Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...103104105106107108109110111112113...LastNext
Current Page: 108 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 20, 2020 21:16

If anyone gets the Smithsonian channel, there is a series called America’s Hidden Stories and tonight’s episode deals with the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic, including what happens when the curve isn’t quite flattened and society reopens. Someone who has already seen it recommended it for me, I have it set to record.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 20, 2020 21:24

SomeTorontoGirl
If anyone gets the Smithsonian channel, there is a series called America’s Hidden Stories and tonight’s episode deals with the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic, including what happens when the curve isn’t quite flattened and society reopens. Someone who has already seen it recommended it for me, I have it set to record.

It is 102 years ago, but people don't learn from history...

A parade that killed thousands? (The Week April 18, 2020)

On Sept. 28, 1918, Philadelphia city officials refused to cancel their parade amid the Spanish flu pandemic, with devastating health consequences.

By the second week in November, 12,000 Phila­del­phians were dead, and the phrase "bodies stacked like cordwood" had become commonplace among the survivors. "It was an apocalyptic scene," said Davis. "In some cases, public-health nurses would be walking into tenements and finding whole families dead." Bodies piled up on sidewalks after the city morgue, capable of holding only 36 people, was overwhelmed. Within six months, 16,000 were dead, and 500,000 Phil­a­del­phians had fallen ill with the flu.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 21:24 by bv.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 20, 2020 21:41

I see and hear so many idiots want to end the caution and just resume normal activities . For me that is impossible without a vaccine . People have lost there minds , for instance people protesting in front of State Capitals demanding there rights to live there lives as they see fit .

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 20, 2020 21:48

Hairball
Having caught up with the last page of this thread, I can see things have already become ugly regarding these protests throughout the country....what a shame.
And this Ben Dorr character along with his brothers of the extreme “Minnesota Gun Rights" group...dangerous....

Agree. This protesting with guns in hand is only asking for trouble and
designed to intimidate. These images are simply pathetic - grown men and women playing army in public. This needs to stop otherwise innocent lives will be lost in the escalation.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: April 20, 2020 22:04

bv
SomeTorontoGirl

On Sept. 28, 1918, Philadelphia city officials refused to cancel their parade amid the Spanish flu pandemic, with devastating health consequences.

By the second week in November, 12,000 Phila­del­phians were dead, and the phrase "bodies stacked like cordwood" had become commonplace among the survivors. "It was an apocalyptic scene," said Davis. "In some cases, public-health nurses would be walking into tenements and finding whole families dead." Bodies piled up on sidewalks after the city morgue, capable of holding only 36 people, was overwhelmed. Within six months, 16,000 were dead, and 500,000 Phil­a­del­phians had fallen ill with the flu.

The Trump supporters of Philadelphia took to the streets today, protesting the lockdown and acting like fools!

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 22:12

swimtothemoon
Hairball
Having caught up with the last page of this thread, I can see things have already become ugly regarding these protests throughout the country....what a shame.
And this Ben Dorr character along with his brothers of the extreme “Minnesota Gun Rights" group...dangerous....

Agree. This protesting with guns in hand is only asking for trouble and
designed to intimidate. These images are simply pathetic - grown men and women playing army in public. This needs to stop otherwise innocent lives will be lost in the escalation.
They don't care.

Lives are not as valuable as freedom. Sorry, other people's lives, of course.

Date: April 20, 2020 22:33

Holy Moly the price of oil....wow wee

Date: April 20, 2020 22:34

DREAMTIME
bv
SomeTorontoGirl

The Trump supporters of Philadelphia took to the streets today, protesting the lockdown and acting like fools!

Were all of them just Trump supporters?

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 20, 2020 22:42

EddieByword
MisterDDDD
These presidentially endorsed/encouraged protests really enrage me.
This is in my state, Washington today.

Throwing a selfish tantrum that endangers everyone because of their ignorance.
Personal to me, our state had the first case in the US and we are just now reaching the flattened curve stage.
Fools.

[www.nytimes.com]

Dangerous spoilt children exercisng 'their rights' - I realised, when it comes to nature and natural disasters there's no such thing as 'Human rights'........................with this lot, even more reasaon to isolate.........

In the UK, they could be arrested for this..........what's the deal there?......

These are idiot teabaggers funded by conservative sources. They do not believe in science.

