Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8990919293949596979899...LastNext
Current Page: 94 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 9, 2020 15:50

DGA35
I agree but where are people going to get N95 masks? Hospitals are desperately trying to get them.

If you can wait for them for a few days you can get all types of masks from Chinese online shops such as fasttech.com, gearbest.com or aliexpress.com. Also all the ecigarette shops are well-stocked with masks, e.g. 3fvape.com, 2fdeal.com, everzon.com, heavengifts.com, healthcabin.net, 3avape.com. Many (if not all) of these shops have warehouses in the US, UK, EU or other countries/areas, from where the masks are sent. I received a pack of KN95-masks from aliexpress yesterday and a pack of surgical masks from everzon on Monday, in each case it took about one week from placing the order until the parcel arrived. Note: KN95 = N95 = FFP2. Prices vary vastly so comparing offers is worthwhile. Mine came from EU warehouses (I'm located in Europe), i.e. they were sent from inside the EU.
Best is you check what is available in a warehouse in your country/area, or if there's an indication saying "ships from …" or also "ships only to …". Make sure the stuff is marked as readily available, i.e. "ships in 24 hours", "ships the next workday" ("ships within 3 days" should also be OK) and it's not a preorder only or has an ETA at some point too far in the future. Some shops have a special shipping option for mask orders only, others offer various shipping options that differ depending on the country of destination. If there is something like "UK express", "EU express", "US special line" or the like these are usually (i.e. otherwise) quick and safe routes. Use paypal for your payment so you can get your money back easily if something goes wrong.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 9, 2020 17:42

Koen
kovach
Hindsight's always 20/20, hopefully we learn and are better prepared next time.

This is 2020.

Good one smileys with beer

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 9, 2020 18:06

MisterDDDD
IHME_UW

We project that demand for hospital beds in many European countries will exceed supply. For example, we project that the UK will need 102,794 hospital beds at the peak, compared to 17,765 available, a shortage of 85,029 beds

[twitter.com]

Resources needed for COVID-19 patients on peak date
All beds needed
102,794beds

All beds available
17,765beds
[covid19.healthdata.org]

How reliable are these figures?
Does it assume that every confirmed case= one bed required.
Currently the UK has 60000 active cases so these projections imply a massive hike over the next 5 days.
My concern is that the levels of anxiety on all fronts may not be helped by this data. I assume it is updated every 24 hours?
They suggest that every day in the UK in April we have been well below requirements, I am not aware from general news that the NHS has not coped (albeit with lots of emergency measures in place).

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 9, 2020 18:40

MileHigh
Koen
Rocknroll1969
MileHigh
Rocknroll1969
CNN said the United States is 4 percent of the worlds population. The United States has 28 percent of the Coronavirus cases. What does that say? I have been waiting for a Strong federal government response similar to what most European countries are doing.

I am totally baffled by your statement. Again, we live in the Information Age and at least with respect to this subject it's easy to find relevant information.

The US Military knew what was happening in China back in December. Trump was advised and did nothing. That’s what I call baffling.

He didn't do anything until late February. That's even more baffling.

I agree that action could have been taken sooner. On the other hand there is a strong federal government response going on right now and there has been for some time.

No there is not. They are talking a lot but not really doing much. The state governments are doing things in some states.

Date: April 9, 2020 18:42

Hairball
But facts can be viewed either positively or negatively.

True but facts are facts. Not true or false.

Date: April 9, 2020 18:46

IGTBA
The US is counting COVID 19 deaths, by counting anyone who tested, or is presumed, positive who dies. So those who are very old and/or have serious other conditions will be counted as COVID 19 deaths, if they tested or were were presumed to be positive for the virus. That will make US deaths look worse on a worldwide scale, but it is indicative of the seriousness of COVID 19.

Does anyone believe the US already has more than three times the deaths from COVID 19 as China??? That's what the numbers show! The WHO numbers! What does that say about the veracity of the WHO's numbers?

US under reporting deaths. Unless they are testing the bodies as positive for Covid many states are not classifying as Covid deaths and there are not enough tests to do it. NYC is seeing lots of cardiac arrest deaths but not counting all as Covid despite the EMT's knowing. Some red states intentionally keeping numbers lower too.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 9, 2020 18:53

daspyknows
sarahunwin
Unbelievable. Today Trump decided to close a bunch of federal testing centers – just when we need testing even more. Especially as he is so keen to open up the country again. He just doesn’t understand the type of testing that needs to be done in order for that to happen. Very sad and also very scary

He really needs to catch a bad case of it to get him to change his perspective. His response to this has been beyond comprehension.

