Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...102103104105106107108109110111112...LastNext
Current Page: 107 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 20, 2020 13:48

Erik_Snow
EddieByword

Dangerous spoilt children exercisng 'their rights' - I realised, when it comes to nature and natural disasters there's no such thing as 'Human rights'........................with this lot, even more reason to isolate.........

In the UK, they could be arrested for this..........what's the deal there?......

The deal is that there is idiots spread all accross the globe. The difference is that in the US they are being blessed by the president for; being idiots.

In Asia and Africa, where they are nearly starving to death in these Corona-times, and it would be quite understandable with if the people did riots....they are not doing something like this, unlike these industry-peasants in the US, and if they try....

I mean legally, in the UK this type of gathering is illegal and arrestable...........The police should use water cannnon with hot soapy water and/or the water bomb planes (used to put out fires) - If I was Governor...........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 13:50 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 20, 2020 14:05

EddieByword
Erik_Snow
EddieByword

Dangerous spoilt children exercisng 'their rights' - I realised, when it comes to nature and natural disasters there's no such thing as 'Human rights'........................with this lot, even more reason to isolate.........

In the UK, they could be arrested for this..........what's the deal there?......

The deal is that there is idiots spread all accross the globe. The difference is that in the US they are being blessed by the president for; being idiots.

In Asia and Africa, where they are nearly starving to death in these Corona-times, and it would be quite understandable with if the people did riots....they are not doing something like this, unlike these industry-peasants in the US, and if they try....

I mean legally, in the UK this type of gathering is illegal and arrestable...........The police should use water cannnon with hot soapy water and/or the water bomb planes (used to put out fires) - If I was Governor...........

My point was that you have got Trump. He would be along with the other idiots if not for his money and later being.... the "President".
Mr. Roosevelt would have turned over in his grave.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 20, 2020 14:34

Corona virus week-by-week fatality rates

I have been maintaining the week-by-week numbers of fatalities related to the corona virus for some weeks now. These numbers are a reliable and non-political measure on where in the curve we are. The table below is including the G7 countries, i.e. the world's largest economies, plus a few other countries as references.

It takes 5-14 days from virus is infecting a person, until the covid-19 disease is active. Then it takes 5-10 days until a covid-19 sick person may need care at a hopsital, and worst case, there may be fatalities a week or so later. This means the death rate is a measure of how the virus was around 3-4 weeks ago.

The fatality rate does not say anything about the scale of the fatalities. This is why I have added another measure : "Fatalities from corona virus per one million population". This number will be a measure of how the population in each country has been protected from the covid-19 disease, based on actions taken in each country.

Comments on the current numbers:

Most of the world is now at a "stay-at-home" state. This have been the case for a while now.

China added some 1,500 "old" cases to the total last week, dated back to Jan-2020, but week-by-week numbers are still single digit, which means they have 1.00 growth rate of fatalities, i.e. a flat curve, the virus is contained.

South Korea is down to a rate of 1.09, which means 9% more fatalities in a week. The virus is still around, and even if they test and trace a lot, there are still deaths. This is telling how hard the work is to contain the virus.

Italy and Spain do have large fatality numbers still, but the R = Reproduction rate has been below 1 (one person with virus pass it on to another person) for some weeks now in these countries, so the fatality rate per week is now down to 1.19 for both countries. This is how it was in South Korea two weeks ago. If the lockdown is kept as it is for at least two more weeks, Italy and Spain will see a fatality rate as low as South Korea by early May.

Japan is experiencing a growth in fatalities, they need to take some more actions, as this number is going up and down every week or so.

USA have a fatality rate as seen in Italy three weeks ago, but it is going down, a bit slower than Spain and Italy. If the lockdown is kept in USA for 3 more weeks, USA will see a fatality rate equal to the Italy and Spain rate today, by May 11 or so.

The new measure "deaths per million population" is telling how serious the situation is in each country. These numbers do talk for themselves. You may get this number for any country by sorting i.e. clicking two times in the worldometer column "Deaths/ 1M pop". This number will unfortunately go up every hour every day, until there is a vaccine, in a year or so.

Explanation:

m-08, m-15, m22, .. a-05 etc are the multiplication factor in the number of deaths week-by-week, as measured on the week ending with March-08, March-15, ..., April-19 etc.

Reference numbers:

[www.worldometers.info]

WHO advices on how to avoid the virus:

1. Keep a physical distance of more than 2 m / 6 feet to people
2. Wash your hands properly and often
3. Limit the number of people you have contact with, max 2-5 people

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 14:43 by bv.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 20, 2020 14:42

I Scored Toilet Paper this morning!!!

