Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...101102103104105106107108109110111...LastNext
Current Page: 106 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 19, 2020 23:36

Chris Fountain
Hairball
Seems a bit early (and crazy) to me, but so it begins....

Florida begins reopening beaches amid coronavirus crisis, and people are enthusiastically flocking

Full story via USA Today w/pics, various news clips, etc. > Beach

(HuffPost)

At least half those people are form Georgia smiling smiley I wish they would open the beaches here - 4 hours south of Jacksonville

Prediction: Jacksonville area will see huge gains in Covid 19 numbers in a couple weeks. Hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 20, 2020 00:13

If some areas around the world want to challenge the virus, by letting many people be close by in beaches, bars, or any other places, then the virus will win, and those who decided to challenge virus will be left with for us all to see. History will be the judge, by the numbers, the death toll in the area.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 20, 2020 00:19

Hairball
bv
I thought CNN and NYT were serious news channels. Is there a real example of a fake news article? I mean when the US president responded by "fake news" to the question from the New York Times reporter this week, all she asked for was what he did in February, right? Later on, may be not now, then I am sure we can all talk about what our leaders did in February. Most were to slow, I think. They did too little, too late. That is why too many die now, that is just my personal opinion.

Whether some of CNN's stories are "fake" or not has alot to do with one's perception of them as a news source. While they've always been suspect due to their biased/left-leaning reporting and fabricating/inflating stories, the "fake news" chants started reappearing with the so-called Russia/election hoax which CNN covered incessantly for months...years actually....until the story sort of fizzled out and whimpered away without any real conclusion one way or the other. Clearly they lean to the left - some would say FAR left, and it's the way they present their facts/stories coming from a left/liberal stance which rubs some in the middle and the right the wrong way. As an example - the fact is Trump is supporting the building of a border wall. CNN might present it as "Hateful racist Trump builds wall to keep people out of our free country" while those on the right (Fox for example) might say "It's about time we have a great leader to keep out illegal troublemakers, drug dealers, and terrorists". There's not many (or any) who can honestly say CNN "reporter" Don Lemon is unbiased, while at the same time there's not many who could say the same about Tucker Carlson (Fox). For me, it's nearly impossible to watch either without either cringing a bit, or laughing out loud - they're both complete idiots, but that's just my opinion.

Yet CNN is always getting criticism for having Trump spokespeople or conservative commentators on to present their side, whereas Fox is never criticized for having liberal commentators for the obvious reason they never have any.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 20, 2020 00:29

Aquamarine
Hairball
bv
I thought CNN and NYT were serious news channels. Is there a real example of a fake news article? I mean when the US president responded by "fake news" to the question from the New York Times reporter this week, all she asked for was what he did in February, right? Later on, may be not now, then I am sure we can all talk about what our leaders did in February. Most were to slow, I think. They did too little, too late. That is why too many die now, that is just my personal opinion.

Whether some of CNN's stories are "fake" or not has alot to do with one's perception of them as a news source. While they've always been suspect due to their biased/left-leaning reporting and fabricating/inflating stories, the "fake news" chants started reappearing with the so-called Russia/election hoax which CNN covered incessantly for months...years actually....until the story sort of fizzled out and whimpered away without any real conclusion one way or the other. Clearly they lean to the left - some would say FAR left, and it's the way they present their facts/stories coming from a left/liberal stance which rubs some in the middle and the right the wrong way. As an example - the fact is Trump is supporting the building of a border wall. CNN might present it as "Hateful racist Trump builds wall to keep people out of our free country" while those on the right (Fox for example) might say "It's about time we have a great leader to keep out illegal troublemakers, drug dealers, and terrorists". There's not many (or any) who can honestly say CNN "reporter" Don Lemon is unbiased, while at the same time there's not many who could say the same about Tucker Carlson (Fox). For me, it's nearly impossible to watch either without either cringing a bit, or laughing out loud - they're both complete idiots, but that's just my opinion.

Yet CNN is always getting criticism for having Trump spokespeople or conservative commentators on to present their side, whereas Fox is never criticized for having liberal commentators for the obvious reason they never have any.

