Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...979899100101102103104105106107...LastNext
Current Page: 102 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Date: April 16, 2020 16:52

Chris Fountain
Twenty-one (21) Americans currently unemployed.

[www.foxbusiness.com]

10 percent of the american workforce is 21? winking smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 16, 2020 17:00

LOL Of course I meant 21 million. I'll fix it- Thanks !!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 16, 2020 17:20

In Germany are the Music-Festivals [www.Rock-am-Ring.com] , [www.Rock-im-Park.com] and [www.Wacken.com] now cancelled due to German government's decision that, because of the Coronavirus pandemic, no mass gatherings will be allowed until August, 31st 2020.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 16, 2020 17:36

Russia now admitting to more cases than previously acknowledged. One TV report estimates that deaths may reach levels similar to Italy, but can’t find a published source yet.

[www.cbc.ca]

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: April 16, 2020 18:12

Johnson and Johnson eyes 600 million Coronavirus vaccines by early 2021

[nypost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-16 19:48 by Dougratajczak87.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 16, 2020 19:24

Down in L.A., Farmers Markets have been reopened for almost two weeks now, but with many safety precautions:

L.A. Farmers Market

I live up the coast apprx. 60 miles north of L.A., and thankfully the Farmers Markets in our area have never closed, but the number of people allowed to enter at a time is limited and there are social distancing rules.
Plus with many farms and agricultural fields in the area, there's many roadside produce stands selling fruit, veggies, honey, nuts, flowers, etc., etc., etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-16 19:26 by Hairball.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 16, 2020 20:06

Hairball
Down in L.A., Farmers Markets have been reopened for almost two weeks now, but with many safety precautions:

L.A. Farmers Market

I live up the coast apprx. 60 miles north of L.A., and thankfully the Farmers Markets in our area have never closed, but the number of people allowed to enter at a time is limited and there are social distancing rules.
Plus with many farms and agricultural fields in the area, there's many roadside produce stands selling fruit, veggies, honey, nuts, flowers, etc., etc., etc.

How about them tasty lightly salted California Pistachio Nuts? Yum!!!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 16, 2020 22:18

Hairball

L.A. Farmers Market

I don't see why not...if supermarkets are open (and restaurants can serve take-out), having these markets open seems "logical" provided the same "social-distance" rules are present (which it seems they are).

my knee-jerk reaction is that there should be a plan to open more markets like this

People need food. Farmers need to sell produce before it rots. People need jobs - picking food seems like it should be deemed "essential"

[www.wtsp.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 17, 2020 00:16

stickyfingers101
Hairball

L.A. Farmers Market

I don't see why not...if supermarkets are open (and restaurants can serve take-out), having these markets open seems "logical" provided the same "social-distance" rules are present (which it seems they are).

my knee-jerk reaction is that there should be a plan to open more markets like this

People need food. Farmers need to sell produce before it rots. People need jobs - picking food seems like it should be deemed "essential"

[www.wtsp.com]

Agree. But a lot of these seasonal/neighborhood ones like Seattle and where I am, are really set up more as combination Market/Festivals with lots of food stands, music, street artists etc. New regulations and distancing measures will be good (hopefully), but tough to see people standing six feet apart in lines etc like grocery stores. Even there, with lines taped to the floors people don't always abide.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 17, 2020 01:21

MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101
Hairball

L.A. Farmers Market

[www.wtsp.com]

Agree. But a lot of these seasonal/neighborhood ones like Seattle and where I am, are really set up more as combination Market/Festivals with lots of food stands, music, street artists etc. New regulations and distancing measures will be good (hopefully), but tough to see people standing six feet apart in lines etc like grocery stores. Even there, with lines taped to the floors people don't always abide.

We have those here as well - especially the larger one downtown on Saturdays, and they're all working out fine with people having great respect for the rules and regulations.
They're not as crowded and lively as they were under normal circumstances, but there's still plenty happening with food stands, some live music, and tons of fresh produce, etc. to purchase.
Plus being outdoors in the fresh air, overall it's a much nicer atmosphere than inside a supermarket, and you can't beat the local/higher quality products they carry.

Date: April 17, 2020 02:29

This is getting depressing - the TV commercials are advertising Funeral Homes and Cemeteries. I guess those businesses are booming.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 17, 2020 02:52

New White House Policy just announced.

[www.whitehouse.gov]

It's a statement of WHAT can be done, but the WHEN is not prescriptive.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: April 17, 2020 03:04

US alerted Israel, NATO to disease outbreak in China in November — report
Israeli officials said to have debated threat five months ago, before public was aware of coronavirus, but ‘nothing was done’ by Health Ministry

"US intelligence agencies alerted Israel to the coronavirus outbreak in China already in November, Israeli television reported Thursday.

According to Channel 12 news, the US intelligence community became aware of the emerging disease in Wuhan in the second week of that month and drew up a classified document.

