Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...106107108109110111112113114115116...LastNext
Current Page: 111 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: April 21, 2020 12:24

bv
May be it is time to listen to the experts, like Dr. Anthony Fauci? There must be a reason why Dr Fauchi is standing next to the US president at the press briefings.

This is what Dr. Anthony Fauci said on Sunday, January 26th:

"It isn't something the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about, because we have ways of preparing and screening of people coming in [from China]," National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Director Anthony Fauci told "The Cats Roundtable" on 970 AM-N.Y., per The Hill.

"And we have ways of responding – like we did with this one case in Seattle, Washington, who had traveled to China and brought back the infection."

"It's a very, very low risk to the United States, but it's something that we as public health officials need to take very seriously," Fauci added to host John Catsimatidis, per The Hill.

I won't even go the advice and council he gave during the AIDS and Ebola virus. He's a virologist, for certain, but he's also a globalist basking in his power. Two seconds after the COVID-19 pandemic ends he goes back to being a nameless, faceless Washington bureaucrat.

Note Fauci too is expressing support for a gradual reopening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-21 12:26 by StonedInTokyo.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 21, 2020 12:38

bv
StonedInTokyo

Bv did post that photo, as well as the tabloid trash article "Gun-toting Trump voters march against US lockdown despite world's highest deaths"
(MIRROR UK 17 APR 2020)

So let's not kid ourselves about what is not allowed here.

I posted these two items because they are in the news headlines all over the world. Americans with large automatic guns on the streets, and a president saying on twitter he support these people. May be the news in USA have a different story, but these are the stories we see on the main news where I live.

Tabloid trash? The Guardian is probably one of the most respected UK newspapers. It has been named "newspaper of the year" four times at the annual British Press Awards: most recently in 2014, for its reporting on government surveillance.

The problem with USA is that everything is viewed overtly political nowadays... if one chooses to report on something, no matter how fact-based it is, that's always seen as a political decision - a means to some political aim. No fact, no scientific result, is immune to politics. The easiest way for an outside observer to divide the right/left division is to see how they write about Trump (seen for example in this thread): if one says anything critical in regard to Trump, or something that is somehow to be interpreted as negative news from Trump's point of view, no matter how fact-based it is, that's automatically 'fake news', that is, 'left'. If one praises Trump, one is 'right'. By this logic, 99% of the mainstream western media outside the US is fake news and left. By this logic, most of the media in the US in the past has always been fake news and left, no matter had it been democratic- or republican-based/biased.

That's terrible for the functions of a free, critical press - a pillar of a free democracy. Not just informing the people about the events in the world, it is a traditional function of the press to invistigate and critizise the administrations and of their chosen politics and possible misdoings - that's what most of the media still is doing all around the free world. That keeps the democratic institutions healthy, accountible and open to criticism. For example, here in Finland, it doesn't matter if the administration is left or right, the mainstream press will hammer it nevertheless. That's their duty. For example, although Finland's acts in fighting the coronavirus has been praised all over the world, Finnish press is not giving an easy time for our administration - every possible act or non-act is under a microscope and any possible misdoing is reported. And the people in power, our ministers, need to answer to the criticism (something we see about everyday in television, etc.). That's also their duty.

The alternative is the route of PRAVDA of the old Soviet days - news nothing to do with facts or reality, just to praise the administration and chosen politics. By the absence of possible criticism and fact-checking, the people in power not taking any responsibility. Unfortunately, Hungary has already legalized the route by suppressing critical media (terribly using the crisis for own political gain). And that exactly is also the route Trump and his campaign against 'fake news' has been and is now going and aiming at, made possible by the mainstream-like presence of Fox News and Murdoch media empire (legitimate places to build up an universe of 'alternative facts'). Thankfully, the democratic constitution of USA is founded so strong that it will stand it, but it will be rottened inside. As we have seen. That's what replacing facts and moral/political responsibility with blame game and hate does.

