Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...120121122123124125126127128129130...LastNext
Current Page: 125 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: May 1, 2020 11:02

daspyknows
Again, this is a problem that should involve the federal government to some degree.

The outcome of failed public policies at the state level is for state to resolve.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 1, 2020 11:52

The state of Maryland hides test kits they obtained so they are not taken by the federal government. They are using the state police & national guard to provide security.

Maryland test kits

Date: May 1, 2020 12:03

20% of the work force in Washington state is now unemployed.

Washington state unemployment numbers

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 1, 2020 12:46

crholmstrom
The state of Maryland hides test kits they obtained so they are not taken by the federal government. They are using the state police & national guard to provide security.

Maryland test kits

It's almost like this country is in a civil war. It's weird as there are no boundaries but ideological in nature. By the Way what happened to General Flynn is a horrific abuse of power - entrapment by the FBI? This needs to change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-01 13:09 by Chris Fountain.

Date: May 1, 2020 13:24

^^^^^Here is a story from a credible source (Bloomberg news) that refutes the original post above. ^^^^^^

Sweden numbers

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 1, 2020 14:23

jumpontopofmebaby
Hmmm. WHO says Sweden is the model of the world. Lol.

Thoughts

I’ll be this headline failed to make this board

This is false and undocumented news.
Posting fake news without any references is unacceptable.

Bjornulf

Date: May 1, 2020 14:27

Chris Fountain

By the Way what happened to General Flynn is a horrific abuse of power - entrapment by the FBI? This needs to change.

by the way, take that shite and post it on a fox and friends fanboy website and stop trying to gaslight people here. everybody’s been asked not to make political posts on this great site. also, this thread is about coronavirus. i guess the christian white nationalist terrorists, funded, and agitated, by the de vos family zealots(1), that were in lansing, yesterday, threatening the michigan state house, belong in the covid thread, but traitor flynn (2), definitely does not.

(1) [www.theguardian.com]

(2) [www.cnbc.com]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 1, 2020 14:42

bv
jumpontopofmebaby

Thoughts

I'll rephrase my misunderstood deleted post.

I too assumed that the claim was baseless and was a fake news item. Fake news items, and those who promote them are even more dangerous than bv believes.

So, in order to debunk the claim I did a Google search "Sweden is the model of the world" and looked at the results. Try it for yourself to check what I found. Go on, be stunned.

The London Times [www.thetimes.co.uk]
The NY Post [nypost.com] (there's a video there)

It is true - and astounding - that one of the recognisable spokespersons for WHO has used those words. The relatives of the many unnecessarily dead in Sweden may not agree!

It is doubly astonishing when you look at [www.worldometers.info] and are as appalled as I am at the deaths per million in Sweden compared to similar nations.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: May 1, 2020 14:46

Chris Fountain
crholmstrom

Maryland test kits

It's almost like this country is in a civil war. It's weird as there are no boundaries but ideological in nature. By the Way what happened to General Flynn is a horrific abuse of power - entrapment by the FBI? This needs to change.

This is a political post. Why campaign politics here? What relation to the corona virus does this person "Flynn" have? Please do not abuse the freedom of posting on IORR to push politics here.

Bjornulf

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 1, 2020 15:00

See Which States Are Reopening and Which Are Still Shut Down

"By Friday, more than a dozen states will have begun to reopen their economies and public life, even though health experts have expressed concern that a premature opening could lead to a spike in coronavirus infections that would not be detected in official case counts for weeks. Many areas are still seeing cases grow, and this week the number of known deaths related to coronavirus in the United States passed 60,000."
[www.nytimes.com]

__________________________________________________________________________________

Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count

[www.nytimes.com]

Date: May 1, 2020 15:04

CaptainCorella
bv
jumpontopofmebaby

Thoughts

I'll rephrase my misunderstood deleted post.

I too assumed that the claim was baseless and was a fake news item. Fake news items, and those who promote them are even more dangerous than bv believes.

So, in order to debunk the claim I did a Google search "Sweden is the model of the world" and looked at the results. Try it for yourself to check what I found. Go on, be stunned.

The London Times [www.thetimes.co.uk]
The NY Post [nypost.com] (there's a video there)

It is true - and astounding - that one of the recognisable spokespersons for WHO has used those words. The relatives of the many unnecessarily dead in Sweden may not agree!

It is doubly astonishing when you look at [www.worldometers.info] and are as appalled as I am at the deaths per million in Sweden compared to similar nations.

The socalled "WHO comment" is taken out of context. What this person from WHO is saying, is the fact that the Swedish health authorities have left it to the people of Sweden to self-distance. I.e. there is a rule in place for people to follow, the same rule as most other countries in the world do have now. This is NOT in any way a general WHO statement saying every country should follow the Swedish example.

