Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...115116117118119120121122123124125...LastNext
Current Page: 120 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 27, 2020 15:55

another clear reason we need to get people back to work...

[www.cbsnews.com]

the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline is reporting a 20% increase in calls and more than four times the number of texts compared to the same time last year.

Financial stress + limited mobility + no social "watchdog" oversight (schools/teachers) = recipe for disaster for children.

and this....

[www.reuters.com]

[www.newindianexpress.com]

[komonews.com]

Argentina’s emergency 137 line for abuse victims, supported by the justice department, has seen a 67% rise in calls for help in April versus a year earlier

The House of Commons' Home Affairs Committee found that calls and contacts to the UK-wide domestic abuse helpline run by the charity Refuge were 49 per cent higher in the week prior to April 15, than the average prior to the pandemic.

The Seattle Police Department said it saw a 21 percent increase in domestic violence reports last month,

I would virtually guarantee these trends are the same everywhere the world-over.

we cannot continue to live this way.

I'm not saying "work" is a cure to spousal/child abuse...but, lockdowns in close quarters + financial stress are certainly a causal factor for its increase....we need to start releasing the pressure valve....soon.

and, I'm sorry to say, add to the fact that there is uninterrupted access to liquor (another well-documented causal factor to abuse) and this rise in abuse should be no surprise to anyone...

My point: there comes a point when the "cure" becomes worse than the disease....we are rapidly approaching that tipping-point, IMO.

there are other spiking "curves" we need to try to start flattening too....and abuse should be at the top of the list....

getting people back to work is one way to flatten that curve.

we're gonna have to go out into the world and roll the dice again at some point. This is not sustainable.

IMO.

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: April 27, 2020 15:56

Sici
Living in a Ghost Town, Rome.
Sici

[initalia.virgilio.it]

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: April 27, 2020 16:10

MisterDDDD
This alarm from Tyson's chairman is concerning.
Thought the scramble for toilet paper was bad, a shortage of meat would make that look tame. They had been limiting all chicken products to one item here in most NW stores early in the lockdown.
May see more of that and then some.

'The food supply chain is breaking,' Tyson says as plants close

New York (CNN Business)Tyson Foods (TSN) is warning that "millions of pounds of meat" will disappear from the supply chain as the coronavirus pandemic pushes food processing plants to close, leading to product shortages in grocery stores across the country.

"The food supply chain is breaking," wrote board chairman John Tyson in a full-page advertisement published Sunday in The New York Times, Washington Post and Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

Some of the country's largest abattoirs (processing plants or slaughterhouses) have been forced to cease operations temporarily after thousands of employees across the country have tested positive for the virus.
[edition.cnn.com]

add "Food Insecurity" to the list and we'll see what happens w/ abuse statistics.....and crime, for that matter.

lockdown + financial insecurity + food insecurity + easy access to liquor = nightmare for vulnerable women & children everywhere (and presumably some men too).

....and that's just the beginning. If the economy seizes up completely (which is a very real possibility), we've got problems that will take longer to fix than finding a "vaccine" for Coronavirus.....IMO.

at this rate, we're headed toward "The Road" (or "Blindness")...

if you haven't read either of those, do it....Cormac McCarthy & Jose Saramago respectively....but, don't say I didn't warn you.

add Stephen King's "The Stand" if you are into this genre....

Jose Saramago is the Greatest Writer of All Time.

....too bad the f'n bookstore is closed. I used to go there a lot....why can't it be open? limited # of customers at a time, wear a mask, wipe down the book at the counter...hand sanitizer.

Whatever, I guess I can always order from Amazon and make that dink Bezos richer rather than support my locally-owned small-business....

sorry...rambling...my specialty.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 27, 2020 16:29

(NRK): A COVID-19 vaccine may be ready this year, according to a conference call today with the CEPI manager and the Norwegian Prime Minister.

(CEPI): CEPI will provide initially US$3.5m to Clover Biopharmaceuticals Australia, the wholly-owned subsidiary of Sichuan Clover Biopharmaceuticals, Inc (China) to support preparation and initiation of a phase 1 trial of Clover’s protein-based COVID-19 S-Trimer vaccine in Australia. The partnership becomes the ninth global COVID-19 vaccine development project that CEPI has signed since Jan 23, 2020.

