Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8586878889909192939495...LastNext
Current Page: 90 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 7, 2020 16:25

Taylor1
Most viruses seem to come from humans eating animals ,HIV, Swine Flu, , Ebola,SARS, Mers,probably Coronavirus .Maybe we should become vegans or at least only fish. I would like to try impossible burgers , but they have too much salt.And certainly your government has to have stringent regulations to prevent people eating infected animals.We at least in America have these requirements to insure people don’t eat contaminated meat or poultry.Hopefully that won’t change

Personally, I have no faith in the FDA, as they are in bed with the Big Pharma and Big Farm here in America. If you truly think that the FDA is looking out for you, then you need to watch some documentaries to the reality of it all. I much prefer to eat foods imported from Europe, where there truly exists stringent regulations over foods and they do not allow pesticides and other cancer-causing elements to be added to foods.

Date: April 7, 2020 16:39

Schools in upstate NY, where my kids live, are giving out homework assignments daily thru the school's website to be completed by the students. No online classes like in the Burroughs of NYC. Regents exams have been cancelled and I really don't know how/when they can be rescheduled if the school year is over and students will be pushed thru to the next grade. How can students be expected to remember things that they had learned in the first half of the school year, and also be expected to learn new concepts (my 15 year old son is taking Geometry) on their own??? My daughter is expected to graduate in June. I don't really see that still taking place, though I've not seen any memo about it being officially cancelled. Same with her prom - I doubt it takes place. My 15 year old turns 16 two weeks from today, and he is bummed that he can't take his learner's permit exam, because DMV has put off all driving exams. He is still working though, which makes me extremely nervous, as he works in a restaurant and when he was a young boy he suffered bad respiratory issues and had to do breathing treatments each day. Thankfully he grew out of it, but I worry that of my 3 kids, he would be the most prone to this disease, and he is the only one leaving the house and risking being exposed to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-07 16:39 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 7, 2020 17:28

VoodooLounge13
Schools in upstate NY, where my kids live, are giving out homework assignments daily thru the school's website to be completed by the students. No online classes like in the Burroughs of NYC. Regents exams have been cancelled and I really don't know how/when they can be rescheduled if the school year is over and students will be pushed thru to the next grade. How can students be expected to remember things that they had learned in the first half of the school year, and also be expected to learn new concepts (my 15 year old son is taking Geometry) on their own??? My daughter is expected to graduate in June. I don't really see that still taking place, though I've not seen any memo about it being officially cancelled. Same with her prom - I doubt it takes place. My 15 year old turns 16 two weeks from today, and he is bummed that he can't take his learner's permit exam, because DMV has put off all driving exams. He is still working though, which makes me extremely nervous, as he works in a restaurant and when he was a young boy he suffered bad respiratory issues and had to do breathing treatments each day. Thankfully he grew out of it, but I worry that of my 3 kids, he would be the most prone to this disease, and he is the only one leaving the house and risking being exposed to it.

April May June are a complete wipeout here in the UK
I am in the Event Industry and we are dubious about July Aug and Sept
My wife is a teacher. She may and I repeat "may" go back in Sept

In the US you are maybe a couple of weeks behind us
Your kid ...that has had respiratory problems ...sorry to say he needs to quit that job and fast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-07 17:30 by exhpart.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 7, 2020 17:37

Norway Government press conference today at 4pm:

- Kindergarten opens April 20
- Children school from 1st to 4th grade i.e. age 6-9 opens April 27
- All events with crowds canceled up to June 15

Plans for extensive testing after Easter, as the close down is changing slowly.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 7, 2020 17:37

Nate
bv
Testing is still one of the mest important tools in taking control over the coronavirus, according to WHO.

The US president in a press conference yesterday Monday April 6:

"We are doing a better job than any country in the world now with testing"

Fact check:

According to worldometers, as sorted by number of tests per 1 million in the population, USA is now number 41 in the list of the testing. USA have tested 5,841 per million, while 40 other counties/areas like Italy, Denmark, Germany, Lithuania, Spain, Portugal, Iceland and so on have tested 7,500 - 81,000 people per one million.

