Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...122123124125126127128129130131132...LastNext
Current Page: 127 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: cmc ()
Date: May 2, 2020 15:57

The state of New Mexico has isolated a city to "mitigate the uninhibited spread of Covid-19.”

The roads have been closed in/out of Gallup which is located west of Albuquerque fairly close to the Arizona border.

"The spread of this virus in McKinley County is frightful," Lujan Grisham said. "And it shows that physical distancing has not occurred and is not occurring. The virus is running amok there. It must be stopped, and stricter measures are necessary."

[news.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-02 16:03 by cmc.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 2, 2020 18:27

My wife and I practiced Social Distancing last night in bed. We both fell off the bed.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 2, 2020 18:59

jumpontopofmebaby
MisterDDDD
jumpontopofmebaby
Seems like it worked and is working in Sweden per the World Health Organization.

And yes I think it will work.

It is up to each person. Those who choose to venture out and about and don't do it safely then they will pay the price.

For those that do. Life goes on.

You cant punish everyone because of the people that don't get it.

You cant take away my car because my neighbor speeds or drives drunk.

You have to look out for number 1.

And it is time to get the show on the road.

This isn't "punishment".
This is everyone doing their part to stop the spread.

News flash- You are amongst the people that "don't get it".
Not rocket science at this point, people spread this virus person to person,
By continuing the isolation and distancing measures we can and are reducing the infected and death rate considerably,

Additionally, by "getting the show on the road" prematurely, we are almost guaranteeing that we will be starting this process again from near the starting line.

If you go out in public. Follow the guidelines be safe do what you have been told then you can still go out and also do you part to stop the spread.

Its time to let people make their own decisions.

Stupid if their own decisions put others at risk. No everyone KNOWS they have it. Let THEM go out in public and bingo...

Rod

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 2, 2020 19:29

I try to avoid political posting as I know BV doesn't like it and that's understandable.......but the amount of selfish, right wing thinking been spouted on here is shocking.

Watch the disaster unfolding in Brazil for a reality check.

I thought we in the UK were too slow to respond , but certain sections in the US take the prize for idiotic thinking.Trump is a danger to human life.

sc uk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-02 19:55 by straycatuk.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 2, 2020 19:59

straycatuk
I try to avoid political posting as I know BV doesn't like it and that's understandable.......but the amount of selfish, right wing thinking been spouted on here is shocking.

I thought we in the UK were too slow to respond , but certain sections in the US take the prize for idiotic thinking.Trump is a danger to human life.

sc uk

Appears to me the right wing thinking here is in the minority, and not sure why you'd want to "lower" yourself by insulting them with the "idiotic thinking" comment.
The way I see it, they should be allowed to be heard as much as anyone else (freedom of speech, etc.) within bv's guidelines of course.
If nothing else it's a good way of learning what NOT to do, and can reaffirm/strengthen personal opinions on various ideas, concepts, and beliefs.

Example: It's great idea to inject household disinfectants to fight the infection.
Reality/common sense: No it's absolutely not, and it never will be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-02 20:01 by Hairball.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 2, 2020 20:10

Some positive news: The reproduction factor (R) is now below 1,0 in Sweden. Which is a good thing. In Norway it's 0,7. Which, of course, is even better.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 2, 2020 20:19

straycatuk

sc uk

+1. I do find it interesting that Boris Johnson's perspective changed after being sick. Some of the right wingnuts on here and throughout the US show how self centered many Americans are. Too bad this virus can't only infect the virus deniers. Those are the people who will keep the curve going up. It has only been flattened in a few places.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 2, 2020 20:23

To be fair to the US - They might have they most deaths but by deaths per capita they are doing quite well compared with the bigger countries in Europe at least.

As of today the US has from a population of approx 330 million they have 66,359 deaths.

Add Italy, Spain, France, the UK and Germany together and you have 323 million and
you have 113,271 deaths......so. almost twice as many deaths from a very similar size population.

However, Germany has the best results from these selected countires. Italy, Spain, France, the UK have total deaths between 24 and 29 thousand from populations between 47 and 67 million. Germany has 'only' 6,736 thousand deaths from a population of 82 million, so a far smaller percentage of their population has died.
(If Germany's population was the same as the US (so x 4) that would equate with approx 27,000 deaths as opposed to 66,359...)

Having said that, I'm not sure if the US is as far along as Europe, maybe they've got more to come..........