Date: April 20, 2020 22:51

MisterDDDD
TheflyingDutchman
Maybe this also tells us something about the American social safety net. If you loose your job overseas, you're in serious trouble i.e. also might loose your health insurance, if you have one anyway. These thoughts only scares the hell out of people.

These protests are tied more to gun rights groups from the far right.
The really far right, who oppose even the NRA for not being militant enough.

Pro-gun activists using Facebook groups to push anti-quarantine protests
"A trio of far-right, pro-gun provocateurs is behind some of the largest Facebook groups calling for anti-quarantine protests around the country, offering the latest illustration that some seemingly organic demonstrations are being engineered by a network of conservative activists.

The Facebook groups target Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York, and they appear to be the work of Ben Dorr, the political director of a group called “Minnesota Gun Rights,” and his siblings, Christopher and Aaron. By Sunday, the groups had roughly 200,000 members combined, and they continued to expand quickly, days after President Trump endorsed such protests by suggesting citizens should “liberate” their states.
The Dorr brothers manage a slew of pro-gun groups across a wide range of states, from Iowa to Minnesota to New York, and seek primarily to discredit organizations like the National Rifle Association as being too compromising on gun safety. Minnesota Gun Rights, for instance, describes itself as the state’s “no-compromise gun rights organization.”

The online activity instigated by the brothers helps cement the impression that opposition to the restrictions is more widespread than polling suggests. Nearly 70 percent of Republicans said they supported a national stay-at-home order, according to a recent Quinnipiac poll. Ninety-five percent of Democrats backed such a measure in the survey.
[www.washingtonpost.com]

This will be thinning the herd. I got a phot of a flyer being posted in Nashville. Not sure how to post from phone but the text is as follows

END THE LOCKDOWN RALLY
NO MASK NEEDED
BRING YOUR CHILDREN
NON ESSENTIAL WORKERS
IF YOU ARE SICK, STILL COME. ITS YOUR RIGHT

SUNDAY APRIL 19TH CONFERENCE HOUSE LAWN

KEEP AMERICA GREAT

#MAGA #ENDTHESHUTDOWN

These people deserve to catch it, they do not deserve to spread it to the innocent

Date: April 20, 2020 22:54

EddieByword
Nate
MisterDDDD
The images/videos of the two nurses in Colorado, counter-protesting the protesters are moving.
Protester pictured here telling the asian-americas nurse he should "go back to china".

Health care workers block protesters challenging stay-at-home order in Denver
[thehill.com]

Wouldn’t mind betting her T-shirt was made in Asia.

Nate

And I wouldn't mind betting she has a diet of FatDonalds and Bud that has turned her brain to mush...............confused smiley .....they are diverting health care workers off the front line.........unbelievable

Just inject her with the virus and save the country.

Date: April 20, 2020 23:02

jumpontopofmebaby
DREAMTIME
bv
SomeTorontoGirl

How many wearing MAGA hats?

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 20, 2020 23:04

Times have changed since Rock & Roll Circus 1968. Except for Mick and his song.

Date: April 20, 2020 23:04

daspyknows
jumpontopofmebaby
DREAMTIME
bv
SomeTorontoGirl

I don't see any

Date: April 20, 2020 23:09

jumpontopofmebaby
daspyknows
jumpontopofmebaby
DREAMTIME
bv
SomeTorontoGirl

I don't see any

It's not republicans or democrats period. It is just people that can't take it anymore. Not saying it is right. I actually think it is wrong.

But don't label them Trump supporters just because they are not doing what you want them to do.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 23:11 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 20, 2020 23:22

Oil is now free - stock price at ~ -$35 a barrel

[www.foxbusiness.com]

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 20, 2020 23:25

Chris Fountain
Oil is now free - stock price at ~ -$35 a barrel

[www.foxbusiness.com]

First time in history this has ever happened.

Nate

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 20, 2020 23:27

jumpontopofmebaby

But don't label them Trump supporters just because they are not doing what you want them to do.

Trump calls protesters against stay-at-home orders 'very responsible' (The Guardian 18 Apr 2020)

“LIBERATE MINNESOTA!” the US president wrote in capital letters on Friday. “LIBERATE MICHIGAN!”

He followed up with a third tweet: “LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!” – a reference to Virginia’s governor, Ralph Northam, last week signing into law new measures on gun control.

