Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...130131132133134135136137138139140...LastNext
Current Page: 135 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Date: May 6, 2020 17:31

EddieByword
jumpontopofmebaby
tumbled
I think a large part of the redneck problem in this country (US) is that people are not informed. The local newspapers have all gone out of business and they watch fox news for their information and are generally unable to form decisions for themselves, using sound bites for their decision making. Its very sad.

Redneck?

Please define.

My understanding is the term 'redneck' originated as a name for people who worked the fields - in the sun - and so, they literally had rednecks and were generally uneducated, (that's why they were in the fields and not a doctor or another skilled professional) so, the term redneck and not being very bright became associated. Now of course, with there being a lot less manual work in the fields the term just, generally, refers to rednecks........grinning smiley

Well I work in the office. But I like getting a red neck and a farmers tan this time of the year!

Date: May 6, 2020 17:34

Chris Fountain
I pee off my back deck.

Now that is an enjoyable activity! Aint good Much!!!

The truth be known. I also pee off my front porch just a often!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 6, 2020 17:35

This is tricky. Whether we like it or not our political standpoints will be visible when we discuss this phenomena. Even if we try to leave politics out. And we tend to think that our standpoint is neutral while others are not. The US political context, which is very visible here, is mostly incomprehensible for us Europeans. And vice versa. To me it would be very interesting to sort out these things. Because I'm interested in geopolitics. But the moderator wouldn't allow it. So, there we are.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 6, 2020 17:41

jumpontopofmebaby
EddieByword
jumpontopofmebaby
tumbled
I think a large part of the redneck problem in this country (US) is that people are not informed. The local newspapers have all gone out of business and they watch fox news for their information and are generally unable to form decisions for themselves, using sound bites for their decision making. Its very sad.

Redneck?

Please define.

My understanding is the term 'redneck' originated as a name for people who worked the fields - in the sun - and so, they literally had rednecks and were generally uneducated, (that's why they were in the fields and not a doctor or another skilled professional) so, the term redneck and not being very bright became associated. Now of course, with there being a lot less manual work in the fields the term just, generally, refers to rednecks........grinning smiley

Well I work in the office. But I like getting a red neck and a farmers tan this time of the year!

1. Factor 50 unless you want cancer as well as getting Corona-ed ....

2. Well, I doubt you're are alone in that............although for me, I was taught that the 'Speed limit' is not a target especially if utilising it could endanger someone else.............

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 6, 2020 17:42

CaptainCorella
bv

These days are unreal. We are all in the same boat. You may compare the world to a large ferry, or Noah's Ark. We have sections in this boat like separating people and countries, but really, we are in the same boat. Then some hate to be in this boat so they start a fire to get off it. May be they are restless, may be they have lost their income and work. Then others try to stop these people from putting on fires.

Now I'm really bothered.

We're all on one big cruise ship! Ruby Princess anyone?

[www.abc.net.au]

One event linked to about one third of the deaths in Australia.

What's getting said a lot in the UK is that we are all in the same storm, but we are not all in the same boat - some have a luxury yacht and some have a leaky rowing boat.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 6, 2020 17:48

This is my first daily life report in three weeks time here. We are eight weeks into the lockdown in Norway, eight weeks since people went mad for canned food and toilet paper. The following is life as it is today, as seen from my home, my garden, from the area I walk, from my local city Asker, and from our lockdown life.

It is Wednesday May 6 today. I should have been in San Diego CA USA now. Yesterday and today I should have been enjoying The Rolling Stones doing dress rehearsals at the SDCCU Stadium in San Diego. The set list would have be ready, and fans would have been arriving into San Diego, for the show on May 8. The virus took the tour away from us, but I am sure there will be another tour in 2022.

For the first few weeks I was kind of scared when doing my weekly shopping at 8am Friday morning. Now everything is more relaxed here. I did my shopping at 8am this Wednesday morning, no worries. May be I can go shopping two times per week. The bread is taste better when it is fresh.