(FORTUNE): Billionaire Bill Gates is funding production of the seven most promising ideas for a vaccine as he refocuses his philanthropic work on the deadly coronavirus.

CEPI announces COVID-19 vaccine development partnership with Clover Biopharmaceuticals’ Australian Subsidiary (CEPI 27 April 2020)

Bill Gates’ coronavirus vaccine could be manufacturing at scale in a year (Fortune April 26, 2020)

Utviklingen av koronavaksine går raskere enn først antatt (NRK 27 April 2020)

(NRK - English):

The development of a corona vaccine is going faster than initially expected.

The development of a vaccine against the coronavirus is going faster than first expected. As told by Richard Hatchet, head of CEPI, to Prime Minister Erna Solberg of Norway at an online meeting today.

Hatchet said the most optimistic estimate is that a vaccine may be ready during this calendar year. Previously, they said it would take between 12 and 18 months to develop a vaccine.

The reason why it may go faster than originally estimated, is the fact that various companies working on developing vaccines now are cooperating.

Health workers and people at risk are the first ones to be vaccinated.

ABOUT CEPI:

The Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovation (CEPI) was launched at Davos 2017 as the result of a consensus that a coordinated, international, and intergovernmental plan was needed to develop and deploy new vaccines to prevent future epidemics.

CEPI are an innovative global partnership between public, private, philanthropic, and civil society organisations working to accelerate the development of vaccines against emerging infectious diseases and enable equitable access to these vaccines for affected populations during outbreaks.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-27 16:46 by bv.

Date: April 27, 2020 16:56

in crisis, there is opportunity....

[www.theguardian.com]

desperate people who today receive the Camorra’s help will be grateful or, rather, will have to express their gratitude when everything gets back to normal

....indeed.

[www.popartuk.com]

ps...good thing the Weed Stores are closed. Just hand that market right over to criminal gangs.

Liquor stores open, Weed stores closed....so dumb.

For every honest entrepreneur at risk of having to close their restaurant or shop, there’s a mafia clan ready to intervene and take over the business, or offer a cash injection in exchange for shares.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-27 16:58 by stickyfingers101.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 27, 2020 18:18

i hope for the sake of everyone that a viable vaccine ends up arriving ahead of schedule. when you look at it, no one (including china) has experienced even the second wave of this. while we may be somewhat better prepared it may end being worse than what we are experiencing now. i'm afraid the current rush to get back to "normal" may end up doing more harm than good on both a disease basis & economic basis. there are going to be a lot more deaths whichever way it goes. you can't send corpses back to work.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 27, 2020 19:02

stickyfingers101

[www.cbsnews.com]

IMO.

We are trying this in Georgia and Florida, so lets see. Calling this stupid is an understatement.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: April 27, 2020 19:13

I believe the need for social distancing until we have a viable vaccine is far more critical than the need for work. That said, I believe the government could be doing a lot more to help laid-off people with meaningful work.

During the last great depression, FDR created the WPA to put food on millions of tables by creating magnificent public construction projects. Thousands of local school buildings, civic centers and hospitals were built, along with the Hoover Dam (although it was technically a separate project). The government should create work-at-home projects to hire millions of laid-off workers.

The US Census is probably already fully staffed, but maybe there are a few jobs left there. But the real desperate need for labor-intensive work now is for contact tracing. That could be done from home, over a phone and PC.

I'm sure there are other forward-thinking 21st Century jobs that could be created to put people back to work, while observing medically-mandated social distancing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-27 19:16 by 5stringTele.

Date: April 27, 2020 19:31

daspyknows
stickyfingers101

[www.cbsnews.com]

IMO.

We are trying this in Georgia and Florida, so lets see. Calling this stupid is an understatement.

In all sincerity (and a calm, neutral, non-confrontational voice which wishes to discuss without fighting): I don't think that "stupid" is the correct choice of word...

the evaluation of "risk vs. rewards" is not an easy or simple one for many people...hence, the choice to re-open is not a simple one either.

Think of people who will lose their businesses or homes without a paycheck..or those who can't put food on the table w/o a paycheck....millions of Americans live on this razor-sharp edge.

I suppose they could go work at the supermarket bagging groceries or wait in line for handouts and charity or whatever....but that doesn't really reduce their risk of getting sick or spreading the virus anyway....