I do follow the press conferences from the Swedish health authorities every day. Thursday and Friday press conferences were canceled at the last one they did this week, on Wednesday. The next one is on Monday. This is not just due to May 1st being a holiday; I assume they will announce a clarification of their strategy on Monday, because people do not follow the recommendations anymore.

There is an unexpected growth in deaths in areas outside Stockholm now. Even if the policy of people keeping a distance without any rules saying so is great, what we see for real is the fact that people stretch the freedom now. They are too many too close.

We saw the same in Norway. We do actually have the very same rules of distancing in Norway and Sweden. People should be two meters apart i.e. 6 ft. Then pubs and bars in Oslo Norway were crowded 5-6 weeks ago, so the city council of Oslo closed all beer sales in bars and restaurants. This is how Oslo and Stockholm have got different numbers of virus spreading. Either people in Sweden have to get stronger rules of pubs and restaurants, or they will have to follow the recommendations from the health authorities.

Bjornulf

Date: May 1, 2020 15:11

Is it possible to travel by direct flights from NYC or Detroit into Denver, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Memphis? Is there anything preventing the corona virus hotspots in NYC/NJ and Michigan from spreading, via travel, into states and cities now opening up?

Bjornulf

Date: May 1, 2020 15:16

bv
jumpontopofmebaby

Thoughts

The World Health Organization lauded Sweden as a “model” for battling the coronavirus as countries lift lockdowns — after the nation controversially refused restrictions.

Dr. Mike Ryan, the WHO’s top emergencies expert, said Wednesday there are “lessons to be learned” from the Scandinavian nation, which has largely relied on citizens to self-regulate.

Hard to call it fake news when there is a video of him

[nypost.com]

Just proves there is more than one way to skin a cat!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-01 15:43 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Date: May 1, 2020 16:03

bv
Is it possible to travel by direct flights from NYC or Detroit into Denver, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Memphis? Is there anything preventing the corona virus hotspots in NYC/NJ and Michigan from spreading, via travel, into states and cities now opening up?

That is possible and many states require passengers to self quarantine once they arrive. If you believe they are all doing that I’ve got a bridge for sale.

Date: May 1, 2020 16:07

bv

Like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Nothing preventing direct flights to any state from NYC.

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: May 1, 2020 16:15

makemeburnthecandle
bv

That is possible and many states require passengers to self quarantine once they arrive. If you believe they are all doing that I’ve got a bridge for sale.

There are no restrictions on travel within the USA that I am aware of. Planes, trains, and automobiles are all travel options.
On cnn, video of fairly crowded airplanes has been shown in the past day or two. Apparently, people are beginning to fly again in the US.
JetBlue has deemed masks for passengers, mandatory beginning Monday. Delta, America, and Frontier have followed JetBlue’s lead. [www.nbc-2.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-01 17:22 by cmc.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 1, 2020 17:48

bv

beyond self-regulation?

no.

however, the issue is that our gov't system is set up around "state's rights" overriding "federal rights" on a ton of issues/decisions.

so, the decision to "open" (and "close" for that matter) is one made by the states, not the federal gov't

....through the good and bad...and for better or worse, that's our system.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 1, 2020 18:13

StonedInTokyo
daspyknows
Again, this is a problem that should involve the federal government to some degree.

The outcome of failed public policies at the state level is for state to resolve.

The outcome of failed federal public policies is for the federal government to resolve.

Date: May 1, 2020 18:21

jumpontopofmebaby
bv
jumpontopofmebaby

Thoughts

The World Health Organization lauded Sweden as a “model” for battling the coronavirus as countries lift lockdowns — after the nation controversially refused restrictions.

Dr. Mike Ryan, the WHO’s top emergencies expert, said Wednesday there are “lessons to be learned” from the Scandinavian nation, which has largely relied on citizens to self-regulate.

[nypost.com]

Lessons to be learned is not saying open up and eliminate all restrictions.

Date: May 1, 2020 19:27

bv

Yes & no. Below is link to a story regarding Paine Field, a regional airport north of Seattle. They are 1 of the first airports in the country to use thermal cameras to measure temperatures as people enter the airport. If the camera shows a fever, you have to go to a secondary screening area. As I understand it, from there it is at the airline's discretion if you are allowed on a plane. Supposedly this tech is going to be used at other airports very soon.

Paine Field screening

Date: May 1, 2020 19:36

daspyknows
jumpontopofmebaby
bv
jumpontopofmebaby

Thoughts

[nypost.com]

What is is saying is open up. Let people be responsible for themselves.

Date: May 1, 2020 20:14

jumpontopofmebaby
daspyknows
jumpontopofmebaby
bv
jumpontopofmebaby

Thoughts

[nypost.com]

We all know that will not work.
Why do you have speed limits and liquor stores in USA?
If people were to be trusted, there would be free speed and booze without limits on sale 24/7.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-01 20:14 by bv.