I got Charmin Ultra Strong - The kind those bears use on tv.

Also, the local Walmart is now a controlled environment, they only let a certain number in at a time . Every one must be at least 6 feet apart. Shoppers are directed by arrows on the floor. Nearly everyone was wearing protective masks including myself.

I'm not sure why the few were not wearing protective masks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 15:03 by Chris Fountain.

Date: April 20, 2020 15:12

Protests against the coronavirus lockdown took place in the US states of Michigan, Kentucky, Virginia, Utah, Ohio and North Carolina, with further demonstrations planned for the coming days.

Rallies against the restrictions have taken place in Michigan, Kentucky, Virginia, Utah, Ohio and North Carolina, with shocking pictures emerging of rifle-wielding men standing on the steps of the Michigan State Capitol in Lansing.

Gun-toting Trump voters march against US lockdown despite world's highest deaths (MIRROR UK 17 APR 2020)

Picture: Heavily armed protesters gathered on the steps of the Michigan State Capitol in Lansing, Michigan

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 19:10 by bv.

Date: April 20, 2020 15:26

bv
Protests against the coronavirus lockdown took place in the US states of Michigan, Kentucky, Virginia, Utah, Ohio and North Carolina, with further demonstrations planned for the coming days.

Rallies against the restrictions have taken place in Michigan, Kentucky, Virginia, Utah, Ohio and North Carolina, with shocking pictures emerging of rifle-wielding men standing on the steps of the Michigan State Capitol in Lansing.

Gun-toting Trump voters march against US lockdown despite world's highest deaths (MIRROR UK 17 APR 2020)

Maybe this also tells us something about the American social safety net. If you loose your job overseas, you're in serious trouble i.e. also might loose your health insurance, if you have one anyway. These thoughts only scare the hell out of people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 15:27 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 20, 2020 15:28

This is insane I guess it’s actually legal for people to walk the streets armed like this.

Nate

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 15:43

Nate
This is insane I guess it’s actually legal for people to walk the streets armed like this.

Nate

it depends on the state.

Date: April 20, 2020 15:48

Nate

Nate

It would be heartening if this was strictly Natural selection in action but too many innocents will get killed by these magamorons too.............confused smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 20, 2020 15:57

TheflyingDutchman
Maybe this also tells us something about the American social safety net. If you loose your job overseas, you're in serious trouble i.e. also might loose your health insurance, if you have one anyway. These thoughts only scares the hell out of people.

These protests are tied more to gun rights groups from the far right.
The really far right, who oppose even the NRA for not being militant enough.

Pro-gun activists using Facebook groups to push anti-quarantine protests
"A trio of far-right, pro-gun provocateurs is behind some of the largest Facebook groups calling for anti-quarantine protests around the country, offering the latest illustration that some seemingly organic demonstrations are being engineered by a network of conservative activists.

The Facebook groups target Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York, and they appear to be the work of Ben Dorr, the political director of a group called “Minnesota Gun Rights,” and his siblings, Christopher and Aaron. By Sunday, the groups had roughly 200,000 members combined, and they continued to expand quickly, days after President Trump endorsed such protests by suggesting citizens should “liberate” their states.
The Dorr brothers manage a slew of pro-gun groups across a wide range of states, from Iowa to Minnesota to New York, and seek primarily to discredit organizations like the National Rifle Association as being too compromising on gun safety. Minnesota Gun Rights, for instance, describes itself as the state’s “no-compromise gun rights organization.”

The online activity instigated by the brothers helps cement the impression that opposition to the restrictions is more widespread than polling suggests. Nearly 70 percent of Republicans said they supported a national stay-at-home order, according to a recent Quinnipiac poll. Ninety-five percent of Democrats backed such a measure in the survey.
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Date: April 20, 2020 16:17

EddieByword
Erik_Snow
EddieByword

I hope you are joking. Police brutality is unacceptable in any democratic society.

For the record, I personally don't like what I am seeing here....nor do I agree it is intelligent or even necessary....

however, I agree with the right to civil-protest out of principle b/c it is the basis of democracy

If the protest is deemed "illegal" then the police can arrest them and the courts will sort it out....that's how democracy works.

However, it is worth noting that one need look no further than Hong Kong to see how the Pandemic can be used to undermine democracy.

do I fear that happening in the US? No. Not really. But, that's just me.

Agreeing w/ the cause is not the same as agreeing w/ the right to publicly express one's opinion in a peaceful manner.