What is your source for this comment?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 20, 2020 00:31

That's more fake news. winking smiley

EDIT: After a quick google search, found that Juan Williams, Jessica Tarlove, and Cathy Areu (all registered Democrats) along with quite a few other liberal commentators/contributors are mainstays on Fox,
with Williams being there since 1997.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 01:33 by Hairball.

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: April 20, 2020 00:40

Hairball

Florida begins reopening beaches amid coronavirus crisis, and people are enthusiastically flocking

(HuffPost)

It's sobering to think that some of these people and their contacts may possibly be dead in a few weeks time.

Date: April 20, 2020 01:23

"those who listed Fox News as one of their news sources had overall lower levels of knowledge on the factual questions."

these links are to articles that were written after an analysis of a study from a few years ago. it hasn't gotten any better in the ensuing years, that's for sure.

[www.forbes.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]

[www.businessinsider.com]-
than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 20, 2020 01:34

Hairball
More fake news. winking smiley

EDIT: After a quick google search, found that Juan Williams, Jessica Tarlove, and Cathy Areu (all registered Democrats) are mainstays on Fox, with Williams being there since 1997.
And there's probably many others...

Chris Wallace is definitely Democrat. And believe it or not Donna Brazille is on Fox now.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 20, 2020 01:39

Americans at World Health Organization transmitted real-time information about coronavirus to Trump administration

By
Karen DeYoung,
Lena H. Sun and
Emily Rauhala
April 19, 2020 at 1:46 p.m. PDT

"More than a dozen U.S. researchers, physicians and public health experts, many of them from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, were working full time at the Geneva headquarters of the World Health Organization as the novel coronavirus emerged late last year and transmitted real-time information about its discovery and spread in China to the Trump administration, according to U.S. and international officials.
A number of CDC staff members are regularly detailed to work at the WHO in Geneva as part of a rotation that has operated for years. Senior Trump-appointed health officials also consulted regularly at the highest levels with the WHO as the crisis unfolded, the officials said.
The presence of so many U.S. officials undercuts President Trump’s assertion that the WHO’s failure to communicate the extent of the threat, born of a desire to protect China, is largely responsible for the rapid spread of the virus in the United States."
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Date: April 20, 2020 01:47

highgatehillbilly
"those who listed Fox News as one of their news sources had overall lower levels of knowledge on the factual questions."

these links are to articles that were written after an analysis of a study from a few years ago. it hasn't gotten any better in the ensuing years, that's for sure.

[www.forbes.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]

It may be that board members here have read more accurate virus info on this thread than anywhere else if their only source is FOX and presidential briefings.

Date: April 20, 2020 01:55

highgatehillbilly

[www.forbes.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]

From Rolling Stone: "Study: Watching Fox News Actually Makes You Stupid"...lol...as opposed to Rolling Stone magazine making you smart?

Anyhow, that survey was based on apprx. 1,000 people and was conducted by a liberal University so I wouldn't put too much weight in anything they say.
And according to the professor who was in charge of the study, the results showed that "MSNBC was second worst (after Fox), but it wasn’t talked about."...and MSNBC is the epitome of liberal/far left.

Here was Fox's reply:

“Considering FDU’s undergraduate school is ranked as one of the worst in the country (No. 585 on a Forbes ranking of 650 U.S. colleges),we suggest the school invest in improving its weak academic program instead of spending money on frivolous polling – their student body does not deserve to be so ill-informed.”

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 02:00

"Far-left" "America"

You guys have no idea. The Democrats are not "Far-left". The "Conservative" party in the UK hired the Obama campaign chief in 2013. Who was a "lifelong Democrat".

America is so conservative in general.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 02:07 by WelshEdge1.

Date: April 20, 2020 02:10

WelshEdge1
"Far-left" "America"

You guys have no idea. The Democrats are not "Far-left". The "Conservative" party in the UK hired the Obama campaign chief in 2013. Who was a "lifelong Democrat".

Different definitions/meanings based on where you're from, but that's opening another can of worms.

This might provide some partial answers, and yes it's from CNN: Half of Americans think the Democratic Party has moved too far left

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 02:12 by Hairball.