[www.worldometers.info]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-02 20:34 by EddieByword.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 2, 2020 21:57

Hairball
straycatuk

sc uk

Appears to me the right wing thinking here is in the minority, and not sure why you'd want to "lower" yourself by insulting them with the "idiotic thinking" comment.
The way I see it, they should be allowed to be heard as much as anyone else (freedom of speech, etc.) within bv's guidelines of course.
If nothing else it's a good way of learning what NOT to do, and can reaffirm/strengthen personal opinions on various ideas, concepts, and beliefs.

Example: It's great idea to inject household disinfectants to fight the infection.
Reality/common sense: No it's absolutely not, and it never will be.

Crazies make the news, that's all.

Not every conservative in the US is marching into state capitals waving a gun around anymore than all liberals were burning down gas stations and busting business windows and looting during the Occupy Wall Street and Black Lives Matter movements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-02 23:14 by kovach.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 2, 2020 22:38

daspyknows
straycatuk

sc uk

+1. I do find it interesting that Boris Johnson's perspective changed after being sick. Some of the right wingnuts on here and throughout the US show how self centered many Americans are. Too bad this virus can't only infect the virus deniers. Those are the people who will keep the curve going up. It has only been flattened in a few places.

agreed. i find myself really struggling to bite my tongue so to speak. there is one party in particular who claimed to be more intelligent than everyone else on the board then proceeded to repeatedly demonstrate what t total moron they are. isn't it sad when cousins marry?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 2, 2020 23:17

DGA35
DGA35
DGA35
DGA35
So Texas and Vermont will partially reopen Monday. I forsee a large jump in cases, perhaps not so much in Vermont since it has a small population. Large cities like Houston and Dallas might turn into New Orleans with the number infected.
I take screen shots on my cell phone from the Fox News website which shows current world and US cases. On Friday morning the US had 672246 cases and 33288 deaths. Today, it stood at 755533 cases and 41379 deaths. 8091 reported deaths in 2 days. At this rate, they'll hit 60000 by next weekend if they don't flatten the curve. Who knows where it'll be the weekend after that.

Just to update my numbers from Sunday afternoon, things seemed to have slowed a bit down in the US. Current US figures are 852703 cases and 47750 deaths so 97152 new cases and 6371 deaths or a little over 2000 per day. At this rate, they'll hit mid 50's by Saturday.

Another update for tonight, US figures are now at 956000 cases and 54000 deaths so 103000 new cases and 6250 deaths so still a little over 2000 per day. The curve isn't flattening but not increasing either. US will hit a million cases by Monday and hit 60000 deaths by Tuesday at the current rate. A couple weeks from now we'll see if there's a spike due to certain states partially reopening.

Another update, US figures now at 1049431 cases and 60640 deaths. Hit a million on Monday but deaths didn't hit 60k til today so a day later than I predicted in my last update. Under 2000 per day but by the end of the day, that number will rise but still seems to be flattening a bit.

Looking at new figures, US now has 1152328 cases so almost 103000 more cases and death toll now at 67000 so 6300 more in the past 3 days so a little more than 2000 per day which is more than recent numbers. With many states starting to reopen, the curve may start to spike again rather than flatten out. At this current rate, the US will hit 100,000 deaths in the third week of May.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 2, 2020 23:19

crholmstrom
daspyknows
straycatuk

sc uk

agreed. i find myself really struggling to bite my tongue so to speak. there is one party in particular who claimed to be more intelligent than everyone else on the board then proceeded to repeatedly demonstrate what t total moron they are. isn't it sad when cousins marry?

Agreed!!!

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 2, 2020 23:49

I think anyone 60 and over should be praying for the expedited release of a vaccine. Because even if you "flatten the curve" it's still coming. When I go out I look like a space man with my dual-cartridge filter mask and my protective goggles over my glasses. I wear a filter mask to protect ME, not a surgical mask. But, it will probably still get me one day.

Honestly I get sick of the political footballing. Yes President Trump said a dumb thing about using disinfectants to "clean the lungs." The problem is that anybody with half a brain would realize that it was a poorly expressed metaphor for a hypothetical medication that would act like a disinfectant wipe on a contaminated surface. So much wasted energy and clumsy attempts to score political points over nothing. If anybody has ever had an asthma attack they know the near-instant relief that you can get from taking medication with an inhaler. Wouldn't be wonderful if you could take an inhaler that would kill off the virus in your lungs in short order.

The press and the commentators that play this silly political point game on both sides of the aisle irritate me. They are wasting valuable time that could be used for productive debate.