This pandemic and the gov't right to declare "public health emergencies" is something else we will need to debate in the future....it's a slippery slope w/o very clear parameters.

Democracy is messy sometimes...that's why it's beautiful.

Date: April 20, 2020 16:18

MisterDDDD
TheflyingDutchman
Maybe this also tells us something about the American social safety net. If you loose your job overseas, you're in serious trouble i.e. also might loose your health insurance, if you have one anyway. These thoughts only scare the hell out of people.

These protests are tied more to gun rights groups from the far right.
The really far right, who oppose even the NRA for not being militant enough.

I agree, but I don't go into politics, cause BV won't allow it. The picture he posted says it all though.winking smiley

Date: April 20, 2020 16:39

stickyfingers101
EddieByword
Erik_Snow
EddieByword

I hope you are joking. Police brutality is unacceptable in any democratic society.

For the record, I personally don't like what I am seeing here....nor do I agree it is intelligent or even necessary....

however, I agree with the right to civil-protest out of principle b/c it is the basis of democracy

If the protest is deemed "illegal" then the police can arrest them and the courts will sort it out....that's how democracy works.

However, it is worth noting that one need look no further than Hong Kong to see how the Pandemic can be used to undermine democracy.

Agreeing w/ the cause is not the same as agreeing w/ the right to publicly express one's opinion in a peaceful manner.

This pandemic and the gov't right to declare "public health emergencies" is something else we will need to debate in the future....it's a slippery slope w/o very clear parameters.

Well, maybe about the planes water bombing but no, water cannons are a legal in a lot of democratic countries and sometimes used part of the police's arsenal..........(Mind you, the UK did sell theirs as they were never used..............(They all look like they could all do with a good wash though.......so, win, win,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Seroiusly though, what these people are doing is an abuse of the freedoms we all normally enjoy under democracy - they are literally endangering the lives of everyone and anyone and imo should be stopped...........(Don't think this disease just clobbers the old and infirm - that's a fallacy.

In the UK we normally have the right to protest too, however, currently, groups of more than 2 are banned [www.bbc.co.uk] .. [metro.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 16:49 by EddieByword.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: April 20, 2020 16:45

The Corona virus gives a shit about any rifles or what ever.

Date: April 20, 2020 17:13

EddieByword
stickyfingers101
EddieByword
Erik_Snow
EddieByword

Well, maybe about the planes water bombing but no, water cannons are a legal in a lot of democratic countries and sometimes used part of the police's arsenal..........(Mind you, the UK did sell theirs as they were never used..............(They all look like they could all do with a good wash though.......so, win, win,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Seroiusly though, what these people are doing is an abuse of the freedoms we all normally enjoy under democracy - they are literally endangering the lives of everyone and anyone and imo should be stopped...........(Don't think this disease just clobbers the old and infirm - that's a fallacy.

In the UK we normally have the right to protest too, however, currently, groups of more than 2 are banned [www.bbc.co.uk] .. [metro.co.uk]

I don't disagree with you. And, if they are making it about guns, I don't really get that...at all.

My opinion is that I think these folks see the gov't as the one "abusing freedoms"....I don't agree w/ them or like what I am seeing...but, I do think in the near-future we'll need some healthy debate about "what constitutes a public health crisis thus justifying sweeping legislative powers"

there are civil liberties issues at stake here....granted, these people don't seem to be taking the correct approach, IMO.

this current crisis seems to fit the bill of a "public health crisis," IMO...but, I would like to see some clarification and debate on the issue as we move forward.

I mean...I know Corona isn't the flu, but the flu kills lots of people...is that a "public health crisis" thus justifying increased gov't powers?

I dunno about that. Some of it scares me. Our governor declared vaping a "public health crisis" and banned it....over 4 deaths....that seems like over-reach to me (granted he has since repealed the ban).

Simply put, these people seem kinda misguided to me....but, I'm trying to think larger picture.

rather than get mad at them (which is what they want and only fuels the more radical, fringe elements), I hope that a positive discourse can emerge among cooler, more open-minded heads on all sides.

I don't have much confidence in that, though....so, maybe the water cannon is called for...haha!

Date: April 20, 2020 17:16

The images/videos of the two nurses in Colorado, counter-protesting the protesters are moving.
Protester pictured here telling the asian-americas nurse he should "go back to china".

Health care workers block protesters challenging stay-at-home order in Denver
[thehill.com]

Date: April 20, 2020 17:21

MisterDDDD
The images/videos of the two nurses in Colorado, counter-protesting the protesters are moving.
Protester pictured here telling the asian-americas nurse he should "go back to china".

