Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8485868788899091929394...LastNext
Current Page: 89 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 6, 2020 22:14

MisterDDDD
Tiger at NYC’s Bronx Zoo tests positive for coronavirus

NEW YORK (AP) — A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the new coronavirus, in what is believed to be the first known infection in an animal in the U.S. or a tiger anywhere, federal officials and the zoo said Sunday.

The 4-year-old Malayan tiger named Nadia — and six other tigers and lions that have also fallen ill — are believed to have been infected by a zoo employee who wasn’t yet showing symptoms, the zoo said."
[www.seattletimes.com]

Scary to think that this could be transmitted to some animals or vice versa.

I wonder if Gorillas, Monkeys, Chimps and the like will be under scrutiny?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-06 22:16 by jlowe.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: April 6, 2020 22:16

Boris Johnson is now in intensive care.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 6, 2020 22:20

WelshEdge1
Boris Johnson is now in intensive care.

[twitter.com]

Oh crikey. I do hope he pulls through.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 6, 2020 22:27

Pray for British PM Boris Johnson- moved to Intensive Care. Source: All

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: April 6, 2020 22:36

British Prime minister is in a very good intensive care unit but virus has clearly hit him hard.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 6, 2020 22:37

jlowe
I wonder if Gorillas, Monkeys, Chimps and the like will be under scrutiny?

Gorillas certainly are - the lowland gorillas have been deemed very vulnerable and the hiking tours into the areas where they live (which were controlled, admitting only a certain number of people daily) have been cancelled.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: April 6, 2020 22:42

EJM
British Prime minister is in a very good intensive care unit but virus has clearly hit him hard.

Shows how quickly you can deteriorate.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 6, 2020 22:51

bv
Denmark is banning all larger events until the end of August. Still, they will open kindergarten and schools up to 5th grade after Easter, as they do now have a certain control of the spread of the virus, through the current lockdown.

[ekstrabladet.dk]

Even allowing for the fact that schools won't be reconvening for two weeks or so, is this a bit premature? The Worldometer stats only suggest an improvement in the last day or so. As we have seen from other countries, you surely need a full week of positive figures.
Maybe the view is that the little ones are stastically unlikely to get affected....but what about Teachers, Parents etc?

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 6, 2020 22:54

The process of life on Earth is a continuous struggle involving chemical, bacteriological, and viral warfare. I watched a fascinating documentary once about how a certain species of tree evolved to produce a cycle of different toxins throughout the year to fight of insects and other enemies. The tree was on the edge of poisoning itself to death just to stay alive. Life is short, brutal, harsh and one giant continuous arena of war. Your own body is at war even when you are perfectly healthy.

We need to develop a vaccination, and this major viral war will be over. But sometime in the future another viral war will start up again.

There was a great British TV series called Survivors from 1975. It's really a good binge watch. A virus wipes out 99.98% of humanity, (no zombies), and the remaining people have to learn how to survive.

[www.imdb.com]

Date: April 6, 2020 23:02

Maybe I shouldn't post this message but i will. I'm very concerned for British PM Boris Johnson. Yes I know that every family has certain COVID -19 concerns , I hope he pulls through - This is very depressing and worrisome.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 6, 2020 23:03

Let's hope the Best for Boris Johnson. I checked and he is 55 years old so hopefully he will pull though. His immune system needs to develop the right antibody, and hopefully that kicks in soon.

The last time I was really sick was about 20 years ago. I was in bed for three days straight with high fever and sweat-filled sheets. On the third day my immune system "found" the right antibody and within about two hours I got up and felt pretty much fine and well. The change was so sudden, I was quite surprised.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 6, 2020 23:07

MileHigh
Let's hope the Best for Boris Johnson. I checked and he is 55 years old so hopefully he will pull though. His immune system needs to develop the right antibody, and hopefully that kicks in soon.

The last time I was really sick was about 20 years ago. I was in bed for three days straight with high fever and sweat-filled sheets. On the third day my immune system "found" the right antibody and within about two hours I got up and felt pretty much fine and well. The change was so sudden, I was quite surprised.

God Bless You mate! That's how our defense should work!!!smileys with beer

Date: April 6, 2020 23:13

Yes he is in good care - I'm watching local ATV News channel and coverage is widespread- Interviews with British Doctors are positive....

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 7, 2020 00:08

Best wishes to PM Boris Johnson!

Posted by: terry ()
Date: April 7, 2020 00:09

Since boris has been our prime minister he has not stopped,
his body is tired and now is the time to rest and recover.
He is in the best place and in safe hands.

footnote
youtube....Title ... Possible ray of hope for corona virus GMA

A drug named Remdesiver was used to treat ebola and not successful, is now being used to treat seriously ill corona patients and is having positive results.