Trump angrily lashes out when confronted with critiques of coronavirus response (CNN - Tuesday April 7, 2020)

Coronavirus: Testing and why it matters (BBC - Monday 6 April 2020)

Yes it’s a shame how some people can’t see the truth even when it’s right in front of their face.

Nate

Date: April 7, 2020 17:40

bv
Testing is still one of the mest important tools in taking control over the coronavirus, according to WHO.

Fact check:

According to worldometers, as sorted by number of tests per 1 million in the population, USA is now number 41 in the list of the testing. USA have tested 5,841 per million, while 40 other counties/areas like Italy, Denmark, Germany, Lithuania, Spain, Portugal, Iceland and so on have tested 7,500 - 81,000 people per one million.

Trump angrily lashes out when confronted with critiques of coronavirus response (CNN - Tuesday April 7, 2020)

Curious what is to be gained by including the CNN piece. It's a side story...

Date: April 7, 2020 17:47

exhpart
VoodooLounge13

Your kid ...that has had respiratory problems ...sorry to say he needs to quit that job and fast

I wish I had that much pull with the ex-wife, but alas I do not. I did tell my son to make sure he had Forsythia though, and if he does not to let me know so that I can buy some and ship it to him.

Date: April 7, 2020 17:52

I must admit that I never really used to be a conspiracy theory person - even with the dubious 9/11 attacks, and how those were foreshadowed in some tv shows and movies ahead of time. However, having now seen the movie Contagion and seeing just how closely the events in that movie align with what is going on in the world right now - right down to the virus having originated in China from a bat and causing a respiratory virus around the world that kills 1000's and virtually shuts down the world has me giving strong credence to the whole idea. Granted, I know Hong Kong is technically NOT China, but there is much debate about that, and with the annexing of it, well....As well as to the other notions like the Illuminati and the possibility that there are a select few individuals in a secret society who control and run the whole world. The whole idea had, at one time, seem quite preposterous to me. But these days, I'm really not so sure anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-07 17:53 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: April 7, 2020 17:55

VoodooLounge13
exhpart
VoodooLounge13

I wish I had that much pull with the ex-wife, but alas I do not. I did tell my son to make sure he had Forsythia though, and if he does not to let me know so that I can buy some and ship it to him.

Well it won't be long and the restaurant will be closed anyway ...stay safe you and your family

Date: April 7, 2020 18:00

Maindefender
bv

Fact check:

My quote is from the video in the CNN story, where the US president is saying:

Bjornulf

Date: April 7, 2020 18:04

bv

Don't think this will happen like this bv ...children seem to be very resistant to this but we still had a 13 year old die in the UK last weekend. Alone with family kept away. And what about teachers? I know Norway is cold does that kill the virus (real question)?

Date: April 7, 2020 18:05

Denmark have banned all crowds and events until the end of August 2020.

The Roskilde Festival will not happen this year. The next one is 2021:

ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT CORONAVIRUS (roskilde-festival.dk - PUBLISHED TUESDAY 7.4.2020)

Bjornulf

Date: April 7, 2020 18:07

exhpart
VoodooLounge13
exhpart
VoodooLounge13

Well it won't be long and the restaurant will be closed anyway ...stay safe you and your family

To clarify, the restaurant is closed for sit-down diners, but open for pick-up and delivery. Even so, it still makes me nervous for him.

Date: April 7, 2020 18:09

exhpart
bv

Don't think this will happen like this bv ...children seem to be very resistant to this but we still had a 13 year old die in the UK last weekend. Alone with family kept away. And what about teachers? I know Norway is cold does that kill the virus (real question)?

Norway has got the coronavirus flat after 4 weeks of shutdown. The R is now 0.7, see my previous posts. The government will monitor and test a lot. There will be rules of hand wash, distance, etc.

They are prepared to see the R going from 0.7 into 1.0 or 1.2, but if that is happening, then they will control and shut down.

There is a major damage when small children do not socialize. Some have a better life at school than at home. Parents may go to work if the children may go to school. Still, this is highly controlled, they may shut down in a day if they see changes in the R = virus replication factor.