Not beyond comprehension when you look at what you're dealing with with him.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 9, 2020 19:10

jlowe
MisterDDDD
IHME_UW

We project that demand for hospital beds in many European countries will exceed supply. For example, we project that the UK will need 102,794 hospital beds at the peak, compared to 17,765 available, a shortage of 85,029 beds

[twitter.com]

Resources needed for COVID-19 patients on peak date
All beds needed
102,794beds

All beds available
17,765beds
[covid19.healthdata.org]

How reliable are these figures?
Does it assume that every confirmed case= one bed required.
Currently the UK has 60000 active cases so these projections imply a massive hike over the next 5 days.
My concern is that the levels of anxiety on all fronts may not be helped by this data. I assume it is updated every 24 hours?
They suggest that every day in the UK in April we have been well below requirements, I am not aware from general news that the NHS has not coped (albeit with lots of emergency measures in place).

I don't know the answers to all your questions, but believe your skepticism is well placed. Definitely the model does not assume every positive = a bed though.
Would disagree that the anxieties not being helped by the data is a negative though. If anything it helps people take the isolation and other measures more seriously including field hospitals being prepared etc.

Interesting article on the push-back from some British scientists here:
New US model predicts much higher Covid-19 death toll in UK. But British scientists are skeptical

"London (CNN)British scientists have pushed back against an influential new coronavirus model that predicts the UK will be the worst-hit European country, with a death toll from Covid-19 possibly much higher than previously thought.

The grim forecast came from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington's School of Medicine in Seattle on Tuesday. It predicted 66,314 people would die of Covid-19 in the UK by early August."
[www.cnn.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 9, 2020 19:27

Sweden have a different approach on the corona virus crisis vs other countries. Schools are open, and bars are open. Today their prime minister got mad when he saw that people do not care about the social distancing recommendation.

Sweden have some 10 mill population i.e. two times Norway. These are the corona virus death numbers day by day from the past 3 days, and totals per yesterday, Sweden vs Norway:

Norway : 5 - 13 - 12 ; Total deaths = 101
Sweden : 76 - 114 - 96 ; Total deaths = 687

Löfvens skarpa uppmaning till kroggäster: Direkt oansvarigt
(P.M. Löfven's sharp call to pub guests: Directly irresponsible)
(Aftonbladet Sweden - 09 Apr 2020)

This picture is from Stockholm Sweden yesterday Wed Apr 08 - guests not really 2m /6ft apart:

Photo: AP Photo / Andres Kudacki / NTB scanpix

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-09 19:29 by bv.

Date: April 9, 2020 19:32

steffialicia
daspyknows
sarahunwin
Unbelievable. Today Trump decided to close a bunch of federal testing centers – just when we need testing even more. Especially as he is so keen to open up the country again. He just doesn’t understand the type of testing that needs to be done in order for that to happen. Very sad and also very scary

He really needs to catch a bad case of it to get him to change his perspective. His response to this has been beyond comprehension.

Not beyond comprehension when you look at what you're dealing with with him.

Well 5 years from now you can quit talking bad about him.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 9, 2020 19:47

bv
Sweden have a different approach on the corona virus crisis vs other countries. Schools are open, and bars are open. Today their prime minister got mad when he saw that people do not care about the social distancing recommendation.

Sweden have some 10 mill population i.e. two times Norway. These are the corona virus death numbers day by day from the past 3 days, and totals per yesterday, Sweden vs Norway:

This picture is from Stockholm Sweden yesterday Wed Apr 08 - guests not really 2m /6ft apart:

That is an amazing shot. Our Pubs, Bars and Nightclubs are all closed, and restaurants only open for takeout.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 9, 2020 19:58

People need to understand that things in the U.S. are done at the state level, the county level, and by non-profits and private entities. For example, state states run the health insurance systems for poor people.
The federal government can test people because it doesn't have staff. The federal government provides money.
I think the German have a similar federation type system that is holding up well.
When all this is over perhaps we can look at how different states managed this crisis and draw some conclusions.
California has done very well. If it was a country, which is practically, there is hardly a country in Europe that has such a low death rate. New York, which is connected to the world and was the last place in the U.S. to restrict travel, is being hit hard.
Sweden was mentioned there. I believe the Swedish philosophy is that this is a wave that will pass over us, but we will emerge stronger because we didn't shut down our government. The Swedes also did enough testing to know the virus was already loose in their country, primarily due to travelers. I don't know if this is the best approach, but more approaches are better.
I think Korea is doing well because the Koreans know that China lies about everything and prepared accordingly. Western elites are so intertwined with China for cheap labor they got caught by surprise.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 9, 2020 19:59

daspyknows
sarahunwin

wow

wishing this upon anyone is simply wrong.