I've not read through previous post so i apologize in advance if already mentioned.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 7, 2020 00:13

This is a terrible time, good luck and prayers to everyone one on this site!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 7, 2020 00:56

Schools officially closed through the end of the year here in Washington announced today.

Washington state K-12 schools will not reopen this school year, Gov. Inslee says
"We cannot risk losing the gains after the peak of this pandemic presumably will have passed," Inslee said. He said that efforts to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus would be as important as the curve of the viral transmission goes down as they were as it went up."
[www.kuow.org]

Daughter is bummed, but I could see this one coming and am somewhat relieved.
Also- thinking of having her health checked again.. what 14yo is upset there's no school cool smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 7, 2020 01:18

THE AGE -- 7 April 2020 ………..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 7, 2020 02:32

MileHigh

There was a great British TV series called Survivors from 1975. It's really a good binge watch. A virus wipes out 99.98% of humanity, (no zombies), and the remaining people have to learn how to survive.

[www.imdb.com]

I have good cause to remember it very well indeed. In 1974 and into 1975 a good friend and I were discussing jointly writing a SF book. We exchanged ideas, plotline thoughts, scenarios....

But we had to abandon the idea when "Survivors" was aired. You can guess why!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 7, 2020 10:24

MisterDDDD
Schools officially closed through the end of the year here in Washington announced today.

Washington state K-12 schools will not reopen this school year, Gov. Inslee says
"We cannot risk losing the gains after the peak of this pandemic presumably will have passed," Inslee said. He said that efforts to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus would be as important as the curve of the viral transmission goes down as they were as it went up."
[www.kuow.org]

Daughter is bummed, but I could see this one coming and am somewhat relieved.
Also- thinking of having her health checked again.. what 14yo is upset there's no school cool smiley

1 that's coming up on the dating years. time for the charles barkley rules of dating my teenage daughter: shoot the first one & hope word gets out. seriously, i hope all is well with you & your family. again, i think inslee is making the right call on this one. while its not easy, i think the measures that have been put in place are helping. its still not a pretty picture though. be glad you are up in whatcom county. seattle is down right spooky now. 1 positive thing: its really nice to drive around with hardly any traffic! especially when it was nice & sunny like yesterday. seems like an allowable action since no contact with anyone. i live in west seattle & traffic is going to be a horror show when things get back to normal. don't know if you are familiar with the west seattle high rise bridge but its closed possibly for several months. cracks in the concrete supports. 100000 cars a day use that when things are normal. right now the alternatives are handling the increase but that is going to change in a really bad way. i'm grasping at straws here,haha. take care, you & family, mr ddd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-07 10:26 by crholmstrom.

Date: April 7, 2020 10:53

Long Food Lines in South Florida (with Pics) - 500,000 out of work

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 7, 2020 11:57

Finland is beginning random tests of the population.

We have 27 deaths so far, 2308 confirmed cases with 231 of them hospitalized, 81 in ICU.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-07 16:45 by Topi.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 7, 2020 12:38

Norway had a press conference on the current situation yesterday.

Four days after lockdown March 12, i.e. 3 weeks ago, the virus was spreading from one person on to 2.5 other persons on average. They call that "The R" = R = Reproduction rate = 2.5.

Today the R = 0.7 in Norway. This means the virus is being knocked down in our country over time.

The health authorities had a prediction model where they have curves of virus spread versus different lockdown situations. The curves do have potential peaks from April to late 2020. The only way to keep the virus down is to continue controlled lockdown, with heavily testing all the way, all through the year.

Today at 4pm the Norwegian Government will inform us about how the lockdown will be after Easter. Everybody assume they will continue the lockdown. Still, we might do like Denmark, possibly, by may be opening kindergarten and the children's schools up to say grade 3 or 5.

Everybody in our country do know that the current R=0.7 came at a price, and nobody want to give that chance away. The population is prepared for a further lockdown, to protect lives, and to keep the health system working through this crisis.

Bjornulf

Date: April 7, 2020 13:10

Testing is still one of the mest important tools in taking control over the coronavirus, according to WHO.

The US president in a press conference yesterday Monday April 6:

"We are doing a better job than any country in the world now with testing"

Fact check:

According to worldometers, as sorted by number of tests per 1 million in the population, USA is now number 41 in the list of the testing. USA have tested 5,841 per million, while 40 other counties/areas like Italy, Denmark, Germany, Lithuania, Spain, Portugal, Iceland and so on have tested 7,500 - 81,000 people per one million.