[thehill.com]

The New China Tank Man!!!

Go Health Care Dude!

[tse4.mm.bing.net]

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 20, 2020 17:22

MisterDDDD

[thehill.com]

Wouldn’t mind betting her T-shirt was made in Asia.

Nate

Date: April 20, 2020 17:38

Nate
MisterDDDD

[thehill.com]

Nate

And I wouldn't mind betting she has a diet of FatDonalds and Bud that has turned her brain to mush...............confused smiley .....they are diverting health care workers off the front line.........unbelievable

Date: April 20, 2020 17:50

stickyfingers101

I dunno about that. Some of it scares me. Our governor declared vaping a "public health crisis" and banned it....over 4 deaths....that seems like over-reach to me (granted he has since repealed the ban).

Simply put, these people seem kinda misguided to me....but, I'm trying to think larger picture.

rather than get mad at them (which is what they want and only fuels the more radical, fringe elements), I hope that a positive discourse can emerge among cooler, more open-minded heads on all sides.

I don't have much confidence in that, though....so, maybe the water cannon is called for...haha!

reading between the lines (and from a few things that have come out in the UK at least).........I think the Governments are being extra cautious because they don't understand this thing yet.

ie. Why are a disproportionate amount of Afro and Asians dying. (And fat people have been mentioned here (UK)

Why do some young people die without underlying / pre-existing conditions die but others just breeze through it?

The Health minister siad here in the UK on TV, in answer to this question, "Can you get re-infected?....."The science about immunity is unclear"................(No answer.....

I agree about the vaping over reach story though.......it's not like one vaper who gets ill will sicken or kill another................

Funny...........>grinning smiley<

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 17:52 by EddieByword.

Date: April 20, 2020 18:16

EddieByword
Nate
MisterDDDD

[thehill.com]

Nate

And I wouldn't mind betting she has a diet of FatDonalds and Bud that has turned her brain to mush...............confused smiley .....they are diverting health care workers off the front line.........unbelievable

the truck was probably made in Mexico.

Budweiser is OK, from what I remember of my drinking days...

I do think making so much stuff overseas needs to be revisited in the wake of this crisis as well.

Date: April 20, 2020 19:02

Date: April 20, 2020 19:19

With the above map I am not sure how smart it is to open up Florida and Texas for "business as usual".

Bjornulf

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:35

Aquamarine
Hairball
That's more fake news. winking smiley

EDIT: After a quick google search, found that Juan Williams, Jessica Tarlove, and Cathy Areu (all registered Democrats) along with quite a few other liberal commentators/contributors are mainstays on Fox,
with Williams being there since 1997.

I said liberal, not Democrat, and I stand by it.

Not to beat a dead horse, but by most peoples definition and perception these are all liberal Democrats - if you've ever seen Juan Williams amidst the other Fox commentators you would know this.
Maybe they're not all quite as liberal as you would like them to be, but they are what they are. But nevermind, no point in beating a dead horse any further...at least not from me. Over and out.

Date: April 20, 2020 19:37

Chris Fountain

I Scored Toilet Paper this morning!!!

I got Charmin Ultra Strong - The kind those bears use on tv.

Also, the local Walmart is now a controlled environment, they only let a certain number in at a time . Every one must be at least 6 feet apart. Shoppers are directed by arrows on the floor. Nearly everyone was wearing protective masks including myself.

I'm not sure why the few were not wearing protective masks.

Lol - congrats Chris. smileys with beer

Gotta be careful when surrounded by Walmart shoppers....

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:45

bv
With the above map I am not sure how smart it is to open up Florida and Texas for "business as usual".

It’s not smart but. Purely political move by Republican governors. Particularly bad in Florida given the number of retirement communities in the state.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 20, 2020 19:59

Announced this morning, all schools in Florida will not re-open until late August - September. Online Classes continue.

Date: April 20, 2020 20:02

Having caught up with the last page of this thread, I can see things have already become ugly regarding these protests throughout the country....what a shame.
And this Ben Dorr character along with his brothers of the extreme “Minnesota Gun Rights" group...dangerous....

Date: April 20, 2020 21:05

bv

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Florida has never been our brightest state...intellectually, that is.

good tax-breaks, though.

and...well, Texas has always had their own swagger....for better or worse.

good Tex-Mex food, though.

Date: April 20, 2020 21:06

Chris Fountain
Announced this morning, all schools in Florida will not re-open until late August - September. Online Classes continue.

Beaches Open...Schools Closed.

Good old Florida...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...102103104105106107108109110111112...LastNext
Current Page: 107 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home