I assume this post will be deleted soon enough....it's shameful

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 9, 2020 20:07

bv

that's why their per-capita death rate is higher than the US....the epicenter.

[www.aei.org]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 9, 2020 20:57

treaclefingers
bv

That is an amazing shot. Our Pubs, Bars and Nightclubs are all closed, and restaurants only open for takeout.

Do you mean to say that the picture IS NOT taken yesterday in Stockholm?

It is from this report:

Löfven raser: - Direkte uansvarlig (Dagbladet Norway - 9. APRIL 2020 KL. 16.05)

Anders Tegnell is quoted as follows:

Trengsel på restauranter skal unngås, og eierne har et tydelig ansvar. Det samme gjelder for uteserveringene, men også gjestene har selvfølgelig et ansvar for dette, sier statsepidemiolog, Anders Tegnell, som står i spissen for Sveriges coronastrategi.

Does this mean the bars and pubs may be open, if they like? Is the close deal just a recommendation?

Another picture from the same report, taken yesterday:

Bjornulf

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 9, 2020 21:07

daspyknows
Hairball
But facts can be viewed either positively or negatively.

True but facts are facts. Not true or false.

This is true, and along with being viewed positively or negatively, they can also be presented positively or negatively depending on the spin or slant of the source.

Date: April 9, 2020 21:10

wonderboy
People need to understand that things in the U.S. are done at the state level, the county level, and by non-profits and private entities. For example, state states run the health insurance systems for poor people.
The federal government can test people because it doesn't have staff. The federal government provides money.
I think the German have a similar federation type system that is holding up well.
When all this is over perhaps we can look at how different states managed this crisis and draw some conclusions.
California has done very well. If it was a country, which is practically, there is hardly a country in Europe that has such a low death rate. New York, which is connected to the world and was the last place in the U.S. to restrict travel, is being hit hard.
Sweden was mentioned there. I believe the Swedish philosophy is that this is a wave that will pass over us, but we will emerge stronger because we didn't shut down our government. The Swedes also did enough testing to know the virus was already loose in their country, primarily due to travelers. I don't know if this is the best approach, but more approaches are better.
I think Korea is doing well because the Koreans know that China lies about everything and prepared accordingly. Western elites are so intertwined with China for cheap labor they got caught by surprise.

Like this?

[www.npr.org]

Some local officials are disappointed the federal government will end funding for coronavirus testing sites this Friday. In a few places those sites will close as a result. This as criticism continues that not enough testing is available.

In the Philadelphia suburbs, Montgomery County has a drive-through site that has tested 250 people a day since March 21.

"It has been a very successful site. We are hoping by the time it closes Friday afternoon that we will have tested a little over 5,000 individuals," says Dr. Valerie Arkoosh, who chairs the commission in the county of more than 825,000 people.

Montgomery County has been hit hard by the pandemic. By Tuesday the county identified 1,294 positive cases and reported 32 COVID-19-related deaths.

Coronavirus State-By-State Projections: When Will Each State Peak?
SHOTS - HEALTH NEWS
Coronavirus State-By-State Projections: When Will Each State Peak?
Arkoosh says local officials staffed the site and the federal government provided much-needed testing supplies and access to a lab. "This site came with a contract with LabCorp, who accepted 250 samples from this site every day," and she says the county is not able to secure the supplies and tests on its own.

Arkoosh says the site, located on a local college campus, will shut down Friday. Similar announcements have been made in Colorado Springs, Colo., and nearby Philadelphia.

A spokesperson for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services tells NPR, "Many of the Community-Based Testing Sites (CBTS) are not closing, but rather transitioning to state-managed sites on or about April 10."

The agency and a spokesperson for FEMA say the CBTS program originally included 41 sites. It was intended as a stop-gap to bring testing to critical locations, especially for health care facility workers and first responders.

"The transition will ensure each state has the flexibility and autonomy to manage and operate testing sites within the needs of their specific community and to prioritize resources where they are needed the most," the HHS spokesperson said.

But that doesn't satisfy Arkoosh in Montgomery County, who says, "I am understandably disappointed that the supplies and federal contract for lab testing is ending just as we are heading into the surge here in southeastern Pennsylvania."