There is virtually no corona virus around. People have been loyal to the lockdown regulations. While we had 300 new corona cases per day a month ago, we are now down to less than 50 cases per day. A brand new report from Denmark, which is very much like Norway as for the virus fight and lockdown, is saying the virus will go away this summer. Then we will have another wave later. So we will have a summer with not so many worries.

The sun is shining nine out of ten days now. Spring time is so great. Oslo is our capital city, being hit hard by the virus, like most large cities with a complete and packed subway system. Oslo city closed beer sales at the start of the lockdown. Spring time and sun time is beer time in Norway. We drink the "utepils", which means "outdoor beer". Even if ther might have been snow today, like we have some times in May, we would still have our utepils in May, just with extra cloths. This morning at 8am marked a milestone for the opening up for many - it is now legal to serve utepils in Oslo, i.e. beer, but only at places also serving food. So people will eat a lot of snacks, and enjoy the beer in the sun.

I follow a few press conferences every day. At 2pm there is the press conference in Sweden. Then at 4pm we have the daily one in Norway. Then I use to follow Gov Cuomo on CNN at the daily New York press briefings, usually at 5:30pm our time. NRK is our main public TV, their main channel broadcast news about the corona crisis all day, from early morning until 8pm. For the first few weeks, there were no news at all except for Corona Norway news. Then for some weeks now they have been reporting from Europe, USA and other areas. Last week we even got some non-corona news, but still I would say 70% of all news are corona virus related.

I am lucky to be able to do my work from home. It does not matter if I am in San Diego or at home in Asker. Still, I will miss the tour and The Stones, and I will miss friends and fans. Meeting up with others is half the fun of touring, then the pure magic during the two hours the Stones are on stage are of course worth every flight every day every mile on travel around.

I have been on tour during April/May for some years now. Even if it is great to follow the Stones during rehearsals and shows, my favorite month is May. Spring time, 17. Mai, the leaves on the trees go green, and the gardens blossom. The snow is gone, and summer is here. If we forget about the corona virus for a while, mother nature is the same every year, and every single May day is different, with new flowers, our local swan couple by the lake nurse their eggs, and allergies are around, like every spring.

Corona virus posters: The pharmacies, shops and hospitals do still display their original posters made months ago, when the virus was not here, but it was expected incoming, from China, or from Italy one day. The pictures I have posted are from our nearby hospital, where my father worked as a gardener, here I was born and raised. I walk by there every week. The other picture is from one of the local pharmacies, which was closed for some weeks, but last week it was back in business. One day these posters will be found in museums, telling the story of the virus which locked down the world in 2020.

Asker Skolekorps is the name of the school music group I was part of age 10-15. I played the big drum and the cymbals. Every school in Norway used to have their own band of youth musicians, and during spring we started marching, preparing for our big day of the year "17. mai". Our constitution was signed on 17 May 1814. This year we are not allowed to celebrate 17. mai like we use to do, with big parades of "skolekorps" and children, but as the rule of distance was changed from 2m into 1m (6ft into 3ft) this week, it is now possible for school bands to march and play. Yesterday my "skolekorps" did a surprise appearance in our local city Asker, as our mayor had 50th birthday, so they did a surprise "concert" outside our town hall, then they marched through the Asker city center, all the time with 1m distance. It was so great to see these kids marching, and one of my grandchildren was marching in the skolekorps, like I did 50+ years ago.

Spring flowers are so great! Our cherry tree were in full bloom 1-2 weeks ago. Two weeks ago I had one dandelion in my garden. Now there are hundreds, they multiply like the corona virus... My favorite spring flower Marianøkleblom a.k.a. Cowslip a.k.a. Primula Veris is finally seen. Ulike other spring flowers, it is not as easy to find, but I know where the few ones are, and I look for them every day every week, and now they are here, next week they are gone.