Bjornulf

Date: April 7, 2020 18:16

A Norwegian man in the 50's was fined a penalty of NOK 40,000 i.e. usd 4,000 because he broke the rules of quarantine. He arrived back from a trip to England March 15, and was asked to quarantine for 14 days. Six days later he went to work, breaking the quarantine. A few days later he got sick, went to the doctor, and passed on the corona virus to his doctor, and two other people in that office.

Bjornulf

Date: April 7, 2020 18:19

bv
exhpart
bv

Norway has got the coronavirus flat after 4 weeks of shutdown. The R is now 0.7, see my previous posts. The government will monitor and test a lot. There will be rules of hand wash, distance, etc.

They are prepared to see the R going from 0.7 into 1.0 or 1.2, but if that is happening, then they will control and shut down.

There is a major damage when small children do not socialize. Some have a better life at school than at home. Parents may go to work if the children may go to school. Still, this is highly controlled, they may shut down in a day if they see changes in the R = virus replication factor.

Ok. I didn't know this. Norway caught it very early clearly. In the UK we are playing catch up now. Trump is even further behind but thank God he seems to be surrounded by good advice and even he does seem to be listening to it.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 7, 2020 18:41

bv
exhpart
bv

You are so accurate when you say "major damage when small children do not socialize" I thought of that yesterday and remembered a school teacher in grade school saying that we kids had to learn to play and get along with all types of children , no matter our skin color , that was in Kindergarten . Isolation stunts children's development . Kids then miss out on so much actual fun activity besides regular lessons . For instance , music lessons , organized team sports , that is the real crime for kids to be deprived of some of the most fun activities when they are so ripe for development !

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 7, 2020 18:49

Whist people in some countries seem to be preparing exit strategies on the belief that their 'peak' has passed, spare a thought for Singapore who were one of the first countries affected by the virus. They have not gone into full lockout but early on put in some very practical measures eg travel restrictions.
BUT check the figures of new daily cases:
From 16 March:
17/23/47/32//47/23/54/49/73/52/49/70/42/47/74/49/65/75/120/66.
Fortunately the figure for Deaths is at 6. The city has a good health system (if you can afford the cover). Obviously...and I hope this applies everywhere.. ones individual finances are not a factor.

So, they recorded their highest figure last Sunday (120).
Only four of those infected have had recent travel history.

I would be wary in putting to much store by some of the predictions. The latest figure for deaths in the UK is a range from 7000 to 20000. Hedge betting analysis is the new norm.

Date: April 7, 2020 19:20

bv
Maindefender
bv

Fact check:

My quote is from the video in the CNN story, where the US president is saying:

He's a blowhard, but I don't consider his Covid team to be so and that's what matters to me. Trump being a blowhard is a side story...

Date: April 7, 2020 19:22

We are learning more about the corona virus disease covid-19 every week every month now. There are in fact 200 or more countries/areas in the world now with different approaches. Some are slow, some are fast. Some are small, like Iceland, some are large, like China, India and USA. Some live by a democratic rule set, others have authoritative rules and regulations.

By learning, acting and making the best out of what we all do experience, I am sure we will get through this virus nightmare in a great way. Sure we will have 12-18 months of exceptional life, probably way into 2021, but our leaders and our experts will find ways to contain and control the virus, so that we can keep the economy and our lives going without too much damage. I don't think we will have any sports, music or cultural crowds 50+ any place any time this year, and holiday travel may be history for a while, but this is not the end of the world.

When people and countries stop fighting about who to blame and what went wrong, but rather work and cooperate with solutions, also globally, not just thinking of themselves, then I am sure we will see many great new innovations in the time to come.

Bjornulf

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 7, 2020 19:40

In a show of leadership seldom demonstrated, Jacinda Ardern, PM of New Zealand responded to concerns expressed by children by signing a proclamation declaring the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy to be essential workers. Full props to her for realizing that kids need this kind of assurance or normalcy during a crisis, and not being afraid to sweat the small stuff to deliver that assurance. (Oh, they’re also flattening the curve like crazy... this is in addition to the big stuff, not instead of it...)