That said, surely we have a right-wing populistic movement in Finland, like everywhere in Western world, which views the mainstream media as 'fake news' and 'liberal-based', dislikes/ignores science and facts, emphasizes nationalism, roots for Trump and Putin, digs walls and plots, etc. but that is still a rather marginal movement, although enjoying a rather strong percantage of popular vote (20%). They don't have a big alternative fact media like Fox News to rely on, but are more like shouting in a social media and in their own blogs. Since Finland, like many European countries, has a multiply party system, the 'fake news' people have no means to take a power (other parties are not interested to co-operate with them, that is, to form a government with them), unlike in USA where the populist movement took over the Republican party (or in UK where they took over, at least in to regard to Brexit, Conservative party). They need an absolute majority to do that. As it happened in Hungary.

I thought giving an opinion from outside was needed here, since this this thread seems to concern so much about US media.

- Doxa

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-21 13:05 by Doxa.

Date: April 21, 2020 13:01

bv
StonedInTokyo
TheflyingDutchman
I agree, but I don't go into politics, cause BV won't allow it. The picture he posted says it all though.winking smiley

Bv did post that photo, as well as the tabloid trash article "Gun-toting Trump voters march against US lockdown despite world's highest deaths"
(MIRROR UK 17 APR 2020)

So let's not kid ourselves about what is not allowed here.

I posted these two items because they are in the news headlines all over the world. Americans with large automatic guns on the streets, and a president saying on twitter he support these people. May be the news in USA have a different story, but these are the stories we see on the main news where I live.

Tabloid trash? The Guardian is probably one of the most respected UK newspapers. It has been named "newspaper of the year" four times at the annual British Press Awards: most recently in 2014, for its reporting on government surveillance.

Thanks.thumbs up

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 21, 2020 13:12

StonedInTokyo
bv
May be it is time to listen to the experts, like Dr. Anthony Fauci? There must be a reason why Dr Fauchi is standing next to the US president at the press briefings.

This is what Dr. Anthony Fauci said on Sunday, January 26th:

"It isn't something the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about, because we have ways of preparing and screening of people coming in [from China]," National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Director Anthony Fauci told "The Cats Roundtable" on 970 AM-N.Y., per The Hill.

"And we have ways of responding – like we did with this one case in Seattle, Washington, who had traveled to China and brought back the infection."

"It's a very, very low risk to the United States, but it's something that we as public health officials need to take very seriously," Fauci added to host John Catsimatidis, per The Hill.

I won't even go the advice and council he gave during the AIDS and Ebola virus. He's a virologist, for certain, but he's also a globalist basking in his power. Two seconds after the COVID-19 pandemic ends he goes back to being a nameless, faceless Washington bureaucrat.

Note Fauci too is expressing support for a gradual reopening.

It would be nice if you could add a link i.e. a source to your Dr Fauchi quotes. This is the source:

The Hill - The newspaper claims to have more than 24,000 print readers as of 2019. The Hill is distributed for free in newspaper boxes around the U.S. Capitol building, and mailed directly to all congressional offices.

In 2019, CNN reported that Finkelstein (primary shareholder of The Hill) was interfering in the editorial independence of the paper in an inappropriate way to minimize criticism of American President Donald Trump. They reported that staff were "in revolt" over Finkelstein's ownership style.

Government health agency official: Coronavirus 'isn't something the American public need to worry about' (The Hill Jan 26, 2020)

This is the other side of the story, how parts of the US press have been picking whatever they like from what Dr Fauchi has been saying during the past few months, then ignoring the rest opf what he also said:

Dr. Anthony Fauci was correct — more importantly, he was humble (The Washington Examiner April 06, 2020)

In certain political circles, it has apparently become important to knock Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

One prominent article at RealClearPolitics argues that in January, Fauci told the public not to worry about the novel coronavirus and that “the administration’s initial reassurances were largely aligned with the assessments of the medical community,” specifically Fauci.

