Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...119120121122123124125126127128129...LastNext
Current Page: 124 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 30, 2020 17:43

Beast
SomeTorontoGirl
Love Captain Tom! And the flypast was brilliant.

Now promoted by the Queen to honorary COLONEL!

I noticed they skipped the rank inbetween - Major............winking smiley

smiling smileyRe: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 30, 2020 17:46

EddieByword
Beast
SomeTorontoGirl

Space Oddity?

Re: smiling smileyRe: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 30, 2020 17:49

Javadave
EddieByword
Beast
SomeTorontoGirl

Space Oddity?

thumbs up

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 30, 2020 17:59

Chris Fountain
If we are going to spend money on anything related to this virus shouldn't it be "free" test kits? This is our way out of this mess.

Normally (As in every administration since World War II) would have taken the lead on this months ago. This is one of the great failings of this crisis.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 30, 2020 18:09

Javadave
Meanwhile, no comprehensive testing in Seattle, and “neighborhood watch” vigilantes are forming to dole out rough justice now that the police have stopped prosecuting misdemeanors due to COVID-19. It’s turning into the Wild West out here:

[www.google.com]

Sadly, the homeless will be scapegoated for the actions of a few bad actors and the inability of public officials to find solutions for the housing, mental illness, drug addiction and job training and job placement issues at the heart of the problem.

If the police stop prosecuting criminal activity, though, things could turn ugly fast.

Where in Seattle did the homeless live before the corona virus arrived this spring into the Ballard area? Out of sight?

When I was on tour in USA last summer, there were homeless in every city center. On my way to the show in Seattle, I had a stopover in Portland Oregon. There the city center was like a camping site with homeless people in tents more or less everywhere. People were dining at nice outdoor restaurant tables with homeless camping and living 2-3 feet away on the sidewalk.

I guess the corona virus is bringing up problems which has been around for a while. What they said in Portland was that these people need shelters and care, they are not able to take care of themselves. They are poor, they can not afford a room, they may not be able to handle a flat on their own. Well there was a report where people are arming themselves. I don't know if shooting them will take away the problem. This video is quite interesting:

As homeless encampments multiply in Ballard, residents grow more vigilant (COMO news April 30, 2020)

Bjornulf

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 30, 2020 18:15

Hairball
stickyfingers101

it's just a matter of time before something jumps the species-barrier from pigs/cows/chickens that runs rampant like Corona....

IMO, we need to self-examine and change our own practices BEFORE that happens...rather than finger-pointing and condemning what Indonesia is doing.

Sure, anything can happen anywhere at any time, and we can speculate endlessly on when or where that might happen.
The fact is though, Indonesian bat markets are presently more relevant (and a high risk) due to the fact that the coronavirus originated in bats in a wet market in Wuhan, China!
Not sure if "finger-pointing" is the right term when a bat market is currently the root cause of a world wide pandemic resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands.
Yes we need to self examine our own methods (and many changes have been made over the years), but right now the immediate priority seems to be focused on the coronavirus and it's origins - bats and wet markets.

I agree.

But...if they wanna eat bat, they gonna eat bat...only Indo can change Indo...I guess that was my point.

they sure do got some gnarly markets, though!!

...and great waves...Mentawais...epic.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 30, 2020 18:34

Seven weeks ago today, Norway went into a complete and immediate lockdown. All schools, kindergarten, hairdressers, gym, any place with 1:1 contact closed, and the borders closed. Then last week kindergarten opened, and school grade 1-4 opened this week.

We were lucky to have politicians who closed early and complete. This way we got a low number of corona positives in the first wave, and we are now down to less than R = 0.7, which means the virus is going away slowly.

The borders are closed for non Norwegians until May 15, and this will be extended until August 15. Today the plan for the opening up was announced. First the recommendation of social distancing is reduced from 2m into 1m, i.e. from 6ft into 3ft. From May 7 they will allow 50 people at arrangements like weddings, concerts etc, still with 1m distance. Every two weeks they will open up little by little, may be the number of 50 will be increased to 200 as for arrangements in June etc.

My local paper have been announcing the following numbers every day as a headline:

Deaths - Hospitalized - Recovered

The number of hospitalized was up to 21 at the most four weeks ago. Then day by day this number have gone down. Some times you could see that the number of hospitalized went down by one, and the number of deaths went up by one. Sad. Then the number of hospitalized moved into an increase in recovered. Today the number of hospitalized went from 6 into 4, and the number of recovered went from 62 into 64. Great! I hope the remaining 4 will go into recovered rather than dead. There is hope, and it is possible to stop the virus!

