has revealed that some are attending parties with the idea that it is better to get sick with the virus and get it over with.

New positive test results in the county have resulted from such gatherings, she said.

“We ask about contacts, and there are 25 people because: ‘We were at a COVID party,’ ” DeBolt said.
[www.seattletimes.com]

Why does the healthcare system have to treat these people. If someone is this stupid the healthcare workers should not have to risk their lives to treat these asshats.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 7, 2020 08:36

I don't want any Biden/Trump discussions here. They will be deleted. Same with quoting any such posts. No politics.

Bjornulf

Date: May 7, 2020 08:39

Coronavirus: Germany's Bundesliga to resume this month, says Angela Merkel (BBC 6 May 2020)

The German Bundesliga season can resume this month, Chancellor Angela Merkel has confirmed.

It will become the first major league in Europe to return to competition, with a date for resumption to be confirmed by the German Football League (DFL) on Thursday.

All matches will be played behind closed doors.

With nine games remaining, Bayern Munich are top of the table, four points above Borussia Dortmund.

Bjornulf

Posted by: curt ()
Date: May 7, 2020 08:49

Two McDonald's customers arrested for shooting workers after being told to leave due to COVID-19 restrictions.

News station video report

Date: May 7, 2020 11:37

curt
Two McDonald's customers arrested for shooting workers after being told to leave due to COVID-19 restrictions.

There is no surprise that people shoot to kill others in USA, for whatever reason they might have. I don't think this is related to the Corona virus, more than other reasons why people use guns to express anger.

Some years ago I remember car drivers in California were shot on highways if they did something wrong in traffic, like showing the finger, honking the horn or something to other drivers. Guns were used to express anger.

It might easily turn into political posts, if we were to report on every shooting in USA with a reference to the corona virus lockdown rules. Don't be surprised if I have to delete such posts, as we can't really discuss the US weapon policy here. Sure I am concerned about these shootings, but I do expect more shootings to happen, and having these posted here will probably end up in political fights here.

Gun Violence in America: A State-by-State Analysis (americanprogress.org)

More than 342,439 people were shot to death in the United States from 2008 through 2017, meaning that a person is killed with a gun in this country every 15 minutes.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 11:38 by bv.

Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: May 7, 2020 11:59

Beast
I remember as a child that we were encouraged to visit friends who were sick with such things as scarlet fever, measles and chicken pox so that we might catch the disease, get immunity and have it over and done with.

The idea in itself is not so stupid, Boris Johnson's original plan here in the UK was pretty much that (which is maybe why the idiot went round shaking hands in a hospital). The difference with this virus though, is that it is a novel virus, nobody has immunity to start with. In the case of measles and the like, most of the adult population and the older kids were already immune so it was never going to go exponential. In fact it was probably not even going to spread beyond the local community. We also knew a lot more about the diseases, and what to expect. This is a very different situation, people don't really know what they are letting themselves in for, and they don't know how much their actions are going to impact the broader community. One of the big problems with it is the asymptomatic transmission.

It is also not safe to assume that we will get immunity by contracting the virus anyway. There seems to be a lot of doubt in the scientific community about that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 12:16 by JimmyShelter.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 7, 2020 12:31

Italy is gradually opening up.

What has changed since the lock down of 2 months ago?

Nothing more than less pressure on hospitals and general awareness that the virus is not a joke. I should add use of masks, but 90% of the masks that I see around are the low protection ones, or are self made, so I don't know how that counts).

C

Date: May 7, 2020 12:55

liddas
Italy is gradually opening up.

What has changed since the lock down of 2 months ago?

Nothing more than less pressure on hospitals and general awareness that the virus is not a joke. I should add use of masks, but 90% of the masks that I see around are the low protection ones, or are self made, so I don't know how that counts).

C

I do understand your concern. Opening up is for sure scary.
Still, according to the numbers, the virus is down in Italy.
The peak number of daily cases were on March 21 : 6,500
This week the daily cases is down to an average of : 1,500
Daily deaths in Italy was as much as 900, now down to 300.

I guess they have a plan of opening up very slowly, and lots of testing/tracing?

WORLD / COUNTRIES / ITALY by Worldometers

Bjornulf

Date: May 7, 2020 13:03

There are no quick fix corona virus solutions. We have to live with the virus until there is a vaccine.

By slowly opening up, and with proper distancing and testing/tracing, we may live with a minimum of virus around for a long time, until the vaccine is available.

Bjornulf

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 7, 2020 13:06

Disturbing story about mystery illness affecting children in NYC area that may be tied to COVID-19.