Trump has repeatedly ignored his own entreaty to put partisan politics aside during the coronavirus pandemic. His latest provocative interventions followed demonstrations against stay-at-home orders in Michigan, Ohio, North Carolina, Virginia and other states that have drawn elements of the far right.

Some protesters have carried guns, waved Trump and Confederate flags and sought to frame the debate as a defence of constitutional freedoms. They have been egged on by conservative media hosts such as Fox News’s Jeanine Pirro, who said: “What happened in Lansing [Michigan] today, God bless them: it’s going to happen all over the country.”

Bjornulf

Date: April 20, 2020 23:29

bv
jumpontopofmebaby

Trump calls protesters against stay-at-home orders 'very responsible' (The Guardian 18 Apr 2020)

“LIBERATE MINNESOTA!” the US president wrote in capital letters on Friday. “LIBERATE MICHIGAN!”

He followed up with a third tweet: “LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!” – a reference to Virginia’s governor, Ralph Northam, last week signing into law new measures on gun control.

Trump has repeatedly ignored his own entreaty to put partisan politics aside during the coronavirus pandemic. His latest provocative interventions followed demonstrations against stay-at-home orders in Michigan, Ohio, North Carolina, Virginia and other states that have drawn elements of the far right.

Some protesters have carried guns, waved Trump and Confederate flags and sought to frame the debate as a defence of constitutional freedoms. They have been egged on by conservative media hosts such as Fox News’s Jeanine Pirro, who said: “What happened in Lansing [Michigan] today, God bless them: it’s going to happen all over the country.”

They are not all Trump supporters. Some and Probably many of them are just people that want to go back to work etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 23:30 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 20, 2020 23:38

Nate
MisterDDDD
The images/videos of the two nurses in Colorado, counter-protesting the protesters are moving.
Protester pictured here telling the asian-americas nurse he should "go back to china".

Health care workers block protesters challenging stay-at-home order in Denver
[thehill.com]

Wouldn’t mind betting her T-shirt was made in Asia.

Nate

gotta love the irony

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 20, 2020 23:38

jumpontopofmebaby
bv
jumpontopofmebaby

They are not all Trump supporters. Some and Probably many of them are just people that want to go back to work etc.

Maybe not...but you want to bet the vast majority of them are.

Date: April 20, 2020 23:41

they are magats urged on by this malevolent president, the nra, the de vos family, right wing radio, fox news and all rupert murdoch media. it is anti-science, anti-education and absolutely some of the dumbest shit i've ever seen.

Date: April 20, 2020 23:45

highgatehillbilly
they are magats urged on by this malevolent president, the nra, the de vos family, right wing radio, fox news and all rupert murdoch media. it is anti-science, anti-education and absolutely some of the dumbest shit i've ever seen.

No they are just people tired of being locked down and out of work.

They feel it is their choice to take the risk or not.

I get that. I don't agree but I get it. And I can avoid them.

I don't smoke and never have. Some people do knowing damn well it can kill them.

Not everyone thinks the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 23:50 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Date: April 20, 2020 23:46

Yes. this may be more of a socio-economical reaction to current status as oppose to a political agenda.

Date: April 20, 2020 23:54

treaclefingers
jumpontopofmebaby
bv
jumpontopofmebaby

Maybe not...but you want to bet the vast majority of them are.

I would bet very few of them are out in the streets to show support for Trump.

I would bet most of them out protesting the shut down because they want to get back to work, provide for their families. Showing support for Trump is not their reason at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 23:55 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 23:59

Primum non nocere. Some (not all) of the "medicine" is thought to be overkill.

Date: April 21, 2020 00:02

Poster stated:

Maybe not.... but you want to bet the vast majority of them are.

No objective evidence whatsoever. Gambling on a thought is simply that -gambling

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 21, 2020 00:26

Some interesting images appearing from various protests around the country ...

Pennsylvania

(found via google)

Maryland

(CNN)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-21 00:27 by Hairball.

Date: April 21, 2020 00:31

The Home of the Free and the Brave!

I am not that brave! But some are.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 21, 2020 00:42

jumpontopofmebaby
The Home of the Free and the Brave!

I am not that brave! But some are.

More like the home of the 'Out of control' and the stupidest people on earth ................there's not another country on the planet whose populations are pulling this type of shit.....................

I guess it's as Mick said in 1983 - "You're free to kill, that's for sure" - It must be hell - Undercover 1983

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...103104105106107108109110111112113...LastNext
Current Page: 108 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home