Trump angrily lashes out when confronted with critiques of coronavirus response (CNN - Tuesday April 7, 2020)

Coronavirus: Testing and why it matters (BBC - Monday 6 April 2020)

Bjornulf

Date: April 7, 2020 13:38

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), University of Washington, Seattle, USA are maintaining an advanced live prediction model for the development of the covid-19 disease. Their live model is based on cases as well as measures taken related to "stay at home" orders and so on.

Current predictions for USA:

8 days until peak resource use on April 15, 2020
9 days until projected peak in daily deaths on April 16, 2020

Numbers for other countries may be seen by changing the dropdown selector related to the list of countries.

Comment:

When looking at the predictions for Norway, they do not match the predictions as presented at the press conference yesterday, as IHME are predicting the peak for Norway to April 20. Also, the prediction is 669 COVID-19 deaths projected by August 4, 2020 for Norway. We will see how reliable the model is by next week.

COVID-19 projections assuming full social distancing through May 2020 (IHME live data)

Bjornulf

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-07 13:42 by bv.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 7, 2020 14:01

It looks very promissing, in fact too much, I think. But it would be great if it was true. The last person who would die in our country would be on the 2nd of May. In Austria even little earlier, in Germany only a little later. Even Italy should have the end in sight. Hard to believe right now, but what do I know? We will see.

Date: April 7, 2020 14:32

I have been watching the UW prediction model for a bit and have seen Washington State over (under?) performing the model. Original peak date here a couple weeks ago was Apr 19.
Now, the peak date was April 2.
Have been comparing it to Florida, where shutdown orders have been late, beaches open etc., and have been grateful we got on the shutdown measures early as their projected peak date is now Apr 21,

With no real national shutdown and varying degrees of isolation measures, it concerns me that we could get it under control in Wa, and then deal with it again, or longer, as people travel and flare ups continue. A good analogy I read was "It's like having a peeing section in the swimming pool". Think it may be just a matter of time until domestic travel is severely restricted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-07 14:34 by MisterDDDD.

Date: April 7, 2020 15:09

crholmstrom
1 that's coming up on the dating years. time for the charles barkley rules of dating my teenage daughter: shoot the first one & hope word gets out. seriously, i hope all is well with you & your family. again, i think inslee is making the right call on this one. while its not easy, i think the measures that have been put in place are helping. its still not a pretty picture though. be glad you are up in whatcom county. seattle is down right spooky now. 1 positive thing: its really nice to drive around with hardly any traffic! especially when it was nice & sunny like yesterday. seems like an allowable action since no contact with anyone. i live in west seattle & traffic is going to be a horror show when things get back to normal. don't know if you are familiar with the west seattle high rise bridge but its closed possibly for several months. cracks in the concrete supports. 100000 cars a day use that when things are normal. right now the alternatives are handling the increase but that is going to change in a really bad way. i'm grasping at straws here,haha. take care, you & family, mr ddd

Love that Barkley quote cool smiley
Took a drive down to Seattle last week, just dropping something off down that way, and drove around a bit. Was a bit shocked to see how many businesses were literally boarded up, Very familiar with the bridge.. fortunate it comes at a time when more people staying at home, hope they can get it repaired quickly.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 7, 2020 15:53

bv
Testing is still one of the mest important tools in taking control over the coronavirus, according to WHO.

The US president in a press conference yesterday Monday April 6:

"We are doing a better job than any country in the world now with testing"

Fact check:

According to worldometers, as sorted by number of tests per 1 million in the population, USA is now number 41 in the list of the testing. USA have tested 5,841 per million, while 40 other counties/areas like Italy, Denmark, Germany, Lithuania, Spain, Portugal, Iceland and so on have tested 7,500 - 81,000 people per one million.

Trump angrily lashes out when confronted with critiques of coronavirus response (CNN - Tuesday April 7, 2020)

Coronavirus: Testing and why it matters (BBC - Monday 6 April 2020)

Yes it’s a shame how some people can’t see the truth even when it’s right in front of their face.

Nate

Date: April 7, 2020 16:22

New UW analysis lowers coronavirus death projections and suggests hospitalizations may have already peaked in Washington

"The UW’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) says the state can expect roughly 632 deaths, compared to an estimate 10 days ago of more than 1,400 fatal cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

IHME Director Christopher Murray said the analysis shows that Washington — the state where the virus first took hold — is also among the first places in the country to begin bringing the epidemic under control. Gov. Jay Inslee cited the improved forecasts in his decision to return 400 ventilators to the national stockpile for use in harder-hit areas."
[www.seattletimes.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8485868788899091929394...LastNext
Current Page: 89 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home