This is not true, and the contention rests on misrepresenting Fauci’s comments.

There's no way we would lock everyone in New York City. It’s not “downplaying” the seriousness of the virus to state that the United States will not stop all planes, trucks, ferries, and trains from running into or out of major cities. It’s commenting on the supremacy of civil liberties and freedom of movement in the U.S. as compared to China.

When asked on that podcast to make a prediction as if he “had a crystal ball,” Fauci gave the following noncommittal answer: “I think things are going to get worse before they get better. And whether this turns into a global pandemic, before it is something that becomes entrenched and we can’t do anything about it, [depends on] if the Chinese can put their arms around, as it were, the outbreak in China, and [whether] ... related countries handle it well enough so that it doesn’t evolve into a sustained outbreak in their country. I think there’s a possibility that it could be turned around the way SARS was turned around. But it’s gonna be a real tightrope walk.”

“There’s a possibility it could be turned around” means: We might be able to prevent a pandemic.

Bjornulf

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 21, 2020 13:15

Doxa, your post was very well written and so very true 100% , which I agree with you and live it every day here in the US . I do believe it is a cycle which will pass one day and some semblance of normalcy will resume where we as a society will return to a more democratic process of facts and science and leave behind all the fear mongering and hatred that has consumed such a huge part of our landscape . God Help us !

Date: April 21, 2020 14:30

When I went to the university in the 70's, our teachers, the professors, told us we were there to learn how sort out information, not just to memorize stuff told us by someone. That was the main task of the university, to train us on how to sort our the essential information, in a large large information flow.

So after that, even now, I am never satisfied with getting info from one source. As for Stones rumours, or about the corona virus, or any other info, I like to see it from all sides. If you trust one information channel only, or just a few ones, then you might not see the complete picture.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-21 14:33 by bv.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 21, 2020 14:47

The Largest Risk We Face is a Second or Third Large-Scale Pandemic Wave
"Most deaths from the 1918 Flu came during its second wave. A second substantial wave of the COVID-19 pandemic in the US would trigger a second large-scale lockdown and necessitate another round of costly stimulus."

[tobin.yale.edu]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 21, 2020 15:16

This is silly- should we be concerned with what the tennis world thinks about COVID-19?confused smiley

"Novak Djokovic says he may reconsider his anti-vaccination stand"

[www.foxbusiness.com]

Date: April 21, 2020 15:18

Several states in USA are now opening up. This is from the CDC reporting on how the corona virus spread in places like restaurants. Be prepared.

COVID-19 Outbreak Associated with Air Conditioning in Restaurant, Guangzhou, China, 2020 (CDC USA)

Figure. Sketch showing arrangement of restaurant tables and air conditioning airflow at site of outbreak of 2019 novel coronavirus disease, Guangzhou, China, 2020. Red circles indicate seating of future case-patients; yellow-filled red circle indicates index case-patient.

Restaurant X is an air-conditioned, 5-floor building without windows. The third floor dining area occupies 145 m2; each floor has its own air conditioner (Figure). The distance between each table is about 1 m. Families A and B were each seated for an overlapping period of 53 minutes and families A and C for an overlapping period of 73 minutes. The air outlet and the return air inlet for the central air conditioner were located above table C ( Figure, panel B ).

On January 24, a total of 91 persons (83 customers, 8 staff members) were in the restaurant. Of these, a total of 83 had eaten lunch at 15 tables on the third floor. Among the 83 customers, 10 became ill with COVID-19; the other 73 were identified as close contacts and quarantined for 14 days. During that period, no symptoms developed, and throat swab samples from the contacts and 6 smear samples from the air conditioner (3 from the air outlet and 3 from the air inlet) were negative for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 by reverse transcription PCR.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-21 15:21 by bv.