As time goes on, like it or not, parts of the economy have to resume even if it changes the curve for the worse. It's pretty evident that hospitals and medical supplies are not being overwhelmed. Society is a proverbial well-oiled machine and it runs off of consumerism and people spending money. It's just the way it is and arguments on both sides of the open/don't open debate have merit. There is some balance between the two extremes that has to be found. If a vaccine is found there is no reason that the mass production could not be licensed globally such that everybody gets vaccinated within three months and not 18 months.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: May 3, 2020 00:57

crholmstrom
Are you still in Tokyo? Seems like a good place from all I've seen.

I am, and as far as the pandemic is concerned it's in a State of Emergency. The biggest differences I see here are there is no lockdown, the politicians are not trying to divide the country and no one is playing race cards from the top of the deck.

Date: May 3, 2020 00:58

steffialicia
StonedInTokyo
crholmstrom
I didn't know Dr Fauci was 79. He's still pretty spry IMHO.

He's about to become a lot less spry and lot more quiet as his complicity in this pandemic becomes known.

His complicity? Do tell.

[nationalfile.com]

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 3, 2020 01:02

StonedInTokyo
steffialicia
StonedInTokyo
crholmstrom
I didn't know Dr Fauci was 79. He's still pretty spry IMHO.

He's about to become a lot less spry and lot more quiet as his complicity in this pandemic becomes known.

His complicity? Do tell.

[nationalfile.com]

Oh please.

Date: May 3, 2020 01:09

daspyknows
I do find it interesting that Boris Johnson's perspective changed after being sick. Some of the right wingnuts on here and throughout the US show how self centered many Americans are. Too bad this virus can't only infect the virus deniers. Those are the people who will keep the curve going up. It has only been flattened in a few places.

Johnson's perspective changed because he like many others realize the mathematical modelling approach that was taken has failed. Their national strategy for testing has also failed.

You call Americans self centered and then wish the virus upon them. THAT to me is the epitome of self-centeredness. You just can't accept the fact the whole @#$%& world is NOT going to do it your way, for many reasons, so you wish death on them.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 3, 2020 01:11

MileHigh
Yes President Trump said a dumb thing about using disinfectants to "clean the lungs." The problem is that anybody with half a brain would realize that it was a poorly expressed metaphor for a hypothetical medication that would act like a disinfectant wipe on a contaminated surface.

If it was a poorly expressed metaphor, then he should have just acknowledged that after all the ridicule he received.
But instead, he tried to explain it away with the odd rationale that it was a sarcastic comment in order to get a reaction from the press, which really only made things worse.
Why would he be "toying" with his enemies in the press with sarcastic statements in times like this when it's supposed to be a serious life and death matter? Has it become a joke to him?
Clearly what he said was idiotic (whether it was metaphorical, sarcastic, or sincere), so maybe he's the one who has less than half a brain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-03 01:12 by Hairball.

Date: May 3, 2020 01:12

MileHigh
everybody gets vaccinated within three months and not 18 months.

THAT will be the next point of contention. Directing "mandatory vaccination" will NOT be well received.

Date: May 3, 2020 01:20

StonedInTokyo
MileHigh
everybody gets vaccinated within three months and not 18 months.

THAT will be the next point of contention. Directing "mandatory vaccination" will NOT be well received.

And that's why you get modern-day outbreaks of the measles because some parents refuse to vaccinate their children. You were "expected" to get the measles when I was a kid in the 1960s but I wasn't aware of how seriously it can harm some individuals.

Date: May 3, 2020 01:24

I've been monitoring local numbers for BC and the rest of Canada as well as the US. BC has a population of 5.1 million. Like other areas, schools are closed, bars/clubs, hair salons and tattoo parlours are closed. Restaurants are take out or delivery only and grocery stores are open with social distancing being observed. Everyone is supposed to stay at home unless absolutely necessary.
As of today, we have had 2145 confirmed cases and 112 deaths.
I look at Georgia, with a population of just over 4 million. They have 27494 cases with 1167 deaths and Louisiana with a population of around 4.6 million. They have 28000 cases and 1862 deaths. I can't believe with smaller populations than BC, they have over 10 times the cases and 10 times the deaths. Hopefully things turn around for them.

Date: May 3, 2020 01:29

Hairball
MileHigh
Yes President Trump said a dumb thing about using disinfectants to "clean the lungs." The problem is that anybody with half a brain would realize that it was a poorly expressed metaphor for a hypothetical medication that would act like a disinfectant wipe on a contaminated surface.

Clearly what he said was idiotic (whether it was metaphorical, sarcastic, or sincere), so maybe he's the one who has less than half a brain.