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-30 18:38 by bv.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 30, 2020 18:38

bv

Where in Seattle did the homeless live before the corona virus arrived this spring into the Ballard area? Out of sight?

When I was on tour in USA last summer, there were homeless in every city center. On my way to the show in Seattle, I had a stopover in Portland Oregon. There the city center was like a camping site with homeless people in tents more or less everywhere. People were dining at nice outdoor restaurant tables with homeless camping and living 2-3 feet away on the sidewalk.

I guess the corona virus is bringing up problems which has been around for a while. What they said in Portland was that these people need shelters and care, they are not able to take care of themselves. They are poor, they can not afford a room, they may not be able to handle a flat on their own. Well there was a report where people are arming themselves. I don't know if shooting them will take away the problem. This video is quite interesting:

As homeless encampments multiply in Ballard, residents grow more vigilant (COMO news April 30, 2020)

Understand the frustrations from the residents of my former neighborhood in Ballard, but armed vigilante groups are no answer.
Homelessness in Seattle, SF and Portland has been a growing public health & safety issue for a long time, with people camping in the streets, vehicles, and encampments becoming the norm. With more people losing their jobs due to the virus, the numbers are growing daily.

Difficult to try to address during this time, but perhaps ultimately with the increased public health aspect of the issue, some long term viable options will come to the forefront.
Similar to the issue of climate, perhaps some good will ultimately come from society shutting things down and the positive effect that's had on the environment, wildlife, etc.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 30, 2020 18:51

The homeless issue is obviously a large, multi-faceted one, not just here, but in all of the large West Coast cities in the U.S. I’ve been told that a disproportionately large percentage of the homeless population are transplants from the Eastern and Midwest U.S. where the environment for the homeless is more hostile. States and communities taking responsibility for their own social welfare is yet one more facet to this issue.

Sure, we have had an ongoing homeless crisis here, but the COVID-19 pandemic is bringing it further into the open. Instead of camps being tucked away under bridges and off ramps, more people are sleeping in any nook and cranny openly on city streets. With the streets being mostly empty with most businesses shuttered and people staying home, the homeless are that much more visible.

We’ve had a guy sleeping on a boxspring mattress under an awning of the building next to my apartment building for the last 4 months. My landlord finally put a 24 hour security code lock on the front door to my building after the residents complained about some guy sleeping in the hallways. Nothing was done until after the landlord had him arrested for trespassing, the guy (presumably, but no one knows for sure) defecated in the hallway.

It’s almost a daily occurrence to be disturbed by the loud ranting of a schizophrenic, drunk, or otherwise deranged person in the streets below. Earlier this week, I had to call the police at 2 a.m. when some loony sat down at the bus stop across the street and wouldn’t stop his ranting. The police wanted to know if he was armed or under the influence. I said I didn’t know, but was hoping to get some peace and quiet so I could get my rest. The police drove by, but never got out of their squad car or said anything to the guy. He continued yelling for at least a half an hour. I finally put in some earplugs and was able to doze off. That’s not a solution though. For one, they leave my ears feeling rough, like they’re getting infected, and what if I can’t hear a fire alarm go off?

My main concern, though, is that by turning a blind eye to the homeless and allowing the issue to fester, we are both indoctrinating indifference and creating a breeding ground for infectious diseases like this one to spread. A hands off policy that effectively kills the poor is not a sound, viable public policy.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 30, 2020 19:04

bv
Seven weeks ago today, Norway went into a complete and immediate lockdown. All schools, kindergarten, hairdressers, gym, any place with 1:1 contact closed, and the borders closed. Then last week kindergarten opened, and school grade 1-4 opened this week.

We were lucky to have politicians who closed early and complete. This way we got a low number of corona positives in the first wave, and we are now down to less than R = 0.7, which means the virus is going away slowly.

The borders are closed for non Norwegians until May 15, and this will be extended until August 15. Today the plan for the opening up was announced. First the recommendation of social distancing is reduced from 2m into 1m, i.e. from 6ft into 3ft. From May 7 they will allow 50 people at arrangements like weddings, concerts etc, still with 1m distance. Every two weeks they will open up little by little, may be the number of 50 will be increased to 200 as for arrangements in June etc.