Mystery children's illness

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 7, 2020 13:08

bv
There are no quick fix corona virus solutions. We have to live with the virus until there is a vaccine.

By slowly opening up, and with proper distancing and testing/tracing, we may live with a minimum of virus around for a long time, until the vaccine is available.

... or until an effective (& proven) treatment is developed.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 7, 2020 13:22

In my neck of the woods (NY) the # are spiking with the non essential workers who are supposed to be staying home . On the news last night it reported that essential workers ( like me ) are not spiking in transmissions , it's the ones that are home and supposed to be staying safe . Can you believe that ? It's like party time for them or something . Then our most vulnerable part of our population our seniors in Nursing homes are being infected and dying at high #, due to empty beds being used in Nursing homes to care for those infected . A close friend of mine whose mother is in one of these Nursing homes is frightened like you would not believe for his Mom and Families are not allowed to Visit and he can only talk to her on the phone . Her Family is very terrified for her health and well being .

Date: May 7, 2020 14:11

CaptainCorella
bv

... or until an effective (& proven) treatment is developed.

I don't think I would cross the street on a red light, as a car is approaching fast, just because they have great news about saving people's lives through surgery for pedestrians being hit by a car.

Antiviral solutions currently under test, through the WHO project SOLIDARITY, might save some lives, but nobody, except for over-optimistic political leaders, are saying these drugs will end the corona virus crisis anywhere soon.

WHO launches global megatrial of the four most promising coronavirus treatments (Science)

Bjornulf

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 7, 2020 14:37

In Texas Judge tried to make a salon admit that she was selfish for opening her hair salon. She said would not because trying to feed her children is not selfish. Crazy Judge sentenced her to jail for 7 days and fined her $7,000. A lot of folks are mad - Selfishness is not a crime -

Video of Judge and Salon owner verbal exchange is included in article.

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick defends jailed salon owner: ‘She should be home for Mother’s Day’

[www.foxnews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 14:38 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 7, 2020 15:03

bv
curt

There is no surprise that people shoot to kill others in USA, for whatever reason they might have. I don't think this is related to the Corona virus, more than other reasons why people use guns to express anger.

Some years ago I remember car drivers in California were shot on highways if they did something wrong in traffic, like showing the finger, honking the horn or something to other drivers. Guns were used to express anger.

It might easily turn into political posts, if we were to report on every shooting in USA with a reference to the corona virus lockdown rules. Don't be surprised if I have to delete such posts, as we can't really discuss the US weapon policy here. Sure I am concerned about these shootings, but I do expect more shootings to happen, and having these posted here will probably end up in political fights here.

Gun Violence in America: A State-by-State Analysis (americanprogress.org)

More than 342,439 people were shot to death in the United States from 2008 through 2017, meaning that a person is killed with a gun in this country every 15 minutes.

It seems people are just more rude now than ever, and it seems to correlate with the start of Reality TV which tends to show the worst in society (so now everyone thinks that's the way to act), and the feeling of anonymity on social media where people say things online they normally wouldn't say in person though it now seems to be happening. Everyones easily annoyed, everyone's in a hurry, and everything's major, there's no minor annoyances or inconvenience anymore with some people.

Date: May 7, 2020 15:05

Chris Fountain
In Texas Judge tried to make a salon admit that she was selfish for opening her hair salon. She said would not because trying to feed her children is not selfish. Crazy Judge sentenced her to jail for 7 days and fined her $7,000. A lot of folks are mad - Selfishness is not a crime -

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick defends jailed salon owner: ‘She should be home for Mother’s Day’

[www.foxnews.com]

If others might die of that selfishness, it can be a crime? smiling smiley

Date: May 7, 2020 15:30

DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain

[www.foxnews.com]

Excellent point! It depends how she is running her Salon

Yesterday after six -seven weeks I finally got a hair cut. trimming eyebrows and shaving the back of my neck. Prior to the haircut I called my barber, and he told me to park in the back of the store. He had the Front windows closed with shutters. He only charges $15 but I gave him $40 for his bravery and to keep his business going. Also it felt great to get a haircut and I feel normal again. We both wore a mask I do not know if we were selfish as we were practicing safety measures. Stuart, Florida

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 15:32 by Chris Fountain.

Date: May 7, 2020 15:38

Chris Fountain

[www.foxnews.com]

Selfishness is not a crime.