My apologies you are right and it could have been distasteful sarcasm like he stated. I don't follow the political debate in the media too much these days.

And arguably... relative to what you say above the exploitation of this non-issue continues. What's happening right now is not really political in my opinion. Red or blue you like apple pie and you want to fight this virus to protect our society.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 3, 2020 01:53

MileHigh

Honestly I get sick of the political footballing. Yes President Trump said a dumb thing about using disinfectants to "clean the lungs." The problem is that anybody with half a brain would realize that it was a poorly expressed metaphor for a hypothetical medication that would act like a disinfectant wipe on a contaminated surface. So much wasted energy and clumsy attempts to score political points over nothing. If anybody has ever had an asthma attack they know the near-instant relief that you can get from taking medication with an inhaler. Wouldn't be wonderful if you could take an inhaler that would kill off the virus in your lungs in short order.

I get tired of the political footballing as well, and try hard not to participate.

Also get tired of his defenders putting words in his mouth that don't exist. If he can't speak for himself, or find the words to elaborate on what you and others assume he meant, he shouldn't be speaking for the nation.

Had he come out and stated what you just did on his behalf, the laughs would have turned to the understanding you believe he deserves. What he actually said after the debacle was “I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters like you just to see what would happen” Trump said in the Oval Office."(video of this exact statement here: [talkingpointsmemo.com]). Then he took his (ours) ball and went home, stopping the daily briefings, which is just as well considering he's using them politically to attack press and spread falsehoods, but nonetheless it would be helpful to hear from the actual experts during a crisis like this.

NY poison control center sees spike in calls after Trump disinfectant comments
A spokesperson for the poison control center, a subagency of NYC’s Health Department, tells the New York Daily News that it had 30 cases of possible exposure to disinfectants between 9 p.m. Thursday and 3 p.m. Friday.
[www.syracuse.com]

Dozens call hotlines about ingesting bleach after Trump hints it may cure virus
MORE than 100 people have made emergency calls to Maryland state’s hotline questioning the use of disinfectant to cure coronavirus.
[www.the-sun.com]

White House moves to refocus Trump after bleach controversy at coronavirus briefing
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 3, 2020 02:07

daspyknows
StonedInTokyo
daspyknows
Please do us all a favor, find someone sick with coronavirus, give them a kiss on their lips and come back at the end of the month and tell us what you think we should do. You really don't get it and you equating this to drunk driving proves your lack of comprehension. If your neighbor is drunk driving and kills you while you are getting the mail you won't need a car.

You need to wake up and smell the coffee. The survivability rate for people who contract this damn virus is about 99.6%. So AT MOST the odds of my going out to dinner resulting in the death of someone else from COVID-19 is about .4%. What is the timeline on recovery from a simultaneous loss of job, loss of home, prolonged US recession and/or global depression?

I reject Stay Home Save Lives. I promote Get Outside. Preserve Your Liberty. As a by the way, doing so builds herd immunity.

Have you had Covid19? I have. I would not wish it upon anyone I care about. Anyone who seems to talk about a 99.6% survival rate really needs to catch it and see whether they still feel the same way or more effective, see the person who you care most about go through it.

Frankly, I should in theory have immunity so I am at a much lower risk so I can go out. Those who trivialize it like you probably would think differently after having it.

You keep making the argument that people need to catch Corona in order to make informed commentary about the lockdown/closures...

fair enough....I don't agree with you, but that's fine.

However, by the exact same logic, maybe you need to lose your job, business, home, health care....etc. etc. in order to understand the economic impact of forced-closure...

if that happened to you (or was about to happen to you)...maybe you'd understand the "ease the lockdown" perspective better?

Not all of us are "right wing nuts" and gun-toting bearded-dudes the media focuses on...

some of us care about those middle-lower-and-working class Americans being evicted (or who will be evicted soon enough)...among other economic crises they now face as a result of forced-closures....aren't these the very people "liberals" purport to care about?

[abcnews.go.com]

[www.marketwatch.com]

[www.clarionledger.com]

[www.readingeagle.com]

[whyy.org]

[www.buzzfeednews.com]

[www.citymetric.com]

[time.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-03 02:36 by stickyfingers101.

Date: May 3, 2020 02:43

MisterDDDD
MileHigh

I get tired of the political footballing as well, and try hard not to participate.

Also get tired of his defenders putting words in his mouth that don't exist. If he can't speak for himself, or find the words to elaborate on what you and others assume he meant, he shouldn't be speaking for the nation.