My local paper have been announcing the following numbers every day as a headline:

Deaths - Hospitalized - Recovered

The number of hospitalized was up to 21 at the most four weeks ago. Then day by day this number have gone down. Some times you could see that the number of hospitalized went down by one, and the number of deaths went up by one. Sad. Then the number of hospitalized moved into an increase in recovered. Today the number of hospitalized went from 6 into 4, and the number of recovered went from 62 into 64. Great! I hope the remaining 4 will go into recovered rather than dead. There is hope, and it is possible to stop the virus!

Thats good news Bjornulf...hoping all goes well there, and extra happy for all the school kids being able to start attending school again!
And not that there's exact comparisons, but California seemed on a similar path and tractory as far as early lockdown, and the low number of corona positives in the first wave, etc. But seems two steps forward one step back in some areas here with knuckleheads down in Orange County over-infesting their beaches. Still waiting on official announcement on the reclosure of those beaches, but it's not going to go down well - especially when you have authorities in high positions second guessing the Governor.

"This is not going to end well. Californians are not children you can ground when they don't 'behave' the way you want." - California State Assemblymember Melissa Melendez

And Orange County Board of Supervisors moron Donald Wagner whose statement I posted last night: "I fear that this overreaction from the state will undermine that cooperative attitude..."

But even as recently as a day or so ago or so, Governor Newsom downplayed the problem by saying: "About 100 beaches, easily defined 100 beaches, and there were five where we had some particular challenges. Overwhelming majority there were no major issues. Quite frankly no issues," ...but now he wants to close the beaches from Mexico to the Oregon border? Evidently he can be a bit wishy washy himself, but after all he is a politician. Anyhow, closing beaches is really just a minor inconvenience for most - especially when compared to vigilantes, etc., but wonder how he'll react when the riots start happening...send in the armed troops?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-30 19:05 by Hairball.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 30, 2020 19:06

The homeless are everywhere in Seattle. I guess the main area has been Pioneer Square in the past. A big part of the problem is the local government seems to believe that throwing money at them with zero accountability is the answer. I know a guy who owns a convenience store & another business in White Center, just outside the city limits. There are a large number there & he says that very few of them are from Seattle. Rather they are from elsewhere because they heard that Seattle was easy pickings. These are the "professional" homeless who don't want to work but prefer to get high/drunk & live off the fat of the land. I have enormous compassion for those who are legitimately in need but no patience for those types. Also, people who are mentally ill who need help are should be helped. The problem isn't going away & just turning a blind eye isn't going to solve anything. There are stories (with video) of other towns in the state transporting their homeless to Seattle & dumping them on the streets. That's just wrong. The housing market here is so crazy that more & more are being forced out. It will be interesting to see what effect the current crisis has on this. Boeing announced yesterday that they are reducing the work force in commercial airplanes by 15% or more. That is going to be a factor. The politicians discount that because it isn't one of the shiny, new companies. It's a mess. Being retired on a fixed income now I'm most likely going to have to move out of town once the crisis ends because I can't afford to live here anymore.

Date: April 30, 2020 19:15

Glad to see Norway improving BV. I am jealous as I wish US would have followed the same path. Unfortunately the US is proving to be the country that others can look at on how not to handle a crisis.

Date: April 30, 2020 19:19

crholmstrom
The homeless are everywhere in Seattle. I guess the main area has been Pioneer Square in the past. A big part of the problem is the local government seems to believe that throwing money at them with zero accountability is the answer. I know a guy who owns a convenience store & another business in White Center, just outside the city limits. There are a large number there & he says that very few of them are from Seattle. Rather they are from elsewhere because they heard that Seattle was easy pickings. These are the "professional" homeless who don't want to work but prefer to get high/drunk & live off the fat of the land. I have enormous compassion for those who are legitimately in need but no patience for those types. Also, people who are mentally ill who need help are should be helped. The problem isn't going away & just turning a blind eye isn't going to solve anything. There are stories (with video) of other towns in the state transporting their homeless to Seattle & dumping them on the streets. That's just wrong. The housing market here is so crazy that more & more are being forced out. It will be interesting to see what effect the current crisis has on this. Boeing announced yesterday that they are reducing the work force in commercial airplanes by 15% or more. That is going to be a factor. The politicians discount that because it isn't one of the shiny, new companies. It's a mess. Being retired on a fixed income now I'm most likely going to have to move out of town once the crisis ends because I can't afford to live here anymore.