Defying State orders and ripping up Cease-and-Desist letters from a judge in front of the media, then defying them, most definitely are.
Even then, the judge stated that all she has to do is apologize, and promise to abide by the law, and she would be released.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 7, 2020 15:39

Ok, as I do maybe once a week, I ordered carryout from our local favorite restaurant which happens to make a great pizza,

They've set up a great system for payment and to bring the food to your car.

This time they said come in and give us your name and we'll give you your food. It kind of shocked me. The restaurant was open, every other table was closed, bar stools spaced 6 ft per pair. I couldn't help myself and had a cold draft beer while I waited. It felt good but weird and a little scary all at the same time.

Date: May 7, 2020 15:42

Chris Fountain
DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain

[www.foxnews.com]

Yesterday after six -seven weeks I finally got a hair cut. trimming eyebrows and shaving the back of my neck. Prior to the haircut I called my barber, and he told me to park in the back of the store. He had the Front windows closed with shutters. He only charges $15 but I gave him $40 for his bravery and to keep his business going. Also it felt great to get a haircut and I feel normal again. We both wore a mask I do not know if we were selfish as we were practicing safety measures. Stuart, Florida

It was not selfish. The people that came to see her made their own decisions. She need the money to provide for her family. Same as the judge. That showed up for work. I guess he is selfish also then.

Date: May 7, 2020 15:44

jumpontopofmebaby
Chris Fountain
DandelionPowderman
Chris Fountain

[www.foxnews.com]

It was not selfish. The people that came to see her made their own decisions. She need the money to provide for her family. Same as the judge. That showed up for work. I guess he is selfish also then.

So, long live the anarchy, during a pandemic?

Date: May 7, 2020 15:48

MisterDDDD
Chris Fountain

[www.foxnews.com]

Defying State orders and ripping up Cease-and-Desist letters from a judge in front of the media, then defying them, most definitely are.
Even then, the judge stated that all she has to do is apologize, and promise to abide by the law, and she would be released.

Maybe I should turn myself in as I broke the rules yesterday by getting a haircut. By the Way - In Massachusetts, if you do not wear a mask a $1000 fine will be levied. Source:- Fox TV News Morning Show

Date: May 7, 2020 15:51

Chris Fountain
MisterDDDD
Chris Fountain

[www.foxnews.com]

Maybe I should turn myself in as I broke the rules yesterday by getting a haircut. By the Way - In Massachusetts, if you do not wear a mask a $1000 fine will be levied. Source:- Fox TV News Morning Show

So..was the judge selfish for going to work? I am just wondering.

Date: May 7, 2020 15:52

jumpontopofmebaby

These are generally the same people who holler " all they had to do is listen to the police and not resist!" when an unarmed person is shot by an officer.

The people that attended Covid parties in my state also made their own decisions.
On average they then had contact with twenty-five people afterwards. Twenty five people exposed to the virus, who then have contact with twenty-five people each, who they then had contact with...
And then people who didn't decide to defy laws get sick and die, and as the numbers rise, we all have to start isolation measures from scratch.

Definitely selfish, but also ignorant.

Date: May 7, 2020 15:55

MisterDDDD
jumpontopofmebaby

These are generally the same people who holler " all they had to do is listen to the police and not resist!" when an unarmed person is shot by an officer.

The people that attended Covid parties in my state also made their own decisions.
On average they then had contact with twenty-five people afterwards. Twenty five people exposed to the virus, who then have contact with twenty-five people each, who they then had contact with...
And then people who didn't decide to defy laws get sick and die, and as the numbers rise, we all have to start isolation measures from scratch.

Why was ok for the judge and everyone else in the courtroom to go to work. Why was it ok to make her show up in a court room?

Date: May 7, 2020 15:57

jumpontopofmebaby
Chris Fountain
MisterDDDD
Chris Fountain

[www.foxnews.com]

So..was the judge selfish for going to work? I am just wondering.

Not at all as his job has been deemed essential, and it is.

Selfishness is defying the laws and isolation measures, for vanity.
I had a haircut yesterday too. Shaved neck, the whole bit and cheaper.
$35 for a set of clippers online, and I feel "normal" again eye rolling smiley

Date: May 7, 2020 15:59

jumpontopofmebaby
MisterDDDD
jumpontopofmebaby

Why was ok for the judge and everyone else in the courtroom to go to work. Why was it ok to make her show up in a court room?

They also placed her in a Covid-19 infested jail- the judge was selfish -Again if the salon was practicing safety measures then this is not selfish.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...132133134135136137138139140141142...LastNext
Current Page: 137 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1991
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home