Had he come out and stated what you just did on his behalf, the laughs would have turned to the understanding you believe he deserves. What he actually said after the debacle was “I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters like you just to see what would happen” Trump said in the Oval Office."(video of this exact statement here: [talkingpointsmemo.com]). Then he took his (ours) ball and went home, stopping the daily briefings, which is just as well considering he's using them politically to attack press and spread falsehoods, but nonetheless it would be helpful to hear from the actual experts during a crisis like this.

NY poison control center sees spike in calls after Trump disinfectant comments
A spokesperson for the poison control center, a subagency of NYC’s Health Department, tells the New York Daily News that it had 30 cases of possible exposure to disinfectants between 9 p.m. Thursday and 3 p.m. Friday.
[www.syracuse.com]

Dozens call hotlines about ingesting bleach after Trump hints it may cure virus
MORE than 100 people have made emergency calls to Maryland state’s hotline questioning the use of disinfectant to cure coronavirus.
[www.the-sun.com]

White House moves to refocus Trump after bleach controversy at coronavirus briefing
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Yes I stand corrected about President Trump's follow-up comments saying that it was sarcasm. And then some people without even half a brain tried to get Darwin Awards.

President Trump has a driver personality type and sometimes he just steamrolls though the press or other minutia BS that is out there. Many people have had a sense that politicians have been like little fragile birds in gilded cages for years. And the press have been like little fragile birds in gilded cages for years. And then Trump comes along like a bowling ball smashing through the gilded cages.

Look at the mask issue. From the WHO on down the directive was "don't wear a mask." In the presence of a serious contagious disease with no cure DON'T WEAR A MASK. Did we see any mainstream press critical analysis of that issue offering different perspectives? No. Look at the Baltimore riots. They were described as "peaceful protests" when the reality was that the rioters were attacking the police and throwing rocks and bricks at them and destroying business and private property and smashing cars and attacking pedestrians on the street. It was a nightmare and the mainstream press reported it as "peaceful protests."

Mark my words, in 20 years from now we are going to look back at this era and think that we were collectively borderline crazy.

Posted by: alexisjagger ()
Date: May 3, 2020 02:50

Here in Mexico we are about to hit the peak. Almost there.

Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: May 3, 2020 02:55

Those David Icke London Real interviews sure stir the pot

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 3, 2020 03:08

Fortunately I personally only know of a few second-hand cases of this virus and I am in Brooklyn. I do know of many people who are suddenly out of work, their businesses they worked for years to build are either destroyed or close to it, their employees are out of work, their kids are home from school, the rent is due, and they can't even get through to the Labor Dept. to finalize their unemployment claims after weeks of trying. Hospitals are ironically laying off staff in some areas of the country, due to the lack of "non-corona" and "elective" patients. The domino effect of this shutdown is going to be massive, far worse than any potential damage from this virus.

If an extinction event asteroid was headed to earth and there was a guaranteed method to deflect it, we would all die while our "leaders" squabbled over how to fund our salvation. A house divided indeed...

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 3, 2020 04:58

DGA35
I've been monitoring local numbers for BC and the rest of Canada as well as the US. BC has a population of 5.1 million. Like other areas, schools are closed, bars/clubs, hair salons and tattoo parlours are closed. Restaurants are take out or delivery only and grocery stores are open with social distancing being observed. Everyone is supposed to stay at home unless absolutely necessary.
I look at Georgia, with a population of just over 4 million. They have 27494 cases with 1167 deaths and Louisiana with a population of around 4.6 million. They have 28000 cases and 1862 deaths. I can't believe with smaller populations than BC, they have over 10 times the cases and 10 times the deaths. Hopefully things turn around for them.

The whole of Australia has a population of about 25m (BC=5.1m), similar lockdown rules - but harder, and we have had about 7,000 confirmed cases and just under 100 deaths. So, pro rata, better even than BC.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: May 3, 2020 05:47

CaptainCorella
DGA35

The whole of Australia has a population of about 25m (BC=5.1m), similar lockdown rules - but harder, and we have had about 7,000 confirmed cases and just under 100 deaths. So, pro rata, better even than BC.

Yes Australia and especially New Zealand have done really well. One thing I'm wondering is that as the northern hemisphere enters our warmer summer months and people will be outdoors, you'll be entering your cooler winter months so I wonder if that might change things as far as numbers go? I look at Brazil and it's starting to get bad down there.
A friend of mine's daughter, who is in her early 20's, is in Australia. She decided not to come back to BC and stay in Australia. So far, so good!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...122123124125126127128129130131132...LastNext
Current Page: 127 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1579
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home