Another reason the homeless population is as bad on the West Coast is climate. Besides services which are much more compassionate in these states, the weather makes survival easier. Homeless really suffer in cities like Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland in the winter. Can you blame them for wanting to leave.

Again, this is a problem that should involve the federal government to some degree.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 30, 2020 20:22

New York Homeless are living in the closed subway cars- in respective transit system.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 30, 2020 20:37

stickyfingers101
Those bats are gnarly...no doubt.

I wouldn't touch it (let alone eat it) and I in no way, shape or form condone what is pictured....I've been to Wet Markets and to the untrained eye it can be truly shocking....

However, I'd bet that if most Westerners went to a Slaughterhouse and saw the process first-hand from start to finish, they might re-examine how they think about "beef" (aka cow) and "pork" (aka pig)....and "poultry" (aka "chicken" & "turkey")....

...and I'd guarantee we'd take a different view of our "meat" if Foot & Mouth Disease or Swine Flu were spreading like this Corona is...

We simply hide our "slaughter" and "processing" away from public view....we package and present the animal in more visually-appealing forms....and (for the most part) call it something that shifts the focus from the fact that it was/is an animal.

....with clear intentional reasons..."if slaughterhouses had glass walls we'd all be vegetarians" - McCartney

Heck, most of the "cooking shows" on TV don't even call it "meat" anymore...they call it "protein" in a complete 180-shift to positive-word-association.

watch "Earthlings" to get an idea of the Western relationship w/ animals

....or the South Park "Whale Whores" as an amazing satire....

"now they are normal like us"....haha!

this is equally awesome satire...."Meat and You, Partners in Freedom"...classic.

it's just a matter of time before something jumps the species-barrier from pigs/cows/chickens that runs rampant like Corona....

IMO, we need to self-examine and change our own practices BEFORE that happens...rather than finger-pointing and condemning what Indonesia is doing.

Glass Houses and all that...

just my opinion.

It gives some solid weight to the rather entertaining yet revealing quip about why aliens haven't truly visited - we're still really @#$%& stupid and they want nothing to do with us until we've advanced a good bit.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: April 30, 2020 21:24

bv
Happy 100th birthday today Captain Tom!

Two wartime RAF planes have flown over Captain Tom Moore's home to honour the war veteran and fundraiser on his 100th birthday.

He watched as the Hurricane and Spitfire flew overhead.

War veteran Tom Moore, who has raised more than £30 million ($37.4 million) for the UK's National Health Service (NHS) by walking laps of his garden, celebrates his 100th birthday Thursday.

Captain Tom: RAF flypast in veteran's honour

Tom Moore, veteran who raised $37m for UK health service, turns 100

Lots of respect!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 30, 2020 21:45

This is called Corona distance. From Stockholm today. They're waiting on the bus.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 30, 2020 22:38

Stoneage, here in Finland that would look like a normal way to wait a bus... (social distancing is in our bloodgrinning smiley)

Anyway, today supposed to be the biggest party day in Finland, the eve of 1st of May (and the party would continue tomorrow, which is the official holiday, International Labour day and many things else, but as usual, people here use the opportunity of the day prior to get drunk... ). Usually the streets and bars would be full of people totally drunk, but now we are "living in a ghost town", literally...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-30 22:40 by Doxa.

Date: April 30, 2020 22:56

Hairball

But even as recently as a day or so ago or so, Governor Newsom downplayed the problem by saying: "About 100 beaches, easily defined 100 beaches, and there were five where we had some particular challenges. Overwhelming majority there were no major issues. Quite frankly no issues," ...but now he wants to close the beaches from Mexico to the Oregon border? Evidently he can be a bit wishy washy himself, but after all he is a politician. Anyhow, closing beaches is really just a minor inconvenience for most - especially when compared to vigilantes, etc., but wonder how he'll react when the riots start happening...send in the armed troops?

Looks like the Gov backtracked on the statewide ban.
He's claiming that the memo he sent to the police chiefs last night didn't state that, but there are many copies of it floating around.

Looks like he felt the backlash and changed the order, but we will see.
Closing them where the problem lies, OC etc., makes a lot more sense.

CA Gov. Orders All OC Beaches to Close Amid COVID-19 Crisis

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom has ordered beaches in Orange County to close until further notice.

Newsom made the announcement Thursday, days after tens of thousands of people in Orange County packed beaches during a sunny weekend.

Newsom said he hopes the order won’t last very long. But he said he felt he had to do it to protect public health.

A memo to the state’s police chiefs on Wednesday indicated Newsom planned to close all beaches in the state.