I know if I could lose my home or business by forced closure, I would 100% support re-opening the economy.

I am very blessed not to be in that position.

It seems to me that people are self-regulating anyway....which is good.

[www.wsj.com]

we'll see...I hope it's the "right" call...b/c we have to get back to work....nothing is going to be "perfect" that's for sure....nothing ever is.

stay safe!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 27, 2020 19:33

Hairball
With the first heatwave upon us here in Southern California, have to say a nice haircut would be nice, but not at the risk of getting a deadly disease...

Yeah, stay safe! You're still needed on the new album, Neil Young and Dylan threads (and some more)!

Hairball
Maybe if I inject a nice dose of lysol and try and cut it myself....? winking smiley. And my wife has offered to cut it for me, but it might end looking like Keith's after getting in a fight with a lawn mower!
...and with the heatwave upon is, gonna go buy some hair clippers and let my wife attempt to cut my hair, but I might end up looking like Curly from the Three Stooges...lol....

How did it go? Any pix? grinning smiley

Alternatively you might end up looking like a pineapple – which gave Ron and Rod a great career! thumbs upsmileys with beer (Once Corvid is over, you might sell out stadiums!)

(My hair got cut last in 1986. It doesn't grow beyond a certain length so I thought I could as well save the money … If my hair wants to leave me I'll find out anyway and soon enough LOL)

Date: April 27, 2020 19:51

stickyfingers101
daspyknows
stickyfingers101

[www.cbsnews.com]

IMO.

In all sincerity (and a calm, neutral, non-confrontational voice which wishes to discuss without fighting): I don't think that "stupid" is the correct choice of word...

the evaluation of "risk vs. rewards" is not an easy or simple one for many people...hence, the choice to re-open is not a simple one either.

Think of people who will lose their businesses or homes without a paycheck..or those who can't put food on the table w/o a paycheck....millions of Americans live on this razor-sharp edge.

I suppose they could go work at the supermarket bagging groceries or wait in line for handouts and charity or whatever....but that doesn't really reduce their risk of getting sick or spreading the virus anyway....

I know if I could lose my home or business by forced closure, I would 100% support re-opening the economy.

[www.wsj.com]

we'll see...I hope it's the "right" call...b/c we have to get back to work....nothing is going to be "perfect" that's for sure....nothing ever is.

stay safe!

Well said. I am still working so I really don't have any financial concerns.

But if I was about to lose my home or my business I would want to be allowed to go back to work or reopen my business now.

Everyone is different and everyone will have to do what is best for them.

If you are at risk. Then don't take the risk. Pretty simple really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-27 19:53 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Date: April 27, 2020 21:26

Update on the CEPI vaccine details posted earlier today:

CEPI do expect to have a vaccine candidate approved by the end of the year, but at that time it will be available for emergency use only, like health personell in the front line. As for large volumes, the timeline for a covid-19 vaccine for the general public is still 12-18 months from now, i.e. best case next summer.

Bjornulf

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 27, 2020 22:05

In Race for a Coronavirus Vaccine, an Oxford Group Leaps Ahead
As scientists at the Jenner Institute prepare for mass clinical trials, new tests show their vaccine to be effective in monkeys.

"In the worldwide race for a vaccine to stop the coronavirus, the laboratory sprinting fastest is at Oxford University.

Most other teams have had to start with small clinical trials of a few hundred participants to demonstrate safety. But scientists at the university’s Jenner Institute had a running start on a vaccine, having proved in previous trials that similar inoculations — including one last year against an earlier coronavirus — were harmless to humans.

That has enabled them to leap ahead and schedule tests of their new coronavirus vaccine involving more than 6,000 people by the end of next month, hoping to show not only that it is safe, but also that it works.

Scientists at the National Institutes of Health’s Rocky Mountain Laboratory in Montana last month inoculated six rhesus macaque monkeys with single doses of the Oxford vaccine. The animals were then exposed to heavy quantities of the virus that is causing the pandemic — exposure that had consistently sickened other monkeys in the lab. But more than 28 days later all six were healthy, said Vincent Munster, the researcher who conducted the test.
“The rhesus macaque is pretty much the closest thing we have to humans,” Dr. Munster said, noting that scientists were still analyzing the result.