The big ash tree which is located next to the large chestnut tree at the mental hospital area where I grew up is still not carrying any leaves. Ash and oak trees are very late, but they are both coming now, in a week or two. Then many houses in our area are hidden by all the trees. Normally 17. May is a day with light green trees, some times very cold, some times warmer. If the corona virus make you depressed, I would recommend a walk into the fields with flowers and trees. Smell the spring, see the summer coming, one day the Stones will be on tour, but not right now.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 6, 2020 17:53

A different perspective on reopening after lockdown: what is being suggested here is that society and business can start reopening fairly soon - but the price for this will be that those classed as vulnerable because of health issues, and everyone over 70 regardless of their health, will be put into a "beefed-up lockdown" where they have to remain inside their homes, not allowed to go out or receive visitors, for ... how long? Until there is a vaccine? Until they die of boredom and depression? For their own protection and the good of society in general, of course. The suggestion appears to be that society can manage very well without us, so it's our duty to get out of the way and stay in house arrest for years if necessary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-06 17:54 by Green Lady.

Date: May 6, 2020 18:01

I don't know what a "redneck" is, but this is what the dictionary is saying:

"a poor white person without education, especially one living in the countryside in the southern US, who has prejudiced (= unfair and unreasonable) ideas and beliefs"

So it is not nice to name call anyone "redneck".

Please let us be nice. No need for name calling here.

Bjornulf

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 6, 2020 18:04

bitusa2012
Aquamarine
bitusa2012
jumpontopofmebaby
And those people need to stay home etc.

Do what you feel is best for you

For me. It really is that simple

But THIS is the problem with the non-mandatory lockdown. Doing what you FEEL is best for you can and DOES effect OTHERS. Say you WANT to go out...

[www.businessinsider.com.au]

370 employees just going out...none feeling ill. Mingling with others who just want to go out because they are fed up being in lockdown. ALL are ILL and now they're spreading it....

It really is NOT that simple...

My simplistic take is that someone else's right to go out ends where the possibility of infecting someone else begins.

But if you don't KNOW you can infect others? My simplistic take is that lockdowns should continue everywhere UNTIL there is no way/chance someone CAN infect others.

I return to my initial Civil Liberty versus Civic Responsibility.

Unfortunately some people don't care about anyone but themselves. This discussion demonstrates that and unfortunately innocent people are dying because someone feels it is their civil liberty to do what they want without regards than others.

What they do not realize is the economy, their jobs and their way of life will not return to normal as long as the majority of people are concerned about going out. What happens then is people are forced to go out to work and risk infection because these irresponsible people have forced the issue.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 6, 2020 18:06

Alan Partridge ....On hygiene and in the second half.....coping when out and about............[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 6, 2020 18:08

swimtothemoon
bitusa2012
Rockman
Land of the Free and Naive .....

Yeah. Staggering.

I have a friend in Nashville. 3 weeks laid up with the virus in his basement. Thinks Trump is ok. I ask why? He says, well he's better that the other guy.

Cant actually reason as to why Trump is ok though. Just goes on about "Crooked Hillary" and "Sleepy Joe" - can't even reason for himself!

He's come out of his basement - he lives in a rural community - and goes to town and buys some guns.......

Not everyone in the US are like your friend in Nashville. The people whom
are seem to have one thing in common and that is they only watch one News
Source and that is Fox News - whom supports anything the President does or
says. This news station attacks anyone whom has the guts to question or
speak critically of the President. This alone must intimidate many from
speaking out and can destroy those that do. The President appears to work very closely with this particular news network and he demonizes all other networks by claiming they only report “fake news”.

This relationship works great for this network and works great for this President.

All the other major news sources ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, CNN, etc. seem to do their best to report accurately. They use multiple sources and when they do report something which latter proves to be inaccurate - most will correct their reporting. They each have a bit of bias but all seem to report basically the same news stories. Multiple independent news outlets reporting
the same news should have a better chance of accuracy as opposed to one
news outlet whom seems to be consistently reporting much different political
news.

Personally I think it’s dangerous to receive your news and opinions from
only one source. Multiple news sources will allow a person to form their own opinion. Also, if someone is telling you only one news source is accurate and all others are fake - then you should be very suspicious of their motives and the accuracy of what they are reporting.