Date: April 21, 2020 15:25

bv

American citizens not convicted of a felony have a constitutional right to carry automatic weapons in public. Your post said story ran in The Mirror, a tabloid, not the Guardian which is a more reputable and balanced publication.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-21 15:33 by StonedInTokyo.

Date: April 21, 2020 15:32

Doxa
The problem with USA is that everything is viewed overtly political nowadays...

"Gun-toting Trump voters march against US lockdown despite world's highest deaths"
IS overtly political. An obscenely polarizing/political headline.

Want to see what an apolitical headline would look like:

"American Citizens Protest COVID-19 Pandemic Policies".

Date: April 21, 2020 15:34

StonedInTokyo
bv

American citizens not convicted of a felony have a constitutional right to carry automatic weapons in public.

Perhaps I misread your post which referenced The Mirror, a tabloid, not the Guardian which is a more reputable and balanced publication.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-21 15:41 by StonedInTokyo.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 21, 2020 15:35

StonedInTokyo
bv

Tabloid trash? The Guardian is probably one of the most respected UK newspapers. It has been named "newspaper of the year" four times at the annual British Press Awards: most recently in 2014, for its reporting on government surveillance.[[/quote]

American citizens not convicted of a felony have a constitutional right to carry automatic weapons in public. Your post said story ran in The Mirror, a tabloid, not the Guardian which is a more reputable and balanced publication.

It's semi-automatic weapons to be accurate. Fully automatic takes a special license usually reserved for so called collectors. & only some states allow openly carrying firearms in public (not talking about hunting in the wilderness). No opinion given on this by me.

Date: April 21, 2020 15:43

crholmstrom
StonedInTokyo
bv

Tabloid trash? The Guardian is probably one of the most respected UK newspapers. It has been named "newspaper of the year" four times at the annual British Press Awards: most recently in 2014, for its reporting on government surveillance.[[/quote]

It's semi-automatic weapons to be accurate. Fully automatic takes a special license usually reserved for so called collectors. & only some states allow openly carrying firearms in public (not talking about hunting in the wilderness). No opinion given on this by me.

No worries. With the benefit of hindsight I should have posted that they have the right to bear arms, which would avoid any semantic arguments altogether.

Date: April 21, 2020 15:44

[www.foxnews.com]

Interesting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-21 15:46 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: April 21, 2020 16:11

Hairball
cmc
SomeTorontoGirl
If anyone gets the Smithsonian channel, there is a series called America’s Hidden Stories and tonight’s episode deals with the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic, including what happens when the curve isn’t quite flattened and society reopens. Someone who has already seen it recommended it for me, I have it set to record.

Thanks for the tip! I just finished watching the show - fascinating.
For those interested:
Smithsonian channel. America’s Hidden Stories. Pandemic 1918

Look it up. I was able to watch it “on demand”.

Just looked at the channel guide for Smithsonian, and tonight's episode of America’s Hidden Stories is titled "CIA Cyber Attack" about some 1982 CIA/Russian/computer virus conspiracy ...sounds semi-interesting.
Looked up Smithsonian On Demand, and for some reason that show is not even listed...there's Aerial America, Air Disasters, America in Color, etc., etc., etc....hmmm...guess I'll watch the CIA Cyber Attack episode....

In other news, just heard that Kim Jong Un is in possible grave danger after a mystery surgery...intriguing... [www.cnn.com]

Pandemic 1918 is listed as Season 1 Episode 3
I don’t see the episodes you listed in my season 1 lineup. And my only option is season 1. No other seasons.

Date: April 21, 2020 16:40

StonedInTokyo
bv

Automatic weapons in public:
What is the purpose of carrying automatic weapons in the public, at a demonstration? To shoot the virus? To shoot other human beings? Or just looking very strong? I just don't get it.

References:
I posted this reference from the UK newspaper The Guardian on April 20, 2020 22:27, see page 108 of this thread. It was NOT a story in The Mirror...

jumpontopofmebaby

But don't label them Trump supporters just because they are not doing what you want them to do.