The Oxford scientists now say that with an emergency approval from regulators, the first few million doses of their vaccine could be available by September — at least several months ahead of any of the other announced efforts — if it proves to be effective."
[www.nytimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-27 22:08 by MisterDDDD.

Date: April 28, 2020 00:28

Well the Great State of Missouri is about to go back to work!

I am glad but I will not change what I have been doing yet.

I am going to give it another 4 weeks.

Hopefully no spike and less and less cases.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 28, 2020 00:37

doitywoik
Hairball
With the first heatwave upon us here in Southern California, have to say a nice haircut would be nice, but not at the risk of getting a deadly disease...

Yeah, stay safe! You're still needed on the new album, Neil Young and Dylan threads (and some more)!

Hairball
Maybe if I inject a nice dose of lysol and try and cut it myself....? winking smiley. And my wife has offered to cut it for me, but it might end looking like Keith's after getting in a fight with a lawn mower!
...and with the heatwave upon is, gonna go buy some hair clippers and let my wife attempt to cut my hair, but I might end up looking like Curly from the Three Stooges...lol....

Alternatively you might end up looking like a pineapple – which gave Ron and Rod a great career! thumbs upsmileys with beer (Once Corvid is over, you might sell out stadiums!)

(My hair got cut last in 1986. It doesn't grow beyond a certain length so I thought I could as well save the money … If my hair wants to leave me I'll find out anyway and soon enough LOL)

Still holding out on getting a haircut (or injecting myself with lysol haha) or even buying hair clippers as the heat wave has gone as quickly as it arrived.
Plus being near the coast, it really wasn't as bad as expected. Temps bump back up a bit tomorrow, and then they drop back down again, so I think I'll be OK without a haircut for the time being.
Currently sporting a disheveled Boris Johnson hairstyle (glad he's better!), and not quite ready for the Curly/Three Stooges look just yet, but if worse comes to worse...."nyuk, nyuk, nyuk"...I'll have no choice!

Date: April 28, 2020 00:58

Hairball
doitywoik
Hairball

Hairball

Still holding out on getting a haircut (or injecting myself with lysol haha) or even buying hair clippers as the heat wave has gone as quickly as it arrived.
Plus being near the coast, it really wasn't as bad as expected. Temps bump back up a bit tomorrow, and then they drop back down again, so I think I'll be OK without a haircut for the time being.
Currently sporting a disheveled Boris Johnson hairstyle (glad he's better!), and not quite ready for the Curly/Three Stooges look just yet, but if worse comes to worse...."nyuk, nyuk, nyuk"...I'll have no choice!

I'm going for the Larry Fine look....

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 28, 2020 02:09

jumpontopofmebaby
Well the Great State of Missouri is about to go back to work!

I am glad but I will not change what I have been doing yet.

I am going to give it another 4 weeks.

Hopefully no spike and less and less cases.

I feel similarly. Whatever happens here in Florida, I'm going to hold out at least another month. It's not easy though.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 28, 2020 02:37

LOL

Marketing idea (t-shirts, mugs, hoodies, etc.): "There's a virus going round and all I got was this lousy haircut" ... (raising money for Covid charities - but the slogan might be counterproductive)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 28, 2020 02:57

doitywoik
LOL

Marketing idea (t-shirts, mugs, hoodies, etc.): "There's a virus going round and all I got was this lousy haircut" ... (raising money for Covid charities - but the slogan might be counterproductive)

Could be worse - the slogan could say "went out for a haircut, and picked up this lousy virus along the way"...

Stay safe everyone!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 28, 2020 04:41

stickyfingers101
daspyknows
stickyfingers101

[www.cbsnews.com]

IMO.

[www.wsj.com]

stay safe!

Is asinine, idiotic, clueless more applicable? You seem awfully cavalier about other people's lives. Boris Johnson sure has changed his tune after coming close to death. I wonder how you would feel after a bad case?

The government should be doing more to help people not have to work. Waiting in your car at a food bank is less risk than working at a restaurant. Also, do you really think people are going to rush out the the hairdresser, tattoo parlor, restaurant or movie theater?

I hope you plan to go spend your money at these businesses you say should be open. No need for a mask or hand sanitizer either. Keep us apprised on your heath.