Date: April 20, 2020 02:30

One reasonable question about US media bias and it creates more angst and angry/defensive posts from posters on the right than the virus itself.
Further evidence on why political topics are rightfully banned here,
Back to the topic.

Great interactive map and data here showing where we stand as of this AM.
We've passed 40k dead as of now.

39,090 people have died from coronavirus in the U.S.

"The disease caused by the novel coronavirus has killed at least 39,090 people in the United States since Feb. 29, when a 58-year-old man near Seattle became the first announced U.S. death. Tens of thousands have since died of the disease, and criteria for reporting deaths has been changing rapidly among states and cities.

Confirmed cases per 100k Deaths per 100k. New deaths since Apr. 17

New York 1,236 90 496 +3%
New Jersey 919 48 409 +11%
Connecticut 490 30 50 +5%
Louisiana 506 27 54 +4%
Michigan 309 23 81 +4%
Massachusetts 533 23 315 +25%
District of Columbia 389 13 5 +6%
Rhode Island 425 13 19 +16%
Illinois 227 10 127 +11%
Pennsylvania 249 9 184 +20%
Washington 165 9 27 +4%
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 02:30 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 20, 2020 03:11

Hairball
WelshEdge1
"Far-left" "America"

Different definitions/meanings based on where you're from, but that's opening another can of worms.

This might provide some partial answers, and yes it's from CNN: Half of Americans think the Democratic Party has moved too far left

And ? What does it prove ? Quoting an updated report from October 19th 2019 based on a poll of one university...skipping the second part concerning the Republicans...kind of poor, I think.

Date: April 20, 2020 03:16

MisterDDDD
One reasonable question about US media bias and it creates more angst and angry/defensive posts from posters on the right than the virus itself.
Further evidence on why political topics are rightfully banned here

Not that I've been keeping track, but from my personal perspective from the center, looks like it's been about even when it comes to creating angst and angry/defensive posts from both the left and the right.
You're right though, political topics are rightfully banned here just as that other political/coronavirus experimental thread proved - glad it was shut down before it got really out of hand.

kovach
Hairball

EDIT: After a quick google search, found that Juan Williams, Jessica Tarlove, and Cathy Areu (all registered Democrats) are mainstays on Fox, with Williams being there since 1997.

Chris Wallace is definitely Democrat. And believe it or not Donna Brazille is on Fox now.

Well Chris Wallace is much more than just a contributor or commentator as he has his own weekly show, but yes he's a registered Democrat.
Interesting factoid about him is that while he is a Democrat, he has voted for both parties - of the times I've seen him interviewing people, sometimes it's difficult to know which party he's in which makes him truly fair and balanced aka unbiased imo. Come to think of it, he's probably the only reason I would ever tune in to Fox.

Date: April 20, 2020 03:19

shortfatfanny
Hairball
WelshEdge1
"Far-left" "America"

And ? What does it prove ? Quoting an updated report from October 19th 2019 based on a poll of one university...skipping the second part concerning the Republicans...kind of poor, I think.

????

I think you've lost me there shortfatfanny, but might be a good time to move on....

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 20, 2020 03:21

Hairball

EDIT: After a quick google search, found that Juan Williams, Jessica Tarlove, and Cathy Areu (all registered Democrats) along with quite a few other liberal commentators/contributors are mainstays on Fox,

Who? Definitely not "name" Democrats. Sort of like when CNN had Paris Lenon or one other idiot to show the black Republican side.

Date: April 20, 2020 03:27

daspyknows
Hairball

Who? Definitely not "name" Democrats. Sort of like when CNN had Paris Lenon or one other idiot to show the black Republican side.

It was in response to Aquamarine saying "they (Fox) never have any liberal commentators" - was just giving some examples, and whether they're well known or not was not the point.
And then there's Democrat Chris Wallace on Fox as mentioned above - surely he's made a name for himself, and not just because he's the son of Mike Wallace!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 20, 2020 03:31

Hairball
shortfatfanny
Hairball
WelshEdge1
"Far-left" "America"

????

I think you've lost me there shortfatfanny, but might be a good time to move on....