Trump calls protesters against stay-at-home orders 'very responsible' (The Guardian 18 Apr 2020)

“LIBERATE MINNESOTA!” the US president wrote in capital letters on Friday. “LIBERATE MICHIGAN!”

He followed up with a third tweet: “LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!” – a reference to Virginia’s governor, Ralph Northam, last week signing into law new measures on gun control.

Trump has repeatedly ignored his own entreaty to put partisan politics aside during the coronavirus pandemic. His latest provocative interventions followed demonstrations against stay-at-home orders in Michigan, Ohio, North Carolina, Virginia and other states that have drawn elements of the far right.

Some protesters have carried guns, waved Trump and Confederate flags and sought to frame the debate as a defence of constitutional freedoms. They have been egged on by conservative media hosts such as Fox News’s Jeanine Pirro, who said: “What happened in Lansing [Michigan] today, God bless them: it’s going to happen all over the country.”

Demonstraters with automatic guns:
Do you mean to say that Daily Mirror photoshopped this picture, or is it for real? I have seen the same picture on live TV on several news channels in Europe, so I assume it is a real photo.

Why do you question the realities of this photo? Why do you state The Mirror is a tabloid? Is the picture fake news? Or is the picture indeed heavily armed protesters gathered on the steps of the Michigan State Capitol in Lansing, Michigan?

The world is chocked when they see this picture. They simply can not believe it. But I am sorry to say that it is for real, right?

Bjornulf

Date: April 21, 2020 16:48

bv
StonedInTokyo
bv

What is the purpose of carrying automatic weapons in the public, at a demonstration? To shoot the virus? To shoot other human beings? Or just looking very strong? I just don't get it.

References:
I posted this reference from the UK newspaper The Guardian on April 20, 2020 22:27, see page 108 of this thread. It was NOT a story in The Mirror...

jumpontopofmebaby

But don't label them Trump supporters just because they are not doing what you want them to do.

Trump calls protesters against stay-at-home orders 'very responsible' (The Guardian 18 Apr 2020)

“LIBERATE MINNESOTA!” the US president wrote in capital letters on Friday. “LIBERATE MICHIGAN!”

He followed up with a third tweet: “LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!” – a reference to Virginia’s governor, Ralph Northam, last week signing into law new measures on gun control.

Trump has repeatedly ignored his own entreaty to put partisan politics aside during the coronavirus pandemic. His latest provocative interventions followed demonstrations against stay-at-home orders in Michigan, Ohio, North Carolina, Virginia and other states that have drawn elements of the far right.

Some protesters have carried guns, waved Trump and Confederate flags and sought to frame the debate as a defence of constitutional freedoms. They have been egged on by conservative media hosts such as Fox News’s Jeanine Pirro, who said: “What happened in Lansing [Michigan] today, God bless them: it’s going to happen all over the country.”

Do you mean to say that Daily Mirror photoshopped this picture, or is it for real? I have seen the same picture on live TV on several news channels in Europe, so I assume it is a real photo.

Why do you question the realities of this photo? Why do you state The Mirror is a tabloid? Is the picture fake news? Or is the picture indeed heavily armed protesters gathered on the steps of the Michigan State Capitol in Lansing, Michigan?

The world is chocked when they see this picture. They simply can not believe it. But I am sorry to say that it is for real, right?

I see many people but only one sign.

[www.foxnews.com]

This is real and why so many people are over it. If you are worried and if you are at high risk its time to take care of yourself.

People are ready to get back to work

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-21 16:49 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 21, 2020 16:50

bv
StonedInTokyo
bv

References:

jumpontopofmebaby

I think if you asked them they would say:

a) "b/c it is my right to do so and I am publicly expressing my right"

b) "to defend myself against the prospect of police brutality"

In their opinion, Letter A is no different than any other right.