Last week, ABC News reported that US intelligence officials were warning about the coronavirus in a report prepared in December by the American military’s National Center for Medical Intelligence.
It was unclear if that was the same report that was said to have been shared with Israel."
[www.timesofisrael.com]

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 17, 2020 03:20

One of the great tragedies of this crisis is the adult children of people in senior citizen's residences making their weekly visits to their old and frail parents and being totally unaware that they were bringing death upon them.

Clearly the Chinese had to know about the very high transmissibility of this virus and the asymptomatic nature of it for some people and they didn't tell the world. We got a first glimpse of it ourselves about a month ago when that group of people went to the church for choir practice in Washington State. They sang for two hours and did their proper social distancing and about 40% of them got infected.

It reminds me of the fall of the USSR in 1991. The newspaper Pravda ("The Truth") admitted to the Russian people that they had been telling lies for years.

China is the real culprit and behind all of the factories supplying the cheap goods that the world wants, lies a corrupt communist regime that for all practical intents and purposes is stuck in the 1950s. A long march to misery and a dehumanizing Orwellian dystopia.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 17, 2020 03:39

CaptainCorella
New White House Policy just announced.

[www.whitehouse.gov]

It's a statement of WHAT can be done, but the WHEN is not prescriptive.

The when is up to the governors so Trump has someone to blame but he is saying open ASAP. Red state governors will open, blue state governors will not and we see who is right. Social experiment. Other countries taking different approaches so we will see what works if anything in 90 days.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 17, 2020 03:46

MileHigh
One of the great tragedies of this crisis is the adult children of people in senior citizen's residences making their weekly visits to their old and frail parents and being totally unaware that they were bringing death upon them.

Clearly the Chinese had to know about the very high transmissibility of this virus and the asymptomatic nature of it for some people and they didn't tell the world. We got a first glimpse of it ourselves about a month ago when that group of people went to the church for choir practice in Washington State. They sang for two hours and did their proper social distancing and about 40% of them got infected.

It reminds me of the fall of the USSR in 1991. The newspaper Pravda ("The Truth") admitted to the Russian people that they had been telling lies for years.

China is the real culprit and behind all of the factories supplying the cheap goods that the world wants, lies a corrupt communist regime that for all practical intents and purposes is stuck in the 1950s. A long march to misery and a dehumanizing Orwellian dystopia.

No disputing China f'ed this up bad. There needs to be an investigation on what happened but once it escaped each country has a duty to their citizens to implement policies that minimize infection and death. Some countries did well (S. Korea, Hong Kong, Germany, Norway) some countries did not (U.S., U.K., Sweden, Italy, Iran, Brazil). Why is debatable, but there are common themes.

Date: April 17, 2020 04:02

Coronavirus clue? Most cases aboard U.S. aircraft carrier are symptom-free

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sweeping testing of the entire crew of the coronavirus-stricken U.S. aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt may have revealed a clue about the pandemic: The majority of the positive cases so far are among sailors who are asymptomatic, officials say.

The Navy’s testing of the entire 4,800-member crew of the aircraft carrier - which is about 94% complete - was an extraordinary move in a headline-grabbing case that has already led to the firing of the carrier’s captain and the resignation of the Navy’s top civilian official.

Roughly 60 percent of the over 600 sailors who tested positive so far have not shown symptoms of COVID-19, the potentially lethal respiratory disease caused by the coronavirus, the Navy says. The service did not speculate about how many might later develop symptoms or remain asymptomatic.

“With regard to COVID-19, we’re learning that stealth in the form of asymptomatic transmission is this adversary’s secret power,” said Rear Admiral Bruce Gillingham, surgeon general of the Navy."
[www.reuters.com]

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 17, 2020 04:11

MisterDDDD
Coronavirus clue? Most cases aboard U.S. aircraft carrier are symptom-free

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sweeping testing of the entire crew of the coronavirus-stricken U.S. aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt may have revealed a clue about the pandemic: The majority of the positive cases so far are among sailors who are asymptomatic, officials say.

The Navy’s testing of the entire 4,800-member crew of the aircraft carrier - which is about 94% complete - was an extraordinary move in a headline-grabbing case that has already led to the firing of the carrier’s captain and the resignation of the Navy’s top civilian official.

Roughly 60 percent of the over 600 sailors who tested positive so far have not shown symptoms of COVID-19, the potentially lethal respiratory disease caused by the coronavirus, the Navy says. The service did not speculate about how many might later develop symptoms or remain asymptomatic.

“With regard to COVID-19, we’re learning that stealth in the form of asymptomatic transmission is this adversary’s secret power,” said Rear Admiral Bruce Gillingham, surgeon general of the Navy."
[www.reuters.com]

Kind of a double-scare there. 60% of the infected are asymptomatic and presumably they can infect others and 40% of young and in-shape men and women will develop symptoms. I hate to put it like this, but it will be interesting to see what percentage of the 40% die assuming that they will be receiving excellent medical care.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 17, 2020 04:25

THE AGE --- 17 April 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 17, 2020 10:59

Good news regarding Ebola vaccine Remdesivir, tested on Covid-19 patients.