Date: May 1, 2020 20:33

bv
jumpontopofmebaby
daspyknows
jumpontopofmebaby
bv
jumpontopofmebaby

Thoughts

[nypost.com]

If people were to be trusted, there would be free speed and booze without limits on sale 24/7.

Seems like it worked and is working in Sweden per the World Health Organization.

And yes I think it will work.

It is up to each person. Those who choose to venture out and about and don't do it safely then they will pay the price.

For those that do. Life goes on.

You cant punish everyone because of the people that don't get it.

You cant take away my car because my neighbor speeds or drives drunk.

You have to look out for number 1.

And it is time to get the show on the road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-01 20:34 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Date: May 1, 2020 20:46

jumpontopofmebaby
Seems like it worked and is working in Sweden per the World Health Organization.

It is up to each person. Those who choose to venture out and about and don't do it safely then they will pay the price.

This isn't "punishment".
This is everyone doing their part to stop the spread.

News flash- You are amongst the people that "don't get it".
Not rocket science at this point, people spread this virus person to person,
By continuing the isolation and distancing measures we can and are reducing the infected and death rate considerably,

Additionally, by "getting the show on the road" prematurely, we are almost guaranteeing that we will be starting this process again from near the starting line.

Date: May 1, 2020 21:00

jumpontopofmebaby
daspyknows
jumpontopofmebaby
bv
jumpontopofmebaby

Thoughts

[nypost.com]

So it is ok for someone who chooses to be irresponsible for themselves to infect others? Is that what you are saying? If someone is sick and they refuse to wear a mask and go to a public place and spread the virus, that is permissible?

Date: May 1, 2020 21:06

Fauci warns states rushing to reopen: ‘You’re making a really significant risk’

With the White House’s social distancing guidelines expiring Thursday, leaving states largely in charge of deciding how to move forward, Anthony Fauci warned local leaders to avoid “leapfrogging” critical milestones in an effort to reopen their economies amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

“Obviously you could get away with that, but you’re making a really significant risk,” Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Thursday evening on CNN.
[www.seattletimes.com]

Date: May 1, 2020 21:06

jumpontopofmebaby
bv
jumpontopofmebaby
daspyknows
jumpontopofmebaby
bv
jumpontopofmebaby

Thoughts

[nypost.com]

Please do us all a favor, find someone sick with coronavirus, give them a kiss on their lips and come back at the end of the month and tell us what you think we should do. You really don't get it and you equating this to drunk driving proves your lack of comprehension. If your neighbor is drunk driving and kills you while you are getting the mail you won't need a car.

Date: May 1, 2020 21:30

daspyknows
jumpontopofmebaby
bv
jumpontopofmebaby
daspyknows
jumpontopofmebaby
bv
jumpontopofmebaby

Thoughts

[nypost.com]

Please do us all a favor, find someone sick with coronavirus, give them a kiss on their lips and come back at the end of the month and tell us what you think we should do. You really don't get it and you equating this to drunk driving proves your lack of comprehension. If your neighbor is drunk driving and kills you while you are getting the mail you won't need a car.

OK

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 1, 2020 21:31

The aggression in here... let people have their own views about things. When it comes to this disease not even professors are sure what to do. Every country has their own way of tackling things.
And just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean it's "fake news". By the way, there is no such thing as objective news. Everything is biased, more or less. There is more or less
objective news though. In the end it's down to each person to judge for themselves what to believe in. Many will be wrong, some will be right...

Date: May 1, 2020 21:37

jumpontopofmebaby

You do not get it.

This is what Dr. Mike Ryan, WHO’s top emergencies expert, said Wednesday: There are “lessons to be learned” from the way Sweden “has very much relied on its relationship with its citizenry and the ability and willingness of its citizens to implement self-distancing and self-regulate.”

Read Washington Post, they have a more detailed reference on what he said.

In USA, vigilante demonstrators are now showing up at Capitol buildings, heavily armed, demonstrating in hundreds to open up ahead of what science and virus numbers are allowing for. They are applauded by the US President. You do not see that in Sweden. In Sweden they follow advice by the health authorities, they do not open up at all, they do in fact close bars and restaurants as they get more crowded now.

FACTS ABOUT SWEDEN and the corona virus today:

The authorities have started to close down bars and restaurants in big cities like Stockholm and Gothenburg, because they are overcrowded.

[www.expressen.se]

[www.aftonbladet.se]

References:

No, Sweden Isn't a Miracle Coronavirus Model
Washington Post May 1, 2020)

The World Health Organization’s Swedish flip-flop (New York Post May 1, 2020)

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...120121122123124125126127128129130...LastNext
Current Page: 125 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home