Letter B is why the Black Panthers did the same thing back in the 1960s...whether this is the same or not is highly debatable.

I'm not condoning, not defending, not supporting, not opposing....America is an interesting place. I could go into a long-winded explanation as to why it is so hard for the "rest of the world" to understand the "gun-thing" in the US, if somebody is interested.....

I simply let them be who they want...if they aren't physically hurting anyone, they can go out and tote their guns...no biggie w/ me....same w/ anybody else who goes out to the streets to express their right(s)...to abortion, to gay-marriage, to gun-rights, to whatever....if you're not violent, you're OK w/ me.

I will sit and talk w/ anyone.....but, confrontation only leads to further confrontation.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 21, 2020 16:57

Someone please explain to me what in the world is the need to be armed to this extent in the photo above ? 2nd Amendment is not the answer to be walking around with semi automatic or fully automatic weapons in a peaceful law abiding civilized society . It is completely ludicrous that with pain, death, and suffering, from COVID-19 in huge numbers that the right to bear arms has now all of a sudden become a part of the Corona Virus .

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: April 21, 2020 17:08

A 3 part story

[twitter.com]

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: April 21, 2020 17:15

StonedInTokyo
5stringTele
The restrictions are in effect in the name of public health, which means it's bigger than the individual. I'd like to see those who want those restrictions lifted sign a release ensuring they will waive any medical treatment if/when they fall ill with Covid-19. If you want to risk your own health, you should have no right to take hospital beds away from innocent victims of Covid-19 (not to mention all of the patients needing other life-saving surgeries or treatments). You may have the right to risk your own health to cover for the fact that you didn't save enough money to survive a drought, but you don't have the right to wreck the healthcare system for everybody else.

By this logic, homosexuals should have been signing medical release waivers during the AIDS epidemic. Mic drop.

Saying Covid-19 is just like AIDS or the seasonal Flu exposes a dangerous level of ignorance. AIDS never threatened to overrun the American healthcare system and turn our limited ICU space into dedicated infectious disease wards. Add to that the depletion of PPE and the horrific personal strain on our medical professionals. Of course, those who don't have any compassion for the elderly who will die this horrible death are even less likely to give a shit about doctors and nurses.

Maybe some people should leave their arrogant and childish mic drops out of this and try to have an adult, knowledgeable and rational conversation.

----------------

Elsewhere:

To those who say the people are ready to return to work: I agree and have great empathy for them, but it doesn't matter if the people are ready when the virus is not ready to quit spreading.

To those questioning the need for carrying automatic weapons to the protests: I believe it serves the dual purpose of trying to recruit gun nuts to the anti-lockdown crowd, and because the protesters want to appear more menacing/intimidating.

Date: April 21, 2020 17:36

[www.foxnews.com]

You cannot ignore this.

Date: April 21, 2020 19:35

Travel restrictions on non-US citizens.

Because no American could come from China with the virus...

Date: April 21, 2020 20:13

You could argue that the US, the UK, etc could be sued for their past deeds.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 21, 2020 20:50

It will not be easy moving back manufacturing operations to USA overnight. However, With the pandemic in mind this may be quicker than we think. after things calm down.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 21, 2020 21:05

jumpontopofmebaby
[www.foxnews.com]

You cannot ignore this.

weird. scary.

However, in a "glass is half-full" sort of thinking, this would indicate that a lot of people get it & fight it off w/ no symptoms...that's good.

the sucky part is the "transmission w/o knowing you are carrying"....meaning people are spreading it around w/o knowing and as a result, others ARE getting sick and getting pounded w/ symptoms.

this sounds a lot like HPV...tons of men carry it w/o ever having a symptom....and lots of women end up w/ all sorts of issues (like cervical cancer).

obviously not the same...especially by the way it is transmitted and Corona has far more extreme and rapid-onset symptoms....and men are getting hammered more than women w/ Corona, for whatever reason.

we're not gonna understand this thing for a loooong time, me thinks.

this is starting to make me wonder if I've fought it off w/o knowing. Weird.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 21, 2020 21:27

cmc
Hairball
cmc
SomeTorontoGirl
If anyone gets the Smithsonian channel, there is a series called America’s Hidden Stories and tonight’s episode deals with the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic, including what happens when the curve isn’t quite flattened and society reopens. Someone who has already seen it recommended it for me, I have it set to record.