Well, haha...could be the case...funny thing is, what you call left/far left is in best case some kind of liberal where I come from and even that just don't fit exactly...anyway, those right-center-left terms battles never solved any problem.
And COVID-19 is still a problem...

Date: April 20, 2020 03:52

aside from not being very informative with actual facts (as opposed to alternative facts), all murdoch media has a problem with the truth. rupe's got sinister purposes ... greed, fascism, racism and misogyny.

"Across the English-speaking world, the family’s outlets have helped elevate marginal demagogues, mainstream ethnonationalism and politicize the very notion of truth. The results have been striking. It may not have been the family’s mission to destabilize democracies around the world, but that has been its most consequential legacy."

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 20, 2020 03:59

rbp
Hairball

(HuffPost)

It's sobering to think that some of these people and their contacts may possibly be dead in a few weeks time.

Time will tell, what about story from boots on the ground:
[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 04:01 by Maindefender.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 20, 2020 05:46

kovach
Hairball

Leslie Marshall
Marie Harf
Alan Colmes (RIP)

Date: April 20, 2020 07:07

These presidentially endorsed/encouraged protests really enrage me.
This is in my state, Washington today.

Throwing a selfish tantrum that endangers everyone because of their ignorance.
Personal to me, our state had the first case in the US and we are just now reaching the flattened curve stage.
Fools.

[www.nytimes.com]

Date: April 20, 2020 07:33

Damn that's crazy MisterDDDD ...

"At least three Republican state lawmakers participated in the events, including Representative Robert Sutherland, who called for “revolution” if the governor didn’t lift mandates.
He later said that a violent revolution was not the intention Sunday but that the people have a moral obligation to fight back against abusive government".

There's been several protests down in L.A. and Orange County the last few days also, and just a matter of time before things start getting ugly...not looking good.

[www.ocregister.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 07:40 by Hairball.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 20, 2020 09:09

Hairball

I said liberal, not Democrat, and I stand by it.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 20, 2020 09:26

So Texas and Vermont will partially reopen Monday. I forsee a large jump in cases, perhaps not so much in Vermont since it has a small population. Large cities like Houston and Dallas might turn into New Orleans with the number infected.
I take screen shots on my cell phone from the Fox News website which shows current world and US cases. On Friday morning the US had 672246 cases and 33288 deaths. Today, it stood at 755533 cases and 41379 deaths. 8091 reported deaths in 2 days. At this rate, they'll hit 60000 by next weekend if they don't flatten the curve. Who knows where it'll be the weekend after that.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 20, 2020 12:55

Large protest of isolation protocols in Washington state yesterday. It will be interesting to see the effects of this & other states in a few weeks. We'll hope for the best but it doesn't seem like an intelligent move. Hope that all of us don't end up paying for this.

Protest in Washington state

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 20, 2020 13:32

MisterDDDD
These presidentially endorsed/encouraged protests really enrage me.
This is in my state, Washington today.

Throwing a selfish tantrum that endangers everyone because of their ignorance.
Personal to me, our state had the first case in the US and we are just now reaching the flattened curve stage.
Fools.

[www.nytimes.com]

Dangerous spoilt children exercisng 'their rights' - I realised, when it comes to nature and natural disasters there's no such thing as 'Human rights'........................with this lot, even more reasaon to isolate.........

In the UK, they could be arrested for this..........what's the deal there?......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 13:33 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 20, 2020 13:38

EddieByword
Dangerous spoilt children exercisng 'their rights' - I realised, when it comes to nature and natural disasters there's no such thing as 'Human rights'........................with this lot, even more reasaon to isolate.........

In the UK, they could be arrested for this..........what's the deal there?......

The deal is that there is idiots spread all accross the globe. The difference is that in the US they are being blessed by the president for; being idiots.

In Asia and Africa, where they are nearly starving to death in these Corona-times, and it would be quite understandable with if the people did riots....they are not doing something like this, unlike these industry-peasants in the US, and if they try....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-20 13:39 by Erik_Snow.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...101102103104105106107108109110111...LastNext
Current Page: 106 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1392
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home