With this pandemic it has become very important to be sure we are all
confident in the accuracy of the information we are receiving. Important
for ourselves and those around us.

This is just my observation and I don’t mean to offend anyone whom is a
fan of Fox News. We all have different opinions and preferences - which is a good thing not a bad thing.

100% agreement on this. Most Americans are not like this. Unfortunately 30% (Trump base) fit this bill and they are the ones showing up to protest with guns, MAGA hats and confederate flags.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 6, 2020 18:09

Wonderful Pictures! What is common wildlife in those parts?

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: May 6, 2020 18:12

which is precisely what I was saying with background before you deleted my post .

Date: May 6, 2020 18:15

jumpontopofmebaby
tumbled

Redneck?

Please define.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Listening to Ted Nugent and drinking Busch Lite hmmmm. I guess using that definition, anyone who smokes weed and likes jam bands is a hippie. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-06 18:21 by daspyknows.

Date: May 6, 2020 18:22

daspyknows
jumpontopofmebaby
tumbled

Redneck?

Please define.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Listening to Ted Nugent and drinking Busch Lite hmmmm. I guess using that definition, anyone who smokes weed and likes jam bands is a hippie. cool smiley

Then I guess I am a redneck hippie

Date: May 6, 2020 18:34

jumpontopofmebaby
daspyknows
jumpontopofmebaby
tumbled

Redneck?

Please define.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Then I guess I am a redneck hippie

FYI.

Watched Sammy Hagars Road Trip show last weekend. He visited Ted Nugent. At the end of the show Sammy asked Ted who his favorite guitar player was. Ted said Keith Richards!

Kinda cool since Ted claims to have never drank or done any drugs in 71 years.
Based his opinion on the music not the person.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-06 18:41 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: May 6, 2020 18:47

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 6, 2020 19:01

Hmmm....I keep reading LOTS of complaining about the "MAGA" folks showing up to protest....which is fine w/ me...

Folks don't like the protests/gatherings b/c they are bad for public health...I get that....

however, the complaining about "dangerous" (or "stupid") behavior is so one-sided, it's ridiculous....

I have yet to see anybody complain about Brooklyn:

[www.nytimes.com]

or the rest of New York City (aka "The Epicenter"):

[nymag.com]

(I wonder if the guy in the Banana Hammock is a MAGA Dude? Doubt it)

or Massachusetts:

[www.boston25news.com]

Massachusetts and NYC aren't exactly "MAGA Country"...and are these people not JUST as ignorant as the protestors many are ranting against??

why do they not draw the same disdain and vitrol on this board?

I have no problem with a healthy discussion about the problems of large-gatherings during a pandemic....but, at least be balanced about it and stop making it out like the problem is SOLELY gun-toting, "MAGA People"....

Sorry...but, packing public spaces to work on your tan is just as selfish (if not more) than going out to protest forced-government-closures as a violation of civil liberties....

Whatever....if you can't be balanced, at least Wear Ya Mask and Wash Ya Hands!

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 6, 2020 19:30

Randy Newman wrote an interesting song called “Rednecks” sung from the perspective of a Southern Redneck. It’s similar to Lynyrd Skynyrd writing “Sweet Home Alabama” as a response to Neil Young’s “Southern Man” and “Alabama”, in that these songs question the accuracy of someone from outside of the region telling people how it is there.

A nice solo live version of “Rednecks”:

[m.youtube.com]

The original studio version of “Rednecks” from his fantastic 1974 LP, “Good Old Boys”:

[m.youtube.com]

Some background on “Good Old Boys”:

[en.m.wikipedia.org])

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 6, 2020 19:31

bv
I don't know what a "redneck" is, but this is what the dictionary is saying:

"a poor white person without education, especially one living in the countryside in the southern US, who has prejudiced (= unfair and unreasonable) ideas and beliefs"

So it is not nice to name call anyone "redneck".

Please let us be nice. No need for name calling here.