Thanks for the tip! I just finished watching the show - fascinating.
For those interested:
Smithsonian channel. America’s Hidden Stories. Pandemic 1918

Look it up. I was able to watch it “on demand”.

Just looked at the channel guide for Smithsonian, and tonight's episode of America’s Hidden Stories is titled "CIA Cyber Attack" about some 1982 CIA/Russian/computer virus conspiracy ...sounds semi-interesting.
Looked up Smithsonian On Demand, and for some reason that show is not even listed...there's Aerial America, Air Disasters, America in Color, etc., etc., etc....hmmm...guess I'll watch the CIA Cyber Attack episode....

In other news, just heard that Kim Jong Un is in possible grave danger after a mystery surgery...intriguing... [www.cnn.com]

Pandemic 1918 is listed as Season 1 Episode 3
I don’t see the episodes you listed in my season 1 lineup. And my only option is season 1. No other seasons.

Hmmm I see...must be that different cable companies have different "On Demand" listings as again Smithsonian On Demand here has none of the episodes. The channel itself does air the show (as I mentioned above), but not sure what seaon that "CIA" episode is from as I can't scroll back to last night's info on the tv...must be season 2. Looking at tonight's lineup on Smithsonian though, and see there's "Apocalypse: The Second World War" series from 2009 which I recall being very good - might have to tune in to that! Not sure when America’s Hidden Stories airs next, but I'll keep my eyes peeled as I really want to see the Pandemic 1918 episode!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 21, 2020 21:54

StonedInTokyo
daspyknows
If YOU smoke YOU will kill YOU. If you are infected with coronavirus YOU will kill OTHER INNOCENT PEOPLE. How is that the same? It is like drunk driving. Are you ok with that too?

You don't lock a nation of 330 million people down for a virus that by and large is NOT a mortal threat to anyone under 55 with no serious underlying medical conditions. If for whatever reason the virus is a mortal threat to YOU, then YOU may CHOOSE to STAY HOME and STAY SAFE. Let's face the fact that virus prevention has become VASTLY more damaging than the damn virus itself.

So this innocent 5 year old girl didn't face a mortal threat? You sound like the Florida governor here. When meat packing plants and distribution centers become hot spots it will spread through the community and this virus is so contagious that people are susceptible to catch it from outside. Don't forget nursing homes. Residents have no say in it, they aren't leaving their homes.

[www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 21, 2020 21:58

StonedInTokyo
Nate
The cure may be considered more damaging than the virus but take away that cure and then you will really see how deadly this virus can be.
There was simply no other option but to shut down and keep people away from each other otherwise you would have people dying in hospital corridors as they were in Italy or even in the street outside because there is no more room in the hospital.
And today I read that in the state of Georgia USA they are going to open up cinemas and nail salons this Friday because they consider these to be essential business.This is both unbelievably stupid and evil.

It's not a may be, the prevention IS more damaging than the virus. The American people went along with this for the sake of "flattening the curve". Ok? Mission accomplished. It's time to reopen the country. Period. We can quibble at state level how that is to be achieved, but we're not gonna stay hiding in our homes afraid of the COVID-19 boogeyman indefinitely. In fact, you'll begin to see THE PEOPLE have decided enough is enough.

Wait, how do you calculate the curve has been flattened? Maybe in NYC and a few other places. America as a whole, not a chance.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...106107108109110111112113114115116...LastNext
Current Page: 111 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home