Arkoosh says local hospitals do have their own testing sites set up now, but it's not yet clear if they will be able to handle the extra testing now that the federal help is being withdrawn.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 9, 2020 21:26

Six feet apart is the general rule now at least in America

Source : Common Knowledge at this point,

Date: April 9, 2020 21:30

It's more efficient when the states do it. They have the manpower and the local knowledge.
Any media outlet can find some local person who is unhappy. If this local person works through the existing state infrastructure he will be happy in a few days.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 9, 2020 21:41

Ha Ha Ha I get bashed for praising my Country and Administration for doing everything in the World to help Americans help each other, Yet the can't practice general anti COVID-19 Safety Practices.

i advise cleaning up your own mess before badmouthing others.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 9, 2020 21:51

daspyknows
IGTBA
The US is counting COVID 19 deaths, by counting anyone who tested, or is presumed, positive who dies. So those who are very old and/or have serious other conditions will be counted as COVID 19 deaths, if they tested or were were presumed to be positive for the virus. That will make US deaths look worse on a worldwide scale, but it is indicative of the seriousness of COVID 19.

Does anyone believe the US already has more than three times the deaths from COVID 19 as China??? That's what the numbers show! The WHO numbers! What does that say about the veracity of the WHO's numbers?

US under reporting deaths. Unless they are testing the bodies as positive for Covid many states are not classifying as Covid deaths and there are not enough tests to do it. NYC is seeing lots of cardiac arrest deaths but not counting all as Covid despite the EMT's knowing. Some red states intentionally keeping numbers lower too.

Link to story please, God forbid there's some fake news floating around....

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 9, 2020 23:02

First, any person who dies from corona is one too many, but for what it is worth ... in the USA the yearly death toll for car accidents is about 40.000 ...
With the changed (almost forced upon) daily routines due to corona that number should become considerably lower. Just like with corona, any death because of car accidents is one too many, but corona (how rediculous it sounds) saves quite some other lifes. And car deaths is just one example of several other causes of death that will go down ...
Bizarre...

Date: April 9, 2020 23:07

The Germans have also been accused of under-reporting deaths.
However, there is a difference between dying from Covid vs. dying with Covid.
Let's say the patient is 75, a lifetime smoker and has diabetes. Some would say that he died of the virus, some would say it merely tipped the balance and that his health condition left him vulnerable to any cold or flu.

Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: April 9, 2020 23:14

daspyknows
IGTBA

What is your source for that, please? Because your position is different from what I have heard and read, including from top medical officials in government. Also, compared to other countries death rates, the US rate does not appear to be under counting. There is lots of incorrect "news" being spread around.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 9, 2020 23:24

New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy on Wawa Morgue Trucks, Trump and the Terrifying New Normal

“We’re up against it, folks. And this is what you’re going to have to do, even though it’s really uncomfortable. This is a fact, whether it’s a refrigerated morgue trailer truck or whatever it might be”

By Brenna Ehrlich
April 9, 2020

Michael Brochstein/Sipa USA/AP

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 9, 2020 23:57

georgie48
First, any person who dies from corona is one too many, but for what it is worth ... in the USA the yearly death toll for car accidents is about 40.000 ...
With the changed (almost forced upon) daily routines due to corona that number should become considerably lower. Just like with corona, any death because of car accidents is one too many, but corona (how rediculous it sounds) saves quite some other lifes. And car deaths is just one example of several other causes of death that will go down ...
Bizarre...

Also, for what it's worth I read that the 2008 financial crash and subsequent recession led to 200,000 deaths in the UK.
Not sure how the figure was arrived at but austerity obviously cut into health and social care budgets.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: April 10, 2020 00:03

Here in NYC, the virus capital of the world, deaths are up over yesterday's count. Still hard to find an abundance of food. Thank goodness for weed delivery!

Date: April 10, 2020 00:06

DREAMTIME
Here in NYC, the virus capital of the world, deaths are up over yesterday's count. Still hard to find an abundance of food. Thank goodness for weed delivery!

But.....doesn't that make you want more food?

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 10, 2020 00:46

Dr. John Campbell goes over a research paper discussing safe distances for breathing, coughing, and sneezing. Realistically, even six feet is not enough.

However, it's a great disappointment that he only discusses the surgeon-type cloth mask and he does not discuss N95 masks or better to protect a healthy person. Nonetheless, there is very good information in his video.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 10, 2020 01:44

A very good site to go to to get what is most probably reliable data about the impact across the world is [www.worldometers.info] . Mentioned before, always worth a reminder.

For the record, at the moment (10th April morning in Australia) it's showing that the deaths per million in the USA is at 50 and the deaths per million in Sweden is 79.

There's a huge amount of well presented data there.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8990919293949596979899...LastNext
Current Page: 94 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1435
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home