But Thursday, Newsom said the order only applied to beaches in Orange County. Several California coastal communities have allowed beaches to be open with some restrictions.
[knx1070.radio.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-30 23:00 by MisterDDDD.

Date: April 30, 2020 23:03

Chris Fountain
New York Homeless are living in the closed subway cars- in respective transit system.

Subway closing at night effective tomorrow.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 30, 2020 23:55

MisterDDDD
Hairball

Looks like the Gov backtracked on the statewide ban.
He's claiming that the memo he sent to the police chiefs last night didn't state that, but there are many copies of it floating around.

Looks like he felt the backlash and changed the order, but we will see.
Closing them where the problem lies, OC etc., makes a lot more sense.

CA Gov. Orders All OC Beaches to Close Amid COVID-19 Crisis

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom has ordered beaches in Orange County to close until further notice.

Newsom made the announcement Thursday, days after tens of thousands of people in Orange County packed beaches during a sunny weekend.

Newsom said he hopes the order won’t last very long. But he said he felt he had to do it to protect public health.

A memo to the state’s police chiefs on Wednesday indicated Newsom planned to close all beaches in the state.

But Thursday, Newsom said the order only applied to beaches in Orange County. Several California coastal communities have allowed beaches to be open with some restrictions.
[knx1070.radio.com]

Yes I heard - I was just down at our big public beach next to the pier by my studio (very uncrowded by the way) thinking it might a while before I can go there again without having to sneak around to secret spots off the grid, and heard the good news on my car radio when I left. Hats off to him for doing the right thing by sticking it to the troublemakers down in Orange County vs. making our entire state suffer!

Thankfully our beaches will remain open (with restrictions), and in celebration, I just whipped up this special card to send to all my friends down in Orange County:

Not sure how much they'll appreciate it, but I care for their well being and it's the thought that counts. grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-30 23:59 by Hairball.

Posted by: nickdominguez ()
Date: May 1, 2020 00:35

spanishtonysanchez Instagram

Date: May 1, 2020 01:44

Not a political post, as frankly I don't know what political party these protestors/terrorists belong to if any.
The images emerging from the "Open America" protest at the State Capitol in Michigan today are disturbing.

The "Open America" protests have been co-opted/sponsored by extremist gun rights groups and they are literally terrorizing legislators. Many of whom wore bullet-proof vests today and publicly commented on their fear. What gun rights have to do with "Opening America" is beyond me.

If these protests continue like this, these thugs really should be immediately arrested and subsequently lose their right to open carry or own a gun at all.
Shameful.
video:[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-01 01:55 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 1, 2020 03:06

THE AGE -- 1 May 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: May 1, 2020 03:35

Hmmm. WHO says Sweden is the model of the world. Lol.

Thoughts

I’ll be this headline failed to make this board

Date: May 1, 2020 03:41

MisterDDDD
Not a political post, as frankly I don't know what political party these protestors/terrorists belong to if any.
The images emerging from the "Open America" protest at the State Capitol in Michigan today are disturbing.

The "Open America" protests have been co-opted/sponsored by extremist gun rights groups and they are literally terrorizing legislators. Many of whom wore bullet-proof vests today and publicly commented on their fear. What gun rights have to do with "Opening America" is beyond me.

If these protests continue like this, these thugs really should be immediately arrested and subsequently lose their right to open carry or own a gun at all.
Shameful.
video:[twitter.com]

The 4th picture sort of gives away the political affiliation.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 1, 2020 03:42

THE AUSTRALIAN ---- 1 May 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: May 1, 2020 03:45

jumpontopofmebaby
Hmmm. WHO says Sweden is the model of the world. Lol.

Thoughts

I’ll be this headline failed to make this board

Provide a link from the WHO, not Faux New, Breitbart, or NewsMax.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 1, 2020 08:47

daspyknows

Which is really sad, that our flag has been co-opted for the personal use of a fringe element.

Also, multiple polls say they're in a tiny minority of Michigan opinion on this issue.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 1, 2020 10:39

Aquamarine
daspyknows

Which is really sad, that our flag has been co-opted for the personal use of a fringe element.

Also, multiple polls say they're in a tiny minority of Michigan opinion on this issue.

Yes agree about the flag and these fringe groups.
What possible reason do these protesters need all this armament? In my opinion it just looks ridiculous!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...119120121122123124125126127128129...LastNext
Current Page: 124 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1648
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home