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 7, 2020 20:05

SomeTorontoGirl
In a show of leadership seldom demonstrated, Jacinda Ardern, PM of New Zealand responded to concerns expressed by children by signing a proclamation declaring the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy to be essential workers. Full props to her for realizing that kids need this kind of assurance or normalcy during a crisis, and not being afraid to sweat the small stuff to deliver that assurance. (Oh, they’re also flattening the curve like crazy... this is in addition to the big stuff, not instead of it...)

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Good for the kids !

Date: April 7, 2020 20:30

Further predictions (death).
These come from the University of Washington (Schol of Medicine).
It predicts:
-66,000 deaths in the UK (during the first wave of the pandemic)
-82,000 deaths across the USA.

Oh, and the States have around five times the population of the UK.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 7, 2020 20:59

jlowe
These come from the University of Washington (Schol of Medicine).
It predicts:

Horrific numbers.
Keep in mind the prediction is based on the current data re social distancing measures, testing, stay at home orders, etc.
A lot of which is changing rapidly in some areas, which will drive the estimates down.
Drives home the importance of all the measures we all need to do and maintain.

Date: April 7, 2020 21:13

jlowe
These come from the University of Washington (School of Medicine).
It predicts:

I think the IHME predictions are too pessimistic, i.e. they have too high fatality numbers. Both USA and UK are now showing curves that are not going so steep up anymore.

These are the IHME predictions:

[covid19.healthdata.org] (IHME, University of Washington, Seattle, USA)

However, the UK deaths day by day have been going down for two days now, significantly, from 708 on Apr 4, down to 621 Apr 5 and then 431 yesterday

[www.worldometers.info] (worldometers uk)

The USA numbers are more unstable, probably because there are 50 states with different rulesets and timing of the virus peaks.

[www.worldometers.info] (worldometers usa)

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-07 21:16 by bv.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 7, 2020 22:00

all the talk about Corona being the "great equalizer" is total bunk.

[www.msn.com]

if anything, the virus is exposing INequalities....including disparities of wealth, access to health care & testing, likelihood of exposure....along with overall levels of concern (depending on who is sick/dying).

add it to the List of Things We'll Need to Address when all this is over...but, we probably won't.

sigh.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 7, 2020 22:16

MAF
MisterDDDD
‘I’m shaking hands continuously. I was at a hospital the other night where there were actually some covid patients and I shook hands with everybody. People can make up their own mind but I think it’s very important to keep shaking hands." – Boris Johnson
[twitter.com]

Blondie doesn't understand a lot about Corona...

I think he does by now.
(I was a bit too rude in another mail, so bv took it off (good decisionwinking smiley)
I hope he didn't shake hands with Mick J. And Bob Geldolf though ...

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: April 7, 2020 22:38

This is an interesting news story.

[www.nytimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-07 22:39 by Rocknroll1969.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 7, 2020 23:54

SomeTorontoGirl

[www.washingtonpost.com]

She is a real leader--I've admired her ever since seeing her handling of the mosque killings.

Date: April 7, 2020 23:59

bv
jlowe
These come from the University of Washington (School of Medicine).
It predicts:

I think the IHME predictions are too pessimistic, i.e. they have too high fatality numbers. Both USA and UK are now showing curves that are not going so steep up anymore.

These are the IHME predictions:

[covid19.healthdata.org] (IHME, University of Washington, Seattle, USA)

However, the UK deaths day by day have been going down for two days now, significantly, from 708 on Apr 4, down to 621 Apr 5 and then 431 yesterday

[www.worldometers.info] (worldometers uk)

The USA numbers are more unstable, probably because there are 50 states with different rulesets and timing of the virus peaks.

[www.worldometers.info] (worldometers usa)

Do the IMHE have much credibility?
UK
6 April 1258 deaths projected. 439 actual
7 April 1233 projected 786 actual

Then you wonder why some people do not take these projections seriously.Even their 'range' figures are way out,and they are supposed to be current,revised, taking into account measures in place,

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8586878889909192939495...LastNext
Current Page: 90 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home