[www.statnews.com]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 17, 2020 11:33

Medicine to treat symptoms rather than a vaccine though?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 17, 2020 11:35

Retired army captain Tom Moore aimed to walk the 25 metres around his garden 100 times before his 100th birthday on 30 April.

A 99-year-old war veteran who has raised more than £14m for the NHS by walking around his garden has now completed his challenge.

Captain Tom Moore, who turns 100 at the end of the month, smashed his original target to raise £1,000 for the NHS fighting COVID-19, by walking 100 lengths of his Bedfordshire garden.

After completing the challenge - with a guard of honour from the 1st Battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment - he told Sky News that the response he has received has been "absolutely amazing", as he praised the NHS.

He said: "They're doing such a magnificent job and every day, they're putting themselves in danger, and they're doing it cheerfully and they're continuing to do that, and good for them."

Coronavirus: Veteran, 99, raises £14m for NHS as he completes garden challenge (SKY News 16 April 2020)

Bjornulf

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 17, 2020 11:39

Well done !

Not sure what's going on in China but it seems they're trying to "correct" their numbers based on the 1290 new deaths reported today : [www.worldometers.info]

"Wuhan (China), the epicenter of the pandemic, today reported 1,290 additional deaths that had not been previously counted and reported, bringing the total number of deaths in Wuhan from 2,579 to 3,869, an increase of 50%, as the result of a revision by the Wuhan New Coronary Pneumonia Epidemic Prevention and Control. As part of this revision, 325 additional cases in Wuhan were also added. Separately, China's National Health Commission (NHC) reported 26 new cases (and no deaths) in its daily report"

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 17, 2020 12:06

.... Tom Moore .... what a fine gentleman

ROCKMAN

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: April 17, 2020 13:10

bv
Retired army captain Tom Moore aimed to walk the 25 metres around his garden 100 times before his 100th birthday on 30 April.

A 99-year-old war veteran who has raised more than £14m for the NHS by walking around his garden has now completed his challenge.

Captain Tom Moore, who turns 100 at the end of the month, smashed his original target to raise £1,000 for the NHS fighting COVID-19, by walking 100 lengths of his Bedfordshire garden.

After completing the challenge - with a guard of honour from the 1st Battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment - he told Sky News that the response he has received has been "absolutely amazing", as he praised the NHS.
He said: "They're doing such a magnificent job and every day, they're putting themselves in danger, and they're doing it cheerfully and they're continuing to do that, and good for them."

Coronavirus: Veteran, 99, raises £14m for NHS as he completes garden challenge (SKY News 16 April 2020)

over £18 Million now ...also £3mill plus in gift aid to the charity.. top top effort! smileys with beer ...deeply humbled.

Whilst most of us are struggling to raise a smile, Captain Tom Moore is raising £20 Million...I do tip my hat to you Sir.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-17 13:17 by undertheradar.

Date: April 17, 2020 13:18

First of all I am deeply impressed by retired army captain Tom Moore, the best of the best of the British. Then I am also impressed by the weather, as the sun is shining upon him as well as his garden, and his guard of honour. Who said it is often raining in the British Isles?

Bjornulf

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: April 17, 2020 13:31

bv
First of all I am deeply impressed by retired army captain Tom Moore, the best of the best of the British. Then I am also impressed by the weather, as the sun is shining upon him as well as his garden, and his guard of honour. Who said it is often raining in the British Isles?

What is also impressive is that this almost Centurion has recently recovered from a broken hip and skin cancer...which is why he wanted to see if he could raise '£1000' to thank the NHS in the first place.

Date: April 17, 2020 13:37

There are dark numbers arriving painfully from nursing homes.

After Anonymous Tip, 17 Bodies Found at Nursing Home Hit by Virus (New York Times April 15, 2020)

By Monday, the police in a small New Jersey town had gotten an anonymous tip about a body being stored in a shed outside one of the state’s largest nursing homes.

When the police arrived, the corpse had been removed from the shed, but they discovered 17 bodies piled inside the nursing home in a small morgue intended to hold no more than four people.

The 17 were among 68 recent deaths linked to the long-term care facility, Andover Subacute and Rehabilitation Center I and II, including two nurses, officials said. Of those who died, 26 people had tested positive for the virus.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-17 13:37 by bv.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 17, 2020 14:18

bv

Oh it occasionally stops raining here Bjornulf winking smiley We’ve actually had some decent weather here for the last couple of weeks. Unsurprisingly, this story is all over the news here and it’s nice to see it getting attention elsewhere too. Captain Moore saw active service in WW2. There’s talk of him getting a knighthood. I am no fan of the U.K. honours system but if anyone deserves an award it’s this absolutely brilliant old man.

He’s had a mention on the U.K. Government’s daily COVID 19 Press Conferences.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...979899100101102103104105106107...LastNext
Current Page: 102 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1456
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home