Date: April 28, 2020 05:30

to the above^^^^^ (the quote thing getting large)

I totally agree with daspyknows about this stuff. If you've been following, he has an unique perspective & a righteous one. I'm bothered by all the reports of large multi million dollar businesses receiving loans that were meant to keep small businesses afloat during the crisis then giving the money back. Something is rotten in Denmark or wherever that these corporations received the money in the first place while the people who truly needed it receive nothing. The latest was the LA Lakers giving 4.2 million dollars back. While the Lakers may be inconvenienced. I'm sure that its not a matter of life or death. The same goes for large chains of hotels & restaurants gaming the system while the family that owns 1 restaurant doesn't even get past the approval process. I suppose it is a symptom of a larger problem that I won't start a fight about. To coin a phrase, as someone who is at risk I'm going to be squirrelly about going out again just because the government says its ok. They have other motives other than our good health & my trust in those institutions is at an all time low.

Date: April 28, 2020 12:33

Colorado & Nevada join west coast reopening alliance. Not necessary for this but it would be good if we could get Hawaii & Alaska in the alliance. Maybe united, the western US could stand up more to the east coast bias. When the virus broke out in Washington & California, people I know on the east coast didn't take it seriously because it wasn't affecting them. Of course, their tune changed rather quickly.

Western state alliance

Date: April 28, 2020 12:44

The CDC has updated the list of symptoms for COVID-19.

Previous list of symptoms:
shortness of breath
cough
fever
Additions to list:
Chills
Repeated shaking with chills
Muscle pain
Headache
Sore throat
New loss of taste or smell

COVID-19 symptoms

Date: April 28, 2020 13:17

A person near me was terribly sick for a month or so, probably by covid-19. After self-quarantining for two weeks or so, the condition got worse, calling for an ambulance. The ambulance arrived for a home call visit, with complete protection stuff body face etc. The patient was given gloves, oxygen level measure through a finger meter, blood pressure, lung test etc. Then it was defined safe to stay at home, as all the measures were fine. They did not bother to take any corona virus test. This was a couple of weeks ago, at the time when hospitals in the big city was busy, and when they did only test people working at hospitals, and patients arriving into hospitals with a bad condition.

The most typical symptoms are shortness of breath, coughing, fever, but often also loss of taste and smelling. May be 40% to 50% of all people with covid-19 does not feel that ill at all, and they might not know they do have the disease.

There is an alarming condition where strong people, staying at home with covid-19, simply do not understand how sick they are. They sure feel the disease, but they don't really feel that bad. Then they get worse, get to the hospital, and there they measure their oxygen level to be very low, and some times they simply die, because of the low oxygen level, arriving too late for the hospital.

They say it is important to check the breathing. Having a faster breathing, and a heartbeat that goes from normal say 60 beats or so per minute into 90 or 100, without doing anything physically, is alarming. I thing that is why they measure the oxygen level as one of the first steps, simply because it is a clear medical sign of trouble. Also it is easy to measure.

Bjornulf

Date: April 28, 2020 14:13

Pandemics spread exponential. The following video is a good example of exponential growth:

Exponential Growth: How Folding A Paper 45 times Can Get You to the Moon

Bjornulf

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 28, 2020 14:37

I have a curious question - What percentage of youth (18 and under) have suffered under this pandemic?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 28, 2020 15:14

Mask mania: an international free-for-all.

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 28, 2020 15:25

Green Lady
Mask mania: an international free-for-all.

[www.theguardian.com]

Recommended - it's long, but this article ("The craziest market I've ever seen"/ Inside the global struggle for masks) is a very interesting and pretty sobering read.

Date: April 28, 2020 15:39

For those about to Rock. Or in this case ... re open

We salute you.

Be safe

Be smart

It is time to get this country moving again!!

Date: April 28, 2020 15:41

Chris Fountain
I have a curious question - What percentage of youth (18 and under) have suffered under this pandemic?

NYC numbers from April 14 i.e. 2 weeks ago:

[www1.nyc.gov]

Age 0-17 do have a total of 3 deaths, all with underlying conditions
This is 0.04% of the total number of deaths 6,839 by that date.

Worldometer, same data:
[www.worldometers.info]

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...115116117118119120121122123124125...LastNext
Current Page: 120 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1156
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home