It's one of those things that's an insult to some but others where it as a badge of honor.

It's somewhat similar to "hillbilly" if that helps.

Date: May 6, 2020 19:35

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-06 19:37 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Date: May 6, 2020 19:41

I always get a laugh out of the Glimmers’ stereotyping of good old boys on “Far Away Eyes”.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-06 19:42 by Javadave.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 6, 2020 19:52

I'm a High-Tech Redneck!!!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 6, 2020 20:11

Okay, shortly: The peculiar thing with "rednecks" is the fact that the lower classes (the proletariat or precariat) in the USA are right-wing as opposed to left-wing in Europe. And the higher classes are left-wing (from a US perspective. In Europe they are not left-wing at all). It's Marx' class theory turned upside down! We sent Joe Hill to the states to organize the working classes. He ended up before a firesquad. I think immigration will change this political landscape in the long run though.

Date: May 6, 2020 20:13

stickyfingers101
Hmmm....I keep reading LOTS of complaining about the "MAGA" folks showing up to protest....which is fine w/ me...

Folks don't like the protests/gatherings b/c they are bad for public health...I get that....

however, the complaining about "dangerous" (or "stupid") behavior is so one-sided, it's ridiculous....

I have yet to see anybody complain about Brooklyn:

[www.nytimes.com]

or the rest of New York City (aka "The Epicenter"):

[nymag.com]

(I wonder if the guy in the Banana Hammock is a MAGA Dude? Doubt it)

or Massachusetts:

[www.boston25news.com]

Massachusetts and NYC aren't exactly "MAGA Country"...and are these people not JUST as ignorant as the protestors many are ranting against??

why do they not draw the same disdain and vitrol on this board?

I have no problem with a healthy discussion about the problems of large-gatherings during a pandemic....but, at least be balanced about it and stop making it out like the problem is SOLELY gun-toting, "MAGA People"....

Sorry...but, packing public spaces to work on your tan is just as selfish (if not more) than going out to protest forced-government-closures as a violation of civil liberties....

Whatever....if you can't be balanced, at least Wear Ya Mask and Wash Ya Hands!

That is just as wrong. I have no issue with protesting but wear a mask, stay 6 feet apart, leave the guns home (that is intimidation not protesting) and take precautions to prevent potentially spreading the virus to others.

Whether this is a protest, going to the beach, going to the store, or any other thing don't be an a$$ and take the necessary precautions to not spread it to other people. Your right to liberty does not supersede mine or any other person's life. It is Life (1), Liberty (2) and Pursuit of Happiness (3) Not Liberty, Pursuit of Happiness and Life.

Date: May 6, 2020 20:14

Its it true rednecks don't get viruses they just get rashes?

Date: May 6, 2020 20:22

jumpontopofmebaby
Its it true rednecks don't get viruses they just get rashes?

I don't think the virus is checking on your way of life, manners, education, preferences, political status or anything like that. The virus is just happy with any body where it is great to stay. Just like a dog. It would jump any other dog during "breeding season"...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 6, 2020 20:25

jumpontopofmebaby
I listen to Ted Nugent

I live in the woods

I see deer and turkey daily

I have fishing ponds and a creek

I have a john deer gator and a dog

I plant a garden every year.

I pee off my back deck.

I drink bush light

I love the Rolling Stones

Am I a red neck?

Reminds me of the lyrics to one of those new country songs....smiling smiley

Date: May 6, 2020 20:31

Brovid-Country?

Date: May 6, 2020 20:34

Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby
I listen to Ted Nugent

I live in the woods

I see deer and turkey daily

I have fishing ponds and a creek

I have a john deer gator and a dog

I plant a garden every year.

I pee off my back deck.

I drink bush light

I love the Rolling Stones

Am I a red neck?

Reminds me of the lyrics to one of those new country songs....smiling smiley

Well you hurt my feelings....why could you not have said an old country song!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-06 20:46 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...130131132133134135136137138139140...LastNext
Current Page: 135 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1997
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home